PDA

View Full Version : Round #3 - Slaps and Sledges

GVGjr
09-04-2011, 09:16 AM
For those who aren't familiar with the Slaps and Sledges thread:

A slap on the back for a job well done by 2 players. (not to be confused with the Woof Player Awards (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9023))
This can be a passage of player or a spirited effort.

A sledge to two players that let down the team. Try and make this constructive critique and not just overly critical.For those who aren't familiar with the Slaps and Sledges thread:

A slap on the back for a job well done by 2 players. (not to be confused with the Woof Player Awards (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9023))
This can be a passage of player or a spirited effort.

A sledge to two players that let down the team. Try and make this a constructive critique and not just overly critical.

The Coon Dog
09-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Slap - Josh Hill - really ran hard up & down the ground.
Slap - Lukas Markovic - surprised how well he's slotted in down back.

Sledge - Shaun Higgins - missed set shots today you just expect him to nail.
Sledge - The number of times we kicked the ball out on the full. Just seemed it was a bit more than usual.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Slap - Gilbee looked good today. Disposal was as good as it's been for a while.
Slap - Roughead's contested marking. 4 by memory. Great to see.

----------------------

Sledge - Gia was horrible with his turnovers.
Sledge - Grant got beat by KMH.

Remi Moses
09-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Slaps- Barry Hall he was great today
Slaps - Markovic very solid better kick than I thought
Slaps- Hill good again I thought
Slaps - Griffen becoming elite

Sledge- Campbell Brown Is that toughness? Cowards effort, like father like son!
Sledge - Etihad officials you only have to have an I phone with a weather app to see it was going to chuck it down and yet the roof was open :eek:
Sledge- all round sloppiness in the disposal dept
Overall beating this mob can be a false economy but I'd take a 12 goal win every day if the week

AndrewP6
09-04-2011, 08:33 PM
SLAPS:

Bazza! Joins an elite group with 700 career goals. Not only that, but dished off to players, showing his selfless side.

Roughy - took some great grabs, future is promising.

SLEDGES:

Higgins: Should be better at converting. Spoils some great work, IMO.
Slow start again - we'll get killed against the good sides doing that.

Oh, and a HUGE non-football sledge to Metro. Even with "football specials' running, it took nearly two hours to get home (Hallam).

Ghost Dog
09-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Slap - Our Backs. Dale Morris. Just seems to make good decisions all the time and mentally, physically, an outstanding, consistent player.
Bob murphy - brilliant, great run down the wing to pass to Josh for a goal. Confidence and poise. When the ball is in his hands, never worry about the next disposal. Bends the footy to his will.

Sledge - Shaun Higgin's goal kicking. Has to nail those. HAS to. Stay on your feet! Beaten by Harbrow argh!
did some good things but looked lethargic. Back yourself mate and fire up. We need you to slot those easy ones

Cross - diving on the back of a player in their square is just insane. You know the rules. Otherwise some good things but disposal and turnovers...get the simple things right. His kicking action looks great. Maybe it's a confidence thing.

SlimPickens
09-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Sledge - Etihad officials you only have to have an I phone with a weather app to see it was going to chuck it down and yet the roof was open :eek:

The AFL decide on the roof status, feel free to blame them as Etihad have no say in the situation.

LostDoggy
09-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Sledge - The umpiring. In the first qtr. especially, it looked like the AFL told the umpires to be bias towards GC to keep them in the contest

SlimPickens
09-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Slap- Murphy pure class today
Slap- Markovic loving his work at the moment

Sledge- Higgins- 1 min to do up his boot only to miss from directly in front. Poor conversion probably the difference in a 70 pt win and a 92 pt win which i had in the game day thread.

Sledge- C Brown, very vocal about Lloyds snipe against Hawthorn. What Campbell did today was ten times worse, absolutely disgusting. Hope he get 8+ weeks for his acts today.

GVGjr
09-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Slap - Josh Hills goal on the run.
Slap - Boyd touching the footy so Gorringe's grab wasn't a mark.

Sledge - Gia and Higgin's missed shots.
Sledge - Josh Hill dropping a sitter.

LostDoggy
09-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Slap - Murphy, never worry too much when the ball is in his hands, as he usually disposes of it beautifully.

Slap - Libba pass to Bazz - finally someone didn't kick it to his feet, too far over his head, etc.!

Sledge - Higgins - you need to nail them!

Greystache
09-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Slap- Roughead, best AFL game so far.
Slap- Cross, slow start to the season but was really good today.

Sledge- general lack of intensity, particularly the second half.

KT31
09-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Slaps

Bazza - 700 goals, legen...... wait for it.......dary !!
Lake - welcome back.
Again - the back line Markovic, Hill, Morris and Williams. (hope they can stand up against the big sides.
Wards attack on the ball

Sledge.

Higgins - intencity and goal kicking well below par.
Malcolm Blights commentry - biased and below par.

Hotdog60
09-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Slap- Josh Hill run and goal.
Slap-Ward, looked better today and thank god he has a hard head.

Sledge- MC. if Gia had gastro they should have gave Wallis a run.

KT31
09-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Slap- Josh Hill run and goal.
Slap-Ward, looked better today and thank god he has a hard head.

Sledge- MC. if Gia had gastro they should have gave Wallis a run.

What is the record for head high knocks in consecutive rounds ?
Ward must be close.

G-Mo77
09-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Slap - Bob Murphy. He's like a fine wine.

Slap - The backline. It's just starting to look a little more balanced now with Lake back. Worked pretty hard today as the ball was in their quite a lot surprisingly.

Slap - Roughead. We've got the better one.

Sledge - Campbell Brown. Gutless sniper. I wish we could have wound back the clock 20 years when he tried to take out Barry Hall. I would have loved to have seen Brown carried off after Hall clocked him.

Sledge - Ball use was pretty more for most of the game.

Sledge - Everyone in the media talking up Gary Abblett's game. Sorry didn't see much in it. :rolleyes:

always right
09-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Slaps:

Murphy...when he has the ball something good generally happens
Josh Hill looking good...again

Sledges:

Cooney either looks disinterested or is under a fitnes cloud. Just isn't giving enough.

bornadog
10-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Cooney either looks disinterested or is under a fitnes cloud. Just isn't giving enough.

Something wrong there, I thought he played a very ordinary game.

G-Mo77
10-04-2011, 12:38 AM
Something wrong there, I thought he played a very ordinary game.

Maybe there is nothing wrong sometimes I think he just doesn't have that killer instinct. He seems to coast too much for my likings.

Flamethrower
10-04-2011, 12:52 AM

OH&S regulations now prevent the roof being closed once the stadium is open to the general public. In the past the roof could be closed at half time, but this is no longer allowed. The AFL made the judgement that it would be better to keep the roof open for spectator comfort - the place gets like a sauna with the roof shut on hot, humid days and take the punt that the rain would only arrive late in the game. They got it spot on.

Slap - Barrh Hall. 700 goals is a great achievement - even if it seems most came against us.

Slap - Lindsay Gilbee's long left foot passes. A pleasure to watch.

Sledge - Sniper Brown - No place for cowardly acts like this in modern day sport, the umpires for losing complete control of the game after Cal was king hit, and the AFL for not having a send off rule.

LostDoggy
10-04-2011, 01:17 AM
Slap- For the MC having Lake, Williams and Markovic in the backline ( more like a slap and two thumbs up )

Slap- To young Roughead, he keeps raising the bar , the big Minnow will be hard pressed to find the right form to replace him

Sledge- For the MC not replacing Stack with Wallis, perfect game to bring him in

Sledge- For the team losing the tackle count and clearances, not good enough

BulldogBelle
10-04-2011, 01:35 AM
Slap to Roughead for his best game for us - seemed more comfortable out there today
Slap to Marko for another good performance, could be very handy allowing us to 'Welease Bwian'

Don't really like the idea of sledging our players ......

and don't like to speak ill of Darce but he can have have a sledge for praising Brown's 'tough' play :rolleyes:

And of course a sledge to Brown :)

azabob
10-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Slap: Hall for not overreacting when Brown collected him front on.
Slap : Team running goal. Chain of handball's starting at half back and Josh Hill finishing it off with a long goal.

Sledge: J Grant needs to start holding and taking more marks.

choconmientay
10-04-2011, 11:00 AM
slap: Hill, he seems to play with some aggression and attitude (a big step forward in his development) and the running goal is .... gold.

slap: Higgins, for the hard work. (he got beaten by Harbrow in the 4th quarter but keep running into free space and received an easy mark in the forward 50)

sledge: Higgins for all the missed set-shots. You got to nail them mate. Easily BOG if converted all those shoots.

sledge: Umpires. Not consistent enough.

Ghost Dog
10-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Slap: Hall for not overreacting when Brown collected him front on.
Slap : Team running goal. Chain of handball's starting at half back and Josh Hill finishing it off with a long goal.

Sledge: J Grant needs to start holding and taking more marks.

Good call

LostDoggy
10-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Slap: Bazza bringing up the 700..brilliant effort..gets scrutinized way too much, never glorified in how good he is and the fact that he is the competitions leading goalkicker in history slotting into 20th all-time. Great achievement Baz.
Slap: We've missed you Brian, glad to have you back.

Sledge: I have a man-crush on how you go about it Missy Higgins but your set shots were very disappointing.
Sledge: Campbell Brown you dirty little thug. 4-6 Weeks minimum thanks MRP, your a disgraceful leader and role model to those kids in your team. No wonder why your not Captain..go through the 17 captains and not one can you label a Thug.

Mofra
10-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Slaps:
- Murphy getting back to his best
- Higgins' workrate - 9 tackles leading the way
- Markovic & Williams providing some rebound

Sledges:
- Slow start again. Can someone buy the boys a coffee maker?
- Gia's decision to play despite the gastro. He should have rested up and given Wallis a debut.

LostDoggy
10-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Slap Lake - immediate signs of the balance that he brings to the defence, great touch for a first game back
Slap Hill - haven't been a great fan in the past, exciting but an apparent lack of application, turned it around and looks like he really wants his place and understands he needs to perform to win it and maintain it.

Sledge Brown - a thug like his dad
Sledge Grant's game - looked like he lacked convictionin the contest

AndrewP6
10-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Slaps:

- Higgins' workrate - 9 tackles leading the way

Sledges:

AFL Match Day stats have him as 3 tackles.

mjp
10-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Slap - Daniel Cross - wonderful, diving smother of GAJ in the second quarter.

the banker
10-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Slap Bazza congratulations on 700 and bringing great team attitude.
Slap Lake, Morris, Murphy & Williams + Markovic & Picken Solid, disciplined and dynamic.
Slap. Helping GC with Banner.

EasternWest
10-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Slap. Helping GC with Banner.

Agreed. It really doesn't mean much, but there was something very human about it

Slap slap.

ratsmac
10-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Slap - Cross, Ward and Picken for continuing to put their head over the ball.

Slap - Higgins for his work ethic. Last year we questioned this so much. Obviously his illness' were hindering alot more than people relise.

Sledge - Grant has to impose himself into the game more.

Sledge - Cooney looks lazy compared to what we know he can bring.

Sledge - Campbell Brown for a cheap shot, doesn't need to do it. Everyone knows he plays the game hard and he can do it well. Should cop a month at least. I would be disappointed to see a bulldog player do that behind the play shite.

The Pie Man
10-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Slap - Roughead's continued emergence, will be very important
Slap - Etihad staff member that let my wife & I sit in the reserved seat section for free

Sledge - Campbell Brown, his appearance on Ch 7 this morning made it worse..throw the book at him please
Sledge - Was a little embarrassed when I saw Hudson had decided to move The People's Beard TM on, I quickly turned my scarfe over to the WOOF side

w3design
10-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Slap: Higgins. I thought he worked really hard. I'd prefer to see him work hard & finish with 1 goal than get a few cheapies. I watched his work rate closely and was really impressed, deserved to slot the easy ones he missed.

Slap: Murph. Seemed to be playing a different game to the sloppy, error-ridden one goin on round him.

Slap: Brian. So very important to us.

Sledges: Gia, hill missing from those spots was inexcusable. Again, I shudder at the idea of the ball in gia's hands from those spots if we are a kick down in a GF, 30 seconds to go. I know he had concussion/gastro, so ordinarily he could be excused, but gee, he has missed too many of those in his career.

Sledge: Cooney was..I'm afraid 'lazy' comes to mind. Looked disinterested. Not good enough for such an important player.

KT31
11-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Slap: Higgins. I thought he worked really hard. I'd prefer to see him work hard & finish with 1 goal than get a few cheapies. I watched his work rate closely and was really impressed, deserved to slot the easy ones he missed.

Slap: Murph. Seemed to be playing a different game to the sloppy, error-ridden one goin on round him.

Slap: Brian. So very important to us.

Sledges: Gia, hill missing from those spots was inexcusable. Again, I shudder at the idea of the ball in gia's hands from those spots if we are a kick down in a GF, 30 seconds to go. I know he had concussion/gastro, so ordinarily he could be excused, but gee, he has missed too many of those in his career.

Sledge: Cooney was..I'm afraid 'lazy' comes to mind. Looked disinterested. Not good enough for such an important player.

Higgins missed a lot more , yet you gave him a Slap.

Remi Moses
11-04-2011, 04:46 AM
Sledge - The umpiring. In the first qtr. especially, it looked like the AFL told the umpires to be bias towards GC to keep them in the contest

Thought the same thing. Gathered they envoked the sympathy rule

Chicago1
11-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Slaps
- Crossy. Prayed that his shot at goal would go in, but, alas, it wasn't to be. My favourite player. Had a nice goodbye chat at training on Friday.
- Lake - Magnificent job as usual.
- Bazza. Glad I saw his 700th goal.
It really was great to see the win for my last match in Melbourne.

LostDoggy
11-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Slap: Bazza 700 & still keeping aggression under control when poor delivery and a head high comes his way.

Slap: Gilbee, Good to see someone who can kick a ball, play. Does have some hard work to do though. & Lake back, He slotted straight back into where he left off (early on at least).

Sledge: Forward line delivery! enough said!
Sledge: Huddo shaving off the beard! This sort of thing didn't workout well for Sampson.
(I feel us as supporters should have had a say in this decision)