PDA

View Full Version : Broadcast Lunacy

The Adelaide Connection
27-04-2011, 06:28 PM
I have a number of gripes with the fixture and broadcast schedules, but I know that $$$ talk and the "bigger pulling" teams/games are given prime billing and thus we are banished from free to air for much of the season.

How in the heck then did Foxtel manage to get both of the Essendon v Geelong and Collingwood v WB games (both on Sunday)? They will undoubtedly be the two biggest pulling games (in terms of viewers and supporters) and when fixturing based on last seasons results/this season predictions these games would have to been predicted as the "highest interest".

Dumbfounded.

bornadog
27-04-2011, 10:31 PM
I have a number of gripes with the fixture and broadcast schedules, but I know that $$$ talk and the "bigger pulling" teams/games are given prime billing and thus we are banished from free to air for much of the season.

How in the heck then did Foxtel manage to get both of the Essendon v Geelong and Collingwood v WB games (both on Sunday)? They will undoubtedly be the two biggest pulling games (in terms of viewers and supporters) and when fixturing based on last seasons results/this season predictions these games would have to been predicted as the "highest interest".

Dumbfounded.

Time to get Foxtel.

The Adelaide Connection
28-04-2011, 12:36 AM
Time to get Foxtel.

I actually do have it, it is not me I am concerned about. Shelf space is critical to selling a product, we get less than our fair share and we are now getting bumped for "lesser products". This should be one game that we are guaranteed to be on prime time, there should be no Demetriou excuse not to be.

Remi Moses
28-04-2011, 02:45 AM
Personally I'm glad Foxtel do get some decent games.
Word is Foxtel is going get all games next year!

G-Mo77
28-04-2011, 04:27 AM

AFL Channel coming back apparently. WIth 7 and Foxtel set to secure the rights.

I really can't afford Foxtel (Austar) so I'm gutted.

chef
28-04-2011, 07:22 AM

Yep, live footy without ads. Awesome:).

chef
28-04-2011, 07:23 AM
AFL Channel coming back apparently. WIth 7 and Foxtel set to secure the rights.

I really can't afford Foxtel (Austar) so I'm gutted.

Pretty easy to find games on the net for free.

Topdog
28-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Yep, live footy without ads. Awesome:).

Apparently if the game is simulcast then they will have ads like 7.

The Coon Dog
28-04-2011, 10:03 AM
If there is a dedicated AFL channel, I'll bet its over & above the normal cost.

Bulldog4life
28-04-2011, 10:17 AM
If there is a dedicated AFL channel, I'll bet its over & above the normal cost.

Good point. But the only reason we have Foxtel is for the AFL. Hoping they will bring back a dedicated AFL channel even if it does cost more.

Topdog
28-04-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm sure it will be TCD. It will be interesting to see how they do it. From May - October the only sport I watch on Foxtel is AFL with a few games of NBA when I am home but that finishes in June.

If it is an additional channel that doesn't need Sport, I'd get rid of Sport for those 3-4 months and then get rid of the AFL channel October-March.

Greystache
28-04-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm sure it will be TCD. It will be interesting to see how they do it. From May - October the only sport I watch on Foxtel is AFL with a few games of NBA when I am home but that finishes in June.

If it is an additional channel that doesn't need Sport, I'd get rid of Sport for those 3-4 months and then get rid of the AFL channel October-March.

I'd say with almost 100% certainty it will be an add on to the sports package. The opportunity to double sell is there, they'll take it.

Topdog
28-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Yeah I fear that. I am hanging onto Foxtel at the moment but sacrificing other things. If it goes up again it will be a struggle to hold onto it. I also wanna hold onto it so I keep my employee discount that is still on there for some reason.

Greystache
28-04-2011, 12:07 PM
My guess is the AFL channel will be about a $15 add on to sport.

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 12:32 PM
We have Foxtel mainly for the NRL & NASCAR. I rarely watch the Bulldogs on tv, just get way too frustrated. I feel that if I'm yelling at the game then I'm helping them in some way. Yelling in the loungeroom just scares the cats. :D

G-Mo77
28-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Pretty easy to find games on the net for free.

I shouldn't have to go to these lengths to watch an Australian game on TV.

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 12:57 PM
I have foxtel just so I can watch nearly every bulldog game in SA. I used to watch the premier league as well but I cant be bothered getting up for it anymore.

I am most angry when the same Crows game is on free and fox, so all on fox will be a bonus for me. I dont think they will charge huge amounts for a dedicated AFL channel if you have the sports package.

Murphy'sLore
28-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Heard Francis Leach on SEN yesterday discussing the situation in the UK where the football broadcasting is so tightly controlled that the free to air broadcasters can't even have access to footage for news reports -- they have to show still photos!

So I guess we are not so badly off.

Yet.

bornadog
28-04-2011, 01:20 PM
I shouldn't have to go to these lengths to watch an Australian game on TV.

Hang on, pre foxtel we were lucky to watch a couple of full games on free to air a week and highlights of others. If you want to watch every match you have to cough up some bickies.

G-Mo77
28-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Hang on, pre foxtel we were lucky to watch a couple of full games on free to air a week and highlights of others. If you want to watch every match you have to cough up some bickies.

There was only 5 channels back then, bit different now.

We're forcing people to throw away working TV's and buy news ones so they can get Digital TV. Keeping Australian sport free was a key behind the campaign. Now they'll have to pay to watch their team play.

Just doesn't seem fair to me.

Topdog
28-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Official announcement has been delayed by an hour.

bornadog
28-04-2011, 03:50 PM
There was only 5 channels back then, bit different now.

We're forcing people to throw away working TV's and buy news ones so they can get Digital TV. Keeping Australian sport free was a key behind the campaign. Now they'll have to pay to watch their team play.

Just doesn't seem fair to me.

Thats not true, there are still 4 games per week on free to air? So whats changed?

As for didgital TV, that is just technology moving on. You can get a set top box for $50 and still watch TV, the difference is you get 15 or so free to air channels?

Sedat
28-04-2011, 03:52 PM
$1.253 billion - Andy D will be getting quite a nice bonus this Xmas

Desipura
28-04-2011, 03:55 PM
I can see Foxtel being quiet pricey. Pubs and pokies will be rubbing their hands. I will wait before I re committ to Foxtel. If I have to, I will watch the interstate bulldogs games at a pub.

Hotdog60
28-04-2011, 03:58 PM
I heard you can get live coverage on T box, does anyone know what this is?
Whould it be cheaper then Foxtel?

The Adelaide Connection
28-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Apparently if the game is simulcast then they will have ads like 7.

In the press conference Foxtel really underlined that all 9 games will be live on FOx from siren to siren, so I am guessing as some have suggested they are looking to make the AFL channel an "add-on" to the existing sport package (that and bargaining on getting a whole lot of extra AFL fans now subscribing that hadn't previously).

Greystache
28-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Foxtel saying the new footy channel will be part of their standard sports package. Staggered by that, but a great result!

Hopefully they don't build in extra cost elsewhere.

bornadog
28-04-2011, 04:01 PM
I heard you can get live coverage on T box, does anyone know what this is?
Whould it be cheaper then Foxtel?

TBOX is a media player where you can connect your PC to your TV.

http://www.foxtel.com.au/support/foxtel-on-t-box/what-is-foxtel-on-t-box/default.htm

but you have to be on Bigpond

SlimPickens
28-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Foxtel saying the new footy channel will be part of their standard sports package. Staggered by that, but a great result!

Hopefully they don't build in extra cost elsewhere.

Kim Williams (CEO of foxtel) gave a great politicians answer when queried on that, fair to say prices of foxtel will increase across the board not specifically the sports package.

The Adelaide Connection
28-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Did anyone else hear the drums of doom when Demetriou outlined that "Showcase games" will be on free to air?

Heading back to my original post, if we are not a "Showcase game" this weekend when we are a supposed top 4 (predicted top 2 preseason) team against the reigning premiers (and a team that almost EVERY game is viewed as a showcase game) then we are in a serious amount of trouble when our turn comes to have a spell in the lower rungs of the ladder.

Yes one can go and get Foxtel (as I already have being a frustrated SA Bulldogs fan) but there are serious implications for attracting new members to this club. We currently have less members than Port Adelaide and only 3k more than North Melbourne... both of which are seen as in serious strife.

Greystache
28-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Kim Williams (CEO of foxtel) gave a great politicians answer when queried on that, fair to say prices of foxtel will increase across the board not specifically the sports package.

It must do, for them to pay out so much, and offer so much more than before it surely has to go up. It will be interesting to see how much their take up rates increase.

Hotdog60
28-04-2011, 04:13 PM
TBOX is a media player where you can connect your PC to your TV.

http://www.foxtel.com.au/support/foxtel-on-t-box/what-is-foxtel-on-t-box/default.htm

but you have to be on Bigpond

Thanks for the link, all a bit confusing. looking at the pricing do I get foxtel to watch afl for $35 up front and $11 a month for 24 months?
Seems too cheap.

The Adelaide Connection
28-04-2011, 04:16 PM
It must do, for them to pay out so much, and offer so much more than before it surely has to go up. It will be interesting to see how much their take up rates increase.

I am guessing they will be charging premium rates for advertising space on their AFL channel too, and if they get really deperate they might start resorting to MMM's model:

"Ok lets take a look at the Carlton Draughts which are brought to you by the Good Guys's who sell the finest Acer computers which will be safe in your house if you have the new range of Lockwood Locks..." Vomit.

BulldogBelle
28-04-2011, 04:19 PM

Also interesting that players have told the AFL they want a fixed 27 per cent cut of all future revenues- thats about $3.7M per club per season payrise....if its all distributed equallly

Total AFL rights over 5 years $1,253,000,000

$$$s per season $250,600,000

27% to players per season $67,662,000

per club per season (18 clubs) $3,759,000

Average per player increase per season $93,975

Remi Moses
28-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Heard Francis Leach on SEN yesterday discussing the situation in the UK where the football broadcasting is so tightly controlled that the free to air broadcasters can't even have access to footage for news reports -- they have to show still photos!

So I guess we are not so badly off.

Yet.

Yeah in the late 90's they had pay TV where they had a sky sports and News channel package! Can't understand why Fox don't do it here,surely if it was a touch cheaper and less stations full of piffle.

Sedat
28-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Total AFL rights over 5 years $1,253,000,000

$$$s per season $250,600,000
In 1987, the ABC got the then VFL rights for $1 million, after there was a dispute bewteen the VFL and Channel 7 (who got the rights back in 1988). That's inflation in the last 25 years that Argentina would be proud of!

G-Mo77
28-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Thats not true, there are still 4 games per week on free to air? So whats changed?

As for didgital TV, that is just technology moving on. You can get a set top box for $50 and still watch TV, the difference is you get 15 or so free to air channels?

Well not much has changed really has changed really but with more teams it means less FTA exposure and guess who'll miss out. So many channels are there now on FTA which could all be utilised to promote our game to everyone in Australia not just people who can afford to throw down $65 - $70 a month.

Bigpond again, what a waste.

Remi Moses
28-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Agree about Telstra (worries me about I phone and Internet access)
Just wonder if they'll do what MLB do in the states,where you pay a subscription fee and can watch your side play every week on your phone or I Pad.

aker39
28-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the link, all a bit confusing. looking at the pricing do I get foxtel to watch afl for $35 up front and $11 a month for 24 months?
Seems too cheap.

That is correct AT THE MOMENT. You can currently watch every game on replay.

When the AFL goes live, I'm sure there will be an additional fee to pay.

BulldogBelle
28-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Well not much has changed really has changed really but with more teams it means less FTA exposure and guess who'll miss out. So many channels are there now on FTA which could all be utilised to promote our game to everyone in Australia not just people who can afford to throw down $65 - $70 a month.

I'm VERY happy with my BigPond Cable connection, and VERY happy that I'll be able to watch all games via the T-Box or on the mobile

In addition, Telstra will broadcast all matches including finals using the Telstra NextG service that can be viewed on mobile phones and iPads.

Every home-and-away match will be broadcast live on Fox Sports through Foxtel (and Austar where applicable), using both subscription television and IPTV (internet protocol television).

The introduction of IPTV will see games streamed using the Internet to devices such as the Telstra T-Box.

The Adelaide Connection
28-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Agree about Telstra (worries me about I phone and Internet access)
Just wonder if they'll do what MLB do in the states,where you pay a subscription fee and can watch your side play every week on your phone or I Pad.

I am not sure why this is a bad thing, in fact this is the part of the new deal that worries me the least. It is a new service that is not going to compromise the TV side of things, will just be an added bonus for some people.

What I would like to see is a bit of a shakeup with the Telstra and Club websites.

aker39
28-04-2011, 04:39 PM
The introduction of IPTV will see games streamed using the Internet to devices such as the Telstra T-Box. [/I]

I am sure there will be a fee for live games through the T-Box.

The Adelaide Connection
28-04-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm VERY happy with my BigPond Cable connection, and VERY happy that I'll be able to watch all games via the T-Box

In addition, Telstra will broadcast all matches including finals using the Telstra NextG service that can be viewed on mobile phones and iPads.

Every home-and-away match will be broadcast live on Fox Sports through Foxtel (and Austar where applicable), using both subscription television and IPTV (internet protocol television).

The introduction of IPTV will see games streamed using the Internet to devices such as the Telstra T-Box.

From what I can gather this will be a pay-per-view arrangement, similar to if you were to watch a movie on your T-box. Still, would be better than forking out for Foxtel on top of your T-box.

bornadog
28-04-2011, 04:51 PM

Go back to the 1980's and even the 90's and we were rarely on free to air TV. Nothing has changed, they love Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and the smaller teams get less exposure. This will just continue.

I bet demitroiu has already guaranteed what teams Channel 7 will be able to broadcast because he will doctor the FIXture to suit the broadcast rights.

G-Mo77
28-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Go back to the 1980's and even the 90's and we were rarely on free to air TV. Nothing has changed, they love Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and the smaller teams get less exposure. This will just continue.

I bet demitroiu has already guaranteed what teams Channel 7 will be able to broadcast because he will doctor the FIXture to suit the broadcast rights.

That's what gets up my nose. Everything is in place to change that with so many FTA stations now.

BulldogBelle
28-04-2011, 05:04 PM
From what I can gather this will be a pay-per-view arrangement, similar to if you were to watch a movie on your T-box. Still, would be better than forking out for Foxtel on top of your T-box.

Agree

Additional Foxtel isnt worth the money

Found this link

http://www.itwire.com/your-it-news/mobility/46801-telstra-tops-tv-with-afl

All matches including pre-season, home and away, finals and the grand final will be streamed live to customers who subscribe to Telstra’s FOXTEL on T-Box service which will be launching shortly. This may also extend to other IPTV-enabled devices connected to Telstra BigPond fixed broadband services. This includes one match per round that will be made available to Telstra T-Box customers regardless of whether they are subscribed to the FOXTEL on T-Box service.

So T-Box users will get 5 live games included instead of 4

I also like the AFL TV channel on the T-Box- thats included as well

AFL TV is around-the-clock action featuring the best of the AFL regular-season action, the finals series replays, highlights, player interviews and much more. This is 24/7 footy at its best.
http://preview.cms.bigpond.com/tv/channels/index.jsp

With a T-Box you get a pretty sweet deal without having to pay extra $$$s for all of the crap on FOXTEL- when the Dogs arent playing on one of the 5 lives games per round I'll just goto the pub

The Adelaide Connection
28-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Agree

Additional Foxtel isnt worth the money

Found this link

http://www.itwire.com/your-it-news/mobility/46801-telstra-tops-tv-with-afl

All matches including pre-season, home and away, finals and the grand final will be streamed live to customers who subscribe to Telstra’s FOXTEL on T-Box service which will be launching shortly. This may also extend to other IPTV-enabled devices connected to Telstra BigPond fixed broadband services. This includes one match per round that will be made available to Telstra T-Box customers regardless of whether they are subscribed to the FOXTEL on T-Box service.

So T-Box users will get 5 live games included instead of 4

I also like the AFL TV channel on the T-Box- thats included as well

AFL TV is around-the-clock action featuring the best of the AFL regular-season action, the finals series replays, highlights, player interviews and much more. This is 24/7 footy at its best.
http://preview.cms.bigpond.com/tv/channels/index.jsp

With a T-Box you get a pretty sweet deal without having to pay extra $$$s for all of the crap on FOXTEL- when the Dogs arent playing on one of the 5 lives games per round I'll just goto the pub

My biggest question here would be what sort of quality will the stream be? At present I have just got the regular Foxtel IQ and I am even considering upgrading that to the HD version (you really notice the difference between the HD free to air and SD Foxtel). Will the stream be HD and if so what sort of connection do you need to comfortably cope with the data?

bornadog
28-04-2011, 05:45 PM
My biggest question here would be what sort of quality will the stream be? At present I have just got the regular Foxtel IQ and I am even considering upgrading that to the HD version (you really notice the difference between the HD free to air and SD Foxtel). Will the stream be HD and if so what sort of connection do you need to comfortably cope with the data?

HD quality is an issue on TBOX - refer here for more detail:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1672127

LostDoggy
29-04-2011, 02:02 PM

Haven't seen it mentioned but it would be good if this included Foxtel On Demand so it is available for those of us without Bigpond. Currently has live rugby but not AFL.