PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Rule's Cheap Shot On EJ

Doc26
09-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Before Andrew Rule's article on Brendan Fevola in today's Herald Sun is sent to the trash bin I feel compelled to vent my anger and disgust, in a dedicated thread, at this supposed journalist for taking such a cheap shot at one of our legends, the late and great Ted (EJ) Whitten.

The cheap shot at EJ lies embedded in a couple of paragraphs on page 22 of Saturday's Herald Sun where Rule elects to assassinate EJ's character in some lame attempt to compare EJ to Brendan Fevola's situation.

My apologies for posting Rule's diatribe but feel it is appropriate to quote it below so that collectively we can express our anger and disappointment at Rule and the Herald Sun to allow such defamation directed at the great EJ to go to print. It's especially cheap by Rule because EJ of course is unable to defend himself to such accusations and is left to the Whitten family to wear and put up with the crap and innunedo that Rule most unfairly has put to paper. Shame on you Andrew Rule :mad::mad:

Here it goes:

Then there's Mr Football himself, the late Ted Whitten.

Football purists might hate comparing Fev with the great man. They should think again.

Ted was from the old working-class heartland of Footscray; Fev from the new working-class heartland, Narre Warren.

For both, football was a lifeline, though Fevola might still end up broke despite earning millions since being drafted by Carlton in 1998. (The punt will do that, as Demon gamblers David Schwarz and Daniel Ward have admitted after running up ruinous debts over their playing careers.)

Whitten once admitted that without football he would have been a factory hand. Good fortune didn't make him any kinder: he once smashed a 17-year-old Richmond rover's jaw, snarling "You're playing against men now" before the boy went to hospital.

Like Whitten, Fevola didn't give up nuclear physics to play footy, but at least he's not one to smash players half his size.

Like Whitten, he is a "lair", but his private life, despite the fling with Lara Bingle and his marriage split, is almost conventional compared with Whitten's bizarre domestic arrangements.

AndrewP6
09-04-2011, 09:13 PM
I was not angered by this, but rather confused.

What were EJ's 'bizarre domestic arrangements'?

Since when is Narre Warren 'working class heartland'?

And who in God's name is Andrew Rule?

AndrewP6
09-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Has a dig at Bazza too.

LostDoggy
09-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Just had a look at the article on line - this bloke (whoever he is?) is having a dig at anyone and everyone. Trashy writing as far as I am concerned. Why publish veiled cheap shots about EJ - IMO this is the problem with the media these days - its all about sensationalism, forget about fact, truth... Maybe there was truth in what he says, but I don't get these comparisons. If you feel the need to write about Fev, just write about him! These types of articles make me remember why I don't read much stuff in this newspaper! :(

always right
09-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Andrew Rule used to write for The Age specializing in Melbourne's underworld. He's an award winning journo and whilst I think his comments about EJ are out of line due the fact he can't respond, there is nothing wrong with the article. He simply makes the point that no matter how big a goose Fev is, he is judged more harshly than others from the past who have been guilty of much more serious misdemeanors. Hw lives in a different era where you can't avoid the scrutiny.

KT31
09-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Andrew Rule used to write for The Age specializing in Melbourne's underworld. He's an award winning journo and whilst I think his comments about EJ are out of line due the fact he can't respond, there is nothing wrong with the article. He simply makes the point that no matter how big a goose Fev is, he is judged more harshly than others from the past who have been guilty of much more serious misdemeanors. Hw lives in a different era where you can't avoid the scrutiny.

He was trying to make a headline and be sensational.
Why even mention EJ, he could have written it as "past players".
IMO he thinks mentioning EJ will give his article more credability, when in fact it has just exposed him as a hack.
If the underworld is his forte maybe he should have mentioned a Blue's player.

Doc26
09-04-2011, 09:43 PM
He simply makes the point that no matter how big a goose Fev is, he is judged more harshly than others from the past who have been guilty of much more serious misdemeanors. Hw lives in a different era where you can't avoid the scrutiny.

This is simply rubbish. He went much further than 'simply' making such a point. Why for example muckrake with the comment on EJ's 'bizarre domestic arrangements' when this is not in the public domain and as with AndrewPJ's point above leaves people 'confused' and asking questions ? It's gutter journalism at it's finest.

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-04-2011, 10:16 PM

You must be kidding Always Right.The reference to EJ's personal life shows a total respect to the Whitten family. I would recommend you go back to reading the left wing diatribe in The Age and take Andrew Rule with you where he belongs.

always right
09-04-2011, 10:24 PM
This is simply rubbish. He went much further than 'simply' making such a point. Why for example muckrake with the comment on EJ's 'bizarre domestic arrangements' when this is not in the public domain and as with AndrewPJ's point above leaves people 'confused' and asking questions ? It's gutter journalism at it's finest.

If the comment about his domestic arrangements was taken out, is there anything else you object to?

azabob
09-04-2011, 10:25 PM
You must be kidding Always Right.The reference to EJ's personal life shows a total respect to the Whitten family. I would recommend you go back to reading the left wing diatribe in The Age and take Andrew Rule with you where he belongs.

Funny post, makes no sense, but funny none the less.

always right
09-04-2011, 10:26 PM

Believe me....I have no wish to be considered a reader of The Age.

Doc26
09-04-2011, 10:42 PM
If the comment about his domestic arrangements was taken out, is there anything else you object to?

That in itself is cheap enough but if you must have another point I object to then yes, absolutely.

I object to Rule's inference to EJ's poor character even cowardice with his quote,
"but at least he's (Fevola) not one to smash players half his size", after referring to an incident with EJ and a 17 year Richmond rover.

I'll say it again, it's gutter journalism whether Rule's an award winning journalist or not.

always right
09-04-2011, 10:58 PM
That in itself is cheap enough but if you must have another point I object to then yes, absolutely.

I object to Rule's inference to EJ's poor character even cowardice with his quote,
"but at least he's (Fevola) not one to smash players half his size", after referring to an incident with EJ and a 17 year Richmond rover.

I'll say it again, it's gutter journalism whether Rule's an award winning journalist or not.

I agree that the article really didn't need reference to EJ to make his point...a point that I think was valid.

My explanation as to who Andrew Rule is, was in reponse to another poster's question...who is Andrew Rule?

KT31
09-04-2011, 11:23 PM
I agree that the article really didn't need reference to EJ to make his point...a point that I think was valid.

My explanation as to who Andrew Rule is, was in reponse to another poster's question...who is Andrew Rule?

Have you considered a name change to 'Never' ?;)

LostDoggy
09-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Andrew Rule is the co-auther of Underbelly

http://bookedout.com.au/static/files/assets/36956a3e/andrew_rule_large.jpg

Apparently he is a respected journalist but this has really hit a nerve !!

No one, No one ever should say things like that or even insinuate things like that about EJ

What a great windy bag of rancid Rhino faeces !!!!!!!!!!!!

On behalf of EJ and his family , I officially put a Scottish curse upon his head

" May the person so named Andrew Rule be forever cursed to never finding shoes that fit "

AndrewP6
09-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Andrew Rule is the co-auther of Underbelly

'nuff said. Someone who has profited by writing about lowlifes, now commenting on the apparent moral standing of others.

BulldogBelle
10-04-2011, 12:07 AM
Cheap shot indeed

Remi Moses
10-04-2011, 01:52 AM

Give me the left wing diatribe than that lunatic right wing shock jock, tabloid,with that crackpot Bolt. Back on topic I've heard of Ted Whitten's domestic situation and no doubt someone from that grubby, Bin scrounging crap paper would be all over it!

westdog54
10-04-2011, 12:02 PM

That may be, but why single out one of the inagrual legends of the game to make that point?

He might have 'smashed a 17 year old Richmond Rover's jaw', but its worth remembering that even though two wrongs dont make a right, EJs debut against Richmond was cut short by Don 'Mopsy' Fraser. There were plenty of footballers in EJs era who weren't afraid to belt a bloke, why is EJ singled out?

Its also worth remembering that while EJ 'would have been a factory hand' if not for football, he was planning out his career after football while still playing. He was working in broadcasting and doing special comments before he retired. What's Fev doing? Pissing and gambling away his money.

There's book smarts and then there's life smarts. EJ made up for lack of one by having truckloads of the other. Fev has neither.

Its beyond comparing apples and oranges, I don't even know how to describe it. He's made his 'point' in a cheap, sensationalised, condescending way.

bornadog
10-04-2011, 12:17 PM
That may be, but why single out one of the inagrual legends of the game to make that point?

He might have 'smashed a 17 year old Richmond Rover's jaw', but its worth remembering that even though two wrongs dont make a right, EJs debut against Richmond was cut short by Don 'Mopsy' Fraser. There were plenty of footballers in EJs era who weren't afraid to belt a bloke, why is EJ singled out?

Its also worth remembering that while EJ 'would have been a factory hand' if not for football, he was planning out his career after football while still playing. He was working in broadcasting and doing special comments before he retired. What's Fev doing? Pissing and gambling away his money.

There's book smarts and then there's life smarts. EJ made up for lack of one by having truckloads of the other. Fev has neither.

Its beyond comparing apples and oranges, I don't even know how to describe it. He's made his 'point' in a cheap, sensationalised, condescending way.

Great Post, well said.

Ghost Dog
10-04-2011, 01:02 PM
EJ - - very community minded. I feel this writer knows nothing about him

SonofScray
10-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Fevola on his drunken escapades down Errol St walked into my school in West Melbourne and belted my Maths teacher circa 99. The school got a few sherrins and a set of footy jumpers off Carlton so it didn't get blown up any further than it did from all reports. He has a long history of being a twat, well before the media and his agents have tried to make it 'clinical' through alcoholism, gambling addictions, not breast fed as a kid or whatever.

I think its a bit rough putting EJ in that basket.

ledge
10-04-2011, 01:31 PM
I bet Andrew wouldnt have mentioned him if he was still alive.
I have read a lot of Andrews books and this really surprises me he even wrote about this, its not his line of work.
I dont see any correlation with Fev or Ted, two different eras in life and football and two completely different people.
I see EJ who would give and take, I see Fev as a give and sook.
EJ accepted his misgivings and gave back to the community, Fev just takes, doesnt learn and is a spoilt brat who thinks the world owes him.

the banker
10-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Didn't read the article but the comparison is lacking any intelligent thread. Weak journalistic rubbish.

LostDoggy
10-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Andrew, care to balance the act of belting the young bloke with the hundreds of courageous acts in putting his body on the line for the sake of his team-mates?

Care also to comment on the number of times he got bashed by mugs trying to make a name for themselves?

Care to mention the number of times he visited the sick and elderly supporting them in their time of need?

Care to mention the regard EJ was held in by the footy community including opposition players and supporters?

Talk to people like David Parkin and Bobby Skilton and get yourself a balanced view of the great man.

ratsmac
10-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Andrew Rule = TWAT

The Pie Man
10-04-2011, 07:55 PM

There's book smarts and then there's life smarts. EJ made up for lack of one by having
of the other. Fev has neither.

I don't have a problem with an attack on a so called sacred cow if there's something to it, but this seems horribly misplaced. The bolded section above matches what little I know of EJ, and to suggest otherwise without anything to support it is at best mischievous and at worst disrespectful.

Dissappointing

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
11-04-2011, 09:28 AM

Does The Age really still have the reputation of being a left wing diatribe? The Herald Sun is getting more and more like the News of the World expect a page 3 girl and some alien abduction stories soon.

Twodogs
11-04-2011, 11:04 AM
When Fev gets a state funeral that is shown live on TV and people line Geelong rd five deep for miles to pay their respects as his body is taken to his final resting place then you can compare Fev to EJ. Until then Rule's article is nothing more than a cheap shot at a man who isnt around to defend himself.

KT31
11-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Does The Age really still have the reputation of being a left wing diatribe? The Herald Sun is getting more and more like the News of the World expect a page 3 girl and some alien abduction stories soon.

Like the political parties, not much seperating them.

Although I would be happy with a page three girl and aliens abducting Fev.:D

LostDoggy
11-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Andrew Rule used to write for The Age specializing in Melbourne's underworld. He's an award winning journo and whilst I think his comments about EJ are out of line due the fact he can't respond, there is nothing wrong with the article.

Andrew Rule's writing (and I'm talking about all his writing here, not just this article) is bog standard sensationalist tripe, and before we start giving him more credence than is deserved, the fact that his grammatically-challenged prose wins so-called 'awards' in Melbourne is more a comment on the excreable quality of journalism in that town than the quality of his writing. He is lucky that he writes for a semi-literate audience -- he would be laughed out of any half-credible journalism school that requires the ability to construct a sentence as a minimum.

Muckraking lowlifes like Rule are poster boys for that school of thought that insists that 'no one ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of human beings'.

Bulldog4life
11-04-2011, 02:14 PM
It is ridiculous to compare EJ & Fev in any way at all. Nothing alike football talent wise or as people. To ridicule Ted's lifestyle when he is not here to defend himself is reprehensible.
As another poster said Rule wouldn't have written this rubbish if Ted was still here. You can bet on it.

always right
11-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Andrew Rule's writing (and I'm talking about all his writing here, not just this article) is bog standard sensationalist tripe, and before we start giving him more credence than is deserved, the fact that his grammatically-challenged prose wins so-called 'awards' in Melbourne is more a comment on the excreable quality of journalism in that town than the quality of his writing. He is lucky that he writes for a semi-literate audience -- he would be laughed out of any half-credible journalism school that requires the ability to construct a sentence as a minimum.

Muckraking lowlifes like Rule are poster boys for that school of thought that insists that 'no one ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of human beings'.

Wow!....don't keep it bottled up mate.

Doc26
11-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Is great to hear some of the Woof community coming out in support of Ted and against Rule's denegration of him.

I'm in the throws of utilising some contacts to at least take the point up with the Herald Sun and with Rule himself.

LostDoggy
11-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Is great to hear some of the Woof community coming out in support of Ted and against Rule's denegration of him.

I'm in the throws of utilising some contacts to at least take the point up with the Herald Sun and with Rule himself.

Ditto.

Doc26
11-04-2011, 02:37 PM

Ditto.

Lantern, the thing I'm concerned with is the more oxygen we give such types the more they seem to get off on it. The challenge I'm finding is how to get a point across without the Rule's of the world then electing to continue with the muckraking by doing an unfavourable expose' on Ted simply because he has a platform available to him.

Twodogs
11-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Lantern, the thing I'm concerned with is the more oxygen we give such types the more they seem to get off on it. The challenge I'm finding is how to get a point across without the Rule's of the world then electing to continue with the muckraking by doing an unfavourable expose' on Ted simply because he has a platform available to him.

Let's see him go for it. The Whitten family have far more influential friends in this town than Rule. Who could Rule call on to back him up-Judy Moran maybe?

LostDoggy
11-04-2011, 05:03 PM

I have no intention of giving this any oxygen whatsoever -- I've simply emailed a couple of editors at the HS that I know personally. No doubt knowing how gossip travels in those halls Andrew will hear about it, but it will be far too much to hope that it would be anything more than a drop in a tiny ocean. Media standards in Melbourne are not going to improve in any measurable way anytime in the near future: too many neanderthals to cater to.

aker39
11-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Finey is going to town on Andrew Rule right now.

The Coon Dog
11-04-2011, 08:33 PM

Onya Finey! Gave him a fearful pasting. Also heard a caller weighing in mentioning WOOF, wonder who that might be? ;)

Doc26
11-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Onya Finey! Gave him a fearful pasting. Also heard a caller weighing in mentioning WOOF, wonder who that might be? ;)

Me. long time listener, first time caller ;) but this article has riled me and wanted to back Finey 100% on this one. Thought I'd throw in a couple of plugs for Woof.

The Pie Man
11-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Me. long time listener, first time caller but this article has riled me and wanted to back Finey 100% on this one. Thought I'd throw in a couple of plugs for Woof.

You presented very well Rohan (always weird addressing a namesake ;))

As has been mentioned, Finey isn't missing him tonight, fair extended and well deserved spray

The Coon Dog
11-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Me. long time listener, first time caller but this article has riled me and wanted to back Finey 100% on this one. Thought I'd throw in a couple of plugs for Woof.

Gee, Finey was really passionate in his condemnation of Andrew Rule, wasn't he? Recognised your voice straight away Doc.

Twodogs
11-04-2011, 08:42 PM

Me. long time listener, first time caller ;) but this article has riled me and wanted to back Finey 100% on this one. Thought I'd throw in a couple of plugs for Woof.

I missed it. Is Finey's show on the SEN podcast thingy?

SlimPickens
11-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Gee, Finey was really passionate in his condemnation of Andrew Rule, wasn't he? Recognised your voice straight away Doc.

He certainly was, i don't always agree with Finey but absolutely behind him on this one.

LostDoggy
11-04-2011, 10:33 PM
I find the comment about EJ's domestic arrangements to be quite off track his wife having described him a mans' man who never forgot to bring home flowers for her every saturday. Seems the reporter lives by the RULE of journalism don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

LostDoggy
11-04-2011, 11:13 PM
When you hear Andrew Rule talk he come's across like if he was backed into a corner he would try to prove how hard he is by eating his own shite and asking you to pee into a bottle so he has something to wash his mouth out with

Remi Moses
12-04-2011, 05:19 AM
There was an unusual family situation (that's all I'll say)
But for crying out loud the family now get dragged into the gutter

ledge
12-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Wish I could find the audio, anyone got it?

Doc26
12-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Wish I could find the audio, anyone got it?

I haven't got the audio but as other posters have said Finey gave Rule one massive and prolonged sledge. He was superb in his condemnation of Rule and his article.

The way I see it is that a community such as ours on WOOF provides a great platform to collectively get vocal on things that do matter such as protecting and sticking up for the greats of our Club, particularly one who bled for this Club over so many years and in this case one who can no longer defend himself.

Managed to speak with Rule yesterday. He's now well aware of the angst and backlash.

Maddog37
12-04-2011, 11:30 AM
How was he to talk to?

Doc26
12-04-2011, 11:36 AM
But for crying out loud the family now get dragged into the gutter

Remi, but aren't you perpetuating the family getting dragged into the gutter by making your first point, partly the point that Rule should and is being be condemned for ?

AndrewP6
12-04-2011, 11:58 AM

That's all that Rule said. If he wasn't going to say more, he needn't have said anything.

KT31
12-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Great work by Finey and Doc.
Is the broadcast available somewhere ?
And well done to fellow Woofers for taking the high ground and sticking up for one of our own Legends.

AndrewP6
12-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Great work by Finey and Doc.
Is the broadcast available somewhere ?
And well done to fellow Woofers for taking the high ground and sticking up for one of our own Legends.

Like :)

The Pie Man
12-04-2011, 01:28 PM
That's all that Rule said. If he wasn't going to say more, he needn't have said anything.

What Finey referred to as 'starting the fire and then walking away'

He didn't miss last night, easily the best work I've heard him display - very very poor journalism exposed.

AndrewP6
12-04-2011, 07:30 PM
What Finey referred to as 'starting the fire and then walking away'

He didn't miss last night, easily the best work I've heard him display - very very poor journalism exposed.

I need to start listening to the radio. :)