PDA

View Full Version : Can Huddo play 2 games in 5 1/2 days?

The Coon Dog
17-04-2011, 08:25 PM
With the new changes to the interchange this year well documented, one thing I have noticed is that Ben Hudson is spending more time on the ground.

Clearly this is going to impact upon his recovery. With this in mind I pose the question; can Huddo play 2 games in 5 1/2 days, coming back from taking on Sandilands in Perth & then fronting up to take on Darren Jolly at the MCG?

From memory Huddo has performed well against both in the past, but if the MC decide he can only play one game & Will Minson comes in, which one would it be better for Huddo to miss?

Thoughts?

Rocco Jones
17-04-2011, 08:34 PM
I have already mentioned in another thread that if we have to compromise one game, I hope it's the Collingwood game. That's for two reasons. I see it as more variable and it also gives us the chance to play him again if he somehow pulls out.

I guess another question is who is actually the stronger ruck. I never thought I'd say this so early in the season but Will is really close to taking Hudson's spot outright.

chef
17-04-2011, 08:47 PM
I think the bigger question is 'Is Huddo still our best option as our number 1 ruck'

Pickenitup
17-04-2011, 09:37 PM
I would play Will against Freo and rest Huddo because Huddo wont be able to back up two games in that period of time and Will played well at Subiaco last week and would also give us a better option
up Forward and really stretch Freo.
By the way i think by the halfway mark of the season Will and Roughy will be our Ruckman for the Rest
of the Season.

LostDoggy
17-04-2011, 09:54 PM
I would play Will against Freo and rest Huddo because Huddo wont be able to back up two games in that period of time and Will played well at Subiaco last week and would also give us a better option
up Forward and really stretch Freo.
By the way i think by the halfway mark of the season Will and Roughy will be our Ruckman for the Rest
of the Season.

Minno is screaming to be picked. I was one of the many that had simply had ENOUGH of his brain-fades last year but he seems to have had the scare he needed in the trade period (no club showing any interest). IMO it's a no-brainer to give him a chance in one of these games. I'd try him with Roughy against freo myself and send the best of the two in with Huddo against the filth. From memory the beard is normally a good match v collingwood.

LostDoggy
17-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Minno is screaming to be picked. I was one of the many that had simply had ENOUGH of his brain-fades last year but he seems to have had the scare he needed in the trade period (no club showing any interest). IMO it's a no-brainer to give him a chance in one of these games. I'd try him with Roughy against freo myself and send the best of the two in with Huddo against the filth. From memory the beard is normally a good match v collingwood.

My sentiments exactly Superdog - let's give Huddo a rest and not take him to WA, and then see who performs the best to include the following week.

anfo27
17-04-2011, 10:39 PM
I think the bigger question is 'Is Huddo still our best option as our number 1 ruck'

Agreed. From what I've seen of Huddo thus far I'm not convinced he should be our number 1.

LostDoggy
17-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Will has to come in for one of these next two

mjp
17-04-2011, 10:53 PM
Clearly this is going to impact upon his recovery. With this in mind I pose the question; can Huddo play 2 games in 5 1/2 days, coming back from taking on Sandilands in Perth & then fronting up to take on Darren Jolly at the MCG?

As things stand now, all he has to do is play one game on Monday evening, not two in 6 days. Worry about the 2nd game when the first game is done.

LostDoggy
17-04-2011, 11:01 PM

I lost years off my life watching him play last year! It killed me too with him being the size he is. But after seeing him play the foxtel cup like a man vs Boys and seeing the stats from the weekend just gone, it looks like he's doing the right things so does deserve a crack in the 1s. But he'd be on thin ice I feel???

Bulldog Joe
17-04-2011, 11:19 PM
I have given my view before, but I would use Huddo in Perth and Minson against Collingwood.

Minson has already had a trip to Perth and he has always done well against Jolly. We know he will be competitive and Hudson needs to play this next week after already having the bye.

Huddo would then be ready for Sydney and perhaps it would be time to rest Roughy.

comrade
17-04-2011, 11:25 PM
I have given my view before, but I would use Huddo in Perth and Minson against Collingwood.

Minson has already had a trip to Perth and he has always done well against Jolly. We know he will be competitive and Hudson needs to play this next week after already having the bye.

Huddo would then be ready for Sydney and perhaps it would be time to rest Roughy.

Yep, I agree 100%.

Huddo should be given the order to terrorize Sandilands and just crunch him at every contest knowing that he won't need to back it up the week after.

The Coon Dog
17-04-2011, 11:29 PM
As things stand now, all he has to do is play one game on Monday evening, not two in 6 days. Worry about the 2nd game when the first game is done.

I guess that's all based on a premise that he travels to Perth. I just wonder if the MC will decide to forgo the Perth trip though if they think he won't be able to back up. Personally I'd play Huddo against Sandilands.

Ghost Dog
18-04-2011, 12:36 AM
Could, perhaps, be a bit of a mistake to think too many games in advance.
We have to win as many games as we can, plain and simple. There's real competition for the top four this season.
Play the best team of in-form players that match up well and forget where the opposition sits on the ladder. Stick to our structures and plan. See how key players pull up after the game. Then think about the next match.

With the Sub rule, the endurance of rucks is at a premium. youth is on Wills side and I can't see Huddo being able to sustain the top spot. It's not a pot at him, it;s just that he's a touch older and has carried a heavy load for quite a while.

mjp
18-04-2011, 01:22 AM
RE collingwood, well, Essendon were the juggernauts of old...

...and Carlton beat Brisbane in 2001 by 80 odd points before the 'If it bleeds we can kill it game' against the Lions that was the beginning of 3 consecutive flags and the end to a supposed Essendon dynasty.

1eyedog
18-04-2011, 01:16 PM

So you think Huddo should be dropped?

Cyberdoggie
18-04-2011, 01:41 PM

He's not getting any younger or quicker, and if he can't rely on just his 'smarts's' to beat younger and more athletic opponents then retirement won't creap up on him slowly.

Don't get me wrong, Huddo has been great for us but the realistic opinion is that when the end comes for him it will come pretty quickly. It will be a matter of realization that he just can't match it with the type of ruckmen that are having a big impact today.

stefoid
18-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Hudson to play freo to keep him in form and fitness. the bye, then a game, then another rest would be the best way to handle his body.

So Minson to play pies. He should be fairly jumping out of his skin by that stage.

chef
18-04-2011, 03:04 PM
So you think Huddo should be dropped?

Yes. Minno is beating down the door and Huddo hasn't been performing well enough to keep him out. I don't see why it's that big of a deal, maybe I don't rate Huddo as highly as others around here.

chef
18-04-2011, 03:07 PM
He's not getting any younger or quicker, and if he can't rely on just his 'smarts's' to beat younger and more athletic opponents then retirement won't creap up on him slowly.

Don't get me wrong, Huddo has been great for us but the realistic opinion is that when the end comes for him it will come pretty quickly. It will be a matter of realization that he just can't match it with the type of ruckmen that are having a big impact today.

This worries me as Rocket has shown a habit of holding onto older players for far to long when there is younger talent ready to step up and take there place. If they were both playing under Malthouse IMO Minno would be playing ATM.

the banker
18-04-2011, 03:25 PM

Sounds like a plan.

lemmon
18-04-2011, 03:33 PM
I think the likes of Collingwood, Fremantle and even Essendon lately have shown how much of a commodity a genuinely good tap-ruckmen is, Huddos strength was always in winning the contested footy at ground level, unfortunately it means that the likes of Jolly are giving his midfielders an arm chair ride. Midfield structures are massive in modern footy and more often then not we are roving the opposition ruck taps because Huddo cant contest in the air, I love the big fella but more and more it looks like modern footy has passed him by. We either need Roughead to shoulder more of a burden in the ruck and genuinely start winning hit outs or Will to come in, I can still see a combination of Will and Huddo working, if Will is able to be more then competitive in the hit outs. It seems more and more that we are already starting on uneven ground with Huddo in the centre square, particularly with his current work load.

1eyedog
18-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Yes. Minno is beating down the door and Huddo hasn't been performing well enough to keep him out. I don't see why it's that big of a deal, maybe I don't rate Huddo as highly as others around here.

It's not a big deal, it's just an interesting development and one that I am coming to terms with.

I was interested in hearing your thoughts on it.

chef
18-04-2011, 04:14 PM
It's not a big deal, it's just an interesting development and one that I am coming to terms with.

I was interested in hearing your thoughts on it.

The way I see it is Huddo plays like a 200cm inside midfielder which doesn't really help our team that much as we have plenty of this type of player(and father time is seriously catching up to him IMO).
Minson has shown himself to be one of the better hit out to advantage ruckmen in the league(as well as being able to go forward and cause contests and bring the ball to the ground or mark the ball and kick a goal) and with the way our team is being smashed in clearances this would being a bigger advantage to our side.

stefoid
19-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Actually, now that you mention it, it a big ground and likely to be a fast game over there, isnt it? We might need Minsons mobility. Isnt that a strange thing to say? (only in comparison to Huddos mobility).

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-04-2011, 01:25 PM

Hudson's form last year was hard to fault and he deserves the opportunity to be picked against Fremantle. The use of the substitute is now impacting on ruckmen in particular and therefore Minson against Collingwood makes sense due to the lack of recovery time in what could be hot conditions in Perth for Hudson. The jury is still out on Minson as a quality ruckman, as his form up until the past four weeks has been questionable at best.
I agree on previous comments regarding holding onto older players too long. Present indications would suggest that Hudson may struggle to go on beyond this year.

MrMahatma
19-04-2011, 07:05 PM
While that's true of the individual (Huddo) - surely the MC and the conditioning staff need to think longer term (IE: The rest of the season) and what's best for getting the guys right for September.

I understand the whole "one week at a time" thing, but when it comes to the older blokes, they need a bit of cotton wool. I'd be shocked if Huddo/Hall at the very least aren't given a week or two off this season.

Given we have a decent enough 3rd ruck option in Minson, I'd say rotating our 3 ruckman makes a lot of sense. We don't lose too much in ability, and it keeps them fresh.

bornadog
19-04-2011, 07:22 PM
While that's true of the individual (Huddo) - surely the MC and the conditioning staff need to think longer term (IE: The rest of the season) and what's best for getting the guys right for September.

I understand the whole "one week at a time" thing, but when it comes to the older blokes, they need a bit of cotton wool. I'd be shocked if Huddo/Hall at the very least aren't given a week or two off this season.

Given we have a decent enough 3rd ruck option in Minson, I'd say rotating our 3 ruckman makes a lot of sense. We don't lose too much in ability, and it keeps them fresh.

Didn't Brisbane use to rest their ruckman and save him for the finals when they won three in a row. Can't remember his name, Clark or something?

chef
19-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Didn't Brisbane use to rest their ruckman and save him for the finals when they won three in a row. Can't remember his name, Clark or something?

Clark Keating was only ever fit at finals time.

Greystache
19-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Clark Keating was only ever fit at finals time.

Or as he was otherwise known "Mr September"

KT31
26-04-2011, 02:17 AM
Huddo out - Minson in.
(we recruited Huddo at roughly the same age as Minson now - he will show his wares and take Huddo's place.)

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 01:55 PM
The Beard gets a rest against Collingwood , Minson comes in but he has to keep his tackles down , the Collingwood midfield will have a field day with free kicks if he does,nt use his shoulder in a tackle rather than hanging his arm out , they will duck the head everytime.

The Beard should only play if 100%, last year we played him after he injured his ankle in Darwin and it cost us plenty , almost a push for the last week in September ( too many injured/ sick players for that to happen anyway )

For the Beard to be injured and sore this early in the season is a real worry, Hudson at 90% is almost a liability, Minson is a quality player with White Line Fever ( too many free's against ), Roughhead is a real talent but still learning , Liam Jones is the only other player available to pinch-hit in the ruck 197cm , Cordy is another season away , Mulligan the same , Ed Barlow with his huge engine would easily fit into an Adam Goodes role but he's on the Rookie List 196cm

The Club has some real work to do to set out a program to rotate our ruckman to stop them burning out

Dogmatic
26-04-2011, 07:53 PM
I think Hudson has been a fantastic ruckman for us but unfortunately i think he's just about finished.

Will is a good tap ruckman and is okayaround the ground. He had a massively interrupted pre-season last year which may explain his bad form in 2010 but he seems to be peaking now. He needs to come in this week.

MrMahatma
27-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Wasn't Huddo's best outing against Freo - but he had fair competition.

Problem was more that he dropped some easy marks at crucial times. I'd give Minson a run. It's time he was rewarded.

LostDoggy
27-04-2011, 10:41 AM
The Beard gets a rest against Collingwood , Minson comes in but he has to keep his tackles down , the Collingwood midfield will have a field day with free kicks if he does,nt use his shoulder in a tackle rather than hanging his arm out , they will duck the head everytime.

The Beard should only play if 100%, last year we played him after he injured his ankle in Darwin and it cost us plenty , almost a push for the last week in September ( too many injured/ sick players for that to happen anyway )

For the Beard to be injured and sore this early in the season is a real worry, Hudson at 90% is almost a liability, Minson is a quality player with White Line Fever ( too many free's against ), Roughhead is a real talent but still learning , Liam Jones is the only other player available to pinch-hit in the ruck 197cm , Cordy is another season away , Mulligan the same , Ed Barlow with his huge engine would easily fit into an Adam Goodes role but he's on the Rookie List 196cm

The Club has some real work to do to set out a program to rotate our ruckman to stop them burning out .

Agree with you WestDog - Huddo has been great for us, but it's crazy to play him injured. As you rightly say, the club needs to put their thinking caps on to get some games and experience into the younger ones whilst ensuring that Minson and Huddo don't burn out!

ratsmac
27-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Rest him for Minson. This would be a Wise option IMO.

bornadog
27-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Rest him for Minson. This would be a Wise option IMO.

Why? He is an AFL footballer and played only 4 games this season?