PDA

View Full Version : Round #7 Match Committee

GVGjr
01-05-2011, 05:01 PM
If you were on the Match Committee who would the likely ins and outs for the round 7 home game at Manuka Oval against the very honest Sydney Swans?

This is another critical game for us.

GVGjr
01-05-2011, 08:31 PM
So who gets a rest?

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Roughead, Hill & Grant.

I know it seems as though i am signalling the younger guys out, but i think they need a spell at Williamstown.

GVGjr
01-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Roughead, Hill & Grant.

I know it seems as though i am signalling the younger guys out, but i think they need a spell at Williamstown.

Who are you bringing into the side? Hudson and who else?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Roughead and Hill definitely out for mine.

and Hudson and Stack in (unless he's had a shocker today for Willy)

If Higgins is somehow available, then I'd let Wallis go back down to Willy. I just don't think we can have two kids in Wallis and Libba in our 22 at this point in time.

The Pie Man
01-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Roughead looks an obvious call for Hudson, Gia would be a likely in though not sure who for...Moles or Addison I'm guessing.

Libba was ok, but does he need a rest?

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Who are you bringing into the side? Hudson and who else?

Hudson, Higgins & Gia/Stack.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Roughead looks an obvious call for Hudson, Gia would be a likely in though not sure who for...Moles or Addison I'm guessing.

Libba was ok, but does he need a rest?

D'oh I completely forgot about Gia. If available he's a definite.
So I'd refine my ins and outs to be

Out: Roughy, Hill and and Addison
In: Hudson, Stack and Gia.

**If Higgins is somehow available then Wallis goes out.

choconmientay
01-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Libba needs a rest. And we are playing Sydney, I would think Libba will struggle against all the big bodies.
Out: Roughy, Libba and Addison
In: Hudson, Higgins, Gia/Moles

Grant should be dropped as well but not sure if we can afford to drop him at the moment?!

Rance Fan
01-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Out
Roughead, Grant, Hill, Wallis

In

Hudson, Gia, Higgins, ..Skinner!!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Out
Roughead, Grant, Hill, Wallis

In

Hudson, Gia, Higgins, ..Skinner!!

I'm not sure that on the back of one good performance amongst 2 ordinary ones Skinner should be promoted. Let's see him do it more consistently.

Mantis
01-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Hudson & Minson in the same team isn't going to work... Will showed today, admitedly against poor opposition, that he is a ruckman.

If Hudson plays Wilbur will only ruck for 25% of the game (which isn't enough) and isn't suited to the role Roughy is currently playing.

Rance Fan
01-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Hudson & Minson in the same team isn't going to work... Will showed today, admitedly against poor opposition, that he is a ruckman.

If Hudson plays Wilbur will only ruck for 25% of the game (which isn't enough) and isn't suited to the role Roughy is currently playing.

I think he could do as good a job or better as Roughy up forward. Roughy didnt give us much today!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 09:30 PM

Well then the coaching panel have a dilemma, because at the moment I'm not convinced that Roughy can play the role that he is playing at the moment. I think that Minson deserves another shot at being able to play the resting forward ruck role, until such time (and it may well be some time this season) that Roughy is able to bounce Hudson from the team.
Then Minson can move to first ruck and Roughy resting forward.

I think Will looks to be alot more mobile than he was 12 months ago, and could well make a better fist of things up forward this time around.

Mantis
01-05-2011, 09:32 PM
I think he could do as good a job or better as Roughy up forward. Roughy didnt give us much today!

Or:

I think Minson could do a better job than Hudson as our no.1 ruck. Hudson hasn't given us much this year.

Rocco Jones
01-05-2011, 09:33 PM

I totally agree that Minson suits our 1st ruck role a lot more than our 2nd ruck but I really think Roughead isn't giving us much value at all.

The 2nd ruck role probably includes about a minimum of 75% TOG with 50% up forward and 25% in ruck as Mantis mentioned. I think Roughead is slightly ahead of Will as a forward but Will hammers him as a ruck atm. Overall I think Will offers us a bit more as a 2nd ruck. The thing is, I think Will is a better 1st ruck than Hudson at the moment, so we are losing out there as well.

Unfortunately our ruck division isn't worth the sum of it's parts.

w3design
01-05-2011, 09:35 PM
hudson higgins and gia back next week

The Pie Man
01-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Hudson went forward vs Gold Coast and snagged one - Will's been hit & miss forward, though his fitness looks the best it's been, perhaps he's worth another try in that role.

Dilemma

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Or:

I think Minson could do a better job than Hudson as our no.1 ruck. Hudson hasn't given us much this year.

I don't disagree that the time is approaching where Hudson is unable to hold down the job, but I think Roughy has to earn it, and I'm not sure he is doing enough right now to justify it.
I know the coaching panel are very much behind young Roughy, but I just don't think he is doing enough up forward at the moment to justify his position.
In particular he needs to work on his goalkicking. If he is unable to convert the chances he gets from him marks, then he cannot for mine hold his spot.

Jasper
01-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Or:

Or could Hudson do a better job than Roughy? At present I think Will should be playing the majority in the ruck. Hudson has been ordinary most of the year.

At a minimum I think the rucks should be rotated with Will getting a solid run for a few weeks.

So changes

In - Hudson
Out - Roughead

I actually think not too many other changes unless Higgins and Gia are cherry ripe, in which case they should come in possibly for Libba (for a spell) and also Williams (he's been struggling for fitness, and I don't think we need 3 key back sized backman up north against Sydney). Morris would play on Goodes if this occurred.

Jarrad Grant must improve and must be a bee's doodle from being dropped.

Mantis
01-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Or could Hudson do a better job than Roughy? At present I think Will should be playing the majority in the ruck. Hudson has been ordinary most of the year.

At a minimum I think the rucks should be rotated with Will getting a solid run for a few weeks.

So changes

In - Hudson
Out - Roughead

So you're happy for Hudson to play primarily as a forward?... No thanks.

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Ins: Hudson, Gia, Higgins.
Outs: Minson, Hill, Grant.

No need to take Jones out, played a great match.

Rocco Jones
01-05-2011, 09:49 PM

Agreed. If Hudson is in the team he has to play just about solely as a ruckman.

I can't believe I am saying this but I think Minson is a better 1st ruck than Hudson and a better 2nd ruck than Roughead. Minson is much more suited to the 1st ruck role but I also believe Hudson offers us more as a 1st ruck than Roughead offers us as a 2nd role (hope that's not too confusing).

Jasper
01-05-2011, 09:50 PM

Perhaps some lateral thinking before we write the concept off completely...

why not:

Minson rucks 66%
Hudson rucks 34%

Hudson subbed towards end of third qtr and runner comes on (like today).

Hudson appears to blow up pretty quick and only plays around 75% game time anyway. So would be suggesting Hudson plays much of the game in the ruck or on the bench as a sub or an I/C, with only limited time forward.

Rocco Jones
01-05-2011, 09:55 PM

why not:

Minson rucks 66%
Hudson rucks 34%

Hudson appears to blow up pretty quick and only plays around 75% game time anyway. So would be suggesting Hudson plays much of the game in the ruck or on the bench as a sub or an I/C, with only limited time forward.

Pretty tough ask for Minson to continually have to play a quarter + without any relief at the end of games. Hudson spending 40% TOG up forward is terrifying, it shouldn't happen fullstop but you can turn that fullstop into a few exclamation marks when you consider that Barry Hall also plays for us.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Agreed. If Hudson is in the team he has to play just about solely as a ruckman.

I can't believe I am saying this but I think Minson is a better 1st ruck than Hudson and a better 2nd ruck than Roughead. Minson is much more suited to the 1st ruck role but I also believe Hudson offers us more as a 1st ruck than Roughead offers us as a 2nd role (hope that's not too confusing).

I agree.
I definitely see the potential in Roughy, and there will come a time soon, providing Roughy can improve a couple of facets of his game, where Hudson is made redundant. But at the moment I think you've summed it up well there Rocco as to why Hudson should come in the side next week at the expense of Roughy.

My hope is that in the ensuing weeks, Roughy imposes himself on games with Willy, improves his work around the ground, and especially his goal kicking.

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Where is Vez at? Is he still injured?

Sedat
01-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Unfortunately our ruck division isn't worth the sum of it's parts.
For mine, it's Minson or Hudson for 1st ruck - Huddo has to bide his time after Minno's fantastic effort tonight.

For ruck relief, I think we should give this role to Hall upon his return from injury and leave Jones deep, with Hall playing deep when Jones is resting on the pine. Roughy needs a spell as we have been playing virtually a man short ther last couple of weeks.

GVGjr
01-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Where is Vez at? Is he still injured?

Yes, he didn't play for Williamstown today

Rocco Jones
01-05-2011, 10:33 PM
For mine, it's Minson or Hudson for 1st ruck - Huddo has to bide his time after Minno's fantastic effort tonight.

For ruck relief, I think we should give this role to Hall upon his return from injury and leave Jones deep, with Hall playing deep when Jones is resting on the pine. Roughy needs a spell as we have been playing virtually a man short ther last couple of weeks.

Yep, I would also like to see a part timer as our 2nd ruck. You're right about virtually playing a man short. The only game he really played well in was against GC, a side with a heap of state league quality players.

Not sure what Hall with his body but he is an option. Perhaps Markovic? Jones for a few spells?

Bulldog Joe
01-05-2011, 10:50 PM
As good as everyone believes Roughy will be, he is not there yet.

He seems to be about the slowest player on the list, but struggles to hold his feet. He looks good going for a mark, unless he is impeded and it seems that smaller players still have too much strength.

So he lacks the strength to hold his ground in a contest and he lacks the speed to be a lead up player.
Time for him to go back to Williamstown and develop without having to contend with gorillas.

Hudson will do better forward than Roughy has the last 2 weeks and Minson is way ahead of him. With Barry still missing go with Hudson and Minson and see how it works.

Hotdog60
01-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Grant could be very lucky that Patrick Veszpremi is injured.

westbulldog
01-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Roughhead was pathetic from what I saw - was he playing with an injury ? If he was then that is a ridiculous match selection 2 weeks in a row, Hall was clearly out of commission with injury against Fremantle.
I would also omit Williams and Hill.
Grant will need to perform in Round 7.
Ins - from Giansiracusa, Higgins, Schofield (must be doing ok as named as emergency for the Collingwood game?), Stack and Djerrkura.
Will Minson the solo ruck, he was excellent today.

We won't make the top 4 and quite possibly won't make the top 8 so what is there to lose ?

w3design
01-05-2011, 11:06 PM
Does anyone know what Higgins' injury is? 'general soreness' always makes me highly dubious. Will he really only miss a week?

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Does Hudo get back in to the team because of his leadership status? Frankly he doesn't deserve to be in over Minson given his performance today and i can't see him working as the #2 ruckman. I guess we could put Mino back to the #2 but he will clearly suffer for it.
I think this 'general soreness' could really lead to the end of Hudson

Jasper
01-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Pretty tough ask for Minson to continually have to play a quarter + without any relief at the end of games. Hudson spending 40% TOG up forward is terrifying, it shouldn't happen fullstop but you can turn that fullstop into a few exclamation marks when you consider that Barry Hall also plays for us.

If we are only talking about next week, Hall is not in the picture.

Also if Huddo subbed off at say 20min mark of 3rd quarter, then by my reckoning Huddo could do 40% rucking and 60% for Minson, and would have Huddo playing 6 minutes a quarter for 3 quarters fwd (and thats assuming 85% TOG for Huddo before he is subbed).

Obviously its a risk if we have to use the sub to cover another injury, but its worth considering.

And looking at Roughead's efforts today (and I am talking prior to his knock) I don't think we are losing much with Huddo fwd in any case.

Sedat
01-05-2011, 11:24 PM
If we are only talking about next week, Hall is not in the picture.
Ed Barlow might get a look-in this week to play against his old team. He played 2nd ruck for Willy today and was supposedly OK in the role.

Jasper
01-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Ed Barlow might get a look-in this week to play against his old team. He played 2nd ruck for Willy today and was supposedly OK in the role.

Isn't Barlow a like for like for Williams...?

azabob
01-05-2011, 11:33 PM

I said the same thing about Barlow last week, he would've matched up well aginst Brown in the ruck and perhaps he could provide some support in the midfield. But his disposal isn't great and as a team we are struggling to hit targets.

GVGjr
01-05-2011, 11:35 PM

The only problem is that if we want to play Hargrave at Williamstown we can't use a rookie listed player.

Ghost Dog
01-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Swans, have a few younger players they are giving a run, so would not mind at all if we blooded some as well - Schofield and Dahlhaus perhaps

bornadog
01-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Roughhead was pathetic from what I saw - was he playing with an injury ?

Copped a corky in the 2nd quarter

The Bulldogs Bite
01-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Four things IMO

1. Roughead is too slow - even for a ruckman.
2. Jones got it mostly right against good opponents and must be given more game time
3. Hill needs to be dropped and given time to prove himself.
4. Robert Murphy should go foward in games like that. foward 50 entries were bloody awful.

He hasn't had a great two weeks, but why would you drop Hill?

There's a dozen other players I'd drop before Hill, starting with Cooney.

It's easy to drop Hill, Stack etc.

How about dropping players that should be leading from the front, but are instead trailing from the back?

bornadog
01-05-2011, 11:50 PM
In Hudson, Gia, Higgins, Skinner

Out: Roughead, Gilbee and Hill, Grant

Gilbee has lost it in my opinion and Grant is out of touch.

AndrewP6
02-05-2011, 12:04 AM

How about dropping players that should be leading from the front, but are instead trailing from the back?

FWIW, I'd drop Hill too. Spoils some good work with lacklustre efforts too often.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-05-2011, 12:10 AM
FWIW, I'd drop Hill too. Spoils some good work with lacklustre efforts too often.

The point is, everybody is happy to drop Hill, but nobody dares to drop Cooney. He gets a free ride, and why? He's done absolutely nothing for quite a while, and has been extremely poor this year so far. His skill - or lack there of - is atrocious. He doesn't work hard enough. He's unaccountable.

I'm sick of us allowing the same players to make the same mistakes.

Cross included. When is he going to realise he CANNOT kick left foot?

AndrewP6
02-05-2011, 12:15 AM
The point is, everybody is happy to drop Hill, but nobody dares to drop Cooney. He gets a free ride, and why? He's done absolutely nothing for quite a while, and has been extremely poor this year so far. His skill - or lack there of - is atrocious. He doesn't work hard enough. He's unaccountable.

I'm sick of us allowing the same players to make the same mistakes.

Cross included. When is he going to realise he CANNOT kick left foot?

I'll back Coons to turn it around, I can't say the same about Hill. He's not had a great year thus far, but we've seen what he can deliver. I think we've got as good as we're going to get from Hill.

G-Mo77
02-05-2011, 12:19 AM
Roughhead was pathetic from what I saw - was he playing with an injury ?

Don't think so, I think it came down to conditions didn't suit him. He didn't really stamp his authority on his selection though. From reading the Willy report I guess BArlow could take his place (Not sure on Rookie List options though)

I think he'll stay in the team.

AndrewP6
02-05-2011, 12:29 AM
Don't think so, I think it came down to conditions didn't suit him. He didn't really stamp his authority on his selection though. From reading the Willy report I guess BArlow could take his place (Not sure on Rookie List options though)

I think he'll stay in the team.

Copped a corky in the 2nd quarter

Yes, he was injured. Subbed off in the third after battling with said corky.

G-Mo77
02-05-2011, 12:32 AM
Yes, he was injured. Subbed off in the third after battling with said corky.

Oh ok. Would explain why he ran like a turtle in the cold.

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Eade said Hudosn would probably return and Gia is a definite. Said Hall and Higgins another week.

Greystache
02-05-2011, 12:50 AM

I'm a big Hill fan and often I can't understand why he's the first to be omitted, especially for lack of defensive effort when the "leaders" are usually worse, but today his performance was beyond just putting in a bad one. He showed almost no interest in the game today, at the ground it was blatantly obvious when he wasn't in the play.

I'd drop him and demand he play a couple of consecutive starring roles at Willi before he's considered for selection again. And as I said, I'm a big fan of his.

G-Mo77
02-05-2011, 12:56 AM
Eade said Hudosn would probably return and Gia is a definite. Said Hall and Higgins another week.

Hudson in place of Roughead I would assume?

Hudson/Minson ruck combo is a fail. I hope I'm wrong but just can't see it working.

MrMahatma
02-05-2011, 12:57 AM
Out:
Hill, Grant

In:
Gia, Stack

Bulldog Joe
02-05-2011, 01:03 AM
Hudson in place of Roughead I would assume?

Hudson/Minson ruck combo is a fail. I hope I'm wrong but just can't see it working.

There seem to be plenty thinking like that, but they are our best ruckman.

Hudson just needs to spend some time forward and compete, something Roughy hasn't managed the last 2 weeks

G-Mo77
02-05-2011, 01:08 AM
There seem to be plenty thinking like that, but they are our best ruckman.

Hudson just needs to spend some time forward and compete, something Roughy hasn't managed the last 2 weeks

Roughead can kick though. I look away every time Huddo walks back for a kick even if it's to someone 20m in the clear. I guess it's something we're going to do by the sounds of it so I should reserve my judgement until it happens.

MrMahatma
02-05-2011, 03:57 AM
I'd like to stick with Roughy/Minson combo. I think it's more versatile, and all in all, better (so long as Minson's form holds).

Hudson is a ruckman, nothing more. An aging one at that. And one whose form hasn't been particularly great this year.

We'll need to transition eventually. May as well be when Minson is in career best form.

Ghost Dog
02-05-2011, 06:58 AM

I think there are a bucket load of comments specific for josh post game, so yep, that's why I edited it later and took that out. Its easy for one person to be the whipping boy but its a team effort. What doesn't help Josh is his body language, and I wonder if the big article on him in the HUN was not too much for him.
Sedat, did you watch the Swans V Carlton game and based on that and our game last night, who would you take out and bring in? Coons is one you would obviously give a spell. I can't see that happening and perhaps this is one of the problems.

V swans, they are a very disciplined outfit that never says die and if we lose it, depsite Rockets claims that Hawthorn made the finals even though they started 0-6, long season, blah blah, I reckon morale will be so low its hard to see us being anything than an annoyance in 2011

ReLoad
02-05-2011, 09:32 AM
OUT: Roughead, Grant, Addison/Hill make it a poll on the website.
In: Hudson, Gia, Schofield

Roughy needs a spell.
Grant has a total lack of any sort of intestinal fortitude, for the second week in a row, he dialed up for home delivery when he lives next door to the pizza shop. Lazy.
Addison/Hill, im sorry but disposal is critical and you guys butchered it.

Hudson needs to come back, with will kicking a lot of goals of late at Willy he needs another chance at resting forward.
Gia for certain, we desperately miss his CHF linkwork
Time to give a new running half back flanker a go, lets take a look at you Schofield.

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 09:59 AM
What's the problem with Roughead? Is it easily fixable? I remember seeing him in the Williamstown prelim last year vs Preston now at Adelaide Jacobs and was very concerned in how easily he was beaten. Is it just a core strength issue?

Ozza
02-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Hill simply has to be dropped - thats a non-negotiable. From what I observed - the 21 other blokes turned up with the right mindset - even if some didn't play well - but their appeared up for the game and tried to carry out a specific game plan. Hill didn't want to be there - and his dropped marks and feeble efforts really deflated us.

Its hard to justify Roughead staying in. But if the MC see it that Hudson and Minson definitely can not be in the same side - then I guess he and Minson both have to stay as the ruck combo.

Out: Hill, Addison
In: Higgins, Gia.

Ozza
02-05-2011, 10:02 AM
What's the problem with Roughead? Is it easily fixable? I remember seeing him in the Williamstown prelim last year vs Preston now at Adelaide Jacobs and was very concerned in how easily he was beaten. Is it just a core strength issue?

He really struggled in the wet, and he was easily pushed off the contest. To me, he looked intimdated.

chef
02-05-2011, 10:05 AM

why not:

Minson rucks 66%
Hudson rucks 34%

And what if we get an injury?

Mofra
02-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Given Minson's from, can Hudson play the second ruck role? Only a little tongue in cheek - Minson obviously wants to steal Hudson's mantle and seems to be doing everything in his power to do it.

Gia will help - our F50 entries have been terrible for a while now and he's the no 1 assist player in the AFL. Hopefully he gives us the luxury of keeping Murphy on the HB line.

Jones should stay in - he runs and leads like a natural forward, and will reward us in time.

Mantis
02-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Jones should stay in - he runs and leads like a natural forward, and will reward us in time.

We just have to learn to kick it to him.

I was listening to the coverage on SEN for a bit and there was a bit of play in the 2nd qtr that made me sit up and listen.

The play was described that Cooney had the ball and instead of honouring a good lead from Jones he by-passed him and kicked it to a 50:50 which involved Griffen.

Terry Wallace made the point that it looked as though Cooney saw who it was and didn't kick it him as he didn't trust him.

Scott Lucas made the point that you kick it to the jumper, not the person in the jumper.

Both followed up that Jones has some great raw skills which could make him a very good player in years to come, but he needs experience and the only way he will get it is if we use him. Sure he will make mistakes, but there will be positives and good bits of play which he will build on.

bornadog
02-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Both followed up that Jones has some great raw skills which could make him a very good player in years to come, but he needs experience and the only way he will get it is if we use him. Sure he will make mistakes, but there will be positives and good bits of play which he will build on.

Other than his poor kicking, I thought he did very well with the limited opportunities.

Hotdog60
02-05-2011, 10:32 AM

I was listening to the coverage on SEN for a bit and there was a bit of play in the 2nd qtr that made me sit up and listen.

The play was described that Cooney had the ball and instead of honouring a good lead from Jones he by-passed him and kicked it to a 50:50 which involved Griffen.

Terry Wallace made the point that it looked as though Cooney saw who it was and didn't kick it him as he didn't trust him.

Scott Lucas made the point that you kick it to the jumper, not the person in the jumper.

Could the Dogs have a problem of mates looking for mates, which may account for our seemly poor decision making.

Sedat
02-05-2011, 10:40 AM

I agree with the sentiment, but Jones' kicking technique is so poor that he is no guarantee from the goal square to convert. Jones is like the golfer that can effortlessly smoke a tee shot 300 metres down the middle of the fairway but can't sink a putt to save himself. And his kicking around the ground is just as poor as his set-shot kicking - that kick into the man on the mark in the 2nd qtr was so poorly executed that he almost fresh-aired it.

Unless he does some serious remedial work on his kicking technique, he is going to excite and frustrate us in equal doses. Having said that, he is absolutely worth persisting with as he is a natural forward, is quick off the mark, has great hands and has a terrific defensive work ethic and mindset. But I have seen nothing in any of his games thusfar to suggest he is anything other than a poor decision maker and executor by foot.

Mantis
02-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Unless he does some serious remedial work on his kicking technique, he is going to excite and frustrate us in equal doses. Having said that, he is absolutely worth persisting with as he is a natural forward, is quick off the mark, has great hands and has a terrific defensive work ethic and mindset. But I have seen nothing in any of his games thusfar to suggest he is anything other than a poor decision maker and executor by foot.

I would love to know what we are doing to help improve his kicking.

I watched a recovery session the other week and at the start of this session we had 10 or 15 minutes of goal kicking practice. Through this session not one coach or player was looking to help Jones who was spraying them all over the place. I didn't see Jones seek help either.

Now taking this as an isolated session may mean he is getting help in other sessions, but I would have liked have seen the coaches putting time into a player who obviously needs some help.

stefoid
02-05-2011, 11:01 AM
I would play Jones as long as he is fit. he will have good games and bad games just like any youngster, but its not as like we have Wayne Carey in the wings to come in for him.

Just knowing that the MC is going to back him in for an extended run could improve his confidence.

Roughhead, Im not sure. Im not sure if he can physically stand up to the ruck at this stage for extended periods, and Im not sure we can afford to be running two apprentice tall forwards in the same team, so I would probably go with the minson and hudson combo this year, as much as possible. with a view to Roughhead playing 22+ games next year.

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Other than his poor kicking, I thought he did very well with the limited opportunities.

I agree, Jones must stay in.

In: Hudson, Gia
Out: Roughy, Hill

Sorry Josh you can't have that attitude out on the field. Where's your head at mate?

Hudson 1st ruck, Minson forward. Hudson subbed in the third for a runner and Will takes over. Simple really... :)

Sam Reid shouldn't be far off either.

chef
02-05-2011, 11:25 AM

Sorry Josh you can't have that attitude out on the field. Where's your head at mate?

Hudson 1st ruck, Minson forward. Hudson subbed in the third for a runner and Will takes over. Simple really... :)

And if we get an early injury?

Ozza
02-05-2011, 12:16 PM

Interested with why Sam Reid shouldn't be far off? Where would he play?

Surely we have more than our fair share of one paced mids?

bornadog
02-05-2011, 12:20 PM
I know Skinner hasn't been setting the world on fire, but can he come in as a bit of an X factor. Sometimes players in the reserves just can't improve further as the delivery and opportunities in the forward line are not there.

chef
02-05-2011, 12:30 PM
I know Skinner hasn't been setting the world on fire, but can he come in as a bit of an X factor. Sometimes players in the reserves just can't improve further as the delivery and opportunities in the forward line are not there.

Is he fit enough yet to run out a full game?

the banker
02-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Good things that came out of Saturday - Minson's ability to get decisive hands on the ball at centre bounces. Jones strong marks on fast leads. Sherman continuing to be explosive and a converter.

Negatives were Roughead looking very slow and never really in the contests. Cooney's continuing lack of form. Hill a very soft game.

Wityh the new sub rule we are seeing scoring increase in the last quarter as players tire and defensive zones are harder to maintain. I think that Hudson has to come in and ruck the bulk of the first 3 quarters. Minson should play forward, while he doesn't offer much of a leading option he is a big body and has the capacity to snare a couple. Unlease Will half way through the third quarter and he should be dominate in the potentially explosive last quarter when cnetre square breaks are critical. Hudson can be subbed off then. Grant gets a reprieve because Barry is not available. Wallis did a few nice things and deserves another opportunity. Addison or Hill (or Moles) should go for Gia. Cant wait for Wood to return may give us flexibilty to play Murphy forward..

Markovic Lake Gilbee
Murphy Williams Morris
Cross Boyd Picken
Sherman Grant Ward
Giansiracusa Jones Minson

Hudson Griffen Liberatore

Cooney Wallis Addison ( Hill)

OUT Roughead Moles
IN Hudson Giansircusa

BulldogBelle
02-05-2011, 12:56 PM
I agree with the sentiment, but Jones' kicking technique is so poor that he is no guarantee from the goal square to convert. Jones is like the golfer that can effortlessly smoke a tee shot 300 metres down the middle of the fairway but can't sink a putt to save himself. And his kicking around the ground is just as poor as his set-shot kicking - that kick into the man on the mark in the 2nd qtr was so poorly executed that he almost fresh-aired it.

Surprised that we haven't brought in an ex goal-kicking player (Beasley or Grant or Minton Connell or someone) to assist on a regular basis with Jones' technique and confidence.

There are plenty of younger forwards (Cloke/Buddy of 3-5 seasons ago comes to mind) who have a tendency to be able to kick the long range impossible shot, but miss the sitter from shorter distances.

There has been some significant conversation and evidence about Cooney not kicking to several players, and Cooney not running hard enough, and being completely out of touch with his skill execution, so the obvious question needs to be asked......Cooney OUT against the Swans this week???????????????????????????

Or in Rockets 1 on 1's with Cooney every week, is he simply being too soft with Cooney...

He is the highest paid player on our list, and should be held accountable for his performance.

mjp
02-05-2011, 01:30 PM

Yeah...but there were quite a few of the 'open leads' around 50m-60m from goal that we bypassed on the day in favor of a deeper one-on-one. In the second quarter Gilbee was open (and in the vision) of Griffen (I think it was) and he bypassed him to try and hit up Jones on a contested lead to the pocket.

Seemed to be a plan to me. And one that cost us by the way...in my example, Gilbee would certainly have cruised in and at least had a shot from about 50m.

Greystache
02-05-2011, 01:47 PM

He's a less mature version of Jones at the moment, can take a good mark, but his goal kicking is worse than Jones, and he doesn't have the fitness to run out a game.

Greystache
02-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Yeah...but there were quite a few of the 'open leads' around 50m-60m from goal that we bypassed on the day in favor of a deeper one-on-one. In the second quarter Gilbee was open (and in the vision) of Griffen (I think it was) and he bypassed him to try and hit up Jones on a contested lead to the pocket.

Seemed to be a plan to me. And one that cost us by the way...in my example, Gilbee would certainly have cruised in and at least had a shot from about 50m.

Also the point moles kicked to level the score he had Sherman in 15m of space 20m out from goal screaming for it.

jazzadogs
02-05-2011, 02:08 PM
I don't see what the problems are with a Hudson/Minson ruck combo are. Last year there were issues because Will lacked the mobility to run around, but judging by last night this is not an issue for Will any more. Although Mumford should not be underestimated, I don't think Roughie is offering anything at the moment that Will/Hudson couldn't provide at a higher level.

Out: Roughead, Grant

Grant hasn't done a thing so far this year, but I would be surprised if he is actually dropped. I don't know what is actually wrong with him, or what needs to be done to get him back to his best, but nothing is changing at AFL level. I view Grant as a bigger problem than Hill at this stage.

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 02:23 PM
And if we get an early injury?
You sub off the injured player and deal with it. Being able to sub Huddo for a runner is the plan A, somebody else could be subbed instead for tactical reasons as well as injury.

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Interested with why Sam Reid shouldn't be far off? Where would he play?

Surely we have more than our fair share of one paced mids?

Because he is a good, tough player. The one paced guys might look faster if they are rotated through other positions giving greater depth and freshness in the midfield.

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Grant hasn't done a thing so far this year, but I would be surprised if he is actually dropped. I don't know what is actually wrong with him, or what needs to be done to get him back to his best, but nothing is changing at AFL level. I view Grant as a bigger problem than Hill at this stage.

Has he really done anything that different to what he showed last year? (barring the essendon game when they were a rabble)
Freo and Pies games have been pretty intense and finals like and he's played no different to how he played in the finals last year. He's shown exciting glimpses here and there but generally been quiet but the MC obviously think he needs the games under his belt and that he has the potential to be something.

Desipura
02-05-2011, 02:38 PM
In: Hudson, Gia, Skinner
Out: Roughy, Addison & Grant

Hill gets a reprieve....just (he is far too casual, that passage of play on the last quarter when he thought the ball was going over the boundary line only to see Krakouer get the ball and end result was a goal).

jazzadogs
02-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Has he really done anything that different to what he showed last year? (barring the essendon game when they were a rabble)
Freo and Pies games have been pretty intense and finals like and he's played no different to how he played in the finals last year. He's shown exciting glimpses here and there but generally been quiet but the MC obviously think he needs the games under his belt and that he has the potential to be something.
He hasn't played any different to how he did in the finals, but his form in the the 2010 regular season was much better than what we've seen so far this year.

I think everyone agrees that Grant has the potential to be something, but he's not showing it at the moment. As I said, I don't think he will be dropped but I think it could be good for him if he is.

chef
02-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Out
Addison Moles Roughead Grant Cross

In
Hudson Gia Schofield Stack Reid

Desipura
02-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Out

In
Cross kept Pendlebury quiet, hard to drop him after yesterday

jazzadogs
02-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Out

In
Can't see the MC making significant changes like that this week. This is the kind of game that they will look at in a positive light, not going to feel that they need to make any statements at the selection table or drastically alter the side.

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Out

In

Bit harsh on Dylan, he deserves another week surely.

How was Stacks game in the VFL? He should have to fight his way in. Our backline was pretty good besides the last 10 minutes.

Ghost Dog
02-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Bit harsh on Dylan, he deserves another week surely.

How was Stacks game in the VFL? He should have to fight his way in. Our backline was pretty good besides the last 10 minutes.

10 minutes was all they needed.

Murphy'sLore
02-05-2011, 04:23 PM
From all reports, it doesn't sound as if Stack did anything particularly special this week to justify putting him in again.

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Surely it's time to make some hard calls.

Hard calls? In which respect?

One might be Grant vs Jones when Bazza returns.

Ghost Dog
02-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Can't see the MC making significant changes like that this week. This is the kind of game that they will look at in a positive light, not going to feel that they need to make any statements at the selection table or drastically alter the side.

in the post match conf rocket admitted that certain players are not following instructions. this is more than just disappointing for us fans.

chef
02-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Cross kept Pendlebury quiet, hard to drop him after yesterday

Yeah fair enough, I'm just disappointed with the amount of times he goes to ground and how he just throws the ball on his boot to no one in particular.

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 05:03 PM
There is no way, Cross will be dropped.

Desipura
02-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Yeah fair enough, I'm just disappointed with the amount of times he goes to ground and how he just throws the ball on his boot to no one in particular.
I totally agree with you.

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 05:30 PM

We have a fair few that just seem to kick without looking.

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 06:08 PM
I just don't know where this team is at. If we are not going for to make top four Hudson is out. If we are then Hudson is in. I guess the results of the next two games will tell us a bit more. Just not sure Minson and Hudson are the right mix. I prefer Minson based on form.

divvydan
02-05-2011, 06:27 PM
So, Higgins likely to miss a second week with 'general soreness'? Seems more likely that he must have picked up a soft tissue injury. Front runner is the back related hamstring, followed by a tight groin/adductor, hip, calf and for something different, maybe even an ankle.

I know it took the best part of 6 years for Williams to play nearly a full season. Higgins into his 6th season now and doesn't look like he's ever going to play a full season for us. Really hope I'm wrong.

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 07:56 PM
I would drop Roughead to bring back Hudson. And Moles out for Gia.

Leave Jones and Grant in the team - they will come right.

choconmientay
03-05-2011, 11:44 AM

So, who will be the sub? Moles was the replacement for Roughead in the last game. You can not bring in 2 players ... just for one spot in the team unless Gia is the sub?! :)

Mofra
03-05-2011, 02:39 PM
So, who will be the sub?
Libba? Gives the kid a bit of a freshen up if he's only playing part of the game. I'd hate to see us push him too hard and have him break down.

Bulldog Joe
03-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Libba? Gives the kid a bit of a freshen up if he's only playing part of the game. I'd hate to see us push him too hard and have him break down.

I agree on this one. Keeps him there with the group but reduces his game time for this week.

FrediKanoute
03-05-2011, 11:21 PM

Agree, from what I saw on the weekend leaving guys like Jones and Grant in the team will benefit us long term. We are seeing glimpses of the future, and I like what I am seeing. The result was horrible but the game itself showed we are capable, with a team of kids of matching it with the seasoned Pies.

Yep - LIbba the sub.....

LostDoggy
03-05-2011, 11:30 PM
I Know I'm Biased
Bring back

SAM REID, White & Blue :D

BulldogBelle
04-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Anyone believe Rocket's comments this week, and think that Lake will be sent to Williamstown to regain some fitness

If so, would you think that Mulligan might come in for Lake?

With Markovic and Mulligan we will have an inexperienced backline, but it would be good to see some development of our younger backs...

Mantis
04-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Anyone believe Rocket's comments this week, and think that Lake will be sent to Williamstown to regain some fitness

If so, would you think that Mulligan might come in for Lake?

With Markovic and Mulligan we will have an inexperienced backline, but it would be good to see some development of our younger backs...

If Lake is dropped (which you would think is unlikely) who they replace him with will be dependent on how Sydney select their team.

If they play all of Pyke, White & Mumford in their team we probably need the extra tall defender, but if one of these are dropped we probably don't need to play all of Markovic, Williams or Lake/ Mulligan....but we could throw Lake forward if Sydney go small.

I guess also who we play on Goodes will also play a big part in determining our line-up.

Kelso @ Mt Eliza
04-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Minson deserves to stay in.. and deserves to stay in as Ruckman.. swapping forward. If Higgins, Gia & Hudson are ready to come back, and I mean ready as in firing on all cylinders, then they are in our best team. I would play 3 talls, leave Roughead in as a deep forward, drop Grant. Have Minson rest when not in Ruck in the hole in the forward 50m.. have Hudson rest on the bench when not in the middle. I would also put Hill in the forward 50m. Libba and Wallis should alternate the sub each week.. Libba starting as Sub this week.
Therfore, If Higgins & Gia are ready
In: Hudson, Higgins, Giansiracusa
Out: Grant, Moles, Jones or Addison

Mantis
04-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Minson deserves to stay in.. and deserves to stay in as Ruckman.. swapping forward. If Higgins, Gia & Hudson are ready to come back, and I mean ready as in firing on all cylinders, then they are in our best team. I would play 3 talls, leave Roughead in as a deep forward, drop Grant. Have Minson rest when not in Ruck in the hole in the forward 50m.. have Hudson rest on the bench when not in the middle. I would also put Hill in the forward 50m. Libba and Wallis should alternate the sub each week.. Libba starting as Sub this week.
Therfore, If Higgins & Gia are ready
In: Hudson, Higgins, Giansiracusa
Out: Grant, Moles, Jones or Addison

So we will have Jones, Minson & Roughy in the same forwardline for the bulk of the game??

Our forward pressure has been improving by playing a more mobile forwardline so I can't see your suggestion helping.

Mofra
04-05-2011, 11:56 AM
So we will have Jones, Minson & Roughy in the same forwardline for the bulk of the game??

Our forward pressure has been improving by playing a more mobile forwardline so I can't see your suggestion helping.
Grant can play as a leading tallish player too, so I definately wouldn't want Roughy & Minson in the same forwardline.

If we can find someone who can play as a high forward and deliver the ball into the F50 to our advantage we'd be a much better side. Gia is elite in this area, and Higgins really could be. Is it worth trying Ward as a high HF again? With Jack out we can take Ward away from an inside mid role and still should be able to match the Swans for grunt.

LostDoggy
04-05-2011, 12:24 PM
I think that we will be a better clearance and stoppage side with Minson and Hudson as the ruck combo however the key to playing both is finding something Ben can do 10-15% of the time that is not rucking or sitting on the bench?? It is his lack of flexibility that means the second player has to be primarily there to do something else as they will only ruck 20% TOG. The current concern is Will is not a good enough forward and Jordan is too slight to take on the bigger opposition rucks. Neither of them can help much with defensive pressure in the forward line either, one of our greatest areas of weakness.

Can we drop Hudson back in defense blocking the hole from 10-35 out (either spare man or swing Lake forward)? Can we play him as a ruck rover?

Sydney play two rucks so we should be able to try some things out this game. I think we need to find some flexibility for Hudson though as otherwise we are going to be playing with compromise all year.

Maddog37
04-05-2011, 12:41 PM
This week we will need two ruckman as Mummy is pretty handy and Seaby and or Pike are legitimate rucks. I would drop Ruff as he has a corky anyway. Huddo to play deep in the square and use a small to live in his pocket to shark his crumbs(he could tap to advantage in the contest at the very least couldn't he?).

Not sure who else to go in or out. Would depend on fitness/injuries. Gilbee played on Harry O last week and did a good job. May do the same on Mattner this week. Higgins or Gia to come in if 100% fit so maybe Grant or Moles out.

Jack being out is a massive plus for us. Williams to play on Goodes again.

BulldogBelle
04-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Jen Witham just tweeted that Brett Montgomery said that Brian Lake will play VFL this week. And that Roughead sounds likely to join him there.

She also tweeted that Higgins didnt do much at training, and isnt expected to play on the weekend.

Said that Skinner, Schofield and in the mix, as obviously inclusions Hudson and Gia.

Desipura
04-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Jen Witham just tweeted that Brett Montgomery said that Brian Lake will play VFL this week. And that Roughead sounds likely to join him there.

She also tweeted that Higgins didnt do much at training, and isnt expected to play on the weekend.

Said that Skinner, Schofield and in the mix, as obviously inclusions Hudson and Gia.

that would be a big call if we dropped Lake. Would love to add some x factor in Skinner in our side, I think we badly need it.
Rocket loves the way Scofield goes about it.

bornadog
04-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Lake is to be dropped this week, just confirmed on SEN

Kelso @ Mt Eliza
04-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Lake out... also heard on SEN- have to say that it is warranted - he looks sore and out of touch... I like the prospect of giving Skinner a run... otherwise In's look to be Gia & Hudson, Outs: Lake & Roughhead

bornadog
04-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Seems like he made good on his word.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bulldogs-send-brian-lake-to-the-vfl/story-e6frf9jf-1226049758648

''It's not speculation, Brian will go back to the VFL. We've sat down with Brian and devised a plan that's best for him and the club to get him into that form and also to get some confidence up,'' Bulldog's assistant coach Brett Montgomery said after training today.

Based on that:

Out Roughead, Lake

In: Hudson and Gia.

Mantis
04-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Interesting call on Lake.

I wonder if the decision is based on a lack of conditioning or for not following instructions?

Desipura
04-05-2011, 02:50 PM

I wonder if the decision is based on a lack of conditioning or for not following instructions?

I hope they make the same calls if more of our senior players do not follow instructions or appear to be passed it. Lake is an easy target for Rocket.

azabob
04-05-2011, 02:51 PM

I'd say his lack of condition means he can't do what he normally does, so perhaps a combination.

But either way Im glad they are making the decision.

The MC have said for the last two years or so if you are not fit you won't play.

This is the first year I believe they are truly doing that.

azabob
04-05-2011, 02:54 PM
I hope they make the same calls if more of our senior players do not follow instructions or appear to be passed it. Lake is an easy target for Rocket.

Totally agree with your comment about the senior players.

Yes Lake is an easy target but he has never put him back to the seconds before, he has only played seconds when coming back from an injury.

bornadog
04-05-2011, 02:57 PM

Why is he an easy target?

I would say with Markovic stepping up, Rocket is now more confident the FB position can be covered between Williams and Markovic.

There have been times that Rocket wanted to drop players but never had any one stepping up to the plate.

Desipura
04-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Why is he an easy target?

I would say with Markovic stepping up, Rocket is now more confident the FB position can be covered between Williams and Markovic.

There have been times that Rocket wanted to drop players but never had any one stepping up to the plate.

He has publicly given Lake a few sprays over the years, cant recall him doing it consistently to any one else.
Other than Garlick & Croft, I cant recall a Bulldogs coach ( in more recent times) saying I think the game has passed you guys, Im going with some youngsters.

Is Rocket saying a players expiry date is after the finals of every season? I think a number of players are retained for 1 year too long.

There are a few players that need to show they still have what it takes.....I will mention one player Gilbee. I used to love watching him play in full flight. I hope he can still contribute to our team, perhaps as a substitute, who knows?

Mantis
04-05-2011, 03:19 PM
There are a few players that need to show they still have what it takes.....I will mention one player Gilbee. I used to love watching him play in full flight. I hope he can still contribute to our team, perhaps as a substitute, who knows?

When Gia, Higgins, Wood & Hargrave are all available for selection one would think that there will be great pressure on Gilbee to perform at a consistent level to keep his place in the team..... and no he won't be the only one in this boat.

Desipura
04-05-2011, 03:27 PM
When Gia, Higgins, Wood & Hargrave are all available for selection one would think that there will be great pressure on Gilbee to perform at a consistent level to keep his place in the team..... and no he won't be the only one in this boat.
I think you and I and a few others are on the same page as to who may be under pressure to perform.
Gilbee playing on a half fwd flank last week was really a stop gap solution due to our injuries.
I just hope players at Williamstown put pressure on the senior players as we have in the passed played out of form senior players in ones.
Also hope Eade continues to make the big calls if they need to be made.

Desipura
04-05-2011, 03:37 PM
In: Hudson, Giansiracusa, Skinner & Schofield
Out: Roughead, Grant, Lake & Addison

bornadog
04-05-2011, 03:51 PM
I think you and I and a few others are on the same page as to who may be under pressure to perform.
Gilbee playing on a half fwd flank last week was really a stop gap solution due to our injuries.
I just hope players at Williamstown put pressure on the senior players as we have in the passed played out of form senior players in ones.
Also hope Eade continues to make the big calls if they need to be made.

At first I thought Gilbee didn't play that well on the weekend, but then I took another look and he played on O'Brien and kept him very quiet for the night, plus he kicked a goal and contributed to two others.

bornadog
04-05-2011, 03:53 PM

I would take that. I thought Addison last week looked out of his depth, Grant has done very little in 5 games and Roughie same the last two weeks.

The Pie Man
04-05-2011, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't have thought Skinner is any chance, though switching Murphy forward in the last quarter last week may be a concession that we need more 'talent' down there - Gia of course would/will help, but Skinner could be just that X factor that in normal circustances (as in this early in his career) wouldn't get a look in

Kelso @ Mt Eliza
04-05-2011, 04:51 PM

I've changed my mind... I like the sound of this ... good call.
Balance looks ok to bring in Skinner & Schofield...

LostDoggy
04-05-2011, 06:17 PM
I am not sure if they will do it, or of the players are ready to do it, but I would love for us to play Skinner and Grant in the same forward line. As a combination I think their speed would help with defensive pressure and would create some match up dilemas for the opposition. Whether Skinner has the tank to do this yet might be the question.

Based on a desire to see this trialled I would suggest the following outs and ins.

Out: Lake, Roughead, Hill

This is not a pot at Josh, but Sydney are an ultra tough contested ball unit and I don't think that suits Josh's style.

Ins: Hudson, Gia, Skinner
Schofield versus Addison is almost a toss of the coin but I would back Dylan's more mature body and contested ball game given the opponent.

stefoid
04-05-2011, 06:21 PM
I wouldnt drop Grant. he has too much of what we need, and I think he personally just needs fitness and experience at the top level to slowly improve. Willi isn't the best place for him to get either, nor is he the type to respond well to being dropped.

Sedat
04-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Manuka is a big oval, so we need players that can run and spread and also that have the tank to run the game out. Our record against Sydney in Canberra is very good, and we usually blow them away with a burst of goals because they cannot restrict the flow of the game like they can do at the SCG.

I'd like to see Schofield come in this week because he can add to our running link-up capability and can also ensure that the Gilbee defensive forward experiment is given a decent run - he has no shortage of attacking rebounders to lock onto in Sydney's half-back line.

Maddog37
04-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Gilbee at half forward shows just how much the game has changed. Playing him at half back used to mean he had a man to beat and could occasionally get of the leash and attack with his great skills. Now that half back is so important he effectively got tagged out of the position. Solution; move him to half forward so he can tag someone and occasionally use his great skills to kick goals.

He really is playing the same role he always has at the other end of the ground.

the banker
04-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Dont understand why Gilbee is such a target. I think Rocket gives him specific tasks different to his HBF dashes of the past. Defensive forward on O'Brien, gifted Sherman 2 goals and kicked the goal from 55m that gave us a chance. I think he played a highly effective team game. He gives a lot of flexibility in swapping forward/defensive roles with Murphy. He still has plenty to offer.

Rocco Jones
04-05-2011, 08:14 PM
I really don't get the Skinner in calls. Don't get me wrong, I would like it a very exciting/fun inclusion but that's where it ends for me. It seems like he is another guy who is all about hope. I think we would find an odd correlation between those who want him in and those who have actually watched him play for Willy.

I hope he comes in and proves me wrong because obviously that is great for the club as well as being a whole heap of fun.

Anyways my guess...

IN: Hudson, Gia (Schofield if Gia isn't fit)
OUT: Roughead, Lake

I think Hill should survive due to his flexibility and our lack of depth due to injuries.

w3design
04-05-2011, 08:26 PM
This is not a pot at Josh, but Sydney are an ultra tough contested ball unit and I don't think that suits Josh's style.

Ins: Hudson, Gia, Skinner
Schofield versus Addison is almost a toss of the coin but I would back Dylan's more mature body and contested ball game given the opponent.

If what you say is true and Josh can't play against a team who play 'tough contested ball' ... then that implies there will never be a spot for him. Contested footy is what wins finals and crunch games. I don't know if he actually can't play contested footy, though the evidence of ten points that way, I'm just saying it's not like when malthouse used to drop Beasley for wet games..we can't say, We won't select Josh THIS week as it's a contested footy kind of game.

FrediKanoute
04-05-2011, 08:52 PM
He has publicly given Lake a few sprays over the years, cant recall him doing it consistently to any one else.
Other than Garlick & Croft, I cant recall a Bulldogs coach ( in more recent times) saying I think the game has passed you guys, Im going with some youngsters.

Is Rocket saying a players expiry date is after the finals of every season? I think a number of players are retained for 1 year too long.

On Gilbee, I liked the move of him to the forward line against the PIes. I think we could reinvent him as a defensive forward with a potent eye for a goal.

Sockeye Salmon
04-05-2011, 10:10 PM
I really don't get the Skinner in calls. Don't get me wrong, I would like it a very exciting/fun inclusion but that's where it ends for me. It seems like he is another guy who is all about hope. I think we would find an odd correlation between those who want him in and those who have actually watched him play for Willy.

I hope he comes in and proves me wrong because obviously that is great for the club as well as being a whole heap of fun.

Anyways my guess...

I think Hill should survive due to his flexibility and our lack of depth due to injuries.

20 game rule

Ghost Dog
04-05-2011, 10:40 PM
On Gilbee, I liked the move of him to the forward line against the PIes. I think we could reinvent him as a defensive forward with a potent eye for a goal.

Yeah Yeah. He looked happier close to goal didn't he? Good post

Rance Fan
04-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Targets -- Lake, ...Gilbee?

How about Cooney!! Mr Brownlow...He should be our Chris Judd!
Cooney just doesnt step up!
I reckon Griffen clearly is more valuable and gives his all.
Griffen steps up when it counts!
Cooney!!!...CMON

Greystache
04-05-2011, 10:55 PM

Anyways my guess...

I don't think the calls for Skinner to come in are coming from people who've seen him play competitively. He does some exciting things, but that makes up about 5% of his game time, that and his goal and field kicking is very poor. He shows promise but personally I think he has a long way to go before he should be selected.

wimberga
05-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Grant can play as a leading tallish player too, so I definately wouldn't want Roughy & Minson in the same forwardline.

If we can find someone who can play as a high forward and deliver the ball into the F50 to our advantage we'd be a much better side. Gia is elite in this area, and Higgins really could be. Is it worth trying Ward as a high HF again? With Jack out we can take Ward away from an inside mid role and still should be able to match the Swans for grunt.

Not a bad idea, however on On the Couch with Rocket on Monday, Paul Roos asked him some question about the way we were setting up, and referred to a point when we had Cal Ward playing HFF. I really cant remember the full question and answer but Eade made some comment about how Ward was pushed up forward but he can get lost a bit, and the specific footage they showed on the show happened to be a time when ward got it right.

Sorry if this is confusing, but what im getting at is that it seemed to me like although they played ward up forward, he was a bit lost up there and better off in the midfield

Lake Superior
05-05-2011, 12:24 AM
Only reason Skinner would be considered is for a publicity stunt, hopefully he can take a screamer and we can attract the missing members back to the club. Not ready IMO

Ghost Dog
05-05-2011, 07:29 AM
The spot he ( Lake ) leaves behind could be filled by exciting rookie-draft bolter Zephaniah Skinner after assistant coach Brett Montgomery revealed he had moved into calculations this week.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/star-cut-as-dogs-look-to-youth-20110504-1e8g8.html#ixzz1LPwISqp4

Bulldog Joe
05-05-2011, 07:45 AM
I don't think the calls for Skinner to come in are coming from people who've seen him play competitively. He does some exciting things, but that makes up about 5% of his game time, that and his goal and field kicking is very poor. He shows promise but personally I think he has a long way to go before he should be selected.

What is it about Skinner's kicking?

I did see him in the NAB Cup at Geelong and he delivered a magnificent pass to Gia. I understood he was seen as having good disposal.

Does he lack consistency or is it a problem under pressure ?

GVGjr
05-05-2011, 07:49 AM
What is it about Skinner's kicking?

I did see him in the NAB Cup at Geelong and he delivered a magnificent pass to Gia. I understood he was seen as having good disposal.

Does he lack consistency or is it a problem under pressure ?

It's inconsistent and the decision making with his passing isn't great either. At Torquay he missed a couple of set shots from around 30mtrs out and he also butchered the ball with some passes. He was a bit better at Coburg.

I agree with you that sometimes his kicking looks very good but overall there is a fair bit to improve.

BulldogBelle
05-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Not a bad idea, however on On the Couch with Rocket on Monday, Paul Roos asked him some question about the way we were setting up, and referred to a point when we had Cal Ward playing HFF. I really cant remember the full question and answer but Eade made some comment about how Ward was pushed up forward but he can get lost a bit, and the specific footage they showed on the show happened to be a time when ward got it right.

Sorry if this is confusing, but what im getting at is that it seemed to me like although they played ward up forward, he was a bit lost up there and better off in the midfield

Suppose we are forced with one less player to rotate our mids more consistenly

And if we want to play the high intensity football that Collingwood play, we are forced to rotate our mids through the forward line

It all comes down to training and player development and each individial knowing whats required of him accross a variety of positions...

OLD SCRAGGer
05-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Just heard that Zephi WILL play against swans this week!! Hope he goes well. GO THE BULLFROG :)

SlimPickens
05-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Just heard that Zephi WILL play against swans this week!! Hope he goes well. GO THE BULLFROG :)

Where did you hear this?

OLD SCRAGGer
05-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Where did you hear this?

I know people who sponsor him & were told last night at sponsors dinner!!!

SlimPickens
05-05-2011, 11:26 AM
I know people who sponsor him & were told last night at sponsors dinner!!!

Very good, exciting times for Zephi hopefully he goes well.

My Ins: Zephi (Sub), Hudson, Gia

Out: Lake, Roughie, Addison

Hill can count himself lucky this week, was scathing of his efforts last Sunday. I don't think the MC will drop him however.

BulldogBelle
05-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Very good, exciting times for Zephi hopefully he goes well.

My Ins: Zephi (Sub), Hudson, Gia

Out: Lake, Roughie, Addison

Hill can count himself lucky this week, was scathing of his efforts last Sunday. I don't think the MC will drop him however.

Zephi is going to find Canberra pretty cold ;-)

I think Schofield has shown more for Williamstown than Zephi...

If Zephi is in then the MC want more firepower in the F50

Mantis
05-05-2011, 11:36 AM
If Zephi is in then the MC want more firepower in the F50

Going on last weeks efforts I just hope we can get the ball I50 a bit more.

G-Mo77
05-05-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm pretty excited about the decision. It's always good to see the pups come through.

I wonder if Schofield is still a chance?

The 2010 draft is looking like a really big win for us so far.

Curly5
05-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Zephi will be a big drawcard for this game, in the absence of Hall and Lake. Sydney fans will be disappointed not to see BBB but hopefully will go along to watch a new, intriguing player who has already gripped the imagination of many. Of course, I hope the PR factor is not the only reason he plays. :cool:

LostDoggy
05-05-2011, 02:07 PM

I would be happy if your right but I think he will be in the squad but not in the team (as usual I have no reference, purely personal opinion). He is still too raw but he may get a lot out of a view of the big time.

I will update my changes though...

Out: Roughy, Hill, Lake
In: Hudson, Gia, Reid

Kelso @ Mt Eliza
05-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Out: Roughy, Lake, Hill
In: Hudson, Skinner & Gia

Lock it in

LostDoggy
05-05-2011, 02:49 PM

He sure will be playing.. Rocket told everyone at the dinner last night..... very very excited to see him play...... Go Zeph...

bornadog
05-05-2011, 03:18 PM
He sure will be playing.. Rocket told everyone at the dinner last night..... very very excited to see him play...... Go Zeph...

Did he mention Schofield?

Ghost Dog
05-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Great! Note to marketing department. Rasta beanies have been a hit.
How about a rat-tail beanie?

Kelso @ Mt Eliza
05-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Zephaniah is a Bulldog....

LostDoggy
05-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Did he mention Schofield?

Nah no mention of Jayden... although i did block stuff out as soon as Rocket said Zeph was playing(since hes my sponsored player):D.....

bornadog
05-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Nah no mention of Jayden... although i did block stuff out as soon as Rocket said Zeph was playing(since hes my sponsored player):D.....

Your table would have errupted.

Greystache
05-05-2011, 05:17 PM

I thought Zeph was sponsored by Before The Game, do the players have multiple sponsors?

bornadog
05-05-2011, 05:51 PM
I thought Zeph was sponsored by Before The Game, do the players have multiple sponsors?

yes they do

LostDoggy
05-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Your table would have errupted.

I was pretty excited, but id heard another player say it jsut before Rocket said it which got more of a reaction out of me :D.... i had Will and Barry on the table in front of us, and they were very happy for Zeph...... as we were walking out Lindsay jumped on Zeph and gave him a big hug and said congrats(pretty sure th players would have known before the night, but it was great to see Zeph get a lot of support from the boys)

Yeah before the game sponsor him, as do myself and my friend, and another lady and her mum

Greystache
05-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Yeah before the game sponsor him, as do myself and my friend, and another lady and her mum

He's certainly already got a cult following!

Ghost Dog
06-05-2011, 08:17 AM
I was pretty excited, but id heard another player say it jsut before Rocket said it which got more of a reaction out of me :D.... i had Will and Barry on the table in front of us, and they were very happy for Zeph...... as we were walking out Lindsay jumped on Zeph and gave him a big hug and said congrats(pretty sure th players would have known before the night, but it was great to see Zeph get a lot of support from the boys)

Thumbs up Zhephster