PDA

View Full Version : Jake Niall Kicks Cooney out of bounds

Ghost Dog
28-04-2011, 06:49 AM
Time to deliver
Jake Niall
April 28, 2011

IN THE course of the AFL's longest round, Paul Chapman, Scott Pendlebury and Jobe Watson all did what Adam Cooney was unable to do on Anzac Day evening - they kicked goals at critical moments.

Chapman twice booted important goals from 55 metres, taking responsibility by having the long shot.

Watson, who isn't a penetrating kick, sank an important one from the edge of the 50-metre arc that kept the then struggling Dons in touch in the second term, while Pendlebury nailed two angle shots with high degrees of difficulty - one left foot, the other right - in pressure situations.

Cooney had four opportunities to goal and missed all of them, sending one out on the full. His final opportunity was from about 40 metres at a slight angle and almost certainly would have ''iced'' the game for the Bulldogs, giving them a 12-point lead in time-on.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/time-to-deliver-20110427-1dwwp.html#ixzz1Kkqd4kgf

Nothing much to read here. Takes a swing at Adam, Luke Darcy defends him.
Article points out good call, Boyd as captaincy choice. ( if we see a repeat of Monday, or any esky lid surfing I'll agree ok? )
Questions his ability to impose himself on the game ( remind everyone, it was a game and everyone has a bad day at the office )
Brownlow medals don't come with McBurger meals Jake.
Negative journalism a la Robert Walls.:rolleyes:

Mantis
28-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Nothing much to read here. Takes a swing at Adam, Luke Darcy defends him.

I disagree and think it is a good article.

And how very unlike Luke to defend a Bulldogs player.

Questions his ability to impose himself on the game ( remind everyone, it was a game and everyone has a bad day at the office )

When did Adam last impose himself on a big or important game?

Jake is normally pretty circumspect with his views and has every right to question our best and highest paid player when he feels that he isn't pulling his weight.

chef
28-04-2011, 08:36 AM

Agree.

Cooney was the player I was most disappointed with on the weekend.

Hotdog60
28-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Time to deliver
Jake Niall
April 28, 2011

Watson, who isn't a penetrating kick, sank an important one from the edge of the 50-metre arc that kept the then struggling Dons in touch in the second term, while Pendlebury nailed two angle shots with high degrees of difficulty - one left foot, the other right - in pressure situations.

Cooney had four opportunities to goal and missed all of them, sending one out on the full. His final opportunity was from about 40 metres at a slight angle and almost certainly would have ''iced'' the game for the Bulldogs, giving them a 12-point lead in time-on.

Brownlow medals don't come with McBurger meals Jake.

I'm also critical about this bit and a champion should have nailed at least 3 of them, yes you don't get Brownlows in McBurger meals but since winning the Brownlow Adam has not hit any consistency in his performances.

SlimPickens
28-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Agree.

Cooney was the player I was most disappointed with on the weekend.

Absolutely, I think the article is pretty fair really. For the dogs to be at their best, Cooney needs to be at his best. Unfortunately we haven't seen this for a little while now.

Desipura
28-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Cooney & Lake should be setting the trend, they failed to stand up when we needed them to.
This week presents a huge challenge to our leaders to set the tone

aker39
28-04-2011, 09:55 AM
IN THE course of the AFL's longest round, Paul Chapman, Scott Pendlebury and Jobe Watson all did what Adam Cooney was unable to do on Anzac Day evening - they kicked goals at critical moments.

I was at the Hawks v Pies game and I actually thought of Cooney's misses, but not in relation to Chapman, more so Menzel and Duncan. These 2 young players both kicked crucial goals, from about 40m-45m out and I couldn't help but think of the nights before misses from Cooney.

Mofra
28-04-2011, 10:34 AM
It's not just Cooney - there are a few who need to be setting the pace.
The team has lost some of the vibe of their top 4 years - Cooney is with Lake, Hudson & Hall in terms of reduced output this year. Of these guys, Cooney is the one most likely to be able to recover quickly.

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 10:39 AM
It's not just Cooney - there are a few who need to be setting the pace.
The team has lost some of the vibe of their top 4 years - Cooney is with Lake, Hudson & Hall in terms of reduced output this year. Of these guys, Cooney is the one most likely to be able to recover quickly.

Let's hope so Mofra - it is time for these "younger" senior players to step up to the plate. We all know Cooney's ability, but he often fails to display it when it is needed most - I guess there are a few who need to grab the game by the throat and rip it up!;)

bornadog
28-04-2011, 10:40 AM
I thought the article was spot on.

The way I see Cooney is he is too laid back. I heard Darcy talking about him recently and he said when Cooney first came to the club he would be in the rooms practically sleeping before a game whereas other guys were nervous and raring to go. That changed after a few seasons. The point being he doesn't seem to take footy as seriously as he could. Cooney also said recently he could see himself fishing all day when he was around 30 years old????? That again tells me he is not as serious about the footy.

Really, he needs to pull his finger out, especially this week as he really can be elite if he put in 110%.

Bulldog Revolution
28-04-2011, 11:26 AM

The point being he doesn't seem to take footy as seriously as he could. Cooney also said recently he could see himself fishing all day when he was around 30 years old????? That again tells me he is not as serious about the footy.

I thought the article was fine. His performance on the weekend was bound to attract it this type of attention. At least it was better than his disgraceful round 1 efforts.

But Bornadog - doesn't that sound like a throwaway line from Cooney?

I'm happy enough if he fishes all day at 30+ but gives it everything he has got now.

I dont think his fishing comment has anything to do with anything much - sounds like Cooney being the lovable larrikin that he is.

Not all players are made to be Matt Boyd, Daniel Cross, Dale Morris types. Cooney is a laid back guy, but I think it would be foolish to mistake that for him not being serious about his footy.

Cyberdoggie
28-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Cooney has been missing easy shots for way too long now, you can even tell from those photos on the article that he is leaning back too much when he is taking the kick.
I do it all the time in indoor soccer and the ball just skies itself. Seems to be a habit of mine when i'm exhausted and i take a wild swing at it. Could be a habit of Adam's as well.

Swoop
28-04-2011, 11:47 AM
I don't have a problem with his persona, Dane Swan is very much in the same mould and that doesn't affect his football but certainly his performances have been below par and it's about time he began imposing himself more consistently on games.

The question does need to be asked, is it possible that Cooney is a very good player but may never actually become a genuine elite superstar aka Daniel Wells for example?

Sedat
28-04-2011, 12:06 PM
The question does need to be asked, is it possible that Cooney is a very good player but may never actually become a genuine elite superstar aka Daniel Wells for example?
Interesting question. I personally think that Cooney is a jet of the competition and has an incredibly quick mind and reflexes to go with his pace and ball winning ability at the stoppages. He was very poor with his finishing on Monday and he was also poor with his decision-making around the ground, which is most unusual for him. I still think he has the tools to be a regular top 10 player of the competition but he needs continuity with his training to be able to get the best our of himself. He also needs to impose himself in a game of significance against top-shelf opposition - he has a great opportunity to do so this Sunday.

I was very happy when I saw this article because Cooney needed a public clip over the ears for his sub-standard performance on Monday. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Niall's article whatsoever - balanced and objective criticism that was well researched, unlike 99% of Bulldogs articles in the newspapers that aren't written by Mark Stevens.

Luke Darcy is fast becoming one of the most annoying cheerleaders in the football media. I basically take no regard of anything he says in relation to the Bulldogs.

ratsmac
28-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Cooney was disappointing on Monday with his disposal only I thought. His efforts are certainly there. We expect a lot from Cooney and so we should therefore this criticism is warranted.
Good article I thought too.

G-Mo77
28-04-2011, 01:43 PM
I was very happy when I saw this article because Cooney needed a public clip over the ears for his sub-standard performance on Monday. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Niall's article whatsoever - balanced and objective criticism that was well researched, unlike 99% of Bulldogs articles in the newspapers that aren't written by Mark Stevens.

He's been escaping it a lot and I'm also happy to see something written about his poor form. Lets hope that he comes out against Collingwood and has a blinder and then strings some consistent football together.

Ghost Dog
28-04-2011, 01:49 PM

And how very unlike Luke to defend a Bulldogs player.

When did Adam last impose himself on a big or important game?

Jake is normally pretty circumspect with his views and has every right to question our best and highest paid player when he feels that he isn't pulling his weight.

Luke knows what's going on in the Kennel more than most. I guess that's why they asked him.

If Adam had slotted those he would have been the hero of the game. It was a difference of a few kicks on a dewy night where lots of players had butterfingers.
Sure, he gets paid enough to slot those, but he didn't in that game. Thems the breaks and we all know he's more likely to slot them than not.
If the MC didn't feel he couldn't impose himself on big games he wouldn't be in the team.

QUOTE=ratsmac;210433]Cooney was disappointing on Monday with his disposal only I thought. His efforts are certainly there. We expect a lot from Cooney and so we should therefore this criticism is warranted.
[/QUOTE]

Jake Niall has started to branch into other non-sports related journalism I see. " Melbourne is better off with a bigger population" for example :rolleyes: ( 23rd April )
Wonder where he lives....
I rate him right up there with Hutchy personally.

Greystache
28-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Cooney has been missing easy shots for way too long now, you can even tell from those photos on the article that he is leaning back too much when he is taking the kick.

Yep, even as far back as the 2009 qualifying final, we had a small chance to run over Geelong in the last quarter but as usual couldn't convert straight forward chances on the big stage. Cooney missed a set shot from 25m out directly in front.

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 02:11 PM
What I took from that article was Jake Niall analysing Cooney based on what other players had done or achieved, too busy trying to make the point he's no Chapman instead of looking at:

His preseason form — it IS only Round 5
Any injuries he might be carrying
The fact it was humid and slippery and everybody was butchering the ball on both sides

Luke Darcy tried to make those points to actually add some fact to the discussion and is decried as a “cheerleader”.

Here's what I think when I think of Cooney: We got absolutely smashed in the 2010 finals without him.

I hear the same crap about Gia on a constant basis, but watch what happens this week against Collingwood when Maxwell, O'Brien and the entire Collingwood defense rack up 160 SC points each.

Greystache
28-04-2011, 03:08 PM
What I took from that article was Jake Niall analysing Cooney based on what other players had done or achieved, too busy trying to make the point he's no Chapman instead of looking at:

His preseason form — it IS only Round 5
Any injuries he might be carrying
The fact it was humid and slippery and everybody was butchering the ball on both sides

Luke Darcy tried to make those points to actually add some fact to the discussion and is decried as a “cheerleader”.

Here's what I think when I think of Cooney: We got absolutely smashed in the 2010 finals without him.

I hear the same crap about Gia on a constant basis, but watch what happens this week against Collingwood when Maxwell, O'Brien and the entire Collingwood defense rack up 160 SC points each.

How do either of those situations differ from the last 2 years when both of those players played? :confused:

Remi Moses
28-04-2011, 04:14 PM
I agree with the article . Just wondering why people are so defensive, as it's clear Adam has to find another gear. He should have nailed that goal deep in the game.
Making flimsy excuses doesn't cut it.

Desipura
28-04-2011, 05:00 PM
I agree with the article . Just wondering why people are so defensive, as it's clear Adam has to find another gear. He should have nailed that goal deep in the game.
Making flimsy excuses doesn't cut it.
The reason people are defensive is because they have an emotional attachment to the team and take it personally when a player is criticised.

I personally think until Adam "wants" to be elite, he will be a very good player.
It is no coincedence that Swan & Pendlebury became "A" graders last season. We need the same from Griffen, Cooney, Ward & Higgins to name just a few.
They all have the ability to become elite, it would make us challenge the best teams.

Ghost Dog
28-04-2011, 05:06 PM
his form is not terrible. I feel the article over does it

Great contest and Hand pass off to Sherman for a goal against two defenders ( Q3 13:20 )

Some good tackles... he was right in it in regards to intent.
What's not excusable is the really poor decision making. It's a team sport coons!
Not passing off to players in a better position with an open goal. And spraying it out of bounds. Trying to do too much perhaps.
but...he got the ball and took a shot.

Who needs the lable 'elite' anyway? It's just a label and comparing players, who is better than who is all good. But it's a flag we want. I'm sure Adam doesn't give a stuff if people think he's as good or worse than Chapman, Judd etc etc. If he puts in his best effort that's good enough for anyone.

Remi Moses
28-04-2011, 05:28 PM
The reason people are defensive is because they have an emotional attachment to the team and take it personally when a player is criticised.

I personally think until Adam "wants" to be elite, he will be a very good player.
It is no coincedence that Swan & Pendlebury became "A" graders last season. We need the same from Griffen, Cooney, Ward & Higgins to name just a few.
They all have the ability to become elite, it would make us challenge the best teams.

He should be an elite player in the comp period.
Very highly paid player stuff it if he "doesn't give a stuff" it's a business (so we're told) and it's the job of a highly paid employee to perform under pressure in any industry

Desipura
28-04-2011, 05:31 PM

Great contest and Hand pass off to Sherman for a goal against two defenders ( Q3 13:20 )

What's not excusable is the really poor decision making. It's a team sport coons!
Not passing off to players in a better position with an open goal. And spraying it out of bounds. Trying to do too much perhaps.

Who needs the lable 'elite' anyway? I'm sure Adam doesn't give a stuff if people think he's as good or worse than Chapman, Judd etc etc. If he puts in his best effort that's good enough for anyone.
Its what could make the difference in winning a premiership, I need to label him elite as the best players perform when the heat is on.

Cyberdoggie
28-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Yep, even as far back as the 2009 qualifying final, we had a small chance to run over Geelong in the last quarter but as usual couldn't convert straight forward chances on the big stage. Cooney missed a set shot from 25m out directly in front.

He's also got that high ball drop when he kicks the ball.
I'm sure that doesn't help his set shots and i'm certain it's a big part of his poor kicking when he is on the run at full speed.
He kind of slams it on the foot from high up and he misses the timing or drops it poorly.

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 06:50 PM

Yeah, I thought much of the same.
As I posted somewhere else, I thought he worked and ran well on the weekend (or Monday), but what caused him to have a stinker was his disposal and goal kicking.

w3design
28-04-2011, 07:47 PM
To compare Jake Niall with hutchinson is ridiculous! Niall 's articles are analytical, informative and about the tactics of the game.. I don't imagine him hopping on a plane to hound a recovering drug addict a la Hutchinson. Niall has a valid well reasoned opinion, he is not stooping to personal abuse or innuendo, he makes a clear case. Time will tell if Adam's misses were the product of an unfit guy, one who is too laconic, or one who regularly doesn't deliver on the big stage. I'm not sure myself, but its perfectly legitimate to ask the questions.

I thought the article was fair though it hurt to read it. Watching hawks/cats I thought exactly the same when I watched their leaders nail critical goals. I am really not sure which bulldog player has that sort of temperament...which sadly is part of our long stanfing problems.

Ghost Dog
28-04-2011, 08:05 PM
To compare Jake Niall with hutchinson is ridiculous! Niall 's articles are analytical, informative and about the tactics of the game.. I don't imagine him hopping on a plane to hound a recovering drug addict a la Hutchinson. Niall has a valid well reasoned opinion, he is not stooping to personal abuse or innuendo, he makes a clear case. Time will tell if Adam's misses were the product of an unfit guy, one who is too laconic, or one who regularly doesn't deliver on the big stage. I'm not sure myself, but its perfectly legitimate to ask the questions.

I thought the article was fair though it hurt to read it. Watching hawks/cats I thought exactly the same when I watched their leaders nail critical goals. I am really not sure which bulldog player has that sort of temperament...which sadly is part of our long stanfing problems.

Questioning Boyds ticker? Bobs? Morris? Cross? :rolleyes:

Sure it's not great he missed those shots. But the article unfairly insinuates that he alone is the player that could have 'iced' the game. We weren't good enough as a team.

Higgins, Grant, Barry. All of our fowards had fairly standard shots on goal that went begging.

did you get anything new out of the article? Missed goals are easy to spot but he did plenty of other gutsy things on the night and every hawk ( buddy, roughead ) or Cat ( Hawkins, Mooney ) has a dirty day.

AndrewP6
28-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Can't disagree with the general gist of the article (unfortunately)

AndrewP6
28-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Cooney also said recently he could see himself fishing all day when he was around 30 years old????? That again tells me he is not as serious about the footy.

Maybe he was joking? His Tweets (like Willlbur's) are full of references to food and eating, doesn't mean he's not serious on game day.

MrMahatma
28-04-2011, 11:25 PM
Cooney is defintely overrated - brownlow season aside he's really not had more than a couple of stand out games a season. We very rarely see his best.

Hopefully he takes on the challenge to step it up a notch.

immortalmike
29-04-2011, 12:57 AM

Did you not watch Higgins and Grant nail those critical goals towards the end of the game. They were both under a huge amount of pressure and they delivered.

I don't necessarily disagree with the article but where is the one on Pavlich, who didn't even get much of the ball and quite regularly misses easy shots. Oh wait he's a media love-child and Coons is an easy target.

KT31
29-04-2011, 01:23 AM

I have an emotional attachment to the team and yes Adam missed a goal on the weekend and yes Brian is clearly unfit.
We do need more from our midfield as we have been smashed nearly every week.
Clearly the team is not playing well and we need to work out why.
But Adam Cooney is a elite, he is a Brownlow medalist, who we where all crowing about when he won.
Brian has had an interrupted pre-season and is (as mentioned by all on Woof) when in form the best backman in the competition.
We played Freo, a side in form and with two key backman out in the last 10 minutes and just lost.

G-Mo77
29-04-2011, 02:31 AM
But Adam Cooney is a elite

Is he though?

There is a lot more behind the article than missing a couple of set shots on goal on Monday.

In 2008 I couldn't believe how good this kid was, he was untouchable that year. Those who say otherwise or carry on with the typical line of "Worst Brownlow Medallist" need to pull their head out of their arse and watch some games he played.

Since then it seems to have gone backwards IMO. He can still turn it on at times and when he does it is great, I always think this is what we've been waiting for! The next week it will be a different player. Yes he gets more attention since the brownlow but what "Elite" players don't and not many in this class seem to have trouble with close attention. A tag comes Coons just seems to accept it rather than fight for possession or do smaller things to help the team. Often at times he looks just happy to be jogging around on the ground picking up a lazy possessions and other times he looks completely disinterested. That doesn't describe an elite midfielder in my eyes.

I'm happy to be proved wrong and would also be happy to hear "I told you so" if he does start turning it on again. Please Coons, do it!

westdog54
29-04-2011, 02:57 AM
Did you not watch Higgins and Grant nail those critical goals towards the end of the game. They were both under a huge amount of pressure and they delivered.

I don't necessarily disagree with the article but where is the one on Pavlich, who didn't even get much of the ball and quite regularly misses easy shots. Oh wait he's a media love-child and Coons is an easy target.

BS. I can't remember the last time I saw Cooney get a touch up in the press.

The fact is he's a Brownlow Medallist, one of the highest paid (if not the highest paid) players at the club and was touted as a possible Captain.He's a much better player that what he's been showing in the last couple of weeks and you need elite players if you're going to be a flag contender.

He is one of the ones who needs to lift if we are to be a serious challenger to Collingwood and the criticism in this article is perfectly justified as things tand at the moment.

As for the Pavlich comparison, he'd been in very good form up until Monday and has been Fremantle's leading goalkicer 6 years running. If he's a media love-child its because he's an outstanding player and has been a fine leader of his club for many years.

immortalmike
29-04-2011, 04:08 AM
BS. I can't remember the last time I saw Cooney get a touch up in the press.

The fact is he's a Brownlow Medallist, one of the highest paid (if not the highest paid) players at the club and was touted as a possible Captain.He's a much better player that what he's been showing in the last couple of weeks and you need elite players if you're going to be a flag contender.

He is one of the ones who needs to lift if we are to be a serious challenger to Collingwood and the criticism in this article is perfectly justified as things tand at the moment.

As for the Pavlich comparison, he'd been in very good form up until Monday and has been Fremantle's leading goalkicer 6 years running. If he's a media love-child its because he's an outstanding player and has been a fine leader of his club for many years.

Can't disagree that Pav is a very good player but is he has let his team down on quite a few occasions as he did on Monday.

As I said I don't disagree with the article Coons needs to lift bigtime (in fact I was going to start a thread about Cooney and his laid-back nature keeping him from being as good as Ablett, earlier in the year), just wondering why Pavlich escapes the scrutiny. Dogs players seem to be easy targets in the media, look at the treatment Brad Johnson received after missing a couple of shots to win games. They would never do that to someone like Pavlich.

westdog54
29-04-2011, 04:53 AM
Can't disagree that Pav is a very good player but is he has let his team down on quite a few occasions as he did on Monday.

As I said I don't disagree with the article Coons needs to lift bigtime (in fact I was going to start a thread about Cooney and his laid-back nature keeping him from being as good as Ablett, earlier in the year), just wondering why Pavlich escapes the scrutiny. Dogs players seem to be easy targets in the media, look at the treatment Brad Johnson received after missing a couple of shots to win games. They would never do that to someone like Pavlich.

Pavlich escapes scrutiny for two reasons.

1) He plays for an interstate club. As a general rule, his coverage in the print media (and to a large extent TV) is far less than that of a Melbourne Club.
2) He doesn't deserve it.

I don't buy the argument that Pavlich wouldn't cop it in the media if he was performing far below his standards on a consistent basis. I don't buy that he lets his club down as often as you seem to be suggesting he does. I certainly don't buy the argument that Dogs players are easy targets in the media. Brad Johnson was one player who was almost universally adored by the media. Even twoards the end when his body was starting to fail him many in the media seemed loathed to criticise him.

Remi Moses
29-04-2011, 05:11 AM
Jake Niall is a very good football analyst and writer.
Hutchison is a bin scavenging gossip journo

Sockeye Salmon
29-04-2011, 10:46 AM
We are all underestimating the importance of an uninterupted pre-season

Ghost Dog
29-04-2011, 10:50 AM

Fair enough. Its good to have a favourite sports writer you enjoy reading.
TheAGE does have some good writers. I don't like Niall at all, just a personal taste for writing.

If you're a glass half empty kind of guy, you might enjoy reading it.

Cooney deserves to be criticized for the misses but the wider implications in the article are that he is a player who brings 'doubt' into the side. Bollocks.

The fact is he has really improved since his first game this year. If you step back, his form has come along. jogging round the track during pre-season, Now moving well and once he gets the simple things right and his confidence he'll cause the opposition all kinds of headaches.
The missed goals overshadow some very good things he brought to the team otherwise.

The way he is hoisting his kicks is a real worry / kicking action / agreed but it'snothing to do with guts or fitness or flair. He has that in buckets and that's why he's paid so much. It's a fair deal.

Bulldog Revolution
29-04-2011, 11:09 AM

1) He plays for an interstate club. As a general rule, his coverage in the print media (and to a large extent TV) is far less than that of a Melbourne Club.

I don't buy the argument that Pavlich wouldn't cop it in the media if he was performing far below his standards on a consistent basis. I don't buy that he lets his club down as often as you seem to be suggesting he does. I certainly don't buy the argument that Dogs players are easy targets in the media. Brad Johnson was one player who was almost universally adored by the media. Even twoards the end when his body was starting to fail him many in the media seemed loathed to criticise him.

I agree with most of this westdog

Pavlich has been an absolute superstar

He doesn't cop criticism because hes never deserved it

If anything his role has changed in 2011. I was shocked he had as much of the ball as the stats said he did on Monday night. We were absolutely all over him as a team almost every time he touched it, which was very pleasing to see. He didn't have a great game but was serviceable.

LostDoggy
29-04-2011, 12:39 PM

Absolutely

immortalmike
29-04-2011, 03:04 PM

Just because you don't buy it doesn't mean it's not true.
And where were you when Johnno missed those two shots to win us games, his leadership was called into question as well as his heart.

But fair enough the issue is being sidetracked now. Cooney needs to lift and it has been awhile since we've seen his brownlow form. Hopefully he does this week against the Pies as we're going to need it.

Topdog
29-04-2011, 05:06 PM

But weren't we all told that he had a fantastic pre season and looked brilliant.

Sockeye Salmon
29-04-2011, 05:32 PM
But weren't we all told that he had a fantastic pre season and looked brilliant.

No-one believed that, though. He had surgery on his knee and didn't run before Christmas. Remember he played a practice match for Willi to try and get some extra miles into his legs.

azabob
29-04-2011, 06:57 PM

This is true. Which is why the esky lid fiasco is also very disappointing.

Understand he needs to get away and I have no problem with this but to act how he did was disappointing.

Remi Moses
29-04-2011, 07:24 PM

Don't think missing easy goals at crucial times has anything to do with an interupted pre season. No excuses Cooney should be the money man

LostDoggy
29-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Again people.
Wasn't it his disposal and goal kicking that was the problem???
Ran and read the play well and if he had kicked those goals he would have been BOG in a dogs win.

Remi Moses
29-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Going to say the same thing, O'Brien and Maxwell have murdered us lately!

Sockeye Salmon
30-04-2011, 12:54 AM
Does anyone write about Chris Judd being an ordinary shot for goal?

Ghost Dog
30-04-2011, 01:06 AM
Dogs carry the weight of expectation. Pressure certainly on Coons to perform.

Anyway, It's not important because you can't change the past.
57 years or last year, the only important game is the next one.
Said with great respect to all the fans that have stuck by them and suffered, but like any athlete, fans have to put the past behind them and focus on the next game. Otherwise, its too much, gets over analyzed and negative.

The Underdog
30-04-2011, 01:21 AM

No but as much as I hate to say it Judd has been the best player on the team he's on for about 7 years. Cooney has been the most talented for about 4 but not consistently the best.
Judd has also always projected as a mature leader to the media (and they lap it up), Cooney still projects as smart arse schoolboy.
Judd gets the benefit of the doubt, sometimes unfairly, but Cooney is a long way behind him in most aspects.

AndrewP6
30-04-2011, 02:13 AM
Judd has also always projected as a mature leader to the media (and they lap it up), Cooney still projects as smart arse schoolboy.

Disagree with this assessment. One thing I wouldn't say is that he's a smart arse. Was only a year or two back that he would barely speak, now he's quite open when speaking during interviews and so on. Larrikin, knockabout, yes, but IMO he's no smart arse.

Sorry for the 'a' words, moderators!:eek:

GVGjr
30-04-2011, 08:19 AM
This is true. Which is why the esky lid fiasco is also very disappointing.

Understand he needs to get away and I have no problem with this but to act how he did was disappointing.

The club and the player would have known how bad his injuries were and yet he still couldn't help himself and risked further injury with a juvenile act. Now his injuries that interrupted his pre-season are being used to explain a sub-par performance.
It's a factor for sure but how much slack should we really be cutting him?

Topdog
30-04-2011, 09:16 AM

No

Actually Mike S has written and spoken about it several times.

Desipura
30-04-2011, 11:51 AM
The club and the player would have known how bad his injuries were and yet he still couldn't help himself and risked further injury with a juvenile act. Now his injuries that interrupted his pre-season are being used to explain a sub-par performance.
It's a factor for sure but how much slack should we really be cutting him?

Fair call, could you see Granty, Johnno, Buckley, Hird or Judd doing that during the off season?

No, they will be putting 100 per cent into their rehab knowing how close we/they are to winning a premiership.
There are 15 other teams striving for glory, you cannot take any shortcuts and have to do everything possible to get ahead of your opponents.

How badly does he want it? He is one of our most important players, without him at his best, we will not win a premiership.
Lack of preseason aside, he should be nailing those goals

ratsmac
30-04-2011, 01:54 PM

Hahaha, so true.:D

ratsmac
30-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Disagree with this assessment. One thing I wouldn't say is that he's a smart arse. Was only a year or two back that he would barely speak, now he's quite open when speaking during interviews and so on. Larrikin, knockabout, yes, but IMO he's no smart arse.

Sorry for the 'a' words, moderators!:eek:

Well said Andrew. When I hear the words "smart arse," Stephen Milne come to mind and not Adam Cooney.

LostDoggy
30-04-2011, 02:21 PM
25-30 is usually when an AFL footballer hits their peak, Cooney is currently heading into that area.

Topdog
30-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Fair call, could you see Granty, Johnno, Buckley, Hird or Judd doing that during the off season?

I agree I couldn't see it for the first 4 but to be fair who knows what they got up to. Social media wasn't really around then. Judd is known to have done the odd stupid thing whilst on end of year breaks.

GVGjr
30-04-2011, 07:43 PM
How badly does he want it? He is one of our most important players, without him at his best, we will not win a premiership.
Lack of preseason aside, he should be nailing those goals

I don't think he is as committed yet to getting the best out of himself as he should be but then again a lot of naturally talented players are like that.
I also don't think the injury interrupted pre-season is a good reason for him missing goals.

I believe they club had a special session this week that focused on goal kicking but I wonder if they had players on the mark or just gave the group open looks at the goals and still thought it was a good session.

GVGjr
30-04-2011, 07:45 PM
25-30 is usually when an AFL footballer hits their peak, Cooney is currently heading into that area.

He's had issues with knees and hamstrings so I don't think we can fully count on him getting better in that age bracket. He might however, become more consistent.

Mantis
30-04-2011, 08:54 PM
I believe they club had a special session this week that focused on goal kicking but I wonder if they had players on the mark or just gave the group open looks at the goals and still thought it was a good session.

I watched them have goal kicking practice at a recovery session a few weeks back. I sat directly behind a group who had to kick from about 40m on a 45 deg angle. There was a cross-wind blowing meaning that a kick of normal penetration needed to be started just outside the right hand goal post in order to register a goal. The conversion rate would have been no better than 20% and I was staggered to see how many players started the ball in the middle of the goals even on there 3rd or 4th attempt only to watch the ball miss to the left.

GVGjr
30-04-2011, 09:46 PM
I watched them have goal kicking practice at a recovery session a few weeks back. I sat directly behind a group who had to kick from about 40m on a 45 deg angle. There was a cross-wind blowing meaning that a kick of normal penetration needed to be started just outside the right hand goal post in order to register a goal. The conversion rate would have been no better than 20% and I was staggered to see how many players started the ball in the middle of the goals even on there 3rd or 4th attempt only to watch the ball miss to the left.

Do they have players on the mark or at least does the player lining up for goal have some sort of pressure on him to simulate some game day type pressure or is the session more around technique?

It doesn't surprise me to hear that some of our guys are slow learners. Every time I see these sessions we just don't seem to be as focused as we should be and no one is riding the players on what they should or shouldn't be doing. The coaches don't get as involved as they should be when these skill sessions are being conducted. I think they believe that repetition will lift results and I doubt that it will.

Mantis
30-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Do they have players on the mark or at least does the player lining up for goal have some sort of pressure on him to simulate some game day type pressure or is the session more around technique?

They have a cardboard cut-out type figure to represent the man on the mark.

It doesn't surprise me to hear that some of our guys are slow learners. Every time I see these sessions we just don't seem to be as focused as we should be and no one is riding the players on what they should or shouldn't be doing. The coaches don't get as involved as they should be when these skill sessions are being conducted. I think they believe that repetition will lift results and I doubt that it will.

Pretty sure there was just one assistant coach at the session I watched and no-one seemed to be giving guidance as to where to aim in allowing for the wind, etc..

To me it looked as if the players were simply going through the motions in this session.

GVGjr
30-04-2011, 09:57 PM
They have a cardboard cut-out type figure to represent the man on the mark.

I've seen them do something similar and because of the lack of supervision the players then to kick around obstacle rather than over the top of like they would have to during a game.

Pretty sure there was just one assistant coach at the session I watched and no-one seemed to be giving guidance as to where to aim in allowing for the wind, etc..

To me it looked as if the players were simply going through the motions in this session.

Nothing much has changed then.

Hotdog60
30-04-2011, 11:02 PM
If we are a bit short on from coaches, they should ask past players if they could spare some time on a roster of some sort. Past players that were good at that particular task.
Some of the older guys might enjoy a bit of involvement.

GVGjr
30-04-2011, 11:05 PM
If we are a bit short on from coaches, they should ask past players if they could spare some time on a roster of some sort. Past players that were good at that particular task.
Some of the older guys might enjoy a bit of involvement.

I get what you mean but I don't think this is a staffing issue. I've seen 3 coaches standing back from 50 mtrs chatting.
It comes down to organisation. It might help to get a specialist in as you are suggesting but I don't think our coaching crew know how to run the session effectively and they just hope the players gain something from it rather than driving a result themselves.

Hotdog60
30-04-2011, 11:13 PM
I get what you mean but I don't think this is a staffing issue. I've seen 3 coaches standing back from 50 mtrs chatting.
It comes down to organisation. It might help to get a specialist in as you are suggesting but I don't think our coaching crew know how to run the session effectively and they just hope the players gain something from it rather than driving a result themselves.

This doesn't sound good, is this the result of the so called not enough finances in the footy department. We have a coaching coordinator don't we? Or is this a Rocket job as head coach.

GVGjr
30-04-2011, 11:21 PM
This doesn't sound good, is this the result of the so called not enough finances in the footy department. We have a coaching coordinator don't we? Or is this a Rocket job as head coach.

As I said, I don't think it's a staffing issue it's just the sessions aren't supervised like they should be and seem to be managed from a distance. Lets face it, the forward and midfield coaches should be making this a priority. More staff but no more supervision/ownership won't help.

From what I have witnessed it always seems to be a lazy session and I doubt we get the required results from it.

Hotdog60
30-04-2011, 11:45 PM
As I said, I don't think it's a staffing issue it's just the sessions aren't supervised like they should be and seem to be managed from a distance. Lets face it, the forward and midfield coaches should be making this a priority. More staff but no more supervision/ownership won't help.

From what I have witnessed it always seems to be a lazy session and I doubt we get the required results from it.

What I trying to say is shouldn't someone be telling or coaches to get more involved with the players, golfers have coaches that when there game is not right they have one on one assessment. Maybe its just the way our coaches go about it, if thats the case I would fine it hard to get that extra improvement needed. Like the kicking for goal and the majority missing a high percentage because of the wind, if there was a supervisor of some sort they should tell the forward coach to go over and tell then what they are doing wrong instead of hanging back and chewing the fat.

Ghost Dog
01-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Lets start a petition. Adam gets a personalized goal kicking coach hence forth ^_^

bornadog
01-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Lets start a petition. Adam gets a personalized goal kicking coach hence forth ^_^

One of his issues with his kicking is he tends to get underneath the ball and scoops it very high up. His personal kicking coach should be Gilbee, but then again he has been down a bit with his kicking.

Ghost Dog
01-05-2011, 01:55 PM
One of his issues with his kicking is he tends to get underneath the ball and scoops it very high up. His personal kicking coach should be Gilbee, but then again he has been down a bit with his kicking.

http://images.smh.com.au/2011/04/28/2329457/wbAFLcooney460x307-300x200.jpg

A little like this?

SPower
01-05-2011, 08:29 PM
As long as he leans back the kick could go anywhere !!!!