PDA

View Full Version : Your view of Tiller so far?

Dry Rot
09-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Thoughts? I thought he's done OK so far. Not poor, nor a McGuiness style of debut.

GVGjr
09-08-2007, 11:02 PM
He's a fair way off at the moment but has done a bit better than I thought he would. Not sure how he will develop but it would be good to see him get through a pre-season without breaking down. Needs to add a bit of weight and a lot of strength if he is to play as a 3rd tall forward. He's not quick so he needs to be able to hold his marks.

Raw Toast
10-08-2007, 10:43 AM
He's a fair way off at the moment but has done a bit better than I thought he would. Not sure how he will develop but it would be good to see him get through a pre-season without breaking down. Needs to add a bit of weight and a lot of strength if he is to play as a 3rd tall forward. He's not quick so he needs to be able to hold his marks.

Could he become a Tim Boyle like player for us - ie not an accumulator but take enough contested marks up forward to hold his place in the side.

bornadog
10-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Could he become a Tim Boyle like player for us - ie not an accumulator but take enough contested marks up forward to hold his place in the side.

Why not, thats a good idea. He is not tall enough to be a KPP, but he has shown a bit in his first two games. Last week he seemed to play outside of the 50mtr arc, more a CHF type of role whereas the week before he was closer to goal. We need him to hold those marks and present himself, as half forward flankers at 191 cm can be hard to match up for some clubs.

Go_Dogs
10-08-2007, 11:03 AM
His workrate has been pleasing though, even if his speed and strength isn't quite there yet. He continues to present, and due to his continuous work, he's been an option we've gone to on quite a few occasions. He's actually quite a bit ahead of where I had him at the moment, which is good. I think he has a future, and as GVGjr mentioned, and injury free pre-season is crucial to his future success. His time at the club has been pretty much completely hampered by injury bar this later part of the year.

Twodogs
10-08-2007, 11:29 AM

I've seen a fair bit of him and I dont think I remember him taking a contested mark. He's more the type of Bob Murphy type-good on the lead and he hits the ground running. He's a bit better overhead than Bobby and has an uncanny abilty to turn players inside out and run away from them. Drops a few 'easy' marks though after working hard and making space.

Bulldog Revolution
10-08-2007, 05:38 PM
I've seen a fair bit of him and I dont think I remember him taking a contested mark. He's more the type of Bob Murphy type-good on the lead and he hits the ground running. He's a bit better overhead than Bobby and has an uncanny abilty to turn players inside out and run away from them. Drops a few 'easy' marks though after working hard and making space.

interesting insight Twodogs,

I really hope that this opportunity will really spark his development that has been largely ruined by injury and seems to me curtailed by opportunity

His best bit of play has been the centring ball to Cooney in the second quarter last week. He isn't fit enough to run at an AFL level yet, but it would be hard to be given he hardly ever gets picked in the VFL seniors. He obviously also has a lot of strength work to do. They've talked up his leap at times, but we haven't really seen that in his two games yet.

dog town
10-08-2007, 08:30 PM
He will need to find atleast one thing that seperates him from a million other lead up players of his size. He has good pace for his size , presents to the ball nicely and has pretty good hands but doesn't seem outstanding in any area. To be a top level player (talking 150+ games) he will need to obviously improve in every area but I think he needs something to really hang his hat on. Hopefully he can develop a brilliant work ethic and really have a presence at ground level or maybe he can be a dead eye dick in front of goal but my experience with rangy types like him tells me he will need something to stand out from the crowd. In an ideal world you want him to bring all the facets of his game up to an elite level but obviously that is not always going to happen. Very early days for him. Needs plenty of time to develop.

GVGjr
10-08-2007, 10:20 PM
He will need to find atleast one thing that seperates him from a million other lead up players of his size. He has good pace for his size , presents to the ball nicely and has pretty good hands but doesn't seem outstanding in any area. To be a top level player (talking 150+ games) he will need to obviously improve in every area but I think he needs something to really hang his hat on. Hopefully he can develop a brilliant work ethic and really have a presence at ground level or maybe he can be a dead eye dick in front of goal but my experience with rangy types like him tells me he will need something to stand out from the crowd. In an ideal world you want him to bring all the facets of his game up to an elite level but obviously that is not always going to happen. Very early days for him. Needs plenty of time to develop.

To be honest I haven't seen enough positives in him at the moment to suggest that he has the talent to become a 150 game player. He would need to develop strengths in a few areas although of course the injuries have slowed his progress. If you consider him to say Hargarve who was also a reasonably slow developer well Hargrave had a lot more pace, a longer kick, more aggression and in my opinion he could read the game better. This is not to say Tiller can't develop skills required to become a regular senior footballer but as I originally I just can't see the couple of strengths he needs that will carry him into the senior team.

DOG GOD
11-08-2007, 07:46 PM
i might be way off the mark here but to me tiller seems like he would be a "jason Watts "type to me.

servicable, but nothing too exciting.

HOPE IM WRONG!!!

LostDoggy
11-08-2007, 11:59 PM
i might be way off the mark here but to me tiller seems like he would be a "jason Watts "type to me.

servicable, but nothing too exciting.

HOPE IM WRONG!!!
He showed a bit tonight but he is still a work in progress.

Go_Dogs
12-08-2007, 10:02 AM
His speed and ability below the knees was good. He was reasonable down back too. Impressive game by Tiller for mine.

DOG GOD
13-08-2007, 12:33 PM
yeah tiller did have good signs the other night. a bit of pace and good below the knees.

time will tell.

LostDoggy
13-08-2007, 11:19 PM
you say tiller is not tall enough to be a power forward but he is actually taller than brendan fevola, and someone also said that he is not quick , i heard rodney eade saying that he is exceptiaonally quick on the lead.

bornadog
13-08-2007, 11:48 PM
you say tiller is not tall enough to be a power forward but he is actually taller than brendan fevola, and someone also said that he is not quick , i heard rodney eade saying that he is exceptiaonally quick on the lead.

Actually they are both listed as 191cm, except Fev is 98kg and Tiller 87kg.

Go_Dogs
14-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Tiller potentially looks like he could add a lot of muscle to his frame too. I think he could almost potentially develop into a KP. Would take a lot of hard work though.

westdog54
14-08-2007, 02:12 PM
One passage of play that stood out for me against StKilda with Tiller was when he received a handball just inside 50 about 5 metres from the boundary line.

Whereas an inexperienced player's first instinct would be to wheel around and have a shot, he had the composure and presence of mind to spot up a target in a much better position than himself.

For mine he's shown more positives than negatives, and it will be interesting to see what a full pre-season and a summer in the gym will do for his development.

bornadog
14-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Tiller potentially looks like he could add a lot of muscle to his frame too. I think he could almost potentially develop into a KP. Would take a lot of hard work though.

He does seem to have a frame that will add a bit of bulk in the next few years.

4GIVME
23-08-2007, 10:48 PM
tiller in my eyes has been very impressive. he leads well and has a good set shot on him. not only that but he seems to work hard and his second and 3rd efforts are amazing.