PDA

View Full Version : A new way to defend Gia

Topdog
28-04-2011, 08:28 AM
whenever someone starts saying how useless he is.

Get the person, drag them in front of a TV and make them watch the Freo game. Then every time we are going forward point at the screen and say "Gia would be providing an option there".

Absolutely pathetic across half forward until Higgo started doing something in the last.

If Gia is out Murphy must play that role.

chef
28-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Stack was as handy at providing an option across half forward last year before he got injured.

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Were we a player short in that position?

Gia didn't play that game, while he would have been handy, that's crystal balling TD.

I wouldn't show the Freo game to my worst enemy. It's up there with last seasons early game against the Aints in terms of "please memory erase, please".

choconmientay
28-04-2011, 09:52 AM

Get the person, drag them in front of a TV and make them watch the Freo game. Then every time we are going forward point at the screen and say "Gia would be providing an option there".

Absolutely pathetic across half forward until Higgo started doing something in the last.

Watching the game from the Pub, I did screamed a number of times when we are entering our forward 50 .... "Would someone please give him some leads/options" and was disappointed that there was not much on offer. Maybe without Gia did show us that we are missing him in that position. Anyone know what happened to Veszpremi? Could he be handy in that position as he has showed us in the intra match and NAB cup that he is very capable of.

Desipura
28-04-2011, 09:56 AM
I really dont see the point of this thread, all hypothetical.

SlimPickens
28-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Watching the game from the Pub, I did screamed a number of times when we are entering our forward 50 .... "Would someone please give him some leads/options" and was disappointed that there was not much on offer. Maybe without Gia did show us that we are missing him in that position. Anyone know what happened to Veszpremi? Could he be handy in that position as he has showed us in the intra match and NAB cup that he is very capable of.

From all reports Vesz was a big chance to play last week before breaking his finger at training. I agree that he could be handy as a lead up type player. My only query is his workrate/fitness to play such a role.

We do miss Murphy in the lead up role but IMO he is way more valuable across half back.

Topdog
28-04-2011, 11:56 AM

Really? I never see the problems we had providing an option. That is what Gia does week in, week out. How is it hypothetical?

Desipura
28-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Really? I never see the problems we had providing an option. That is what Gia does week in, week out. How is it hypothetical?

If we had Wood, Murphy could have provided a leading type option up forward.
If Vez played, he could have done the same.

stefoid
28-04-2011, 12:09 PM
If Gia had played, we would have won. I have no hesitation is saying that. He averages over a goal a game and 2 scoring assists per game. Gets to the right places and can mark the ball in congested spaces.

A blunt spear is just a stick, and thats what we had against freo.

Greystache
28-04-2011, 12:23 PM

The Freo game was a mirror image of the Collingwood final last year, no options to kick to except for one forward with 3 opponents on them, Gia played in that game.

No forward line structure against teams with strong defence has been a problem going back to 2009, Gia has certainly not been a solution. Not sure why Monday would have been different.

Topdog
28-04-2011, 12:52 PM
If we had Wood, Murphy could have provided a leading type option up forward.
If Vez played, he could have done the same.

Well I said Murphy should have gone forward already. You really think Vez would give the same output?

ratsmac
28-04-2011, 01:12 PM

I was surprised that Bobby didn't play at half forward without Gia there.
This I would of thought was a given.

Desipura
28-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Well I said Murphy should have gone forward already. You really think Vez would give the same output?
Like you, Im hypothetically speaking. No one will ever know

ratsmac
28-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Gia is super important to the bulldogs. When he plays one of those poor games we know he can at times, we normally get slapped. But when he is leading up, running into space, chasing, tackling and most importantly setting up goals, we look a much better team. I knew it would cost us without him on Monday night.

Sorry Desipura but half the discussions on this forum are usually hypothetical, so read another thread if it doesn't interest you.

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Stack was as handy at providing an option across half forward last year before he got injured.

In one game, what about the others? I think you must be kidding.

Anyway, Gia is a great servant of the club and is very important.

I would like to see Ves out there too.

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 02:16 PM

Far and away the Post Of The Year.

Topdog
28-04-2011, 03:06 PM
The Freo game was a mirror image of the Collingwood final last year, no options to kick to except for one forward with 3 opponents on them, Gia played in that game.

No forward line structure against teams with strong defence has been a problem going back to 2009, Gia has certainly not been a solution. Not sure why Monday would have been different.

Our final option has been the problem against the very good defensive sides (Collingwood, Saints). Our problem on Monday was the 2nd final option. We had nothing from the 50 - centre.

I'm not saying he is some kind of messiah but if people can't see what he brings even after that performance well there is no point defending him because they simply aren't watching the game.

Oh and Freo aren't a strong defensive team.

Desipura
28-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Gia is super important to the bulldogs. When he plays one of those poor games we know he can at times, we normally get slapped. But when he is leading up, running into space, chasing, tackling and most importantly setting up goals, we look a much better team. I knew it would cost us without him on Monday night.

Sorry Desipura but half the discussions on this forum are usually hypothetical, so read another thread if it doesn't interest you.
Ok, will do.

The Coon Dog
28-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Ok, will do.

Bet you don't! ;)

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 06:16 PM
I thought Sherman played well in that role and if the game plan didn't require every man and his dog to follow the ball around maybe we would have had someone to kick to.

Add the fact that the Mids have Hall blinkers on and of course we look stupid. Also whatever happened to controlling the pill for a while until the players can get into position. Tempo Football anyone.

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 06:44 PM
IMO it's funny that probably the key to our FWD structure is getting Wood & Ryan H' back.
That would let Murph and Gia run around the half Fwd and hopefully deliver it into Full FWD.

chef
28-04-2011, 08:10 PM
In one game, what about the others? I think you must be kidding.

Anyway, Gia is a great servant of the club and is very important.

I would like to see Ves out there too.

He did it for more than one game last year. Check out the game against the Swans in Canberra for starters.

Hotdog60
28-04-2011, 10:58 PM
IMO it's funny that probably the key to our FWD structure is getting Wood & Ryan H' back.
That would let Murph and Gia run around the half Fwd and hopefully deliver it into Full FWD.

If Murph goes back to the forward line it will only for very short stints, I think he's in the back line to preserve his career because of his knees.

Go_Dogs
29-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Our final option has been the problem against the very good defensive sides (Collingwood, Saints). Our problem on Monday was the 2nd final option. We had nothing from the 50 - centre.

I think the problem has been the chf area for ages. Against sides with good pressure we seem to resort to hopeful kicks to no one from the defensive side of centre and continually lack solid targets across the forward of centre area. Yes, the final option has also been an issue, but I think it goes a bit deeper than that.

Mofra
29-04-2011, 10:22 AM
I think the problem has been the chf area for ages. Against sides with good pressure we seem to resort to hopeful kicks to no one from the defensive side of centre and continually lack solid targets across the forward of centre area. Yes, the final option has also been an issue, but I think it goes a bit deeper than that.
In some respects we don't need someone to dominate at CHF, just someone who will lead & present. If we force a spillage, we should have the midfielders running onto the contested situation where we were one of the best teams in the competition last year.

We desperately need a "get out" option for when we are under pressure on the HB line.

stefoid
30-04-2011, 03:07 PM
If Murph goes back to the forward line it will only for very short stints, I think he's in the back line to preserve his career because of his knees.

Maybe, but the fact is he is one of our best players to be able to use the ball creatively out of defense -- we have enough tall forwards on the list, we just need to get games into them - jones, grant, roughead, maybe even skinner when he is fit enough. We need to play these guys.