PDA

View Full Version : Round 3 Discussion

G-Mo77
08-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Collingwood actually looked under the pump for quite a while. Carlton seemed to relax a little in the 2nd and find themselves in a 4 goal hole at half time.

Let's discuss Round 3. :)

comrade
08-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Collingwood's ability to go to another level after a tense period is the hallmark of a champion side. They mentioned on the telecast that Brisbane also had this ability. So did Geelong.

I've been reasonably impressed with Carlton though. They've looked dangerous when kicking long and deep on the rebound. From a Bulldogs perspective, throwing Brian forward will definitely need to be looked at to try and stretch their defence.

Having Markovic as a genuine key defensive cover might be handy.

The Coon Dog
08-04-2011, 10:53 PM
Gee its hard to tell the difference between the 2 teams, particularly the socks. What's the use in having a policy to avoid such clashes if its not going to be enforced?

GVGjr
08-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Gee its hard to tell the difference between the 2 teams, particularly the socks. What's the use in having a policy to avoid such clashes if its not going to be enforced?

The stronger clubs tell them to get stuffed and the AFL back down and won't enforce anything. We do what we are asked.

LostDoggy
08-04-2011, 11:01 PM

You're right. Collingwood change to black backs just to get one over port should never been allowed.

LostDoggy
08-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Same old Carlton for me. Poor defense, rucks iffy. Like Yarran and Garrlett but Betts is horrible

The Coon Dog
08-04-2011, 11:31 PM
Same old Carlton for me. Poor defense, rucks iffy. Like Yarran and Garrlett but Betts is horrible

He hits the ball at speed, doesn't he?

The Pie Man
08-04-2011, 11:54 PM
You're right. Collingwood change to black backs just to get one over port should never been allowed.

Or at least revert to their old (clash) strip against Carlton

Remi Moses
09-04-2011, 12:17 AM
Oh FFS why in he'll is it a problem for these teams to wear a bloody clash strip!
If it's bloody good enough for iconic sporting teams to wear a clash strip why in hell isn't it okay for bloody domestic Footy teams. Suppose we'll get the usual Dogs bollox about tradition and constitutions. Players don't perform any differently with a clash strip on,and it's utter tripe that it wasn't a problem previously as the game is hundred miles an hour quicker and has 30 players around the contest.

Afl stop Being s*** frightened of the big boys!!

bornadog
09-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Oh FFS why in he'll is it a problem for these teams to wear a bloody clash strip!
If it's bloody good enough for iconic sporting teams to wear a clash strip why in hell isn't it okay for bloody domestic Footy teams. Suppose we'll get the usual Dogs bollox about tradition and constitutions. Players don't perform any differently with a clash strip on,and it's utter tripe that it wasn't a problem previously as the game is hundred miles an hour quicker and has 30 players around the contest.

Afl stop Being s*** frightened of the big boys!!

For over a hundred years we had clubs wearing white shorts and black shorts now its an issue. Why can't we all wear our tradditional colours?

Dry Rot
09-04-2011, 10:13 PM
WCE v Swans: anyone just see that goal from Jetta? Goal of the Year IMO. Amazing.

chef
09-04-2011, 10:32 PM
For over a hundred years we had clubs wearing white shorts and black shorts now its an issue. Why can't we all wear our tradditional colours?

Because it's crap to watch the game when you cant make out which team is which.

Remi Moses
09-04-2011, 11:08 PM

It's an issue because the game has 30 players around the ball and is frantic where as previously it was one on one and a lot slower.
Teams have changed their colors back panels constantly (even Collingwood Richmond and Hawthorn)

Remi Moses
09-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Observations from Round 3
Collingwood played Carlton like a cat plays with a ball of wool.
Richmond being outclassed by a team on form is Collingwood's only challenger(early days)
Sydney and West Coast playing their usual ball up stoppage slogothon
Sydney look a key defender short with Everitt playing key back (ouch!)loss of Bolton is going to hurt.
Adelaide is the big surprise throughly outplayed by Freo( just puts into perspective that you take notice of Round 1)

bornadog
10-04-2011, 12:05 AM
Because it's crap to watch the game when you cant make out which team is which.

It's an issue because the game has 30 players around the ball and is frantic where as previously it was one on one and a lot slower.
Teams have changed their colors back panels constantly (even Collingwood Richmond and Hawthorn)

Wasn't a problem when everyone wore their traditional colours, instead of black backs etc. No problems in the 70's and 80's or even the 90's.

AndrewP6
10-04-2011, 12:08 AM
Swans pinched it from the Weagles... Dr Dre kicking the winning goal.

comrade
10-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Observations from Round 3
Collingwood played Carlton like a cat plays with a ball of wool.
Richmond being outclassed by a team on form is Collingwood's only challenger(early days)
Sydney and West Coast playing their usual ball up stoppage slogothon
Sydney look a key defender short with Everitt playing key back (ouch!)loss of Bolton is going to hurt.
Adelaide is the big surprise throughly outplayed by Freo( just puts into perspective that you take notice of Round 1)

Is this the same Hawks team that lost to Adelaide and were almost 5 goals down against Melbourne before they fell in a heap?

Dry Rot
10-04-2011, 01:17 AM
Swans pinched it from the Weagles... Dr Dre kicking the winning goal.

Did you watch it? Cracking game.

Both sides would have easily have beaten the first three weeks Dogs this year.

AndrewP6
10-04-2011, 01:43 AM

Watched bits and pieces, including the last 5 mins.

chef
10-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Wasn't a problem when everyone wore their traditional colours, instead of black backs etc. No problems in the 70's and 80's or even the 90's.

I disagree, it's always been a problem.

chef
10-04-2011, 10:12 AM

No they wouldn't have.

KT31
10-04-2011, 11:10 AM

Bulldogs and Demons were pretty hard to spot the difference in the 80's.

bornadog
10-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Bulldogs and Demons were pretty hard to spot the difference in the 80's.

I never had an issue with those jumpers as the shgorts were always a different colour.

Lets face it the whole jumper thing is a debacle with virtually every team opting for a white clash jumper, except for Essendon and Collingwood who have told the AFL to get nicked. No imagination at all.

immortalmike
10-04-2011, 02:42 PM

No they wouldn't have.

How the hell could either of you know that?

mjp
10-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Melbourne in real trouble against Brisbane.

If Brisbane win/get close will everyone start viewing our efforts last week in a different light?

The Underdog
10-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Not sure how many people have seen Dangerfield's goal against Freo from yesterday and the near identical poster but they were absolute gems. To outrun Hill like that and kick at distance running full pace after a 100m sprint looks a lot easier to do than it is.
Still surprised by how the Crows were following the bye.

bornadog
10-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Melbourne in real trouble against Brisbane.

If Brisbane win/get close will everyone start viewing our efforts last week in a different light?

Only 11 points in the end.

The Saints are the ones in trouble, after three rounds they may end up with just 2 points with the draw.

lemmon
10-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Anyone think Essendon could be a real threat or just in a good patch?

G-Mo77
10-04-2011, 07:41 PM

To early to call yet. I'm more inclined to lean towards good patch though. They're still pretty young and will find themselves hit the wall at some point during the season that is when the real test will take place. I think they're good enough to make the 8 though.

I hate Essendon but I'm not upset about seeing the Saints without a win after 3 rounds. :D

LostDoggy
10-04-2011, 09:01 PM

Collingwood aren't wearing their traditional tops of a white back with black stripes and black numbers.

Dry Rot
10-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Saints cooked?

GVGjr
10-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Saints cooked?

The off field distractions plus the injury to Hayes won't have helped them but the signs are there that they aren't at their best. Two close losses and a comprehensive one must be denting their pride.

LostDoggy
10-04-2011, 09:29 PM
How the hell could either of you know that?

One of them has to be right...

Topdog
10-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Saints are gone. Many of us on here have said that when they fall away they will do so quickly. Will be very surprised to see them in the 8 come the end of the season.

Greystache
10-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Saints cooked?

I was there tonight, Saints are a non-threat to the top sides. Completely dependent on a few players, lost their primary ball winner, now their spud role players like Ray, Clarke, Peake etc are being exposed. Their intensity is also well down, I think the belief has faded.

mjp
10-04-2011, 10:21 PM
I was there tonight, Saints are a non-threat to the top sides.

You might well be right, but they got closer to Essendon than we did!

It will take a few weeks for the Hayes void to be filled, but between Armitage and Steven they might be able to do it. Add in a Cripps and Winmar as running defenders...there is still hope for the Saints.

It is only the 10th of April...I know they are still winless, but they still have time to turn it around.

I called their demise 12-months ago and wont be quite so premature this time...they get a week of to reset, then play the Lions (sound familiar) - in two weeks time we could be singing a different tune.

Greystache
10-04-2011, 10:39 PM
You might well be right, but they got closer to Essendon than we did!

It will take a few weeks for the Hayes void to be filled, but between Armitage and Steven they might be able to do it. Add in a Cripps and Winmar as running defenders...there is still hope for the Saints.

It is only the 10th of April...I know they are still winless, but they still have time to turn it around.

I called their demise 12-months ago and wont be quite so premature this time...they get a week of to reset, then play the Lions (sound familiar) - in two weeks time we could be singing a different tune.

I didn't say we were a top side.

To me the grind of their game style seems to have worn them down, some of their players don't seem as intense this year. Overall they look a tiring side.

Remi Moses
10-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Look a broken hearted team the Saints.
No tears from this little black duck
Tony Shaw thinks The Dons can win the flag(bookmark that call)
Capt Diver looks frustrated, I'm sure the girl will be blamed for their fall!!:eek:
Melbourne even at this early stage still look short of becoming a top 8 team,lucky today I thought. Brisbane were 100 times better than last week

KT31
11-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Saints - Hayes = Lack of Engine room.

anfo27
11-04-2011, 01:07 AM

They're still going through the honeymoon period so its a bit early to call. I like what I've seen so far (or should i say I don't like what I see as I hate the dons) and they have a more balanced look about them. I think they will make the 8 but don't see them as a premiership threat cause they still lack a few class acts.

Next week is a big test as I've liked what I've seen from Carlton and think they will finish higher than last year, top 6 maybe top 4.

immortalmike
11-04-2011, 02:34 AM
One of them has to be right...

Just don't like how certain they were...

LostDoggy
11-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Port Adelaide looked flat and more than a little disorganised against Geelong , they have got some talent in their side , on the form so far may well struggle to make the 8 and if they did make the 8 , injuries would decide how soon they slide down again.

Geelong have that look about them, a side in transition with some younger players being integrated , a remodel of their ball movement and lateral zones to accommodate the Sub rule, you just get that feeling that your looking at a 1000 ton freight train thats had a full service and the engineers are doing tests to see when it can be certified as fully ready