Collingwood Vs Western Bulldogs
MCG, Sunday, May 1, 4.40pm

HEAD TO HEAD: Collingwood 103 wins, Western Bulldogs 42 wins, one draw

Last time we met:
Collingwood 17.22 (124) d Western Bulldogs 8.14 (62), Qualifying Final,
2010 at MCG

The Form Guide:

1st Collingwood 5-5, 177.19%
Five wins on the trot and the juggernaut continues, Essendon pushed them on the ANZAC day at times couldn’t bridge the gap. The Pies are still the team to beat.

10th Western Bulldogs 4-2, 129.59%
The Dogs have had a shaky start to 2011 and with a poor loss to Essendon and expected wins over Brisbane and the Gold coast Suns, we had a bye which may have stifled momentum going over to Perth. A brave effort but poor efficiency hurt in the end and went away with a loss.

The Selection Table

Collingwood
In: Cameron Wood, John McCarthy, Simon Buckley, Andrew Krakouer
Out: Darren Jolly (Knee)

Western Bulldogs
In: Dylan Addison, William Minson, Liam Jones, Brodie Moles, Nathan Djerrkura, Jayden Schofield
Out: Shaun Higgins (Soreness), Ben Hudson (Soreness), Barry Hall (Ankle)
New: Jayden Schofield (East Fremantle)

What the Experts are saying

David King (Fox Sports)
No chance here the Dogs, but I think they've got a bit to learn from this game. With no Barry Hall and maybe no (Daniel) Giansiracusa or (Shaun) Higgins in that forward line, they've got an opportunity to really try something different, for their own benefit. In a game where they're not expected to win, this is a real opportunity for them to either uncover some new talent or a forward line that might be able to put some more pressure on - we're they've been disastrous. It's the willingness to compete when they don't have the football that concerns you about the Dogs. I think there's a lot of room for improvement with the Dogs. They've won games that they should have, but I've got my doubts at this stage as to whether they've improved from last year.

Gregor Mactaggart (Sportal)
Collingwood have beaten the Bulldogs in their past three matches and nothing we've seen so far in season 2011 suggests the trend is going to end here. The unbeaten Magpies are flying along nicely through the opening five rounds and sit top on percentage from Geelong.
In contrast, the Bulldogs have experienced a tough start to the year and actually sit in ninth spot to this stage. Certainly there are question marks on the form of Rodney Eade's men, whose only wins have come over Gold Coast and the Brisbane Lions, who sit in the bottom three on the ladder.
Gut feel tells you that they are not travelling good enough at the moment to beat a Collingwood side who continue to tick over quite nicely. The Dogs will have a crack, but the Pies will find that extra gear and do enough to make it six from six with a comfortable win.

Match ups

Boyd Vs Swan
Matthew needs to bring last weeks game with him on Sunday but with a bit of polish on the disposal, if he can curb Swan it will dry up some of their forward entry.

Picken Vs Thomas
Liam has to watch Thomas closely, I think he can be a very damaging player and gets a lot of it. Thomas is one player I would like to see get a perfectly legal old fashion shirt front early in the game just to slow him down.

Jones Vs Maxwell
I can’t see Maxwell sitting in the goal square as listed, but if Liam can keep on presenting and make Maxwell accountable it will stop the Pies HB drive.

The Summary
The 3 sets of match ups is were I can see us winning if we can keep this mob quite. With Big Will dominating the ruck taps and feeding Cooney and Griffen it should give the run out of the centre and starve the Collingwood mids.
One major key with this game will be how our forward line sets up, it has to be very mobile and constantly presenting to keep the Pies back line guessing.
As I posted in other threads I’m the eternal optimist and I think the Dogs will win and start the season rolling.

Dogs by 17

Hotdog60
29-04-2011, 01:32 PM
1st one I hope it's OK literary skills are not my forte'

Murphy'sLore
29-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks Hotdog, good on you for stepping up.

Sockeye Salmon
29-04-2011, 02:24 PM
I think Collingwood have changed the way you should play the game.

For the last decade the call has been 'move it quickly'; switch it to the fat side or use quick handball until you can get someone free.

I think we actually need to do what has previously been the unthinkable - slow it down and kick over the man on the mark.

Collingwood get a huge number of goals from turnovers caused by their pressure. Don't let them. No risky short stuff trying to pinpoint someone.

When you get a free/mark in the BP/HBF and no clear opportunity exists to get the ball forward to someone free, go long and wide - to a contest if necessary. Take the throw-in on the wing rather than a turnover at HF. We have plenty of contested ball winners in the midfield, we can win the contested ball, just don't give them easy goals.

And never, ever go backwards.

Hotdog60
29-04-2011, 02:34 PM

For the last decade the call has been 'move it quickly'; switch it to the fat side or use quick handball until you can get someone free.

I think we actually need to do what has previously been the unthinkable - slow it down and kick over the man on the mark.

Collingwood get a huge number of goals from turnovers caused by their pressure. Don't let them. No risky short stuff trying to pinpoint someone.

When you get a free/mark in the BP/HBF and no clear opportunity exists to get the ball forward to someone free, go long and wide - to a contest if necessary. Take the throw-in on the wing rather than a turnover at HF. We have plenty of contested ball winners in the midfield, we can win the contested ball, just don't give them easy goals.

Interesting theory SS, are we going back to the 70's. The one thing that might be a problem is the umpires. A player hardly gets time to set and his called to play on, thus rushing his decision

LostDoggy
29-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Gotta keep an eye on Pendlebury..damaging and can slip under the radar. Essendon hardly had someone matched up on him and look what that got him, the Anzac medal.

bornadog
29-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks Hotdog60, not easy doing the previews.

Interesting, Missing in this game from last year’s finals are:

Hargrave
Hudson
Harbrow
Johnson
Hahn
Eagleton
Callan
Higgins
Hall

That is a major difference to the team, almost half the players didn't play in that debacle.

Ozza
29-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Good stuff Hotdog 60.

As far as the midfield match ups are concerned - I'd like to see Cross tag Pendelbury. Generally I think the way forward for Crossy is with a defensive mindset. Pendelbury is an elite runner - and we know Crossy can run all day - so I hope thats the match up.

DOG GOD
29-04-2011, 05:34 PM

very well put SS...top post.

the banker
29-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks HD60.

IMO the forward set-up is the key to our competiveness in this game. We must get some scoreboard pressure through quality conversions. (Adam!?). It will be interesting to see if Eade starts Murphy forward. I would like to see that. I dont think Grant can take CHF and is more effective as a swooping marker and crumber - an opportunist rather than a target. You can bet Bob will present for the ball and he can be unpredictable in his movement. I think he can bring others into the game and give confidence to the back and mid-fielders streaming forward and looking for a target. We need Jones to hit packs like Nick Riewoldt, bring the ball to ground for Sherman and Cooney. Roughead the long bomb target. I am really looking forward to this match and hope for a good showing.

Bumper Bulldogs
29-04-2011, 06:55 PM
I have an interesting one ton throw at the guys on the thread,

I was thinking we are well equipped to cover the midfield within Collingwoods but the match up that concerns me he most is Swan.

Would we play two players and "Sub" them at half time just to try and curb him on the day? Could we run Addison and them Scofield and really hurt him for the day?

Do we think this would work as I think we can win the rest on the Midfield/Wing battles.

DOG GOD
29-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Trying to "tag" Swan is a waste of time for mine. He is almost untaggable moving thru the midfield. Boyd got destroyed last time they met, however, putting a press on Pendlebury is where it is for mine. Cross can run with him for sure, just have to try to negate his left foot.

I would put some sort of tag on Swan only when he is fwd...cant have him kicking 4 goals.

Prince Imperial
29-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks Hotdog60, not easy doing the previews.

Interesting, Missing in this game from last year’s finals are:

Hargrave
Hudson
Harbrow
Johnson
Hahn
Eagleton
Callan
Higgins
Hall

That is a major difference to the team, almost half the players didn't play in that debacle.

In fact you could throw in Gia and Wood to that mix. So that is half the team!

LostDoggy
29-04-2011, 08:44 PM
In fact you could throw in Gia and Wood to that mix. So that is half the team!

I always find it amazing when you go back say four years and compare the current side. Lists turnover alot from year to year.

Cyberdoggie
30-04-2011, 12:16 AM

An interesting theory. Pity we don't have many that can win a contested mark. :(

Sockeye Salmon
30-04-2011, 12:58 AM
An interesting theory. Pity we don't have many that can win a contested mark. :(

Each team takes about 5 contested marks a game - the most over-rated stat in football.

LostDoggy
30-04-2011, 01:23 AM
Right place right time Jones it's your time to shine against the odds.

LostDoggy
30-04-2011, 01:25 AM
The pups are going to win this one. Everyone is on notice

LostDoggy
30-04-2011, 01:48 AM
I'm actually really looking forward to seeing how our forward line fares not only offensively but more so defensively.

It is without doubt our biggest weakness and has been for a couple of years now.

But with Johnson, Akermanis, Hall, Giansiracusa, Hahn and Higgins not playing. All these players have really lacked in pace and defensive pressure over this period.

If you look at the forward line for this week, Jones and Grant both very quick. Then there's a number of players who will be rotated down there, Ward, Sherman, Addison, Griffen, Cooney, maybe Hill and Murphy. All these players have genuine speed or a desire to tackle.

So i can see what has been our biggest weakness, turning into possibly our biggest strength is these players apply themselves.

LostDoggy
30-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Collingwood Backline:
Chris Tarrant, Nick Maxwell, Heritier O'Brien
HB: Ben Johnson, Ben Reid, Heath Shaw

VS

Bulldogs Forward Line:
HF: Callan Ward, Jarrad Grant, Dylan Addison
F: Josh Hill, Liam Jones, Justin Sherman

That isn't looking good for us. We really need our midfielders to step up

Hotdog60
30-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Collingwood Backline:
Chris Tarrant, Nick Maxwell, Heritier O'Brien
HB: Ben Johnson, Ben Reid, Heath Shaw

VS

Bulldogs Forward Line:
HF: Callan Ward, Jarrad Grant, Dylan Addison
F: Josh Hill, Liam Jones, Justin Sherman

That isn't looking good for us. We really need our midfielders to step up

We can't bomb it in, we just have to be smart on our delivery.

Mantis
30-04-2011, 01:31 PM

Many have been seeing the same thing for a while, but we haven't seen it thus far.

It will be made even tougher by the amount of pressure Coll apply to the ball carrier.

bornadog
30-04-2011, 01:50 PM

The long Bomb is being used by clubs now to try and get over the forward press. If you are going to bomb it in long Jones, Roughead, Grant need to take contested marks.

Mantis
30-04-2011, 02:03 PM
The long Bomb is being used by clubs now to try and get over the forward press. If you are going to bomb it in long Jones, Roughead, Grant need to take contested marks.

Or perhaps Lake??

LostDoggy
30-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Or perhaps Lake??

yep and a resting minson needs to hold any that come his way . I have a feeling
he will have a good game tomorrow.

LostDoggy
30-04-2011, 02:14 PM
All these high hopes for Minson, which will probably mean he has a shocker now

(i hope he doesn't)

the banker
30-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Cooney is the key. We need him to have a chat to Chris Judd.

Flamethrower
30-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Trying to "tag" Swan is a waste of time for mine. He is almost untaggable moving thru the midfield. Boyd got destroyed last time they met, however, putting a press on Pendlebury is where it is for mine. Cross can run with him for sure, just have to try to negate his left foot.

I would put some sort of tag on Swan only when he is fwd...cant have him kicking 4 goals.

I am sure that this is a myth that Collingwood themselves started as Swan's influence increased over the last 12 months. Before that he was often shut out of games.

The problem is to stop Swan you need players who have both his endurance and explosive speed - many midfielders have one or the other, but very few have both. But that doesn't mean that you just give up and let Swan run rampant.

Pendlebury definitely needs a tag too, and we can't forget about Luke Ball either who has rejuvenated his career at Collingwood. Do we give Libba a big job this week as part of his learning curve?

Down back Morris must play on Didak, Williams on Cloke, Lake on Dawes and Markovic on Brown. Having 3 tall defenders now gives us the luxury of using Morris on players of similar size, not talls like Riewoldt and Pavlich.

I would play Bob Murphy across half forward, as we lack experience there with Grant, Roughead and Jones, and we need marking options (both pack and lead up) when trying to escape the Collingwood press/swarm. Don't be surprised to see Addison tag Ben Johnson - he is deadly by foot across half back and his influence needs to be restricted.

bornadog
30-04-2011, 03:44 PM
I noticed we have dropped back in the tackle count again. We are averaging 70 per game to Collingwood 78.; Tackles inside 50, we are averaging 7 to Collingwood 12, so most of the difference in total tackles is inside 50.

We need to ramp this up tomorrow.

Ghost Dog
30-04-2011, 03:53 PM
The problem is to stop Swan you need players who have both his A endurance and explosive speed - many midfielders have one or the other, but very few have both.

B) But that doesn't mean that you just give up and let Swan run rampant.

Disagree with A. Agree with B.

He has average endurance - he admitted so himself in an article last year as did Malthouse. Burst player. That's why he's one of the most heavily rotated players in the comp.( some stat I read last year, too lazy to ferret ) He needs more of a hard tag - body contact and agressive attention to wear him out. Otherwise it's just a foot race.
nobody is 'untaggable' They used to say that about Ablett. Doesn't seem as hard as it once was.

Greystache
30-04-2011, 07:59 PM
The problem is to stop Swan you need players who have both his endurance and explosive speed - many midfielders have one or the other, but very few have both. But that doesn't mean that you just give up and let Swan run rampant.

Heath Hocking tagged Swan almost out of the game last week, he doesn't have either particularly strong endurance or speed. Essendon just made sure he rotated everytime Swan did which allowed him to play in bursts too.

LostDoggy
30-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the preview Hotdog - liking your positive thoughts! Will be interesting to see how the boys face up to the Pies! I always get frustrated when I see Swan seemingly running around on his own - just how does he do that? Whoever gets him needs to tag him hard as has been previously posted - need to stick like glue to him!

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 11:22 AM
The main tactic that Collingwood uses is perceived pressure , an opponent who marks the ball has players quickly move into his field of vision while physical pressure is applied to potential targets up the ground, this has three effects , one - to slow down ball movement, two - the kick is usually a higher looping kick giving Collingwood players time to cut the ball off or spoil, three - opponents are convinced to try to switch play by kicking backwards, their defensive players are left free or given space as the Collingwood players are blocking the top of the 50 trying to block ball movement through the centre, play is switched to the wing and the process starts again.

This means that Collingwood has lateral zones that can be exploited by very fast ball movement through the corridor but in order to score goals you must have a combination of Midfielders who can run good lines to the top of the 50 and make a decision to kick the goal or pass to a leading forward, Forwards who lead strongly for the ball, who can crumb any spilled marks and can pressure Collingwood's rebound , you can't have one or the other , you must have both or you won't be able to score enough.

With Minson in for a sore Hudson we have a player who can give Wood and Brown a physical contest, he must use controlled aggression at the centre bounce , his tackling will be most important when the Collingwood midfielders try to spread , he must use his shoulder in the tackle and not hang his arm out, they will duck their heads and have a field day will free kicks, his presence in the corridor from 50 to 50 gives us a strong marking target but he must keep his hands soft.

Griffin, Cooney, Boyd and Sherman have to take the game on, goals from them will be very important, they can't let themselves get caught up in a static stop/ start war with the Collingwood midfielders , its all about the run and carry and only kicking to a leading player

I don't believe a hard tag is necessary but Luke Ball would be the most obvious opponent for Picken, or use him in a rotating BP to FP role

this game will be hard work, but if we want a result only hard work will get us over the line, this will be a test of character and will define our place in the 8

all the best boy's , bite off more than you can chew and chew like hell

Desipura
01-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Late change to the pies, their fullback is out!