PDA

View Full Version : Round #6 Match Committee

GVGjr
25-04-2011, 12:42 PM
If you were on the Match Committee who would the likely ins and outs for the round 6 game be against the all conquering Collingwood Magpies?

Critical game for us to really gauge where we are at.

GVGjr
26-04-2011, 12:35 AM
Lets take a breath and hear your thoughts

The Bulldogs Bite
26-04-2011, 12:40 AM
Out: Hudson
In: Minson

And that's just to start.

Hudson is finished.

GVGjr
26-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Out: Hudson
In: Minson

And that's just to start.

Hudson is finished.

I reckon you are too harsh there TBB. He got beaten by a quality opponent but it was some decision making and skill errors that really let him down tonight.
I can't write him off.

comrade
26-04-2011, 12:44 AM
Minson needs to come in. Roughy was a non factor tonight but I think his height will cause some head aches for the Pies backline.

Huddo battled away and had a much better second half (though Sandilands got on top in that critical five minute burst in the last qtr). I reckon he'd need a spell after doing the vast majority of the ruck work.

Hall didn't look right and it seems Cooney is either carrying, or very rusty. Both are critical to our chances but if they're not 100%, Collingwood will eat them up.

G-Mo77
26-04-2011, 12:44 AM
Put out the VFL squad. Very little chance of even getting withing 8 goals with this team.

Sorry, pessimistic mode right now.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-04-2011, 12:50 AM
In: Minson, Giansiracusa
Out: Roughead, Wallis

Grant is fortunate that Liam Jones didn't have a big game for Willy on the weekend.

Rocco Jones
26-04-2011, 12:52 AM
It's funny how Roughead and Hudson are rated at the moment. I am the godfather of playing mobile ruckmen as our 2nd ruck on here but seems like most are looking for any reason to rate Roughead/have a go at Hudson.

Sub rule and modern footy really don't suit our ruck set up. Hudson and Minson are both miles ahead of ruckmen and overall players really but Roughead's package suits the 2nd ruck role a bit more. I think Roughead's short term stocks are very overrated.

comrade
26-04-2011, 12:57 AM
It's funny how Roughead and Hudson are rated at the moment. I am the godfather of playing mobile ruckmen as our 2nd ruck on here but seems like most are looking for any reason to rate Roughead/have a go at Hudson.

Sub rule and modern footy really don't suit our ruck set up. Hudson and Minson are both miles ahead of ruckmen and overall players really but Roughead's package suits the 2nd ruck role a bit more. I think Roughead's short term stocks are very overrated.

He had a poor game after showing plenty against Gold Coast.

Collingwood is the perfect team to play Roughy as he'll be rucking against Brown mostly and the Collingwood defence does look shaky under the deep, high ball - his height can be a factor (if we can get the ball down there).

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 12:58 AM
In: Minson, Giansiracusa
Out: Roughead, Wallis

Grant is fortunate that Liam Jones didn't have a big game for Willy on the weekend.

Agree with this except give Wallis a fair go, not as a sub. Hill out instead for me (even though he had a decent first half, I expected him to get subbed by 3QT)

AndrewP6
26-04-2011, 01:00 AM
I'd say Grant, for Gia if he's right. He needs time at Willi, just didn't look up to it for much of it (late goal notwithstanding). Roughy for Willlbur. Give Will the chance, he's been tearing it up apparently.

I'd put money on a couple of our lads carrying. To my eyes, Baz didn't look right tonight, commentators mentioned possibly a groin or hammy. Coons looks like Higgins did last year, doesn't appear to be playing with any "zip".

comrade
26-04-2011, 01:01 AM
Agree with this except give Wallis a fair go, not as a sub. Hill out instead for me (even though he had a decent first half, I expected him to get subbed by 3QT)

Hill out?

Have you watched us play at all this year?

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 01:07 AM
Hill out?

Of course. I've only thrown his name up because I don't think you can drop Wallis after giving him one quarter, and if Gia must come in who else goes out?

Edit: Who do you think would have been subbed for Wallis in the last quarter if Williams hadn't landed awkwardly...would have to look at both Grant & Hill first.

bornadog
26-04-2011, 01:08 AM
Hill out?

Hill barely touched it in the second half and only managed 10 disposals for the game, very poor effort today.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-04-2011, 01:09 AM
Of course. I've only thrown his name up because I don't think you can drop Wallis after giving him one quarter, and if Gia must come in who else goes out?

Wallis will get his chance. He only came in due to Giansiracusa going out, and whilst he didn't let himself down, I don't think we can add another mid-paced midfielder to our team. And the balance of trading Wallis in for Hill out, doesn't work.

Wallis got a taste, can go back to Willy, work hard, and when the next opportunity to come in arises, so be it.

Before I Die
26-04-2011, 01:10 AM
He had a poor game after showing plenty against Gold Coast.

Collingwood is the perfect team to play Roughy as he'll be rucking against Brown mostly and the Collingwood defence does look shaky under the deep, high ball - his height can be a factor (if we can get the ball down there).

I went to the Collingwood Vs Essendon game today. Essesndon continually bombed the ball long to their tall forwards and the Collingwood defence owned them. They just simply punched the ball away and their runners cleared it. Unless you deem our tall forwards to be better pack marks than Ryder, Hille, Bellchanmbers and Hurley, I wouldn't recommend going down this path.

comrade
26-04-2011, 01:10 AM
Hill barely touched it in the second half and only managed 10 disposals for the game, very poor effort today.

Yep, had a stinker but there's no way he's getting dropped for next week. His versatility makes him one of our most important players.

Rocco Jones
26-04-2011, 01:11 AM
Yep, had a stinker but there's no way he's getting dropped for next week. His versatility makes him one of our most important players.

Agreed. Having Wood and Shaggy out at the same time means versatility is especially important.

comrade
26-04-2011, 01:14 AM
I went to the Collingwood Vs Essendon game today. Essesndon continually bombed the ball long to their tall forwards and the Collingwood defence owned them. They just simply punched the ball away and their runners cleared it. Unless you deem our tall forwards to be better pack marks than Ryder, Hille, Bellchanmbers and Hurley, I wouldn't recommend going down this path.

Indiscriminate bombing isn't the answer. Isolating the defenders and making the right decisions kicking into the 50 so we can utilize Roughy's height deep is the key - unfortunately, our delivery this year has been woeful.

That being said, the game I watched today saw Crameri, Hille and Bellechambers all taking strong marks one out against a Collingwood defender. Ryder had a stinker but even he had a golden opportunity to take a mark in the goal square one on one in the last qtr and he just dropped it.

Hotdog60
26-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Out: Roughead, Grant, Liberatore
In: Minson, Djerrkura, Giansiracusa

Minson has been in good form for the last few weeks and may give us a bit more than Roughead at the moment and can give Hudson more of a break, Gia will be a given and Grant makes way for him.

Libba has been good but against the Pies we may want a bit more leg speed and maybe give Wallis a chance and let Tom have a rest.

Sedat
26-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Hudson is finished.
The sub rule has done him no favours. I'm reticent to label him finished but it is trending that way.

I'm about to throw a big motza-ball out there but is Hall finished? Father time has done him no favours from 2010 to 2011 and he is really starting to look his age, unlike last season when he was flying. The lack of defensive efforts are the sign for me that he is really struggling with the demands of the modern game. Gee I hope he is carrying a niggle :(

The Pie Man
26-04-2011, 01:20 AM
The sub rule has done him no favours. I'm reticent to label him finished but it is trending that way.

I'm about to throw a big motza-ball out there but is Hall finished? Father time has done him no favours from 2010 to 2011 and he is really starting to look his age, unlike last season when he was flying. The lack of defensive efforts are the sign for me that he is really struggling with the demands of the modern game. Gee I hope he is carrying a niggle :(

It was pretty ugly from Hall tonight, but we play the ball into him so dumb at times. He draws 2-3 defenders regularly, which would serve a great purpose if we could only spot up the other player(s) that are surely free due said crowd Hall attracts. Yet we stil try to put it on his head.

Was he always that bad below his knees though?

ReLoad
26-04-2011, 01:23 AM
Out: Hall, Grant, Roughhead
In: Minson, Giansiracusa, Djerk.

Wallis to play and Djerk to be the sub.

Watch this space on Williams's injury as well, may not be right.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-04-2011, 01:25 AM

Hudson tried hard (particularly in the second half) but he simply can't influence contests/games like he used to. Plus, his decision making and disposal is extremely poor. In that last few minutes, he handballed to the kid who kicked a point to draw level. He's not the only one who does this though. Boyd and Cross regularly push the ball out to nobody (or the opposition). It's just dumb footy. Plus, Hudson is getting murdered around the ground. He can't keep up physically.

You could be right with Hall. He hasn't looked good this season, and was beyond dreadful tonight. Might be carrying something, but the signs aren't great.

The Coon Dog
26-04-2011, 01:25 AM
I sound like Mark Robinson when I say this, but if Gia plays, the Bulldogs win!

He's got to come in next week. Use him defensively on Heath Shaw. Who does he replace though? Wallis is the obvious name, but I wouldn't do that to the kid. Tough one, not sure at the moment.

I'm not convinced Hudson can play 2 games with a 5.5 day break & travelling back from Perth. For mine, he'd be replaced by Minson.

The Pie Man
26-04-2011, 01:31 AM

He's got to come in next week. Use him defensively on Heath Shaw. Who does he replace though? Wallis is the obvious name, but I wouldn't do that to the kid. Tough one, not sure at the moment.

I'm not convinced Hudson can play 2 games with a 5.5 day break & travelling back from Perth. For mine, he'd be replaced by Minson.

Depsite the 2 goals and 18 touches, you feel Grant may come under some scrutiny - I wonder if Williams is ok as well.

Gia has to come in for mine as well, no question - will he have the pace to go with Shaw?

Happy Days
26-04-2011, 01:32 AM
Out: Stack, Roughhead

In: Minson, Gia

Say what you want about Stack playing okay tonight, I can't cop a player getting one in 4 decisions right. He is not an AFL standard player right now. His game tonight really underlined how valuable the ability to make a quality decision is.

Hudson wasn't as bad as some are making it out to be; Sandilands is immense, and Roughy gave him no help. Hudson was okay around the ground, and don't for a second think he didn't have a hand in our clearance work with his body-on-body stuff with Sandi, or his desperation at ground level. He's still the number one ruck.

As per Roughy, he had an absolute mare, would do well for a spell. Plus, Big Will's on fire, and having two legitimate, big bodied rucks might actually give us some sembalence of an advantage over Collingwood in at least one area.

Gia may be a chance to play Stack's role off the back flank. He's very composed, and I don't think that he and Higgins should both play on the half forward line, with the limited pressure they both provide.

AndrewP6
26-04-2011, 01:39 AM

Was mentioned as he went to the bench, a possible groin or hamstring injury. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

AndrewP6
26-04-2011, 01:40 AM
It was pretty ugly from Hall tonight, but we play the ball into him so dumb at times. He draws 2-3 defenders regularly, which would serve a great purpose if we could only spot up the other player(s) that are surely free due said crowd Hall attracts. Yet we stil try to put it on his head.

Was he always that bad below his knees though?

This really annoys me, they've had plenty of time to adjust to having him, and they can't work out "If Baz has 3 on him, someone must be free" :mad:

lemmon
26-04-2011, 01:54 AM
Out- Roughead, Grant
In- Minson, Gia

Wallis starts and Higgins to sub, first three quarters were simply not good enough from a guy of his talent

jazzadogs
26-04-2011, 01:58 AM
Out- Roughead, Grant
In- Minson, Gia

Wallis starts and Higgins to sub, first three quarters were simply not good enough from a guy of his talent
Same ins and outs, but Gia to be the sub. I posted this idea a few weeks ago, and I think it would work well. Not so much a burst player, but someone who won't be exposed for speed so much late in a game.

Wallis to start and hopefully play out the match. Wouldn't be upset to see Addison come in, possibly for Stack (not saying he played badly, but he's still in our bottom 6 players and these can be the difference).

KT31
26-04-2011, 02:06 AM
Same ins and outs, but Gia to be the sub. I posted this idea a few weeks ago, and I think it would work well. Not so much a burst player, but someone who won't be exposed for speed so much late in a game.

Wallis to start and hopefully play out the match. Wouldn't be upset to see Addison come in, possibly for Stack (not saying he played badly, but he's still in our bottom 6 players and these can be the difference).

Would be sacrifciing a kid against the Pies.
Need more experiance.

SonofScray
26-04-2011, 02:21 AM
I think Minson deserves a gig on the back of some strong VFL performances and some average games from our current ruck division. He has shown some real character in how he has handled the past few weeks.

I'd be inclined to give Wallis a decent run as well, which could turn ugly but sometimes you just have to reward a kid and give them their shot, even if it means being thrown in the deep end.

jazzadogs
26-04-2011, 02:24 AM
Would be sacrifciing a kid against the Pies.
Need more experiance.
I think bringing him in for a quarter of football then dropping him sends the wrong message. Not only that, but we have no idea how he would actually cope in the high-pressure of the Collingwood game plan.

Liberatore has only played 3 more games, are we going to drop him too?

KT31
26-04-2011, 02:26 AM
I think Minson deserves a gig on the back of some strong VFL performances and some average games from our current ruck division. He has shown some real character in how he has handled the past few weeks.

I'd be inclined to give Wallis a decent run as well, which could turn ugly but sometimes you just have to reward a kid and give them their shot, even if it means being thrown in the deep end.

How many kjids can we support.
Libba a tad out of sorts last couple, still deserves a spot.
First time I have seen Wallis, but IMO he needs more time.

Evel
26-04-2011, 02:31 AM
Hi all,

My suggested changes are:

Ins: Gia (if fit), DJ, Minson

- Gia has his critics, but he has experience and is a smart footballer, he has a place in the team.
- DJ (I apologise for laziness in spelling) has shown a bit this year and has pace, works hard and chases. He can kick a goal as well. He will run forward to present and is prepared to go the other way.
- Minson has done all that could be asked and deserves the chance to show if he's improved his game. His ruckwork stacks up and he does have that raw aggressiveness.

Outs:
- Liberatore. Still young, will get another go this year, but feel the team is too one paced. The least experienced player makes way while Cross, Boyd, Ward, Picken are still in the side.
- Hall. Because I think he's injured and needs a rest. Minson will have to play that forward presence like he did in 2009. This means Grant stays in.
- Will edit a third out in later.

jazzadogs
26-04-2011, 02:36 AM
How many kjids can we support.
Libba a tad out of sorts last couple, still deserves a spot.
First time I have seen Wallis, but IMO he needs more time.
So based on seeing Wallis for not even a full quarter of football, when he barely got a chance to show anything, you've made the decision that he needs more time?

IMO, he was impressive in the time he got. I'd prefer he gets a taste of footy against a team like Collingwood now, than in the finals ala Hooper.

Sedat
26-04-2011, 02:45 AM
This really annoys me, they've had plenty of time to adjust to having him, and they can't work out "If Baz has 3 on him, someone must be free" :mad:
There was some poor delivery to him but he also missed some relatively easy marks on the lead tonight as well. What concerns me is that his workrate when the ball hits the deck has been non-existent this season. He was an animal in this area last year for us and also during his time at Sydney. When you seee McPharlin run around and away from him with ease, it says to me that his body (age or injury or both) is now allowing him to do what his mind wants him to do. I'm concerned for the big fella.

Perhaps we can use him up the ground on occasions to spend some time on the ball just to free him up and get him involved in the play. He's not the worst relief ruckman going around.

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 02:48 AM

I hadn't noticed that.

We've really got to play the guy more in September.

AndrewP6
26-04-2011, 03:10 AM
There was some poor delivery to him but he also missed some relatively easy marks on the lead tonight as well. What concerns me is that his workrate when the ball hits the deck has been non-existent this season. He was an animal in this area last year for us and also during his time at Sydney. When you seee McPharlin run around and away from him with ease, it says to me that his body (age or injury or both) is now allowing him to do what his mind wants him to do. I'm concerned for the big fella.

Perhaps we can use him up the ground on occasions to spend some time on the ball just to free him up and get him involved in the play. He's not the worst relief ruckman going around.

Agreed, he doesn't look the same, I think he's carrying. Didn't look bad a few weeks back. I notice he's been doing some of the forward ruck work. Perhaps that's been done because of his mobility not being right.

I really hope he/they can get it sorted...

AndrewP6
26-04-2011, 03:32 AM
Eade in the post-game presser, indicated "3 or 4" changes for next week, due to 'soreness'. Mentioned Tommygun's back spasms being the reason he was taken off, the original plan was to sub someone else for Wallis. I'll hazard a guess that Baz and Tom will miss next week, plus Grant.

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 08:03 AM
If Williams misses Mulligan straight swap - has been in the best for Willy the last 2 weeks. Minson must be close and maybe Hooper. Gia if he is fit could also comeback in.

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Out: Stack, Roughhead

In: Minson, Gia

Say what you want about Stack playing okay tonight, I can't cop a player getting one in 4 decisions right.
Scapegoat syndrome. Where did you pluck this magic 1 in 4 figure from? I doubt the stats say that. It wasnt that difficult to see we had many worse than stack.

the banker
26-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Out Hudson Grant Libba

In Gia Will DJ

Go_Dogs
26-04-2011, 10:02 AM

I know Gia has played this role before, but I'd really like to see Sherman have a crack at it. Very quick, and good defensively (which was an area that I didn't know he was strong in before he came across). He could also be very damaging going the other way if Shaw is trying to hard to get into space.

Definitely like Gia back in the side though.

The Coon Dog
26-04-2011, 10:15 AM
I hadn't noticed that.

We've really got to play the guy more in September.

Sorry, I should have been clearer, I was referring to the game last night & the way it unfolded. Looking back with the benefit of hindsight, I think Gia would have made a difference to the result.

Desipura
26-04-2011, 10:23 AM

No surprise I disagree, coming off a hammy twinge and his lack of pace is a recipe for disaster.

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Out: Williams ( injury ),Lake ( injury ), Hudson ( rested )

In: Minson , anyone tall enough and strong enough to play in the backline

How much pressure we can apply to Collingwoods ball movement will determine our place in the 8

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Out: Williams ( injury ),Lake ( injury ), Hudson ( rested )

If thats true we are very chance this week. First I heard about it.

bornadog
26-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Scapegoat syndrome. Where did you pluck this magic 1 in 4 figure from? I doubt the stats say that. It wasnt that difficult to see we had many worse than stack.

Yes Chops unbelievable Stacks name comes up yet again. I thought he played well last night. How many times did he punch the ball out of bounds when Freo were attacking and looking dangerous.

SlimPickens
26-04-2011, 11:26 AM
If Williams misses Mulligan straight swap - has been in the best for Willy the last 2 weeks. Minson must be close and maybe Hooper. Gia if he is fit could also comeback in.

Don't believe what you read, Mulligan has been ordinary at best the last few weeks. His direct opponents combined for 11 goals on the weekend. I suspect probably 7-8 were kicked on Mulligan.

G-Mo77
26-04-2011, 11:32 AM
I've already booked my tickets for next week and going with a mate of mine who is Collingwood. It's going to be a horrible Sunday evening.

Hard to see Williams getting up, shouldn't have played him to begin with.

Hall looks injured and has been carrying something since the Brisbane game. Could be gone this week.

Lake. What happened to Lake?

EasternWest
26-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Yes Chops unbelievable Stacks name comes up yet again. I thought he played well last night. How many times did he punch the ball out of bounds when Freo were attacking and looking dangerous.

Made one bad mistake that was costly so he gets mentioned, which is fair enough. Wouldn't drop him though, I only saw half the game and thought he was fine otherwise.

Desipura
26-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Who played on Van Berlo?

Flamethrower
26-04-2011, 11:53 AM
I would rest Barry Hall whether he is injured or not and give Jarrad Grant a go at Full Forward, with Brian Lake to back him up if things go pear shaped for Merlin. We are going to lose by 10+ anyway so why not experiment a little.

Reward Big Willie for his form at Willy too.

Desipura
26-04-2011, 12:02 PM
In Addison, Minson and Reid
Out Cross, Huddo and Grant

bornadog
26-04-2011, 12:08 PM
In Addison, Minson and Reid
Out Cross, Huddo and Grant

Why Cross? He played well last night, more of a tagging role. I don't think Reid is up to it.

Happy Days
26-04-2011, 12:25 PM

Twice, given.

1 in 4 might have been hyperbollic and in anger, but I stand by his decision making is not good enough. His 53% disposal efficiency will back that up (as opposed to Boyd, who was supposedly abhorrent with his ball use, going at 60%). The back flank is such an important position for good ball use, and we don't get that with Brennan.

He effected two contests out on the wing, which was a good thing. But the negatives still outweigh the positives.

Desipura
26-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Why Cross? He played well last night, more of a tagging role. I don't think Reid is up to it.

Who did he tag?
I would be tempted to make a left field selection and choose Skinner. Our forward line is way too predictable.
Having said that if Hall does not play it changes everything and we don't just rely on him to score goals

bornadog
26-04-2011, 12:51 PM
1 in 4 might have been hyperbollic and in anger, but I stand by his decision making is not good enough. His 53% disposal efficiency will back that up (as opposed to Boyd, who was supposedly abhorrent with his ball use, going at 60%). The back flank is such an important position for good ball use, and we don't get that with Brennan.

He effected two contests out on the wing, which was a good thing. But the negatives still outweigh the positives.

Did you make up the 53% as well?

How many times did you call for Harbrow to be dropped last year when his kicking efficiency was sitting at 37%?

Lets face it Stack is a whipping boy. The guy has played 15 games and is still learning and getting better all the time. I think the HBF is his position. Take your blinkers off, give the guy some slack and let him develop. If we don't develop some new blood we are in serious trouble in the next few years.

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 01:19 PM
I'd say Grant, for Gia if he's right. He needs time at Willi, just didn't look up to it for much of it (late goal notwithstanding). Roughy for Willlbur. Give Will the chance, he's been tearing it up apparently.

I'd put money on a couple of our lads carrying. To my eyes, Baz didn't look right tonight, commentators mentioned possibly a groin or hammy. Coons looks like Higgins did last year, doesn't appear to be playing with any "zip".

I thought Cooney worked and ran pretty hard last night. I thought he was very "zippy" as you would put it. I recall a few dashes here and there, one down the camera side wing leaving a few people for dead which resulted in him kicking it out of bounds.
What let him down and resulted in him having a stinker of a game was his disposal, to the team and to the Goals.

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 01:32 PM
If Williams doesn't come up...who do we replace him with?

Can Morris & Lake cover Cloke & Dawes? Edit: Who can cover Cloke? I mean.

Someone suggested Lake to be dropped due to injury? He's injured? Or maybe one who Rocket said 'Pulled up sore' :confused:

Ghost Dog
26-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Great learning opportunity for a young player awaits.

GVGjr
26-04-2011, 01:38 PM
If Williams doesn't come up...who do we replace him with?

Can Morris & Lake cover Cloke & Dawes? Edit: Who can cover Cloke? I mean.

Someone suggested Lake to be dropped due to injury? He's injured? Or maybe one who Rocket said 'Pulled up sore' :confused:

I think the job on Dawes will be given to Markovic. That will leave Lake on Cloke.

Ideally Morris has to keep playing on the smaller guys but he might be needed if the Pies push Brown forward as well.

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 02:08 PM
I think the job on Dawes will be given to Markovic. That will leave Lake on Cloke.

Ideally Morris has to keep playing on the smaller guys but he might be needed if the Pies push Brown forward as well.

We will only have Markovic as the tall in the backline , Williams( back related hamstring ) and Lake ( ankle ) will miss, Morris, Murphy, Stack etc will have some assistance from who ever we can find who's tall enough and strong enough , Jones could play in the backline but with Hall also missing he will play forward, so we will have a small backline and a small forward line and a midfield with a low percentage of effective disposals , bugger damn and blast, slaughteration

azabob
26-04-2011, 02:31 PM
I didn't see the game last night. Could it be possible that both Hudson and Roughead both miss and Minson and Barlow come in? Granted Barlow hasn't set the world on fire but can he run with Brown when he is rucking?

On the upside Jolly will also be very tired and sore after yesterday's game.

Happy Days
26-04-2011, 02:34 PM

How many times did you call for Harbrow to be dropped last year when his kicking efficiency was sitting at 37%?

Lets face it Stack is a whipping boy. The guy has played 15 games and is still learning and getting better all the time. I think the HBF is his position. Take your blinkers off, give the guy some slack and let him develop. If we don't develop some new blood we are in serious trouble in the next few years.

No, got it from the afl website...

You can call it having blinkers on if you want, but do you seriously think that Stack is in this side when Wood, who is younger than Stack, is around?

Developing players is all well and good, but only if its worth our time to do it. If we're serious about challenging this year, then we'll let the development happen in the VFL, and put the best 22 players out there each week, of which Stack is not a part.

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 02:36 PM
For years alot of people on here talk about introducing new/young players into the side and dropping the veteran players giving the younger ones their spot etc.
I am all for development but I wonder if someone like Vezspremi/ Moles/ Djerrkura/ Minson/ Addison would have been a difference last night rather than going with Wallis/ Libba/ Stack/ Roughead?? And anyone else I have missed.
I don't mean all of the above should have been substituded for one another, but maybe don't go in as inexperienced as they did. I know for sure Collingwood will exploit the newbies every chance they get next week. I thought a few of them looked a bit lost last night.????
(before anyone jumps down my throat I'm not saying Ves, Mol, DJ, Min are veterans they just have more experience in football).

SydneyD
26-04-2011, 02:44 PM
If it wasnt Collingwood next week -id drop Murphy as a matter of principle -kicking the ball out on the full twice when under no pressure-inexusable from a senior player . Also id like to see Lake given the next 4 weeks at Centre half forward -(not 10 minute cameos )hes got a great pair of hands and is agile -we have needed a big strong centre half forward for years.

Before I Die
26-04-2011, 02:46 PM
We will only have Markovic as the tall in the backline , Williams( back related hamstring ) and Lake ( ankle ) will miss, Morris, Murphy, Stack etc will have some assistance from who ever we can find who's tall enough and strong enough , Jones could play in the backline but with Hall also missing he will play forward, so we will have a small backline and a small forward line and a midfield with a low percentage of effective disposals , bugger damn and blast, slaughteration

What is your source for this? Granted he played poorly, but have there been any official injury reports? Do you have a reliable source or are you making definitive statements based purely on speculation?

The same question could be asked of your statement regarding Hall, though I acknowledge he did look sore.

bornadog
26-04-2011, 02:51 PM
(before anyone jumps down my throat I'm not saying Ves, Mol, DJ, Min are veterans they just have more experience in football).

Vez has a broken finger and out for 4 weeks, plus his grand total of games is 11, Moles can't get a kick at VFL level, DJ has played 6 AFL games in his life. Maybe Minson ?

HM, I think you need to rethink your statement.

GVGjr
26-04-2011, 02:55 PM

Can you please make some effort to type the players names rather than just a number of abbreviations?

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Vez has a broken finger and out for 4 weeks, plus his grand total of games is 11, Moles can't get a kick at VFL level, DJ has played 6 AFL games in his life. Maybe Minson ?

HM, I think you need to rethink your statement.

Addison?
Didn't know about Vez finger.
What I was getting at is they aren't teenagers. not far into their 20s but never the less not teenagers.

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Can you please make some effort to type the players names rather than just a number of abbreviations?

Why?
I typed them out in the post, above is just within the bracketed area.

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 03:06 PM
What is your source for this? Granted he played poorly, but have there been any official injury reports? Do you have a reliable source or are you making definitive statements based purely on speculation?

The same question could be asked of your statement regarding Hall, though I acknowledge he did look sore.

Lake rolled his ankle in a marking contest when he was switched forward ,will be assessed for ligament damage, no point risking him, he will miss 1 week

Williams has back related hamstring tightness, no point risking him, he will miss 1 week

Hall has back, hip and ankle soreness , no point risking him, he will miss 1 week

Yes, we will know more once they have been assessed but the early reports are that all three will miss 1 week

bornadog
26-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Lake rolled his ankle in a marking contest when he was switched forward ,will be assessed for ligament damage, no point risking him, he will miss 1 week

Williams has back related hamstring tightness, no point risking him, he will miss 1 week

Hall has back, hip and ankle soreness , no point risking him, he will miss 1 week

Yes, we will know more once they have been assessed but the early reports are that all three will miss 1 week

That will be a disaster for next weeks game.

Mantis
26-04-2011, 03:37 PM

That old chestnut??

BTW (to all), how did Gilbee go? Heard he wasn't the best.... How long do we persist with him?

bornadog
26-04-2011, 03:43 PM
That old chestnut??

Only brought that up because I am trying to show that posters have whipping boys, in this case Stack, yet never call for others to be dropped when they make a mistake.

BTW (to all), how did Gilbee go? Heard he wasn't the best.... How long do we persist with him?

I was disappointed with his kicking last night. Several times he had the opportunity to deliver to someone on the lead in the forward 50 and kicked it too wide. Also his effort to kick a goal in the first term was terrible when he kicked it along the ground, yet he kicked a beautiful 55 metre snap.

He has definitely lost that run and carry he use to have and I think he is a concern at the moment.

anfo27
26-04-2011, 03:45 PM
That old chestnut??

Heard he didn't train most of the week so that might have something to do with his performance. He missed 2 running shots from 50m in the first 5 minutes which should be his bread & butter. Played forward for most of the game and didn't do much. Went back and did some good spoils and hit a few targets but overall a poor game i reckon.

mjp
26-04-2011, 04:30 PM

Hopefully a better source than the one which led the same poster to state categorically that Williams was out for the Fremantle game a week or so back...

...and by the way, if you REALLY know, then why would you post it on the internet???

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Hopefully a better source than the one which led the same poster to state categorically that Williams was out for the Fremantle game a week or so back...

...and by the way, if you REALLY know, then why would you post it on the internet???

Williams was ruled out for the Fremantle game but had a late medical and was cleared to play, Rocket did'nt want to risk him if he wasn't right but as I said he was cleared to play

What else do you want to complain about, Global cooling, the price of first season Mangoes, chewing gum on the carpet ???

If a player is ruled out for a game but has a late medical and is cleared to play , I am going to post that the player is not listed to play , late medical clearance to play is Club information , the availability for Williams, Lake and Hall to play next week will be based on a late medical clearance, the information at the moment is that all three will miss one week

Bulldog Joe
26-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Williams was ruled out for the Fremantle game but had a late medical and was cleared to play, Rocket did'nt want to risk him if he wasn't right but as I said he was cleared to play

If a player is ruled out for a game but has a late medical and is cleared to play , I am going to post that the player is not listed to play , late medical clearance to play is Club information , the availability for Williams, Lake and Hall to play next week will be based on a late medical clearance, the information at the moment is that all three will miss one week

Well I see it as fair enough when things are posted as FACT it should be 100% true and verifiable.

I suggest things that may occur be treated as possible.

What you are now posting is that something previously listed as fact is yet to be determined and subject to test.

At worst they are considered doubtful at this point on the evidence you provide.

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 05:19 PM
radio ABC 774/ SEN, media, journalists , post match interviews etc take your pick !

Just accept the fact that the information AT THE MOMENT is that all three will miss one week , as I said their availability to play WILL be based on a late medical clearance, as I said that is Club information , if a player is not listed to play I will post that the player is not listed to play, if that same player has had a late medical clearance to play we only see that when the final team list is made , Club medical information is Club information

bornadog
26-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Well I see it as fair enough when things are posted as FACT it should be 100% true and verifiable.

I suggest things that may occur be treated as possible.

What you are now posting is that something previously listed as fact is yet to be determined and subject to test.

At worst they are considered doubtful at this point on the evidence you provide.

radio ABC 774/ SEN, media, journalists , post match interviews etc take your pick !

Just accept the fact that the information AT THE MOMENT is that all three will miss one week , as I said their availability to play WILL be based on a late medical clearance, as I said that is Club information , if a player is not listed to play I will post that the player is not listed to play, if that same player has had a late medical clearance to play we only see that when the final team list is made , Club medical information is Club information

AS Bulldog Joe says, possible is the word. The way you put it sounds like they will definitely be out next week.

azabob
26-04-2011, 05:30 PM

OK, so you don't have a source inside the club you are basing your information on what the media say?

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 05:40 PM
AS Bulldog Joe says, possible is the word. The way you put it sounds like they will definitely be out next week.

I,ll concede that, from now on I,ll caveat possible with an * ( based on the information at the moment, late medical clearance needed )

Can we move on now, it's like watching someone polish a sheet of brass with half a brick

Before I Die
26-04-2011, 05:42 PM

West-Dog,I am not trying to be critical. I am simply trying to understand whether the information being posted is a matter of opinion (of the poster), based on public knowledge or the result of accurate inside information.

Prefacing statements with lines such as; I belive; Based on radio reports; Eade hinted in his press conference; Judging by how sore he looked; According to a source at the club; Speaking to a relative of the player; etc, inform the rest of us about the veracity of the satement. Simply stating = Lake (ankle) will miss one week - leads to questioning posts like this.

Regarding your above post. Where has the player been listed not to play? What list are you referring to? Your list? The club's list? Apparently not as this would be Club information (your words). A list on SEN or some other media outlet? We are all on this website because we love information and opinion. We just like to know which is which. :confused:

Edit : Just read the above post. It wasn't there when I started writing my post. I accept that this is now done to death. Let's move on.

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Yes, moving on now

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 07:43 PM
If a player is ruled out for a game but has a late medical and is cleared to play ,
If a player is ruled out, then he is out no if or buts. This late medical clearance sounds like a way to cover yourself. Either he was ruled out/didn't play or had a late fitness test pending - can't be both.

chef
26-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Who did he tag?
I would be tempted to make a left field selection and choose Skinner. Our forward line is way too predictable.
Having said that if Hall does not play it changes everything and we don't just rely on him to score goals

Fyfe.

cambo
26-04-2011, 08:02 PM

would be nice he he looked interested and showed some heart

he is my out for next week

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 08:42 PM
It can't be both ? Oh , and the price of first season Mangoes are terrible, Global Cooling is a fact - ask Tony Abbott, I use Ice and Eucalyptus Oil to get chewing gum out of the carpet

We are moving on from this, as I have stated I am too blunt and I will change my posts re the subject - with a caveat * , no other correspondence needed, thanks for the tip for getting chewing gum out of carpet

Anyway back to team review's for Round 6

With the POSSIBILITY * of Williams, Lake and Hall missing 1 week , we must name a side that is as flexible as possible , IF Hall is out Liam Jones could come in at FF or CHF , IF Lake and Williams are out our backline will have to include players that can move the ball quickly, the need for our midfield to cut off Collingwoods ball supply is paramount, we can't at any stage backoff and play negative football , there will be no real need for a hard tag- I would have no problem with Picken as the extra man in defence or as a rotating BP to FP role, our forward 50 must restructure so we provide real defensive pressure and also lead for the ball , Grant should be made to shadow Maxwell but not follow him up the ground, Higgins has to be cleaner off the ground when he's crumbing , both Cooney and Griffin have to grit the teeth and take the game on- goals from them will be very important, Minson most likely will come in for Hudson who need's a rest but will need to play with controlled aggression - his presence at the top of the 50 at either end will be important

tough game, a real test of character

* Subject done to death

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 08:50 PM

Chops, there's been plenty of them over the years. Farren Ray, Nathan Eagleton and Tom Williams to name a few. Brennan Stack seems to be the new scapegoat for some posters.

Nevertheless, the majority of posters here seem to be pleased with his game last night although for the late clanger ..... which was caused by a handball from Grant who probably should have kicked it.

Sedat
26-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Cross was good for large parts on Fyfe but Fyfe did get away from him a little in the 2nd half. Irrespective, I liked Cross and Boyd showing some much needed defensive-orientation on their direct opponents last night.

People having a go at our structure and our 'heart' (whatever the hell that means) really don't have a leg to stand on when we are a set-shot skill error away from icing the game with less than 4 minutes left on the clock.

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 09:38 PM
WestDog, i hope you have suitable insurance and your assets in your spouse name should you be sued at a later stage.

Before I Die
26-04-2011, 09:47 PM
We are moving on from this, as I have stated I am too blunt and I will change my posts re the subject - with a caveat * , no other correspondence needed, thanks for the tip for getting chewing gum out of carpet

Anyway back to team review's for Round 6

With the POSSIBILITY * of Williams, Lake and Hall missing 1 week , we must name a side that is as flexible as possible , IF Hall is out Liam Jones could come in at FF or CHF , IF Lake and Williams are out our backline will have to include players that can move the ball quickly, the need for our midfield to cut off Collingwoods ball supply is paramount, we can't at any stage backoff and play negative football , there will be no real need for a hard tag- I would have no problem with Picken as the extra man in defence or as a rotating BP to FP role, our forward 50 must restructure so we provide real defensive pressure and also lead for the ball , Grant should be made to shadow Maxwell but not follow him up the ground, Higgins has to be cleaner off the ground when he's crumbing , both Cooney and Griffin have to grit the teeth and take the game on- goals from them will be very important, Minson most likely will come in for Hudson who need's a rest but will need to play with controlled aggression - his presence at the top of the 50 at either end will be important

tough game, a real test of character

* Subject done to death

If all of Lake, Williams and Hall do miss, we are going to need to bring in at least one tall who can play KPB. Is that Jones (Roughy could play permanent forward), Mulligan or Cordy. If push came to shove, which of the latter two is the least unprepared for a senior debut. I know neither is truly ready, but I don't think Markovic and Morris can handle Dawes, Cloke, Brown and occasionally Jolly. Just a hypothetical until we know more about injuries, but who would the Willy watchers suggest.

I just remembered Barlow, though I think he was the one that had the 7 goals kicked on him and German did comment that it was his first time playing as a CHB. Still he is a mature body. I am not sure of his rookie status. There was talk that he had been promoted for Shaggy. I guess if Shaggy is on the LTI list then Barlow (or Hahn) could be promoted at any time up until Shaggy officially comes back onto the main list.

comrade
26-04-2011, 09:56 PM
If Lake and Williams miss, we're in massive strife so should we just give a kid a shot (Mulligan) and see how we stands up. He's on a hiding to nothing but expectations should be pretty low.

LostDoggy
26-04-2011, 10:35 PM
According to Monty on radio, Roughead is here to stay.

Apparently the other rucking spot is between Minson & Hudson, so i don't think we will be seeing Minson & Huddo in the same lineup for some time.

comrade
26-04-2011, 11:32 PM
According to Monty on radio, Roughead is here to stay.

Apparently the other rucking spot is between Minson & Hudson, so i don't think we will be seeing Minson & Huddo in the same lineup for some time.

Nor should we.

chef
27-04-2011, 08:47 AM
Out
Hall(inj)
Williams(inj)
Hudson
Wallis
Liberatore

In
Hahn
Gia
Reid
Addison
Minson

comrade
27-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Out
Hall(inj)
Williams(inj)
Hudson
Wallis
Liberatore

In
Hahn
Gia
Reid
Addison
Minson

I would be very disappointed if we promote Hahn ahead of Jones.

LostDoggy
27-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Out
Hall(inj)
Williams(inj)
Hudson
Wallis
Liberatore

In
Hahn
Gia
Reid
Addison
Minson
I see what your thinking but I think one of Libba or Wallis will stay.
No pace added there but at least with the rookies comes youthful enthusiasm.
I think we might need to add another tall too

Ozza
27-04-2011, 09:49 AM
I see what your thinking but I think one of Libba or Wallis will stay.
No pace added there but at least with the rookies comes youthful enthusiasm.
I think we might need to add another tall too

I agree chops. I would be very disappointed if Reid and Addison played ahead of Wallis and Libba at any stage. In Wallis and Libba - we have some genuine ability and particularly some pretty clean hands.

Our skill level has been woeful this year - I'd rather not get rid of blokes who can use it.

bornadog
27-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Out
Hall(inj)
Williams(inj)
Hudson
Wallis
Liberatore

In
Hahn
Gia
Reid
Addison
Minson

Hahn is a rookie and cannot be promoted unless someone goes on the long term injury list.

MrMahatma
27-04-2011, 10:43 AM
I don't think we need wholesale changes, but we need some.

Out:
Hall (inj)
Hudson
Grant

In:
Gia
Jones
Minson

BulldogBelle
27-04-2011, 10:52 AM
I don't think we need wholesale changes, but we need some.

Out:
Hall (inj)
Hudson
Grant

In:
Gia
Jones
Minson

Grant's only saving grace was that he kicked 2 goals...at crucial times...

Apart from that, I'm not sure why our quickest and lightest forward hasnt been chasing as hard as he possibly could

Anyone have some statistics on how many tackles Grant had? And how many were effective...

I'm happy to leave Libba and Wallis in the side....we need some speed again Collingwood

ratsmac
27-04-2011, 10:52 AM
INS - Minson must come in
Gia must come in (if fit)
Would like to see Addison given another go.
Speed must come in
Injuried players must be rested
What ever happens we shouldn't beat Collingwood at this stage so no need risking injuried players for this game.
OUTS - Injured players
Hudson seems to be labouring although his effort can't be questioned.
Maybe he needs a break.
The forward line looks disfunctional and needs someone to take charge.

Desipura
27-04-2011, 11:22 AM

Ok I just read all the responses, I withdraw my 2 cents worth

Desipura
27-04-2011, 11:24 AM

Some people on here do have inside info and are happy to post on Woof as they are all keen to know. Give people on here some credit MJP.

mjp
27-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Some people on here do have inside info and are happy to post on Woof as they are all keen to know. Give people on here some credit MJP.

Ah...Desi - I was referring to the same poster who you said in your previous post was 'guessing'...talk about the pot and the kettle!

My point about 'real' inside info is that it shouldn't be posted on an open forum because it can be read/viewed by anyone...including the opposition who do monitor forums such as this.

Desipura
27-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Revised due the outs:
Out: Hudson, Hall & Williams
In: Minson, Jones & Djerkurra

Roughy to play on Brown and play as a 2nd ruck
Jones replaces Hall
and Djerkurra is the sub

The Coon Dog
27-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Hahn is a rookie and cannot be promoted unless someone goes on the long term injury list.

Like Ryan Hargrave for instance?

LostDoggy
27-04-2011, 12:13 PM
For some reason I think we will win this game. But it won't set our standard for the season. It will be more like the win we had in 2000 against bombers. Was good, but didn't really make us achieve anything else :(

Minson in for me! Rough up some of those Collingwood love-me-dos

Bulldog Joe
27-04-2011, 12:32 PM

But wasn't Barlow elevated for round 1 even though he was not subsequently selected.

With that being the situation, would there be any chance that Barlow could come in this week, because he has the tank to keep with Cloke ??

The Coon Dog
27-04-2011, 12:36 PM
But wasn't Barlow elevated for round 1 even though he was not subsequently selected.

Yeah, I reckon you might be right there. Forgot that that happened. :o

Sedat
27-04-2011, 12:38 PM
With that being the situation, would there be any chance that Barlow could come in this week, because he has the tank to keep with Cloke ??
So does Craig Mottram. Barlow will need more strings to his bow that to simply be able to run with Cloke. Shame Williams is missing this week because he did a terrific job nullifying Cloke, despite the barrage of inside 50's on the night, in the QF last year.

bornadog
27-04-2011, 12:51 PM

He is due back in two weeks?

G-Mo77
27-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Revised due the outs:
Out: Hudson, Hall & Williams
In: Minson, Jones & Djerkurra

Roughy to play on Brown and play as a 2nd ruck
Jones replaces Hall
and Djerkurra is the sub

I'd go with these Ins/Outs and completely agree on the Sub.

Gia comes in if healthy though and I think we go small if that's the case. He goes in place of Jones.

G-Mo77
27-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Well just a C&P of Desi's selections then. :D

Sockeye Salmon
27-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I reckon you might be right there. Forgot that that happened. :o

I don't think Barlow was ever elevated.

Sockeye Salmon
27-04-2011, 01:00 PM
He is due back in two weeks?

A rookie could still play until then.

Bulldog Joe
27-04-2011, 01:01 PM
So does Craig Mottram. Barlow will need more strings to his bow that to simply be able to run with Cloke. Shame Williams is missing this week because he did a terrific job nullifying Cloke, despite the barrage of inside 50's on the night, in the QF last year.

I understand what you are saying, but Mottram is not on our list.

If Barlow wasn't recruited for this type of role,when we have injury, why is he on the list???

Sedat
27-04-2011, 01:14 PM
If Barlow wasn't recruited for this type of role,when we have injury, why is he on the list???
It's a good question, one that the VFL track watchers would be much better qualified to answer than me. Having an injury-interrputed pre-season hasn't helped Barlow find some continuity in his football and also work on a clearly defined role (whatever that role is). I'm not sure he could just walk into a key defensive role at AFL level against the competition benchmark on the interrputed preparation he's had, and if he hasn't been playing key defence at VFL level I don't see any long-term benefit to the team in bringing him in to perform this role in the seniors.

Barely 6 months ago, Markovic was a 'waste of a draft pick' and has since slotted into our back half very well. I'd be inclined to bring in whoever has been best at filling in the role of key defender at Williamstown to come in and replace Williams - that would probably be Mulligan going by VFL reports. The worst thing that can happen is that he gets a football lesson from one of the best key forwards in the game at the moment. Rightly or wrongly, Mulligan is on our main list and plays key defence form Willy - there is more to gain by exposing Mulligan to Collingwood in a key defensive role that Ed Barlow IMO. Makes the decision not to add Faulks to our list to add some derfensive depth and cover all the more puzzling.

Desipura
27-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Ah...Desi - I was referring to the same poster who you said in your previous post was 'guessing'...talk about the pot and the kettle!

My point about 'real' inside info is that it shouldn't be posted on an open forum because it can be read/viewed by anyone...including the opposition who do monitor forums such as this.

One of the reasons I post on here is because some people have inside information. I agree it probably should not be posted, its distinguishing the accurate with the inaccurate posters.
By the way, what happened to that poster who used to tell us 100% all the ins and outs and never got it correct once last season?:D

The Coon Dog
27-04-2011, 02:18 PM
[QUOTE=mjp;210246]
By the way, what happened to that poster who used to tell us 100% all the ins and outs and never got it correct once last season?:D

Betty something or other wasn't it?

Sockeye Salmon
27-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Makes the decision not to add Faulks to our list to add some derfensive depth and cover all the more puzzling.

Faulks is built like Hargrave, Dawes and Cloke would monster him

Desipura
27-04-2011, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=Desipura;210273]

Yes, I think that was his/her name. Used to open up a thread one minute after each weekends games.

The Pie Man
27-04-2011, 02:33 PM
[QUOTE=Desipura;210273]

becmatty - hasn't posted since the finals last year

LostDoggy
27-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Out: Hudson, Williams(inj), Hall(inj)
In: Minson, Addison/Gia(fit?), Jones
Sub: Libba

A great chance for the young guns, I have a funny feeling about this game...

I will mention Stack because it has been a point of contension:
Stack was very good for much of the game, his spoiling efforts were best afield. he made a couple of mistakes early on then turned it over in the corridor by hand-passing the wrong way to two dockers who took off towards the goal, pretty much swung the momentum of the game. I hear the voices saying he was under pressure but most disposals are under pressure. A very costly error, a turning point in the game. DJ could come in if the MC make an example of this. I still do not see Stack being a 100 game player with guys like Wood and Howard around.

1eyedog
27-04-2011, 03:52 PM
OUTS: Hudson (rested), Grant

INS: Minson, Gia (if fit) if not DJ

Hudson to rest and Minno to be rewarded. Wallis to stay in but Grant to go to make way for Gia if fit. Minno gets Jolly and Roughhead plays CHF provided Hall come up. When Roughhead in the ruck go to small forward line around Hall (DJ, Higgins, Gia).

This team is so inconsistent from week to week that I don't think large scale changes are going to make any difference. We could lose to Richmond one week and match it with Collingwood the next. Let's wait and see what happens against the Pies this weekend. Imagine if we beat them, they would be all over as 2nd favourites.

the banker
27-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Stack Markovic Morris
Gilbee Lake Addison
Picken Boyd Ward
Sherman Murphy Grant
Cooney Jones Roughead

Minson Griffen Libba

Wallis Higgins Cross (Hill Sub)

Could Ward run with Swan? Can Libba run with Pendlebury? Does Picken take Blair?
Murphy Forward gives it alook of some authority to me. Back to the type of forward set up pre Barry. Keep teh tall deep forward for the long bomb - Sherman/Cooney to crumb.

If necessary Murphy can go back and Addison can play defensive forward on Shaw?

Presuming Gia is still unavailable.

always right
27-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Stack Markovic Morris
Gilbee Lake Addison
Picken Boyd Ward
Sherman Murphy Grant
Cooney Jones Roughead

Minson Griffen Libba

Could Ward run with Swan? Can Libba run with Pendlebury? Does Picken take Blair?
Murphy Forward gives it alook of some authority to me. Back to the type of forward set up pre Barry. Keep teh tall deep forward for the long bomb - Sherman/Cooney to crumb.

I first looked at this side and was going to bag it...but on second thoughts it has a bit going for it. Defence looks as slow as can be but our forward line has something about it that might cause some problems for the pies. This is one game where we have nothing to lose by mixing things up a little.

mjp
27-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Faulks is built like Hargrave, Dawes and Cloke would monster him

Faulkes is injured anyway!

The Bulldogs Bite
27-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Should be an interesting selection week.

Minson, Djerrkera and Addison would be good chances to play. Jones too, although his form hasn't warranted it.

I wouldn't mind seeing Reid play if he's fit. I know he doesn't address our lack of skill problem, but he's fierce and we've forgotton about him.

Also think we have to consider Moles. I think he's a frustrating player who probably hasn't earned a callup, but we are DESPERATE for pace. Eade has regularly said Moles is a talent that could easily be a best 22 player, but he hasn't been able to take that next step. Perhaps giving Moles a run in the seniors for a month (or so) is worth it, considering we are incredibly slow.

If Djerrkera DOES play, he needs to be given a full game.

I suspect we'll go with:

OUT: Hall (inj), Hudson (rested), Williams (inj)
IN: Jones, Minson, Addison

LostDoggy
27-04-2011, 04:31 PM
i don't understand calls to drop Stack. We have persevered through 5 years and 20 games of junk in hope that he may be a player. Why drop him when he finally plays a decent one? For the first time ever, Stack was worth his spot in the team on the weekend and <shudder> one of our better players.

The Pie Man
27-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Faulkes is injured anyway!

I'm only saying this as I often think it when things like the above are said (essentially, I can't help myself, and it's purely philosophical)

If he was drafted by us, he would've travelled a very different path physically, which may or may not involve him being fit today.

I don't think he (Faulks) would help this weekend - if Hargrave was fit, sure he'd probably play, but I think Markovic/Lake can take the twin towers, and Morris will have to help out on the 3rd tall drifting down (Williams playing would've been preferred no doubt)

I thought Gilbee played the best he had in a while late in the game purely defending. I can't remember a good game of footy he's played forward of the ball, and he was poor in the first half again. Can he go to Blair?

If Gia really had a hamstring complaint, would he be ready yet? (If he's fit, he plays - and I'd pick him)

In : Minson, Jones, Addison
Out: Hudson, Hall, Williams

I'm picking Addison largely on the basis that he went over as our 23rd this weekend - a bit flimsy I'll concede

Bulldog Joe
27-04-2011, 05:06 PM
It's a good question, one that the VFL track watchers would be much better qualified to answer than me. Having an injury-interrputed pre-season hasn't helped Barlow find some continuity in his football and also work on a clearly defined role (whatever that role is). I'm not sure he could just walk into a key defensive role at AFL level against the competition benchmark on the interrputed preparation he's had, and if he hasn't been playing key defence at VFL level I don't see any long-term benefit to the team in bringing him in to perform this role in the seniors.

Barely 6 months ago, Markovic was a 'waste of a draft pick' and has since slotted into our back half very well. I'd be inclined to bring in whoever has been best at filling in the role of key defender at Williamstown to come in and replace Williams - that would probably be Mulligan going by VFL reports. The worst thing that can happen is that he gets a football lesson from one of the best key forwards in the game at the moment. Rightly or wrongly, Mulligan is on our main list and plays key defence form Willy - there is more to gain by exposing Mulligan to Collingwood in a key defensive role that Ed Barlow IMO. Makes the decision not to add Faulks to our list to add some derfensive depth and cover all the more puzzling.

My understanding was that Barlow played CHB at Willi last week and he does at least have senior experience. Mulligan has barely played VFL senior footy, but if he gets a call up due to the injuries I won't object.

We do need to give players a chance to show their wares.

bornadog
27-04-2011, 05:22 PM
i don't understand calls to drop Stack. We have persevered through 5 years and 20 games of junk in hope that he may be a player. Why drop him when he finally plays a decent one? For the first time ever, Stack was worth his spot in the team on the weekend and <shudder> one of our better players.

I think he has played well in all the games this year.

Dazza
27-04-2011, 05:35 PM
I know they are well off being in the best 22 but how do you think Dalhous and Skinner would go as subs? Both have electrifying pace plus a good defensive mindset and could be a real x factor late in the game with Dalhous on a wing and Skinner up forward/down back on a flank.

Bit left field but might just work. I don't really rate us much of a chance on the weekend either way.

Ghost Dog
27-04-2011, 05:36 PM
I know they are well off being in the best 22 but how do you think Dalhous and Skinner would go as subs? Both have electrifying pace plus a good defensive mindset and could be a real x factor late in the game with Dalhous on a wing and Skinner up forward/down back on a flank.

Bit left field but might just work. I don't really rate us much of a chance on the weekend either way.

maybe time to throw caution to the wind

Ghost Dog
27-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Perhaps having Barry out this week is a blessing in disguise, forcing us to throw things around a bit. Try something new

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-04-2011, 05:57 PM
No surprise I disagree, coming off a hammy twinge and his lack of pace is a recipe for disaster.
Agree. When did Gia ever play well defensively against a Heath Shaw type. I would rather see a strong bodied player like Ward given the role on Shaw who would lead him to the ball. Picken likewise looks the ideal match up against Thomas. Roughead looks a natural ruckman rather than spending so much time up forward. Hard to go in against Collingwood
without Hudson to compete with Jolly. Without Hall you may want to take a chance on Minson being his replacement with Hudson and Roughead to alternate off the interchange.
Jones should be played at centre half forward given our lack of key forwards.

LostDoggy
27-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Anyone think Hooper might come in?

Monty was on radio saying how the coaching staff want him in the team, they were hoping to give him a few games at Williamstown & then bring him into the senior team.

The Pie Man
27-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Anyone think Hooper might come in?

Monty was on radio saying how the coaching staff want him in the team, they were hoping to give him a few games at Williamstown & then bring him into the senior team.

Other than filling a still vacant crumbing forward role, I can't see it.

I wouldn't be upset though - I like nuggety lil (potential) cult heroes

azabob
27-04-2011, 07:14 PM

Hey Sedat, interesting post.

Pre season I would have agreed that not adding Faulks was a mistake. But as you say things change, this time last year Markovic was our "defensive depth" and through injury Markovic has found his way into the team and managed to hold his spot in the team.

When was the last time we played 4 players in the back half capable of picking up tall players?

To me our tall defensive depth coverage is good. They all just happen to be playing in the seniors at the moment.

So do we really need a tall defender to come in for Williams?

chef
27-04-2011, 07:46 PM
I would be very disappointed if we promote Hahn ahead of Jones.

Fair enough, I just think we are a better chance of winning this week with Hahn at full forward rather than Jones.

chef
27-04-2011, 07:48 PM
I agree chops. I would be very disappointed if Reid and Addison played ahead of Wallis and Libba at any stage. In Wallis and Libba - we have some genuine ability and particularly some pretty clean hands.

Our skill level has been woeful this year - I'd rather not get rid of blokes who can use it.

Addison and Reid have genuine ability.

Bulldog Joe
27-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Agree. When did Gia ever play well defensively against a Heath Shaw type. I would rather see a strong bodied player like Ward given the role on Shaw who would lead him to the ball. Picken likewise looks the ideal match up against Thomas. Roughead looks a natural ruckman rather than spending so much time up forward. Hard to go in against Collingwood
without Hudson to compete with Jolly. Without Hall you may want to take a chance on Minson being his replacement with Hudson and Roughead to alternate off the interchange.
Jones should be played at centre half forward given our lack of key forwards.

Gia has played a defensive role on a Heath Shaw type in fact on the actual Heath Shaw and earnt specific praise from Eade (although not with 100% approval of WOOF et al posters).

I would like Addison perhaps to be given the defensive role on O'Brien and let him know he is about.

I think Picken needs to go to Pendlebury, although Cross could do that and be given a defence first assignment.

Roughead will probably develop into a very good tap ruckman but currently lacks the physical strength for the role at AFL level. He looks to be now behind Cordy in physical strength and I would put that down to the shoulder reconstructions for Cordy being done early last year and allowing him into the gym, whereas Roughead had his done at the end of the season preventing him doing enough pre-season weight work.

Minson is clearly ahead ruck-wise and Roughead has been getting games based on the perception that he is superior forward. Minson will compete well with Jolly as he ALWAYS has.

chef
27-04-2011, 07:50 PM
[QUOTE=The Coon Dog;210274]

becmatty - hasn't posted since the finals last year

He hangs around BF nowadays.

Sockeye Salmon
27-04-2011, 07:52 PM
My understanding was that Barlow played CHB at Willi last week and he does at least have senior experience.

His opponent - a teenager who hasn't managed a senior game yet - kicked 7

Maddog37
27-04-2011, 08:05 PM
You need someone that can take a mark to trouble Harry O. He can struggle under a high ball.

LostDoggy
27-04-2011, 08:09 PM
You need someone that can take a mark to trouble Harry O. He can struggle under a high ball.

Skinner?

Not sure how he is traveling at Willy, but can jump for the high ball.

Bulldog Joe
27-04-2011, 08:19 PM

Addison takes a good mark and is a relaible shot at goal.

DOG GOD
27-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Harry and Shaw definately need to be made accountable. I hope Gia doesnt come in this week as the last time he played on shaw he was murdered. I like the idea of Ward and Addison taking these two guys, being tough at the ball and being able to tackle hard and rough them over a bit. Both are good marks and relatively a good shot on goal.

I think the team will be better off without Hall and Gia THIS week.

LostDoggy
27-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Posters on here are now not putting Lake on the out injured selection.
Is he ok to play now????

azabob
27-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Posters on here are now not putting Lake on the out injured selection.
Is he ok to play now????

Who said he was injured?

Ghost Dog
27-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Fair enough, I just think we are a better chance of winning this week with Hahn at full forward rather than Jones.

Playing on tarrant or others will be a great opportunity for Jones. Hope the MC can see the sense in giving him a run.

LostDoggy
27-04-2011, 09:22 PM

Lake rolled his ankle in a marking contest when he was switched forward ,will be assessed for ligament damage, no point risking him, he will miss 1 weekWilliams has back related hamstring tightness, no point risking him, he will miss 1 week

If all of Lake, Williams and Hall do miss, we are going to need to bring in at least one tall who can play KPB. Is that Jones (Roughy could play permanent forward), Mulligan or Cordy. If push came to shove, which of the latter two is the least unprepared for a senior debut. I know neither is truly ready, but I don't think Markovic and Morris can handle Dawes, Cloke, Brown and occasionally Jolly. Just a hypothetical until we know more about injuries, but who would the Willy watchers suggest.

If Lake and Williams miss, we're in massive strife so should we just give a kid a shot (Mulligan) and see how we stands up. He's on a hiding to nothing but expectations should be pretty low.

Who said he was injured?

Sorry Bob, my mistake.
I must have been thinking of the above west dog posts. I think they have been well and truely covered earlier.

Go_Dogs
27-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Stack Markovic Morris
Gilbee Lake Addison
Picken Boyd Ward
Sherman Murphy Grant
Cooney Jones Roughead

Minson Griffen Libba

Like the look of the side and some interesting calls for match ups that have some merit.

I think Gia will be back, but I'm not sure whose place he takes in your side as the balance looks pretty good. I momentarily thought of resting Libba, but it will be a good experience for him and I'm not sure Gia should spend the significant minutes through the middle Libba coming out may mean.

azabob
27-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Sorry Bob, my mistake.
I must have been thinking of the above west dog posts. I think they have been well and truely covered earlier.

No drama's thought that may have been it, but didn't dare mention it.;)

SlimPickens
28-04-2011, 10:17 AM

Spot on Ozza,I like Dylan's hardness and willingness at the contest but on pure footballing ability i agree with you that Libba and Wallis are ahead of him. As for Sam Reid i haven't seen much of him but what i have hasn't impressed me at all. I know he has had his injury problems but i'm not sure where his place in the team would be?

That being said i think Dylan will play this week, just not at the expense of Libba and Wallis.

divvydan
28-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Reading Jason Phelan's tweets from training today.

Mentions Gia won't be risked, Higgins unlikely to play, Hall, Hudson and Williams didn't train, Williams will be named but is in doubt

Mofra
28-04-2011, 01:11 PM

Mentions Gia won't be risked, Higgins unlikely to play, Hall, Hudson and Williams didn't train, Williams will be named but is in doubt
If this is true we are in bulk trouble.
Looks like we'll be letting the kids loose this weekend by necessity.

Desipura
28-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Looks like we'll be letting the kids loose this weekend by necessity.

Lets face it, as good as he is/has been, Hall in makes us one dimensional.
Gia's form against Collingwood is not the best.
Williams & Higgins are the 2 real losses IMHO, if it pans out that way

bornadog
28-04-2011, 01:47 PM
In: Minson, Moles, Jones

Out: Higgins, Hall and Williams

G-Mo77
28-04-2011, 01:48 PM

Yikes! Higgins as well.

No mention of Lake so that's a good sign I guess.

mjp
28-04-2011, 01:50 PM

Why? Collingwood beat us last year with all those blokes in! The worst thing that can happen with the changes that have been forced is that we still lose...which everyone is predicting anyway.

It actually doesn't make me feel a lot worse about things. No concerns raised about Lake, Cooney, Griffen or Boyd. We will be OK.

SlimPickens
28-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Heraldsun reporting Jolly in doubt, wonder if this will change anyones team selection?

Ins: Minson, Addison, Jones,Moles
Out: Hudson, Williams, Higgins, Hall

The Bulldogs Bite
28-04-2011, 04:45 PM
What's wrong with Higgins?

bornadog
28-04-2011, 04:51 PM
What's wrong with Higgins?

General soreness is what we have been told?

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 05:20 PM

There must be more to it than that?

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 06:52 PM
I'm getting sick of hearing this, Soon it will be ......

This weeks changes:

Out: Western Bulldogs (general soreness)

In: Williamstown Seagulls

The Coon Dog
28-04-2011, 08:22 PM
There must be more to it than that?

There probably is, but why do we or the general football public need to know?

Say if a player has very sore ribs, what's the first thing an opposition player would do to him if he played? Whack him in the bloody ribs, that's what!

A few years back a certain Swans player would not allow the club to divulge the nature of his injury/ies claiming his medical condition was not something anyone should be privy to, like most other Australian workers.

The Adelaide Connection
28-04-2011, 08:37 PM

Say if a player has very sore ribs, what's the first thing an opposition player would do to him if he played? Whack him in the bloody ribs, that's what!

A few years back a certain Swans player would not allow the club to divulge the nature of his injury/ies claiming his medical condition was not something anyone should be privy to, like most other Australian workers.

Spot on. We will never hear about half the injuries that players get and some play with. Nor should we for our teams sake.

A few years ago a loud, big-mouthed individual divulged that a teammate was set to play with broken ribs directly before a grand final. Didn't do the player with broken ribs (or the individual) any favours. ;)

Sockeye Salmon
28-04-2011, 08:46 PM

Could always get Aker to let the whole world know

divvydan
28-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Whether it's soreness or something else, I just hope it's not serious and he'll be ready to go for next week (Higgo).

AndrewP6
28-04-2011, 10:04 PM

I think that's the case regardless of who we put on the paddock! ;)

Rocco Jones
28-04-2011, 10:26 PM
The thing is, our fixture nightmare doesn't end here. After the Pies game we have a 6 day break (actually a few hours less than that!) before playing the Swans in Canberra. The Swans play at home and have an 8 day break.

Such is life when you are reliant on AFL compensation...

The Bulldogs Bite
28-04-2011, 10:42 PM
The thing is, our fixture nightmare doesn't end here. After the Pies game we have a 6 day break (actually a few hours less than that!) before playing the Swans in Canberra. The Swans play at home and have an 8 day break.

Such is life when you are reliant on AFL compensation...

Which is why I'd like to see quite a few of our players 'rested', giving a chance to players like Wallis, Moles, Schofield, Jones, Roughead, DJ, Reid and co.

Never one for conceeding, but we have to be smart. I'd rather we aim to be competitive this week, with an eye to beating the Swans with a healthier list.

lemmon
29-04-2011, 01:42 AM
A few whispers around (admittedly from the Collingwood Bigfooty board) that both Dawes and Harry O might be in a bit of doubt

The Adelaide Connection
29-04-2011, 04:25 AM
A few whispers around (admittedly from the Collingwood Bigfooty board) that both Dawes and Harry O might be in a bit of doubt

Apparently Dawes grabbed at his hammy at training while the cameras were on him but some suggested it might be just playing up to the cameras. But Harry O and a few others were reported as sore, but that is probably no different to quite a few of our guys.

Mofra
29-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Harry O played on after a jab last weekend - may not be risked