PDA

View Full Version : Round 2 Discussions

GVGjr
02-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Thought the contest between the Tigers and the Saints was a good one last night.

The Tiger fans must be excited about the number of good young players coming through.
The Saints fans must have had enough with close contests.

Mantis
02-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Once again we see St.Kilda struggle against a team with leg speed across the field.

On that performance Richmond will prove a real handful for us too.

Go_Dogs
02-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Once again we see St.Kilda struggle against a team with leg speed across the field.

Agree. At the end of the day the competition is so even that you can't afford to let your guard down at all.

The Tiger fans must be excited about the number of good young players coming through.

They have some terrific kids coming through, and are going to have a very powerful midfield over the next 5+ years.

It's a bit of a shame for them that Post and Rance are still a bit up in the air and don't really look like becoming key defenders, because apart from that area their list looks very good. Vickery took a few strong grabs last night and with him resting forward in tandem with Jack they have good tall forward options.

Sedat
02-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Anyone else think that Hayes will have LARS surgery and come back just in time to tear us a new one in early June?

Leg speed is the new black going on the first 9 games of the 2011 premiership season. We've addressed this somewhat on the list but not many of the young speedsters we've picked up in the ND and RD will be making much of an impression in 2011. Sherman and DJ will surely be given every opportunity to cement their places in the team.

Greystache
02-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Anyone else think that Hayes will have LARS surgery and come back just in time to tear us a new one in early June?

That's the first thing I thought when I heard it was an ACL. I can't see any reason why he'd have a traditional one, but I hope he does.

LostDoggy
02-04-2011, 10:06 AM
I only saw the last quarter and the umpiring was disgraceful. The free against mcguane deliberate point was surely under pressure. Then the deliberate out of bounds against the saints when it was quite plausible the player was fumbling. Do the umps get sucked in by the crowd or do they just want to be involved in the game?

SlimPickens
02-04-2011, 10:15 AM
That's the first thing I thought when I heard it was an ACL. I can't see any reason why he'd have a traditional one, but I hope he does.

Saints have to be very careful with Lenny, this injury has the potential to end his career. LARS surgery would see him possibly return this year but i think if you look at the players that have previously had it, it is a recipe for disaster. Think of LARS as a splint (which it was designed to be), it really won't hold up to the rigors of our game and that has been proven with Melceski and Rodan both re-doing their knee. He should go the traditional hamstring tendon surgery with an eye on next year.

Disappointing for Lenny, absolute champion.

Mantis
02-04-2011, 10:19 AM

He could have his leg amputated and still put us to the sword.

Leg speed is the new black going on the first 9 games of the 2011 premiership season. We've addressed this somewhat on the list but not many of the young speedsters we've picked up in the ND and RD will be making much of an impression in 2011. Sherman and DJ will surely be given every opportunity to cement their places in the team.

But I guess as the season continues the game will slow especially given the increase in TOG for most players.

Greystache
02-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Saints have to be very careful with Lenny, this injury has the potential to end his career. LARS surgery would see him possibly return this year but i think if you look at the players that have previously had it, it is a recipe for disaster. Think of LARS as a splint (which it was designed to be), it really won't hold up to the rigors of our game and that has been proven with Melceski and Rodan both re-doing their knee. He should go the traditional hamstring tendon surgery with an eye on next year.

Disappointing for Lenny, absolute champion.

There's been talk from St Kilda that this year was to be Lenny's last, would seem a surprise to me but who knows what other injuries he's carrying, if that's the case I couldn't see him taking the tendon graft approach.

Flamethrower
02-04-2011, 11:17 AM
How freaky - 2 draws already this year.

Bulldog4life
02-04-2011, 11:22 AM
How freaky - 2 draws already this year.

Was said on channel 7 it is the first time in 100 years that a season has opened with draws in the first 2 weeks.

lemmon
02-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Lenny along with Simon Black are probably the two footballers outside of the dogs I love most. Would be such a shame to finish up like this, dead set champion

G-Mo77
02-04-2011, 11:37 AM
I only saw the last quarter and the umpiring was disgraceful. The free against mcguane deliberate point was surely under pressure. Then the deliberate out of bounds against the saints when it was quite plausible the player was fumbling. Do the umps get sucked in by the crowd or do they just want to be involved in the game?

Bit of both I would imagine. :rolleyes:

McGuane was being tackled when he rushed that behind, my understanding was if they were under pressure it was OK to push it through. I guess not, I wonder what The Geesh will say about that one. IDIOTS!

LostDoggy
02-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Richmond as a whole team showed the commitment to put your head over the ball and fight for possession , time and time again a Tiger would wrestle the ball out and get free to handpass to a running player, their support play was great to see , they tried to maintain their structure so they could use the corridor, a lot of their kicks into the forward 50 were high lobbed kicks this was a deliberate tactic to give their taller players the chance to pack mark or tap out to a crumber , in a way the absence of Jumping Jack made them a more cohesive unit as they had to work closer together to create the goals , if Richmond can keep up that standard and the list stays healthy they will make the 8

Mofra
02-04-2011, 12:54 PM
THe Age today mentioned LARS as an option - Hayes is 31 so it is almost a choice of LARS or retire.
A traditional knee reco is out for a year than another year rebuilding the confidence in the knee; I really don't think the Saints have any choice but to gamble on LARS.

Mantis
02-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Reports (Fox sports & Hun) are he will go down the traditional route and as such will miss the rest of the season.

mjp
02-04-2011, 02:01 PM
McGuane was being tackled when he rushed that behind, my understanding was if they were under pressure it was OK to push it through. I guess not, I wonder what The Geesh will say about that one. IDIOTS!

If it had gone out of bounds, it would have been deliberate. I have really no idea why McGuane took possession of the ball and the second he decided to handball it through for a point I thought he was in trouble.

I actually like the rule...it really does build tension around the goal front.

The non-mark to Morton in q3 was the decision that cost them...can a mark that wasn't paid win mark of the week because that was a remarkable athletic effort.

Richmond are coming along but the talk about leg speed is being a little bit overstated. Some of their prime movers last night - Newman, White, Cotchin, King, Grigg for example - are not all that quick, but they got to the contest in numbers and helped one another out. Richmond's inability to put a blanket on Milne really cost them though - he was terrific and the decision to play Conca on him (2nd gamer, only ever played mid as a junior) was dumb. The move to Newman was also flawed as he plays off too much and conceded two more goals...Surely to goodness the decision had to be to get White off Montagna and onto Milne????

bornadog
02-04-2011, 03:28 PM

Once more disgraceful from the umpires and disgraceful interpretation of the rule. The deliberate out of bounds really needs to be looked at.

G-Mo77
02-04-2011, 04:07 PM
If it had gone out of bounds, it would have been deliberate. I have really no idea why McGuane took possession of the ball and the second he decided to handball it through for a point I thought he was in trouble.

I actually like the rule...it really does build tension around the goal front.

But it creates another grey area in the game and when you get idiots like the one last night the wrong team is punished for it.

Sedat
02-04-2011, 04:21 PM
I see North has made a real statement of intent in their 'traditional' jumper today :rolleyes:

G-Mo77
02-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Can anyone shut down Swan?

Mantis
02-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Can anyone shut down Swan?

Pendlebury is the one you need to shut down.

Remi Moses
02-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Norf have embarrassed themselves.
All this piffle about a guernsey and again playing the victim!
Put SEN on this afternoon and a supporter was moaning about them talking about something else and not the North game.
Talked tough today and made fools of themselves

KT31
02-04-2011, 05:06 PM

On last weeks performance Yackandandah thirds would be a handful for us.:o

Bulldog Revolution
02-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Pendlebury is the one you need to shut down.

He is so consistently on his own in space, against almost every opposition

Does anyone tag him? or is it just that nobody is able to tag him successfully?

Remi Moses
02-04-2011, 05:26 PM
On last weeks performance Yackandandah thirds would be a handful for us.:o

I'd have Yakandandah over 39 Pts

AndrewP6
02-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Just saw the free paid against McGuane, giving Diver a freebie... if I was Hardwick, I'd pay up and give it to the umps over that.

chef
02-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Just saw the free paid against McGuane, giving Diver a freebie... if I was Hardwick, I'd pay up and give it to the umps over that.

The AFL has admitted it was wrong as well.

AndrewP6
02-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Richmond's inability to put a blanket on Milne really cost them though - he was terrific and the decision to play Conca on him (2nd gamer, only ever played mid as a junior) was dumb.

Didn't he kick 4.7 or something? How good would he have been if he'd kicked straight?

AndrewP6
02-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Comedy gold up north as the umpire explains the intricacies of the pre-match coin toss.

"It's marked with a H on one side, and a T on the other. H for heads, T for tails. See?"

Ghost Dog
02-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Didn't he kick 4.7 or something? How good would he have been if he'd kicked straight?

Milne missed a few gimmes. he's a cherry picker. I'm not sure he did anything that special but he was ok.

Ghost Dog
02-04-2011, 09:26 PM

Milne missed a few gimmes that's for sure.

Sedat
02-04-2011, 10:04 PM
GC playing like a pack of Hunts.

aker39
02-04-2011, 10:31 PM
I have no problem with players changing jobs for more money, but the sun won't be shining quite as bright tonight and the the money will be a little bitter after that performance. And Hutchy can crawl back in to his hole. He's been crapping on about the suns being a chance to make the 8.

G-Mo77
02-04-2011, 11:04 PM
I have no problem with players changing jobs for more money, but the sun won't be shining quite as bright tonight and the the money will be a little bitter after that performance. And Hutchy can crawl back in to his hole. He's been crapping on about the suns being a chance to make the 8.

I'm surprised so many people thought they would make the 8. They would be lucky to make the 8 at VFL level.

I think they'll be competitive at times but there will be a lot of results like that. They are just kids right now and Carlton squashed them early and didn't show no mercy at all for the remainder of the game. I hope we can do the same to them next week.

Remi Moses
02-04-2011, 11:28 PM

Hilarious, Hutchy should go back to going through footballers rubbish.

bornadog
03-04-2011, 12:06 AM
I'm surprised so many people thought they would make the 8. They would be lucky to make the 8 at VFL level.

I think they'll be competitive at times but there will be a lot of results like that. They are just kids right now and Carlton squashed them early and didn't show no mercy at all for the remainder of the game. I hope we can do the same to them next week.

Well we need to belt them like that too.

Remi Moses
03-04-2011, 01:23 AM
Got a typical licorice all sorts from Harbrow tonight.
Good run and carry Indiscriminte kicks, not much defense on his opponent,bit harder without Brian and Dale down back for Jarryd

Maddog37
03-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Anyone think some of norths much vaunted kids like ziebell and cunnington may not be all they hoped or am I being too harsh?

azabob
03-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Anyone think some of norths much vaunted kids like ziebell and cunnington may not be all they hoped or am I being too harsh?

The issue is they are all the same type of player and very one paced and it isn't a very quick pace.

bornadog
03-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Got a typical licorice all sorts from Harbrow tonight.
Good run and carry Indiscriminte kicks, not much defense on his opponent,bit harder without Brian and Dale down back for Jarryd

37% kicking efficiency last year with us. Not as good as he thinks he is.

soupman
03-04-2011, 11:08 AM
The issue is they are all the same type of player and very one paced and it isn't a very quick pace.

Could end up having some of the deficiencies of our midfield.

Sedat
03-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Sounds familiar

lemmon
03-04-2011, 02:04 PM

Atley looks a gem though, watched bits and pieces yesterday and he looked to be the only positive

Jasper
04-04-2011, 04:02 PM

He made a large number of bets with AFL identities about this very thing at their season launch I recall him saying.
Might have to delay the hair plugs another year as this will severly dent the cash flow.

There's no doubting he can break a story, but his footy opinions in general are no better than drip-tray banter at the local

Topdog
04-04-2011, 04:25 PM
He made a large number of bets with AFL identities about this very thing at their season launch I recall him saying.
Might have to delay the hair plugs another year as this will severly dent the cash flow.

There's no doubting he can break a story, but his footy opinions in general are no better than drip-tray banter at the local

LOL that is brilliant.

So basically he is a journalist not a football journalist. I'd say thats pretty much correct.