HB: Lindsay Gilbee, Tom L. Williams, Robert Murphy

C: Daniel Cross, Matthew Boyd, Justin Sherman

HF: Callan Ward, Liam Jones, Josh Hill

F: Jarrad Grant, William Minson, Daniel Giansiracusa

Foll: Ben Hudson, Adam Cooney, Ryan Griffen

I/C: Brennan Stack, Brodie Moles, Mitchell Wallis, Zephaniah Skinner

Emg: Dylan Addison, Nathan Djerrkura, Jayden Schofield

In: Daniel Giansiracusa, Brennan Stack, Ben Hudson, Zephaniah Skinner

Out: Dylan Addison, Brian Lake, Jordan Roughead, Thomas Liberatore (Soreness)

New: Zephaniah Skinner (Northern Territory)

Sydney Swans

B: Martin Mattner, Ted Richards, Andrejs Everitt

HB: Tadhg Kennelly, Heath Grundy, Nicholas Smith

C: Craig Bird, Josh P. Kennedy, Nathan Gordon

HF: Ben McGlynn, Sam Reid, Daniel Hannebery

F: Rhyce Shaw, Adam Goodes, Ryan O'Keefe

Foll: Shane Mumford, Jude Bolton, Jarrad McVeigh

I/C: Jarred Moore, Mike Pyke, Lewis Jetta, Alex Johnson

Emg: Brett Meredith, Lewis Johnston, Luke Parker

Dogmatic
05-05-2011, 06:13 PM
i can't wait to see Skinner take mark of the year in his first game!!!!

LostDoggy
05-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Love it, good luck Skinner!

SlimPickens
05-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Interested to see Stack get a game, didn't think his form a Willy warranted a senior game. Best of luck to Zephi in his first game although I think he'll be the sub which may subdue his debut a little.

Disappointed for Libba although considering the short breaks and the way he plays the game, not surprised he is a little sore.

bornadog
05-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Our 6th game and already we have Libba, Wallis, Markovic, and Skinner debuting. With Schofield, Tutt and maybe Howard to come, this could be the biggest year of débutantes we have had for a very long time.

Add to that DJ, Jones, Stack and Roughead with less than 20 games, plus Vez to come, the future is looking bright.

Dogmatic
05-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Maybe we are taking a leaf out of Collinwood's book and resting players (General Soreness) so that throughout the year we have 26 or 27 players who are match hardened.......or maybe we are just so bad that we need to try different players.

bornadog
05-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Maybe we are taking a leaf out of Collinwood's book and resting players (General Soreness) so that throughout the year we have 26 or 27 players who are match hardened.......or maybe we are just so bad that we need to try different players.

I think the MC is taking the opportunity to try new players. Rocket already mentioned that he will only play players that are 100% and he also mentioned early on he wants to give some young guys a go. Resting Libba is a good idea, he is only 18 years old and being an in and under player can take its toll.

mjp
05-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Anyone else as puzzled by the moves with Stack as I am?

Is his selection this week an acknowledgement that he shouldn't have been dropped or did he do 'something' unrelated to footy that led to the demotion? I don't understand this one.

SlimPickens
05-05-2011, 06:37 PM

Is his selection this week an acknowledgement that he shouldn't have been dropped or did he do 'something' unrelated to footy that led to the demotion? I don't understand this one.

With you on this one.

From what i've heard about his game at Willy, he didn't set the world on fire, nor is there a match up the screams we need Stack in the side.

Maybe Libba being unavailable meant he was the next best option?

bornadog
05-05-2011, 06:42 PM

He shouldn't have been dropped last week, but I guess the MC thought Addison would be a better choice versus Collingwood. As it turned out Addison was not up to the task.

Greystache
05-05-2011, 06:45 PM

No idea either. He didn't play particularly well for Willi on the weekend, he fumbled a couple of times under pressure in defence, then spent the second half across half forward.

LostDoggy
05-05-2011, 06:47 PM
From what i've heard about his game at Willy, he didn't set the world on fire, nor is there a match up the screams we need Stack in the side.

I know he is one for the boo boys but he is hardily the first or last to be promoted without playing well at williamstown. Addison was one last week and Skinner hasn't really set it alight either.
Most claim last week he was unlucky and wasn't required with the tall pies forwards now we lost Lake who at his best provides run out of the backline. Is it that strange?

LostDoggy
05-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Looking forward to watching the Z-Factor!

Spewing Addison didn't put in a better performance, I think he adds good grunt to the side. Hill lucky not to be dropped before Dyl.

Hope Everitt doesn't carve us up.

the banker
05-05-2011, 06:49 PM
MC nothing if not bold. This team looks nothing like I would have predicted pre season. Selecting with the confidence and September in mind.

SlimPickens
05-05-2011, 06:55 PM
I know he is one for the boo boys but he is hardily the first or last to be promoted without playing well at williamstown. Addison was one last week and Skinner hasn't really set it alight either.
Most claim last week he was unlucky and wasn't required with the tall pies forwards now we lost Lake who at his best provides run out of the backline. Is it that strange?

Never commented about Stacks game against Freo because i never saw the game. It does seem strange however that he got dropped from the firsts, plays for Willy and doesn't perform and then gets re-selected when there is no obvious match up.

Maybe it was the MC plan to give him a break along the way

Sedat
05-05-2011, 06:56 PM

Only thing I can think of is the consecutive 6-day turnarounds from Freo to Collingwood to Sydney meant we were going to rest some players for the Collingwood game and bring them back in this week, resting some who played in both matches against Freo and Collingwood.

chef
05-05-2011, 07:01 PM

Nope, he shouldn't have been dropped in the first place and I see it as an acknowledgement of that.

Sedat
05-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Our 6th game and already we have Libba, Wallis, Markovic, and Skinner debuting. With Schofield, Tutt and maybe Howard to come, this could be the biggest year of débutantes we have had for a very long time.

Add to that DJ, Jones, Stack and Roughead with less than 20 games, plus Vez to come, the future is looking bright.
I hope our senior coach gets to share in these spoils in the future. He is making some ballsy decisions this year that are anything but short-term, brave to do this in the last year of a contract.

Doc26
05-05-2011, 07:08 PM

No idea either. He didn't play particularly well for Willi on the weekend, he fumbled a couple of times under pressure in defence, then spent the second half across half forward.

Likewise a bit puzzled. I think Greystache is understating a little Stack's sub par performance and attitude against Coburg last week. Against that opposition he should've burnt it up as both Will and Mitch have been doing. He obviously didn't want to be out there, which I understand and can appreciate, as he gave this appearance and played somewhat dispiritedly. If based simply on last week's performance for Willy, then there was nothing there to suggest he deserved a call up which leads me to believe he was demoted for either matchup or disciplinary reasons.

The Pie Man
05-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Is Skinner a no-brainer for the sub, or am I way off?

I recall Stack playing well in Canberra last year....likely not a consideration for this game, was just a thought that came to me.

LostDoggy
05-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Never commented about Stacks game against Freo because i never saw the game. It does seem strange however that he got dropped from the firsts, plays for Willy and doesn't perform and then gets re-selected when there is no obvious match up.

So I assume you saw williamstown last week? I doubt he is in the side for a specific matchup, I would have thought it's more about his run off hb.

chef
05-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Is Skinner a no-brainer for the sub, or am I way off?

I recall Stack playing well in Canberra last year....likely not a consideration for this game, was just a thought that came to me.

He did.

Greystache
05-05-2011, 07:24 PM
So I assume you saw williamstown last week? I doubt he is in the side for a specific matchup, I would have thought it's more about his run off hb.

No, I was there and we spoke about the game in detail.

I assume from your comments you were there?

LostDoggy
05-05-2011, 07:31 PM
No, I was there and we spoke about the game in detail.

I assume from your comments you were there?

I never commented about the williamstown game. I did see the freo game though.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Gotta say I'm surprised by the inclusion of Skinner. He's had 1 good game for Willy so far, and whilst I'm keen to see the promotion of kids into the team as opportunities arise (and are earned) I do not think that given our current win/loss record that now is the time to be experimenting with someone who could be either hit or very much a miss.

LostDoggy
05-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Maybe guys like Skinner etc.. are doing what the coaching staff want, while not necessarily being stand outs for Williamstown.

It could be possible that these guys are getting games because they want them to play a specific role in the senior team, and they have done everything asked of them by the coaches at Williamstown. Skinner might have had one stand out game, but that doesn't mean the previous weeks he hasn't done what the coaching staff have asked of him, much like what Rocket said about Grant earlier this year.

Who knows what the directive was by the coaches to them.

stefoid
05-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Fair point G38

LostDoggy
05-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Picken going to BP states quite clearly that the Hard Tag role has changed to a defensive/ offensive screen role, in the backline he will be moving laterally across the 40m line in front of the forwards to cut off the ball, this defensive screen works higher up the ground. On the rebound he will provide an offensive screen to block/ pressure the opposition from making tackles or forcing a turnover. How we use Skinner will be interesting, I,d prefer to see him working with Jones as a double lead from the 40 to 50 metre line about 10 metres apart. Minson has to spend some time in the goal square, even if all he does is drag Mumford with him

Another interesting match , again , effective disposals, only kicking to a lead and defensive pressure are the key

The Adelaide Connection
05-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Talk about timing... my Air Zephaniah T-Shirt came today! You bet your arse I will be wearing it to work tomorrow!

lemmon
05-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Anyone brave enough to nominate a sub? Looks set up for Zeph, he might struggle to run out the four quarters but could be a massive handful fresh for a quarter and a half.

Ghost Dog
05-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Gotta say I'm surprised by the inclusion of Skinner. He's had 1 good game for Willy so far, and whilst I'm keen to see the promotion of kids into the team as opportunities arise (and are earned) I do not think that given our current win/loss record that now is the time to be experimenting with someone who could be either hit or very much a miss.

While understanding the cautious mood, Could be a smart move from Rocket IMO. Without having seen him at Willy....
marking and leap aside, NT thunder coaches often commented on his defensive chase.

As a sub, could / should bring in some x-factor. Certainly going to make us unpredictable V Swans.

A minor aside, it's also good chance to keep the public interested in the Bulldogs story. We need the exposure and I don't mind it a bit of fanfare around any young player, as long as we are confident in the long term potential, and the player has the attitude / realizes how much depends on them fufilling the expectations.

Quite a Concern is injury; has broomsticks for legs from the photos I've seen of him
Also, it's a big ground and hope he doesn't gas out.

Good learning experience for the former meat packer, turned tri-colour wunderkind. I'm certainly impressed with the Cahoonas of the MC. Roll the dice.

Rocco Jones
05-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Perhaps he has been earmarked as a sub.

the banker
05-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Zeph could be subbed for Hudson. Minson to carry the bulk of the rucking in crucial final quarter. Hard to see Zeph rucking at all at thus stage? Could he do some of the fwd 50 work?

Go_Dogs
05-05-2011, 09:47 PM

Maybe he was able to stay back West for a few days and spend some time with family and thus didn't get the necessary rehab/preparation?

I think he's a confidence player, so perhaps not playing against Collingwood where the ball would be coming in thick and fast was a reason too. Either way it's good he's getting a few games. When Hargrave and Wood are back you would think Stack moves out of the best 22 - but next year and beyond if he can keep improving he could become an important player off half back.

Surprised to see Skinner given a run, hopefully if nothing else it shows him what's required to make the step up. Would be great if he can improve/contribute and become a factor towards the end of the year.

LostDoggy
05-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Fair point G38

At the end of the day, we supporters may see things differently to the coaching staff, simply because we don't know the inner workings of the club.

bornadog
05-05-2011, 11:35 PM
He did.

Yes kicked three goals

Evel
05-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Great to see Zeph debut, but think it will most likely be as a sub. Can't wait to see Wallis get another full game also, although not dominant last week, he did some nice things and looks to be a smart footballer. Can only get better.

One player yet to be mentioned and who I'll be watching this week is Moles. Did well last year as a rookie and now should get his first full senior game. He's a good size, has pace and can kick over a good distance, attributes the team needs. Hope he takes his chance and works damn hard to keep his spot.

LostDoggy
06-05-2011, 01:06 AM
I am all for bringing young guys in but I fear we may lose this game through too many players with too little experience. I hope I am wrong because kiss goodbye any chance at the top 4 if we lose.

BulldogBelle
06-05-2011, 05:33 AM
I thought that Stack got dropped last week as recognition that he cost us the game against Fremantle. At last, I thought the MC is starting to select with some sense.

Yes he did, he cost us the game, it was at a critical point and he screwed up badly. I was there, I saw it. I experienced the mood of the game. Not interested in reading about excuses such as every body made mistakes etc. Know all that, been there.

Cometh the moment, cometh the man. The moment comethed, but Stack didn'teth.

Ghost Dog
06-05-2011, 08:13 AM
I thought that Stack got dropped last week as recognition that he cost us the game against Fremantle. At last, I thought the MC is starting to select with some sense.

Yes he did, he cost us the game, it was at a critical point and he screwed up badly. I was there, I saw it. I experienced the mood of the game. Not interested in reading about excuses such as every body made mistakes etc. Know all that, been there.

IY humble O

chef
06-05-2011, 08:29 AM

Wasn't it Grants handball to a under pressure Stack that cost us the game?

comrade
06-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Weren't we still leading after the Bradley goal?

Ghost Dog
06-05-2011, 08:58 AM

Wasn't it Gillbee, hunched over who jammed it on the boot not once, but twice to collingwood players that lead to .......
and so on.

LostDoggy
06-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Wasn't it that quick kick out of the back flank by Boyd that went straight to a Freo player late in the last quarter, JC?

LostDoggy
06-05-2011, 09:42 AM
I am intrigued by the new injury type - general soreness.

Seems to have emerged part way through last year.

Is this caused by global warming or something similar?

Can't imagine EJ ever missing a game through "General Soreness"

Libba: Sorry Rocket. I won't be able to play this week!
Rocket: Why?
Libba: I've cracked it for General Soreness!

Dear me!!!!

Desipura
06-05-2011, 10:22 AM
The calls of Skinner to get a game is part of the 20 game rule, the MC obviously follow that same rule. :D

Maddog37
06-05-2011, 10:46 AM
I am all for bringing young guys in but I fear we may lose this game through too many players with too little experience. I hope I am wrong because kiss goodbye any chance at the top 4 if we lose.

Marcov if we took our Dogs supporter hats off and looked at the way we have played and the apparent slowing down of players like Huddo, Hall, Gia and Gilbee (allowances for Lake and Shaggy due to injury) you would surely have to say top four is beyond us at this stage anyway.

Cats, Pies Blues, Freo, Dons and maybe Hawks all look better than us. Things can change for sure but we are more hoping for top4 than anything else........

Ghost Dog
06-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Marcov if we took our Dogs supporter hats off and looked at the way we have played and the apparent slowing down of players like Huddo, Hall, Gia and Gilbee (allowances for Lake and Shaggy due to injury) you would surely have to say top four is beyond us at this stage anyway.

Cats, Pies Blues, Freo, Dons and maybe Hawks all look better than us. Things can change for sure but we are more hoping for top4 than anything else........

Cats Pies yes, but Freo - we should have won that game.
Essendon ran over us pretty convincingly, but disagree that Hawks look better than us. that'll be sorted out when they play us and depends which Hawthorn decides to turn up, but not before.
Collingwood have a crap VFL side and ours is firing, so here's hoping for a wave of injuries to strike them down!

Desipura
06-05-2011, 11:11 AM
I am intrigued by the new injury type - general soreness.

Seems to have emerged part way through last year.

Is this caused by global warming or something similar?

Can't imagine EJ ever missing a game through "General Soreness"

Libba: Sorry Rocket. I won't be able to play this week!
Rocket: Why?
Libba: I've cracked it for General Soreness!

Dear me!!!!

General soreness = hiding an injury/rested/disciplinary reasons we do not want to divulge.

LostDoggy
06-05-2011, 11:14 AM
General soreness = hiding an injury/rested/disciplinary reasons we do not want to divulge.

I think this is more the case, very concerning considering its Higgins.

LostDoggy
06-05-2011, 11:17 AM

I dont disagree with you but any hope can be kissed goodbye if we lose this week.

With our best 22 firing, and yes we are yet to see it, I think only the Pies are definitely better than us. Potentially we can beat any other team. Is there any team that you would say we dont have a chance against? Collingwoood... perhaps. Any other match I reckon we could pull it off.

LostDoggy
06-05-2011, 11:19 AM

Excuses.

Grant was under pressure too, he still managed to handball to Stack who had the same reaction time as the would be tackler to make a decision except he made a dreadful one, couldn't have been any worse really. Most handballs are under pressure.

Mantis
06-05-2011, 11:55 AM
I think this is more the case, very concerning considering its Higgins.

I have heard that Higgins is a very strong chance to return next week.

On Libba you could see he was labouring last week... a weeks rest will do him the world of good.

Cyberdoggie
06-05-2011, 12:32 PM

Perhaps they didn't want to play him against Collingwood?

Cyberdoggie
06-05-2011, 12:34 PM

On Libba you could see he was labouring last week... a weeks rest will do him the world of good.

A good move in my opinion.

Don't want to wear him down too much in his first year.

Desipura
06-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Perhaps they didn't want to play him against Collingwood?

Dennis Cemetti mentioned last year that Stack played all his games against lesser opposition and would get dropped against the stronger teams, perhaps there is more to this.

Templeton31
06-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Just been to training at Manuka Oval. Looks like 22 is as selected - certainly didn't see any players there other than the 22.

SlimPickens
06-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Just been to training at Manuka Oval. Looks like 22 is as selected - certainly didn't see any players there other than the 22.

No back up (23rd player), surprised to see that. Thought it was common practice to take an extra?

LostDoggy
06-05-2011, 05:54 PM

Great to hear on Higgo and agree on Libba, the lad is only 18 I believe.

chef
06-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Excuses.

Grant was under pressure too, he still managed to handball to Stack who had the same reaction time as the would be tackler to make a decision except he made a dreadful one, couldn't have been any worse really. Most handballs are under pressure.

Not excuses, I'm just sick of certain players being the scape goats unfairly. Some people alround here just pick and choose who they want to blame.

Stick it up them Stacky.

LostDoggy
06-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Not excuses, I'm just sick of certain players being the scape goats unfairly. Some people alround here just pick and choose who they want to blame.

Stick it up them Stacky.

I hope he does!

Rocco Jones
06-05-2011, 10:05 PM

I'm a huge fan of your work but doesn't that discredit your opinion for the other 20+ games we play a season?

Templeton31
06-05-2011, 11:34 PM
No back up (23rd player), surprised to see that. Thought it was common practice to take an extra?

It's only a 40min flight so I would've thought even if someone hurt themselves at training or got sick overnight there would still be time to get an emergency up here.

KT31
07-05-2011, 01:06 AM
Good luck to the Zeph.
Hope he becomes a gun.
Although not sure about the selection.

ReLoad
07-05-2011, 08:22 AM
I feel really confident this week, after all we have:

http://jacob.efinke.com/skinner.jpg

mjp
07-05-2011, 09:29 AM

On one level you are right. On many more, you are wrong.

Assigning a loss to a single moment in a game is short-sighted...and allows the group as a whole to absolve themselves of the loss - after all, it was Stacky's fault. It allows the coaching group to absolve themselves of the loss - I mean, if he had only...

I don't like this thinking, it doesn't helpt the idea of team and I always believe that unless skill/decision making errors are being consistently repeated then selection decisions should be made based on players who have not done ANYTHING rather than those who had the courage to ACT but made a mistake.

Against Fremantle we had 9 players with less than 15 possessions (an average score in modern footy) and 14 with less than 3 1%'ers...11 fit into both categories (Stack was in neither). To me, a young kid who offered run and carry and committed to team acts was not the main problem we had that night.

Ghost Dog
07-05-2011, 12:39 PM
On one level you are right. On many more, you are wrong.

Assigning a loss to a single moment in a game is short-sighted...and allows the group as a whole to absolve themselves of the loss - after all, it was Stacky's fault. It allows the coaching group to absolve themselves of the loss - I mean, if he had only...

I don't like this thinking, it doesn't helpt the idea of team and I always believe that unless skill/decision making errors are being consistently repeated then selection decisions should be made based on players who have not done ANYTHING rather than those who had the courage to ACT but made a mistake.

Against Fremantle we had 9 players with less than 15 possessions (an average score in modern footy) and 14 with less than 3 1%'ers...11 fit into both categories (Stack was in neither). To me, a young kid who offered run and carry and committed to team acts was not the main problem we had that night.

Well said MJP.

divvydan
07-05-2011, 12:57 PM
No late changes to either team today.

Benches: Dogs - Wallis, Gilbee, Hill.
Swans - Bird, Jetta, Pyke.

Subs: Skinner, Moore.

LostDoggy
07-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Just heard that Addison may be in for Stack