PDA

View Full Version : Dogs still believe: Eade

Hotdog60
28-04-2011, 03:12 PM
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20U-Z/Eade_Rd2010_246a.jpg

THE WESTERN Bulldogs haven't enjoyed an ideal preparation for their clash against Collingwood, but coach Rodney Eade says his players won't be lacking in confidence when they take on the unbeaten premiership favourites.

The difficult task of toppling the Pies has been made harder by the Dogs' short turnaround after Monday night's loss to Fremantle in Perth that was played in energy-sapping conditions.

Adding to Eade's concerns ahead of Sunday's game at the MCG are the fitness clouds hanging over Tom Williams (back) and Shaun Higgins (general soreness), but the coach asserts his players are undaunted by the task ahead of them.

"The belief is there - I've got no problem with that," he said from Whitten Oval on Thursday.

"Even with coming back from Perth and the result there the belief has been good. I've got no doubt that the players have got the belief they can beat anyone. When you've got that mindset it's always a plus.

MORE (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/112545/default.aspx)

Greystache
28-04-2011, 03:15 PM
We get this "we have great belief" speech 5 times every year, the result is always the same. I guess they figure if it gets said enough eventually they'll believe. I'd prefer to hear "we always had the belief" speech AFTER we finally bet a top team.

The Coon Dog
28-04-2011, 03:20 PM
We get this "we have great belief" speech 5 times every year, the result is always the same. I guess they figure if it gets said enough eventually they'll believe. I'd prefer to hear "we always had the belief" speech AFTER we finally bet a top team.

So when he's asked by a journo whether the Dog's still have belief, he shouldn't answer it?

G-Mo77
28-04-2011, 03:21 PM

I've gotten that way as well. I've always been pretty optimistic or at least I try to be over the years. I'll believe the self belief spiel when I actually see some results.

Greystache
28-04-2011, 03:22 PM
So when he's asked by a journo whether the Dog's still have belief, he shouldn't answer it?

"of course" would do.

Maddog37
28-04-2011, 03:25 PM
It would be a real shame if Higgins were to miss.

He finally steps up and shows a glimpse of crunchtime form on the back of a couple of solid weeks and he is in doubt with general soreness?!?

Will he ever become a hardened AFL footballer?

Ghost Dog
28-04-2011, 04:15 PM

What do you expect him to say then??
Honestly

if you keep believing, eventually it comes true.

bornadog
28-04-2011, 04:47 PM

I've gotten that way as well. I've always been pretty optimistic or at least I try to be over the years. I'll believe the self belief spiel when I actually see some results.

If we didn't have the belief and our confidence was shot then we are in big trouble.

bornadog
28-04-2011, 04:48 PM
It would be a real shame if Higgins were to miss.

He finally steps up and shows a glimpse of crunchtime form on the back of a couple of solid weeks and he is in doubt with general soreness?!?

Will he ever become a hardened AFL footballer?

What does general soreness mean? I just don't get it. Surely they can be more specific than that.

1eyedog
28-04-2011, 05:27 PM
What does general soreness mean? I just don't get it. Surely they can be more specific than that.

Bruising? I guess it means joint pain or a description of pain when there is no bone, muscle, tendon or ligament damage :confused:

G-Mo77
28-04-2011, 05:28 PM
If we didn't have the belief and our confidence was shot then we are in big trouble.

I don't think our confidence is that great anyway. Our record against top opposition speaks volumes.

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 05:28 PM
“When all is said and done, more is said than done.”

Cyberdoggie
28-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Honestly

......How about, actions speak louder than words ;)

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 06:09 PM
“Confidence is contagious. So is lack of confidence.”

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Honestly

Some people have been believing for fifty years :)

Ghost Dog
28-04-2011, 06:47 PM
......How about, actions speak louder than words ;)

Wasn't that the saints strap line for a while? :D Their actions got them pretty far....with 16 year olds.

Torocani
28-04-2011, 07:53 PM
!!RANT WARNING!!

I'm really starting to get sick of Rocket to be honest. I can't see how you can come out of last week's game being all positive and saying 'we showed great effort' BS! we have a team full of pansys who don't want to put in the hard yards. no one shepherds properly, few want to put their head over it and no one gets any repercussions for playing badly. Their name and previous form gets them through every week. 'Talent' and 'Potential' are not enough.

I really can't understand why you'd put so much Pressure on Mitch Wallis. His first game of AFL and you put him in the centre square at the start of the last quarter when we're one point down. I don't care how good the kid is, you can't put that much pressure on him and expect him to come out on top. RESULT: 3 quick goals to Freo, the first going to his direct opponent in Mundy.

We need a change. Wouldn't mind seeing Malthouse back at the club cracking the whip because Rocket clearly can't motivate the players anymore.

END RANT

FrediKanoute
28-04-2011, 08:54 PM
!!RANT WARNING!!

I'm really starting to get sick of Rocket to be honest. I can't see how you can come out of last week's game being all positive and saying 'we showed great effort' BS! we have a team full of pansys who don't want to put in the hard yards. no one shepherds properly, few want to put their head over it and no one gets any repercussions for playing badly. Their name and previous form gets them through every week. 'Talent' and 'Potential' are not enough.

I really can't understand why you'd put so much Pressure on Mitch Wallis. His first game of AFL and you put him in the centre square at the start of the last quarter when we're one point down. I don't care how good the kid is, you can't put that much pressure on him and expect him to come out on top. RESULT: 3 quick goals to Freo, the first going to his direct opponent in Mundy.

We need a change. Wouldn't mind seeing Malthouse back at the club cracking the whip because Rocket clearly can't motivate the players anymore.

END RANT

!!!RANT WARNING!!!!

I'm really starting to get sick of rookie posters discovering the Woof forum and bringing to it the juevenile, ignorant and negative attitude that pervades that other unmentional football forum. I can't understand why you would bother to watch an AFL game or suport a club like the Western Bulldogs and then proceed to refer to players as "pansy's" who rely on potential and talent to get them through every week. Calling yourself a supporter and then failing to support during the bad times. Pulling out the old chestnut that Malthouse would be welcome back at the club and then failing to acknoweldge that Malthouse has shaped a Collingwood side on a budget 3 or 4 times the size of Rocket's and then again making a statement that Rocket can't motivate players, when that is clearly not true.

Here's a reality check......games of football go for around 100 minutes and during those hundres minutes there are about 800 different actions in a game of football. Identifying 1 action and saying this is what lost us the game is oversimplifying what happened. What about looking at Williams being off the ground for the last quarter. Could this possibly have influenced the result? What about Murphy's OOBOTF? Did Rocket influence that one? Maybe Freo actually aren't a bad team and given how close the game was a few ball's bouncing their way tipped the result in their favour.

A football season isn't won in April. Heck its not even won in August. If dumping Rocket was going to miraculously make us a better team the yeah lets do it......it wont. So, thanks for your opinion, however negative, ill informed and purile it is. Now please either make post number 7 somewhat more constructive or go back to that other forum where the statements you have made are much more appropriate.

RANT OVER!!

AndrewP6
28-04-2011, 10:13 PM
!!RANT WARNING!!

END RANT

At least we got a warning....an opportunity to skip this nonsense.

AndrewP6
28-04-2011, 10:14 PM
!!!RANT WARNING!!!!

I'm really starting to get sick of rookie posters discovering the Woof forum and bringing to it the juevenile, ignorant and negative attitude that pervades that other unmentional football forum. I can't understand why you would bother to watch an AFL game or suport a club like the Western Bulldogs and then proceed to refer to players as "pansy's" who rely on potential and talent to get them through every week. Calling yourself a supporter and then failing to support during the bad times. Pulling out the old chestnut that Malthouse would be welcome back at the club and then failing to acknoweldge that Malthouse has shaped a Collingwood side on a budget 3 or 4 times the size of Rocket's and then again making a statement that Rocket can't motivate players, when that is clearly not true.

Here's a reality check......games of football go for around 100 minutes and during those hundres minutes there are about 800 different actions in a game of football. Identifying 1 action and saying this is what lost us the game is oversimplifying what happened. What about looking at Williams being off the ground for the last quarter. Could this possibly have influenced the result? What about Murphy's OOBOTF? Did Rocket influence that one? Maybe Freo actually aren't a bad team and given how close the game was a few ball's bouncing their way tipped the result in their favour.

A football season isn't won in April. Heck its not even won in August. If dumping Rocket was going to miraculously make us a better team the yeah lets do it......it wont. So, thanks for your opinion, however negative, ill informed and purile it is. Now please either make post number 7 somewhat more constructive or go back to that other forum where the statements you have made are much more appropriate.

RANT OVER!!

Well said Fredi!

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 10:17 PM
!!!RANT WARNING!!!!

RANT OVER!!

Well said Freddie. I thought I was over at the other site when I first saw his post.

AndrewP6
28-04-2011, 10:18 PM
I won't begin with any famous sports quote about confidence (that seems to be a theme!)... but, like others, point out that he's unlikely to say anything other than "We still have belief". You don't come out and openly admit to mental fragility, or a lack of belief in your own ability. That'd be giving your opponent an edge right from the start.

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Fredi should have added this to his rant :D

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/1022997/garry-lyon-s-warning-o.gif

EasternWest
29-04-2011, 12:14 AM
!!!RANT WARNING!!!!

I'm really starting to get sick of rookie posters discovering the Woof forum.

RANT OVER!!

I don't disagree with your post, but I think this is a bit out of line. Except for those that set this site up, we were all rookie posters who came across WOOF at some stage. I don't think being new to a site is relevant.

Here's a rant for you: why would my iPhone autocorrect the word "don't" to "dong"? Madness.

KT31
29-04-2011, 01:38 AM
!!RANT WARNING!!

END RANT

Try another site, like Big Footy, they crave posters like yourself!

FrediKanoute
29-04-2011, 02:41 AM
I don't disagree with your post, but I think this is a bit out of line. Except for those that set this site up, we were all rookie posters who came across WOOF at some stage. I don't think being new to a site is relevant.

Here's a rant for you: why would my iPhone autocorrect the word "don't" to "dong"? Madness.

Granted, but most of us as rookie posters wouldn't have posted that load of cr*p on this site......the relevance of being a newbie is that you perhaps rather than letting your keyboard run riot you read a few threads and get hte gist of what discussion goes on here. The emphasis has always been constructive and informed debate rather than empassioned, ill thought out garbage.

Chicago1
29-04-2011, 03:50 AM
Wise words, as usual, from Fred. I spoke to some Doggie fans earlier this month about how "spoiled" the younger supporters are, especially after the reasonable success the Bulldogs have had the past 14 years or so. Being a supporter of a team during the good times is easy; supporting your team in tough times is what it's all about. Attending matches in the earlier 80s taught me a lot about the character of true Bulldogs supporters.

Using terms like "we have a team full of pansys(sic)" is unacceptable. Certainly some of our players need to step up, but to label them as 'pansys'(sic) is far off the mark. I enjoy reading the far majority of the posts in this forum which are mostly reasonable and balanced. I have tended not to post here very much since I bow to the knowledge and information of posters who have tonnes more footy expertise than me. Expressing one's opinion and/or passion in respectful terms draws me to is site every day. I expect more from WOOF posters.

Remi Moses
29-04-2011, 03:59 AM
He lost me at "pansy's " . Physical contact at high speed is no "pansy's" game!
Personally I would have started Mitch from the get go.
I Reckon Rocket's done a pretty good job(without winning it I concede)
I'll re-evaluate at seasons end , not in April!

Hotdog60
29-04-2011, 08:00 AM
Wise words, as usual, from Fred. I spoke to some Doggie fans earlier this month about how "spoiled" the younger supporters are, especially after the reasonable success the Bulldogs have had the past 14 years or so. Being a supporter of a team during the good times is easy; supporting your team in tough times is what it's all about. Attending matches in the earlier 80s taught me a lot about the character of true Bulldogs supporters.

Using terms like "we have a team full of pansys(sic)" is unacceptable. Certainly some of our players need to step up, but to label them as 'pansys'(sic) is far off the mark. I enjoy reading the far majority of the posts in this forum which are mostly reasonable and balanced. I have tended not to post here very much since I bow to the knowledge and information of posters who have tonnes more footy expertise than me. Expressing one's opinion and/or passion in respectful terms draws me to is site every day. I expect more from WOOF posters.

The good days, freezing your bum off at the Western Oval for 3 games of football in the one day and be lucky if you got one win from it and 2 wins from the season. Then turn up and do it all again the next season, but not once did I ever sit there and think we would lose. Call me naive but I believe in this club and will do till I die. I may have my days when I need to curse and swear at the result or the performance of some players but that doesn't mean I don't respect them any less. It take guts to strap on a boot and cross the line and to get to AFL level and pansy's they are not.

chef
29-04-2011, 08:35 AM
!!RANT WARNING!!

END RANT

This might go down better on BF;)

ReLoad
29-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Crikey!

I've heard some drivel but to suggest our team is made up of pansies is the most utterly ridiculous thing i've ever heard.

Last year I had the pleasure of watching Dale Morris and Brian Lake run out to represent the red white and blue with more busted parts of their body than an '81 Holden Camira.

These guys personify guts, strength, will power over pain and adversity, to call them a bunch of pansies is utter nonsense and you deserve time in the sin bin for propagating this.

Yes our team has issues, yes our team can do things better, no questions about it, but one thing I could never ever question is their intestinal fortitude.

There was a thread earlier this year just before the season started that talked about the gutsy moments when players put it on the line and achieved greatness, go and read that, in fact, go and watch one of our games every week and you'll see the same selfless acts over and over.

I love this club, everyone here loves this club, and to suggest that when those boys run out each week that they are soft and not going to do everything in their power to win is a disservice.

The Free Peoples Republic of West Footscray will one day have its day, and when that day comes, 57 years of anticipation are going to make for one hell of a celebration.

LostDoggy
29-04-2011, 09:50 AM

Good to see you made it home safe and sound Chicago1! Your post reflects perhaps some of the discussion we had at the WO during your visit - like another poster, we "oldies" remember the cold, wet days at WO - always believing you were going to win but sometimes not! We all want the same thing surely - success, a flag, a big shiny cup? I have just got to keep believing, venting my frustration at times, but never, never labelling my team as "pansies".

bornadog
29-04-2011, 10:09 AM

One of the best seasons I enjoyed was 1985 and I still have fond memories of the team and what we achieved and could have achieved after losing the prelim by 10 points. Having stood in the same spot for years with my mates (between the umpires race and the Doggies race) , in rain, wind, sun year after year with no success. The early 1980's were terrible years but lots of supporters stuck with the boys and then came along 1985. Every win was savored and enjoyed immensely. The past 20 years we have been close and we have played finals in at least half those years including 6 prelims, compared to pre 1985 where we had been in finals twice since 1961. I dread to think if we didn't play finals in the next few years what our current batch of supporters would be like.

Toracani - Here on WOOF we don't mind criticizing the club and the players, but we try and keep it civil and use reason and logic when doing so. Words like pansy, soft as butter are childish and immature and do not back up anyones argument. If you want to criticize Rocket or players, tell us the reasons why, eg, so and so doesn't work hard enough chasing, tackling etc etc.

If you want to contribute on this forum, do so but hey we will not tolerate anything similar to your rant.

Ozza
29-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Crikey!

I've heard some drivel but to suggest our team is made up of pansies is the most utterly ridiculous thing i've ever heard.

If anything we have too many hard nuts/head over the footy type blokes - and not enough 'pansy's' - that get the ball outside and can use pace and skill!!!!

Toughness is the least of our problems!!!

Sockeye Salmon
29-04-2011, 10:55 AM
The good days, freezing your bum off at the Western Oval for 3 games of football in the one day and be lucky if you got one win from it and 2 wins from the season. Then turn up and do it all again the next season, but not once did I ever sit there and think we would lose. Call me naive but I believe in this club and will do till I die. I may have my days when I need to curse and swear at the result or the performance of some players but that doesn't mean I don't respect them any less. It take guts to strap on a boot and cross the line and to get to AFL level and pansy's they are not.

Bloody hell. I turned up every week knowing full well we were going to get smashed. I only turned up to see KT kick a bag or be amazed by the Hawk.

The Coon Dog
29-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Bloody hell. I turned up every week knowing full well we were going to get smashed. I only turned up to see KT kick a bag or be amazed by the Hawk.

But you went anyway because just maybe...

ratsmac
29-04-2011, 11:04 AM
One of the best seasons I enjoyed was 1985 and I still have fond memories of the team and what we achieved and could have achieved after losing the prelim by 10 points. Having stood in the same spot for years with my mates (between the umpires race and the Doggies race) , in rain, wind, sun year after year with no success. The early 1980's were terrible years but lots of supporters stuck with the boys and then came along 1985. Every win was savored and enjoyed immensely. The past 20 years we have been close and we have played finals in at least half those years including 6 prelims, compared to pre 1985 where we had been in finals twice since 1961. I dread to think if we didn't play finals in the next few years what our current batch of supporters would be like.

Toracani - Here on WOOF we don't mind criticizing the club and the players, but we try and keep it civil and use reason and logic when doing so. Words like pansy, soft as butter are childish and immature and do not back up anyones argument. If you want to criticize Rocket or players, tell us the reasons why, eg, so and so doesn't work hard enough chasing, tackling etc etc.

If you want to contribute on this forum, do so but hey we will not tolerate anything similar to your rant.

Well said. We don't really have to go back that far to remember how hard it was in the eighties. Mum used to drag us along rain hail or shine. Victories were rare but well savoured when they came. 1985 was a great year and it was a great feeling to be in the finals for a change. It was not long after that that Ross Oakley tried his best to make it hard for us to stay in the VFL. That's when this great club of ours showed the football world that we are a true club united as one. I still remember the day that they announced that we raised enough money to stay afloat. For me that is the fondest memory of the bulldogs winning in adversary because I could contribute. I was fourteen at the time. Call Bulldogs pansies at your own peril, but the blood runs deep and we bulldogs stick fat no matter what side of the fence we stand. Woof.

Murphy'sLore
29-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Enjoying the spirited defence of the club, its players and the true grit of the supporters, but can we please just drop the whole 'pansies' thing? Unnecessary and offensive, do we really need to keep repeating it?

Hotdog60
29-04-2011, 11:18 AM

What can I say Sockeye, I'm the eternal optimist must be why I never win a tipping comp.;)

Chicago1
29-04-2011, 11:27 AM
1985 is a year I'll never forget. I remember standing and cheering like mad when the Doggies ran out onto the MCG for the Qualifying Final. It was the first Final I had seen my team in and after the low points of 80-82 when we won a TOTAL of 10 matches in three years, it was almost like a fairytale. Of course, a few hours later I was brought back to reality after our 93 point drubbing by the Hawks, but we lived another day and the next week when we beat North it was sheer heaven. Then the next week in the PF that bastard Leigh Matthews came on in the last quarter and ruined it all. However, I had had my first taste of Finals and it felt pretty darn good.

I guess after being away from Melbourne now for the 12th season, those memories mean so much more to me and the few matches I've had the pleasure of seeing in my six return visits are what keep me going. I had tears in my eyes just three weeks ago as the boys left the ground after beating the Gold Coast, not knowing when I'd see them again. But just like I did in the 80s, I still live in hope that another victory is right around the corner.

And... hey Magic Griffen, it was great talking to you at Whitten. My trip home was horrific. I made my connecting flight at LAX by a minute. I'm getting too old to run through airports trying to make flights! :p

always right
29-04-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm not sure I want us to win a our second premiership. There's something masochistly gratifying about supporting the bulldogs for 50 years. I think the way I feel about the bulldogs might suddenly change if we had success. Sometimes it's about the journey...not the destination. Mind you it's been a bloody long journey.

On second thoughts.....maybe it would be better to test my hypothesis to see if I'm right. It would be interesting to see if I remain just as passionate after we taste the ultimate success.

Now where is that sarcasm emoticon?

ratsmac
29-04-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm not sure I want us to win a our second premiership. There's something masochistly gratifying about supporting the bulldogs for 50 years. I think the way I feel about the bulldogs might suddenly change if we had success. Sometimes it's about the journey...not the destination. Mind you it's been a bloody long journey.

On second thoughts.....maybe it would be better to test my hypothesis to see if I'm right. It would be interesting to see if I remain just as passionate after we taste the ultimate success.

Yeah I say lets give your hypothesis a burl!

LostDoggy
29-04-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm not gonna feed the troll…

I do want to say to the later posts though, I explained to my girlfriend — a new Dogs supporter and recently paid-up Social Club member (with some encouragement from her fella) — it's the fact we haven't played a Grand Final in 50 years or won one since '54, yet still stick by our team through thick and thin that makes being a Bulldog supporter great. Essendon fans would never last so long.

I too have fond memories of being 7 years old and watching us all stand up and save our team. But those memories are fonder in watching where we've come since. My kids won't be rattling tins.

LostDoggy
29-04-2011, 01:51 PM

Interesting comment, I myself have also wondered about this very issue.

Will it be a case of "mission accomplished" if we win a flag, and then the passion reducing after experiencing the ultimate?
Is it that we identify with the battler sterotype that the Dog have had throughout our VFL/AFL history, and wouldnt know how to act at being regarded as the best in the competition?

As born a scragger said, I dont think many of the supporters of the "big" clubs would still be as passionate about their clubs if they had such a long drought, I assume that they would be like a lot of people and support teams because they are successful or popular only. :rolleyes:

Murphy'sLore
29-04-2011, 01:55 PM
This might be blasphemy but I have wondered whether the sweetness of the victory can ever really compensate for the bitterness of all those years and years of pain and disappointment. I mean, how good can it be, really?

(Having said that of course I would give my eye teeth to find out)

LostDoggy
29-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Was a pretty gutting loss the other night but it reminded me heaps of a similar game in Adelaide late last year that just happened to fall our way in the end.
Both against quality opposition away from home in slippery conditions.
The Adelaide game could have easily gone the other way, as could the Freo one.

Our attack on the football on Monday night (boyd, ward, picken, griff etc ) was impressive from the very first bounce, and while there are other players that need to lift (or come back into the team) it has left me believing we still might have some very good football to come from the dogs this year.

LostDoggy
29-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Our next flag will just be a step in the right direction or bring us back to where we should be. The 2nd or third after that there may be some room for complacency. On and off the field, greater expectations and belief.

LostDoggy
29-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Was a pretty gutting loss the other night but it reminded me heaps of a similar game in Adelaide late last year that just happened to fall our way in the end.
Both against quality opposition away from home in slippery conditions.
The Adelaide game could have easily gone the other way, as could the Freo one.

Our attack on the football on Monday night (boyd, ward, picken, griff etc ) was impressive from the very first bounce, and while there are other players that need to lift (or come back into the team) it has left me believing we still might have some very good football to come from the dogs this year.

The freo game was a swinging pendulum that just swung in freo's favour, although it doesnt seem like it, we do fall on the right side sometimes.

BulldogBelle
29-04-2011, 05:02 PM
I'm not gonna feed the troll…

I do want to say to the later posts though, I explained to my girlfriend — a new Dogs supporter and recently paid-up Social Club member (with some encouragement from her fella) — it's the fact we haven't played a Grand Final in 50 years or won one since '54, yet still stick by our team through thick and thin that makes being a Bulldog supporter great. Essendon fans would never last so long.

I too have fond memories of being 7 years old and watching us all stand up and save our team. But those memories are fonder in watching where we've come since. My kids won't be rattling tins.

Its very interesting that even though our lack of premiership success, our membership numbers are within roughly 40% of the largest clubs....say compare our 30k member base to 50+ membership base

Supporter numbers would follow a similar trend (would also need to take into account the socio-demographic split of our base and geographic diversity

Better a 40% difference than a 100-200% difference

A premiership would definately bring dormant supporters/members out of the woodwork and be a well needed financial shot in the arm...............

Ghost Dog
29-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Not that I usually have much time for him, but Kennett had a point the other day, coming out to highlight the cyclic process of bigger clubs getting bigger and richer - more key games, better revenue from TV earnings, more members, more spending on footy departments, around and around. It's really hard to see clubs like North and Port ever becoming a force again without AFL assistance.

Financially a bit of a step behind, like the swans, just have to keep believing.

Hotdog60
29-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Not that I usually have much time for him, but Kennett had a point the other day, coming out to highlight the cyclic process of bigger clubs getting bigger and richer - more key games, better revenue from TV earnings, more members, more spending on footy departments, around and around. It's really hard to see clubs like North and Port ever becoming a force again without AFL assistance.

Financially a bit of a step behind, like the swans, just have to keep believing.

Maybe some of the money from the TV rights goes to the footy department of each club, the more money a club spends on it's footy dept. the less they get from the AFL. This may even things up in that area.

1eyedog
30-04-2011, 12:22 AM

Yep. What the else else was there to do on a Saturday afternoon?