PDA

View Full Version : Game Day 2011 - R6 Western Bulldogs vs Collingwood

BulldogBelle
30-04-2011, 12:34 AM
This is the discussion thread for our Sunday twillight game against Collingwood at the MCG.

My predictions are:

The Dogs by 3 points
BOG : Daniel Cross
Ryan Griffen to kick the first goal.

AndrewP6
30-04-2011, 12:51 AM
This is going to be like a young child watching a horror movie - I'll have to shield my eyes at times I think.

Heart says Dogs by 4 points, BOG Griff, First goal Grant.

Head says Pies by 79 points
BOG Swan
First goal Pendlebury.

Ghost Dog
30-04-2011, 01:46 AM
Realistically, a noble loss
Pies by a kick.

BOG Boyd
First Goal Didak

AndrewP6
30-04-2011, 02:15 AM
Realistically, a noble loss
Pies by a kick.

BOG Boyd
First Goal Didak

I'd be thrilled if we could push them that much...

Ghost Dog
30-04-2011, 02:22 AM
I'd be thrilled if we could push them that much...

Beware a bulldog when his backs to a wall :D

westdog54
30-04-2011, 03:45 AM
Collingwood by 35.

First Goal to Minson.

Thomas BOG.

chef
30-04-2011, 07:59 AM
Pies by 47
BOG Minson
First Goal Griffen

The Pie Man
30-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Hoping to be competitive early, before (this bit I'm not hoping for) going down by 7 goals

Like chef, I think Minson will put in a big one against Wood/Brown

Cooney to kick our first

bornadog
30-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Dogs by 5 points (I can't type the words Collingwood will win:D)

BOG Cooney (after his criticism he will fire up)

First Goal - Sherman

LostDoggy
30-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Pies by 58 Points
:(

Bulldog Joe
30-04-2011, 12:27 PM
I have felt pretty gloomy about this game since the fixture was released.

However, I am now much more buoyant and think the planets may be aligning for us.

The inclusion of Minson for this game can make a big difference and only he and Wood for the Pies are big guys on EITHER team who have had a 7 day break. If Minson was coming up against Wood in the VFL he would dominate him and it should be no exception in this game.

I actually called for Will to be saved for this one rather than go to Freo, so I am expecting BOG from Will and that includes hit-outs to advantage for Cooney, Griffen and others. We win the clearances and keep their backline under pressure.

Dogs by 27
Minson BOG
First goal Roughead.

Flamethrower
30-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Doggies by 18 points

BOG Ryan Griffen

1st goal Will Minson

the banker
30-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Close again agaist our topline rivals...anything could happen..but

Pies by 19
Best for us Cooney
First goal for us Sherman

bornadog
30-04-2011, 03:36 PM
I have felt pretty gloomy about this game since the fixture was released.

However, I am now much more buoyant and think the planets may be aligning for us.

The inclusion of Minson for this game can make a big difference and only he and Wood for the Pies are big guys on EITHER team who have had a 7 day break. If Minson was coming up against Wood in the VFL he would dominate him and it should be no exception in this game.

I actually called for Will to be saved for this one rather than go to Freo, so I am expecting BOG from Will and that includes hit-outs to advantage for Cooney, Griffen and others. We win the clearances and keep their backline under pressure.

Dogs by 27
Minson BOG
First goal Roughead.

You saw them live last week I believe? Always different when you see a team live. Hope your right about this one.

Go_Dogs
30-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Dogs by 2 points in an epic game.
BOG Cooney (fingers crossed)
First Goal Ward

LostDoggy
30-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Dogs by a point,
First goal Sherman
Bog Griffen

Break out game for Jones
Imposing game from Will, loving the Will love on this thread.

LostDoggy
30-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Pies by 72
BOG Didak or Leon (one of those players that step up in blowouts)
First Goal: Josh Hill

The Bulldogs Bite
30-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Pies by 65 points.
BOG: Swan.
First Goal: Boyd.

Greystache
30-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Collingwood by 65
BOG- Swan
First goal- Cloke

DOG GOD
30-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Pies by 56
BOG - Swan
First goal - cloke I(and many more if williams doesnt play)
Game over at qtr time :(

LostDoggy
30-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Gotta keep the faith (even if I don't put actual money on it!):

Dogs by 1 point
BOG - Wilbur (grabbing his chance by the throat & shaking the C ** P out of it!)
First goal = Griffen

Bulldog Joe
01-05-2011, 12:37 AM
You saw them live last week I believe? Always different when you see a team live. Hope your right about this one.

Yes I saw them live last week and was impressed with the intensity.

Also like the ins this week with Addison and Minson, while Jones will provide at least as much as Hall did last week.

Winning the clearances and using it efficiently is the key.

Chicago1
01-05-2011, 03:02 AM
I just found out the match is being shown live on ESPN2 television in the United States at 1am Chicago time! Yay! I'm alerting my brother in downstate Illinois so he can see them for the very first time live! I just might have to make some sausage rolls for the occasion. And I have a couple of bottles of James Hoags Lager left so... :D

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 07:33 AM
I have a good feeling about this game, an upset

Dogs by 7 points
BOG Griffen
1st goal Grant

Cooney playing a rrrrrrrripper.

The Pie Man
01-05-2011, 09:53 AM
To all of you tipping us - you're getting my hopes us, you evil optimistic things ;)

Game day emotions always surprise you

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Pies by 45
BOG Pendlebury
First goal Cloke

Bumper Bulldogs
01-05-2011, 11:26 AM
OK Guys, I've been on edge all week and thing we are a genuine chance, even the weather is going to play into our hands.

I expect big games from Cooney, Griff, Ward, Boyd and Cross, Minson will be BOG as he should be so hungry for a game it's not funny.

Rocket would have been planning this one sine round 1 as we have had 3 byes. It will be a season defining game for us both on & off the field.

As per the years prior to last we match up well against them and they are due for a loss and not playing their best footy. With the small patches on game time i seen this year our upside is huge.

Dogs by 17 points
BOG Minson with 3 goals
First goal Addison as a defensive forward for the day.

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Dogs by 3
BOG - Swan
First Goal - Hill

We dominate the corridor we win by 3, Too many static contests on the wing they win by 30+

Tough day at the office

jazzadogs
01-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Pies by 23.

There will be patches where we all get excited and think that we're up and about, like Richmond/Essendon had in the last two weeks, then the Pies will click into another gear and our Pups won't be able to keep up.

Going to take a huge improvement in skill level for us to get over the line, and if it rains that's going to be a lot harder.

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 12:24 PM
I wanna see;

Dogs by 5pts
BOG - Boyd
First Goal - Wallis

What I think we might see;

Pies by 38pts
BOG - Pendlebury (must tag. hard.)
First Goal - Any of Collingwoods midget midfielders.

EasternWest
01-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Dogs by 8
Bog Griffen
First goal Griffen

Pickenitup
01-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Moles sub for us Tarrant out for Pies Buckley in

Bumper Bulldogs
01-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Moles sub for us Tarrant out for Pies Buckley in

More good news for the Dogs.

I am feeling Luck about this game.

Rance Fan
01-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Good start!

GVGjr
01-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Nice start

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Great start.
Loving the pressure, and the skill execution early on.
Very early days, but just the start we wanted to see.

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Nice start

Very good start, great stuff boys.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 06:02 PM
What a crap decision against Minson. That should've been a free to Will.
Collingwood have responded, as we knew they would. Starting to find players on the spread.
Now we'll find out something about how our team goes.

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Found a stream to watch it over the net, we seem to be playing ok.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Gees, Gilbee's footskills have deteriorated

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Found a stream to watch it over the net, we seem to be playing ok.

Ooh, share please? Cheers.

BWFC
01-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Great contest. The boys are switched on today and having a real dip.

Ghost Dog
01-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Come on dogs!

jasopan
01-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Ooh, share please? Cheers.

I second this! Really appreciate it :)

Bulldog4life
01-05-2011, 06:18 PM
I really like what I'm seeing.

Ghost Dog
01-05-2011, 06:19 PM
First time pies have lost contested possession in 16 games...^_^

Addison on Didak -
Some wasted opportunities undoing a lot of good work at the moment

The Pie Man
01-05-2011, 06:19 PM
What a crap decision against Minson. That should've been a free to Will.
Collingwood have responded, as we knew they would. Starting to find players on the spread.
Now we'll find out something about how our team goes.

Someone will have to take me through that call on Minson one day, we took a few softies ourselves so it hasn't thrown the balance of the game, but gee that looked an astonishingly bad decision

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Very good effort. Collingwood have definitely responded, and whilst they don't have the overall initiative, they have negated the early advantage we had around the stoppages.

Early on in the quarter, Jones and Grant were staying fairly deep, which was working, however as the quarter developed they were getting sucked in higher up the field, which was playing into Collingwood's hands a bit.

Collingwood haven't been able to fully get their run and spread working yet, but some poor marking attempts by Dawes has helped us. Overall our back 6 is doing well, and Cloke I don't think has had a possie, and Morris has so far been able to stymie Didak.

Loving the work rate of Cross, Cooney's intensity has lifted, Picken is doing well, and overall our effort around the clinches.

An interesting stat. The Dogs have had won forward contested possessions in the forward line 14 times, the Pies only won 3 contested possies in their forward line. That's a great win for us, as it's Collingwood's big strength.

Looming as a fantastic, if low scoring game, as the rain comes.

Pies have activated their sub, Buckley in Johnson off injured.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Use of the ball has dropped off from us early on, can't afford that against the Pies. Jones, Ward, Cross all have made some poor errors with their disposals so far.
Interesting period of play now, as Collingwood are starting to get on top around the ground and in contests.
Need some poise.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Real armwrestle, but Collingwood slowly gaining the ascendency. Probably could've had a couple more goals.
Dogs having real trouble getting the ball smartly into our forward line, and the Pies gaining the upper hand around the ground and at contests.
Need to just find a way to get a goal to relieve the pressure.
Really liking Markovic's game.

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Stupid free kick from Picken, just had to spoil Thomas.

Go_Dogs
In a bit of trouble now.

LostDoggy
Good fast start but

Collingwood on top now , several floods , have tried to pressure , Colllingwood midfield spreading quickly , have been able to force some mistakes but have turned it over on the rebound, Sidebottom has been added as the extra midfielder , Markovic , Williams , Lake and Murphy having to work overtime , unable to effectively move it into the 50 , the fact the score is close gives us a chance but we have to stop flooding/ reacting , must score before HT

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Gates are going to open up very soon.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 06:51 PM
4 goals to Collingwood to our 0 goals.
Dogs are allowing Collingwood to have an extra man at stoppages, which is killing us, so we can have an extra one in defense and be able to keep our 6 forward at home.

Rocket needs to re-evaluate this tactic, as they are geting so much drive now at stoppages.
I know what Eade is trying to do by keeping 6 forwards, but he really needs to look at something else to make the Pies re-think that tactic, because the ball is not getting up into our forward line at all.

Very lucky not to be more than 15 points down. But unless we come up with something to counteract Collingwood's midfield, the scoreline is guaranteed to get worse by 3Qtr time.

DOG GOD
01-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Pies should be 9.3 instead of 3.9 as they should have really put this game away with the amount of ball they had in the 2nd. Roughie is certainly a liability in these conditions. Fwd line started well in playing one on one and making their defenders accountable, but fell off in that qtr. Boyd playing his usual game on Swan, nowhere to be seen near him.

Dogs defense doing ok considering the amount of ball going in there. We'll be lucky to kick 7 goals for the game.

Topdog
01-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Gates are going to open up very soon.

Are you being pessimistic or do you really believe it?

I'm only listening on the radio and it certainly sounds that way but I'm hoping they are over exaggerating.

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Are you being pessimistic or do you really believe it?

I'm only listening on the radio and it certainly sounds that way but I'm hoping they are over exaggerating.

Nope, it's going to happen.

Collingwood dominated that quarter & i still think we are playing very average football, i fear the game will be over after 10 minutes of the 3rd.

Topdog
01-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Cheers, I get to watch the last qtr, should be interesting.

The Pie Man
01-05-2011, 07:04 PM
3.5 to zip and not scoring for over a qtr reads bad, but we haven't been uncompetitive at all.

One point that quarter I saw Jordan blow up completely, OS flank where I'm sitting, he couldn't bend over for a lose ball then just stumbled to the line to then (what looked like) throw up

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Nope, it's going to happen.

Collingwood dominated that quarter & i still think we are playing very average football, i fear the game will be over after 10 minutes of the 3rd.

I'm not convinced of that.
Our intensity is good. We've got more tackles 42-35, and yet they have only had 18 more possies than us.

Disposal efficiency is important, especially at key times. We should've had two goals in the second quarter, that would've relieved some of the pressure that built up, but used it poorly going in forward.

The big issue that must be resolved is coming up with some counter tactic from Eade & Co, to try to regain the ascendency we had in the midfield in the first quarter.

I wonder if Eade would consider subbing out Roughy for Moles late in the 3rd? Minson has been very good in the ruck, it's just a question if he's got the tank to do it on his own for the last quarter.

Collingwood are in the box seat no doubt, have wrested control of the game with some key moves in the second, but I think the indicators otherwise look good for us, at least having a crack and not letting the score blow out. Again on the proviso that Eade & Co can somehow regain the tactical ascendency.

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 07:10 PM
We need to get Roughy off. We need an extra runner. Game time dogs!

aker39
01-05-2011, 07:25 PM
49 inside 50's to 19

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Disappointing that we don't appear to have tried anything different.
Slipping quickly now to in inevitable loss if we don't do something soon.

FrediKanoute
01-05-2011, 07:27 PM
This is going to get ugly.

Ghost Dog
01-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Josh Hill looks either stuffed or dispirited... not even trying to spoil off the mark..lazy hand in the air
SHERMANATOR!!!! great work from Gillbee

LostDog
01-05-2011, 07:29 PM
its gonna be a long year !!

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Not looking good now , Sidebottom a real key as the extra midfielder , not really sure what our plan is now to get the ball forward, Wallis having a go , if we can't lift this could blow out to be 30+ loss , defense tiring now , Moles on now as the Sub he should go to Swan

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Great play Gilbee. That's what we needed.

Ghost Dog
01-05-2011, 07:35 PM
That was cruel for Dik to get that goal. How is it they had so much space to run it down like that???

The Pie Man
01-05-2011, 07:36 PM
That was cruel for Dik to get that goal. How is it they had so much space to run it down like that???

That was the most annoying part of the night so far, no manning up on that flank coming out. Too easy

LostDog
01-05-2011, 07:37 PM
TV has been turned off!!!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 07:39 PM
That Collingwood passage of play just highlights the difference between us. We work extremely hard and scrappily to peg a goal back, then have the bulk of play in our forward line, but can't score. And then Collingwood are able to spread, find players wide, and go coast to coast for a very easy goal.
The problem with seeing the game on TV is that I have no idea how the Pies defenders, midfielders are getting free from the back half to allow this to occur? Whatever it is, it's disappointing, and if it's players not doing their job, then Eade needs to find some guys who will. And if it's coaching, then our staff need to reassess their instructions.

Ghost Dog
01-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Sherman!!

We are still in this

PICKENNNNNNNNNN right on the siren!

EasternWest
01-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Super goal from Gilbee. We've lifted in the last ten minutes.

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Gilbee scores, small window opens for the last quarter , Picken nails another from long range , 8 points the difference , must push hard now , we just can't leave anything in the tank in the last quarter

LostDog
01-05-2011, 07:45 PM
TV Back on, COME ON YOU DOGS!!!

jasopan
Pickennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Go_Dogs
Great finish to the 3rd there. We're right in this.

DOG GOD
Gotta get the 1st goal of the last to keep that last momentum going. If they have belief anything could happen. Just gotta get enough inside 50's to give themselves a chance.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Now that's the type of kick we've come to expect from Gilbee. and as I type and beauty from Picken!! 8 points.

Interesting to see from a piece of vision on the game, is that we appear to have bitten the bullet and are now pushing our forward up the ground very high.
Not being at the ground, I don't know if that's been the tactical change that has allowed us to get some momentum going. But at least we've done something different and now the Pies coaches at least have something to think about.

EasternWest
01-05-2011, 07:46 PM
What changed that we suddenly lifted? Moles' fresh legs?

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 07:47 PM

Hahahaha.

Worst thing for us was the three quarter time siren.

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Go dogs, hope we can keep this going - they seem to believe they can do it! :D

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 07:48 PM
What changed that we suddenly lifted? Moles' fresh legs?

Don't necessarily think it's Moles himself, he's not had any real individual influence. However it has allowed us to go more mobile up forward with some smaller ground level guys now rotating through where Roughhead was playing.

Go_Dogs
01-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Hahahaha.

If Collingwood kick the first, I vote LostDog's TV gets switched off again! :D

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

That's a shame LostDog, despite still being behind, we've at least done something and are giving ourselves some chance.

EasternWest
Don't necessarily think it's Moles himself, he's not had any real individual influence. However it has allowed us to go more mobile up forward with some smaller ground level guys now rotating through where Roughhead was playing.

Cool. Sounds fair enough. Gotta come out ready to go here.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 07:50 PM

Good to see!!

Chicago1
01-05-2011, 07:51 PM
How the hell am I going to fall asleep after this? What a change in a few minutes.

LostDoggy
Murphy moves forward , Jones misses two shots at goal

Ghost Dog
Two very bad misses from Jones. One very gettable

Bad miss from Sidebottom

Cooney great work in the centre.
SHERRRRRMAN

Bad spoil from Lake to gift them
Collingwood out by 12

So disappointing - I need a drink

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Sherman scores , 1 point the difference

LostDoggy
Yewwwwwwwwwwww!

Go_Dogs
Sherman!!!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Sherman!!!

Come on boys, 1 point down.

Chicago1
01-05-2011, 07:55 PM
OMG Scores level. I never would have believed this a half hour ago.

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Ohhh!Crap!

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 07:59 PM
How the hell am I going to fall asleep after this? What a change in a few minutes.

If we win, you won't need to sleep!!!!

LostDoggy
Pies getting a free ride with free kicks

EasternWest
Well. The umps are going to have to call every single one of those in the backs from hereon out.

You know, those ones that happen pretty much anytime anyone kicks.

Go_Dogs
A few crucial umpiring mistakes have resulted in goals that have cost us.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Stupid Mistakes, Lake & Gilbee. result 2 goals.

That really hurts, and those two should know better.

LostDoggy
What the s*** is with these awful free kicks?!

EasternWest
01-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Geez. Leigh Brown.

Chicago1
01-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Oh well. That's it. Brown again. :mad:

lemmon
01-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Looks like we've made our dash

The Pie Man
01-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Ughh anyone but Leigh Brown, geebus

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 08:03 PM
We always seem to make Leigh Brown look like a star, instead of the good honest toiler that he is.
3 goals from him this quarter and the game now looks beyond us.

Losing our composure under pressure.

Go_Dogs
01-05-2011, 08:03 PM
That miss helps. Still not out of it, but need a quick one.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 08:04 PM
It's gone now, I think.

Chicago1
01-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Boy, that was quick. Just a few minutes of heaven and now this...:(

Go_Dogs
Actually, now we may be out of it.

Ah well, we've improved and have a few key players to come back still.

LostDoggy
All done, good effort guys.

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 08:06 PM
25 points down and Collingwood floods the defensive 50

JohnGentStand
01-05-2011, 08:07 PM
It's gone now, I think.
no giving up now, fight it out to the siren doggies

LostDog
01-05-2011, 08:07 PM
we have to win next week or the season is gonna be lost

LostDog
01-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Leigh Brown wtf

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 08:11 PM
I am still trying to figure out how Collingwood have so many players around the ball carrier all the time, it's unbelievable.

Not just this game, but every game.

JohnGentStand
this is not how to finish, we NEED to play to the siren

LostDog
not impressed with the margin at the minute, we need the percentage

LostDoggy
Damn, tired defense and Brown get's 4 in a quarter , too hard to get back now

Sidebottom almost BOG

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Well, the players have to own this one.
Eade I thought has done very well, in timing his change of tactics in the third quarter.

EasternWest
01-05-2011, 08:13 PM
I can take getting beaten by a better team, but how do they have so many players around the ball and running on to it?

Ghost Dog
01-05-2011, 08:13 PM
Killed in the last quarter Collingwood have 4 players loose in the fw 50. Man the hell up

LostDog
01-05-2011, 08:14 PM
I wanna see someone knock Dale Thomas' head off, and half a dozen other collingwood scum

Chicago1
01-05-2011, 08:14 PM
What a great disappointment the last fifteen minutes have been. Why didn't the quarter end when the scores were level? :( And another bloody goal by Collingwood.

Rance Fan
01-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Didnt make em pay early in the last!

EasternWest
01-05-2011, 08:15 PM
I wanna see someone knock Dale Thomas' head off, and half a dozen other collingwood scum

Why? Because they're better than us?

I can understand your frustration, but I can't see why you'd think that?

DOG GOD
01-05-2011, 08:19 PM
When Brown kicks 4 goals in a qtr u know ur in trouble.

Ghost Dog
01-05-2011, 08:20 PM
I can take getting beaten by a better team, but how do they have so many players around the ball and running on to it?

Exactly. I have to stop watching

BT mentioned Moles wandering about without a man. So collingwood have an extra man running about. Beaten by a fitter side and killed by innacuracies. Need to nail those set shots to get some score board pressure.
We should never have let that blow out like that.

Chicago1
01-05-2011, 08:23 PM
This is one of the worst losses that I have seen in a long time. To be level in this quarter and to lose by 48 points is just unbelievable. I am disconsolate.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 08:23 PM
The last ten minutes have realy undone all the good work and belief they would've gained from their late charge.
If we had've at least kept it close, they could've taken alot from this game, but now it must just be quite crushing.
So 2 and 3 now, going to require a very committed next 6 or 7 weeks from us now to get something going for this season.

Chicago1
01-05-2011, 08:25 PM
And we're below Richmond on the Ladder. :mad:

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Exactly. I have to stop watching

BT mentioned Moles wandering about without a man. So collingwood have an extra man running about. Beaten by a fitter side and killed by innacuracies. Need to nail those set shots to get some score board pressure.
We should never have let that blow out like that.

Agree, it's so frustrating, in that we show that we absolutely can match it with Collingwood, but are unable to sustain it for the period of time necessary.

LostDog
01-05-2011, 08:26 PM
At least we are not St Kilda

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 08:27 PM
All over now, 8 goals to nil to finish us off , the effort to get level can be taken both ways - did we lift or did they back off , the move of Brown to the forward line and the lift in intensity of the Collingwood smalls was too much for a tired defense , I hav'nt heard anything yet about injuries or knocks yet , that would have been salt in the wound to get several injuries

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 08:27 PM
This is why last week against Freo was so important, because next week against Sydney is huge now.

After Richmond & WCE, we have three tough teams in a row as well.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Agree, it's so frustrating, in that we show that we absolutely can match it with Collingwood, but are unable to sustain it for the period of time necessary.

Mentally I think we have not improved, you get on a run like we had and we are soft enough to get flogged!

Bumper Bulldogs
01-05-2011, 08:37 PM
This is why last week against Freo was so important, because next week against Sydney is huge now.

After Richmond & WCE, we have three tough teams in a row as well.

Richmond & West Coast are no certainties by any stretch.

Chicago1
01-05-2011, 08:39 PM
One consolation for me... I won't have to read about the loss in our local papers. :p Good night... errr... good morning all!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Mentally I think we have not improved, you get on a run like we had and we are soft enough to get flogged!

Yes, i'd like to know how we let them score 8 goals in the last, when they had only scored 7 up to 3Qtr time. Although I suspect that wen the margin got beyond us, we really had no choice but to roll the dice and play off blokes and try and position ourselves in an ultra attacking mode, which lets a team ripe to be ripped open.

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 08:41 PM

I agree.

It's a gripe of the playing group i have had for sometime, i am not sure what we need to do, to snap out of it.

Ghost Dog
01-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Agree Glove38. Exactly
Not everyone kept their chins up when the chips were down and that was disappointing.
Must have a 22 that keeps fighting to the bitter end or lets just forget it until we do

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 08:50 PM
One consolation for me... I won't have to read about the loss in our local papers. :p Good night... errr... good morning all!

Try and sleep well Chicago1! We've just got to put this behind us!

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Yes, I commented on the thread about "what we wanted to see in this game" that I wanted to see a team that was able to grab back the lead and then maintain it. We just haven't been able to do that for a while! :mad: They looked darn tired in the last quarter, didn't they?

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 09:19 PM
How come our forward press never seems to work. Continually Collingwood were able to get the ball out and move it with ease in transition. We would continually struggle, end up bombing it and it would go straight back over our heads. Anyone got any theories on why we are so bad at this?

Is it just me or is football really boring to watch these days...

Jasper
01-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Thought we tried hard. We were very disciplined going down the line and forcing a contest when going forward. We at least look to have some purpose going forward which has been absent against the Pies in the recent past. Our forward pressure in the first half was quite good. Mitch Wallis did some good things early that directly contributed to our first two goals. A few basic errors cost us with I think Addison and Williams kicking off the back foot and off balance and turning it over (from marks so they weren't under pressure). Jones' kicking let us down. But all in all I thought the game was positive, despite the finish.

I thought we looked a lot quicker with the like of Hall, Higgins, Gia, Hudson and Hargrave out.

I also thought Minson's apparent dominance in tapping the ball really helped our mids, and I would like to think he can get an extended run, perhaps with Hudson and Roughy rotating for the next few weeks.

Markovic if he can hold his form and not have his lack of pace exploited too much could be fantastic.

Lake needs more time.

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 09:34 PM
A little tipsy. But one thing I can take out of the game is: Lime Jones: Out

Mantis
01-05-2011, 09:35 PM

Head back to the bar and finish the job off properly.

whythelongface
01-05-2011, 09:36 PM

Out?? For what reason? Thought he lead well and took some good marks. A definite positive from today's game.

Dry Rot
01-05-2011, 09:38 PM

Eh? Thought he was a big positive out of today.

lemmon
01-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Cant forget about the trip back from Perth, not an excuse but still a reason.

whythelongface
01-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Thought we tried hard. We were very disciplined going down the line and forcing a contest when going forward. We at least look to have some purpose going forward which has been absent against the Pies in the recent past. Our forward pressure in the first half was quite good. Mitch Wallis did some good things early that directly contributed to our first two goals. A few basic errors cost us with I think Addison and Williams kicking off the back foot and off balance and turning it over (from marks so they weren't under pressure). Jones' kicking let us down. But all in all I thought the game was positive, despite the finish.

I thought we looked a lot quicker with the like of Hall, Higgins, Gia, Hudson and Hargrave out.

I also thought Minson's apparent dominance in tapping the ball really helped our mids, and I would like to think he can get an extended run, perhaps with Hudson and Roughy rotating for the next few weeks.

Markovic if he can hold his form and not have his lack of pace exploited too much could be fantastic.

Lake needs more time.

Pretty fair assessment Kelivinator. Certainly some positives that we can take away from today.

Despite the blow out in the score I was generally impressed with endeavour and the ability to get back into the game.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 09:42 PM

I think you might be a little more than tipsy if you think "Lime" Jones out is your main observation from tonight. He showed alot tonight, but unfortunately let himself down with some poor goalkicking.

Greystache
01-05-2011, 09:43 PM

Drop one of our few positives?

Our senior players aren't going to take us forward, Jones is one of the players we need to rebuild around.

the banker
01-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Left the G at around the 19 minute mark of the last, so haven't seen the final rush of goals. Up to that point I thought we had put up a grand effort. We did however lack the presence of mind that Collingwood have. Decision making and excecution under pressure couldn't match them.. Witness Leigh Brown conversions v Liam Jones efforts. Blow outs can happen late in games. Collingwood are an exceptional side ATM, often with 4 A graders around the ball. Defensively I thought we did well and at times we had a bit of dash that cut through their defensive lines.. When the rain came was when Collingwood gained ascendency in the 2nd quarter.

There are lots of things I like but losing to both Essendon and Freo has set us behind the 8 ball. Need to win 5 of the next 7.

Ghost Dog
01-05-2011, 09:48 PM
I feel angry. Do I take this too seriously?? gah Chill pill needed!
*takes a big breath *

Swan was managed, Didak no real impact, I mean we did such a good job for 3 quarters on some of the best in the game. Well done guys3quarters, BUT gah...I hate being thrashed by collingwood.

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 10:10 PM
I think you might be a little more than tipsy if you think "Lime" Jones out is your main observation from tonight. He showed alot tonight, but unfortunately let himself down with some poor goalkicking.

Lime is a compliment. Don't want to make lemons look bad. Fair enough, he is a young player, he has positive moments. But to miss 2 goals from the same spot within 2 minutes. It cost us the game or at least cost us from losing so badly in the end.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-05-2011, 10:14 PM
We will struggle to make the final 8.

SonofScray
01-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Probably a really rough final margin when you consider the context of the game. It was about two kicks the margin all day and even into the last it was up for grabs. End of the day though that margin stings and strips us of a few positives we could take away.

Minson was terrific, the guy has been banging down the door and got a deserved chance which he gripped very firmly. Showed some real character.

Wallis, Libba, Picken, Sherman, Markovic, and Morris I felt all did their jobs to a high standard.

Our more elite players failed to put in elite performances. Getting to very frustrating levels now.

I thought the game was broken open on the back of a few dodgy calls which is killing me because the final margin means I can't say that with any objectivity. I felt we dropped right off after Brown kicked his 3rd. How he managed to do what we always are looking for from one our own is beyond me, he has only a skerrick of the talent some of our guys have. When will Higgins or Cooney do that?

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Lime is a compliment. Don't want to make lemons look bad. Fair enough, he is a young player, he has positive moments. But to miss 2 goals from the same spot within 2 minutes. It cost us the game or at least cost us from losing so badly in the end.

Were you calling for Cooney to be dropped last week?

Sedat
01-05-2011, 10:32 PM
I thought the game was broken open on the back of a few dodgy calls which is killing me because the final margin means I can't say that with any objectivity.
I reckon you're giving the playing group an undeserved out. We subbed off a non-factor tall and replaced him with an extra mid, while Collingwood were forced to use their sub early. When we drew level (and should have been in front) early in the last qtr, we only needed to maintain our workrate and continue to win the clearances, and we should have been in the game up to our eyeballs. Unfortunately there was only one team working hard in that last 25 minutes - Collingwood's fanatical workrate to run and spread from the stoppage and make repeat contest after repeat contest left our efforts for dust. Yes Brown plucked them from his backside and there were a couple of dubious decisions, but I was savagely disappointed with our last qtr workrate tonight.

SonofScray
01-05-2011, 10:54 PM
I reckon you're giving the playing group an undeserved out. We subbed off a non-factor tall and replaced him with an extra mid, while Collingwood were forced to use their sub early. When we drew level (and should have been in front) early in the last qtr, we only needed to maintain our workrate and continue to win the clearances, and we should have been in the game up to our eyeballs. Unfortunately there was only one team working hard in that last 25 minutes - Collingwood's fanatical workrate to run and spread from the stoppage and make repeat contest after repeat contest left our efforts for dust. Yes Brown plucked them from his backside and there were a couple of dubious decisions, but I was savagely disappointed with our last qtr workrate tonight.

Think that's fair enough as well. I'm not happy with the effort which was a massive let down given how they had let us off the hook and we could have pounced. Just throwing the vibe I got out there, not one to blame umpires etc but I felt thast we really faded on the back of a short run of bad luck in that sense.

Ghost Dog
01-05-2011, 11:12 PM

That's it. you summed it up really well there sedat.

bornadog
01-05-2011, 11:54 PM

seem to run out of legs in the end and they slammed on those goals.

Ghost Dog
01-05-2011, 11:57 PM
five things gleaned from commentary on Fox Sports, take it or leave it

1. Roughead is too slow, looks undercooked, a wasted pick. ( B T )

2. Opposition coaches rejoice when Murphy is put in the backline. They hate him in the foward line ( Roos )

3. Moles wandering around without a direct opponent during critical moments in 4Q..( Gerad Healy )

4. Jones needs urgent attention with his kicking action ( healy ) way he holds it and not over the ball enough.

5. Williams suffers from poor balance when he kicks. He needs to stop and balance; does not seem to have skills to grab and kick like some players. ( Healy? ) In his view, needs to be taught to slow it down a bit

G-Mo77
02-05-2011, 12:14 AM
I'm not sure what to make of this game. It's really disappointing we lost by so much when getting so close but we also did have a big lapse from about half way through the first quarter right up until the third. I think we only scored a point in that stretch.

Defensively they worked really hard and they had to at times. Morris was terrific down back I think we all take him for granted at times. I thought Marcovic was really good as well. Lake battled hard but wasn't great and Tommy was also OK when he didn't have to dispose of the ball, what I'm trying to say defensively he was good and of course Murphy. If these guys lay down in the second this game would have been over early.

I was very happy with Jones' game today against a very stingy defence. He looked better without Hall which is something we really should seriously think about.

Really disappointed in a few. Most have been mentioned and I really said enough about one of them last week. No need to go over it again.

I don't think we were disgraced today but we are still a long way off.

AndrewP6
02-05-2011, 12:19 AM
I'm not sure what to make of this game. It's really disappointing we lost by so much when getting so close but we also did have a big lapse from about half way through the first quarter right up until the third. I think we only scored a point in that stretch.

I was very happy with Jones' game today against a very stingy defence. He looked better without Hall which is something we really should seriously think about.

In 2012, we'll have no choice..

I don't think we were disgraced today but we are still a long way off.
Agreed.

G-Mo77
02-05-2011, 12:28 AM
In 2012, we'll have no choice..

In 2011 we do though.

westdog54
02-05-2011, 12:29 AM
five things gleaned from commentary on Fox Sports, take it or leave it

1. Roughead is too slow, looks undercooked, a wasted pick. ( B T )

Clarification before I reply to the post: Wasted draft pick or wasted selection this week?

AndrewP6
02-05-2011, 12:31 AM
In 2011 we do though.

Were you alluding to not playing them together? If so, I'm not sure I agree.

Ghost Dog
02-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Clarification before I reply to the post: Wasted draft pick or wasted selection this week?

Wasted selection against these particular opponents. Comment was made after he Being pushed off the ball a few times, slow to the contest.
Suggested by having him in we were essentially a man down.
What do you reckon westdog54?

G-Mo77
02-05-2011, 12:39 AM
Were you alluding to not playing them together? If so, I'm not sure I agree.

Yeah I am. Our entry into the forward half, when it did get there, was not one dimensional tonight. Throw a smaller forward in beside him like Higgins and Gia and it's a pretty potent combo.

I really think we are a long way back even at full strength. If this season does get away from us and sadly I think it will it's something we must do and it's something we should consider now as well.

AndrewP6
02-05-2011, 12:43 AM
Yeah I am. Our entry into the forward half, when it did get there, was not one dimensional tonight. Throw a smaller forward in beside him like Higgins and Gia and it's a pretty potent combo.

I think this is a bigger issue. I've been saying since last year that we never seem to have our small forwards near the fall of the ball inside 50. Still not sure I'd be leaving Baz out of the side unless he was unfit. Can't see Jones kicking 80 goals yet.

Ghost Dog
02-05-2011, 12:45 AM

Wasted selection against these opponents. Suggested by having him in we were essentially a man down.

There were a few passages of play I can recall he did seem pretty easily pushed off the ball or a bit ungainly. It's easy to sit in a commentary box and take pot shots but on a dry night, who knows, may have done better.

westdog54
02-05-2011, 12:47 AM
Wasted selection against these particular opponents. Comment was made after he Being pushed off the ball a few times, slow to the contest.
Suggested by having him in we were essentially a man down.
What do you reckon westdog54?

I doubt that Hudson would have been any quicker to the contest, though there would not have been the issue of being pushed off the ball, if he was fit to go. All I can say is thank Christ Minson grabbed his chance. I didn't see the game but from all evidence he put in a mighty effort.

Having not seen the game, did Minson ruck solo after Roughead was subbed?

G-Mo77
02-05-2011, 12:54 AM
I think this is a bigger issue. I've been saying since last year that we never seem to have our small forwards near the fall of the ball inside 50. Still not sure I'd be leaving Baz out of the side unless he was unfit. Can't see Jones kicking 80 goals yet.

We really don't have a true crumbing scorer so we're SOL there. I'd like to see smaller forwards leading and kicking goals. Higgins and Gia play that role well and I haven't seen much of Vez but I believe that is something he is good at, it's something I'd like see more of. I think it would work better with Jones as the mids aren't as one dimensional. That's just the way I see it.

Jones won't ever kick 80 goals but do we really want him to do it?

You're right Baz won't ever be left out of the team if he's fit. Hudson, if fit will also come straight back in. I'm starting to think that is not a good thing. :confused:

Ghost Dog
02-05-2011, 12:54 AM

If you had to choose between Jones or Grant, who would you have in the F line with Baz?

Ghost Dog
02-05-2011, 12:57 AM
We really don't have a true crumbing scorer so we're SOL there. I'd like to see smaller forwards leading and kicking goals. Higgins and Gia play that role well and I haven't seen much of Vez but I believe that is something he is good at, it's something I'd like see more of. I think it would work better with Jones as the mids aren't as one dimensional. That's just the way I see it.

You're right Baz won't ever be left out of the team if he's fit. Hudson, if fit will also come straight back in. I'm starting to think that is not a good thing. :confused:

Sherman certainly plays like a crumber.

Agree G-Mo, re Bazza. Doubtful he'll get up next week so looking foward to seeing Jones have another go. Less predictable tonight

G-Mo77
02-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Andrew, If you had to choose between Jones or Grant, who would you have in the F line with Baz?

Sherman certainly plays like a crumber.

He's the closest thing we have to a crumber but I'm positive that is not why we recruited him.

AndrewP6
02-05-2011, 01:17 AM
If you had to choose between Jones or Grant, who would you have in the F line with Baz?

Probably Jones at this stage.

AndrewP6
02-05-2011, 01:21 AM

True we don't have a true crumbing scorer. Sherm has played this role Ok the last couple, and stolen a couple. I'm no expert, but it seems our forwards are often not even in the vicinity when such potential chances crop up - and Sherm has been.

Hotdog60
02-05-2011, 08:19 AM
I thought Jones contested well, he was too much for Maxwell one on one and Mick had shifted him to the forward half.
The only blight on Jones game is the missed opportunities and could have had 3 goals against his name and maybe needed a bit of patience so he didn't kick into the man on the mark.
At this stage I would keep Jones in and drop Grant who hasn't marked the ball in awhile.

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Face it, we're rebuilding and our window of the last three years appears shut. I'm happy to be playing the kids, it's the only way they'll get better at this level because in two/three years time the 150+ gamers will not be there. Too late to give the kids a go then.

Ghost Dog
02-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Face it, we're rebuilding and our window of the last three years appears shut. I'm happy to be playing the kids, it's the only way they'll get better at this level because in two/three years time the 150+ gamers will not be there. Too late to give the kids a go then.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Even with one player not firing, it can really cause a blow out. It's like a tug of war. when one person craps out, you need someone else to work twice as hard to take their place. But you can't do that for 4quarters or on a paddock where one player who goes missing leaves a huge hole.

Not having a pot at you, and I've thought about it myself...but
Are we that much worse than Carlton? Their season is still alive.
Are we much worse than Hawthorn? Were a few points behind Freo and nobody seems to think they're rebuilding.

I do feel a bit cranky about last night, but still believe we can win more than we lose.

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 08:07 PM
It was interesting how the last quarter panned out, we Sub Roughead for Moles and Minson has to shoulder the ruck himself, now Minson is being dragged from pillar to post and his tank is running empty, we can't park his ample backside in the goal square to give us a target as Roughead is off, now our forward line is empty , our forwards are up the ground , Murphy and Lake are thrown forward , now our backline is exposed , Brown goes forward bangs four home, the Collingwood smalls are now given too much space as our backline is tired, they bang some more home , we get punched by 48

Now, is we Sub Hill for Moles, Roughead and Jones ( 197cm ) take the ruck , Minson parks his ample backside in the goal square , Sherman and Grant stay in the 50, Lake and Murphy stay in the backline , now the hypothetical final score is ?????????

westdog54
02-05-2011, 08:33 PM
It was interesting how the last quarter panned out, we Sub Roughead for Moles and Minson has to shoulder the ruck himself, now Minson is being dragged from pillar to post and his tank is running empty, we can't park his ample backside in the goal square to give us a target as Roughead is off, now our forward line is empty , our forwards are up the ground , Murphy and Lake are thrown forward , now our backline is exposed , Brown goes forward bangs four home, the Collingwood smalls are now given too much space as our backline is tired, they bang some more home , we get punched by 48

Now, is we Sub Hill for Moles, Roughead and Jones ( 197cm ) take the ruck , Minson parks his ample backside in the goal square , Sherman and Grant stay in the 50, Lake and Murphy stay in the backline , now the hypothetical final score is ?????????

Roughead was knackered and would not have run out the game. He would have been a massive liability in the ruck.

Before I Die
02-05-2011, 08:42 PM

Now, is we Sub Hill for Moles, Roughead and Jones ( 197cm ) take the ruck , Minson parks his ample backside in the goal square , Sherman and Grant stay in the 50, Lake and Murphy stay in the backline , now the hypothetical final score is ?????????.

But Roughead can hardly run due to a badly corked thigh and we effectively play one short, now the hypothetical scoreline blows out to ?????

Oops, too slow with my post.

AndrewP6
02-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Roughead was knackered and would not have run out the game. He would have been a massive liability in the ruck.

Too true, he could barely run to the bench.

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 09:31 PM
But Roughead can hardly run due to a badly corked thigh and we effectively play one short, now the hypothetical scoreline blows out to ?????

Oops, too slow with my post.

I missed that point, hang on a minute , I,ll go back to the drawing board , drawing board still blank, no still blank , it does,nt matter which way I switch it around , well, it might have made a difference if Sherman and Grant stayed in the forward 50, Jones helps Minson in the ruck , no , I,ll cop the 48 point loss and move on to next week

Bumper Bulldogs
02-05-2011, 09:53 PM

Sorry but other teams travel every second week. While we keep making this excuse we will never improve.

We just need to grow a set.

Ghost Dog
02-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Sorry but other teams travel every second week. While we keep making this excuse we will never improve.

We just need to grow a set.

Sorry but I'm really a bit over that call. We've played quite a bit of dumb 'hard'footy.
What we really needed was to slow it down a bit at certain stages and be a bit efficient.

Instead, we have Boyd, bombing it without even looking into their hands. Now I cannot ever question his cahoonas. but it just happenes all ....the.....time.
Others have cited the diving on the ground, not keeping the feet. Sometimes there is no other option but we do play a lot of 'knee ball' The slow motion footage of Krakouer dancing around our guys as they fell over was like something out of a bad dream...

Bumper Bulldogs
02-05-2011, 10:09 PM

Not sure on this, I still think we have a good group of players and we will get better as the season goes on. I think from memory we had 13 under the knife at the end of last year and having the bye so early is not ideal.

We have some quality to come back in and with Lake, Cooney, Gilbee and Higgo all needing games under their belt we should improve week on week.

We will win enough games to make the final 8 and if we peak with no injury's sides will want to miss us in the finals draw.