PDA

View Full Version : Slamming the Ball on the Foot when Under Pressure

bornadog
04-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Time and again when we are under pressure in the backline, we just slam the ball on the boot and try to kick it as far as we can up the ground, only to kick to the opposition.

This tactic cost us the game against Freo and certainly we did it many times last week as well as against Essendon. Surely, when players are under pressure due to the forward press, they can slow down a bit and think about the next disposal? I find this very frustrating.

Mantis
04-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Who do you think are the worst offenders?

You also talk about slowing down to assess options, but if they are under pressure what options do they have, but to move the ball on?

bornadog
04-05-2011, 11:08 AM

You also talk about slowing down to assess options, but if they are under pressure what options do they have, but to move the ball on?

Worst offenders are but not limited to:

Boyd, Cross, Libba sometimes, Cooney.

I would rather they force a ball up or handpass in front of themselves and then play on., but just slamming it on the boot is disaster.

Sockeye Salmon
04-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Time and again when we are under pressure in the backline, we just slam the ball on the boot and try to kick it as far as we can up the ground, only to kick to the opposition.

This tactic cost us the game against Freo and certainly we did it many times last week as well as against Essendon. Surely, when players are under pressure due to the forward press, they can slow down a bit and think about the next disposal? I find this very frustrating.

Of course the alternative is not getting rid of it and be done for HTB in a nanosecond

1eyedog
04-05-2011, 11:46 AM
I would prefer a long bomb out rather than a holding the ball decision 25 metres out from goal as well.

I agree that the only option out of defence under a forward press is a quick kick out but why are we kicking it straight to an opposition player? Do we need to play one on one behind the play so this doesn't happen? Playing one on one behind the play will reduce the numbers we have in D50 which will create more space and opportunities for the opposition to score.

I's ugly when our whole team are in the opposition's F50. If our backline was able to exert more pressure in D50 we could free up players to play a one on one contest for that quick kick out of defence under pressure. A contest is better than kicking to loose men behind the play.

Dancin' Douggy
04-05-2011, 12:02 PM
I think the hard thing to digest is that when the opposition does the same thing with a quick clearing kick, they seem to have loose players there waiting for it and we never do.

Desipura
04-05-2011, 12:43 PM
I have an idea, why dont our onballers run in 3s and 4s so they dont just bomb it to no one?

mjp
04-05-2011, 12:50 PM

It isn't the fault of the player with the ball. Once their hands are clear in a contested situation, they HAVE to dispose of it...having a hands before feet mentallity helps, but if you cannot see the release target for the trees, then a forward kick is the only option.

The problem is that our 30m release kick seems to be a surprise to all other players down the ground...regular training watchers could say if we practise this element of the game - quick kick hacked out of congestion intended for a 'spot' 30m downfield where we have a designated receiver. It isn't the kick that is wrong - it is the fact that there is not a contest at the other end of it!

Doc26
04-05-2011, 01:11 PM
It isn't the fault of the player with the ball. Once their hands are clear in a contested situation, they HAVE to dispose of it...having a hands before feet mentallity helps, but if you cannot see the release target for the trees, then a forward kick is the only option.

The problem is that our 30m release kick seems to be a surprise to all other players down the ground...regular training watchers could say if we practise this element of the game - quick kick hacked out of congestion intended for a 'spot' 30m downfield where we have a designated receiver. It isn't the kick that is wrong - it is the fact that there is not a contest at the other end of it!

This is my thinking MJP. One of the biggest 'culprits' in slamming the boot onto the ball is also regarded as one of the best players going around, Dane Swan. He gets away with it because he has legitimate contested options up the gound that are well prepared and skilful enough to make it work. We, me included, often criticise Boyd in particular for his loose disposal by foot from a stoppage and yet so often I see Swan doing the same thing and getting away with it, often as an effective disposal.

Sedat
04-05-2011, 01:20 PM

St Kilda have been terrific in the last couple of years at anticipating the quick kick from congestion and getting the numerical advantage at where the kick will land - likewise Collingwood are exceptional at this.

LostDoggy
04-05-2011, 04:00 PM
We used to run in packs and use 3 - 6 handballs to get out of trouble. This doesnt seem to happen as much anymore. I would have thought with guys like Cross, Boyd, Hudson and Libba that this handball linking would be one of our strengths.

1eyedog
04-05-2011, 04:27 PM
We used to run in packs and use 3 - 6 handballs to get out of trouble. This doesnt seem to happen as much anymore. I would have thought with guys like Cross, Boyd, Hudson and Libba that this handball linking would be one of our strengths.

This is difficult against a forward press and can more often than not result in turn overs. This is how Collingwood beat Geelong in last years final when Geelong tried to play bravado out of their back half.

We are simply not winning enough clearances in order to anticipate this clearance kick in order to set up a one on one contest. The Suns beat us in clearances as we all know.

1eyedog
04-05-2011, 04:27 PM
St Kilda have been terrific in the last couple of years at anticipating the quick kick from congestion and getting the numerical advantage at where the kick will land - likewise Collingwood are exceptional at this.

St. Kilda have this luxury with a gun inside mid in Hayes, so could anticpate this congested kick, not so anymore which is just one of the many reasons why they are struggling, likewise Collingwood with Ball and Swan. When you get beat for clearances by the a new AFL team it is hard to ad hoc a loose set play which anticipates this.

FrediKanoute
04-05-2011, 09:08 PM

Boyd.......45 possessions against Freo and yet a high % were ineffective or turnovers
Cross......

These two by a country mile.

As to what we should do alternatively, handball to a congested contest? No prior opportunity it will be a ball up. Handball to a guy away from the contest - allows space.

Simply kicking the ball in hope just sees it rebound back when we haven't set back up. Its a temporary relief which then means the pressure returns twice as hard.

Rance Fan
04-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Murphy shows for the most part how to kick accurately.
I think we need players up ahead to present as well.

I think Addison, Ward and Griffen kick the ball poorly also.
Hargrave in the past also!!

Maybe its easier to name who are good kicks!
Murphy, Gia...mmmm Higgins??!!

Ghost Dog
04-05-2011, 09:36 PM

What HAS happened to Lindsay?

Rance Fan
04-05-2011, 09:54 PM
I reckon a few years ago Lindsay was viewed as the best kick in the competition.
Seemed that ever since that media hype he had gone down hill.
Well....hes still reasonable, just love more goals from him!

bornadog
05-05-2011, 12:20 AM

Hargarve is a beautiful kick of the footy and can roost it , but he does tend to sometimes just kick the ball long out of defence to no one in particular.

jeemak
05-05-2011, 01:02 AM
We're clearly lacking hard and reasonably/genuinely quick runners at the moment in our midfield. I think part of the problem is Cooney's lack of fitness (not sure about effort either, at this stage) and guys like Ward, Higgins and Liberatore not having developed their continued burst fitness due to a lack of pre-season work whether it be due to injury or time at the highest level.

With Griffen and Sherman being the only players in a position to provide this type of run currently we are gonig to be left short, so for the time being the quick kick forward is going to hurt us particularly with an inexperienced set of half forwards in Jones and Grant who still need to work on their anticipation.

A more concerted effort to block for the ball carrier would help though, providing more time to find an option by hand or spot a target by foot - potentially a lateral one. The thing I noticed with Collingwood on the weekend was numbers running in an alomst box formation close to the ball carrier, either providing a block or a handball receive option. We seem to be a long way behind in this respect.

BulldogBelle
05-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Hargarve is a beautiful kick of the footy and can roost it , but he does tend to sometimes just kick the ball long out of defence to no one in particular.

Agree

It frustrates me when our whole team in in the oppositions forward 50m zone.....

A long kick is all we can hope for if our pinpont passing is non existant, and we dont have a Harbrow to run the ball out of defence.

Wouldnt it be better for some of our better clearance players (Boyd, Ward, Griffin etc) to follow either Hudson or Minson- we kick the ball to the ruckman who sits 60 meters from goal, and the better clearance players follow him and hopefully clear the ball that way...

This is done along the boundary line to ensure if we are in trouble we can at least get a stoppage.

bornadog
05-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Last night I watched some of the Collingwood match (only the good bits). I was watching the first 10 minutes of the last quarter where we really had Collingwood under pressure with our own forward press. Several times Collingwood players were pressured in our fwd 50, and guess what, they slammed the ball on their boot in hope, only to find a doggies player marking the ball. This is probably rare for Collingwood but for a moment there we had them under pressure and its amazing what you can do. Unfortunately we didn't do tis for 100% of the game.

Desipura
05-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Last night I watched some of the Collingwood match (only the good bits). I was watching the first 10 minutes of the last quarter where we really had Collingwood under pressure with our own forward press. Several times Collingwood players were pressured in our fwd 50, and guess what, they slammed the ball on their boot in hope, only to find a doggies player marking the ball. This is probably rare for Collingwood but for a moment there we had them under pressure and its amazing what you can do. Unfortunately we didn't do tis for 100% of the game.
Why not?

EasternWest
05-05-2011, 02:33 PM

Why not?

I guess the coach is also wondering

Spot on with that BAD. They were under a lot of pressure, but we were going flat out to apply that pressure. I guess it's physically too hard to maintain.

As to why other teams can apply it for long periods, that's something I bet the coach is wondering.

bornadog
05-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Spot on with that BAD. They were under a lot of pressure, but we were going flat out to apply that pressure. I guess it's physically too hard to maintain.

As to why other teams can apply it for long periods, that's something I bet the coach is wondering.

We had 9 players that had played less than 50 games including 4 first year players. They are not seasoned players and will take a while to develop.

Ghost Dog
05-05-2011, 03:25 PM

Rocket has said, the key to the press is speed and endurance. So unless we are fleet of foot, can't maintain it

Desipura
05-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Rocket has said, the key to the press is speed and endurance. So unless we are fleet of foot, can't maintain it
Gee, I have heard that before;)

Maddog37
05-05-2011, 05:36 PM

So how many Pies players are super quick? I am not sure that too many of them are anything above average.

Desipura
05-05-2011, 05:45 PM
So how many Pies players are super quick? I am not sure that too many of them are anything above average.
Davis, Toovey, Shaw, Didak, Blair, O'Brien & Johnson.
I think what needs to be asked is how many ball carriers do the pies have as opposed to us?

Their whole backline have the ability to run and carry and therefore creating a loose man.
Other than Ball & Jolly, their midfield are all runners.
Compare our ball carriers to theirs and you will see a big difference.

bornadog
05-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Davis, Toovey, Shaw, Didak, Blair, O'Brien & Johnson.
I think what needs to be asked is how many ball carriers do the pies have as opposed to us?

Thier whole backline have the ability to run and carry and therefore creating a loose man.
Other than Ball & Jolly their midfield can do it as well.
Compare our ball carriers to theirs and you will see a big difference.

Our backline is missing Wood and Hargrave who are ball carriers

Desipura
05-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Our backline is missing Wood and Hargrave who are ball carriers
And Lake and Murphy. Currently we have 2 runners out of our backline.

Ghost Dog
05-05-2011, 06:06 PM

Well, Rocket said it * shrugs * They have some pretty fast players. Pendulbry, O'Brien is a racehorse, Brad dick knows how to chase. They're faster and fitter than us at any rate. 6 day break or not.

bornadog
05-05-2011, 06:10 PM
And Lake and Murphy. Currently we have 2 runners out of our backline.

and Stack is back this week;)

EasternWest
05-05-2011, 07:00 PM
We had 9 players that had played less than 50 games including 4 first year players. They are not seasoned players and will take a while to develop.

Hmm. Good point. Hadn't considered that.

Lake Superior
06-05-2011, 12:10 PM
I dont mind the slamming it on the boot however i think they should be able to sum up the situation and either kick it to space, so the opposition need to run to the ball giving time to either set up or someone get to the contest, or kick it high allowing one of our players to get to the contest and nullify it.

Aker was the best at doing this