PDA

View Full Version : Round #7 - Slaps and Sledges

GVGjr
07-05-2011, 09:58 AM
For those who aren't familiar with the Slaps and Sledges thread:

A slap on the back for a job well done by 2 players. (not to be confused with the Woof Player Awards (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9023))
This can be a passage of player or a spirited effort.

A sledge to two players that let down the team. Try and make this constructive critique and not just overly critical.

Provide us with your thoughts on this afternoons game against the Swans.

always right
07-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Slaps:

Ward was hard at it and productive all match
Cooney wasn't great but he took a step in the right direction. We need him kicking goals though
Murphy continued his excellent season
A few kicking clangers but Stack was pretty composed today

Sledges:

Hudson cost us dearly today with turnovers
Liam Jones looks a likely prospect but his kicking really is a worry
Umpires....thought we got nothing our way all match

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Slap- Gia's efforts in the last quarter,- not doubt many will see it otherwise, but he was the only forward as things looked grim in the last who looked like taking a mark.
Slap- Griffen- our only midfielder who is having a great start to the year.

Sledge - Liam Jones- his kicking has gone from bad to worse.
Sledge - Hudson - boy is he tailing off quick or what... very few successful second efforts and his skill leve never a strength has gotten worse, could rarely find a target by foot, now can't find one by hands either.

Ghost Dog
07-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Slap : Murph - as usual
Moles: stepped up a gear
Ryan: Love how he tries to shrug the tackle, doesn't panic.
Gia: Well, showed a bit didn't he.
MC: Took a risk with selections. Rolled the dice.

Sledge - MC: Skinner is not the risk we should have taken! Too cold, ground too big, wrong choice for a sub.
As for the players themselves, I'm sure there'll be sledging a'plenty without me adding to it.
Encouragement to work more closely as a team to pull ourselves out of this.

LostDoggy
07-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Slap:
Brodie, he's coming along and does provide some run.
Murph/Ward, Never stops trying.
Sledge:
Jones, Kicking bad and what he does without the ball (isn't much).
Urgency/ Passion/ Pride/ Heart etc. why have these been omitted?
(Ward, Picken, Murph exceptions).

Ghost Dog
07-05-2011, 05:26 PM
You can have cahoonas the size of bowling balls but if you butcher the ball, you might as well pack your bags.

LostDoggy
07-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Slaps to the backline, Morris & Markovic were very good oh and Molesy for taking the game on, Cal Ward for having the near-hardest head in the AFL

Sledges to Jones - Needs to take some Forward Pressure classes
Stack - Needs to learn how to make better decisions.
Huddo - Not feeling proud wearing the beard shirt at the moment.

LostDoggy
07-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Slaps to the backline, Morris & Markovic were very good oh and Molesy for taking the game on, Cal Ward for having the near-hardest head in the AFL

Sledges to Jones - Needs to take some Forward Pressure classes
Stack - Needs to learn how to make better decisions.
Huddo - Not feeling proud wearing the beard shirt at the moment.

He was one of our best uses of the ball, surely his decision making wasn't that bad?

LostDoggy
07-05-2011, 05:35 PM
He was one of our best uses of the ball, surely his decision making wasn't that bad?

Couple of times I thought it was poor...kicking to...maybe Williams? under pressure..and a couple of quick no looks out of the 50 resulted in goals. But it's only nit-picking im not saying drop him as I think he did better than some, just needs to improve this area imo.

jeemak
07-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Slaps

- Stack, for easily his most productive game
- Cooney, started to run harder this week

Sledges

- Hudson, bordering on obselete. Been a fan of his over the years, but a guy who can't kick needs to be able to handball.
- Team, it takes mental application to execute skill under pressure. We don't have it currently.

choconmientay
07-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Slap:

Brodie Moles for the running goal. It was the highlight of the game

Sledge:

Umpiring decisions. Seems like they want to make up for the mistake they made last week against Sydney :(

bornadog
07-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Slap and sledge - Gia great last quarter to kick two crucial goals, and sledge for missing one at a crucial time.

Slap, Great running goal from Moles.

Slap - Murphy, need two of him, one forward one back

Sledge - Huddo's handpass after marking, straight to Swans who then kicked in into their fwd 50

Sledge - Umpires -Two soft frees to Swans resulting in goals, and one against Murphy in the goal square, then a 50 metre penalty. No consistency in umpiring decisions.

LostDoggy
07-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Slap- Hill - under pressure but a solid effort
Slap- Markovic - extra workload with Lake out, competed well, growing in confidence

Sledge- effective disposals, decision making under pressure, kicking to a lead - AWOL

LostDoggy
07-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Slaps
Gia for standing up, especially in the last quater when we needed a senior player to set an example
Brodie Moles coming along nicely and went to another level today ... adds some good pace.
Sherman is proving to be a good addition to our club
Markovic becoming a solid player .... and a welcome find this year.

Sledges
Big Will for continually having his taps taken the opposition small players.
Sledge to the regular culprits in our team that rack up a zillion possessions and dont make an impact with them. (No need to mention names)

w3design
07-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Slap: stack showed the doubters (me included at times) that there is quality worth building on
Slap: cal wards hard head
Slap : Morris, where would we have been without him

Sledge: cruel signs that the old bearded one (father time) has well and truly got the claws into huddo
Sledge: umpires. Never failed to see the softest touch on the swans, but we were apparently playing a different game where head high contact was ok, Murphy could be legged, etc. As for their ludicrous shepherding interpretation (v gilbee)..we copped it last week too. (obrien and will). Shows no feel for the game at all.
Sledge: fox camera work. We were bewildering enough in our skills and decision making, let alone the appalling shot selection, inability to show what's ahead, etc.

G-Mo77
07-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Slaps: Backline again. Sorry to lump them in as one but without them this would have been a blow out. Great to see Morris get a goal.

Slap: Murphy. Like a fine wine.....

Slap: Gia. Fantastic last quarter and added some much needed polish across the forward line. Slow start but finished off really well. The haters will be quiet although I'm sure they'll find someone else to let fly at this week.

Sledge: Effort. Very little all day from a lot of the players.

Sledge: Blind handpasses. Shakes head

Sledge: MC. Hudson/Minson doesn't work. Minson should get the green light now it's getting close Huddo. :( I was happy to see a pup in Skinner picked but it should not have happened yet.

Sledge: Umpires. Just dismal all day.

Remi Moses
08-05-2011, 03:38 AM
Slaps- Markovic solid again
Ward - worked his arse off all day
Cooney- found some form in particular early
Hill- thought he was good ( one blunder that handpass in the corridor)
Murphy- has to be leading the B&F( gotta be forward)

Sledges- Huddo,unfortunately old father time has caught The Beard
The whole playing group for picking and choosing when they work hard
It's Just Not Good Enough this 10 15 spurts per game!!
Jones - his kicking needs to improve rapidly
Gilbee- What in blazes has happened to Gilbee??
The officiating - Got the raw end of the pineapple today

Remi Moses
08-05-2011, 03:43 AM
Just one more sledge.
Fox Sports don't allow Johnno or Roos do a Doggie or Swans Game!
Please stop Dwayne Pipe giving us useless facts

Hotdog60
08-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Slaps: Backline again. Sorry to lump them in as one but without them this would have been a blow out. Great to see Morris get a goal.

Slap: Murphy. Like a fine wine.....

Slap: Gia. Fantastic last quarter and added some much needed polish across the forward line. Slow start but finished off really well. The haters will be quiet although I'm sure they'll find someone else to let fly at this week.

Sledge: Effort. Very little all day from a lot of the players.

Sledge: Blind handpasses. Shakes head

Sledge: MC. Hudson/Minson doesn't work. Minson should get the green light now it's getting close Huddo. :( I was happy to see a pup in Skinner picked but it should not have happened yet.

Sledge: Umpires. Just dismal all day.

I saw Stack win the ball near the HB boundary line with a couple of Swans with Gilbee, Stack handball over his shoulder into space were it was picked up by the Swans and a goal resulted. The interesting part in this bit of play was that Stack had placed it perfectly for Gilbee to run onto it and clear it up field only Gilbee was stationary in front of the play and didn't get there.

The Coon Dog
08-05-2011, 10:07 AM
I saw Stack win the ball near the HB boundary line with a couple of Swans with Gilbee, Stack handball over his shoulder into space were it was picked up by the Swans and a goal resulted. The interesting part in this bit of play was that Stack had placed it perfectly for Gilbee to run onto it and clear it up field only Gilbee was stationary in front of the play and didn't get there.

That was Josh Hill, not Brennan Stack.

Hotdog60
08-05-2011, 11:02 AM
That was Josh Hill, not Brennan Stack.

Oops, my bad.:o

Ghost Dog
08-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Slaps- Markovic solid again
Ward - worked his arse off all day
Cooney- found some form in particular early
Hill- thought he was good ( one blunder that handpass in the corridor)
Murphy- has to be leading the B&F( gotta be forward)

Sledges- Huddo,unfortunately old father time has caught The Beard
The whole playing group for picking and choosing when they work hard
It's Just Not Good Enough this 10 15 spurts per game!!
Jones - his kicking needs to improve rapidly
Gilbee- What in blazes has happened to Gilbee??
The officiating - Got the raw end of the pineapple today

That's interesting. I like this! Pineapple is usually eaten raw. but I'd say we got the rotten and spikey end of the pineapple.

AndrewP6
08-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Just one more sledge.
Fox Sports don't allow Johnno or Roos do a Doggie or Swans Game!
Please stop Dwayne Pipe giving us useless facts

And non-facts!- "Grundy is going off, he's finished for the afternoon". Shortly thereafter, he came back on.

chef
08-05-2011, 12:39 PM
And non-facts!- "Grundy is going off, he's finished for the afternoon". Shortly thereafter, he came back on.

Mattner;). It was a nice bump from Tommy.

AndrewP6
08-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Mattner;). It was a nice bump from Tommy.
Damnit! See, Dwayne riles me so much I confuse players!! :) Just thought it was funny his immediate response was so definite, and one of the others said they'd go down to the boundary to find out more (obviously not believing him!). And then he (Mattner!:) ) returned - it was miracle-like! ;)

LostDoggy
08-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Slaps -

Marko...contested all day

Murphy....provides run and free flow by the decisions he makes

The comeback...why can't we show this desperation all day?

Dahihaus played well for Willi. Richmond have a few of this type of small forward but I don't know if it can be a solution in finals

Sledges -

Players slipping over

Minson tapping the ball straight to the opposition; Hudson giving it to them

Strange decision to include Skinner as a sub.....no more first gamers there, please.

Players who don't charge through the pack to get the ball but run around it as a first option. We seem to be developing a number of players who don't relish the physical contest

Skills. Do we have a skills coach? Some our handball and kicking is really wayward

2nd and third efforts....players standing spectating with hands on hips after the ball has left the immediate zone. It's what we are doing when we don't have the ball that is a problem. A couple of players appear to drop their bundle when they get beaten in a contest.

Kicking into the forward line - still doing it blindly and hoping.

Templeton31
08-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Slaps
Markovic, Stack - best game I've seen from both of them. We would've been in a lot more trouble without them.
Cooney & especially Griff - trying to take the game on and generate something even when it didnt happen.
Morris - for his goal. Nice one Dale. :)
Ward - kept running and throwing himself in all day.

Sledge
Team - inconsistency of effort/performance. Virtually every player had an impact at some point but went missing for a lot of other periods of time.
Wallis - not quite there yet. Back to Willi.
Team - disposal was fumbly and at best inconsistent.
Team - not enough run and spread. We used to be a team of downhill skiers and now we have gone to the other end.

LostDoggy
08-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Can't win with Skinner, people wanted him in the team early and the expectations were very high. Played like most skinny 1st gamers would and now copping sledges. Need to see his game for what exactly was - a taste for 1st grade football. Will know what expect now in his next game.

GVGjr
08-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Can't win with Skinner, people wanted him in the team early and the expectations were very high. Played like most skinny 1st gamers would and now copping sledges. Need to see his game for what exactly was - a taste for 1st grade football. Will know what expect now in his next game.

He shouldn't be copping a sledge but I don't think he was ready for his promotion. Hopefully he got something positive out of the experience.

ratsmac
09-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Slaps

Murphy - very solid start to the season

Ward - going hard at the ball knowing he going to get crushed. Getting up straight away.

Markovic - Looks like he is playing for the jumper.

Sledges

Every player that handballed it to Minsons feet

Every player barring very few for skill errors and bad decision making.

Umpiries - Terrible all day. They give a fifty against Jones for kicking the ball half a second after the free kick was paid but Sydney thought a free kick was theirs and take the kick but it was Jones' and no fifty, both would have cost us a goal and maybe the match. No f#@$en consistency!

Remi Moses
09-05-2011, 03:16 PM
That's interesting. I like this! Pineapple is usually eaten raw. but I'd say we got the rotten and spikey end of the pineapple.

Semantic's . We got Bent over

LostDoggy
09-05-2011, 06:27 PM

Yes, we got bent over and given a pineapple, sideways

Next week, if we don't work hard enough, the Tiger's will give us a watermelon, sideways

Ghost Dog
09-05-2011, 08:57 PM

A ha! Thanks teach!:D

LostDoggy
09-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Who is the biggest umpire pet? Goodes, Judd or Ablett. Goodes wouldnt and couldn't ever do anything wrong.

LostDoggy
10-05-2011, 02:14 PM
He shouldn't be copping a sledge but I don't think he was ready for his promotion. Hopefully he got something positive out of the experience.

I think most of the sledges have been at the match committee for selecting him obviously too early. I didnt honestly think we would see him until next season, it seemed like a desperate move.

So what do the MC do next week, drop him and hurt his confidence or retain him and potentially hurt it more?

One game seemed to be a good taste for Jarrod Grant, he came back from that disasterous first game after some hard work.

Maddog37
10-05-2011, 02:47 PM
You would hope they said before the game he will get probably only the one game just to have a taste of it and to just enjoy the experience.

If he played well its a bonus. If not, no worries as they were just giving him an idea of what he needs to do.

LostDoggy
10-05-2011, 05:43 PM
You would hope they said before the game he will get probably only the one game just to have a taste of it and to just enjoy the experience.

If he played well its a bonus. If not, no worries as they were just giving him an idea of what he needs to do.

I hope your right but that doesnt sound like the sort of thing you would have people saying at the top level of a sport.

the banker
11-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Who is the biggest umpire pet? Goodes, Judd or Ablett. Goodes wouldnt and couldn't ever do anything wrong.

You forgot Riewoldt. Goodes and Rooey