PDA

View Full Version : State league vs AFL - Not a different competition, a different sport

mjp
26-04-2011, 11:03 AM
The levels of fitness, the zones, the size and speed of the bodies. The extent of team instruction/understanding plays and ability to execute under pressure...

I have come to the conclusion over the past couple of weeks that it really doesn't matter what a player is doing at VFL level...the two games are so different that the MC just need to try and get some time into players to see if they are able to handle it or not.

bornadog
26-04-2011, 11:32 AM
I agree, the gap between the two is huge.

MJP, Why is it that some players are dropped to the VFL but don't perform well yet they can come back into the AFL and play well.

example, Hill never dominates at VFL level, but can slot straight back in and play ok at AFL level.

Rocco Jones
26-04-2011, 11:32 AM
So true mjp.

A lot of players who dominate at state league can fail to make the transition to AFL. Players can being ball magnets to being too slow to even get near it or from tall athletes to players who just cannot fit into a role.

But it can also go the other way. Players who are not dominating at state league level can end up fitting in at AFL level. I guess this is more typical from defensive types but it can also come from those who have modern AFL type strengths.

Throughandthrough
26-04-2011, 06:54 PM
couldn't agree more with the OP.

GVGjr
26-04-2011, 07:00 PM
I have come to the conclusion over the past couple of weeks that it really doesn't matter what a player is doing at VFL level...the two games are so different that the MC just need to try and get some time into players to see if they are able to handle it or not.

I think the match committee does a reasonable job of it. The likes of Grant and Wood didn't set the world on fire at Williamstown before getting their chances.
I'd still prefer to see a player doing well in the VFL before being given a senior spot but I get where you are coming from.

SonofScray
27-04-2011, 12:37 AM
Grant is an example of it, he probably would have wasted away at VFL level if we didn't bring him along a bit earlier than form would have suggested.

I wonder if a kid like Tim Walsh was someone who may have benefited from the opportunity to play at top level rather than battle away in the twos. Likewise, I am frustrated about Cordy, how long is he a project, does he now have to earn his chance, or do we throw him in the mix because of the talents the Club identified in him?

Hotdog60
27-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Grant is an example of it, he probably would have wasted away at VFL level if we didn't bring him along a bit earlier than form would have suggested.

I wonder if a kid like Tim Walsh was someone who may have benefited from the opportunity to play at top level rather than battle away in the twos. Likewise, I am frustrated about Cordy, how long is he a project, does he now have to earn his chance, or do we throw him in the mix because of the talents the Club identified in him?

Cordy maybe a wild card if Williams doesn't get up.

Mantis
27-04-2011, 08:55 AM

Which players in particular?

mjp
27-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Which players in particular?

Anyone who hasn't played a game!

LostDoggy
27-04-2011, 01:06 PM
The grounds are alot different to. Dont see too many muddy centres on AFL grounds.

Cyberdoggie
27-04-2011, 04:12 PM
I think the match committee does a reasonable job of it. The likes of Grant and Wood didn't set the world on fire at Williamstown before getting their chances.
I'd still prefer to see a player doing well in the VFL before being given a senior spot but I get where you are coming from.

Grant played round 1 last year against Collingwood vfl side at Victoria park, and in that performance it was very clear he was a different player from the previous year. His confidence was sky high and it was as if the preverbial switch had been flicked during that performance.

Wood played a handful of terrific games, notably a prelim final where he was the only player to stand up and took some great contested marks across half back and generated a lot of run. Was best on ground by a country mile, As with Grant i think they both had watershed moments that elevated their positions quite a bit.

I agree that previously both players hadn't done too much, but i think that with players like Wood and Grant, the club knows they have huge potential and perhaps they get selected on a different basis.

Cyberdoggie
27-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Anyone who hasn't played a game!

There's been plenty of VFL players that have made the grade pretty confortably in the last 2 seasons, and also some first year draftees that have also been impressive.

If we are talking about Mitch Wallis's performance, sure that moment when he came on in the last quarter was where the game turned against us in the middle, but it was a huge ask for him to come in as a sub at that moment.

Bad call from the coach making him a sub in the first place i think. If he was going to play they should of started him, I think Rocket hasn't quite worked out the sub rule tactics very well just yet. None of our subs have had an impact.

I think your right in that the style of games are totally different and the amount of running and intensity is far greater. perhaps it's just those who are fit enough and can adapt to the change in speed that are succeeding.

LostDoggy
27-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Cordy maybe a wild card if Williams doesn't get up.

No player is going to be a wild card without AFL games under their belt. He's going to disappoint before he impresses.