PDA

View Full Version : Round 5 discussion

Sedat
22-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Shame that Brisbane could not maintain their fanatical intensity tonight against the Saints - just a bad 10 minute patch at the start of the last qtr was the difference in the end. Our formline using Brisbane as the measuring stick doesn't look too bad in hindsight - they have pushed all of Freo, Melbourne and St Kilda to the limit. Vossy has his critics but his chargers sure are playing with desire and commitment - what is killing them is their poor skill execution gifting too many easy turnover goals to the opposition.

Remi Moses
22-04-2011, 01:02 AM
Brisbane should have won,missing two gettable goals before 3/4 time.
We crushed Bris Vegas when not setting the world on fire,just wondering if they've improved or Stkilda have slipped alarmingly? Stkilda still looking like their running in cement,the run and spread is just not there.To many Bakers Jones's Mcqualters Stephens for mine,with that non event Kosi in the side.
Did I hear Lyon was complaining about the ground being watered? Probably the biggest irony this year. A club who proudly boasted about watering their sty of a ground!

Hotdog60
22-04-2011, 06:32 AM
Brisbane should have won,missing two gettable goals before 3/4 time.
We crushed Bris Vegas when not setting the world on fire,just wondering if they've improved or Stkilda have slipped alarmingly? Stkilda still looking like their running in cement,the run and spread is just not there.To many Bakers Jones's Mcqualters Stephens for mine,with that non event Kosi in the side.
Did I hear Lyon was complaining about the ground being watered? Probably the biggest irony this year. A club who proudly boasted about watering their sty of a ground!

It was funny when Dennis C commented on the sprinklers and said it was delayed Karma.

Topdog
22-04-2011, 07:01 AM
Brisbane lost the game in the 3rd quarter with 1 kick. A terrible 20m backward pass that went to Milne? who gave it off to Gram for a goal.

I think the Saints kicked the next 5 goals after that.

Sockeye Salmon
22-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Brisbane lost the game in the 3rd quarter with 1 kick. A terrible 20m backward pass that went to Milne? who gave it off to Gram for a goal.

I think the Saints kicked the next 5 goals after that.

Footy's a bitch sometimes.

Merritt was just about BOG, too. It was the only mistake he made all match but it was a howler.

bornadog
22-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Is Brisbane better than we thought or Saints worse than we thought?

GVGjr
22-04-2011, 12:28 PM

I'd have to think it's more about the Saints going through a very bad patch. Brisbane are workman like but good sides shouldn't struggle against them.

bornadog
22-04-2011, 01:11 PM
I'd have to think it's more about the Saints going through a very bad patch. Brisbane are workman like but good sides shouldn't struggle against them.

I guess I mention it because Brisbane also put up a pretty good show against Melbourne. They really are missing Jonathan Brown.

Greystache
22-04-2011, 01:55 PM

I agree with that. They're disciplined and work hard, but they just lack the class to finish off their work. They also tend to fumble, or have one poor possession in a chain of handballs just as they're about to clear the congestion.

A cleaner team would've cut St Kilda up last night.

Topdog
22-04-2011, 03:41 PM
I guess I mention it because Brisbane also put up a pretty good show against Melbourne. They really are missing Jonathan Brown.

Melbourne are pretty shit themselves.

The Adelaide Connection
22-04-2011, 06:05 PM

..and Fremantle. Fremantle were coming off some pretty awful preseason form, but Brisbane were absolutely robbed by terrible last quarter decisions and a a horrendous injury count.

I think there should be a heap of reports to come out of this game. Probably not huge point earners, but a fair few reprimands and 1 weekers for some late hits and off the ball stuff.

LostDoggy
22-04-2011, 10:48 PM

Pretty flat performance last night, wouldn't be too impressed if I were a StKilda supporter.

The Adelaide Connection
23-04-2011, 01:56 AM
Pretty flat performance last night, wouldn't be too impressed if I were a StKilda supporter.

It's all good they can use the sprinklers as an excuse to make them feel a little better. Their insanely tough run in the next 8 or so weeks is about to really ram home how bad they are travelling though. They'd want to unslump themselves pronto.

Saints to play:
Adelaide in Adelaide
Carlton
Hawthorn
Melbourne
Freo at Patersons
Collingwood (Collingwood get the Saints after they travel to Perth the week before, like they do with us)
Us
Geelong

On current form I wouldn't pick them to win any of those.

Remi Moses
23-04-2011, 02:07 AM
Think they could get Adelaide or Melbourne, but they don't look like it in those others!

Topdog
23-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Saints lost both games in Adelaide last year. Wouldn't be expecting them to beat Adelaide over there this year.

Remi Moses
23-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Saints lost both games in Adelaide last year. Wouldn't be expecting them to beat Adelaide over there this year.

God I hope so !

lemmon
23-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Would not want to be associated with Port Adelaide at the moment...

The Bulldogs Bite
23-04-2011, 06:10 PM
What an amazing game.

Port Adelaide are beyond terrible - will they even be around in 10-15 years? Struggle for support (and players) as it is. This isn't going to help.

Subbing Rodan out? Wow, morons.

Happy Days
23-04-2011, 06:26 PM
All disgracefulness from Port Adelaide aside, that was an incredible effort from the Gold Coast; Matera, Swallow, Dixon, etc all look like they'll be absolute jets very, very soon.

Wonder if anyone will have a go at Gazza or the senior players this week?

Flamethrower
23-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Cudos to David King who predicted on 360 during the week that the Suns would beat Port Adelaide, the most schizophrenic team in AFL history.

Remi Moses
23-04-2011, 07:17 PM
What an amazing game.

Port Adelaide are beyond terrible - will they even be around in 10-15 years? Struggle for support (and players) as it is. This isn't going to help.

Subbing Rodan out? Wow, morons.

Thought the same,staggered the subbed him considering they were getting smashed in the clearances!!Think Port thought they were home,just amazed Port could be so bad after last weeks win. Unfortunately it's been Port' M.O the last few years,Gold Coast will be closer than the pundits think in terms of improvement.

comrade
23-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Yay, Robert Walls is commentating another Carlton game. What a novelty! :rolleyes:

Ghost Dog
23-04-2011, 09:08 PM
that song is bloody awful.

G-Mo77
23-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Jarrod Waite is a dead set idiot. So many times I see him trying to give cheap shots in marking contests and slinging after a tackle. He's a suspension waiting to happen.

Sockeye Salmon
23-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Adelaide were absolutely robbed.

Caelton's last two goals were from blantant Adelaide frees that the idiot umpires somehow managed to miss.

And Jarrod Waite getting a free for kicking his opponent in the balls? WTF was that?

G-Mo77
23-04-2011, 10:28 PM
And Jarrod Waite getting a free for kicking his opponent in the balls? WTF was that?

Please explain will have to be issued on that one. I'd like to hear their reason for it. Front on contact? :rolleyes:

Sockeye Salmon
23-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Please explain will have to be issued on that one. I'd like to hear their reason for it. Front on contact? :rolleyes:

The Giesch will manage to spin it somehow

The Bulldogs Bite
23-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Adelaide were absolutely robbed.

Caelton's last two goals were from blantant Adelaide frees that the idiot umpires somehow managed to miss.

Worst decision I've ever seen.

What could possibly be the reasoning?

Remi Moses
23-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Gee Carlton have problems at key back posts,should have iced the game early.
Let the door way open for to long and in the end were fortunate. That Waite free was just bizarre should have been the other way. Carlton bottom part of the eight and The Crows will be lucky to get there(Hmmm despite some pundits having them top 4 after round 1):rolleyes:

azabob
23-04-2011, 10:48 PM
How good is Brandon Matera? His calmness in front of goal is amazingly good.

Ghost Dog
23-04-2011, 10:49 PM

He often pulls that move I've noticed. Seen it in more than a few games.
Some very strange umpiring decisions.
Walker gives the Blues some joy but still glad we didn't draft him.

chef
24-04-2011, 07:39 AM
He often pulls that move I've noticed. Seen it in more than a few games.
Some very strange umpiring decisions.
Walker gives the Blues some joy but still glad we didn't draft him.

He's exactly what we need in our forward line and if he hadn't played so well in the final against the Swans last year he'd be a Dog right now.

Hotdog60
24-04-2011, 08:00 AM
He's exactly what we need in our forward line and if he hadn't played so well in the final against the Swans last year he'd be a Dog right now.

Early in the season Walker was just average, but he seems to be getting better as the season rolls on. Might have been a handy pick up, on the flip side it we would have lost Josh Hill who looks like a renewed player.

LostDoggy
24-04-2011, 10:01 AM
It's a lovely weekend in Adelaide

ledge
24-04-2011, 10:17 AM
It's a lovely weekend in Adelaide

And on the Gold Coast.

DOG GOD
24-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Great win by the gold coast. Great to see. They have some dead set guns in waiting. Swallow ahould his true class in the last qtr. Once the "boys" turn to men, look out.

comrade
24-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Great win by the gold coast. Great to see. They have some dead set guns in waiting. Swallow ahould his true class in the last qtr. Once the "boys" turn to men, look out.

Yep, from about 2013/14 they'll be top 4 for five years running and they should have the cream to win at least a couple of flags.

I'm getting more disillusioned with the AFL with every passing week.

jazzadogs
24-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Yep, from about 2013/14 they'll be top 4 for five years running and they should have the cream to win at least a couple of flags.

I'm getting more disillusioned with the AFL with every passing week.
Only issue could be keeping hold of all of them once they become men, and salary cap pressure mounts.

Although you would imagine that they'll get pretty good players/picks in return for any trade, so it won't make much difference.

mjp
24-04-2011, 07:33 PM

Free kick to Martin that gifted Richmond the game wasn't much better...two close ones, two terrible umpiring decisions that really influenced the result. I am a 'one decision doesn't matter' type of footy supporter but enough is enough this weekend.

Remi Moses
24-04-2011, 07:36 PM
What a gun Martin is. Norf's lack of class in the back 6 is a standout,Norf on the bottom behind Gold Coast :D

Remi Moses
24-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Free kick to Martin that gifted Richmond the game wasn't much better...two close ones, two terrible umpiring decisions that really influenced the result. I am a 'one decision doesn't matter' type of footy supporter but enough is enough this weekend.

Even worse than the Montagna decision.It's a trend ducking the head and getting a free,it's time for some commonsense please

Sedat
24-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Apparently Norf have all these great kids - half a dozen Brownlow medallists in waiting just in the midfield alone. Harvey goes off and they go to water.

Go_Dogs
25-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Geez Dustin Martin is an impressive youngster.

Mantis
25-04-2011, 08:51 AM
You leave the country for less than a week and GC win a game.

What's going on??

Go_Dogs
25-04-2011, 08:56 AM
You leave the country for less than a week and GC win a game.

What's going on??

Well, they did play the most spineless team running around.

Bit of a shame we don't get to play Port twice this year really....

dog town
25-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Apparently Norf have all these great kids - half a dozen Brownlow medallists in waiting just in the midfield alone. Harvey goes off and they go to water. I have been calling Brad Scott the king of spin for a long time. Spends half his press conferences making excuses or telling us the age of his list, how many inside 50s they had or that they are a developing group. Right from his first press conference he has gone about transforming image but if the footy team doesnt perform its all empty propaganda.

SlimPickens
25-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Geez Dustin Martin is an impressive youngster.

Absolute gun, so strong. Plays like a 100 game player, Richmond have a beauty there.

SlimPickens
25-04-2011, 09:42 AM
I have been calling Brad Scott the king of spin for a long time. Spends half his press conferences making excuses or telling us the age of his list, how many inside 50s they had or that they are a developing group. Right from his first press conference he has gone about transforming image but if the footy team doesnt perform its all empty propaganda.

North are in big trouble, their deffence go to water as soon as any pressure is put on. I couldn't believe the inability of Thompson and Grima to position themselves under the high ball. Seriously, they made Brad Miller look like a good footballer.

Way too many one paced mids, who can't kick the ball. I would be really pissed if i were a supporter.

Not to mention that for a home game yesterday, they were easily out numbered by the tiger supporters. At an estimate i reckon the members area on the level 1 wing was 50% full.

GVGjr
25-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Well, they did play the most spineless team running around.

Bit of a shame we don't get to play Port twice this year really....

A mate of mine thinks Port are the Pakistan of the AFL.

KT31
26-04-2011, 01:14 AM
A mate of mine thinks Port are the Pakistan of the AFL.

;);) say no more !!

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Someone explain how at one stage this weekend one team played only 3 game while others had played 5? The fixture is BS. We should have been first up this week not second last.

Topdog
26-04-2011, 09:51 AM
What difference does it make? The ladder in the middle of a round of games doesn't matter.

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 10:20 AM
What difference does it make? The ladder in the middle of a round of games doesn't matter.

How is it fair system when a number of teams play 5 games when but only 1 plays 3 in the same time? I understand 1 game difference in a uneven comp but 2? Priority should be to get teams coming off the bye back on the field asap.
We get a 16 day break followed by a 6 day break on top of a very late interstate game with a red eye flight back.
We should have played Saturday. It matters a great deal.

Remi Moses
26-04-2011, 04:33 PM
North are in big trouble, their deffence go to water as soon as any pressure is put on. I couldn't believe the inability of Thompson and Grima to position themselves under the high ball. Seriously, they made Brad Miller look like a good footballer.

Way too many one paced mids, who can't kick the ball. I would be really pissed if i were a supporter.

Not to mention that for a home game yesterday, they were easily out numbered by the tiger supporters. At an estimate i reckon the members area on the level 1 wing was 50% full.

Noticed the lack of Norf support,I'm sure they'll blame the draw,Easter or some lame excuse.
I made a rare venture to the dark side(Big Footy) after the Praccy match against them and got involved in a discussion about Lindsay Thomas. They were adamant he'd be an elite player this season and my point was he's inconsistent and flakey.Still the same Thomas rag dolled by an 18 Y/o and not much ticker

Remi Moses
26-04-2011, 04:39 PM
For crying out loud! Got all excited thinking Hawks v Cats was going to be live, with a 2.40 start and coverage starting at 2.30. But of course forgot the half hour b/s and start at 3.
Stick it 7 :mad:

LostDoggy
27-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Last week the AFL puffed out their chest on betting in the AFL. However not a word yet on how GC beat Port in Adelaide? Surely that deserves an enquiry. Maybe Port are like Pakistan in more ways that one?
Also how some dodgy decisions influenced results this weekend.