31-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Western Bulldogs
B: Brennan Stack, Lukas Markovic, Dale Morris
HB: Robert Murphy, Tom L. Williams, Liam Picken
C: Justin Sherman, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross
HF: Shaun Higgins, Liam Jones, Josh Hill
F: Jarrad Grant, Barry Hall, Daniel Giansiracusa
Foll: Ben Hudson, Adam Cooney, Ryan Griffen
I/C: William Minson, Callan Ward, Jordan Roughead, Brodie Moles, Nathan Djerrkura, Mitchell Wallis, Thomas Liberatore
In: William Minson, Jordan Roughead, Brodie Moles, Mitchell Wallis
Out: Easton Wood (Ankle)
New: Mitchell Wallis (Calder Cannons)

Brisbane Lions
B: Jed Adcock, Daniel Merrett, Pearce Hanley
HB: Cheynee Stiller, Matt Maguire, Ashley McGrath
C: Jack Redden, Simon Black, Tom Rockliff
HF: Todd Banfield, Mitchell Clark, Rohan Bewick
F: Ryan Lester, Joel Patfull, James Polkinghorne
Foll: Matthew Leuenberger, Andrew Raines, Daniel Rich
I/C: Luke Power, Tom Collier, Amon Buchanan, Jesse O'Brien, Claye Beams, Broc McCauley, Jared Polec
In: Luke Power, Tom Collier, Matt Maguire, Broc McCauley, Jared Polec
Out: Jonathan Brown (Face), Brent Staker (Knee)
New: Broc McCauley (Southport (QLD)), Jared Polec (Woodville West Torrens)

Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/live-afl-teams-round-2/story-e6frf9jf-1226031342156)

LostDoggy
31-03-2011, 06:26 PM
The team seems reasonable.

No point playing Lake and Gilbee when they're not ready. It's a long season.

Ward, Libba and a ruckman (Roughead unless he's not fit) will be the first three on the bench.

The only question for the match committee would be whether Djerrkura plays as the sub or if they give an opportunity to Moles or Wallis?

DOG GOD
31-03-2011, 06:32 PM
No reason to risk Lake with Brown out, so thats a good thing for us to help get Lake back to full fitness.

R'head, Ward, Moles and Libba for mine with Moles as the sub.

Daughter of the West
31-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Glad Lake is not being rushed back.

All seems quite reasonable.

Greystache
31-03-2011, 06:38 PM
The team seems reasonable.

No point playing Lake and Gilbee when they're not ready. It's a long season.

Ward, Libba and a ruckman (Roughead unless he's not fit) will be the first three on the bench.

The only question for the match committee would be whether Djerrkura plays as the sub or if they give an opportunity to Moles or Wallis?

Personally I'd play Cross as the sub and only bring him in when Libba blows up. I personally believe we're at least one slow inside midfielder heavy, but given we're unlikely to ommit a senior player unless we reach a crisis point, then at least we can try and balance the team a bit more.

My bench would be Ward, Roughead, Moles, with Cross sub and Libba on the field.

LostDoggy
31-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Personally I'd play Cross as the sub and only bring him in when Libba blows up. I personally believe we're at least one slow inside midfielder heavy, but given we're unlikely to ommit a senior player unless we reach a crisis point, then at least we can try and balance the team a bit more.

That's very interesting, Greystache.

It's definitely worth considering. If the midfield doesn't perform better this week then they could certainly look at playing Cross as the sub. He's so fit that he could almost run a full quarter on the ground.

bornadog
31-03-2011, 06:51 PM

Agree except I would go with Minson based on his preseason instead of Roughead.

LostDoggy
31-03-2011, 07:07 PM

Agree except I would go with Minson based on his preseason instead of Roughead.

Could not have said it better myself.
Moles brings something, I'm not sure what and I'm not sure you'd want it all the time but excellent choice on the bench.
To have Cross as a sub and play him when the pace drops out of the game would work IMO.

LostDoggy
31-03-2011, 07:29 PM
That's very interesting, Greystache.

It's definitely worth considering. If the midfield doesn't perform better this week then they could certainly look at playing Cross as the sub. He's so fit that he could almost run a full quarter on the ground.

I had Cross as my sub when submitting team on the bulldogs website. Thinking again about it he will have a point to prove from last week and should be in the centre bounce from the start and be given a chance to show that he can extract it.. I don't like the idea of him playing on a wing... especially when the opposition is surging forward and his opponent is looking to get into an attacking position.

Libba as the sub when the heat has gone out a little from the game would make sense, especially if we need a lift in contested stats.

LostDoggy
31-03-2011, 07:39 PM
To have Cross as a sub and play him when the pace drops out of the game would work IMO.

Isn't that like admitting he is not fast enough to play AFL football?

LostDoggy
31-03-2011, 07:53 PM

It takes all sorts, mate.

Joel Selwood, Luke Ball, Sam Mitchell, Jude Bolton, and Simon Black don't burn rubber either, but they are still crucial to their teams chances.

LostDoggy
31-03-2011, 08:00 PM
I,m happy that common sense prevailed and Lake and Gilbee were not considered. I do not like that HF line too short and not enough defensive pressure, I would much prefer Grant, Jones, Veszpremi , Missy and Gia make a better combination closer to goal, Sticky ( Hill ) has always been much better on the flank. As for the bench Minson, Ward, Moles Sub Roughead. I like Libba and Wallis but we need harder, bigger bodies at the moment, I,d Sub Roughead for Jones at half time , the extra height will draw players away from Hall

Dazza
31-03-2011, 08:35 PM
I,m happy that common sense prevailed and Lake and Gilbee were not considered. I do not like that HF line too short and not enough defensive pressure, I would much prefer Grant, Jones, Veszpremi , Missy and Gia make a better combination closer to goal, Sticky ( Hill ) has always been much better on the flank. As for the bench Minson, Ward, Moles Sub Roughead. I like Libba and Wallis but we need harder, bigger bodies at the moment, I,d Sub Roughead for Jones at half time , the extra height will draw players away from Hall

I don't really think we should be using the sub rule tactically. Having a ruckman/forward as the sub kinda worries me.

Other than that. Like the team selected. Bit strange to not see Addisons name but oh well.

LostDoggy
31-03-2011, 08:40 PM
I don't really think we should be using the sub rule tactically. Having a ruckman/forward as the sub kinda worries me.

Other than that. Like the team selected. Bit strange to not see Addisons name but oh well.

Agree - thought he might have snuck in to the interchange from this week.

choconmientay
31-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Somehow I want to see Libba and Wallis playing together. (This is our future midfield). Is this possible this early in the season or is this just wishful thinking? ;) Someone from the established list must go to the sub-bench then. Also, it seems like we are playing 2 rucks this round.

Mofra
31-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Always the question - who will sub?
Given Libba faded, you'd assume he will be subbed on or off during the game.

Surprised that Barlow and Addison didn't get named (didn't we promote Barlow to the regular list?).

I'd assume one of the ruckman are picked and Ward should hold his spot - Libba tyo be retained, and Wallis/Djek to fight out the last two spots? Djek had a handful of touches, 1 goal, no tackles - based on his pre-season we should rightfully expect more.

Maddog37
31-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Not sure how reliable it is but Barlow is still listed as a rookie on the pick your own team page on the website.

AndrewP6
31-03-2011, 09:37 PM
After the debacle in Rd 1, I'd have thought Lake/Gilbee would've been played, to get more of our regular 22 on the field. I know Browny is out, but we thought our midfield would dominate last week too.

LostDoggy
31-03-2011, 09:42 PM

Joel Selwood, Luke Ball, Sam Mitchell, Jude Bolton, and Simon Black don't burn rubber either, but they are still crucial to their teams chances.

They can all kick though and actually hurt the opposition with their disposal.

LostDoggy
31-03-2011, 09:54 PM

Not sure if your for or against Cross?
But I'm saying he'd play better once everyone else slows a bit (mentally and physically).
Yes he is slow by foot but not by decision, which still allows him to be a great player in the league.

anfo27
31-03-2011, 10:22 PM
After that pathetic showing we only have Wood in the outs. I'm not happy with that but really I knew what to expect.

Mantis
31-03-2011, 10:43 PM
After that pathetic showing we only have Wood in the outs. I'm not happy with that but really I knew what to expect.

They aren't going to throw the baby out with the bath water after just one game.

anfo27
31-03-2011, 10:52 PM
They aren't going to throw the baby out with the bath water after just one game.

I knew that, I just don't like it because the next 2 weeks we'll have easy wins and all the talk will be that we're back on track. Following the bye we have the all conquering magpies who give us another hiding and we're back where we started.

always right
31-03-2011, 10:52 PM

Yeah....Luke Ball and Jude Bolton are known for their kicking skills:rolleyes:

Some have suggested we play Crossy as the sub. Considering one of his major strengths, what do we gain by having him as a substitute? Makes no sense to me.

Mantis
31-03-2011, 11:11 PM
I knew that, I just don't like it because the next 2 weeks we'll have easy wins and all the talk will be that we're back on track. Following the bye we have the all conquering magpies who give us another hiding and we're back where we started.

Our team really won't start taking shape until the 2nd half of the season anyway. By this time the guys in the VFL would have had enough games to show some consistent form and push for senior selection and we will pretty much know how the senior team is going too.

Our run from rd 10-13 looks pretty tough considering we play all of Hawthorn, St.Kilda, Geelong & Adelaide so I am sure through this period we will see exactly how we are travelling and get a very good idea to which players can or perhaps cannot take us forward.

anfo27
31-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Our team really won't start taking shape until the 2nd half of the season anyway. By this time the guys in the VFL would have had enough games to show some consistent form and push for senior selection and we will pretty much know how the senior team is going too.

Our run from rd 10-13 looks pretty tough considering we play all of Hawthorn, St.Kilda, Geelong & Adelaide so I am sure through this period we will see exactly how we are travelling and get a very good idea to which players can or perhaps cannot take us forward.

Are you confident our MC are courageous enough to make the correct decisions come that time? I'm not.

I just don't like where we're heading. To be unprepared in round 1 for Essendon after we have had a good couple of months to watch & study what they could possibly bring is a disgrace. Its not as if they brought a brand of footy we have never seen before, they brought the same style as the pies who beat us comfortably 3 times last year.

BulldogBelle
31-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Jones will be under the pump if he doesn't show a bit more this week. With Lake returning, will Jones be the tall to go out and Markovic retained? Could Markovic play CHF?

Flamethrower
31-03-2011, 11:45 PM

If the team goes in with that attitude we'll be 0-3. The Lions only lost to Fremantle because they were decimated by injury and were on the receiving end of some pathetic umpiring.

bornadog
31-03-2011, 11:51 PM
great to get some game time into Marckovic, Stack, Libba, Wallis, Jones, DJ, early in the season.

jazzadogs
31-03-2011, 11:51 PM
Jones will be under the pump if he doesn't show a bit more this week. With Lake returning, will Jones be the tall to go out and Markovic retained? Could Markovic play CHF?
If there's a choice I would much prefer Jones at CHF to Markovic. There's been enough discussion on here about giving the kids game time.

Markovic is a back-up for Lake. That's about it.

Greystache
01-04-2011, 12:16 AM
great to get some game time into Marckovic, Stack, Libba, Wallis, Jones, DJ, early in the season.

I see the next couple of weeks as a big opportunity for Markovic, if he can do some good defensive jobs he may be a chance to take Tom Williams spot. There's still massive doubt on Williams ability to play on decent key forwards.

bornadog
01-04-2011, 12:19 AM
I see the next couple of weeks as a big opportunity for Markovic, if he can do some good defensive jobs he may be a chance to take Tom Williams spot. There's still massive doubt on Williams ability to play on decent key forwards.

Personally I am not sold on Markovic and happy to be proven wrong, however, as you say this will give him the opportunity to show us if he has it in him to be an AFL player.

Greystache
01-04-2011, 12:21 AM
Personally I am not sold on Markovic and happy to be proven wrong, however, as you say this will give him the opportunity to show us if he has it in him to be an AFL player.

To be fair I had zero in him last year, but he seems to have significantly improved his agility and perhaps even his pace slightly. I still have little expectation of him, but there's an opportunity for him.

Desipura
01-04-2011, 08:37 AM

Other than the newbies, shouldn't we know the answer to this by now?

Mantis
01-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Other than the newbies, shouldn't we know the answer to this by now?

The game changes every year, as do the players in it and by the mid point of the season when all teams are grinding away we will be in a much better position to determine the state of affairs.

Yep, we got jumped last weekend and were made to look extremely poor, but it isn't the end of our season. We still have plenty of time to get things right, but if by end of rd13 things still aren't going as planned some tough decisions will need to be made.

Mofra
01-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Williams was ok last week - competed hard and took some defensive marks against quality opposition (Ryder/Hille).
He has had a big pre-season and will be one to imporve this year. I see Markovic as a fair way behind him at this stage and in terms of pace/agility I doubt he is able to close the gap.

strebla
01-04-2011, 11:40 AM

Not often I don't agree with you Greystache but i thought big Tommy improved heaps last year and has been one of our best during the pre-season. Dont mind leaving Markovic in either when Brian is fit could he possibly return as the perfect swingman in the style of C Grant possibly ??:rolleyes:

Ozza
01-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Yeah I had my doubts for a long time on Tommy Williams - big doubts at times! But he played really well in his 50th game last year - and has looked a different player ever since. Far more assured and confident with the footy.

No longer is my heart in my mouth where Tommy is in the play.

Cyberdoggie
01-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Not often I don't agree with you Greystache but i thought big Tommy improved heaps last year and has been one of our best during the pre-season. Dont mind leaving Markovic in either when Brian is fit could he possibly return as the perfect swingman in the style of C Grant possibly ??:rolleyes:

What Tommy didn't do and what a lot of our midfielders didn't do last week was run when they get the ball.

Throughout the pre-season games Tom backed himself for the first time and tried to provide some rebound and looked a totally different player when he did. That didn't happen against Essendon and he wasn't alone.

I'm hoping he can show us something against a weaker lions.

EasternWest
01-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Yeah I had my doubts for a long time on Tommy Williams - big doubts at times! But he played really well in his 50th game last year - and has looked a different player ever since. Far more assured and confident with the footy.

What Tommy didn't do and what a lot of our midfielders didn't do last week was run when they get the ball.

Throughout the pre-season games Tom backed himself for the first time and tried to provide some rebound and looked a totally different player when he did. That didn't happen against Essendon and he wasn't alone.

I'm hoping he can show us something against a weaker lions.

He's quick, and IMO a very good kick. He can suffer from poor decision making at times, but it's improving.

I'm mostly with you Ozza, I still get a few butterflies when he gets it, but he's getting better.

Greystache
01-04-2011, 12:33 PM

Even last year Tom was being hidden away from the good KP forwards, the few times he had to match up on even someone average (eg Gumbleton) he got exposed. If he's to really help the structure of the team he has to be able to play on the best mobile KP forwards to allow Morris to play on the mid sized. We tried him on Drew Petrie against North in a practice match and he got torn apart. As I said, I doubt Markovic can do any better, I just think there's an opportunity for him if he can impress the next week or two.

It's not about when he's got the ball in hand, I think he's improved considerably in that regard, it's when the ball's kicked in and he's one out against a decent forward, I still very much have my heart in my mouth. I want him to be able to defend first, rebound second, if he can't defend I don't see the benefit of a 196cm rebound player.

anfo27
01-04-2011, 12:44 PM
It's not about when he's got the ball in hand, I think he's improved considerably in that regard, it's when the ball's kicked in and he's one out against a decent forward, I still very much have my heart in my mouth. I want him to be able to defend first, rebound second, if he can't defend I don't see the benefit of a 196cm rebound player.

I agree with you here Greystache, i'm not at all confident with tommy one on one. I don't think he positions himself well enough in these one on one and watching Markovic in the pre season i thought he positioned himself quite well.

always right
01-04-2011, 12:52 PM
FWIW I think the problem with Tom is not his positioning but his defensive attitude.

Watch when Picken comes into make a spoil. He doesn't just make a spoil....he makes a statement. His defensive punches tend to clear the area not just fall at the feet of the pack.

Watch Tom make a spoil. Up goes the arm in a hopeful attempt to make contact with the ball. There's no agression, no intent. Even if he does make contact with the ball it often isn't enough to stop his opponent marking.

I always say to my son when he plays.....spoil with attitude.

End of lesson.

SlimPickens
01-04-2011, 12:54 PM
I agree with you here Greystache, i'm not at all confident with tommy one on one. I don't think he positions himself well enough in these one on one and watching Markovic in the pre season i thought he positioned himself quite well.

Spot on, it is incredibly frustrating to watch Tom make superior position in a contest only to give it away cheaply. This was hugely exposed against Petrie and something he must continually work on. He has the frame to hold position, he really needs to work on his technique more than anything.

Grantysghost
01-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Whats happened to Vespremi? I went to a few of the pre-season games and thought he looked a bit slowish and not too tall an in betweener. He was scoring goals consistently though and most thought he would be considered. He seems to have dropped off the "woofdar!"

Desipura
01-04-2011, 01:40 PM
The game changes every year, as do the players in it and by the mid point of the season when all teams are grinding away we will be in a much better position to determine the state of affairs.

Yep, we got jumped last weekend and were made to look extremely poor, but it isn't the end of our season. We still have plenty of time to get things right, but if by end of rd13 things still aren't going as planned some tough decisions will need to be made.
By the end of round 13, we may well be 8-5 or 9-4 with losses against the top teams, what happens then in your opinion? Is that a pass mark?

Greystache
01-04-2011, 02:43 PM
FWIW I think the problem with Tom is not his positioning but his defensive attitude.

Watch when Picken comes into make a spoil. He doesn't just make a spoil....he makes a statement. His defensive punches tend to clear the area not just fall at the feet of the pack.

Watch Tom make a spoil. Up goes the arm in a hopeful attempt to make contact with the ball. There's no agression, no intent. Even if he does make contact with the ball it often isn't enough to stop his opponent marking.

End of lesson.

Or when Lake gets caught under the ball, the ferocity he pushes back on his opponent with would move a semi-trailer.

Mantis
01-04-2011, 02:55 PM
By the end of round 13, we may well be 8-5 or 9-4 with losses against the top teams, what happens then in your opinion? Is that a pass mark?

You would think that it would be, but it would be nice if we could win a game or 2 against the better teams for no other reason than to prove that we can.

stefoid
01-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Yeah....Luke Ball and Jude Bolton are known for their kicking skills:rolleyes:

Some have suggested we play Crossy as the sub. Considering one of his major strengths, what do we gain by having him as a substitute? Makes no sense to me.

Exactly

Desipura
01-04-2011, 03:09 PM
You would think that it would be, but it would be nice if we could win a game or 2 against the better teams for no other reason than to prove that we can.
It may well be a pass mark, however it will not prove that we can match it with the top teams if they are the only losses we have had.
Put it this way, I would not go into this years finals any more confident of winning the big one (if we did happen to win enough games for a top 4).
I still think we will be around the mark, its that next step that I am not so sure about. It is early days, perhaps we can find that extra improvement at some point in time during the year in readiness for another finals tilt.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Even last year Tom was being hidden away from the good KP forwards, the few times he had to match up on even someone average (eg Gumbleton) he got exposed. If he's to really help the structure of the team he has to be able to play on the best mobile KP forwards to allow Morris to play on the mid sized. We tried him on Drew Petrie against North in a practice match and he got torn apart. As I said, I doubt Markovic can do any better, I just think there's an opportunity for him if he can impress the next week or two.

Great post. I agree wholeheartedly. Williams is a better player, his ball handling skills have improved a lot and he's more than capable by foot. However, he still doesn't have the defensive game required. Which, as you said, opens the door for Markovic slightly.

Any chance that Williams could be pushed forward in such a case?

Hall plays at CHF, thus giving an option we currently don't have with Murphy playing down back. Also, it'll make the delivery more thoughtful - they can't just 'bomb' it to Barry. They have to spot up targets, and Barry himself is very good at this.

Williams is quick, has relatively good skills and can take a mark. Is it time to roll the dice, play Williams at FF and trial Markovic in his position down back - with support from Morris/Lake?

Personally, I want to see more changes like this during the year. Especially against quality sides.

I would love to see Hall play at CHF.

G-Mo77
01-04-2011, 04:18 PM

End of lesson.

Love it! :)

I see Williams as more of a help defender rather than a one on one. He's still fairly new to the game after a lot of injury interrupted seasons so all is not lost.

BulldogBelle
01-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Great post. I agree wholeheartedly. Williams is a better player, his ball handling skills have improved a lot and he's more than capable by foot. However, he still doesn't have the defensive game required. Which, as you said, opens the door for Markovic slightly.

Any chance that Williams could be pushed forward in such a case?

Hall plays at CHF, thus giving an option we currently don't have with Murphy playing down back. Also, it'll make the delivery more thoughtful - they can't just 'bomb' it to Barry. They have to spot up targets, and Barry himself is very good at this.

Williams is quick, has relatively good skills and can take a mark. Is it time to roll the dice, play Williams at FF and trial Markovic in his position down back - with support from Morris/Lake?

Personally, I want to see more changes like this during the year. Especially against quality sides.

I would love to see Hall play at CHF.

Sorry to criticise your suggestion but...

Williams- would only suit a long bomb full forward role. He doesnt know how or where to lead, and doesnt have the football smarts to be a FF. If he is one on one he may be able to pluck a few marks down deep, but otherwise we are dreaming

Hall - at CHF? He is 34! We got a great return from him last year at FF, and I wouldnt want to run him into the ground playing further up the groud...

He played a great game in 2008 against Hawthorn in Tasmania which we won...against Buddy I thought that he had really come of age in that match

Markovic- from all accounts it appears he has football smarts and could potentially hold down the FB position, but we need to remember he has only played 1 senior game. I would love if this allowed Brian to play more of a rebounding role, and play as a loose man in the back half...

Mofra
01-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Markovic- from all accounts it appears he has football smarts and could potentially hold down the FB position, but we need to remember he has only played 1 senior game. I would love if this allowed Brian to play more of a rebounding role, and play as a loose man in the back half...
If Markovic continues to prove at least competant it does give us a little extra flexibility - no longer playing Morris as an undersized KPP.
He plays on the smalls that solve our lockdown BP problem, and playing smaller will save on wear and tear on his body.
Even if it's only an option a handful of times a year Markovic would be doing his bit for the team.

SlimPickens
01-04-2011, 06:02 PM
AFL website have Roughead in Wood out. Emergencies Wallis Minson Moles

Greystache
01-04-2011, 06:21 PM

Cheers Slim.

I see that as a positive risk, great to see.

SlimPickens
01-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Cheers Slim.

I see that as a positive risk, great to see.

Pretty telling for minson, although early in the year

the banker
01-04-2011, 06:34 PM
If Markovic can hold down full back, it gives us a lot of flexibility with Lake as zoning off back or potential lethal weapon forward. That could change a lot of things for us by the end of the year. It could be that Markovic's development becomes more important than Jones' or even Rogheads.

LostDoggy
01-04-2011, 06:35 PM
AFL website have Roughead in Wood out.

That's terrific. The club seems to be following the wise course of action and is developing our talented young kids.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Sorry to criticise your suggestion but...

Williams- would only suit a long bomb full forward role. He doesnt know how or where to lead, and doesnt have the football smarts to be a FF. If he is one on one he may be able to pluck a few marks down deep, but otherwise we are dreaming

You're assuming Williams cannot play forward, but there's no evidence for it. Which is why it's something I'd like to see us try, because using the same methods to constantly fail underlines stupidity.

If the Williams' experiment failed, then nothing's lost, but we clearly have problems that need addressing.

Hall - at CHF? He is 34! We got a great return from him last year at FF, and I wouldnt want to run him into the ground playing further up the groud...

Hall is a fine player but arguably, indirectly, he's the problem. Our mid sized forwards (Eg. Higgins) don't and won't get the opportunities whilst Hall is still plunked at FF. It's fact; it happened again last week, with the ball being directed to Hall around 12? times. That's ridiculous - we still haven't learnt anything from last year.

Nobody is suggesting Hall runs to the half back line, but I don't want to see him leading from FF for an entire game. Why can't Hall play between 30m-70m?

He played a great game in 2008 against Hawthorn in Tasmania which we won...against Buddy I thought that he had really come of age in that match

I've heard this a few times and it's simply not right. Williams showed some good signs, but got lost in traffic several times.

Buddy kicked 5 goals. He won the duel.

Bulldog Joe
01-04-2011, 06:56 PM
I've heard this a few times and it's simply not right. Williams showed some good signs, but got lost in traffic several times.

Buddy kicked 5 goals. He won the duel.

I was at the game and Williams DID play a great game against Buddy.

Buddy may have kicked 5 goals but at least 2 of them came from bad errors by Daniel Cross who handballed direct to Franklin in front of goal.

comrade
01-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Good to see Roughy in. He's much more suited to the modern game than Will. It'll be interesting to see how our forward structure goes with 3 talls at times.

Bulldog Joe
01-04-2011, 07:00 PM

Not a good sign for Will.

It seems that the MC don't share my enthusiasm for the big fellow.

If he is to languish at Williamstown he will dominate and figure in the Liston.

Mantis
01-04-2011, 07:07 PM
Good to see Roughy in. He's much more suited to the modern game than Will. It'll be interesting to see how our forward structure goes with 3 talls at times.

One would think that it won't happen for too long as both Hall & Jones will need a spell which will probably co-incide with the times that Roughy plays forward.

Greystache
01-04-2011, 07:08 PM

Only for this year. In all likelihood Hudson will retire at the end of this season, next year Minson will probably be the number 1 ruckman and Roughead will play the role he's set to this weekend. Minson should be serviceable as the primary ruckman, might just be a year of pain in 2011

Mofra
01-04-2011, 07:20 PM
True - he is unfortunately a no 1 ruckman only.
I'd expect Roughy to spend more time forward than rucking - our hope woudl be to stretch their defence, perhaps play Hall as a decoy with Merrett following, which leaves Macguire on one of Jones or Roughy.
We should have one mismatch to try and exploit, let alone Grant probably being taken by a more mid sized player.

LostDoggy
01-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Only for this year. In all likelihood Hudson will retire at the end of this season, next year Minson will probably be the number 1 ruckman and Roughead will play the role he's set to this weekend. Minson should be serviceable as the primary ruckman, might just be a year of pain in 2010.

This all depends on Cordy. If he does well this year then Minson will probably go and we will recruit some new rucks.

choconmientay
01-04-2011, 07:26 PM
This is the team for Sunday, extracted from HS:
WESTERN BULLDOGS v BRISBANE
Friday April 1, 2011 16:44

Western Bulldogs
B: Brennan Stack, Lukas Markovic, Dale Morris
HB: Robert Murphy, Tom L. Williams, Liam Picken
C: Justin Sherman, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross
HF: Shaun Higgins, Liam Jones, Josh Hill
F: Jarrad Grant, Barry Hall, Daniel Giansiracusa
Foll: Ben Hudson, Adam Cooney, Ryan Griffen
I/C: Callan Ward, Jordan Roughead, , Nathan Djerrkura, Thomas Liberatore
Emerg: William Minson, Brodie Moles,Mitchell Wallis
In: Jordan Roughead
Out: Easton Wood (Ankle)
Friday April 1, 2011 16:44

Brisbane Lions
B: Jed Adcock, Daniel Merrett, Pearce Hanley
HB: Cheynee Stiller, Matt Maguire, Ashley McGrath
C: Jack Redden, Simon Black, Tom Rockliff
HF: Todd Banfield, Mitchell Clark, Rohan Bewick
F: Ryan Lester, Joel Patfull, James Polkinghorne
Foll: Matthew Leuenberger, Andrew Raines, Daniel Rich
I/C: Luke Power, Amon Buchanan, Jesse O'Brien, Claye Beams
Emerg: Tom Collier, Broc McCauley, Jared Polec
In: Luke Power, Matt Maguire
Out: Jonathan Brown (Face), Brent Staker (Knee)

LostDoggy
01-04-2011, 07:36 PM
I'd expect Roughy to spend more time forward than rucking

Me too. He moves well which is great, but even more promising is that he has genuine forward instincts.

Greystache
01-04-2011, 07:44 PM
This all depends on Cordy. If he does well this year then Minson will probably go and we will recruit some new rucks.

He's contracted until 2012, so unless we can trade him, he'll be at the club next year.

Cordy is a long long way from being proven, I don't think we'd be making too many decisions based on Ayce stepping up just yet.

chef
01-04-2011, 07:56 PM

Is that it. Hoping to see more changes than that after our insipid effort.

LostDoggy
01-04-2011, 08:21 PM
That's terrific. The club seems to be following the wise course of action and is developing our talented young kids.

Yep, like that too.

Happy Days
01-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Just on Brisbane; Joel Patfull at full forward? Really?

LostDoggy
01-04-2011, 09:07 PM

Thing is that Will and Roughy are are ruck combo for the future so we need to keep him.
Don't know how much longer Huddo has in him.

the banker
01-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Picken to Banfield?

the banker
01-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Good luck to the Sherminator.

G-Mo77
02-04-2011, 01:30 AM
Thing is that Will and Roughy are are ruck combo for the future so we need to keep him.
Don't know how much longer Huddo has in him.

Anyone know Minson's contract status? Would he be willing to wait out Huddo?

I really feel bad for Will right now, he's been dealt a real shitty hand with the AFL's awful rule changes. Don't get me wrong I'm happy to see Roughy in but I've been a big fan of Will over the years and it sucks that the AFL have made his role and others like his obsolete.

EasternWest
02-04-2011, 01:35 AM

Was mentioned earlier in the thread that he's contracted to the end of 2012.

A Minson/Roughead combo I'd imagine would be the Dogs ruck setup after this year. All things being equal, I'd regard that as a decent setup.

Greystache
02-04-2011, 01:36 AM

I really feel bad for Will right now, he's been dealt a real shitty hand with the AFL's awful rule changes. Don't get me wrong I'm happy to see Roughy in but I've been a big fan of Will over the years and it sucks that the AFL have made his role and others like his obsolete.

He's contracted until 2012, so unless we can trade him, he'll be at the club next year.

----

lemmon
02-04-2011, 02:03 AM
Real land of the giants forward line, if we were hoping for improvements in forward pressure, this week wont be the week. The positive is that Brisbane don't really have the half back rebounders to really cut us up like Essendon were able to.

Go_Dogs
02-04-2011, 02:09 AM
Just on Brisbane; Joel Patfull at full forward? Really?

Used to play forward a bit back in his time at Norwood.

Desipura
02-04-2011, 08:54 AM

Regardless of form (Minson by all reports had performed better than Roughy) it tells me that the MC think Huddo and Minson are too similar type players.

Go_Dogs
02-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Regardless of form (Minson by all reports had performed better than Roughy) it tells me that the MC think Huddo and Minson are too similar type players.

That does seem to be the message.

Hopefully Will can keep himself up and about, because Huddo is going to need a few rests this year, and once the season's done, Minson will be our number 1 ruck. Going to be tough for him not playing week in week out though, especially as his form has been pretty solid.

LostDoggy
02-04-2011, 12:42 PM

Cordy is a long long way from being proven, I don't think we'd be making too many decisions based on Ayce stepping up just yet.

That is what I meant. If Cordy does well this year then Minson may be on the outer if not then Minson will probably get a coulple of years more on his contract.

Of course Cordy would have to play seniors for Minson to be on the trade list.

bornadog
02-04-2011, 04:34 PM
That is what I meant. If Cordy does well this year then Minson may be on the outer if not then Minson will probably get a coulple of years more on his contract.

Of course Cordy would have to play seniors for Minson to be on the trade list.

Unfortunately Cordy has put on weight and is not as agile and athletic as he was. He has a long way to go and his injuries have not helped him. He needs a good run at Willi Seniors and perhaps in the secoind half may get a game.

GVGjr
02-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Any chance there will be a late change or two for us?

jazzadogs
02-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see Wallis come in late, couldn't think of anyone under an injury cloud though. Griffen perhaps?

Mantis
02-04-2011, 06:27 PM

Do you know something or are you just putting it out there?

I guess we will know more after the Willi game tonight, but I would suspect that they would hold one back to be safe anyway.

GVGjr
02-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Do you know something or are you just putting it out there?

I guess we will know more after the Willi game tonight, but I would suspect that they would hold one back to be safe anyway.

A bit of both.
I'm told a couple of players looked very proppy yesterday.

G-Mo77
02-04-2011, 06:57 PM
A bit of both.
I'm told a couple of players looked very proppy yesterday.

Which ones?

JohnGentStand
02-04-2011, 08:38 PM
crossy is walking on some serious blisters....hope it doesnt affect his 'pace' too much...

LostDoggy
03-04-2011, 02:46 AM
Only for this year. In all likelihood Hudson will retire at the end of this season, next year Minson will probably be the number 1 ruckman and Roughead will play the role he's set to this weekend. Minson should be serviceable as the primary ruckman, might just be a year of pain in 2011

I agree the problem this year is that Roughead is a better number 2 ruckman then Minson but Minson is a better number 1 ruckman then roughead

Bulldog Joe
03-04-2011, 02:37 AM
I agree the problem this year is that Roughead is a better number 2 ruckman then Minson but Minson is a better number 1 ruckman then roughead

Minson is a better ruckman at this point than Roughead.

There is perception that Roughead will be better forward and the Match Committee have obviously gone with that view and Roughy needs to meet those expectations.

divvydan
03-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Subs: Djerrkura and Beams