28-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Western Bulldogs

B: Lukas Markovic, Brian Lake, Lindsay Gilbee
HB: Dale Morris, Tom L. Williams, Robert Murphy
C: Daniel Cross, Matthew Boyd, Liam Picken
HF: Callan Ward, Jarrad Grant, Dylan Addison
F: Josh Hill, Liam Jones, Justin Sherman
Foll: William Minson, Ryan Griffen, Adam Cooney

I/C: Brennan Stack, Jordan Roughead, Brodie Moles, Nathan Djerrkura, Mitchell Wallis, Thomas Liberatore, Jayden Schofield

In: Dylan Addison, William Minson, Liam Jones, Brodie Moles, Nathan Djerrkura, Jayden Schofield
Out: Shaun Higgins (Soreness), Ben Hudson (Soreness), Barry Hall (Ankle)

New: Jayden Schofield (East Fremantle)

Collingwood

B: Chris Tarrant, Nick Maxwell, Heritier O'Brien
HB: Ben Johnson, Ben Reid, Heath Shaw
C: Dale Thomas, Dane Swan, Luke Ball
HF: Alan Didak, Travis Cloke, Leigh Brown
F: Leon Davis, Chris Dawes, Steele Sidebottom
Foll: Cameron Wood, Scott Pendlebury, Jarryd Blair

I/C: Alan Toovey, Brad Dick, Sharrod Wellingham, John McCarthy, Dayne Beams, Simon Buckley, Andrew Krakouer

In: Cameron Wood, John McCarthy, Simon Buckley, Andrew Krakouer

Out: Darren Jolly (Knee)

divvydan
28-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Given those in the 18,

In: Minson, Jones, Addison

Out: Higgins, Hudson, Hall

seems the most likely final changes.

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Some interesting names in the mix there. Can't wait to see the final teams.

bornadog
28-04-2011, 06:13 PM
If Williams is out I guess Morris will have to play tall. Schofield and Addison to take on the Collingwood smalls

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 06:17 PM
If Williams is out I guess Morris will have to play tall. Schofield and Addison to take on the Collingwood smalls

Would be nice to have a look at Schofield.

G-Mo77
28-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Some interesting names on that IC bench.

Cyberdoggie
28-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Given those in the 18,

In: Minson, Jones, Addison

Out: Higgins, Hudson, Hall

seems the most likely final changes.

Jones and Addison in?

I think i'll be picking Collingwood in my tips

Jones would be lucky to take a mark against the pies defence i think.
I would prefer Roughead, at least he's proven he can take a grab above his head.

ReLoad
28-04-2011, 06:33 PM
I actually think this is a great opportunity for jones to play one out in the square and use his burst of pace.

Given this is Halls last year, this is a real positive.

I would also like to see Schofield in as well.

Minson the logical choice for hudson, and Minson will run his ass off and give 100%.

Looking forward to this game where being a huge underdog with the outs takes me back to dogs of old with little or no expectation upon us.

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Can't believe Stack couldn't make the 18, thought he was playing well.

Hotdog60
28-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Does Roughead stay or is out? Markovic maybe used as the 2nd ruck or maybe Williams.

Lucas has rucked for Williamstown.

G-Mo77
28-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Does Roughead stay or is out? Markovic maybe used as the 2nd ruck or maybe Williams.

Lucas has rucked for Williamstown.

I'm guessing Williams will miss so Roughead stays. I think he does regardless.

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 06:46 PM

Yep, Roughead is here stay.

Monty said so himself on radio, he won't be getting dropped from the seniors.

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Can't believe Stack couldn't make the 18, thought he was playing well.

Isn't a huge difference, Stack will play and most likely, will start on the field regardless of the list

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 06:52 PM

I hope Williams doesn't miss, cos Morris will then cover for him not Roughead. Morris on a small forward is a luxury.

azabob
28-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Jones and Addison in?

I think i'll be picking Collingwood in my tips

Jones would be lucky to take a mark against the pies defence i think.
I would prefer Roughead, at least he's proven he can take a grab above his head.

You are suggesting Roughead will be dropped? What makes you think that.

mjp
28-04-2011, 06:59 PM

Does this mean Schofield is ahead of Howard and Tutt???

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 07:04 PM
I think it might be more along the lines of having a role for Schofield. Not sure who he might match up on? Maybe some others can help out there.

azabob
28-04-2011, 07:13 PM

I always love hearing your views on young Schofield.

From what I have heard about him his would be a coaches dream and an opposition coaches nightmare.
Is it safe to say that the only things the same about the 3 players is they all were drafted as defenders with a bit of run?

Im no expert but from my understanding Schofield doesn't take a backwards step in coming forwards similar to perhaps an Addison or Stephen Powell.

Where as I see Howard and Tutt more like a temperament of Gilbee and Stack.

At this stage I think we need a bit of mongrel in our team with some pace and to me Schofiled fits that bill better than Howard or Tutt.

So yes it appears that he may be ahead of them but by next year he may not be.

DOG GOD
28-04-2011, 07:14 PM
I think we need the aggression of Addison against the Pies. I would play him and Ward as "taggers" on Shaw and Obrien for starters. Jones could be played at FF aginst Reid and I would almost push Murphy fwd to take maxwell away from the true CHF position.

If Schofield gets picked, would he be sticking up his hand to take Didak ? :)

LostDoggy
28-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Is Addison quick enough to go with Shaw or Obrien?

Ghost Dog
28-04-2011, 07:19 PM
I think we need the aggression of Addison against the Pies. I would play him and Ward as "taggers" on Shaw and Obrien for starters. Jones could be played at FF aginst Reid and I would almost push Murphy fwd to take maxwell away from the true CHF position.

If Schofield gets picked, would he be sticking up his hand to take Didak ? :)

Those match ups sound good. Confident Addison would nullify O'brien.
I hope they keep Davis in the foward line. I think we can exploit his lack of height and pace.

Before I Die
28-04-2011, 07:34 PM

On Bulddogs TV when Eade discusses the team selections he doesn't mention Schofield and Schofield's name does not appear amongst the extended list of interchange players shown on the interactive whiteboard.

Schofield's name is included in the extended bench listed elsewhere on the Bulldogs website and he is also mentioned in the article about team selection for this week. However, if he was really in the mix, you would imagine that Eade would include him in the video presentation. :confused:

Nonetheless, I guess the answer to MJPs question is, Yes.

G-Mo77
28-04-2011, 07:40 PM
On Bulddogs TV when Eade discusses the team selections he doesn't mention Schofield and Schofield's name does not appear amongst the extended list of interchange players shown on the interactive whiteboard.

There was something similar with DJ and Jones last week.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9126

Edit: Just watched it and it's completely different. Hudson still in the team with Stack still in the 18.

Pickenitup
28-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Like the ins i reckon we are up against though but Jolly is a huge out for them.
Cameron Wood is one of the biggest duds in footy so we should expect to dominate the Rucks.
Think this is a great chance for LJ could be just what he needs and the team as well.

The Adelaide Connection
28-04-2011, 07:46 PM

Schofield's name is included in the extended bench listed elsewhere on the Bulldogs website and he is also mentioned in the article about team selection for this week. However, if he was really in the mix, you would imagine that Eade would include him in the video presentation. :confused:

Nonetheless, I guess the answer to MJPs question is, Yes.

It's interesting that Rocket similarly doesn't mention anything about Hudson being an out and he still appears on the interactive whiteboard field. Maybe it's a case of filming this before the final teams go in?

G-Mo77
28-04-2011, 07:52 PM
It's interesting that Rocket similarly doesn't mention anything about Hudson being an out and he still appears on the interactive whiteboard field. Maybe it's a case of filming this before the final teams go in?

Which is disappointing. You would like an Official Site to be a lot more accurate.

Before I Die
28-04-2011, 07:58 PM

I hadn't spotted that. Perhaps Hudson was a last minute out and Schofield was brought in to make up the regulation 7 person extended bench.

Maddog37
28-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Schofield may not play you would think. Either way it is great to see another kid in the mix. I could see him chasing Thomas around. Pie in the sky stuff admittedly.

Hall was a liability last week so Jones should at least be a bit better defensively. Minno has been flying so we may not lose much with Huddo out. The big loss is Higgins as he has been good lately.

I just hope Tommy plays as he is becoming a very solid player and goes ok against Cloke from memory.

The Adelaide Connection
28-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Schofield may not play you would think. Either way it is great to see another kid in the mix. I could see him chasing Thomas around. Pie in the sky stuff admittedly.

Hall was a liability last week so Jones should at least be a bit better defensively. Minno has been flying so we may not lose much with Huddo out. The big loss is Higgins as he has been good lately.

I just hope Tommy plays as he is becoming a very solid player and goes ok against Cloke from memory.

With Jolly out the stage is set for Minson to come in and continue the form he has had at Williamstown. He should have the belief and confidence that he is the #1 ruckman on the ground and play really positive "I am going to beat your arse" footy (which it seems he does in the VFL), not negative and frustrated which has often been his downfall.

Ghost Dog
28-04-2011, 08:41 PM
with jolly out the stage is set for minson to come in and continue the form he has had at williamstown. He should have the belief and confidence that he is the #1 ruckman on the ground and play really positive "i am going to beat your arse" footy (which it seems he does in the vfl), not negative and frustrated which has often been his downfall.

Rocco Jones
28-04-2011, 10:55 PM
If Williams is OK to play, you would think...
OUT: Higgins, Hall, Hudson
IN: Addison, Jones, Minson

Not sure who would come in for Williams? I would go for DJ in a sub role.

Twodogs
28-04-2011, 11:50 PM
I've been wondering for a while how Collingwood would go if Jolly had to miss a game. I'm glad it's going to be against us.

EasternWest
28-04-2011, 11:57 PM

I'm excited to see him in the mix. My gut tells me he won't make the 22, but it's nice to see that he really appears to be coming along.

Can't believe Stack couldn't make the 18, thought he was playing well.From what I've seen this year, Stack has given the MC no reason to drop him. Just can't fit the entire side on the field.

If that's the case, do you think it's the mongrel in him that the coaches prefer?

Rocco Jones
29-04-2011, 12:00 AM
I've been wondering for a while how Collingwood would go if Jolly had to miss a game. I'm glad it's going to be against us.

You couldn't have been waiting long, he missed game before last! :)

Twodogs
29-04-2011, 12:01 AM
You couldn't have been waiting long, he missed game before last! :)

Really? Shows how much attention I've been paying!

Rocco Jones
29-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Really? Shows how much attention I've been paying!

It was against Richmond after all!

Twodogs
29-04-2011, 12:14 AM

Ah, that explains it.

KT31
29-04-2011, 01:31 AM
I am at amiss, if Lake was unable to play the last 10 minutes last week and Williams miss the last quarter,why are we risking them both this week ?

Remi Moses
29-04-2011, 01:53 AM
Time for Minson to step up! No Jolly big chance for Will.

The Adelaide Connection
29-04-2011, 04:35 AM
As good as Blair has been I think the matchup vs Cooney is one to exploit. The only concern is if Cooney gets lazy and lets him slip away on the rebound, when he has time he looks really dangerous and can kick a few. But Cooney should be way too big and strong for him in a marking contest and should be able to break his tackles. We should be looking to get the ball in his hands and play through him.

Positive thinking has me seeing Minson tapping to Cooneys advantage who then bursts through the middle with Blair flying off the back of him.

The Adelaide Connection
29-04-2011, 04:44 AM

..and Richmond smashed Collingwood in the hitouts that night something like 46 to 22. When they made it count they looked pretty good.
Last week Jolly had 36 hitouts alone. He is a massive out. Will has to dominate Wood and give us first use of the ball if we are going to be a chance to win this game.

LostDoggy
29-04-2011, 08:30 AM
As good as Blair has been I think the matchup vs Cooney is one to exploit. The only concern is if Cooney gets lazy and lets him slip away on the rebound, when he has time he looks really dangerous and can kick a few. But Cooney should be way too big and strong for him in a marking contest and should be able to break his tackles. We should be looking to get the ball in his hands and play through him.

Positive thinking has me seeing Minson tapping to Cooneys advantage who then bursts through the middle with Blair flying off the back of him.

Not sure that could happen . I don't know Collingwood's structure 100% but I thought Blair as a soley a small forward or spends most his time up forward.
Why wouldn't we want one of our best ball winners near the ball not just in our defence?

Desipura
29-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Those match ups sound good. Confident Addison would nullify O'brien.
I hope they keep Davis in the foward line. I think we can exploit his lack of height and pace.
I dont, he always kicks goals against us. If Morris plays tall, I expect Davis to kick goals again

Ghost Dog
29-04-2011, 11:35 AM
I dont, he always kicks goals against us. If Morris plays tall, I expect Davis to kick goals again

I'm a goose. I actually meant backline... :rolleyes: I shouldn't watch TV and type.

The Adelaide Connection
29-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Not sure that could happen . I don't know Collingwood's structure 100% but I thought Blair as a soley a small forward or spends most his time up forward.
Why wouldn't we want one of our best ball winners near the ball not just in our defence?

I know it often doesn't count for much but on paper they have him going head to head with Cooney, both playing as followers.

mjp
29-04-2011, 11:52 AM

Blair plays as part of the outside mids rotation - high hf / wing - with a very occasional stint inside. Didak and Thomas in the same outside mids group.

Ghost Dog
29-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Jolly out, a few niggling injuries ( Harry O ) , Johnson not doing so well, Sidebottom not really firing... this might be closer than than many predict.
Really like the addition of Addison and Schofield. We need finals level intensity. That's been our biggest weakness, ability to grind it out. Good signs last week. Swan is a worry. Best match up for him?

Ozza
29-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Jolly out, a few niggling injuries ( Harry O ) , Johnson not doing so well, Sidebottom not really firing... this might be closer than than many predict.
Really like the addition of Addison and Schofield. We need finals level intensity. That's been our biggest weakness, ability to grind it out. Good signs last week. Swan is a worry. Best match up for him?

Personally I don't agree with this. I think our biggest weakness has been our ball movement - whether it be poor skills & decision making - or our ability to spread from the contest. I think we've played a fair bit of dumb footy - with a good level of intensity to get the ball - but turning it over once we have it.

Ghost Dog
29-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Personally I don't agree with this. I think our biggest weakness has been our ball movement - whether it be poor skills & decision making - or our ability to spread from the contest. I think we've played a fair bit of dumb footy - with a good level of intensity to get the ball - but turning it over once we have it.

Sorry. What I meant was our ability to handle opposition pressure. We've been pretty good in turning it over and allowing inside 50s. Other teams used to know they could just pressure us out of the game.

Your points about ball movement...right. We've gone from being 'slick' to 'hack'. Basic stuff, kicking to a target. Frustrating

Ghost Dog
29-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Tag swan or not? What's the best match up? Like to see Picken run with him. What did we do last time?

divvydan
29-04-2011, 01:31 PM
We haven't been able to stop Swan at all in recent matches. He's probably too inside for Picken and I think Picken would be more effective on Thomas or Didak. I don't really think we have anyone in our side who can effectively tag Swan so the next best option would be to run 2-3 players through him and have a very good plan for when he pushes forward.

Sedat
29-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Whilst the Pies smashed them, Camerom Wood made Angus Graham look like Polly Farmer

Maddog37
29-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Boyd could tag Swan.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Boyd could tag Swan.

Watch a replay of last year's QF.

Boyd got murdered.

LostDoggy
29-04-2011, 04:45 PM
I'd go Boyd on Swan, Picken to Pendlebury, Cross to Thomas??. My first option would be to have Morris as a midfield tagger following Didak around and back Stack, Gilbee and Murphy to do the job on Beams, Blair, Dick et al. If not, then we may have to shuffle back and have Morris play as a pure defender on their trickiest small forward.

Maddog37
29-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Watch a replay of last year's QF.

Boyd got murdered.

Who didn't besides Griff?:o

The Adelaide Connection
29-04-2011, 05:23 PM

Add Maxwell to the list that have struggled a little, he is definitely not back to his best. If he is to play loose we have to punish him by getting the ball on his opponents hands and when he does get it really target him, his disposal has been average.

I think we have to accept that Swan is going to rack them up no matter who is on him, but I think we can learn from Freo that if everyone downfield is covered and we don't give him a week then his disposals will not be as damaging (ala Boyd). We have to come out and hit the likes of Swan, Pendlebury, Didak, Thomas, Blair etc hard early so they have that feeling when they get it they are about to be nailed. Getting inside their heads is critical, if they feel like they are under the pump they are more likely to rush their disposal. In '09 a very average Collingwood belted the rampant Geelong midseason (was it 90 odd points?) by doing something similar.

DOG GOD
29-04-2011, 05:31 PM
If Boys goes to Swan, expect both players to rack up 30+ possies. Boyd is one of the most unaccountable mids going round. I like the idea of Cross on Pendlebury is he can sacrifice his own game for the sake of the team. Id put Picken on Thomas and Morris on Didak. We cant allow their lesser types of Blair, Sidebottom, Dick etc to kick multiples...we always seem to struggle against their small brigade. Wonder if Davis will play fwd against us if we dont have a matchup for him down back?

Ward to Shaw, Murphy to Maxwell, Jones to Reid and Addison to Obrein are other matchups i would go for.

LostDoggy
29-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Final teams in

Stack DJ and Schofield Emergencies

4 Changes

divvydan
29-04-2011, 05:55 PM
So;

In: Minson, Jones, Addison, Moles
Out:Hudson, Higgins, Hall, Stack

LostDoggy
29-04-2011, 05:58 PM
So;

In: Minson, Jones, Addison, Moles
Out:Hudson, Higgins, Hall, Stack

Yes sorry was too lazy to do that

A few people will be happy to see Stack out wonder who they will Attack this week, With no Gia or Stack Gilbee might be in the gun

Bumper Bulldogs
29-04-2011, 06:43 PM

A few people will be happy to see Stack out wonder who they will Attack this week, With no Gia or Stack Gilbee might be in the gun

Not to sure on this I have a good feeling about the game this week, Apart from last year when they exposed Jonno the first game and we played everybody injured the second we have been all over them. I see no reason we cant beat them this time.

chef
29-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Very disappointed to see Stack missing:(

LostDoggy
29-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Very disappointed to see Stack missing:(

Why?

chef
29-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Why?

I thought he had a reasonable game and was getting better with each match. He was also adding a bit of dash from defence which we need. I guess he could always come back in as a late change.

LostDoggy
29-04-2011, 09:20 PM
I thought he had a reasonable game and was getting better with each match. He was also adding a bit of dash from defence which we need. I guess he could always come back in as a late change.
Williams is a possible out. Not sure how bad his back is?

LostDoggy
29-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Stack out is just random. They stick with the bloke all year despite ordinary football and when he finally plays a decent one, they drop him. What kind of message are they sending?

Desipura
29-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Stack out is just random. They stick with the bloke all year despite ordinary football and when he finally plays a decent one, they drop him. What kind of message are they sending?

We have played 4 games

Rocco Jones
29-04-2011, 10:46 PM
I am not a big fan of Moles but I think with both sides coming off a 6 day break, depth in midfield running numbers will be big. I would definitely have in the 'starting 21' and hope he can take advantage of being surrounded by some tired legs.

ReLoad
29-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Terrible decision if it plays out that way.

Stack was good last week, way to sap and destroy a kid's continuity & confidence.

Wait? Is Stacky in London? that the reason? Its about the only logical reason why he wouldn't be playing?

Shame there isnt much love for him here, the angry mob im assembling will all fit in a Tarrago.

Rocco Jones
29-04-2011, 10:53 PM
Terrible decision if it plays out that way.

Stack was good last week, way to sap and destroy a kid's continuity & confidence.

Wait? Is Stacky in London? that the reason? Its about the only logical reason why he wouldn't be playing?

Shame there isnt much love for him here, the angry mob im assembling will all fit in a Tarrago.

Hey! The 'Brennan Stack A Go-Go' facebook group has 104 members.

LostDoggy
30-04-2011, 12:13 AM
We have played 4 games

I don't get your point. Stack played 3 ordinary games and was kept in the side, he then played a good game and is dropped. I don't see the logic. Unless the MC has the opposit view and thought Stack was good in the first three and poor against Freo.

dogman
30-04-2011, 01:17 AM
Apart from his spoils, what did he do so good?

Desipura
30-04-2011, 08:05 AM
They stick with the bloke all year despite ordinary football and when he finally plays a decent one, they drop him. What kind of message are they sending?[/QUOTE]

This is my point, we have only played 4 games

chef
30-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Apart from his spoils, what did he do so good?

He also adds run to the back line. Some of his spoiling and closing space was very good against Freo.

LostDoggy
30-04-2011, 10:53 AM
I must be one of only a few, who believes Stack has played pretty well all season.

Ghost Dog
30-04-2011, 11:02 AM
You're not alone Glove38

Stack was singled out by the commentators a few times during the game V Freo.
Took his man on a few times,( esp 3rd Q from memory ) just to get a few extra meters of space and succeeded. Looking bolder as time goes on. No superstar but getting a handle on it.

dogman
30-04-2011, 12:37 PM
He also adds run to the back line. Some of his spoiling and closing space was very good against Freo.
Yes he runs out of the backline but his disposal isn't any good. He turns it over more often than not and isn't creative enough in that roll.

Before I Die
30-04-2011, 12:41 PM

I don't know why Stack has been dropped, but I do know that it absolutely was not random. The MC will have a definite reason. Perhaps match-ups, possibly Stack was not adhering to instructions, maybe he has been given a few weaknesses to work on, has he shown a poor attitude at training etc. It doesn't appear to be Moles' form, which hasn't been great, so I suspect that match-ups and/or team balance is the answer.

GVGjr
30-04-2011, 01:11 PM
You're not alone Glove38

Stack was singled out by the commentators a few times during the game V Freo.
Took his man on a few times,( esp 3rd Q from memory ) just to get a few extra meters of space and succeeded. Looking bolder as time goes on. No superstar but getting a handle on it.

I don't think Stack has been dropped purely on form. I think his omission is more around a better balance for the game against the Pies. Moles has more ability to take a turn in the midfield than Stack and with Higgins out I think that was in the match committee's mind.

LostDoggy
30-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Yes he runs out of the backline but his disposal isn't any good. He turns it over more often than not and isn't creative enough in that roll.

His disposal efficiency over the four rounds.

RD1 88%
RD2 74%
RD3 63%
RD5 53%

There has been a gradual drop from the start of the season, although i still think he was playing well, maybe the match committee noticed this as well.

LostDoggy
30-04-2011, 06:08 PM

Some people who don't usually bag players do not think Stack is of AFL quality.

LostDoggy
30-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Some people who don't usually bag players do not think Stack is of AFL quality.

I always felt Stack did not have the desire to play AFL. Just seems a timid type.

Honestly surprised he wasn't delisted last year.

Greystache
30-04-2011, 07:48 PM
I always felt Stack did not have the desire to play AFL. Just seems a timid type.

He might have been, but he had a year left on his contract.

GVGjr
30-04-2011, 07:54 PM

I've talked to him a couple of times and the desire is definitely there. What I think took him longer to adjust to is playing the way his coaches wanted rather than the free flowing way he'd like to play. I don't think the disciplined defensive efforts came that easy to him.
He needs to keep up his efforts to make sure he gets another crack at a contract.

Ghost Dog
30-04-2011, 08:27 PM
I don't think Stack has been dropped purely on form. I think his omission is more around a better balance for the game against the Pies. Moles has more ability to take a turn in the midfield than Stack and with Higgins out I think that was in the match committee's mind.

For sure, agreed. I'm not surprised to see the change, but more disappointed by some calling him soft or performing poorly.

When you look at the team list its a much better balance against the pies with Addison in. Stack, free flowing, speedy, on the big ground in WA was a good choice, but Dylan, able to stand up in tackles and quite at home in the body on body battles is a good choice. As is Moles who, as you say, can overlap into a more in an under role.

Ghost Dog
30-04-2011, 08:32 PM

For sure, agreed. I'm not surprised to see the change, but more disappointed by some calling him soft or performing poorly.

When you look at the team list its a much better balance against the pies with Addison in. Stack, free flowing, speedy, on the big ground in WA was a good choice, but Dylan, able to stand up in tackles and quite at home in the body on body battles is the better choice for this game.

It'll be the first look at Brodie 2011 and wonder if he's worked on a few things since last season. Very intersting game this, even if we lose.
lots of fresh talent on the biggest stage,

Mantis
30-04-2011, 08:32 PM
When you look at the team list its a much better balance against the pies with Addison in. Stack, free flowing, speedy, on the big ground in WA was a good choice, but Dylan, able to stand up in tackles and quite at home in the body on body battles is a good choice. As is Moles who, as you say, can overlap into a more in an under role.

Where would you be playing Dylan?

Ghost Dog
30-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Where would you be playing Dylan?

Tackling is a strong point.
I assume he'll go into the Halfback position but if it were me, I'd have him as our tagger and put Picken ( who's snap for goal / instincts / kicking I'd rate a little higher ) foward for a while. See how that works as something a little different.

I assume you wouldn't have him in. What's your view?

Mantis
30-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Tackling is his strong point.

Yet averages just 2.3 tackles per game across his career... I would hate to see the figure if it was a weakness.

I assume he'll go into the Halfback position but if it were me, I'd have him as our tagger and put Picken ( who's kicking I'd rate a little higher ) foward for a while. See how that works.

I can't see him being suited to any of the Collingwood forwards so I would assume he would play as a defensive forward.

Ghost Dog
30-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Yet averages just 2.3 tackles per game across his career... I would hate to see the figure if it was a weakness.

I can't see him being suited to any of the Collingwood forwards so I would assume he would play as a defensive forward.

Stats often very misleading. Take Boyd for example.
The fact is Dylan has been picked because of his hardness in big games. proven

A) Reports of his tackling drills at training are very good. B) He had an outstanding finals series proven he can stand up on a big stage and will provide a measure of protection for other players to do their job.

Dylan would do well on a number of opponents but Daisy Thomas springs to mind. One player who, given a solid legal shirt front, may not turn out to be as hard as he thinks.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Dylan would do well on a number of opponents but Daisy Thomas springs to mind. One player who, given a solid legal shirt front, may not turn out to be as hard as he thinks.

Addison 'tagged' Thomas in the QF last year and got smashed.

I like Dylan as a player, but the only position he can really play is as a defensive forward.

Mantis
30-04-2011, 09:35 PM

What stats about Boyd (and Dylan) are misleading?

A) Reports of his tackling drills at training are very good. B) He had an outstanding finals series proven he can stand up on a big stage and will provide a measure of protection for other players to do their job.

a. Who cares.... How he performs in games is what matters and the part of his game you describe as a strength isn't shown up in his performances.

b. Outstanding?? You're clearly taking the piss.

I understand you might have been OS thru last years finals series, but this comment is just completely wrong.

Addison tried to rough up a beaten up Thomas (he had rib problems) in the QF, but was badly beaten and had to be moved.

Ghost Dog
30-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Would you say he had a terrible finals series? He and Ward were the only two I saw who seemed to really stand up to the pressure and you would have to assume that's why he's been picked.

He's clearly doing something right to be picked in the best 22.

Re Thomas, you said in another thread your keen to see Grant go with Reid after a disappointing performance last time.
So why doesn't Dylan get another crack at Thomas in a chance to redeem himself?

Let's see what happens.

chef
30-04-2011, 09:52 PM

I wouldn't think that would phase him.

Hotdog60
30-04-2011, 11:04 PM
I wouldn't think that would phase him.

Maybe not, but his a cocky so and so. It would be nice to see him but on his backside a couple of times.:D

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 12:52 AM
How is Sam Reid travelling?

Anyone expect he will get a gig this year? I'm doubtful with Wallis and Libba getting game time. They'd be ahead of him now. Seems we have quite a few inside mids.

chef
01-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Maybe not, but his a cocky so and so. It would be nice to see him but on his backside a couple of times.:D

He's a gun nowadays(his performance has certainly caught up his reputation) and one I would love to have on our team.

Hotdog60
01-05-2011, 08:54 AM
He's a gun nowadays(his performance has certainly caught up his reputation) and one I would love to have on our team.

Hey, if he was on our team he'd be a gentleman footballer that goes about his business with silky skills.:)

Greystache
01-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Stack, Djerrkura, and Schofield all playing for Willi, looks like no late changes.

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 02:09 PM

Ha that reminds me of this video..we need to give him some of this treatment :D http://youtu.be/TBhmJPkT5Fw

Tips on the sub today? Wallis again?