PDA

View Full Version : Round #6 - Slaps and Sledges

GVGjr
01-05-2011, 04:56 PM
For those who aren't familiar with the Slaps and Sledges thread:

A slap on the back for a job well done by 2 players. (not to be confused with the Woof Player Awards (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9023))
This can be a passage of play or a spirited effort.

A sledge to two players that let down the team. Try and make this constructive critique and not just overly critical.

Provide us with your thoughts on this evenings game against Collingwood.

Rance Fan
01-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Slap
Murphy = Quality - need more players with his polish
Jones = Gave us a lil something

Sledge
Roughead/Wallis = Not up to it just yet
Hill/Grant = No presence and no core strength

Ghost Dog
01-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Slap
Murphy = Quality - need more players with his polish
Jones = Gave us a lil something

Sledge
Roughead/Wallis = Not up to it just yet
Hill/Grant = No presence and no core strength

Slap - Sherman. a little beauty
Marcovic - great first three quarters
Oh, almost forgot. Great game Will Minson *applause* some great taps and little things around the ground.

Sledge -- General sledge. Hands in the back will give the opposition a free. Every time.
Josh Hill - Stand on the mark and jump in the air, even if you know 99% chance you can't get it. Looked dispirited and lacked the 4 quarter effort expected.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Slap - Picken- he is one bloke who you can pencil in every week as giving you the required 4 quarters of intensity and effort.

Slap Eade & Coaching staff. I was concerned we were allowing Collingwood to maintain the tactical asendency, but they made some great moves in the third quarter.

Sledge- Josh Hill, he is the exact opposite, you just don't know if he is going to give you the necessary commitment and execution

Sledge - Liam Jones kicking for goals, you can mark the ball as much as you want, but if you're technique for goal kicking is poor and you can't convert it does not help the team win games.

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Slap:
Sherman, loving this guy at our club.
Murphy, a superb season so far.
Markovic, could be a great find for us this season.
Jones, looked better tonight since going back to Willy.

Sledge:
Hill, agree with everything Ghost Dog said.
Roughead, might be time to head back to Willy.
Cooney, another game of no impact.

choconmientay
01-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Slap:
Minson. I thought he is playing really really well today. He is doing the most out of his chance and should be retained in the team for the next few matches
Sherman, Morris, Murphy, Picken and Markovic: Very solid game.

Sledge:
Roughy. He looked slow and lost almost every ruck contest.
Coony: Doing too little with his talent. If he could stand-up like Judd in this game ....

aker39
01-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Slap - Minson
Tried hard all night and thought he did very well.

Sledge - Addison
Was tired 15 minutes in to the game and looked way underdone.

Greystache
01-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Slaps

Sherman- Adds some spark
Jones- showed some of the marking skills he shown at VFL level before.

Sledge

2.5 quarter effort- Not mentally strong enough to handle the pressure and play for 4 quarters.
Hill- a couple of Collingwood supporters around me said "I've never seen a less interested player in an AFL game before". I have to agree.

Ghost Dog
01-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Slap - Picken- he is one bloke who you can pencil in every week as giving you the required 4 quarters of intensity and effort.

Slap Eade & Coaching staff. I was concerned we were allowing Collingwood to maintain the tactical asendency, but they made some great moves in the third quarter.

Sledge- Josh Hill, he is the exact opposite, you just don't know if he is going to give you the necessary commitment and execution

Sledge - Liam Jones kicking for goals, you can mark the ball as much as you want, but if you're technique for goal kicking is poor and you can't convert it does not help the team win games.

How about the captain? Not much mention of him yet. Hate to focus on negative things only and he did some good stuff but put it down the throat of the pies more than once. They just sat under it and drilled it back in.......

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Slap for Jones being able to mark to the ball in the wet

Sledge for Jones for missing very important goals from the same spot

AndrewP6
01-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Slaps
* Shermanator. Head over the ball, great attack, and slots opportunities when they come up. When Baz hangs up the boots, Sherm might be my new favourite.
*Willlbur - some good taps, and dominated the ruck early.
Honourable mention to Markovic who was solid again.

Sledges
*Coons - hurts to say it, but just not doing enough for a guy of his ability.
*Hill - can't comment without swearing ;)

Hotdog60
01-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Slap for Murphy, I'm not a betting man but if he keeps going at the same level all season he could be good odds for a Brownlow.

Sledge for Jones, played a very good game and I wonder if the game would have finished different if he had nailed those goals. Momentum is a very big thing.

w3design
01-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Slaps: Murphy is really having a great year

Slap: Sherman fits in so well.

Slap: we didn't sustain it for 4 quarters, but for large chunks of the game our in close contested work was really desperate and showed an intensity that gave me a lot of heart

Sledge: allowing a blowout

Sledge: frees to Brown. And the one against Will when O 'Brien was all over him? I was at the game so maybe it looked different on tv, but that decision seemed one of the worst I have ever seen.

Sledge: poor decision making from Addison and Williams

Sledge: the pies supporter to his liitleboy walking out of the ground. "daddy what does the doggies song sound like?" daddy: "I don't know, we don't hear it very often do we."

Sledge: realizing again, that brave efforts come to nought, and this season is fast disappearing...

The Bulldogs Bite
01-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Slap:

* Sherman: Love the way he's playing. He's fierce, he runs hard, he finishes. For a bloke who had so many 'flaws', he sure can play some tough, skillful footy.

* Minson: His ruck work got us back into the game. He competed really well. Against crap opposition, but I think Minson is a better option than Hudson.

Sledge:

* Cooney: Another horrible game. What happened to the skill he used to have? He's a shadow of his former self. Realistically, he should be dropped.

* Roughead: He's been pathetic for two weeks straight. He can't seem to do anything right.

* Disposal: It's just dreadful right across the board.

Sedat
01-05-2011, 11:15 PM
And the one against Will when O 'Brien was all over him? I was at the game so maybe it looked different on tv, but that decision seemed one of the worst I have ever seen.
To be fair to the umpires, Harry O needs all the help he can get when it comes to being parked under a high ball.

AndrewP6
01-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Sledge: the pies supporter to his liitleboy walking out of the ground. "daddy what does the doggies song sound like?" daddy: "I don't know, we don't hear it very often do we."

Ditto, to the 'man' who turned around to me when the lead got out to 48, and said "You're shit with Hall, you're shit without him"...

Did nothing to dispel the legend of the toothless morons.

SonofScray
01-05-2011, 11:27 PM
SLAPS

Picken - continually delivers. Is playing at a more elite level than our superstars (if they even deserve the title anymore)

Minson - showed true character in recent weeks as he banged on the door, proved his worth and provided some real class believe it or not with his tap work.

Sherman - getting it done when it counts. Exactly what we wanted from him I reckon.

SLEDGES

Grant - disinterested, terrible work rate and really poor output for a few weeks now.

Cooney - obviously underdone but just not giving us enough

Roughhead - was lucky to be in the side, backed up a shocker with a shocker.

ratsmac
01-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Slap:

Will Minson. Hallelujah a ruckman that can tap it to us. He is a better ruckman than Hudson, but Huddo has better second efforts.

Justin Sherman: Is in B&F form at this rate. Great game.

Liam Picken: Just a star.

Bob Murphy: Pure silk

Sledge:

Adam Cooney: Where has Adam Cooney gone?

Josh Hill: Your job is to play football mate, so earn your money. This is why you could get a game last year.

Jordan Roughead: Just needs a spell in the twos to regain confidence. Could be time to see what Ayce has got.

Sledge: Whole team for allowing a blow out. Their effort deserved better.

Sedat
01-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Slap:

Liam Picken: Just a star.

Sledge:

Whole team for allowing a blow out. Their effort deserved better.
I love the way Picken goes about it but I think there's a little too much man-love for him tonight - Daisy Thomas was a very creative factor for the Pies as the match wore on and got the better of Picken

Also the 'team effort' line is overly positive IMO considering we failed to score a goal for over 2 qtrs and also conceded 70 inside 50's to 40. That's a massive discrepancy that paints our midfield in a poor light.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-05-2011, 11:50 PM
I love the way Picken goes about it but I think there's a little too much man-love for him tonight - Daisy Thomas was a very creative factor for the Pies as the match wore on and got the better of Picken

Also the 'team effort' line is overly positive IMO considering we failed to score a goal for over 2 qtrs and also conceded 70 inside 50's to 40. That's a massive discrepancy that paints our midfield in a poor light.

This.

If Collingwood kicked straight, we wouldn't of been in the game at 3QT. We were crap all night, aside from five minutes at the end of the third quarter and the very beginning of the last quarter.

Our midfield is overrated, and if I had a dollar for every time Cross went to ground, I'd put Eddie's bank account to shame.

AndrewP6
01-05-2011, 11:57 PM
I love the way Picken goes about it but I think there's a little too much man-love for him tonight .

Agreed.

always right
02-05-2011, 12:05 AM
Agreed.

Pretty simple why gets a lot of man love here. You know what you're going to get every time he runs out on the ground. His bone jarring tackle on Swan tonight said it all....he leaves nothing behind and is totally committed to the cause.

Thomas had an impact on the game but with amount of ball the pies were getting, he did as much as you could expect anyone to do. Love his honesty and I think his ability is under rated.

AndrewP6
02-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Pretty simple why gets a lot of man love here. You know what you're going to get every time he runs out on the ground. His bin jarring tackle on Swan tonight said it all....he leaves nothing behind and is totally committed to the cause.

Thomas had an impact on the game but with amount of ball the pies were getting, he did as much as you could expect anyone to do. Love his honesty and I think his ability is under rated.

I agree with your points, except for the 'ability' one. I think he's a tough nut, who makes the most of his ability, but that's it. Makes up for a lack of skill with hard work, commitment and effort.

BulldogBelle
02-05-2011, 12:19 AM
Slaps for two guys who put in their best efforts to date
Jones for a promising effort apart from kicking and the play - on stuff up
Markovic apart from the last quarter

Make it 3 for the Sherminator

Willie for a great - well very good - comeback

Murf for fine display of determination and skill

G-Mo77
02-05-2011, 12:26 AM
Slap
Most of the back half. Collingwood had it in there a lot and they fought their guts out for most of the game and kept us in it. It could have easily been over at half time.

Slap
Jones. I thought he was really good today at Full Forward. If things start going pear shaped quickly some hard decisions need to be made at this position. 2 misses from teh same spot may deserve a sledge.

Slap
Griff again on the big stage.

Slap
Minson. Weaker opponent but looked a lot better than Hudson has so far.

Sledge
Cooney. Weak!!

Sledge
Josh Hill. Bad habits die hard. I knew he was done for the day when he turtled up with a bustling Dick behind him ready to spoil.

Sledge
Grant, honestly could be time for a spell. Hasn't been that good at all so far.

MrMahatma
02-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Slap:

Jones: Needs to work on his kicking but he was a real bonus for us today. A marking, big kid.
Shermo: He has really added a lot to the team. Very pleasing.

Sledge:
Hill: Has to be dropped for that performance. One of the worst I've seen in a long, long time.
Kicking for goal: Griff, Roughead, Jones, Boyd... sure the Pies missed a few, we missed some sitters also.

Remi Moses
02-05-2011, 12:59 AM
Slap - Minson had a very good game
Slap - Murphy one of the few to make the right decisions.
Slap- Jones He showed a bit tonight

Sledge- Kicking into the forward half,it was Atrocious. Crying out loud that's how Messers O'Brien , Maxwell and Shaw frigging love (the no look bomb):mad::rolleyes:
Sledge Cooney, is he the only player who responds to a media bake by playing worse than last week.

Sledge- Collingwood bloke I work with, first time I see him tonight he brings up the umpires !
Yes I know if you had a better run you would have won by 200 PTS

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 04:31 AM
Slap; Murphy, pure class
Slap; Big Will, good rucking and intensity

Sledge; HILL, should have a Seagulls jumper tattooed on his body, never to wear a dog's jumper again, he is just keeping another young kid from developing, struts around like a superstar and does nought. Go away.

Sledge; Our midfield; they seem to play the game on their hands and knees, is it called knee ball?, do we get extra points for constant turnovers? Is it against the law for our midfielders to run into space in our open forward line to present a target, when there is no one there to kick it too?

Apart from that we were great!!!!!

Remi Moses
02-05-2011, 04:41 AM
Forgot Hill but I suppose his a gold medalist in the sledge stakes.
That lack of effort on the mark sums him up,the one hand attempts and the lack of intensity.
:mad:

Ghost Dog
02-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Slap:

Jones: Needs to work on his kicking but he was a real bonus for us today. A marking, big kid.
Shermo: He has really added a lot to the team. Very pleasing.

Sledge:
Hill: Has to be dropped for that performance. One of the worst I've seen in a long, long time.
Kicking for goal: Griff, Roughead, Jones, Boyd... sure the Pies missed a few, we missed some sitters also.

Who else would you drop

Hotdog60
02-05-2011, 08:41 AM
I knew he was done for the day when he turtled up with a bustling Dick behind him ready to spoil.

Thanks For making me laugh, sorry it's my English sense of humor.:D

G-Mo77
02-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks For making me laugh, sorry it's my English sense of humor.:D

It's just to easy. You can throw his name into a lot of things and it sounds funny.

ReLoad
02-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Slaps for:
Jones: was involved in all 3 goals in the first before the ball wasn't seen in our forward line for 2 quarters
Minson: Had to dominate the ruck, which he did, and was tireless around the ground.
lil' Picken: Excellent stopping job and as always super committed to a team game. (and the goal, what a cracker!)

Sledge for:
Grant - AWOL, id suggest only in the team because Hall isn't fit, 2 weeks in a row now where he is totally non competitive.
A half a dozen blokes for unbelievably poor disposal across the entire game, and its not fair to single any one out, but Hill and Addison, you make baby harp seals cry when you kick it.

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 09:46 AM
No Stack or Gia so has Hill taken over? I admit I didn't see any of the game yesterday and he might have been poor but I know he was one of our better players over the first 3 games. To say things 'permanent Williamstown player' seems a bit over the top.

Also Addison was spruked as our saviour by many here pre season and prior this game, what happened?

Ozza
02-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Slap - Minson for taking his opportunity - and dominating a lesser opponent.
Sherman for his spark, excitement, hardness and pace.
Wallis for a very good first full game. The kid has more smarts about what to do and when - than many others out there - and he's tough.

Sledge - Hill, cannot be played next week on the back of what he dished up yesterday.
Roughead was terrible again.
Jones' kicking in general, he doesn't even appear to hit the ball flush. He really let himself down after doing well to get his hands on it.

SlimPickens
02-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Slap- Jones, really positive game for him. Took some good marks in difficult conditions, now needs to work on converting.

Slap- Picken, a collingwood bloke in front of me said "geez, that Picken hits em hard".

Slap- Sherman, Gilbee and Murph- gave us a real spark in the 3rd qtr.

Sledge- Players going to ground when not necessary. If you go to ground in a 50-50 situation you're dead.

Sledge- The poor disposal by Boyd, Cross, Wallis, Addison, Libba and many others.

Sledge- I am sick and tired of hearing about the belief (In the media) this group has and once again folding on the big stage.

SlimPickens
02-05-2011, 09:59 AM
No Stack or Gia so has Hill taken over? I admit I didn't see any of the game yesterday and he might have been poor but I know he was one of our better players over the first 3 games. To say things 'permanent Williamstown player' seems a bit over the top.

If you saw the game, I'd hope you would see it different. Hill was insipid last night to the point of looking disinterested. I've got no problem with you supporting the players, but if a player gets a game the next week after such an poor performance then we have some serious problems with our match committee.

Mantis
02-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Sledge- Players going to ground when not necessary. If you go to ground in a 50-50 situation you're dead.

Messers Lake & Cross need to have a read of this point.

Ozza
02-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Slap- Jones, really positive game for him. Took some good marks in difficult conditions, now needs to work on converting.

Slap- Picken, a collingwood bloke in front of me said "geez, that Picken hits em hard".

Slap- Sherman, Gilbee and Murph- gave us a real spark in the 3rd qtr.

Sledge- The poor disposal by Boyd, Cross, Wallis, Addison, Libba and many others.

Sledge- I am sick and tired of hearing about the belief (In the media) this group has and once again folding on the big stage.

Geez that was frustrating. For all of the love for Ward and Addison for being 'tough guys' and 'hard at it' - thats well and good - but is there any danger either of them could not go to ground and slide at every ground ball - and maybe pick up the ball cleanly at any stage.

Ozza
02-05-2011, 10:06 AM

Lake's slide at the footy in front of Brown in the last quarter was absolutely ridiculous and cost us a goal when the game was still very much up for grabs. Terrible.

Mantis
02-05-2011, 10:07 AM

He played like he didn't care which is embarrassing on his behalf.

Also Addison was spruked as our saviour by many here pre season and prior this game, what happened?

I didn't even know he was playing until I saw him very late in the piece.

I can't see him as a part of the solution.

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 10:08 AM
If you saw the game, I'd hope you would see it different. Hill was insipid last night to the point of looking disinterested. I've got no problem with you supporting the players, but if a player gets a game the next week after such an poor performance then we have some serious problems with our match committee.
Why single out Hill then? I think Grant has been consistently worse this year. Roughead, Cooney, etc. We'd have no one left if the MC followed that rule.

SlimPickens
02-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Why single out Hill then? I think Grant has been consistently worse this year. Roughead, Cooney, etc. We'd have no one left if the MC followed that rule.

Watch the game Chops.

chef
02-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Watch the game Chops.

We all did, it's just that Hill wasn't Robinson Carusoe in having a poor performance so he doesn't need to be singled out.

always right
02-05-2011, 10:18 AM

I can make an excuse for Cross as he has done it all of his career due to lack of pace. Lake on the other hand has no such excuse. Leading his player to the ball in the last quarter and decides to slide into the ball instead of remaining on his feet. He and Cooney are the most frustrating at the moment. At some stage the interrupted pre season has to stop being an excuse.

Greystache
02-05-2011, 10:20 AM
We all did, it's just that Hill wasn't Robinson Carusoe in having a poor performance so he doesn't need to be singled out.

Obviously you didn't watch it live. There's a difference between having a poor game and not having a go.

Mantis
02-05-2011, 10:21 AM
I can make an excuse for Cross as he has done it all of his career due to lack of pace. Lake on the other hand has no such excuse. Leading his player to the ball in the last quarter and decides to slide into the ball instead of remaining on his feet. He and Cooney are the most frustrating at the moment. At some stage the interrupted pre season has to stop being an excuse.

Here here.

SlimPickens
02-05-2011, 10:25 AM

There were plenty of blokes who had poor performances. Hill to me was different he wasn't just poor, he was not interested, his performance was unacceptable.

And when you say we all did, Chops said himself he didn't watch the game hence my comments. I find it hard to back a blind comment, when the person making that comment hasn't seen any part of the game.

I'm not the only one on here disappointed with Hill's performance.

always right
02-05-2011, 10:29 AM
That pass to Gilbee in the last quarter reminded me of Cooney's elite disposal skills. It also highlighted how little we've seen of this so far this season. Is he carrying an injury or is that a cop out.

always right
02-05-2011, 10:36 AM
There were plenty of blokes who had poor performances. Hill to me was different he wasn't just poor, he was not interested, his performance was unacceptable.

And when you say we all did, Chops said himself he didn't watch the game hence my comments. I find it hard to back a blind comment, when the person making that comment hasn't seen any part of the game.

He's shown some really good signs this year and I thought he was competitive early last night. The way he fell away as the game progressed was a real concern. It's as if his confidence is so fragile that it can disappear with one poor effort. The gift goal from a fumble in the last quarter was embarrassing.

chef
02-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Slaps
- meeting Stack and Skinner at the game, what a couple of nice guys:)

Sledge
- players stopping when they think the ball is going out only for it not too, then there opponent grabs it and runs way. This has happened about a dozen time in the last two weeks.
-Not playing a forward press, we really need to move with the times.

Mantis
02-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Not playing a forward press, we really need to move with the times.

Can you explain to me what a 'forward press' actually is?

chef
02-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Can you explain to me what a 'forward press' actually is?

Why, do you not know what it is?

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 11:03 AM

I didn't watch the game and I don't beleive he shouldn't be dropped. Its pretty obvious he is being singled out here though when you see comments like I already mentioned. We have many players that have been bad this season and he was at least good the first few weeks, you can't say that for others here not mentioned as much.

Mantis
02-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Why, do you not know what it is?

I thought that would have been obvious by the question I asked of you.

chef
02-05-2011, 11:17 AM
I thought that would have been obvious by the question I asked of you.

Fair enough, maybe a half ground press would be a better name for it.

ATM we play more of a midfield press when the opposition are kicking in and Collingwood would simply chip it short and draw a man to that spot then kick over his head to that mans opponent. Then the next player in line would run to that contest and have it kicked over his head and they would take it along the boundary line as easy as you like. If you know what I mean, my explanation probably isn't the best.

We need to bring this press closer to the opposition goals IMO as Essendon, Collingwood, Freo etc do and make it a lot harder for them to bring the ball out of defence. But hey this only the opinion of a Pastry Chef.

wimberga
02-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Chef, I can understand your point through reading this thread regarding the posts about hill. And to be honest, it probably is a little unfair for just 1 player to be singled out...

However, I was at the game and was completely embarrassed that he was out there. That more and more people are commenting on it just emphasises how poor he was. It wasn't just that he performed poorly, it really was that when the game was really close and we still had a chance, to have a player so noticeably disinterested in the game and providing such poor efforts was really disheartening.

Will he be dropped? i dont know, but one thing is for sure...If I was a western bulldogs player last night, I would be absolutely filthy on Josh Hill.

Topdog
02-05-2011, 12:20 PM
With Hill should he just be dropped / not selected when the weather is bad? He always seems to put in a 10% effort in bad weather.

Sledge to Jones - Missing the first is fair enough but to miss the 2nd, 30 seconds later from the same spot, to the same side of the goals is inexcusable.

I think it was Mantis who said our players at practice took 10 minutes before realising they had to adjust for wind. Seems Jones would have been one of them.

chef
02-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Chef, I can understand your point through reading this thread regarding the posts about hill. And to be honest, it probably is a little unfair for just 1 player to be singled out...

However, I was at the game and was completely embarrassed that he was out there. That more and more people are commenting on it just emphasises how poor he was. It wasn't just that he performed poorly, it really was that when the game was really close and we still had a chance, to have a player so noticeably disinterested in the game and providing such poor efforts was really disheartening.

Will he be dropped? i dont know, but one thing is for sure...If I was a western bulldogs player last night, I would be absolutely filthy on Josh Hill.

I just don't see why he needs to be singled out. Cooney for one looks just as disinterested as him at times.

bornadog
02-05-2011, 12:37 PM
With Hill should he just be dropped / not selected when the weather is bad? He always seems to put in a 10% effort in bad weather.

Sledge to Jones - Missing the first is fair enough but to miss the 2nd, 30 seconds later from the same spot, to the same side of the goals is inexcusable.

I think it was Mantis who said our players at practice took 10 minutes before realising they had to adjust for wind. Seems Jones would have been one of them.

What about when he also ,marked on the 50m line, swung aroung in a big ark to get some power into the kick, only kick it along the ground.

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Mark Robinson gave Hill a slap in "The Tackle" article he write.

8. Josh Hill's response

Was critical of is effort against the Dockers, but Hill last night was much improved in the back half. Not in order or importance, he poleaxed Scott Pendlebury in a tackle, backed back into a pack chasing a high ball and and put himself between ball and opponent to make the tap which led to Lindsay Gilbee's goal near three-quarter time. He made a few errors, but his one per cent count was way up.

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Slap - Markovic. That spoil on Dawes in the opening minutes of the game typifies his game.

Slap - Sherman. Our only player that runs hard both ways. Kicking the goals that Cooney, Griff, Boyd and Cross shoudl be, but ain't.

Sledge - Midfield. No point having 3 guys go for the same ball, only to have no options once it's won. Really unintelligent stuff.

Sledge - Our skills. It was only 3 years ago when we were the most skillful side in the comp, now we butcher way too many disposals. What's happened???

Desipura
02-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Cross does not have pace so he has to dive on the ball otherwise he has no hope of getting it in a 50/50 contest.

Maddog37
02-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Cross does not have pace so he has to dive on the ball otherwise he has no hope of getting it in a 50/50 contest.

If that is the case then he is a liability. Once you lose your feet you are out of the contest.

Slaps. Marko and Jones. AFL level players with plenty of up side.

Murphy. Great effort over 4 qtrs./

Sledges. players falling over in the contest.

Hill for dropping his head in marking contests as a result of hearing footsteps. Demorilises the whole team and makes the opposition walk taller.

Ghost Dog
02-05-2011, 03:42 PM
He played like he didn't care which is embarrassing on his behalf.

I didn't even know he was playing until I saw him very late in the piece.

I can't see him as a part of the solution.

Clearly an issue there. Perhaps personal or I already mentioned, perhaps he felt hard on himself owing to the article in the HUN.
His body language, slumped shoulders, flopping his arms around kind of overshadowed the fact that he did indeed do a few good things and was probably just as average asone or two of our top shelf players. He invites the criticism through his body language / being slightly laconic and a few minor things are not the worst offences in the world, but more importantly indicate a lack of resolve that opponents will exploit.

wimberga
02-05-2011, 05:57 PM
I just don't see why he needs to be singled out. Cooney for one looks just as disinterested as him at times.

Well I was just making reference to what I saw and obviously, what others saw. Maybe people didnt comment on cooney because he has credits in the bank, maybe they saw the game from a different angle, maybe some people just dont like hill's style. There is an endless list of why people mentioned hill and not others.

From where i sat, he looked the most disinterested player on the ground and that is something that should not happen at AFL level. In specific reference to Cooney, I wouldn't feel the same need to single him out as I did hill because I have a belief he is carrying an injury, and again, where i was sitting and what i saw of his game, i thought he was OK.

I would be the first to excuse Hill if there was a realistic reason for his poor performance.

Back on topic

Slap - Murphy, having a great season so far and is really a cool head with the ball. Agree with others that his great skills could be of benefit on the receiving end of kick ins as im not sure he is one we really need kicking in if we are just going the long bomb

Slap and sledge: Jones, impressed and showed a lot of ability and there was one passage where he ran about 60m and pressured about 4 opponents in the process. no turnover was caused but really showed a willingness from a big man. Still needs work but saw something i really liked

Apologies to will and sherman

Sledge - Hills game - enoughs been said already
Sledge - Umpire. Must admit i thought for the most part the game was well umpired in the conditions, however what the hell was that decision against will when obrien jumped up his back with no chance of getting the ball? really strange decision

bresker
02-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Darcy on 'One week at a time' just gave Josh Hill a slap. Collingwood player set shot for goal, and Hill's standing on the mark. Or rather, strolling off the mark with one hand waving pathetically in the air.

Oh dear.

AndrewP6
02-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Darcy on 'One week at a time' just gave Josh Hill a slap. Collingwood player set shot for goal, and Hill's standing on the mark. Or rather, strolling off the mark with one hand waving pathetically in the air.

Oh dear.

Slap or sledge?

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Obviously you didn't watch it live. There's a difference between having a poor game and not having a go.

I think people criticising Grant this week must have been watching the game on the television.

After he received such criticism last week, I took my eyes of the ball last night to watch how he was approaching the game.

His work ethic was very good. There's massive room for improvement, but he definitely wasn't one of our worst. There is a big difference between looking disinterested and having your hands on your hips while you suck in air because you've just busted your gut on an unrewarded eighty metre sprint. His games against Essendon, Gold Coast and Brisbane were also team orientated. I think he's earning his place so far.

SLAPS:

We're playing our youth

Wallis, Jones, Grant, Ward, Markovic, Roughead and Liberatore. Ross Lyon would kill to have talent like that on his list. Games into them now will reap rewards at a time when Griffen and Cooney are still at their best. We've got a lot to look forward to.

SLEDGE

Reality

So often it's reality that ruins our fun. Truth is, at this point in time Collingwood are easily four or five goals better than us. Take out Hall, Hudson, Higgins, Hargrave, Wood and Giansiracusa and the gap between the two teams is twice that at least. Two of our best three players have returned to the game significantly underdone. That hurts as well.

Yeah, the talent we still had on the park should have used the ball better, but ultimately we finished about where I expected us too. That's not to say that I'm writing us off. It'll be quite novel for the Bulldogs to peak in September instead of August or July.

bresker
02-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Slap or sledge?

Sorry, sledge.

Though he deserves a slapped cheek & a spell on the naughty step

ratsmac
03-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Hill deserves another go. He has been good this year. He was terrible against the pies but he was not alone. It wasn't Hill's fault that the best team in the competition kicked eight goals in the last quarter. It was a team effort that caused that.