PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Higgins on Triple M soon!!

LostDoggy
05-04-2011, 05:01 PM
FYI, Shaun Higgins is going to be on Triple Ms 'Drive Home' this afternoon. :)

SonofScray
09-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Hopefully to announce he realises that he doesn't work hard enough and needs to lift his work ethic and attitude to really be deserving of the praise that gets heaped on him by the media and all the teenage girls. I don't have a lot of respect for Shaun's football, he is putting together some really insipid performances so far.

Missed his shots, lost his feet and was blown up, hands on hips way too early after way too few efforts at the contest.

Mofra
09-04-2011, 06:41 PM
You mean the guy that lead the team for tackles today?

Anyone want to defend us as being balanced, loyal supporters again? :rolleyes:

Greystache
09-04-2011, 07:21 PM
You mean the guy that lead the team for tackles today?

Anyone want to defend us as being balanced, loyal supporters again? :rolleyes:

???

He had 3 tackles for the day, 9 other Bulldog players had equal or more.

SonofScray
09-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Next time I will preface any criticism of the golden boy with a warning for our more balanced fans. :rolleyes:

16 contested possessions according to the stats, which credit where it is due is some good output given the knock I've had on him. One of our worst offenders for clangers though, which given his reputation as a 'skills' guy is not good enough.

My impression of him is that he doesn't work hard enough, if his output is up in one area, its out in another. Today his effort is close according to the stats was probably OK, to me at the game it was a standard lackluster effort from him. I'll placate the fans who get shirty about all the negativity and give him the benefit of the doubt. That given, his return in front of goals, his big strength was very poor. So by either measure he has failed to get things done again and I am sick of hearing on the radio about how elite his game is. Sick of fans giving him a free ride.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Wake up SOS.

Higgins has been given a free ride by nobody. His effort has been pretty good the last two weeks, his defensive game having improved noticeably. If you can't see that, you're kidding yourself.

We have far, far bigger problems than Higgins - who isn't even close to being a problem.

Remi Moses
09-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Thought he was good today and worked hard. Mi

stefoid
09-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Disposal efficiency was 53%

anfo27
09-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Disposal efficiency was 53%

Thought he was a little selfish today. He took a few shots when he should of given to someone in a better position. He just needs to do take he easier option at times instead of trying to make it look good. I have noticed an improvement on his defensive game.

LostDoggy
09-04-2011, 08:51 PM
As his stats showed today, his kicking at goal has really fallen away. He makes me nervous like Gia does with the easy ones.

Ghost Dog
09-04-2011, 08:56 PM
He doesn't look fired up. Slipped over and easily beaten by Harbrow.
Does some great things but those set shots are a worry.

KT31
09-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Does some great things but those set shots are a worry.

^^^^^
Lacked passion today and could have easily found better options.
I think I counted five easy misses.
Hope it was just because it was against the Suns and he fires up against the Pie's.

bornadog
10-04-2011, 12:20 AM

Who promptly kicked straight to a bulldog player who then kicked it to Higgins on his own.

I thought Higgns did very well today and he could easily have had at least 4 goals on the board. Picked up 9 marks and plenty of the ball.

Mofra
10-04-2011, 11:42 AM
He had 3 tackles for the day, 9 other Bulldog players had equal or more.
Strange, the bigscreen at the ground had him at 9 tackles.

bornadog
10-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Strange, the bigscreen at the ground had him at 9 tackles.

Yes I saw that too, but they got their tackles and marks mixed up. Higgins had 9 marks.

Ghost Dog
10-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Who promptly kicked straight to a bulldog player who then kicked it to Higgins on his own.

I thought Higgns did very well today and he could easily have had at least 4 goals on the board. Picked up 9 marks and plenty of the ball.

"Easily have had" is not good enough. It's all for nothing if they are not slotted.
I love Shuan, he did do well but those easy goals are a must.
part of the frustration is having him play but not play in 2010.
He does look confident.

LostDoggy
10-04-2011, 04:55 PM
I think he brings a lot to the side and is judged harshly because we expect so much from him. A very important member of the team with the class to beat any opponent, he just needs to be seen to work a bit harder as per a recent article with griffen.

Scorlibo
10-04-2011, 06:32 PM
If he had kicked slightly more accurately 4 times, he'd be hailed as an easy BOG.

I also tend to disagree on the intensity issue, in all three games this year I think he has shown an absolute hunger for the contest and a want to get the ball. His desperation has been really excellent.

Remember when Griffen first started improving his numbers last year? His skills were shocking. But they slowly picked up as he got used to disposing of the ball under constant pressure. The same will happen with Higgins imo.

chef
10-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Happy to see him leading the game with 16 contested possies. He's well on the way to having a good season.

LostDoggy
10-04-2011, 06:37 PM
If he had kicked slightly more accurately 4 times, he'd be hailed as an easy BOG.

I also tend to disagree on the intensity issue, in all three games this year I think he has shown an absolute hunger for the contest and a want to get the ball. His desperation has been really excellent.

Remember when Griffen first started improving his numbers last year? His skills were shocking. But they slowly picked up as he got used to disposing of the ball under constant pressure. The same will happen with Higgins imo.

I gave it to him anyway in the forum votes.

KT31
10-04-2011, 11:43 PM
I think he brings a lot to the side and is judged harshly because we expect so much from him. A very important member of the team with the class to beat any opponent, he just needs to be seen to work a bit harder as per a recent article with griffen.

IMO we show him leniency, if it had of been Guido or in previous years the Eagle , Woofer would be all over him wiyth his accuracy this week.

comrade
10-04-2011, 11:49 PM
IMO we show him leniency, if it had of been Guido or in previous years the Eagle , Woofer would be all over him wiyth his accuracy this week.

If he'd missed those shots in a tight loss, we'd be all over him. Missing a few dollies in a 70 point win doesn't really piss me off as much.

KT31
10-04-2011, 11:52 PM
If he'd missed those shots in a tight loss, we'd be all over him. Missing a few dollies in a 70 point win doesn't really piss me off as much.

Agree, but we were playing a team we all had expected to beat by 100.

Ozza
11-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Personally, I think his intensity the last 2 weeks has been a lot better. He performed well on the weekend - with his kicking for goal the only thing that really let him down....he was never going to beat Harbrow in a foot race to the ball - not his go....but at least he got on his bike and put himself in a position to get the footy straight afterwards.

G-Mo77
11-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Agree, but we were playing a team we all had expected to beat by 100.

I didn't. I guessed 75 in the Game Day thread and wasn't far off. The expectations were raised because Carlton beat them by almost 120 points and IMO that was very unrealistic to match that. Anything less than that was always going to set off the pessimists.

Maddog37
11-04-2011, 12:55 PM
The one thing about Higgo that annoys me is his tendency to lie on the ground after every collision rather than bouncing up. I know it is nitpicking but it always looks like he is hurt and seems a bit dramatic at times.

He is also laconic which will forever and a day be punished by fans expecting more.

I tend to worry more about getting the ball more than efficency unless it is an ongoing issue. Higgins does tend to go for more adventurous kicks than some other players which effects his conversion too imo.

If he gets the ball 32 times every week I would be absolutely over the moon.

LostDoggy
11-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Wake up SOS.

Higgins has been given a free ride by nobody. His effort has been pretty good the last two weeks, his defensive game having improved noticeably. If you can't see that, you're kidding yourself.

We have far, far bigger problems than Higgins - who isn't even close to being a problem.

Agree - he has lifted and i like seeing him get a few contested possies. I have been very critical of Higgins in the last few years, but he is showing signs of stepping up. It is easy to step up when playing the Lions or the Suns though - so i wait to see him step up in a big game.

Yes - we set our standards high for Higgins but that is because everyone thinks he can be great.

comrade
11-04-2011, 06:38 PM
The one thing about Higgo that annoys me is his tendency to lie on the ground after every collision rather than bouncing up. I know it is nitpicking but it always looks like he is hurt and seems a bit dramatic at times.

He is also laconic which will forever and a day be punished by fans expecting more.

I tend to worry more about getting the ball more than efficency unless it is an ongoing issue. Higgins does tend to go for more adventurous kicks than some other players which effects his conversion too imo.

He has made an artform of chasing, then running into the opposition shepherder and falling over so he doesn't have to chase anymore.

Gives me the irrits but apart from that, he played a nice game.

Ghost Dog
11-04-2011, 09:45 PM

Maybe in training we could tazer him everytime he falls over?
Personally, I want to shave his pretty-boy head. :D Get him a rat tail. SOMETHING!..I know...Let's make him live in Braybrook!
Basically, He's too cool for school and Dogs are never too cool for school.( according to Denis Cometti )

RE above, if he only slotted the ones straight in front from 30 out I would be happy for starters!!

Raw Toast
12-04-2011, 12:44 AM

Excellent post. We clearly need Higgins to kick those goals against quality opposition, but if he had kicked them everyone would be singing his praises - he doesn't have the closing speed of many players, and so can seem disinterested, but I think he is building nicely.

Dry Rot
12-04-2011, 12:52 AM
We have far, far bigger problems than Higgins .

What do you think they are?

1eyedog
12-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Seriously, half the team ended up with more than 100 points as they should against kids. His output was once again below par, he looks disinterested and his skill sets and awareness are down on 2009. Further to this his set shots are now an issue to go along with his lack of pace. How long do we persist and do we have unusually high expectations?

He is a liability in the middle because he is not hard enough at the contest and doesn't have pace. IMO he should be playing permanently in a forward pocket.

Curly5
12-04-2011, 08:14 PM
As his stats showed today, his kicking at goal has really fallen away. He makes me nervous like Gia does with the easy ones.

Hey, why don't we turn every thread into an opportunity to bash Gia? :cool:

"Easily have had" is not good enough. It's all for nothing if they are not slotted.
I love Shaun, he did do well but those easy goals are a must.
part of the frustration is having him play but not play in 2010.
He does look confident.

I agree, but many of the others have the goal yips also. Just got to nail every opportunity.

Maybe in training we could tazer him everytime he falls over?
Personally, I want to shave his pretty-boy head. :D Get him a rat tail. SOMETHING!..I know...Let's make him live in Braybrook!
Basically, He's too cool for school and Dogs are never too cool for school.( according to Denis Cometti )

RE above, if he only slotted the ones straight in front from 30 out I would be happy for starters!!

True! But no gimmicks please. One Callan Ward "do" is more than enough!

ratsmac
13-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Wow I've always seen Higgins as a hard worker when he is fit. I think its his to cool for school attuiude that makes him look like he might be taking it easy out there, but he generally works hard IMO. He is no Daniel Cross or Matthew Boyd, but they are freaks of nature. Every player is different and you could probably say that half the players could work harder on any given day. Higgins always has a reasonable tackle count which says to me he is putting in. I am quite happy with Higgins out put so far this year, he just has to start hitting more targets and slotting the easy goals. As far as work rate goes I think its quite good.

always right
13-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Seriously, half the team ended up with more than 100 points as they should against kids. His output was once again below par, he looks disinterested and his skill sets and awareness are down on 2009. Further to this his set shots are now an issue to go along with his lack of pace. How long do we persist and do we have unusually high expectations?

He is a liability in the middle because he is not hard enough at the contest and doesn't have pace. IMO he should be playing permanently in a forward pocket.

I must be watching a different player. I was extremely critical of Higgins last year....sure he had injuries, but that simply means he should not have played.

I like what I see this year. He wasn't even close to being our worst against the bombers and he has played well in the subsequent games albeit against inferior opposition. He has nevertheless been harder at the ball and has been impressive. All he needs to do is nail those set shots. It will come.....he has a great kicking style and I am always happy to see the ball in his hands when we are shooting for goal.

As for Gia, he had the goal kicking yips years ago. He is a very reliable set shot nowadays. Sorry not to bash Gia...I feel like the black sheep on this board.:rolleyes:

immortalmike
13-04-2011, 02:25 PM

He lead the team in contested possessions and was our lead tackler inside our forward 50. The fact is he had at least five shots at goal specifically because of his hard work.

ledge
13-04-2011, 03:03 PM
I must be watching a different player. I was extremely critical of Higgins last year....sure he had injuries, but that simply means he should not have played.

I like what I see this year. He wasn't even close to being our worst against the bombers and he has played well in the subsequent games albeit against inferior opposition. He has nevertheless been harder at the ball and has been impressive. All he needs to do is nail those set shots. It will come.....he has a great kicking style and I am always happy to see the ball in his hands when we are shooting for goal.

As for Gia, he had the goal kicking yips years ago. He is a very reliable set shot nowadays. Sorry not to bash Gia...I feel like the black sheep on this board.:rolleyes:

Higgins his set shots are below par, thats the only problem I see with him and even he would know that!
More goalkicking practice from angles under pressure at training for all forwards I say.
Seems to be a whole league problem this year.

Maddog37
13-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Might be due to fatigue as a result of the sub rule also early in the year teams are still getting used o the tempo.

ledge
13-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Sorry Maddog I would love to say its fatigue but I dont think thats the case when he misses early in games, maybe if its late in the game and we had no interchange left due to injury.
Fatigue just doesnt cut it in his case.
He is just simply missing shots he should get.

immortalmike
13-04-2011, 05:42 PM

I disagree I think in this case you're less a black sheep and more the voice of reason.

Sorry Maddog I would love to say its fatigue but I dont think thats the case when he misses early in games, maybe if its late in the game and we had no interchange left due to injury.
Fatigue just doesnt cut it in his case.
He is just simply missing shots he should get.

Bu historically set shots have been one of Shiggins' strengths, even as late as last year he rarely missed. I think people are getting carried away with a couple of bad misses in one game. We all have off days...

Topdog
13-04-2011, 10:29 PM

agree with all of the above.

FrediKanoute
13-04-2011, 10:59 PM
So what did Higgo have to say when he was on MMM?

bornadog
13-04-2011, 11:19 PM
So what did Higgo have to say when he was on MMM?

He was on SEN today and sounded very impressive. Was asked the usual stuff about the Ward incident, his injuries last year, his form this year and where would he like to ultimately play. He said he preferred the midfiled with stints in the forward line. Not much else really.

On a side note, did anyone see that he flipped the coin on Saturday? I thought it was a milestone of some sorts that I missed but apparently Boyd wants the leadership group to share the responsibilites like the toss of the coin.

LostDoggy
13-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Yes I was wondering the same as I read through all those opinions on Shaun's game last week. Maybe everyone was too busy on here to listen!!!!

BulldogBelle
14-04-2011, 07:09 AM
AFL is a game of mistakes. If you care to look at any player really closely and you will find their mistakes. Any some of their mistakes or inadequacies they will repeat from week to week and annoy the crap out of you.

I watch the replay of each match about 4 times and I frankly can't understand the Gia knockers or the Higgins knockers. You guys must look too closely and see all the freckles, and hairy moles and the pimples with pus coming out.

Put the microscope away for a bit (except of course if you are looking at Stack or Addison, then its OK).

As Julius Caesar once said to Shakespeare "It is Brutus whose good is interred with his bones."
Or something like that.

Desipura
14-04-2011, 09:53 AM
AFL is a game of mistakes. If you care to look at any player really closely and you will find their mistakes. Any some of their mistakes or inadequacies they will repeat from week to week and annoy the crap out of you.

I watch the replay of each match about 4 times and I frankly can't understand the Gia knockers or the Higgins knockers. You guys must look too closely and see all the freckles, and hairy moles and the pimples with pus coming out.

Put the microscope away for a bit (except of course if you are looking at Stack or Addison, then its OK).

As Julius Caesar once said to Shakespeare "It is Brutus whose good is interred with his bones."
Or something like that.
You can watch it another 10 times and you will not capture everything. Unless you are at the game and watching where the players are running or not running to when they do not have the ball, it is hard to give an accurate summation of a player. The camera generally just follows the player with the ball.
I do not have any issues when both these players have the ball in their hands.