PDA

View Full Version : Boyd takes blame despite his record show

Hotdog60
27-04-2011, 06:50 PM
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20A-E/MattBoyd316b.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs skipper Matthew Boyd capped a massive Easter weekend with a best on ground display in Monday night's loss to Fremantle, but that was cold comfort as he claimed responsibility for the defeat.

Boyd's weekend began with his wife Kate giving birth to the couple's first child on Friday night before he joined his team on the trip to Perth for the Anzac Day night clash with Fremantle.

That certainly didn’t affect his game as he picked up an all-time Western Bulldogs high of 45 possessions to go with an incredible 12 clearances and 10 entries inside-50. That was little consolation to the first-year skipper, though, following the seven-point loss.

"It doesn’t mean much really. It's not how much you get, it's what you do with it and unfortunately I made a few mistakes with the ball that cost us a goal or two towards the end," Boyd said.

MORE (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/112399/default.aspx)

LostDoggy
27-04-2011, 07:39 PM
On ya Boydy, True captain.

Maddog37
27-04-2011, 08:03 PM
He is a very serious individual!

Ghost Dog
27-04-2011, 09:06 PM
"It doesn’t mean much really. It's not how much you get, it's what you do with it and unfortunately I made a few mistakes with the ball that cost us a goal or two towards the end,"

All the Boyd Detractors on woof.net read above. He gets it!

Good on ya Matt

Boyd saw plenty of good signs from his teammates in terms of fighting spirit, intensity and the pressure they applied on Fremantle

bornadog
27-04-2011, 09:18 PM
"It doesn’t mean much really. It's not how much you get, it's what you do with it and unfortunately I made a few mistakes with the ball that cost us a goal or two towards the end,"

Good on ya Matt

Boyd saw plenty of good signs from his teammates in terms of fighting spirit, intensity and the pressure they applied on Fremantle

nah made a big mistake in the dying minutes he he should be dropped:D

SonofScray
27-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Thought that the game and this combined really highlight his value as a leader. I am usually a bit skeptical about seeing Boydy rack up huge numbers for reasons which have been well worn on this forum, however, the Freo game was a great performance in my eyes.

A lot of decisive work in close and strong clearance play when it counted. A ruthless assessment of your own game when it is easy to write it off as a 'brave' loss. Thats some real character.

Go_Dogs
27-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Good article.

If he could match that sort of effort as far as ball winning and nulifying an opponent with consistently solid disposal al la Swan, he'd be an out and out star.

AndrewP6
27-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Good honesty and selfless to accept the responsibility, even if a tad self-critical.

Dry Rot
28-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Wasn't Boyd playing on Pavlich?

Sockeye Salmon
28-04-2011, 01:13 AM
Wasn't Boyd playing on Pavlich?

Griffen was

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 09:33 AM
I really don't see who else could have been captain at the end of last season. True grit.

Mantis
28-04-2011, 09:46 AM

Good on ya Matt

Actions speak louder than words GD.

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 10:18 AM
You dont see Judd coming out and saying that after Carlton get done.

Ozza
28-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Griffen was

Griffen was until quarter time, but (as Rocket mentioned on SEN this morning) they didn't feel it was working - so switched Boyd to Pavlich after quarter time.

Desipura
28-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Griffen was until quarter time, but (as Rocket mentioned on SEN this morning) they didn't feel it was working - so switched Boyd to Pavlich after quarter time.
And he proved he can negate as well as get a heap of it. I would love to see Cross do this, it may prelong his career.

Mofra
28-04-2011, 10:41 AM
The first principle of leadership as taught to military officers is to "seek and accept responsibility".
Sounds exactly like what Boyd is doing here.

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Good article for mine - it shows leadership and accepting responsibility as a leader! Congratulations on the bub too!:D Guess we can't have a father/daughter rule in the future, can we?:D

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Good article for mine - it shows leadership and accepting responsibility as a leader! Congratulations on the bub too!:D Guess we can't have a father/daughter rule in the future, can we?:D

That may be the extra couple of percent we've been looking for all these years !