PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs call in the Cops!

Bumper Bulldogs
03-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Unbelievable I know but just on channel 7 news just had a news flash to say that the Dogs have called in the police as someone has embezzled $500,000 from the club.

Did Smorgo run over a Black cat?:(

azabob
03-05-2011, 07:31 PM
I think 3AW ran with this first thing on their sports today show at 6pm.

How do we have $500 G lying around?

Prince Imperial
03-05-2011, 07:32 PM
This makes me very, very angry.:mad:

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
03-05-2011, 07:34 PM
I heard that on Channel 7 as well - it's not as if we can spare any $

LostDoggy
03-05-2011, 07:44 PM
WTF waiting for for details, to be so happy to hear we raised the 1.25 million Saturday night and now this. Hope it is nit as bad as it sounds.

Prince Imperial
03-05-2011, 08:04 PM
SEN news just said all the money has been recovered. :D

LostDoggy
03-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Hope that is so. 3aw news just said club was yet to confirm issue but it was believed police investigation was well underway.

The Coon Dog
03-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Good news is all monies recovered.

Remi Moses
03-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Good old White collar crime

LostDoggy
03-05-2011, 08:33 PM
3aw just reported the bulldogs had released a media statement confirming the story and all monies has been recovered. Found by the new CFO end of 2010, no further comment as a police matter.

comrade
03-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Previous CFO?

azabob
03-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Old CFO?

Who was?

Prince Imperial
03-05-2011, 08:36 PM
3aw just reported the bulldogs had released a media statement confirming the story and all monies has been recovered. Found by the new CFO end of 2010, no further comment as a police matter.

Maybe this is a positive. Maybe we have 500k we didn't think we had! ;)

The club has a wide ranging business in several areas - this could have been in any of them.

Prince Imperial
03-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Who was?

Need to be very careful about this as we don't know the details of the investigation.

LostDoggy
03-05-2011, 08:48 PM
It'd be so hard to embezzle that much money unless:

They had access to vast pools of money
They've been doing it for a long time

You'd think Cam Rose/Simon Garlick would have to sign off on any major expense.

Prince Imperial
03-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Simon Garlick just on 3AW and stated that all monies recovered and that matter under police investigation. Gerard Healy then commented that Cam Rose was not suspected and was in no way involved. Actually I never thought of the great man so I was a little surprised with this even being mentioned.

Prince Imperial
03-05-2011, 09:01 PM
First internet story:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/113006/default.aspx

azabob
03-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Simon Garlick just on 3AW and stated that all monies recovered and that matter under police investigation. Gerard Healy then commented that Cam Rose was not suspected and was in no way involved. Actually I never thought of the great man so I was a little surprised with this even being mentioned.

But others may have.

LostDoggy
03-05-2011, 09:07 PM
But others may have.

He'd be the first bloke looked at, of course, because that's his job. Glad he's been cleared…

LostDoggy
03-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Wow! I hadn't heard about this, been off the air all day today. I have worked in an organisation where the Finance Director had been skimming off hundred's of thousands for a few years - sometimes it is very easy for those who have access to the financials of a company to do this! I'm sure all will be revealed in time.

LostDoggy
03-05-2011, 09:48 PM
It won't be the last time that this happens to an organisation, people in the position of trust stealing money. A pity that the club has to deal with this. Its not like the Bulldogs have alot of money.

Hotdog60
03-05-2011, 10:00 PM
It won't be the last time that this happens to an organisation, people in the position of trust stealing money. A pity that the club has to deal with this. Its not like the Bulldogs have alot of money.

Yeah, go do it to Collingwood and bring them back to the rest of the pack.:D

AndrewP6
03-05-2011, 10:01 PM

God, an investigation into suspicious individuals at Collingwood might take decades!

Oops, did I say that out loud? :)

The Coon Dog
03-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Victorian AFL club falls victim to fraud

POLICE are investigating fraud claims at AFL club Western Bulldogs, in which an employee reportedly embezzled $500,000 of the club's money.

The Bulldogs said all the money in question had been recovered but the club would not provide a figure.

Radio station 3AW reported it was around $500,000.

A statement from the club confirmed it is working with police on the fraud allegations.

"The alleged fraud was detected internally at the end of 2010 as a result of improved internal control procedures following the appointment of our current CFO(chief financial officer)," the statement reads.

"The matter was immediately reported to Victoria Police and is now a matter under investigation."

Police confirmed they had interviewed a man in relation to a "complex fraud matter".

"The man has been interviewed and released pending further inquiries," Victoria Police spokeswoman Leonie Johnson said today.

LostDoggy
03-05-2011, 11:40 PM
Stubbsy should have noticed that earlier

The Adelaide Connection
04-05-2011, 12:35 AM
It would be great news if this money had been missing for a while and therefore hadn't been accounted for in the clubs current financials. "Finding" $500k will be another great dent in the debt.

Dry Rot
04-05-2011, 12:46 AM
3aw just reported the bulldogs had released a media statement confirming the story and all monies has been recovered. Found by the new CFO end of 2010

Makes sense now.

He was probably looking back on what we'd paid to Jordan McMahon for "playing" for us.

MrMahatma
04-05-2011, 08:23 AM
What was Rhode's salary over his tenure? Probably added up to $500k. Definite fraud.

The Coon Dog
04-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Given that every company these days moves money around left, right & centre online, its hardly surprising that someone who's either greedy or desperate (or both) succumbs to the temptation in front of them. Just seem to read about it more & more in the news.

The Coon Dog
04-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Dogs call in police over fraud

Samantha Lane - The Age - 4 May

THE Western Bulldogs last night confirmed an internal fraud case that remains the subject of a Victoria Police investigation.

The money in question - a sum The Age believes to be about $500,000 - has been recovered by the club, which discovered the fraud at the end of last year.

The Age understands that former Bulldogs chief executive Campbell Rose is not implicated, and that the person no longer works at the club.

Article in full... (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dogs-call-in-police-over-fraud-20110503-1e6vs.html)

LostDoggy
04-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Sounds like a fairly material amount (depending on how many years the crime was carried over). Who have been the Auditors over the last 5-10 years?

Daughter of the West
04-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Sounds like a fairly material amount (depending on how many years the crime was carried over). Who have been the Auditors over the last 5-10 years?

Grant Thornton, according to the 2010 Financial Report. Not sure about earlier.

bornadog
04-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Grant Thornton, according to the 2010 Financial Report. Not sure about earlier.

Can't blame the auditors as it could have happened after the last accounts were audited.

The Adelaide Connection
04-05-2011, 11:27 AM
As TCD said it would be easy enough to shift the funds but if the amount was as big as reported you have to wonder how the person ever thought they would get away with it. Maybe $500k would be like stealing the little plastic cap on a car tyre valve at some companies, but it would be a bit like stealing the engine or the roof at our club. Someone was going to realise eventually.

Throughandthrough
04-05-2011, 11:33 AM
A Footy Club in SA (many years ago) lost a whole lot of $$$ when a desparate employee placed a whole lot of lare bets on Keno. (He was the Keno operator at the club). Unsurprisingly, the tickets didnt win so they couldnt afford to pay for them.....

PS Other then that, I suspect Andrejs Everitt, he pretended he was a footballer and was paid a lot of money and is no longer at the club.

LostDoggy
04-05-2011, 05:56 PM

They're probably too busy looking over the salary cap down at the Lexus Centre…

Given that every company these days moves money around left, right & centre online, its hardly surprising that someone who's either greedy or desperate (or both) succumbs to the temptation in front of them. Just seem to read about it more & more in the news.

This is probably attributed more to advances in technology and accounting systems. Whereas in days gone by different areas of a company would have their own silos of information, and auditors would have to manually correlate reports from those different areas, systems are much more integrated now and it's very easy to run a report of every single expense a company has incurred, as long as records are correct.

In my humble opinion, the Dogs should have been using Sage ERP Accpac to do their financials and they'd have picked up on it sooner. ;) (Disclaimer: I work for Sage, hehe, couldn't help but put in the shameless plug)

Ghost Dog
04-05-2011, 08:06 PM
A Footy Club in SA (many years ago) lost a whole lot of $$$ when a desparate employee placed a whole lot of lare bets on Keno. (He was the Keno operator at the club). Unsurprisingly, the tickets didnt win so they couldnt afford to pay for them.....

PS Other then that, I suspect Andrejs Everitt, he pretended he was a footballer and was paid a lot of money and is no longer at the club.

HAHA lol. Ok so if he's not a footballer what is he? :D
wait for it.....

Chicago1
05-05-2011, 02:59 AM
I was very impressed last night to read the email I received which was sent to all of the members by Simon Garlick. However, my cat, Lily, had a difficult time opening up the email she received. In future I hope this kind of news is more pet accessible. :p