PDA

View Full Version : Lukas Markovic

bornadog
07-05-2011, 06:29 PM
I have to admit, I watched him last year at Willi and thought he was a wasted pick. I really had my doubts he would make it at AFL level, but I tell you what, I happy to report I was wrong. Lukas has not been beaten once this year and played another good game today. He has seized on his opportunity and taken it with both hands.

If Lake wasn't injured preseason, I wonder if the MC would have given him a go?

Well done Markovic, 6 AFL games and you look like you have played 100.

DOG GOD
07-05-2011, 06:43 PM
See what he does on Jack Roo next week. He will be way too slow if Jack plays from the goal square. But i do agree with you, he had looked ok so far. He's one of the guys that seems to be doing the job thats asked of him.

LostDoggy
07-05-2011, 10:45 PM
See what he does on Jack Roo next week. He will be way too slow if Jack plays from the goal square. But i do agree with you, he had looked ok so far. He's one of the guys that seems to be doing the job thats asked of him.

I think they will play Morris on Jack.

LostDoggy
07-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Against Richmond Markovic will most likely get Miller , the tough match up will be when Richmond rotate Vickery through the forward line .

Yes, Markovic is vulnerable to a quick lead and the kick over his head where he has to turn and chase but his strengths in reading the play and physical positioning in the contest make up for that, each week he builds on what he's learning , it will be tough for him without Lake again but he and Williams work well together

At the moment Markovic and Williams pick themselves in the best 22

1eyedog
07-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Nice field kick and makes good decisions too.

Grantysghost
07-05-2011, 11:34 PM
He is making the most of his ability and has taken his chance. Dont think he is a long term proposition though, and doubt he will play 50 games.

LostDoggy
07-05-2011, 11:40 PM
Against Richmond Markovic will most likely get Miller , the tough match up will be when Richmond rotate Vickery through the forward line .

Yes, Markovic is vulnerable to a quick lead and the kick over his head where he has to turn and chase but his strengths in reading the play and physical positioning in the contest make up for that, each week he builds on what he's learning , it will be tough for him without Lake again but he and Williams work well together

At the moment Markovic and Williams pick themselves in the best 22

Agree not pleased to see Williams on crutches at Canberra airport

always right
08-05-2011, 12:12 AM
He is making the most of his ability and has taken his chance. Dont think he is a long term proposition though, and doubt he will play 50 games.

Can you elaborate? Can you see Picken playing 50 games considering he is also making the most of his ability?

GVGjr
08-05-2011, 12:18 AM

I tend to agree. With a full strength side (Lake, Hargrave and Wood) he would need to reinvent himself as a forward.
Whilst he has done little wrong so far I'm not confident of him getting to 50 games right at this moment.

Hotdog60
08-05-2011, 12:27 AM
I tend to agree. With a full strength side (Lake, Hargrave and Wood) he would need to reinvent himself as a forward.
Whilst he has done little wrong so far I'm not confident of him getting to 50 games right at this moment.

Could he be the Ideal sub, can play back has rucked for Willy and maybe can go forward.

MrMahatma
08-05-2011, 06:22 AM
He's 5+ years younger than Shaggy/Lake though isn't he? I'd be surprised if he didn't still improve somewhat, and thus be a handy defender for us for the next 5 or 6 years. We don't have many years of Lake/Morris/Shaggy all playing together. And injuries are already getting to Lake & Shaggy.

stefoid
08-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Maybe the game has turned in favor of Marcovic? defenders really shouldn't have to deal with large open spaces like they would have when he was first drafted 5 years ago or so.

GVGjr
08-05-2011, 09:45 AM
He's 5+ years younger than Shaggy/Lake though isn't he? I'd be surprised if he didn't still improve somewhat, and thus be a handy defender for us for the next 5 or 6 years. We don't have many years of Lake/Morris/Shaggy all playing together. And injuries are already getting to Lake & Shaggy.

It's just his mobility that makes me wonder if he can easily get to 50 games. Whilst it's hard to fault him at the moment if the likes of Mulligan started to show some improvement I think we would look to a more mobile option. What works in his favor is our list isn't in great shape for emerging talls defenders.

Grantysghost
08-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Can you elaborate? Can you see Picken playing 50 games considering he is also making the most of his ability?

Interesting comparison, i think Picken is actually quite a talented player and more skillfull than alot give him credit for. He is a very good long kick for his size and has good goal sense along with his terrier attitude.
Markovic for mine is a good honest defender who will be on the fringe of selection as he doesn't have a standout afl level quality. I really like his workrate though and would be glad if i got it wrong but i think he wouldn't be in our best back 6, all injuries aside.

LostDoggy
08-05-2011, 11:12 AM
It's just his mobility that makes me wonder if he can easily get to 50 games. Whilst it's hard to fault him at the moment if the likes of Mulligan started to show some improvement I think we would look to a more mobile option. What works in his favor is our list isn't in great shape for emerging talls defenders.

With the structure we want , 1 Full Back/ Swing Defense ( Lake ) , 2 Centre Half Back ( Markovic, Williams ) , Markovic's game is based on reading the play, physical positioning in the contest and workrate , with Lake out his extra workload does expose his perceived lack of mobility but he just increases his workrate, his ability to dispose of the ball by foot on either side of his body means no opponent can zone pressure him on his preferred side ,with the current mental malaise in the side he has been rock solid

Bumper Bulldogs
08-05-2011, 12:13 PM
I think they will play Morris on Jack.

Would we play Tommy gun on Jack, seems to have the motor to go with him, just not sure how he will go that close to goal.

The Underdog
08-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Would we play Tommy gun on Jack, seems to have the motor to go with him, just not sure how he will go that close to goal.

I'd imagine Morris starts on Riewoldt & Williams on Vickery. Markovic isn't really a great match up for either I wouldn't think.

westbulldog
08-05-2011, 09:00 PM
I think Marcovic has done very well thus far, kicks well, and seems to make good decisions on when to spoil. If Richmond's pacy midfield gets the upper hand Riwoldt will kick 6 whoever plays on him.

SonofScray
08-05-2011, 09:11 PM
I think we are getting good value from him at this stage. Has certainly impressed me, plays a style of footy I love to see from a defender. Great concentration and discipline. Really gives it a good go.

However, that he is marking his territory in the 22 probably isn't great for us right now as it highlights how much injuries are killing us and perhaps how little we are getting from our better skilled players in terms of disciplined play. In terms of effort he is in our top couple of players, its one of those "we love a battler" situations. Guys like Markovic, Picken and Morris just work harder, at first because they have to and hopefully it pays off and they keep at it.

DOG GOD
09-05-2011, 10:17 AM
How would Morris play Riewoldt? in front or behind? I feel that if he plays in front, they will bomb it long for jack to come over the top. Isolating Riewoldt in the goal square concerns me as he is a great mark and the smaller size of Morris will be a concern one out.

If Tommy plays and takes Vickery, does Markovic get Millar, coz i cant see any other match up for him.

Mofra
09-05-2011, 10:41 AM
With Lake potentially in decline and some teams loading up with talls in the F50 (ie Saints putting Gilbert forward) he will still have weeks where he is required.
He could be a match-ups player and if he takes over from Lake when he retires (Markovic will be ~28 when Lake's current contract expires) there is no reason why he wouldn't be the next appointed successor to no 1 FB option. It's not like we have any developing tall backman coming through with any confidence they'll make the grade.

Truth be told, many players who get a shot after such a long journey to senior football often surprise. I'd expect Markovic is more likely to have his name on a locker by the end of his career.

stefoid
09-05-2011, 11:00 AM
A defense is more about winning contests and working together than athletic ability. It seems Marco wins contests.

bornadog
09-05-2011, 12:30 PM
With Lake potentially in decline and some teams loading up with talls in the F50 (ie Saints putting Gilbert forward) he will still have weeks where he is required.
He could be a match-ups player and if he takes over from Lake when he retires (Markovic will be ~28 when Lake's current contract expires) there is no reason why he wouldn't be the next appointed successor to no 1 FB option. It's not like we have any developing tall backman coming through with any confidence they'll make the grade.

Truth be told, many players who get a shot after such a long journey to senior football often surprise. I'd expect Markovic is more likely to have his name on a locker by the end of his career.

Some good points Mofra. Morris was also one that was given the opportunity as a mature player and he has been fantastic. As I said in the opening post, so far this season he hasnot been beaten and has played some pretty good forwards, Dawes is no slouch and has been in good form, but hardly touched it against Markovic.

Maddog37
09-05-2011, 03:40 PM
He is starting to take more chances with running off etc too. As he grows in confidence I hope he goes for more marks as well. If he can take marks he will add another dimension to his game and maybe be seen as more than a battler.

bornadog
09-05-2011, 03:52 PM
He is starting to take more chances with running off etc too. As he grows in confidence I hope he goes for more marks as well. If he can take marks he will add another dimension to his game and maybe be seen as more than a battler.

When Harbrow was first put into defense he rarely ran and took players on. Rocket gave him some leeway and said to take them on and as his confidence grew, he began to do it. I know Harbrow has pace, but I am sure as Markovic confidence grows he will be even more valuable to us.

Desipura
09-05-2011, 04:14 PM
He has made a habit of kicking out on the full in almost each game he has played, brought back memories of Peter Quill :D

LostDoggy
09-05-2011, 06:37 PM
He has made a habit of kicking out on the full in almost each game he has played, brought back memories of Peter Quill :D

And that's because we no longer structure to use the corridor, players like Griffen should be dropping back and leading for the ball on the kick in, there is no point having a player break to the sideline then stand stationary to receive the kick , it just increases the chance of a kick out on the full

If everything was going according to plan it should be Gilbee or Murphy kicking the ball to Markovic at the top of the defensive 50 with Griffen in support

JohnGentStand
15-05-2011, 09:53 PM
He has been a massive plus for us
A long way travelled in a very short time

Bumper Bulldogs
15-05-2011, 09:57 PM
He has been a massive plus for us
A long way travelled in a very short time

Fully agree and boy it's been the year we needed him too. I must say he hasn't been smashed yet and I look forward to seeing him in the next month with the likes of Eagles, Hawks and cats coming his way.

LostDoggy
15-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Fully agree and boy it's been the year we needed him too. I must say he hasn't been smashed yet and I look forward to seeing him in the next month with the likes of Eagles, Hawks and cats coming his way.

Hawks will push him. I fully expect Buddy and Evil Roughead to do a number on him, and I won't think worse of him for a moment — they do it to everybody. Definitely one of our best stories this year.

comrade
15-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Hawks will push him. I fully expect Buddy and Evil Roughead to do a number on him, and I won't think worse of him for a moment — they do it to everybody. Definitely one of our best stories this year.

Roughead could either be in the ruck or playing as a key defender.

Bumper Bulldogs
15-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Roughead could either be in the ruck or playing as a key defender.

I bet they are kicking themselves that they let Skipper go, I felt for him last year as he did a good job and they should have kept him on the list,

Sedat
15-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Hawks will push him.
He should (and would) be playing for them right now. Thankfully the Hawks decided to take a punt on Rhan Hooper in the 09 ND, allowing us to steal Markovic from the Hawks' own backyard.

He is no frills but has superb timing and possesses an excellent spoiling technique. A real find for us in an otherwise poor ND.

Mantis
17-05-2011, 10:50 AM
He is no frills but has superb timing and possesses an excellent spoiling technique. A real find for us in an otherwise poor ND.

Isn't it to early to make that call?

Sedat
17-05-2011, 12:35 PM
The 'real find' part or the 'poor ND' part? The poor ND call is a little early but it is heavily reliant on Howard and Tutt making it, and the early signs there are slow.

Markovic is handling a difficult role very well this season to date and has provided us with crucial cover for Lake but hass now added some genuine flexibility to our structure for when Lake and Williams return. He hasn't been burnt by any opponent as yet, so the signs are very promising that he can continue to perform in this role and add flexibility and unpredictibility to our line-up.

Mofra
17-05-2011, 01:13 PM
His bodywork is supurb, often he doesn't have to work too hard on the spoil because he's done most of the hard work before the ball is in the area.
Footballer first, athlete second.

always right
17-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Far and away the best contest killer in our side. His timing is sweet when it comes spoils....makes a real statement. He's been the surprise packet of the season for us.

He could teach Tommy a fiar bit when it come to making an agressive spoil. Tom tends to put up the fist in hope rather than confidence.

bornadog
17-05-2011, 02:00 PM
He could teach Tommy a fiar bit when it come to making an agressive spoil. Tom tends to put up the fist in hope rather than confidence.

I can't agree with that stetment. I think Tommy has been very good this year and really hasn't been beaten . I have never seen him as confident this season compared to the past.

Sockeye Salmon
17-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Far and away the best contest killer in our side. His timing is sweet when it comes spoils....makes a real statement. He's been the surprise packet of the season for us.

Dale Morris says hi.

Maddog37
17-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Brian is the best contest killer. He marks the ball. Contest over!

When he is on song the forwards are that worried about where Brian is they are beaten before the ball comes.

He is not dead. Just injured. I am amazed how quickly people have forgotten just how great he has been the last couple of years.

strebla
17-05-2011, 04:10 PM
What a great dilemma a fit Lake,Williams and Markovic give us come september if these three are fit and firing we could see lake play the Chris Grant role from back to forward leaving teams to wonder how do we match him uo
. Markovics form really has given us some food for thought in the future.

Sockeye Salmon
17-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Brian is the best contest killer. He marks the ball. Contest over!

When he is on song the forwards are that worried about where Brian is they are beaten before the ball comes.

He is not dead. Just injured. I am amazed how quickly people have forgotten just how great he has been the last couple of years.

No question about that but at a guess, I think Brian would get outmarked more often than Dale. Certainly on the lead it's rare these days that a defender can spoil without giving away a free, but Dale is one of very few in the comp who can do it.

Ghost Dog
17-05-2011, 04:35 PM
It's natural that backs get less wrap than fowards. Sad but true.
I was going over some Bulldogs games in my head as I was in the pool the other day ( as you do, as you do ) and remembered that game he had V Hawthorn last season. Described by clarkeson as a 'purple patch'. Absolute delight watching him maul Buddy and spit out their inside 50s. Ahhh I'm getting all nostalgic.

always right
17-05-2011, 06:55 PM
I can't agree with that stetment. I think Tommy has been very good this year and really hasn't been beaten . I have never seen him as confident this season compared to the past.

I'm a Tommy fan and I think he has been pretty solid this year. I just don't think spoiling is his greatest strength. Needs to do it with more attitude and intent.

always right
17-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Dale Morris says hi.

I'm referring to the manner in which Marcovic spoils. He's not in the same class as Morris but when he makes a spoil he generally hits it so sweetly that the ball clears the area and often over the boundary line. Eliminates any possibility that the spoil will go to an opposition small forward crumbing the contest.

Pedro Sanchez
17-05-2011, 07:10 PM
He shows signs he’s a similar mould as Morry Morris... Focuses on doing all the little things well and combines this with a super hard work ethic. With luck, he turns out to have a similar career to the number 38 too! Hope he continues to kick on...

Next – Mulligan...

Ghost Dog
18-05-2011, 12:39 AM
I loved the way Marco tried to crash through the pack at one point, rugby style. He got caught, but who cares. Gutsy player and I love this kid.

Mofra
18-05-2011, 10:27 AM
He shows signs he’s a similar mould as Morry Morris... Focuses on doing all the little things well and combines this with a super hard work ethic.
He'll never have Morris' flexibility to play small and tall, but he does have better disposal. Beautiful kick, especially for a guy his size.

LostDoggy
18-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Cant see a problem with Lake, Markovic and Williams being in the same team. I recall too well hearing the commentators saying for what seemed like years "The Bulldogs arent tall enough down back to be a threat".

Mantis
19-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Cant see a problem with Lake, Markovic and Williams being in the same team. I recall too well hearing the commentators saying for what seemed like years "The Bulldogs arent tall enough down back to be a threat".

That was because Williams was always injured.

Murphy'sLore
19-05-2011, 04:23 PM
That was because Williams was always injured.

Touch wood.

mjp
19-05-2011, 07:10 PM

Sounds like 2008. Then in 2009 that was forgotten and we were too small up forward. So in 2010 we had Hall and we STILL lost the prelim.

LostDoggy
19-05-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm talking the late 90's even. We had blokes like Southern and Kretiuk trying to play tall all the time.

Dazza
19-05-2011, 09:37 PM
You'd assume he'd keep his spot in the 22 all year. Leading the team in 1%ers. Really enjoying watching him play this year. Goes hard at it. Nullifies most contests and is a reliable user of the ball.

Mofra
20-05-2011, 10:47 AM
You'd assume he'd keep his spot in the 22 all year. Leading the team in 1%ers. Really enjoying watching him play this year. Goes hard at it. Nullifies most contests and is a reliable user of the ball.
Fair effort for a bloke who was only meant to play 1 or 2 games until Lake got fit.

Some players just grasp any opportunity they can and run with it. Anyone who questioned his ability to play at AFL level due to pace (myself included) are quite happily eating humble pie given his efforts so far this year.

Desipura
20-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Fair effort for a bloke who was only meant to play 1 or 2 games until Lake got fit.

Some players just grasp any opportunity they can and run with it. Anyone who questioned his ability to play at AFL level due to pace (myself included) are quite happily eating humble pie given his efforts so far this year.
He has been very solid down back. I need to see him in 12 months time before I am convinced about his longevity at senior level.

stefoid
20-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Nah, Im convinced. The era of congested forward lines does a lot to hide his pace and agility issues. Hed be burnt off by a quick agile forward in a pagans paddock situation, but that doesnt happen much these days.

w3design
20-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Lukas will be 100 gamer the kid tries his heart out like Picken if we had a team like these 2 we would win the flag.

JohnGentStand
20-05-2011, 09:19 PM
big test for him this week
i dont think he will get much help in the contests and whoever he plays on is in form.
if he passes this week - i think he will win many more fans besides me

KT31
23-05-2011, 11:47 AM
big test for him this week
i dont think he will get much help in the contests and whoever he plays on is in form.
if he passes this week - i think he will win many more fans besides me

Don't think he won to many fans this week JGS.

bornadog
23-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Do you think if Lake comes back in, Lukas can be switched to the 2nd ruck role and maybe with some help from Jones in the forward line?

LostDoggy
24-05-2011, 12:08 AM

I think you may find it was Pop Gun Tommy that did the most damage yesterday.

Mofra
24-05-2011, 11:13 AM
GFiven oru lack of midfield pressure he barely had a chance.
Was definately beaten in two one on ones with Kennedy - one he started from well out of position. Josh is a very, very good footballer.

BulldogBelle
24-05-2011, 11:26 AM
GFiven oru lack of midfield pressure he barely had a chance.
Was definately beaten in two one on ones with Kennedy - one he started from well out of position. Josh is a very, very good footballer.

Josh appears significantly larger and stronger than Lucas

Bit hard to win every contest when the ball was being constantly bombarded into the F50 and he was left 1 on 1 without any support against a far more experienced opponent

Will be better for the experience

ratsmac
25-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Josh appears significantly larger and stronger than Lucas

Bit hard to win every contest when the ball was being constantly bombarded into the F50 and he was left 1 on 1 without any support against a far more experienced opponent

Will be better for the experience

I felt sorry for Markovic on Sunday. He was made to look silly at times. He deserves better for what he has given us this year in the absence of Lake.

LostDoggy
25-05-2011, 02:43 PM
I felt sorry for Markovic on Sunday. He was made to look silly at times. He deserves better for what he has given us this year in the absence of Lake.

..and he'll learn. He's a 24 y.o with the AFL experience of a 19 y.o. He doesn't deserve better, he owes it to himself to learn from this a perform better in the future, hopefully with a little help from the midfield.

Maddog37
12-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Bump.

Reckon this bloke has flown under the radar. Looking like a very good draft smokey(stealing from the Hawks earns bonus points) and a good option for resting ruck.

Looks more assured every game he plays. May never be a champion but really love his endeavour and aerial ability.

DragzLS1
12-07-2011, 05:49 PM
I like him, I like him alot :) Think he is gaining more and more confidence each game and is looking like he could be a solid player for us in the very near future!

always right
12-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Yep...he just needs to eliminate some of those disposal clangers. Doesn't happen often but you sure notice it when he does. Happened again in the first quarter on Sunday when he kicked straight to Judd who fortunately missed the goal. Anyone notice how Marko appears to be a far more competent kick on his non-preferred side?

On the plus side, he is one sweet spoiler.

1eyedog
12-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Bump.

Reckon this bloke has flown under the radar. Looking like a very good draft smokey(stealing from the Hawks earns bonus points) and a good option for resting ruck.

Looks more assured every game he plays. May never be a champion but really love his endeavour and aerial ability.

A Presti type?

Maddog37
13-07-2011, 09:32 AM
A Presti type?

Yes but maybe a bit slower but with better kicking skills.

1eyedog
13-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Yes but maybe a bit slower but with better kicking skills.

Yes. I was surprised how well he kicks the ball over middle to long distances.

Mantis
13-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Anyone notice how Marko appears to be a far more competent kick on his non-preferred side?

I had heard that he is a left hander which I guess makes the ball drop onto his left foot a little easier.

His lack of pace is a concern as can get found out at times, but over the course of the season he has filled in pretty well.

w3design
13-07-2011, 10:44 AM
I know he is older than they were on debut but you would compare his first few games very favorably with early indications from Lake and Williams. You can see he still lacks a bit of confidence, but there is a lot of upside to come.

Mantis
13-07-2011, 10:47 AM
I know he is older than they were on debut but you would compare his first few games very favorably with early indications from Lake and Williams. You can see he still lacks a bit of confidence, but there is a lot of upside to come.

What do you see in regard to this 'upside'?

Mofra
13-07-2011, 11:01 AM
His lack of pace is a concern as can get found out at times, but over the course of the season he has filled in pretty well.
The zone defence really helps him in this regard - generally he's only beaten on the lead.
Certainly don't get nervous when the ball's in his hand.

w3design
13-07-2011, 11:04 AM
What do you see in regard to this 'upside'?

Just meaning that his weaknesses are more in judgement and confidence, and having only played a handful of games, he can improve those with each game.

An aside: how fantastic has Dale morris' year been? He has been shouldering so much responsibility as the grand old man of the back line, yet every week beats his man (usually the most dangerous forward) and does the little things that mean guys like Murphy can strut their stuff. I guess the Dale-love is deserving of its own thread, but my excuse is that in terms of marko's upside, well, learning alongside Dale would be a great help.

Mantis
13-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Just meaning that his weaknesses are more in judgement and confidence, and having only played a handful of games, he can improve those with each game..

I see lack of acceleration being a problem against the best. He looks to be getting a fair bit out of himself so we will watch with interest how he goes over coming weeks/ years.

An aside: how fantastic has Dale morris' year been? He has been shouldering so much responsibility as the grand old man of the back line, yet every week beats his man (usually the most dangerous forward) and does the little things that mean guys like Murphy can strut their stuff. I guess the Dale-love is deserving of its own thread, but my excuse is that in terms of marko's upside, well, learning alongside Dale would be a great help.

And yep Dale has been an absolute rock this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes very high in our B&F... He just doesn't get beat.

w3design
13-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Good point about lack of acceleration. He's not exactly slow, but one paced.

LostDoggy
13-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Good point about lack of acceleration. He's not exactly slow, but one paced.

Yet from the little I've seen of him this year he's rarely caught out of position and has generally been able to make the spoil. Having never been a quick player he's probably compensated his entire career by having to think ahead of his opponent, and has pretty good footy smarts (which you can see in his generally good decision making when distributing the ball). Like others have said, his kind of player is ideally suited to the zone, where positioning and spatial intelligence is as important as sheer atheleticism.

Having said that, he's a completely different player from the one I saw play for Willy last year; he was clearly a step above the VFL even then, but just didn't seem to have the tools for AFL -- but having an injury-free run at it has probably made a world of difference. I seriously had my doubts, but happy to be wrong on this one!

Curly5
13-07-2011, 01:39 PM
I see lack of acceleration being a problem against the best. He looks to be getting a fair bit out of himself so we will watch with interest how he goes over coming weeks/ years.

And yep Dale has been an absolute rock this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes very high in our B&F... He just doesn't get beat.

Rocket was asked about our B&F, wasn't he? - mentioned Griffen and Boyd and one other polling well, can't remember who, but it wasn't Dale :(

It would be a travesty if he's not top 3.

Bulldog4life
13-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Rocket was asked about our B&F, wasn't he? - mentioned Griffen and Boyd and one other polling well, can't remember who, but it wasn't Dale :(

It would be a travesty if he's not top 3.

The other he mentioned was Murph.

Desipura
13-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Do you think if Lake comes back in, Lukas can be switched to the 2nd ruck role and maybe with some help from Jones in the forward line?
Why are we going back to playing players that are not in form? We tried this early in the season and failed, we are currently winning games, we do not have to take such drastic action.

LostDoggy
16-07-2011, 09:52 PM
I like Markovic. He seems to add some assurance down back when he plays.

bornadog
17-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Why are we going back to playing players that are not in form? We tried this early in the season and failed, we are currently winning games, we do not have to take such drastic action.

Hey Desi, I posted that comment two months ago, your a little behind in your reading of the forum::p

LostDoggy
17-07-2011, 12:50 PM
I like Markovic. He seems to add some assurance down back when he plays.

What moves him up from being a useful player to a vital cog is his confidence on both sides of his body , he has only committed 13 clangers , given away only 5 free kicks , is ranked third in the Club on 1% percenters behind Williams and Morris , his disposal efficiency is 72%

Williams was outstanding against Carlton and Markovic played his part as the vital cog in support , his body contact clean spoiling calmness and ability to read the play means that while Lake is getting back to full match fitness we have a more than capable replacement who will give Lake a real fight for the FB position

LostDoggy
17-07-2011, 03:38 PM
What moves him up from being a useful player to a vital cog is his confidence on both sides of his body , he has only committed 13 clangers , given away only 5 free kicks , is ranked third in the Club on 1% percenters behind Williams and Morris , his disposal efficiency is 72%

Williams was outstanding against Carlton and Markovic played his part as the vital cog in support , his body contact clean spoiling calmness and ability to read the play means that while Lake is getting back to full match fitness we have a more than capable replacement who will give Lake a real fight for the FB position

Does anybody think Lake, Williams, Morris and Markovic could all play in the same backline?

ledge
17-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Does anybody think Lake, Williams, Morris and Markovic could all play in the same backline?

Depends who your playing.. Hawks with Roughy and Franklin playing maybe.

LostDoggy
17-07-2011, 05:31 PM

I dont think it is something we need to debate this year. Brian doesnt appear to be on the radar as he cant even get on the ground for Willi at the moment.

Mofra
18-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Morris can play small, Williams & Lake can play on mid/quick players. Markovic can't play on leading types, he's much better against the body contact/stand and wrestle types.

Cyberdoggie
18-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Morris can play small, Williams & Lake can play on mid/quick players. Markovic can't play on leading types, he's much better against the body contact/stand and wrestle types.

Williams struggles against anyone of any real quality in my opinion.

Petrie tore him a new one, and we simply had no one else suitable to even try on him.

Sure i can understand Petrie is a bigger player and that he would beat Williams in the strength contests, but Williams was out paced and out matched. Really dissapointing follow up from last week on a player that consistently smashes us when he's in form.

Hopefully Williams can show something more next week.

the banker
18-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Only if Lake is the Quarterback who double tags. Morris can play small.

To our great misfortune we are unlikely to have this problem in the near future.

stefoid
18-07-2011, 02:51 PM
The annoying thing about Williams game was that he became totally reactive thus ensuring Petrie would dominate him.

If the guy is pulling in some marks on you, why not try something different like standing 10m in front of him, or whacking him in the guts all the time to make him mad, or if he is going to beat you to the mark, smash into him to make him earn it and not be so confident the next time he goes to mark it... or SOMETHING!

and the coach... Hall often has two guys on him because he is easily our most dangerous forward. Is it illegal for us to do the same thing? Why not put Marcovic on Petrie for the bodywork and have Williams or Wood playing loose to go third man up and block his space? OR SOMETHING!

The guy had 9 shots on goal FFS!

LostDoggy
18-07-2011, 04:49 PM
The annoying thing about Williams game was that he became totally reactive thus ensuring Petrie would dominate him.

If the guy is pulling in some marks on you, why not try something different like standing 10m in front of him, or whacking him in the guts all the time to make him mad, or if he is going to beat you to the mark, smash into him to make him earn it and not be so confident the next time he goes to mark it... or SOMETHING!

and the coach... Hall often has two guys on him because he is easily our most dangerous forward. Is it illegal for us to do the same thing? Why not put Marcovic on Petrie for the bodywork and have Williams or Wood playing loose to go third man up and block his space? OR SOMETHING!

The guy had 9 shots on goal FFS!

If he came into the huddle and got blasted by the coaching staff, he's not going to go back out there and try something different.

Out-coached, is what we were. I'll only lay half the blame with Williams.

Sockeye Salmon
18-07-2011, 04:51 PM
In Williams defense Petrie got some pretty good service

stefoid
18-07-2011, 06:01 PM
In Williams defense Petrie got some pretty good service

So where was our chop out player on their most dangerous forward then? Apparently that is one of Hills strengths? Hello coaches.....?

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 12:55 PM
So where was our chop out player on their most dangerous forward then? Apparently that is one of Hills strengths? Hello coaches.....?

The service Petrie was getting in the last 10 mins was on the no-pressure turnover by our mids, when most of our team was already in transition to attack (especially since we were desperate to get a score on the board). Pretty hard to get a third man back in those situations, although, as you say, perhaps there could have been better instructions to our defence re: transition. Williams was left exposed, and may have done better in some situations, but Petrie is a class player left one-on-one. If Williams is to blame, every single on of our mids giving up a turnover under little to no physical pressure (yes, there was scoreboard pressure, but our leaders should be better than that) should share as much or more of the blame.

Hall was chopping his opponent up one-on-one too whenever we forced the turnover and got a quick kick back in his direction before North could structure up. That's why these gun forwards get paid the big bucks -- I don't care who the backman is, they are pretty damn hard to stop with the ball being laid on a plate by the likes of Wells and Harvey.