PDA

View Full Version : Round 5 Preview - Dogs @ Dockers, Monday 25th

mjp
17-04-2011, 10:50 PM
When and Where
Monday April 25th (ANZAC Day – Len Hall Game)
Pattersons Stadium, 6:40pm
Last time (and the time before)
We have won 6 in a row vs the Dockers...a 80-odd point smashing in round 17 2010 being the most recent result. This was the ‘Aker game’ and it would be a great fillip for our chances if the passion surrounding that event – and the following weeks before the illness and injuries hit vs Sydney – could be rediscovered before next Monday. Our last couple of games vs Freo in Perth were pre the 2010 Dockers resurgence and can be disregarded as a form guide.
What should not be dismissed is the importance of this game. Many of my friends and family are Dockers members and as a small-business owner I will struggle to pay for all of the beer/lotto tickets I am committed too should we fail.
Form leading in
Us
Started pretty slowly against the Bombers before belting the wooden spoon candidates from Queensland in the confines of the dome in successive weeks (r1 and r2). First trip away from Melbourne for the year.
Them
Have been shaky in victory (Lions), good in defeat (Catters), then VERY good in winning against the Crows away then North at home. Have already won a couple of away games (in Brisbane and Adelaide – stuffing up my tipping quite nicely thanks) and in a bit of a fixtural anomaly are playing successive home games at Subi.
Potential Line Ups
Them
B: Ibbotson, McPharlin, Broughton
HB: Van Berlo, Grover, Duffield
C: Palmer, Boyd, Mundy
HF: De Boer, Pavlich, Mayne
F: Bradley, McPhee, Ballantyne
Foll: Sandilands, Fyfe, Crowley
I/C: Johnson, Roberton, Pitt, Crichton
Emg: Lower, Griffin...Walters maybe?
Suban has busted his leg and will be a straight out for either Lower or Crichton...I have guessed Crichton at the moment because Lower missed last week altogether and Crichton’s WAFL form has been excellent.
US
B: Hill, Lake, Morris
HB: Murphy, Williams, Gilbee
C: Griffen, Boyd, Picken
HF: Higgins, Grant, Ward
F: Giansiracusa, Hall, Cooney
Foll: Hudson, Cross, Liberatore
I/C: Wallis, Roughhead, Addison, Sherman
Emg: Stack, Jones, Djerrkura
Given Freo’s lack of tall forwards, simply no requirement for Markovic to play. Addison and Wallis get their chances – Stack out as well (simply a balance thing) – need an extra mid (Wallis) rather than flanker against Freo and all the rumours point to a Wallis ‘IN’.
Key Match ups
Sandilands
Pretty simple one – Hudson has to go to him and be prepared to simply crash into a brick wall 50 or 60 times during the game. It is never about winning the knock – it is about creating a contest so that Sandilands cannot get a clear hit to a runner...he is regularly neutralised in the centre, but around the ground – particularly forward line stoppages – he is close to unstoppable and our mids/small backs need to have their wits about them and dangerous space ‘owned’.
Ballantyne
Super player who once answered a 3am “What are you doing Balla’s” question in my kitchen with the response ‘Eating a tomato’ – he has never been able to explain exactly why he came over or how he got in...or why he was craving a tomato. Regardless, his forward pressure and willingness to push up the ground 100m + then sprint back inside attacking 50m to receive make him a very dangerous forward and one who needs to be constantly attended too. I vote Morris gets the gig and allows him to release up past the wing – but does not let him get goal-side...
Pavlich
Hmmm. If he plays forward, he will need the combination Lake/Williams (deep/high) 1-2 punch. When he goes inside either Boyd (preferred) or Cross need to account for him based on body size alone...good player Pav.
Fyfe
Enough of letting this kid (my nemesis from the 2009 grand final – kicked 6 the little so-and-so) run around the midfield unattended. He is playing inside more this year and needs to be given close attention...Picken goes too him at the first bounce and makes his life a misery.
Cooney
I am almost certain Crowley will go to him – and Cooney should take him to the cleaners. Crowley is disciplined and fit, but slower than Crossy (sorry Daniel) and should not be able to contain Adam. Coon has to run though – and he has not shown a willingness to do this over the last couple of weeks...Sure, Adam could take him to the goal square but this should be a shock tactic, not a default position – moving him forward for too long robs our midfield of pace and run...
As an aside, if Crowley goes to Griffen then Freo believe the most dangerous player status has swung.
Hall
McPharlin is a good player and will take Barry. I guess Bazza kicks 4-5 if we win, 2-3 if we lose...these two will fight out an honourable tie is my guess.
Higgins
I guess Van Berlo takes this spot – strong player whose biggest flaw is leg-speed...Higgo should be a good match up for him. Higgins *Should* be too smart for Van Berlo, but the kid will persist...Broughton available as a plan b for the Dockers (unless Harvey drops him for ducking his head in a marking contest in the last quarter which is the sort of thing he is apt to do).
Where the game will be won and lost
This will be won and lost in the midfield. If Hudson/Roughead can neutralise Sandilands and Bradley (yes, Bradley!) that will go a long way towards securing the win. Cooney, Griffen, Cross, Boyd, Ward et al are going to have their hands full with the likes of Mundy, Fyfe, Hill, Duffield and co...Freo have developed a very versatile and hard-running list. They also have the Pavlich wild-card – when he went into the midfield (and he even spent time on the wing) against North, his possessions created goal after goal and North had no answer to his strength and running power around the ball.
Verdict
Freo have been playing better than us and they are at home. I am DEEPLY worried about this game and suspect a win by Fremantle to the tune of somewhere between 5 and 7 goals is the most likely result.

comrade
17-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Great read and I agree that it's a massive danger game. but do you really believe they'll beat us by more than they beat North?

We're not going that badly (and they're not going that great) - surely?

EasternWest
17-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Good stuff mjp.

I think the point on Huddo not trying to outruck Sandilands but work him over is a good one. Every time I watch Sandilands I'm surprised that I'm still surprised at just how good he is below his knees for a guy his size. Huddo needs to be really physical with him.

Another good point on Bradley. A guy who has no business being a footballer, but Harvey's persistence has been rewarded. He's able enough.

I think this is a danger game also, very difficult to win. But on the other hand, it's also a good chance for us to show our mettle and what we've really got after the Essendon loss.

mjp
17-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Great read and I agree that it's a massive danger game. but do you really believe they'll beat us by more than they beat North?

We're not going that badly (and they're not going that great) - surely?

They beat North by 5 goals and North have already played one over here this year...would have the travel sorted, familiar with the new surface etc (remember, returfed in Feb with some new type of grass and it is a bit 'funny')...

I just think they are a goal / goal and a half better than us per q over at Subi. I hope that they aren't but I am really worried about this game.

comrade
17-04-2011, 11:21 PM
They beat North by 5 goals and North have already played one over here this year...would have the travel sorted, familiar with the new surface etc (remember, returfed in Feb with some new type of grass and it is a bit 'funny')...

I just think they are a goal / goal and a half better than us per q over at Subi. I hope that they aren't but I am really worried about this game.

I can't really comment on the grass being a factor but hopefully the experienced core of our team have travelled to Perth enough times for it not too impact their performance too much.

Can't disagree that Freo are a different team over at Subi and Pav's form today was pretty damn ominous.

Cooney needs to have a HUGE one!

bornadog
17-04-2011, 11:58 PM
Thankyou for posting this early, gives us a thread to post to for the week. Love the tomotoe story.

The rucks are going to be very important as we need first use of the ball out of the centre and make sure we win the contested footy as well. If pav goes to the midfield it will be interesting who picks him up.

LostDoggy
18-04-2011, 02:23 AM
[
Key Match ups
Sandilands
Pretty simple one – Hudson has to go to him and be prepared to simply crash into a brick wall 50 or 60 times during the game. It is never about winning the knock – it is about creating a contest so that Sandilands cannot get a clear hit to a runner...he is regularly neutralised in the centre, but around the ground – particularly forward line stoppages – he is close to unstoppable and our mids/small backs need to have their wits about them and dangerous space ‘owned’.

All the reasons to send Minson and rest the beard IMO. Minson's a bigger battering ram and he gets a chance to show whether the VFL form stands up??!

WBFC seem to have the wood on Freo and IMO win by 20+ even over there. We should be nicely primed to assult the jail-breakers the following week :D

LostDoggy
18-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Great preview MJP and thanks for posting it early - I have been feeling a little bereft with no bulldogs to watch/discuss this weekend! Other teams just don't cut it for me! :D Will be interesting to see what the MC does - I would like to see Big Wil make the trip and it does seem like the opportune time for Mitch to get a game (although I will be disappoiinted that I can't be there to see his first one!:(). I think it is a danger game, coming off the bye and we haven't really hit our straps yet - Freo always look dangerous against other sides, and then we end up beating them?? I must have a strange perception of them I think! I always worry when we play them.

The Coon Dog
18-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Who did Freo play in round 3? Adelaide - coming off the bye.

Who did Freo play in round 4? North Melbourne - coming off the bye.

Who do Freo play in round 5? Western Bulldogs - coming off the bye.

Coincidence?

Murphy'sLore
18-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Interesting!

Mofra
18-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Cooney needs to have a HUGE one!
Whichever of Griffen/Cooney that isn't tagged needs to play very well for us to win.
If our KPPs are in the bests, we wont get over the line IMO.

I am very worried about our cleraance rate - we lost Q1 against the Suns and a major strength for us last year seems to be a weakness. Teams like Freo wont give us the luxury of winning the ball around the groudn if we can't get our hands on it from a stoppage first.

Sedat
18-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Fyfe
Enough of letting this kid (my nemesis from the 2009 grand final – kicked 6 the little so-and-so) run around the midfield unattended. He is playing inside more this year and needs to be given close attention...Picken goes too him at the first bounce and makes his life a misery.
Gret preview mjp. Fyfe is going to be some player, and I like the rationale of a Picken type going to him. But what then do we do with Stephen Hill? Leaving him unguarded on the wide spaces of Subi will end in tears.

What did Geelong do in Round 2 to restrict the run and carry of the Dockers on the same ground? Cats are not a fast team, so they must have set up and executed well to rerstrict the Dockers ability to run and spread.

Love Ballantyne's work ethic. I saw him sprint 100 metres last night to provide an option inside forward 50 and he looked as though he was almost going to pass out when he ran to the bench after kicking the goal.

Freo would argue it is a danger game for them and not the other way around. I think they will start warmish favourites and only a supreme effort from our mids and ruck division will give us a chance to nullify their running ability.

AndrewP6
18-04-2011, 11:09 AM
I would like to see Big Wil make the trip and it does seem like the opportune time for Mitch to get a game (although I will be disappoiinted that I can't be there to see his first one!:()

Wouldn't that mean someone else was put on the LTI list ???

SlimPickens
18-04-2011, 11:33 AM

I think you'll find they meant Mitch Wallis debuting

mjp
18-04-2011, 11:57 AM
But what then do we do with Stephen Hill? Leaving him unguarded on the wide spaces of Subi will end in tears.

I would be happy enough for someone like Sherman just to play on Hill.

LostDoggy
18-04-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm willing to sacrifice this game if it means we will win the week after :D

Rocco Jones
18-04-2011, 12:45 PM
I'm willing to sacrifice this game if it means we will win the week after :D

I know you're joking but the overwhelming feel I am getting (may well be wrong) is that most find the Collingwood game more 'important'.

I actually find the Collingwood game the 'least' important of our next 3. Sure, go in and do as much as we can but I find the Freo and Swans game either side of it as much more variable. I would much prefer wins over Freo and/or the Swans than a 'valiant' effort against Collingwood.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to compromise any game but if we have to, I would compromise our least variable game.

Cyberdoggie
18-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks MJP,

How do you think Liberatore will go on the larger ground?

A brief assessment of him this year would be that he is great in clearances, still slightly built so can get brushed off tackles but still throws himself in, not particularly quick or agile and still has to get a bigger tank to be more consistent throughout the game.

I wonder if the large ground will tire him out too much.

This will be a real test of our fitness this game.

Greystache
18-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the early preview MJP. I agree this is a real danger game, it's only our second test of the season and we're in round 5. Freo have had better preparation for a tough game than we have.

Would you consider playing Picken on Ballantyne? He certainly wouldn't put up with any of the shit Ballantyne carries on with, and other than Cross he's about our best endurance runner.

turtle
18-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Excellent preview!

These are games we need to win. The Dockers have their injury problems and if we are serious about being any sort of threat we cannot drop these sorts of games.
We can come up with all sorts of reasons why we might find this hard, but good teams find ways to win these games. I have been prepared to to ignore our performance so far this year, for a variety of reasons, but after the week off we should be set. No more excuses.

mjp
18-04-2011, 03:01 PM

Should be fine...you have to win contested footy at Subi to release your runners. Could be critical to us I think.

mjp
18-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Would you consider playing Picken on Ballantyne? He certainly wouldn't put up with any of the shit Ballantyne carries on with, and other than Cross he's about our best endurance runner.

I wouldn't but I can see where you are coming from. There are mids who need to be cut out of the game and I see Picken as our best chance of doing that...

Scraggers
18-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Fyfe

Gret preview mjp. Fyfe is going to be some player, and I like the rationale of a Picken type going to him. But what then do we do with Stephen Hill? Leaving him unguarded on the wide spaces of Subi will end in tears.

As I have stated in many other threads on WOOF, I used to teach Nat Fyfe at Lake Grace in rural WA, and I am very good friends with the family ... Having said that, I hope he gets his head knocked off on Monday.

Every prediction I have made about Nat has been incorrect ...
I thought he would get the snot kicked out of him in high school ... Wrong !
I thought he would never amount to anything ... Wrong !
I thought he would not make the grade in WAFL Colts ... Wrong ! (MJP will attest to that)
I thought he didn't stand a chance to be picked up by an AFL club ... Wrong !
I thought he would play a game of seniors ... Wrong !!
I thought his second year would be a shocker compared to his first and he would be dropped to the magoos ... Wrong Again !!

Change of tact ... I think Nat will win a Brownlow and be the most sought after player in the AFL, I think he will captain Freo to back to back grand finals, and be unstoppable against us this ANZAC day. !!! (God, I hope I'm wrong on all three counts) :o

Scraggers
18-04-2011, 04:06 PM
By the way, fantastic review MJP; like you, I have a lot riding on this game (wife and her family are all Docker supporters, plus most of my staff).

I too think we might get beaten (Geez, I hope I'm wrong) I'm thinking 14 points.

the banker
18-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Excellent preview!

These are games we need to win. The Dockers have their injury problems and if we are serious about being any sort of threat we cannot drop these sorts of games.
We can come up with all sorts of reasons why we might find this hard, but good teams find ways to win these games. I have been prepared to to ignore our performance so far this year, for a variety of reasons, but after the week off we should be set. No more excuses.

Agree. Are Freo strong enough defensively to cope with our Swarm and run out of the back half and through the middle?

The draw has them much more finely tuned than us. How we start I feel will have big bearing on the result. If we can hold them the first quarter may set us up.

Even given the Essendon game I feel this is our first real test and our season starts now.

Hotdog60
18-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks MJP,

A brief assessment of him this year would be that he is great in clearances, still slightly built so can get brushed off tackles but still throws himself in, not particularly quick or agile and still has to get a bigger tank to be more consistent throughout the game.

I wonder if the large ground will tire him out too much.

This will be a real test of our fitness this game.

Maybe Tom can sub for Mitch and give them half a game each.

Rocco Jones
18-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Maybe Tom can sub for Mitch and give them half a game each.

I'd like to see Addison and Wallis come in. If that occurs, I would have Mitch as a sub with Dylan coming off if it's not working out with him. I would go with that tactic anyway but I think it has the added benefit of not reducing a post bye player's TOG. Having a 16 day break + limited TOG is far from ideal.

mjp
18-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Agree. Are Freo strong enough defensively to cope with our Swarm and run out of the back half and through the middle?

Freo are quite good defensively. Broughton and McPharlin are really good players, Grover and Van Berlo are honest and accountable and they get some run from the likes of Duffield...

Pretty balanced side these days. They will be a tough out for us this week.

LostDoggy
18-04-2011, 07:56 PM

Sorry Andrew, I should have been more clear - I do mean Mitch Wallis!!!!

AndrewP6
18-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Sorry Andrew, I should have been more clear - I do mean Mitch Wallis!!!!

Oh of course. I should've put 2 and 2 together! :)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Great review MJP. I also share your trepidation about how we will go in this game.
Freo are in good form, and I'm not sure how to gauge our form in the first 3 rounds, not to mention how the bye will affect our performance.
So far I think all the teams that have had a bye have lost in the following week.

mjp
18-04-2011, 10:40 PM
So far I think all the teams that have had a bye have lost in the following week.

And Freo's last 2 have been against teams coming off a bye!

LostDoggy
19-04-2011, 12:57 AM
Who did Freo play in round 3? Adelaide - coming off the bye.

Who did Freo play in round 4? North Melbourne - coming off the bye.

Who do Freo play in round 5? Western Bulldogs - coming off the bye.

Coincidence?

It contrast if they lost those games, we would be saying they got a rare deal playing a team who got a week off.

egan-kennedy-ford
19-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Great preview guys.

I do like the idea of Wil in here. The battering ram into Sandilands aspect is the only way to partially nullify him. Huddo has a long year ahead of him (and the Pies in 5.5 days) and Roughie is not physically up to this gig just yet - Wil has to get a fair share of the load here.

We definitely go into this game as underdogs, but I think we will put up a strong showing. I feel our prep was centred around not being 100% for R1, but getting through the first 3 rounds and the bye and
being cherry ripe here.

I agree with the no excuses vibe, if we are premiership contenders this is the type of game we need to make a serious impression in.

Not surprised with all the Nathan Fyfe love. He is my favourite non-Dogs player in the comp right now, from his first game he reminded me a lot of James Hird as a footballer.

aker39
19-04-2011, 10:32 AM
It contrast if they lost those games, we would be saying they got a rare deal playing a team who got a week off.

My thoughts exactly.

The AFL should never fixture a team to play a team coming off a bye, 3 weeks in a row.

Whether it is good or bad is open for debate, but scheduling a team to do it 3 weeks in a row is stupid.

LostDoggy
19-04-2011, 11:20 AM
I think I meant to say raw deal, but re-reading it, rare kind of makes sense also hehe

LostDoggy
19-04-2011, 12:35 PM
I think we play a good brand of footy out west. Apart from a poor showing against WC in 2009, I don't think we've lost a game there since West Coast won the grand final in 2006. We even beat them there that year (ah what a game that was).

Freo really only beat North Melbourne on the scoreboard in two quarters last week. And only won because North were shocking in the third. If we turn up to play, I'm picking the Dogs by 5 goals. If we don't turn up, I still think it'll be a close one.

the banker
19-04-2011, 01:18 PM
If we turn up we will win.

LostDoggy
19-04-2011, 01:37 PM
B: Hill, Lake, Morris
HB: Murphy, Williams, Gilbee

Where the game will be won and lost
This will be won and lost in the midfield. .

IMO this is an outstanding backline (if fireing) and even if Freo get the better of the midfield hopefully these guys can pick up the slack???

True /\ /\ /\ /\.
If the dogs are on, Freo will struggle.
If ,"The team that is playing Collingwood next week", shows up then it will be disasterous!

Ghost Dog
19-04-2011, 01:38 PM

:D LOL. Nice one banker. Let's hope our boys are not 'lost dogs' this week.

LostDoggy
19-04-2011, 07:31 PM
If the dogs are on, Freo will struggle.
If ,"The team that is playing Collingwood next week", shows up then it will be disasterous!

Too true, we need to throw EVERYTHING at this game and win. And we should, dogs by 23.

Go_Dogs
19-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Great preview and description of the Freo side, much appreciated.

Shaping as a very important game for us, more so for the confidence and belief a win over in WA against a side that should play finals this year should give the group.

jasopan
20-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Dogs by 20!

Remi Moses
20-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Dogs will win this . No Bye excuses,grass excuses,heat excuses. No more excuses please

Pickenitup
20-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Feeling very confident about this game Dogs by 24

bornadog
21-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Interesting last week North had more disposals, won the contested possessions, hitouts were slightly in favour to Freo (4), and tackles inside 50 -North won. Clearances favoured Freo by 8 and undoubtedly this is where they won the game. (amongst other things).

We need to win contested possessions and clearances and tackle hard. (goes without saying I guess for every game.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-04-2011, 02:04 PM
This really is a crucial game in the context of the season and our confidence moving forward. We aren't in good form, but we need to find a way to quickly change that and pick up four points. We need to stay in touch with the likes of Geelong (and Hawthorn, Freo).

If we lose, we could be in trouble ... but a win could really turn things in the right direction.

mjp
21-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Interesting last week North had more disposals, won the contested possessions, hitouts were slightly in favour to Freo (4), and tackles inside 50 -North won. Clearances favoured Freo by 8 and undoubtedly this is where they won the game. (amongst other things).

We need to win contested possessions and clearances and tackle hard. (goes without saying I guess for every game.

Not really. Freo defeated North because they were disciplined defensively and rebounded with some real purpose. Poor kicking was punished...the Freo defenders worked hard to outnumber the North forwards and moved forward well.

It will be the willingness of our mids to press forward (and of our forwards to chase and harrass) that will determine the outcome...if we have faith in our backs to beat their opponents we can survive losing the stoppages.

bornadog
21-04-2011, 06:54 PM
It will be the willingness of our mids to press forward (and of our forwards to chase and harrass) that will determine the outcome...if we have faith in our backs to beat their opponents we can survive losing the stoppages.

I have faith in our backline especially with Lake back now.

mjp
21-04-2011, 07:18 PM
I have faith in our backline especially with Lake back now.

Me too...so it is up to the rest of them to play their roles!

Bulldog Revolution
22-04-2011, 12:06 PM
I've pessimistically tipped against us - normally I dont have these crises of faith this early in the year, or around Easter

However, we've not been good yet, and Freo have surprised with their results

I think we have significantly more talent than Freo and should win, but our looseness at stoppages, waivering application and high volume of F50's conceded has me concerned

Nothing will make me happier than a win

The Adelaide Connection
22-04-2011, 05:57 PM
I am hating that the two games we play after games in WA are Collingwood and Hawthorn, would have liked some "Collingwood fixture luck" to throw us a bye or Gold Coast the week after so we could rest some senior players.

On a tangent it is good to see Harvey trying to pump this game up as much as possible, unfortunately he seems to be a lone hand in trying to give it it's share of Anzac billing and is kinda figthing a losing battle. Hope the Collingwood v Essendon game is a stinker and ours is a thriller with a Dogs goal after the siren by, lets say, Crossy (a spectacular 35m tumble mongrel monster!).

Hotdog60
22-04-2011, 06:39 PM
I am hating that the two games we play after games in WA are Collingwood and Hawthorn, would have liked some "Collingwood fixture luck" to throw us a bye or Gold Coast the week after so we could rest some senior players.

On a tangent it is good to see Harvey trying to pump this game up as much as possible, unfortunately he seems to be a lone hand in trying to give it it's share of Anzac billing and is kinda figthing a losing battle. Hope the Collingwood v Essendon game is a stinker and ours is a thriller with a Dogs goal after the siren by, lets say, Crossy (a spectacular 35m tumble mongrel monster!).

I don't know if my heart would take it, but I like where your coming from :D

The Adelaide Connection
22-04-2011, 06:51 PM
A (poor) artists impression of how it will unfold:

azabob
22-04-2011, 10:27 PM

I thought we played Sydney after Collingwood?

The Adelaide Connection
22-04-2011, 11:08 PM
I thought we played Sydney after Collingwood?

We do, what I meant was that the two fixtures after each of our WA games are both tough ie after the Freo game we play Collingwood and after teh West Coast game (in round 9) we play Hawthorn. It would be nice to be able to either have a week off after the WA roadtrips or score an easier opponent like Gold Coast.

LostDoggy
23-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Am Marching in morning then off to Pascoe Vale Rissole for Battalion lunch. Just hope I'm capable enough to watch the game after downing a few frothies with Ole man's war buddies.
I'm not a big fan of Anzac day footy, too much respect for the old diggers, but it is now part of the calendar and I have to put up with it.

Dogs in a close one

azabob
23-04-2011, 10:41 AM
We do, what I meant was that the two fixtures after each of our WA games are both tough ie after the Freo game we play Collingwood and after teh West Coast game (in round 9) we play Hawthorn. It would be nice to be able to either have a week off after the WA roadtrips or score an easier opponent like Gold Coast.

Sorry mate, now I get you and I agree. Good pick up. I feel if we lose to either Pies or Hawks it could be a ready made excuse.

Ghost Dog
23-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Am Marching in morning then off to Pascoe Vale Rissole for Battalion lunch. Just hope I'm capable enough to watch the game after downing a few frothies with Ole man's war buddies.
I'm not a big fan of Anzac day footy, too much respect for the old diggers, but it is now part of the calendar and I have to put up with it.
Dogs in a close one

good comment Shnookie

Maddog37
23-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Footy does piggy back on the Anzacs which is a touch crass but in turn it does bring a focus to the day and what it means. Especially for the younger generations with no other real connection to the events it is commemorating.

Raw Toast
23-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the excellent preview MJP - I hope we surprise you in a good way, and actually think we should win, though I'm pretty nervous of course.

The reasons for my confidence are:
1) Hudson has a pretty good record against Sandilands and if he can nullify him again that will help us no end
2) Lake is back and I like our defensive unit
3) Typically we've enjoyed running our Subiaco

I know you're joking but the overwhelming feel I am getting (may well be wrong) is that most find the Collingwood game more 'important'.

I actually find the Collingwood game the 'least' important of our next 3. Sure, go in and do as much as we can but I find the Freo and Swans game either side of it as much more variable. I would much prefer wins over Freo and/or the Swans than a 'valiant' effort against Collingwood.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to compromise any game but if we have to, I would compromise our least variable game.

Agreed - and good way of putting it Rocco. If we lose this one then it's going to take some work to get our season back on track.