PDA

View Full Version : Game Day 2011 - R3 Western Bulldogs vs GCS

BulldogBelle
07-04-2011, 10:24 PM
This is the discussion thread for our Saturday afternoon game against GCS at ES.

My predictions are:

The Dogs by 103 points
BOG : Matthew Boyd
Ryan Griffen to kick the first goal.

bornadog
07-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Dogs by 67 points

BOG - Griffen

First Goal - Gia

LostDoggy
07-04-2011, 11:35 PM
Dogs by 71 points

BOG - Higgins

First Goal - Hall

AndrewP6
07-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Dogs by 66 points
BOG Grant
First goal Higgins

Flamethrower
08-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Bulldogs by 69 points

First goal: Brian Lake

BOG: Adam Cooney

Greystache
08-04-2011, 12:07 AM
Bulldogs by 85 points
First Goal- Lake
BOG- Ward

LostDoggy
08-04-2011, 01:49 AM
Buldogs by 77 points
GC to be goaless in 1st qtr.
FG: Roughead
BOG: K Hunt (lol)

SlimPickens
08-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Dogs- 92pts
First Goal- Grant
BOG-Cooney
10 supporters behind the away goals

LostDoggy
08-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Dogs by 85
First goal = Cooney
BOG = Griff

Go_Dogs
08-04-2011, 09:48 AM
No one picking GC this week? ;)

Dogs by 120 points
Cooney BOG
Hall first goal - if he doesn't play, Roughead

G-Mo77
08-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Dogs by 75
BOG - Griffen
First Goal - Hall

KT31
08-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Dogs by 130pts
BOG - GRiff
First - Bazza (First of 10)
Rising Star - Libba

LostDoggy
08-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Doggies by 134
BOG Boyd
FG Higgins

LostDoggy
08-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Dogs by 140 points
BOG: Ryan Griffen
First goal: Barry Hall

the banker
08-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Dogs 78

BOG Higgins

first goal Higgins

Grantysghost
08-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Dogs by 99
BOG Bazza (8 goals!)
First Goal Baz

LostDoggy
08-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Dogs by 24 points

BOG - Cooney

First Goal - Grant

Doggy
08-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Dogs by 116
BOG - Cooney (175 SC points)
First Goal - Higgins

turtle
08-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Dogs by 69 (whilst I hope the predictions of 100+ come true, I think Suns will not be a shell shocked this week)
BOG Griff
First Goal Grant
Crowd 15,000

BornInDroopSt'54
08-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Dogs 78

BOG Higgins

first goal Higgins

Interesting...so that comment you made to me last week about Higgins being a show pony was only one facet of how you see him. I still hope he's got a couple of levels in his development. I'm guessing your reasoning is that the ball will be in the forward line so much and he will thrive with the inexperienced attention.

Dogs by 103 pt's
BOG Griffen
First Goal Cooney

EasternWest
08-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Dogs by 48
BOG Cooney
First Goal Boyd

DOG GOD
08-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Dogs by 27 pts
BOG - Boyd
1st goal - Grant

LostDoggy
08-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Dogs by 68 pts
BOG - Ward
1st goal - Markovic

LostDoggy
08-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Dogs by 125
First Goal Sherman
BOG Griff

NoName
08-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Bulldogs by 86
First Goal:- Cal Ward
BOG:- Libba

LostDoggy
09-04-2011, 12:53 AM
Dogs by: 75pts
First goal: Grant
BOG: Murph

chef
09-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Doggies by 121
First Goal Grant
BOG Stack

Scraggers
09-04-2011, 01:34 PM
No free to air coverage on either tv or radio for today's game in WA ... have to listen (delayed) via AFL website or via Digital radio (DAB+) please keep us 'blind' supporters up to date today.

EasternWest
09-04-2011, 01:59 PM
No free to air coverage on either tv or radio for today's game in WA ... have to listen (delayed) via AFL website or via Digital radio (DAB+) please keep us 'blind' supporters up to date today.

Have you got the tune in radio app on your iphone? It's a good app, you can pick up any of the broadcast stations.

Scraggers
09-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Have you got the tune in radio app on your iphone? It's a good app, you can pick up any of the broadcast stations.

Yeah, I have ... But, as I discovered last week, it is more delayed than the radio on the AFL website (between 10 - 90 secs later depending on my Wi-Fi)

EasternWest
09-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I have ... But, as I discovered last week, it is more delayed than the radio on the AFL website (between 10 - 90 secs later depending on my Wi-Fi)

Really? That's weird. I've noticed maybe five seconds or so delay. Weird.

Doggy
09-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Stack is sub for todays game.

LostDoggy
09-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Bazza warming up, no change

Ghost Dog
09-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Dogs by 70
BOG Ryan
First Goal Grant

GVGjr
09-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Crowd looks disappointing.

GVGjr
09-04-2011, 04:31 PM
How dirty was Campbell Browns efforts? He should get a decent holiday.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Crowd looks disappointing.

Commentators seem pleased with it?

Disappointing decision not to close the roof, commentators saying lots of rain on the way.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-04-2011, 04:42 PM

Totally, he might also be in trouble for his head high bump on Barry Hall too.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Quite disappointed with our play today. From the outsides - and I know this would not be the case, but they look to be just coasting, with sloppy efforts with ball use, lots of dropped sitters, and are getting seriously hammered at the clearances.
We may win this buy a large margin, but overall not impressed so far.

GVGjr
09-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Commentators seem pleased with it?

Disappointing decision not to close the roof, commentators saying lots of rain on the way.

People flooded in very late.

Sedat
09-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Sockeye called it early, but Charlie Dixon looks gumby material. Zac Smith on the other hand will be scary good in 2014.

Hotdog60
09-04-2011, 06:13 PM
I was a little disappointed in the Dogs application today. Skills were down and Higgins played very well but let himself down with his goal kicking, who is generally very accurate shot shot.

Gilbee look OK and did some nice passes.

Go_Dogs
09-04-2011, 06:25 PM

Yep, what an idiot. I think he'll get weeks for both the Ward elbow and the head high contact on Hall.

Overall it was an alright performance for mine. Still a lot more we can get out of Cooney who isn't quite there at the moment. Lake will be better for the run. Gilbee looked alright.

We'll get a better chance to assess the team after the bye, but I think we're heading in the right direction and a few of the younger guys like Ward, Hill, Roughead etc are coming along well. No injuries also another positive.

Dry Rot
09-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Only saw the second half but it looked pretty poor.

Same old same old, with ball just popping back out of forward line, loose Gold Coast players everywhere, little accountability etc. Ball going into the forwardline -> no structure.

chef
09-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Sockeye called it early, but Charlie Dixon looks gumby material. Zac Smith on the other hand will be scary good in 2014.

He reminds me of Hawkins, which is unfortunate for him.

jazzadogs
09-04-2011, 07:18 PM
I know it was a 70 point win, but there weren't a whole lot of good signs.

Lake and Gilbee were solid in their return, and I think 'solid' is a good way to describe most of our player's games. Seemed to be going through the motions.

Got beaten too easily and too consistently in the clearances, and our forward entries were not at a good enough standard.

Brown is going to get weeks.

LostDoggy
09-04-2011, 07:27 PM
I think games like these really highlight our lack of system. We are totally hit or miss. The last three weeks has done nothing for my confidence in the team or coaching staff.

Grantysghost
09-04-2011, 07:38 PM
I felt today was an average performance. So many times we get caught without a guy defensive side of stoppages and we get smashed in the clearances. 15 - 3 at quarter time was probably the reason Rocket launched into a tirade at the break.
Sloppy skills in general also, no clean hands except Libba, players like Boyd, Cross, Higgins seemed really slow at getting the ball going in tight and usually the options dry up and they turn it over . Seeing Harbrows clean execution made me realise what we have lost, although Josh is doing well so far.
Worried about what Freo and Pies may do to us, but hard to judge from the last couple of weeks.

Good to see Lake back.

LostDoggy
09-04-2011, 07:48 PM
We looked good with Lake, Williams and Markovic at the back. Lake moved well and was solid, Gilbee will be the better for the run. We are still too focused on trying to drop the ball on BBBB's head, we do have a real need for other players to lead and present. Young Grant was too quiet. Our lack of forward defensive pressure shows in the fact we lost the tackle count. Also losing the clearances is not the standard that will please Rocket. Minson will have to tear the roof down to replace Roughead, he is another level up with his agility and overhead marking.

We did win, we have improved our percentage but the way we built the win was not convincing

LostDoggy
09-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Hall seemed a little off today. Seems to be a step behind from last year. Still looks decent, hopefully the week off will get his body 100%

Ghost Dog
09-04-2011, 08:48 PM
I felt today was an average performance. So many times we get caught without a guy defensive side of stoppages and we get smashed in the clearances. 15 - 3 at quarter time was probably the reason Rocket launched into a tirade at the break.
Sloppy skills in general also, no clean hands except Libba, players like Boyd, Cross, Higgins seemed really slow at getting the ball going in tight and usually the options dry up and they turn it over . Seeing Harbrows clean execution made me realise what we have lost, although Josh is doing well so far.
Worried about what Freo and Pies may do to us, but hard to judge from the last couple of weeks.

Good to see Lake back.

Hang on. I thought Bob's disposal was pretty good. But, yes, there were some frustrating passages with simple turnovers.

Ghost Dog
09-04-2011, 08:49 PM
I know it was a 70 point win, but there weren't a whole lot of good signs.

Lake and Gilbee were solid in their return, and I think 'solid' is a good way to describe most of our player's games. Seemed to be going through the motions.

Got beaten too easily and too consistently in the clearances, and our forward entries were not at a good enough standard.

Brown is going to get weeks.

Right

Ghost Dog
09-04-2011, 08:50 PM
I was a little disappointed in the Dogs application today. Skills were down and Higgins played very well but let himself down with his goal kicking, who is generally very accurate shot shot.

Gilbee look OK and did some nice passes.

Hill did some good things but dropped a sitter or two. Frustrating

AndrewP6
09-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Hall seemed a little off today. Seems to be a step behind from last year. Still looks decent, hopefully the week off will get his body 100%

He might well have slowed a touch (although has commented that his speed remains). I thought he looked fine - 5 goals was a great return IMO.

AndrewP6
09-04-2011, 09:30 PM
A bit of an underwhelming win, to be honest. Good signs from Roughy, Griff and Li'l Libba looks the goods. I thought Shermanator showed some good run, and it was great to have Lake back in the back (tee hee!). Bazz was really good I thought, not only kicking the majors but looking to dish off to teammates. Gia gets an exemption (I just read he has had gastro), Higgins needs to convert those set shots (also read he was vomiting after a heavy knock). Boo to the AFL for leaving the roof open, even Rex Hunt predicted rain.

Campbell Brown ought to have a five week bye.

lemmon
09-04-2011, 10:50 PM
I still think we lack a crumber, having a look at what Blair did against Carlton its one of the few pieces of the puzzle we still lack.

Stevo
09-04-2011, 10:54 PM
I still think we lack a crumber, having a look at what Blair did against Carlton its one of the few pieces of the puzzle we still lack.

Lem, I agree. I'm not sure if we have one on the list though that could come in and do a good job for us.

Dry Rot
09-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Despite his height, Grant at times is a good crumber IMO.

LostDoggy
09-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Lem, I agree. I'm not sure if we have one on the list though that could come in and do a good job for us.

Hooper is good enough but if Hooper was playing I would want him in the same forward line that had Skinner at HF , both players capable of giving us better defensive pressure but both need to work hard to force their way into the starting side, they will get their turn.

At the moment Addison is the player we need at FP to play the defensive forward role , he and Higgins have worked in tandem before, Addison to apply pressure to force a turnover, Higgins with the skill to score from the turnover

bornadog
10-04-2011, 12:12 AM
Only saw the second half but it looked pretty poor.

Same old same old, with ball just popping back out of forward line, loose Gold Coast players everywhere, little accountability etc. Ball going into the forwardline -> no structure.

and a 70 point shalacking.

Greystache
10-04-2011, 12:42 AM
Does anyone know what was wrong with Gia today? Was he sick or did he cop a heavy knock? I was sitting near the interchange and at quarter time he looked horribly ill, he looked grey and like he was going to vomit. He came back on but was subbed later.

AndrewP6
10-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Does anyone know what was wrong with Gia today? Was he sick or did he cop a heavy knock? I was sitting near the interchange and at quarter time he looked horribly ill, he looked grey and like he was going to vomit. He came back on but was subbed later.

Gastro.

Greystache
10-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Gastro.

Cheers, he looked horrible.

G-Mo77
10-04-2011, 12:44 AM
Gastro.

Which makes you wonder why the didn't make a late change. :confused:

AndrewP6
10-04-2011, 12:45 AM
Which makes you wonder why the didn't make a late change. :confused:

Not sure, maybe Wallis wasn't right to go.

immortalmike
10-04-2011, 01:00 AM
Gastro.

Yes it was concussion related "gastro"....

Gia took a heavy knock early and was loopy after that. I'll leave you guys to draw your own conclusions. Suffice to say Cooney was interviewed after the game and said he hadn't heard anything about Gia having gastro and was under the impression that he was 100%.

AndrewP6
10-04-2011, 01:00 AM
Gia also copped a knock to the head, sliced the scone open. That, and the "gastro" would've lead to the grey-ghost look!

AndrewP6
10-04-2011, 01:03 AM

Gia took a heavy knock early and was loopy after that. I'll leave you guys to draw your own conclusions. Suffice to say Cooney was interviewed after the game and said he hadn't heard anything about Gia having gastro and was under the impression that he was 100%.
Beat me to it!

Gia also copped a knock to the head, sliced the scone open. That, and the "gastro" would've lead to the grey-ghost look!

G-Mo77
10-04-2011, 01:04 AM

That makes more sense. Thanks.

Kind of off topic but who makes the videos that go on the big screen? The new video package of highlights they keep playing is bloody awful!

AndrewP6
10-04-2011, 01:07 AM
Saw it today, but didn't believe my eyes from up on Level 3. Watching the replay on Fox now....

The Beard is gone. :(

BulldogBelle
10-04-2011, 01:10 AM
Saw it today, but didn't believe my eyes from up on Level 3. Watching the replay on Fox now....

The Beard is gone. :(

Why - did he hit somebody?

Dry Rot
10-04-2011, 01:21 AM
and a 70 point shalacking.

So what?

Against the 2011 wooden spooners and not AFL standard.

We are currently a very ordinary side. Both Sydney and WCE would comfortably have beaten us today.

anfo27
10-04-2011, 01:30 AM

saw the same game and when i saw Gartlett zooming around thought i'd love him in our side, that kid is a star.

Before I Die
10-04-2011, 01:37 AM
In a game of football what matters is being in front when the siren sounds.

I appreciate that we are here to discuss/disect the game, but just how high do we need to set the bar? Let's see what the coaching staff come up with and wait until after the Collingwood game before we go all doom and gloom.

I thoughtt Roughead, Libba and Markovic were all solid. Hill has improved and Grant is about to explode. I am a bit nervous about the game plan, but I am reserving my judgement for at least three weeks.

BulldogBelle
10-04-2011, 01:42 AM

I appreciate that we are here to discuss/disect the game, but just how high do we need to set the bar? Let's see what the coaching staff come up with and wait until after the Collingwood game before we go all doom and gloom.

I thoughtt Roughead, Libba and Markovic were all solid. Hill has improved and Grant is about to explode. I am a bit nervous about the game plan, but I am reserving my judgement for at least three weeks.

My thoughts exactly :)

AndrewP6
10-04-2011, 01:45 AM
Why - did he hit somebody?

Not 'he'...."It". The man remains, The Beard has been attacked with a razor.

BulldogBelle
10-04-2011, 01:48 AM
Not 'he'...."It". The man remains, The Beard has been attacked with a razor.

I see :)
Never mind, it will return :p

Ghost Dog
10-04-2011, 08:59 AM

Game plan? I'm nervous about basic skills and getting beaten in clearances by the SUNS!!

Summary of Rocket's press conference

Q: How concerning was the clearence rate?

Diabolical - some of our better players were very average

Barry was good. Week off will help him and others

Stack as sub - Has good pace - didn't use it.
Disappointing. Didn't take his opportunities
Put him foward - thought he might help us.
Didn't work - put him down back.
got some possession but fumbled the ball.

Gia gets a pat. Showed leadership. Gastro hit hard. Got cut.

Cross and Boyd got stacks of the ball. How do you assess their game?

Daniel wasn't supposed to be a clearence player today. More on the wing.
Daniel worked hard - poor efficiency
Disappointing

Boyd did a good job on Ablett. Leadership good.
Matt did well. Generated some possession

Ward hit off ball. Cameras might pick that up.
Grant giving a frees away: very dissapointing

Grantysghost
10-04-2011, 09:12 AM
So what?

We are currently a very ordinary side. Both Sydney and WCE would comfortably have beaten us today.

I dont agree we are ordinary DR, but i get your sentiment. Im looking for some sort of evolution from the team that in the last 3 years didn't beat a side above it in a final, rarely in home and away. Think we still look 4-8th. All teams do what the Crowbots used to do to us and swamp the midfield to quell our run and carry and it seems to still work well. The GCS knew it was defensive gameplan # 1 against us, thats why the clearances become ultra important and we need to be better than yesterday.

The pies game will tell us more, keep the faith until then ;)

LostDoggy
10-04-2011, 10:38 AM
I don't think that we have to wait for the Pies games, Freo will beat us if we play like we did today.
Lacked structure, there were loose Suns players everywhere. No flow to our game.

Ghost Dog
10-04-2011, 10:43 AM
The one thing I was happy with is Boyd. He seems to be carrying the captaincy well and seems confident.

SlimPickens
10-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Grant has been a little down over the last couple of weeks, he really needs to take the chance and kick the goal. One example was when he turned K Hunt inside out only to rocket a handball to Cooney (who put it out on the full). It was a pretty straight forward snap from 35m at the coventry end and should have drilled it.

Boyd was very good as was Murphy, love seeing Murph behind the ball. Geez he used it well yesterday.

Crossy the stop and prop killed me yesterday, thought he played well but the amount of times he doesn't take the best option frustrates the hell out of me.

Not sure if I'm the only one, but I'm worried about Huddo in the centre of the ground, we were beaten in clearances yesterday. Huddo's strength is his ability to nullify the opposition ruckman, thought he was poor at this yesterday once again. Still love the way he flies the flag and getting forward to kick a goal was very good.

comrade
10-04-2011, 11:55 AM

I can't stand comments like this. How can you validate that comment?

Hotdog60
10-04-2011, 12:01 PM
It maybe just match fitness but Cooney seems a bit off tempo. Could the strapped knee be causing him some trouble?

bornadog
10-04-2011, 12:03 PM
So what?

OK Mr Negative 70 points is not enough.

I will admit it wasn't a great game to watch, but hey what did you expect 20 goal thrashing. Sorry, that aint gunna happen to GC every week.

Happy Days
10-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Wasn't an impressive win by any means, but really, this was a hiding to nothing, in that if we win by 200 "it's just the Gold Coast", and vice versa. Not a whole lot of good can come from playing this team except a percentage boost (which I'm pretty sure a 70 point win gives you).

For those saying Hall was bad today (can't be bothered going back to find the post/s to quote it/them), he could have had 8 if he really felt like it yesterday.

Grantysghost
10-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Not sure if I'm the only one, but I'm worried about Huddo in the centre of the ground, we were beaten in clearances yesterday. Huddo's strength is his ability to nullify the opposition ruckman, thought he was poor at this yesterday once again. Still love the way he flies the flag and getting forward to kick a goal was very good.

Not your not the only one, i was thinking that at the game yesterday. He seemed to lose most of the taps i focused on, but he was our leading or close to it clearance player so its a tough one. No beard power maybe?!

SonofScray
10-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Not your not the only one, i was thinking that at the game yesterday. He seemed to lose most of the taps i focused on, but he was our leading or close to it clearance player so its a tough one. No beard power maybe?!

Do we give Minson / Roughie a go as the ruck combo? With the amount of slow, one paced ball winners in our midfield, perhaps a ruckman who is a great scrapper in tight is surplus to our needs. Minson offers more up forward and tends to be pretty good with his tap work, giving the big belt forward every now and then to create space.

bornadog
10-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Do we give Minson / Roughie a go as the ruck combo? With the amount of slow, one paced ball winners in our midfield, perhaps a ruckman who is a great scrapper in tight is surplus to our needs. Minson offers more up forward and tends to be pretty good with his tap work, giving the big belt forward every now and then to create space.

I thought Hudson played pretty well yesterday winning the majority of hitouts and his general play around the ground was also good. I guess against Freo and Collingwood we need to pick our best ruck combination.

Dry Rot
10-04-2011, 01:46 PM
OK Mr Negative 70 points is not enough.

I will admit it wasn't a great game to watch, but hey what did you expect 20 goal thrashing. Sorry, that aint gunna happen to GC every week.

The points difference isn't the point. You thought we played well?

SonofScray
10-04-2011, 01:52 PM
I thought Hudson played pretty well yesterday winning the majority of hitouts and his general play around the ground was also good. I guess against Freo and Collingwood we need to pick our best ruck combination.

Yeah I don't think he was bad, not at all. I'm not convinced the question is form though in this instance, Huddo is a warrior and gives us what he has got every week. Just thinking that maybe what he has got isn't what the team needs right now, given our midfield mix and the sub rule etc.

Hudson certainly deserves his spot, took plenty of gabs and was useful around the ground.

Dry Rot
10-04-2011, 01:54 PM

You do realise that what I said is based on what I saw of the three teams yesterday?

The four quarter intensity and tackling of the two teams out west vs our poor intensity, poor tackling NB forward defensive pressure, poor clearance work etc?

IMO, we are playing ATM like a showreel of our poorest efforts over the last few years and I don't why. We can play much much better but if we don't, then IMO my comment stands.

comrade
10-04-2011, 03:37 PM
You do realise that what I said is based on what I saw of the three teams yesterday?

The four quarter intensity and tackling of the two teams out west vs our poor intensity, poor tackling NB forward defensive pressure, poor clearance work etc?

IMO, we are playing ATM like a showreel of our poorest efforts over the last few years and I don't why. We can play much much better but if we don't, then IMO my comment stands.

Games take on an ebb and flow of their own. Comparing one to another and making sweeping statements never makes sense.

Adelaide beat Hawthorn, Hawthorn beat Melbourne, Melbourne drew with Sydney (your yardstick of excellence) yet is getting beaten by Brisbane at half time.

We haven't been at our best yet, but we're currently 2 and 1 with a healthy percentage. Premierships aren't won in April and if I had to choose, I'd rather be firing on all cylinders in September.

LostDoggy
10-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Boyd is playing a good captains role, I hope this grows. I was very happy to see gilbee and lake back.
Minson needs a run as 1st ruck, deserves one.
Quite a boring game really, we dominated without really getting out of second gear. We need to beat freo who had a great win in Adelaide.

bornadog
10-04-2011, 05:06 PM
The points difference isn't the point. You thought we played well?

I don't care how we played, we won by 70 points, and yes the points do matter.

OLD SCRAGGer
10-04-2011, 05:09 PM

TOTALLY agree. I can't stand people who ALWAYS bag the team :mad:

LostDoggy
10-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Just how hard is Ward? He just keeps getting up after getting smashed. Good skills too, he would be the first name on my team sheet each week.

comrade
10-04-2011, 05:17 PM
TOTALLY agree. I can't stand people who ALWAYS bag the team :mad:

I don't have an issue with someone questioning the players/coach/game style etc if it is logically supported.

Making sweeping statements without any justification annoys me.

Maddog37
10-04-2011, 06:04 PM
We were just ok today. Gold coast were much improved on last week. No injuries. Good percentage boost.

Williams getting better every week. Marko, hill, ruffy and libber all good again.

LostDoggy
10-04-2011, 06:51 PM

Yes, I would like to see how Minson and Roughie would team up together, and I see that Huddo hurt his ankle yesterday. However, given we have a week off, he may come up okay. I thought Huddo did acquitted himself reasonably well, but I saw the ankle injury happen, and he must have had it strapped or needled because he came back on later.

Dry Rot
10-04-2011, 07:50 PM
I don't have an issue with someone questioning the players/coach/game style etc if it is logically supported.

Making sweeping statements without any justification annoys me.

Well, I gave you some reasons

But what do you think of our play/form over the first three matches?

1. Do you think the majority of the individual players are playing well?

2. Do you think they are playing well as a team?

3. Do you think we look like having overcome some our much discussed problems like a lack of defensive pressure in our forward line?

4. Is our midfield looking better or worse re clearances and tackling, accountability?

5. If we play like we have in the last 3 weeks, what are our prospects in the next 3 games?

comrade
10-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Well, I gave you some reasons

But what do you think of our play/form over the first three matches?

1. Do you think the majority of the individual players are playing well?

2. Do you think they are playing well as a team?

3. Do you think we look like having overcome some our much discussed problems like a lack of defensive pressure in our forward line?

4. Is our midfield looking better or worse re clearances and tackling, accountability?

5. If we play like we have in the last 3 weeks, what are our prospects in the next 3 games?

1. Individually I think most of our players are going OK, especially considering we have plenty of kids taking on important roles. Not great, but no worse than Sydney or West Coast. I'm happy for you to go through the players individually and critique them if you think I'm way off.

2. I don't think we're particularly cohesive at this point, but given Brisbane have been competitive in both games not involving us, our ability to cut down scoring should be looked at more positively. Again, if we haven't nailed the game plan by mid year, I'll press the panic button.

3. I thought our defensive press has been ok in our two wins. The ball has been kept in, particularly against GC. I wouldn't mind seeing how much time the ball spent in our forward half but I'm guessing it would be significant. Our forward line is one paced which will be a concern against the better teams but in the last two weeks, our pressure has been better than the majority of games last year - but it can definitely improve.

4. Our midfield accountability at the stoppage is probably our biggest weakness at this point. Boyd, Cooney, Griffen just aren't great defensively. I can accept Cooney and Griffen rolling the dice as they are so dangerous going forward, but Boyd is the one that bothers me. Apparently he was tagging Ablett in the second half, but I couldn't see it. If we're going to persist with Boyd, Cross and Libba in the same midfield, Boyd must start tagging. Our tackling has been OK - the desire and intent has been apparent, if not the execution. It's our blocking and inability to stop the opposition clearance which is a concern. We're a very good clearance side at our best, and that should only improve with Libba stepping up so hopefully we can get on top of it as the season rolls on.

5. If we lock the ball in our forward half for the majority of the game like we did yesterday and don't give away free kicks (GC kicked 4 of 7 goals from frees), we'll win. Our coaching group needs to get the midfield/stoppage set ups right, or we will be torched.

Our form line is trending ok, we're getting games in to a heap of kids and nothing I have seen suggests West Coast would beat us. Sydney look like they're going to be pushing top 6 so you would expect an arm wrestle with them anyway.

You're a pessimistic kind of supporter which is fine. Your initial post made no justification for a sweeping statement that 'West Coast and Sydney would beat us'.

Dry Rot
10-04-2011, 08:36 PM
You're a pessimistic kind of supporter which is fine. Your initial post made no justification for a sweeping statement that 'West Coast and Sydney would beat us'.

Thanks for the considered reply. I also presume you have seen the games live, unlike me. You also make some good points re playing youngsters.

There may also be some things we don't know eg a particular conditioning program or some players might be carrying injuries already.

While I agree to disagree how we view where we are, I hope you are right and we bag at least 2 out of the next three games. But if I'm right and things don't change, then IMO we'll have an ordinary year. My pessimism has been correct for the last few years.

GVGjr
10-04-2011, 09:13 PM
My pessimism has been correct for the last few years.

3 consecutive years of top 4 finishes is actually a very good result. You just right us off too early every year.

w3design
10-04-2011, 09:16 PM
I am interested in whether posters think there is a 'new' game plan. Not a sarcastic question, genuinely interested whether we see notable differences in our setup.

I attended a supporters' breakfast, addressed by Rocket, after the Essendon game. Cooney was there. He (Adam) commented that this year they have very specific positions in which they are meant to be at clearances. He specifically cited this as something different this year. Are any differences apparent? TBH, I think our clearance work yesterday was really disappointing. Is this possibly getting used to a very different style?

LostDoggy
10-04-2011, 09:23 PM
3 consecutive years of top 4 finishes is actually a very good result. You just right us off too early every year.

We were in trouble last year with illness and injury at the pointy end of the season, the year before we really should have won the prelim. I like the fact that a lot of young guys are getting a run early on and most are acquitting themselves very well, I am hoping we are building our team and timing our run this time, the next few games are going to tell us a lot. No need to write off the team at this early stage.

Dry Rot
10-04-2011, 09:29 PM

Not good enough though.

I suppose I reckon I see some structural stuff which means we may just get close but not good enough eg lack of a power forward pre Hall. This year we seem to have made little progress with our forward line defensive pressure and we look very slow.

Speaking of Hall, I was positive at the start of last season. :)

LostDoggy
10-04-2011, 09:29 PM
In reality we are in a similar position as Geelong , established players being integrated with young players, a gameplan remodeled to accommodate the Sub rule , both Clubs didn't finish last year at the level or standard they/ we expected .

For us, we are like it or not, in a period of transition which will take some time to equalise . We no longer have a 22 which picks its self, our depth of talent now means that a side must be picked on form not what your output was in the past , some of our experienced players are under pressure to justify their inclusion . We must persist with rotations based on form as this will make the side even stronger come the finals. Our backline looks stable now but our midfield and forward line will take some time . Its up to each player now , do you want to work hard for your place on the field or don't you ?

GVGjr
10-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Not good enough though.

I suppose I reckon I see some structural stuff which means we may just get close but not good enough eg lack of a power forward pre Hall. This year we seem to have made little progress with our forward line defensive pressure and we look very slow.

Speaking of Hall, I was positive at the start of last season. :)

Obviously we fell short of the ideal ending but you're often implying that we are just an average side (with the references this year to the Swans etc) and that just isn't the case.

The next 6 weeks will possible tell the story if we are on track to make the top 4 again.

Ghost Dog
10-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Just how hard is Ward? He just keeps getting up after getting smashed. Good skills too, he would be the first name on my team sheet each week.

Lucky not to have serious damage. Must be all those follicles that cushion the blow - a veritable hair helmet!

The leadership at the Suns will be very dissapointed, but not like they didn't know what they were getting.
A petulant dummy spitter with pointy elbows. I mean, when was the last time we saw him do anything vaguely related to
handling the ball?

bornadog
10-04-2011, 10:16 PM
In reality we are in a similar position as Geelong , established players being integrated with young players, a gameplan remodeled to accommodate the Sub rule , both Clubs didn't finish last year at the level or standard they/ we expected .

For us, we are like it or not, in a period of transition which will take some time to equalise . We no longer have a 22 which picks its self, our depth of talent now means that a side must be picked on form not what your output was in the past , some of our experienced players are under pressure to justify their inclusion . We must persist with rotations based on form as this will make the side even stronger come the finals. Our backline looks stable now but our midfield and forward line will take some time . Its up to each player now , do you want to work hard for your place on the field or don't you ?

This year must be the first time I can remember we have genuine depth with our players. I have been following the dogs for a long time and was a teenager in the 70s and cannot remember one era we had such depth.

Mantis
10-04-2011, 10:17 PM

Why?

Besides adding Libba & Sherman to the rotations how has our midfield changed?

Dry Rot
10-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Obviously we fell short of the ideal ending but you're often implying that we are just an average side (with the references this year to the Swans etc) and that just isn't the case.

The next 6 weeks will possible tell the story if we are on track to make the top 4 again.

The reference to the Swans and us was explicitly how the respective sides played this weekend, FWIW.

GVGjr
10-04-2011, 11:14 PM
The reference to the Swans and us was explicitly how the respective sides played this weekend, FWIW.

Just about every year you write us off early in the season as an average side and I think you are calling this too early.

chef
11-04-2011, 08:31 AM

Hard to compare the two sides when we played completely different opposition.

LostDoggy
11-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Dogs by 71 points
BOG - Higgins
First Goal - Hall

Tick