PDA

View Full Version : Coach??

LostDoggy
07-05-2011, 09:09 PM
At the risk of getting shot down, I think it is only fair that at this point of the season, and Rocket's career at the Dogs, that we seriously consider the reality that we may have a new coach next year.

So what are the odds of Rocket staying on and who do you think may be an option to replace him?

Danny the snakeman
07-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Time for Mick to come back to the kennel.(tho doubt we can afford him)

Rance Fan
07-05-2011, 09:14 PM
0%
Options
Malthouse -
Get a game plan and kick some players butt

kruder
07-05-2011, 09:29 PM
The media will start the ball rolling next week if we loose to richmond. I've said this before but I believe eade will not be coaching next year( add monty and williams to that list). There is somthing rotten at the bulldogs. There is a lack of spirt and effort from the majority and the gameplan is outdated. Today we cant blame hill(excellent I thought) and stack for the loss and the back stops with the coaching staff and senior group.

One thing i will praise eade about though, is that he is under the pump yet he is playing some kids which is good to see.

Hotdog60
07-05-2011, 09:34 PM
I'd try and get Mathews out of retirement before Malthouse.

But I would like Rocket to stay, he has done a very good job at the dogs and try and find a better coaching record for the dogs in the last 30 years.

He can have a down year, give him the next year to see how things progress. Who's to say that we won't come good, if we go on a winning streak are you all going to retract your statements.

Remi Moses
07-05-2011, 09:50 PM
I wanna know when the players are going to step up?
It's always the coach but saying that when your players don't work the other way hard enough, questions need to be asked. Worrying thing is we drift into occasional spurts of hard good Footy then fall alarmingly.

LostDoggy
07-05-2011, 10:53 PM
I'd try and get Mathews out of retirement before Malthouse.
But I would like Rocket to stay, he has done a very good job at the dogs and try and find a better coaching record for the dogs in the last 30 years.

He can have a down year, give him the next year to see how things progress. Who's to say that we won't come good, if we go on a winning streak are you all going to retract your statements.

At least Leigh and the players can sit around and talk about how much they hate Aker....!

Hotdog60
07-05-2011, 11:15 PM
At least Leigh and the players can sit around and talk about how much they hate Aker....!

True they can:) But Leigh has 4 premierships to his name and would be cheaper than Malthouse.

Remi Moses
07-05-2011, 11:18 PM
True they can:) But Leigh has 4 premierships to his name and would be cheaper than Malthouse.

No hope in Hell, Matthews is done.Tip would be Leon Cameron

1eyedog
07-05-2011, 11:25 PM
If the season goes completely pear-shaped and the upper echelon decide they want a change I would go with a young coach and a older, experienced coach ala Essendon. I would have Grant take the reins and invite a Neale Danier type over.

Grantysghost
07-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Thought Rockets quarter time "Rocket" aimed at Stack and Williams was petulant and unprofessional. Having said that i think he is a good coach and the best value for money we can get. Dont like the thought of the realistic candidates we can afford eg Dean Laidley, Chris Connolly.

Defensive gameplan is killing us....

Hotdog60
07-05-2011, 11:30 PM

Cameron would be interesting or how about German? I would rather Eade get a 1 year deal to see if he can turn things around. But in saying that it is still too early to be hanging the coach, we have a good draw for the second half we just need to stay in touch this half.

GVGjr
07-05-2011, 11:33 PM

I don't think Cameron is the answer but would be interested in why you rate him?

AndrewP6
07-05-2011, 11:50 PM
This question has been on my mind lately, with our form being so down. Whilst I like Eade, and think he should stay on for at least another year, I can see the possibility of those in high places wanting a change. Unless a significant turnaround takes place soonish, I can see them looking elsewhere, with the jungle drums beating louder by the day (which I think would be a shame). Not sure on options, maybe someone new like Cameron (well, new to the head coaching job!).

AndrewP6
07-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Thought Rockets quarter time "Rocket" aimed at Stack and Williams was petulant and unprofessional.

I thought it was well-deserved and right on the money. The guy's job is on the line, and they make terrible (often basic) errors time and again? I'd go off too.

angelopetraglia
08-05-2011, 12:07 AM
If we lose next week and go 2 and 5, the heat on Eade will almost be unbearable. It will get very, very ugly in a hurry. The media will sniff blood and go for the kill.

always right
08-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Thought Rockets quarter time "Rocket" aimed at Stack and Williams was petulant and unprofessional. Having said that i think he is a good coach and the best value for money we can get. Dont like the thought of the realistic candidates we can afford eg Dean Laidley, Chris Connolly.

Defensive gameplan is killing us....

Why was he upset and what did he say for you to class it as petulant?

LostDoggy
08-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Cameron would be interesting or how about German? I would rather Eade get a 1 year deal to see if he can turn things around. But in saying that it is still too early to be hanging the coach, we have a good draw for the second half we just need to stay in touch this half.

This guy CAN coach too.
Has come through some ranks, seen a lot, knows football. Probably wont be too far off saying he'll be at the helm of a AFL club one day.

FrediKanoute
08-05-2011, 12:43 AM
Sometimes sacking he coach is the easy option.......We have had 3 losses in a row. 2 of those losses were by just over a goal. In a game of footy the bounce of the ball just hasn't gone our way. We have an injury list which is not long, but unfortunately contains key players for us in Lake, Hargrave, Hall, Higgins.

As for getting Malthouse back to the club......my opinions are known, I wouldnt welcome anyone back to the club who walked out in 1989. Yes he has overseen Colingwood become a good team, but honestly with their budget I think most coaches, Rocket included could have achieved what he has achieved.

Matthews....would be a better choice, but I think that the game needs new blood. New younger coaches who have played the game in the last decade. For me we missed a trick not getting a guy like Hardwick. With our list he would have done wonders. I'm not sold on Cameron, but think Monty could be a good option, though German for mine is an AFL coach in waiting.

bornadog
08-05-2011, 01:44 AM
As for getting Malthouse back to the club......my opinions are known, I wouldnt welcome anyone back to the club who walked out in 1989.

Matthews....would be a better choice, but I think that the game needs new blood.

Agree on Malthouse, the way he walked out was unforgivable. Matthews is a has been.

Who should coach us, lets decide at the end of the year.

Remi Moses
08-05-2011, 01:47 AM
I don't think Cameron is the answer but would be interested in why you rate him?

just a gut feel. Personally I rate Eade, but if the year goes haywire there will be a change

kruder
08-05-2011, 02:07 AM
Brendan McCartney and potentially Ken Hinkley will be at the top of the untried list.

Choco Williams, Roos and Moulthouse will all be looked at.

chef
08-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Mark Neeld for me.

LostDoggy
08-05-2011, 09:38 AM
We are asking if we want Rod but does Rod even want to continue with us?
Must be frustrating, knowing what can be achieved but your players lack effort for two qtrs and we lose by a couple of kicks.

LostDoggy
08-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Must change my signature...

AndrewP6
08-05-2011, 12:28 PM
We are asking if we want Rod but does Rod even want to continue with us?
Must be frustrating, knowing what can be achieved but your players lack effort for two qtrs and we lose by a couple of kicks.

Going by his responses every time he's asked about it, yes.

DOG GOD
08-05-2011, 12:35 PM
It wil be very interesting if Smorgon and the board stick to their guns. Smorgon said a GF appearance is the pass mark, and right now we are a LONGGGGGG way from even top 4.

azabob
08-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Going by his responses every time he's asked about it, yes.

He won't come out and publicly say he doesn't want to coach.

AndrewP6
08-05-2011, 12:39 PM
He won't come out and publicly say he doesn't want to coach.

But that's all we can go by, unless someone is hearing his private conversations. The way I see it, he's been asked numerous times, and his answer hasn't wavered. I'm prepared to take him at his word.

azabob
08-05-2011, 12:42 PM
But that's all we can go by, unless someone is hearing his private conversations. The way I see it, he's been asked numerous times, and his answer hasn't wavered. I'm prepared to take him at his word.

Yeah me to. Eade is a career coach if he leaves us without a flag it most likely will be hard for him to get another top job.

Ghost Dog
08-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Must change my signature...

Just change the 1 to a 2
I must say MarcoV - you've had that username for sometime now. You must feel very chuffed with how Marcovic is travelling. For two weeks now, have read and heard the coach single him out for praise.

EasternWest
08-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Just change the 1 to a 2
I must say MarcoV - you've had that username for sometime now. You must feel very chuffed with how Marcovic is travelling. For two weeks now, have read and heard the coach single him out for praise.

Markovic is spelt with a k, GD.

Geez, and I've only just got past the Griffin thing:D.

Bumper Bulldogs
08-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Sometimes sacking he coach is the easy option.......We have had 3 losses in a row. 2 of those losses were by just over a goal. In a game of footy the bounce of the ball just hasn't gone our way. We have an injury list which is not long, but unfortunately contains key players for us in Lake, Hargrave, Hall, Higgins.

Spot on I like the mans style and think he has done a fantastic job with the dogs. I would like to see him keep things like "Lake" in house as we don't need to see cracks developing.

I really don't think that people understand the importance of a pre-season and we had 13 guys have an interrupted one and these are mostly in our best 22. We'll come good and beat Richmond this week and get the season back on track.

I think the attacking style we have is very dangerous we just need the fitness and confidence to get back to it.

I'll be disappointed if Rocket is not at the kennel next year.

Flamethrower
08-05-2011, 02:35 PM
It wil be very interesting if Smorgon and the board stick to their guns. Smorgon said a GF appearance is the pass mark, and right now we are a LONGGGGGG way from even top 4.

David never said that Rocket had to get the Bulldogs into the Grand Final to retain his position, it was how the media filth interpreted it.

David said that if everything goes to plan, his pass mark (and that of the Bulldogs members) should be a GF appearance after 3 straight PF losses. So far this season has been one setback after another, and very little has been Rocket's fault.

If Rocket decides to leave, I thing we should offer Paul Roos a 5 year, $7.5 million contract. It would cost double that to get Malthouse, after his contract for the next 3 years is bought out.

If Rocket wants to stay, keep him and continue to develop Peter German at Williamstown, or as an assistant, as a possible future replacement.

AndrewP6
08-05-2011, 06:58 PM
spot on i like the mans style and think he has done a fantastic job with the dogs.

I'll be disappointed if rocket is not at the kennel next year.

x 2 :)

Rocco Jones
08-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Agree on Malthouse, the way he walked out was unforgivable. Matthews is a has been.

Who should coach us, lets decide at the end of the year.

I agree but it looks like Eade might be too.

I'm pretty sure I can forgive a guy who left a well and truly sinking ship 22 years ago if it helps us win a flag.

LostDoggy
08-05-2011, 07:14 PM
x 2 :)

It's too early to call. If things really fall apart from here on in rightly or wrongly he will come under the pump. He's done a good job but I heard someone say the other day that with the talent on our list they should be making prelims the last few years anyway, no matter who was coaching. Sadly there is possibly some truth in that.

AndrewP6
08-05-2011, 07:21 PM
It's too early to call. If things really fall apart from here on in rightly or wrongly he will come under the pump. He's done a good job but I heard someone say the other day that with the talent on our list they should be making prelims the last few years anyway, no matter who was coaching. Sadly there is possibly some truth in that.

Don't disagree that he will come under further pressure if things don't turnaround. Just saying I'll be disappointed if that happens.

Ghost Dog
08-05-2011, 10:03 PM
How about getting Rocket More support. Do we need more brains in the coaching box?
IMO the poor way the sub has been handled is a prime example. When half this forum is screaming out the glaringly obvious, why can't Rocket see it?

w3design
08-05-2011, 10:22 PM
I think eade has been great for us and this post doesn't mean I think he should be sacked..but one thing I query are his old style rants at the players. When they showed him giving it to Stack, the kid looked petrified. Whatever stack's merits or deficiencies he does not strike me as a cocky over-confident sort of guy. To be lambasted like that, and then have to go back out on the back line, where he has a role as a creative half back (implying he must play with a bit of dash and daring)..well I just wonder if that is the right kind of tactic. New style coaches use that old rev up less and less. I wonder if it wears thin over time and for some, just inhibits them.

I have the same question mark about how he has handled the Brian situation this week. Seeming to publicly question brian's ability to play through pain didn't strike me as a smart move. I know he and brain have in the past perfected a bit of love-hate vaudeville but, again, does it wear off?

Why did Eade tell everyone OTC that Brian broke team rules, might play at Willi, and then further demean him by saying he had actually had a pre- season? For a proud guy who was rated all- Australian, going through a tough week on and off the field, this seems a strange way for the coach to handle things. Wasn't lack of confidence identified as one of brian's problems? Doesn't strike me as a good way to build it back up. From accounts of Brian's form at Willi, if it was meant to galvanize Brian, it didn't work.

As with my comments re Stack, it's not that I'm querying the coach's right to be critical of his players, just the public handling of them and the way Rocket uses the media to make his point. I wonder if the players are no longer responding to these tactics.

Mantis
08-05-2011, 10:24 PM
I'm pretty sure I can forgive a guy who left a well and truly sinking ship 22 years ago if it helps us win a flag.

It took him 10 years and the biggest spending budget in the league to win one at Collingwood... How will he go with us without the $$ to back him to the hilt?

Doc26
08-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Remember54, you make some sound points.
Rodney may need to check himself in this regard, to ensure he is applying the learnings he said he took from the end of his Sydney coaching tenure. It's undoubtedly a tough gig when the pressure of expectation mounts, hopefully through this Rodney can stay focussed on coaching and encouraging.

Ghost Dog
08-05-2011, 10:46 PM
I think eade has been great for us and this post doesn't mean I think he should be sacked..but one thing I query are his old style rants at the players. When they showed him giving it to Stack, the kid looked petrified. Whatever stack's merits or deficiencies he does not strike me as a cocky over-confident sort of guy. To be lambasted like that, and then have to go back out on the back line, where he has a role as a creative half back (implying he must play with a bit of dash and daring)..well I just wonder if that is the right kind of tactic. New style coaches use that old rev up less and less. I wonder if it wears thin over time and for some, just inhibits them.

I have the same question mark about how he has handled the Brian situation this week. Seeming to publicly question brian's ability to play through pain didn't strike me as a smart move. I know he and brain have in the past perfected a bit of love-hate vaudeville but, again, does it wear off?

Why did Eade tell everyone OTC that Brian broke team rules, might play at Willi, and then further demean him by saying he had actually had a pre- season? For a proud guy who was rated all- Australian, going through a tough week on and off the field, this seems a strange way for the coach to handle things. Wasn't lack of confidence identified as one of brian's problems? Doesn't strike me as a good way to build it back up. From accounts of Brian's form at Willi, if it was meant to galvanize Brian, it didn't work.

As with my comments re Stack, it's not that I'm querying the coach's right to be critical of his players, just the public handling of them and the way Rocket uses the media to make his point. I wonder if the players are no longer responding to these tactics.

Agreed remember 54 and I think you're spot on. As a teacher, notice that younger players these days do not have the ability to cop a spray well. It's not used in schools, at home or in the workplace so people are not able to deal with it like the older guys. Younger people have a far greater sense of 'self' before 'team' and will sook rather than take it on the chin.
It's old school stuff. Like it or not. Younger players demand instant feedback.
Maybe He needs to be out there with an ipad ^_^ showing them video of their technique, on the spot and asking questions

w3design
08-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Remember54, you make some sound points.
Rodney may need to check himself in this regard, to ensure he is applying the learnings he said he took from the end of his Sydney coaching tenure. It's undoubtedly a tough gig when the pressure of expectation mounts, hopefully through this Rodney can stay focussed on coaching and encouraging.

Yes his losing of the players at Sydney comes to mind. I also question if Rocket is giving a well-timed, judicious rev-up or just venting frustration and spleen. Either way it look old fashioned and ultimately unproductive.

Ghost Dog
09-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Small aside, I read a recent study that shows people won't accept constructive praise unless its around 15 seconds in length. Any longer and they think its being overgenerous, any shorter and people don't believe you really mean it.

I tried it in my class with a bunch of ratbag boys when they THOUGHT they were going to cop a spray and it seemed to work! It changed their behaviour.

What about a bit more constructive praise Rocket!

I'm convinced, and sorry, but I'm about to unleash the caps lock....

ROCKET ( methods / communication style ) MUST BE PREPARED TO CHANGE IF HE WANTS HIS PLAYERS TO CHANGE

bresker
09-05-2011, 01:15 AM
A manager hangs around too lomg and his charges stop listening.

Dogmatic
09-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Rocket has been a great coach for us but i think he has had his chances and it's time for change. I don't think he is getting the best out of the players anymore.

I'm frustrated that teams like west coast and essendon have adopted the forward press and improved significantly.......yet we seem to have only moderately adopted the press.

Desipura
09-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Blame the coach as much as you like, he is not the sole reason we are in this situation.
If anything he should be commended for making such a brave decision to drop Lake when we had Hall, Higgins, Hargrave and Wood out.
He has promised more axeing, all this in his final year of his contract, pretty brave thing to do IMHO.

Questions that really needs to be asked are:

Why has Cooney and Lake taken so long to recover from their injuries, did they do everything possible to get back in tip top shape?

Are Hudson and Gilbee finished as footballers, they look like some old battered footballers

Has 3 losing preliminary finals disheartened the older guys and therefore lost the motivation?

Roughy and Grant have not come along as quickly that we had hoped, they both have time on their side.
The finger needs to be pointed directly at the senior group as well as the next batch of leaders at the club, the latter will determine how good we could be.

bornadog
09-05-2011, 10:10 AM
A manager hangs around too lomg and his charges stop listening.

Sheedy says hello

LostDoggy
09-05-2011, 11:13 AM
It took him 10 years and the biggest spending budget in the league to win one at Collingwood... How will he go with us without the $$ to back him to the hilt?

Yes, that is true, but he took over the pies when they were bottom of the table. Within 3 seasons he took a very ordinary list to 2 GF's, and have been a consistent finalist since.
Forget the history of it all, I would love Mick to come to us.
His stature within the game means that he would have instant respect, & I feel he would be given carte blanche to do whatever he felt needed to be done with the playing list without worrying about egos etc within the playing group. By that I mean getting rid of some of the older players who are not capable of taking us any further.
I reckon he would be tempted by the talented younger plyers on our list. I know we dont have the $$$$ like Collingwood, but I dont think that would really come into it for him.

If not Mick, then there are a range of excellent coaches in waiting, Brendan McCartney, Mark Neeld, Ken Hinkley come to mind. Dont like the idea of Leon Cameron coming back, IMO we need someone from outside the club. However, with 8 coaches contracts expiring this year, you would not want to wait too long as the quality candiates will be snapped up pretty quickly.

If it all goes pear shaped in the next month, I feel that board will be forced to act.

I hope thats not the case, as Im just commenting on what I see as options if we do go down the replacing the coach path. The players have a huge responsibility in next month to put some 4 quarter efforts in. I dont mind if we lose if I see the effort & commitment is there (the 1st 3 quarters against the pies were great), I just hate it when a 1/2 of football is delivered and we lose by less than a goal.

LostDoggy
09-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Just change the 1 to a 2

Haha, thanks on two counts GD.

I have made a slight alternation to my signature...

And regardless of the c/k issue, I started calling Markovich namesake whilst watching the game with friends on the weekend. He has been a real bonus for us. I have had the nickname since I found this board and before we drafted namesake.

Maddog37
09-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Rocket does not look in control when he goes off like that. Would anyone want someone behaving that way in their workplace?

He must be so frustrated sometimes as his career is on the line but as a supporter I am sick of it. As a player I hated it when you are trying your best and someone yelled at you. Probably says more about me than anything else but it all just seems so old school.

bornadog
09-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Rocket does not look in control when he goes off like that. Would anyone want someone behaving that way in their workplace?

He must be so frustrated sometimes as his career is on the line but as a supporter I am sick of it. As a player I hated it when you are trying your best and someone yelled at you. Probably says more about me than anything else but it all just seems so old school.

It is old school, and what I have been told, Rocket has mellowed compared to Swans days.

I don't think he goes off as much as people think. Malthouse is similar. This was evident when he got struck into Sidebottom at 3/4 time, but I don't think they go besrerk, I think its more a firm hand.

LostDoggy
09-05-2011, 05:57 PM
I've copped more “bone-ins” (the Navy term for it) than I can count. I can't remember one single spray. If his intent is on getting a player to follow directions for the next 20 minutes, the spray will work. If he's wanting a longer term change, it's counter-productive.

With the old fashioned sprays, and a refusal to drop reputations, he is up against it in terms of motivating the group. Something has to give.

AndrewP6
09-05-2011, 08:09 PM

No, but the footballer's workplace isn't comparable to most others. Different kettle of fish.

Probably says more about me than anything else but it all just seems so old school.

It is old school, but IMO it doesn't happen excessively.

Hotdog60
09-05-2011, 08:16 PM
We could always going to the Walls school of coaching and get the Seniors players to sort it out in the change rooms after training.:D

chef
09-05-2011, 08:31 PM

Rocket would fit right in in a kitchen, I've seen worse than that.

Ghost Dog
09-05-2011, 08:51 PM
We could always going to the Walls school of coaching and get the Seniors players to sort it out in the change rooms after training.:D

Yeah! great idea! and have all our players walk out enmasse. Didn't that 21 year old kid quit footy after that?
The comment maddog made about workplace behaviour was a really interesting one.
I mean, we are sponsored by worksafe?
Isn't it sending mixed messages? Like Collingwood being sponsored by the TAC glug glug....

I'm a big fan of the Paul Roos school myself. I hate copping a bake and personally, it's always counterproductive for me. I'll do what they say, but there's a smoldering deep seated resentment that lingers. But then again, I'm not getting paid big clams to run around the paddock. So it goes.
If he IS going to yell, why not use a megaphone for effect? or get a stool? Maybe one of those big inflatable hammers...

He ain't called 'the rocket' for nothing!

Maddog37
09-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Maybe he could bring out the cane and dunces hat.

I just feel that he is not doing it in a controlled way or even using it tactically. He is just losing his temper. No one performs at their best when they have spat the dummy.

Mantis
10-05-2011, 03:39 PM

When was this?

aker39
10-05-2011, 03:48 PM
When was this?

1/4 time

bornadog
10-05-2011, 05:03 PM
1/4 time

I think he was just barking instructions, not yelling and screaming like a lunatic.

Mantis
10-05-2011, 05:33 PM
I think he was just barking instructions, not yelling and screaming like a lunatic.

It was a spray directed at Stack.. You could see Rocket yell out 'Stacky' at the beginning.

Having just watched the spray (and the last couple of minutes of play) one would think Rocket was pretty upset by the errant handball Stacky fired out in the dying stages of the 1st qtr which lead to the goal after the qtr time siren. One would think that our players would be under instructions to get the ball towards the boundary in these situations and I would think that a wild handball into the corridor would be frowned upon.... which it seems it was.

Rocco Jones
10-05-2011, 11:12 PM
I am pretty sure you can let someone know without screaming at them.

I can definitely understand rising your voice/screaming at times but it seems so consistent with Rocket. The ironic thing is, if you yell enough it eventually just becomes white noise anyway.

LostDoggy
11-05-2011, 05:41 PM
I am pretty sure you can let someone know without screaming at them.

I can definitely understand rising your voice/screaming at times but it seems so consistent with Rocket. The ironic thing is, if you yell enough it eventually just becomes white noise anyway.

Maybe there is more too it than just letting them know? Some people only response when blasted. I don't think it that consistent, he picks his targets well usually. Barassi was far more brutal and he is considered a coaching legend.

Topdog
11-05-2011, 05:49 PM
He seems to only yell at certain players which to me indicates that he thinks about it before blasting away.