aker39
07-04-2011, 12:23 PM
When and Where

Saturday April 9
2.10 pm
Etihad Stadium

Form leading in

Western Bulldogs

After a very disappointing start to the season, and if you believe what you read, a fairly heated review of that game, the Dogs came out against the Lions and showed a lot more effort and intensity. This was reflected in the number of tackles laid, led by 2nd gamer Tom Liberatore.

Although the improved performance, until we play against one of the top sides, we will not get a true indication of where we are at, and this weeks game will not clear up any of our doubts.

Gold Coast Suns

I don't think the Suns could have scripted a worse start to their history. 5 goals down after 9 minutes, totally non competitive, and a final result of a 20 goals loss.

With them having 12 first gamers, they were always going to struggle, but when the "experienced" players failed to fire, it was a receipe for disaster. I read a tweet that said that a few of their uncontracted players probably shouldn't have played due to a lack of preparation, but they had to play them to balance the ledger.

The only concern for us is that they can't get any worse then the were on Saturday night. The more they play together, the better they will get.

Potential Line Ups

Western Bulldogs

B: Hill, Lake, Morris
HB: Murphy, Williams, Gilbee
C: Griffen, Boyd, Picken
HF: Higgins, Grant, Ward
F: Giansiracusa, Hall, Cooney
Foll: Hudson, Cross, Liberatore
I/C: Markovic, Roughhead, Stack, Sherman
Emg: Wallis, Jones, Djerrkura

Gold Coast Suns

B: Seb Tape, Nathan Bock, Campbell Brown
HB: Jarrod Harbrow, Karmichael Hunt, Nathan Krakouer
C: Trent McKenzie, Daniel Harris, Michael Rischitelli
HF: Danny Stanley, Jared Brennan, Alik Magin
F: Dion Prestia, Charlie Dixon, Brandon Matera
Foll: Zac Smith, David Swallow, Gary Ablett (c)
Int: Marc Lock, Harley Bennell, Josn Fraser, Josh Toy

Key Match ups

Hudson/Roughhead v Fraser/Smith

Last weeks games showed that we really do need to play 2 ruckman. As good has Huddo has been he can't go it alone, and taking Williams out of the backline to ruck did not work in round 1.

If their 1st game is anything to go by, Zac Smith is already ahead of Josh Fraser with TOG of 91% & 78% respectively. Smith was of one of few positives for the Suns and I expect Roughhead maybe to play against him and Huddo take on Fraser, who didn't look very good last week.

Williams v Dixon

The other shining light for the Suns was Charlie Dixon, and at 200cm and 100kg, he is an imposing figure. I think Tom Williams will get the job on Dixon, and at 196cm and 100kg, he matches up well in the size stakes.

Boyd v Ablett

Boyd has been the player to take Ablett in the past. Ablett will be keen to do better this week and Boyd will need to show him a lot more respect than he has in the past.

Libba v Swallow

All preseason the talk has been about Swallow and how he was the standout No.1 draft pick. If you saw the bare chested photo of him last week, you would have seen a body ready for the rigors of AFL footy.

But we have our own 1st year player ready for AFL footy and I'm sure he is loking forward to the challenge of taking on Swallow. Libba has been the standout of the 1st two rounds and this is another good challenge for him.

Picken v Harbrow

Couldn't forget our former player in Harbrow. In his last few years at the Dogs he became one of our most important and favourite players with his run off the backline. He was one of the very poor players for the Suns last week and speaking to the media this week he has said that he let his team down and is looking for redemption this week.

The man to put him in his place and let him know what he will miss out on later this year is Picken. Picken gives 100% every week and with the added motivation of playing on a former team mate, he will relish the opportunity.

Where the game will be won and lost

The Suns will enter this game with their confidence absolutely smashed. We have been notourious slow starters, but must come out firing and set the scence early on. Don't give them a sniff.

Assuming Hall is fit to play, he could have a field day. Bock looks like his likely opponent, but he was seriously underdone last week and looked a little over weight. If their is no pressure in the midfield, I would expect better delivery to Hall than he has got in the first 2 rounds. If their is any doubt on Hall during the game and he is subbed again, than Lake can go forward.

Where do the Suns get their goals from? Well other than Charlie Dixon, the only other forward who showed any thing was Brandon Matera. Jared Brennan is very unpredictable, but at his best, he can score from anywhere.

Rischitelli is a very good player and Daniel Harris is serviceable, but our midfield should be far too good.

The Suns have suggested that they will go in unchanged.

Verdict

The only thing the Dogs can get out of this game is percentage. We are expected to win and win easily. After increasing our percentage from 53% to 114% last week, another healthy rise should be on the cards.

Stack and Hill should get some more confidence and Lake and Gilbee some match fitness.
The Suns can't get any worse than last week but I can't see the Dogs having any trouble covering the line of 65 points.

Cyberdoggie
07-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the review.

Picken on Harbrow would be great to watch but as they usually play down opposite ends of the park it may not happen.

Having said that it wouldn't surprise me if Eade decides to make life difficult for Harbrow by doing so. I bear him no ill will but anyone who leaves the club for the money should be made an example of when they play against us.

Not suggesting he should be roughed up but if comes running out of defence i'd suggest to our players to just follow him and take him out of the play so he never gets the ball back again. Everytime he touches the ball he should be tackled or pushed out of play as a priority, even if it results in his teammate running off freely for a goal. ;)

You never know it may put second thoughts in a few others minds if GWS come calling.

Sockeye Salmon
07-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Picken should go to Ablett and Boyd head-to-head with Harris

EasternWest
07-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Nice review a39.

I love the look of that Dixon kid. He's a bit like a newborn foal, but when he really develops he'll be a great player.

I love how he physically imposed himself on forward contests. If he couldn't get the grab, he'd smash a few in the process.

They had quite a few nice plays that were ultimately undone by youthful nerves. I agree that playing together for longer will make them better, but it's gonna be a long year for them.

Cool pick for Harby. I've tried to hold a grudge against the kid, but I can't. That being said, if Picken works him over in play, I wont shed a heap of tears.

LostDoggy
07-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Would be interesting to see Pickers on Harbrow, but like others, I don't think it will happen. Maybe Harbrow will take Higgins? Thanks for the preview BTW! I am, however, hoping that Minson gets a run - can we fit him in without dropping Roughie?

The Bulldogs Bite
07-04-2011, 02:42 PM
I read that Harbrow said he expected attention, and that Gia later came out and said that wouldn't be the case.

I would be pretty disappointed if we didn't remind him of what he's missing out on. We've got to start getting physical and intimidating. Whilst this isn't the be all and end all, it's usually always a key component of a great side. I still have images of Collingwood roughing up Higgins and a couple of our other players last year in the finals.

Nothing stupid, but Harbrow should feel body contact.

Good preview, by the way. I can't disagree with anything. I was impressed with Dixon last week, looks like he could be a very, very good player in a few years time.

Sockeye Salmon
07-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Nice review a39.

I love the look of that Dixon kid. He's a bit like a newborn foal, but when he really develops he'll be a great player.

I love how he physically imposed himself on forward contests. If he couldn't get the grab, he'd smash a few in the process.

I thought he looked like a total gumby!

I would guess he dropped 4 uncontested marks (including the one where he kicked their first ever goal, and why didn't he handball over the top anyway?).

Looks fantastic, but is he Tarzan or Jane?

Greystache
07-04-2011, 03:29 PM

I would guess he dropped 4 uncontested marks (including the one where he kicked their first ever goal, and why didn't he handball over the top anyway?).

Not me, for a kid playing in his first game I think he looks a gun in the making. He made a few mistakes, but every young KPF does early on, he attacked the footy hard, took a few good grabs, and even when he dropped a mark showed he had some ability to follow up the contest.

He looks like someone GC can build a team around.

always right
07-04-2011, 03:34 PM

I thought he looked a fantastic prospect. Most kids of his height look completely lost but he had an impact on every contest and looked a willing worker. Got his hands to the ball clearly on a number of occasions but as you mentioned spilt the marks.....this time next year he'll be holding them. Someone the Suns will build their forwardline around in years to come.

LostDoggy
07-04-2011, 03:39 PM
200cm, 101kg and agile.

Loved his attack and effort. Gun.

Mantis
07-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Good work A39 (time for a new user name me thinks), tough game to preview given how little we know about GC, but on last weeks performance there isn't much to know anyway.

Agree with your call on Fraser, he looked ordinary. I would still think Scotty Clayton would be pissed off that McKenna picked Fraser over Minson especially on what Josh produced against Carlton. How long did they sign him for? Hopefully it's just a 6 week contract as Smith looks good to go... and I see Gorringe is going to debut this week too so McKenna's decision here looks silly... I guess it gives him something to discuss in the post match pow-wow.

Not sure on Dixon, saw bits of play that made me think he was a gumby too SS, but he did a couple of decent things which made me think otherwise... but in the abortion that was their performance any decent effort really stood out.

We win easily... and hoping we don't just go through the motions. We need to play with intensity... Maintain the rage.

Ozza
07-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Bit of a hiding to nothing in many ways this week.

On the most part - Bulldogs fans will expect a free flowing goal fest - and to win by at least 20 goals.
After last week - I suspect McKenna will not allow the game to play out so free flowing (if he can help it) so it has the hallmarks of being a little frustrating for those turning up expecting us to kick 30 goals.

Hope I'm wrong. I still think we will win by a long way....it just might be more 120 to 40 - than 180 to 60.

EasternWest
07-04-2011, 04:26 PM
He's a bit like a newborn foal, but when he really develops he'll be a great player.

You can see elements of agreement there, but I think total gumby is way off.

I love Will Minson, but this kid already crashes packs way better than him. It's innate for him, unlike our Will (no, I know nobody mentioned Will, but I'm remarking more on his natural feel for the game).

I maintain he's a gun in the making.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-04-2011, 06:28 PM
If Dixon played for us, he'd be hailed a gun.

Jones has made plenty of bad, simple errors but is still thought of very highly. Dixon has just as much, if not more potential.

bornadog
07-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Great Preview A39. I guess Jones dropped due to his height as Suns backline is short and with Roughhead in the team as well, one had to be dropped. Markovic keeps his spot as insurance in case Brian is a bit scratchy.

The boys better put in 100% and not take this lightly as anything less than a 10 goal thrashing is almost a fail.

Hotdog60
07-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Picken should go to Ablett and Boyd head-to-head with Harris

I agree with SS here, Picken should shut down Ablett and without the Geelong mids blocking and giving him space Picken should do the job nicely.