Last 5 games head to head

Rd 12 2010 WB 17.19 121 BL 8.8 56
Rd 4 2010 BL 13.23 101 WB 12.7 79
SF2 2009 WB 16.11 107 WB 8.8 56
Rd 20 2009 WB 15.12 102 BL 12.12 84
Rd 20 2008 BL 13.12 90 WB 10.19 79

Form leading in

Western Bulldogs

The supporters of the Whitten Oval breed must have been disappointed with the type of football their players dished up for the opening round of the season. After a competitive first stanza the Doggies were subsequently outplayed and outclassed for three straight quarters. It was a smashing, and only made worse by the fact that it came at the hands of the reviled Bombers.

There were few positives for the Bulldogs to come from the match. Libba Jr. looked good before fading, and by all reports an undermanned and inexperienced backline performed manfully under heavy fire. The selection of only one ruckman raised a few eyebrows amongst the faithful, and their concerns were justified when the mobile duo of Hille and Ryder ran rampant. To top it all off, emerging young back man Easton Wood was lost for up to two months with an ankle injury.

Gilbee should come back in and slot into the position vacated by Wood. It would be hoped that he can reverse the current trend of his form and find the dash and precision disposal by foot that is so vital to the Dogs. Minson is almost certain to return after the ruck debacle, but the question of who he replaces needs answering. For team balance, Jones seems the obvious exclusion, but at 20 years of age and a key forward of the future, it’s imperative that the coaching staff get games into him.

Addison returns from suspension and can be expected to inject his usual mix of aggression and toughness if selected. Mitch Wallis may be selected to make his debut, with Barlow and Moles sure to be in the mix also. One of Hill or Stack may be unlucky to be dropped for team balance.

A proliferation of one speed midfielders and a complete absence of forward line pressure are two areas that the Bulldogs coaching staff will need to address.

Brisbane Lions

After a torrid 2010 that culminated in the departure of two of their most talented, and one of their most unpredictable, the Lions performed admirably in a slugfest with the Dockers, only to lose a heartbreaker at the death. Stymied by a litany of injuries, and hampered by an early substitution, they were reduced to only 19 fit players for most of the fourth quarter. Losing unfashionable but versatile utility Staker, potentially for the season, is quite a blow as his experience and mobility will be greatly missed.

A shocking injury to Captain Jonathan Brown and the late withdrawal of perennial ball magnet Luke Power only served to hinder their cause further, but they would be happy that their list of best players for the game includes emerging young talent in Rockliff, Rich and Hanley. Despite the loss, the Lions can be proud of the fortitude of their players in trying circumstances.

Potential Line Ups

Western Bulldogs

B: Stack, Markovic, Morris
HB: Murphy, Williams, Gilbee
C: Griffen, Boyd, Ward
HF: Higgins, Grant, Giansiracusa
F: Addison, Hall, Cooney
Foll: Hudson, Cross, Liberatore
I/C: Picken, Minson, Djerrkura, Sherman
Emg: Wallis, Barlow, Hill

Brisbane Lions

B: McGrath, Merrett, Hanley
HB: Adcock, Patfull, Stiller
C: Redden, Black, Rockliff
HF: Power, Clark, O’Brien
F: Beams, Maguire, Banfield
Foll: Leuenberger, Rich, Raines
I/C: Polkinghorne, Buchanan, Lester, Bewick
Emg: Collier, Sheldon, ?

Key Match ups

Minson/Hudson vs. Leuenberger/Clark

Once bitten, twice shy. There’s simply no way the Bulldogs can risk the one ruck approach again, particularly against a side that has two fairly competent rucks of their own. Ascendency in the ruck and first use of the ball will go a long way to determining the outcome of the match. The Bulldogs playing two rucks is not the real issue here though, it’s what role the resting ruckman is able to perform, given neither Minson nor Hudson are really versatile enough to play elsewhere. The compromised bench may become an issue, and I fear Liam Jones will be sacrificed for team balance.

Markovic vs. Clark

The absence of Brown might force Clark to play as more of a permanent forward, which probably suits the Bulldogs. Whilst Clark is fairly mobile, he’s neither as strong nor as quick off the mark as Brown. Markovic has performed well in the preseason, and did a reasonable job on Hurley last week.

What of Lake? It’s my thinking that in the absence of Brown, the Dogs coaching staff might give Lake another week off while the opportunity is there. Conversely, they may see it as a chance for him to gain match fitness against an inferior opponent. It could go either way, but I’m in favour of Lake’s omission.

Boyd vs. Black

How good is Simon Black? An evergreen competitor that racks up possessions and uses it smartly. He’s not overly fast or overly elusive, but he just gets the job done. For the Bulldogs, the centre square haemorrhaging simply must stop. One of Boyd, Cross or Ward simply has to sacrifice their game to become a lockdown player. Given that Ward is an in and under type, I’d like to see him continue to be encouraged to go after the ball.

Boyd and Cross have both performed as taggers, and one of them must go back to that for team balance. It could be either but my preference is for Boyd, as captain, to show real leadership and display by his actions in clamping down on Black, that he will do whatever is necessary for us to win.

Hall vs. Merrett

Hall gave Merrett a decent touch up when these two teams met in round 12 last year. The big forward finished with 6.1 and three goal assists. His speed has belied his age in his time at the Dogs, and once he gets a break he’s hard for a full back to catch. Hall remains the focal point for the Bulldogs entries, and if he can find the ball like he did last time, then he may have a day out.

I like Merrett as a footballer, and he’s usually a good match up for the Lions on Hall. He’s strong and quick off the mark, so he can normally hold his own in a wrestle or a race. The Lions will want a better showing from him this time.

Where the game will be won and lost

The knee heard around the world. The fortunes of the Brisbane Lions rest so heavily on the shoulders of Brown that when McPharlin accidentally rearranged his face, the Lions chances seem shattered too. Without Brown up forward, it’s can’t see how the Lions will find the firepower to beat the Dogs. Looking through the Lions list, it’s hard to see who can come in to play his role. I’ve gone for Maguire who is due back from injury this week and has played forward at times.

It shouldn’t be overlooked that when the Lions last beat the Dogs, Fevola kicked four goals and could have had eight. So in the space of a year, the Lions have gone from having two spearheads to none. This should allow the Dogs backline some reprieve in terms of danger men, and also give the defensive unit the chance to gel together a bit more while not under sustained attack.

It’s absolutely imperative that the Dogs forward line finds a way to create pressure. Constant harassment must be the key, particularly from the likes of Djerrkura, Grant and Addison if he plays forward. I can’t imagine that the Sherman/Djerrkura substitution will occur again, as their speed will be key to giving the Dogs a different look.

Black and Power aside, the Lions midfield is relatively green, and I’d like to think that the Bulldogs mids will be stung into action and keen on making a real impact this game. I’d expect a more physical imposition of will, and wouldn’t be surprised to see Giansiracusa and Higgins rotated more through the middle.

No real surprises then that I think the game will be won here. Hard ball gathers by Ward, Cross/Boyd (see above) and even Gia out to the fleet footed runners for forward line delivery. In a perfect world, that’s what we’d see every week, but it should be expected this week particularly as we should impose ourselves on the Lions youngsters.

Verdict

This game is an opportunity for the Dogs to drive some credibility back into their reputation, battered after a poor opening showing against Essendon. On paper and in recent results, the Lions are an inferior side, and if we regard ourselves as serious contenders, then we should be making an example of them.

Our players will want to make amends, and we should demolish the Lions.

Dogs by 68 points.

Mofra
31-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Good work DFA - I would suggest Rich is afforded as much respect as Black is in the midfield, good accumulator of the ball who can roost the ball long and accurately on his left.

Will be interesting to see how our backline is tweaked.

LostDoggy
31-03-2011, 07:20 PM
I think It has to be a +60pt win to get some serious confidence back. Just winning wont be enough against a terrible and undermanned Lions team, especially in Melbourne.

mjp
31-03-2011, 07:58 PM
I think It has to be a +60pt win to get some serious confidence back. Just winning wont be enough against a terrible and undermanned Lions team, especially in Melbourne.

I would be pretty happy with 4 points to be truthful...and the incredible discrepancy in inside 50's from last week at least being 'leveled out'.

LostDoggy
31-03-2011, 09:47 PM
I would be pretty happy with 4 points to be truthful...and the incredible discrepancy in inside 50's from last week at least being 'leveled out'.

I get what you are saying "a win is a win".
But seriously, if the dogs don't destroy the dismal Lions, who are now without Brown in Melb, then they will face an uphill battle this year and could struggle to make the top 8.

Bulldog Revolution
31-03-2011, 10:01 PM
But seriously, if the dogs don't destroy the dismal Lions, who are now without Brown in Melb, then they will face an uphill battle this year and could struggle to make the top 8.

If we were up and running sure, but we are playing lots of kids ourselves and trying to develop Hill, Stack, Jones, Libba, Markovic, Ward, Grant etc.

The 2011 version of the Dogs is still a long way finding the best of 2008/9

We can get carried away with winning margins but realistically

The main thing is to win and continue to develop our younger players

Fine preview DFA - although your respect for Merrett must surely only be based on getting the most out of extremely limited ability

EasternWest
31-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Fine preview DFA - although your respect for Merrett must surely only be based on getting the most out of extremely limited ability

Probably. I do have a penchant for those that make themselves footballers when they're less talented than others.

I like Merrett. Works hard, got a bit of mongrel and not overly cerebral. And equipped with a particularly strange head.

mjp
01-04-2011, 01:17 AM

It is round 2 and going from a 60 point loss to a 60 point win is not really all that realistic. I just want to get 4 points, win some contested footy and get the ball inside 50 say - 25% more than last week (52 times or thereabouts).

We might get a bit better idea of where our forward pressure is at if the ball is actually down there and the opposition mids/defenders are feeling under the pump.

Great preview DFA. Cant wait to see if our mids can turn it around against the stoppage genius who is Simon Black.

Remi Moses
01-04-2011, 03:33 AM
Tend to agree with MJP . Don't give a flying about the margin I just wanna see some intensity and tackle pressure.

LostDoggy
01-04-2011, 07:30 AM
How is a 120 point turnaround not realistic? It's a different match and different opposition.

LostDoggy
01-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Tend to agree with MJP . Don't give a flying about the margin I just wanna see some intensity and tackle pressure.

Thanks for the great preview and I tend to agree wth you Remi - whilst an absolute belting would be great, I will be happy just to see them turn around their tackles and intensity at the ball.

Mantis
01-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Great preview... Very glad you got the Hill demotion wrong. One of the few positives from last weeks game was an improved showing from Josh and it would have been very demoralising for him to be dropped.

Anyway onto this week... The good thing about footy is that in the space of just 7 days you get right the wrongs of the week before which is exactly what will happen this Sunday.

And even though we probably won't get the answers we require due to the opposition we face it's a good chance for the team to get some confidence for the season ahead, especially the younger/ newer team members.

Looking for a much improved performance in that we show more intensity around the contest and use the ball with more precision.

Dogs comfortably.

The Pie Man
01-04-2011, 10:18 AM

Concur on the margin, it's just about playing the way they should be playing.

Typically terrific preview too

EasternWest
01-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Great preview... Very glad you got the Hill demotion wrong.

Yeah me too. Always been a fan of Hill, and I hope he has a great year.

Somewhat similar with Stack. I have always held, and continue to hold, a belief that I don't think he's up to the top level. But reports from people whose opinions I respect say that he toiled hard last week (in actual fact, it's his lack of intensity that I have been most critical of), so I would be very happy to eat my words if he goes on to make the grade.

So, out of our listed bench, who do woofers think we'll go with?

I'm thinking Minson (given that Roughy by all reports is underdone), Ward, Djerrkura with Libba as sub. Wallis maybe unlucky again.

Ozza
01-04-2011, 11:31 AM
I think Minson would be near on certainty. Ward will stay in, you'd think Libba will too - and the other possie will be either DJ or Wally.

On face value I'd have thought Moles might be a good inclusion and would add some dash and kicking depth to the side - but its rare for a kid (Wallis) to be featured in the news a couple of times about potentially playing their first game - and then not play....so purely on that basis - Moles to miss (with Rough and Djerrkerra).

LostDoggy
01-04-2011, 11:55 AM

Yeah, it'd be nice to get our percentage back to at least 100%. :)

Greystache
01-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Good preview DFA.

Chicago1
01-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Watched training this morning and I'm feeling more confident of a victory this weekend. The last match I saw before I moved back to the states in 2000 was us versus Brisbane at Colonial. We lost. I've waited 11 years for revenge! :D

Ghost Dog
01-04-2011, 06:14 PM
A proliferation of one speed midfielders and a complete absence of forward line pressure are two areas that the Bulldogs coaching staff will need to address.

^^ This

LostDoggy
03-04-2011, 08:12 PM
It is round 2 and going from a 60 point loss to a 60 point win is not really all that realistic.....

azabob
03-04-2011, 08:44 PM

Not sure your post was needed.
Not Cool.

EasternWest
03-04-2011, 10:24 PM
I like Merrett as a footballer, and he’s usually a good match up for the Lions on Hall. He’s strong and quick off the mark, so he can normally hold his own in a wrestle or a race.

Heh. He was smashed by every person he matched up on. What the hell would I know?

LostDoggy
03-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Not sure your post was needed.
Not Cool.

How do mean?
I mentioned the team needed to turn it around and throw out a 60+pt thumping and got howled down.
I'm not being mean, just showing how weird things can happen.
The dots are just because a min of 4 characters have to be under a quote.