PDA

View Full Version : 'Kamikaze footy' needed: Boyd

Hotdog60
08-05-2011, 12:57 PM
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20A-E/BoydMatty_246a.jpg
WESTERN Bulldogs captain Matthew Boyd says his side needs to learn how to apply "kamikaze footy" from the start to finish of games in order to halt their three-game losing streak.

The Bulldogs again played in patches against the Sydney Swans on Saturday at Manuka Oval and performed best early in the first quarter when they opened up a three-goal lead in the opening six minutes, and then in the final term when they cut a 26-point margin down to seven.

They still failed to close out the game though with the Swans hanging on for an eight-point win.

The 28-year-old said the Dogs had showed they were a better side than was currently reflected in their two-win season but they desperately had to learn how to be ruthless across an entire game.

"It just shows that we're the type of team that needs to play kamikaze footy and play really highly-intense footy from start to finish," he told afl.com.au after the game.

"We've just got to keep chipping away. There's no magic formula to it; it's just hard work and getting back to what we do best.

"It's an old cliché but it starts with training and getting the mood right at the club.
MORE (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/113294/default.aspx)

LostDoggy
08-05-2011, 01:18 PM
If playing a Kamikaze style means we die with the ball, hack it forward to no one, handpass backwards, make poor decisions under pressure I don't won't a bar of it

What happened to the Boyd who used to go forward and kick a vital goal at the right moment ? , as far as I,m concerned his role has changed and his effective disposals have dropped off

Boyd , we like you as our Captain but let your talking be done on the field with effective and contested hard work before you speak to the media about what the playing group should be doing

Your punishment is to try to keep Dustin Martin quiet next week

Ghost Dog
08-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Far out. Kamikaze football?? You have to be kidding me.

Calm down and hit targets.
We only needed to do an extra 5% 100% right yesterday.
Take it easy and get the simple things right.

boydogs
14-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Far out. Kamikaze football?? You have to be kidding me.

Calm down and hit targets.
We only needed to do an extra 5% 100% right yesterday.
Take it easy and get the simple things right.

I think it's just a creative way of saying we need to work harder - chasing, tackling, running to present

bornadog
14-05-2011, 08:20 PM
I think it's just a creative way of saying we need to work harder - chasing, tackling, running to present

We need to do that tomorrow and hit the Tigers hard.

1eyedog
14-05-2011, 09:46 PM
If playing a Kamikaze style means we die with the ball, hack it forward to no one, handpass backwards, make poor decisions under pressure I don't won't a bar of it

What happened to the Boyd who used to go forward and kick a vital goal at the right moment ? , as far as I,m concerned his role has changed and his effective disposals have dropped off

Boyd , we like you as our Captain but let your talking be done on the field with effective and contested hard work before you speak to the media about what the playing group should be doing

Your punishment is to try to keep Dustin Martin quiet next week

Speak for yourself. My vote went to Cooney or Murphy, much more inspiring players when at their best. Boyd plays above himself every week. Our whole midfield is down and someone has to get it, Boyd has a happy knack of finding the ball.

Greystache
15-05-2011, 03:00 AM

Yeah I guess he means put your life on the line for the team, ie give everything you've got.

always right
15-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Speak for yourself. My vote went to Cooney or Murphy, much more inspiring players when at their best. Boyd plays above himself every week. Our whole midfield is down and someone has to get it, Boyd has a happy knack of finding the ball.

Speak for yourself. What an inspiring captain Cooney would be at the moment:rolleyes: Boyd's performance as captain and his form on field has been fine.

Ghost Dog
15-05-2011, 01:06 PM
that's hard to say. May have spurred Cooney on to do bigger and better things.
As things stand, Boyd seems to be playing as hard as he can and despite knocks on elements of his game, that's good enough for me.

LostDoggy
15-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Speak for yourself. What an inspiring captain Cooney would be at the moment:rolleyes: Boyd's performance as captain and his form on field has been fine.

Surely you cant be happy with his disposal though. Boyd turns the ball over far more than the primary midfielders that play for the top teams in the AFL, especially when kicking into the forward line.

GVGjr
15-05-2011, 02:35 PM
that's hard to say. May have spurred Cooney on to do bigger and better things.
As things stand, Boyd seems to be playing as hard as he can and despite knocks on elements of his game, that's good enough for me.

I'm not a believer in the notion that promoting someone on what they might do and ignoring what they have done is the right recipe for selecting a captain of the club.
Cooney hasn't made that step from being a talented player to an on and off the field leader of the club yet and I wouldn't have him in the mix until he does.

Ghost Dog
15-05-2011, 04:14 PM
I'm not a believer in the notion that promoting someone on what they might do and ignoring what they have done is the right recipe for selecting a captain of the club.
Cooney hasn't made that step from being a talented player to an on and off the field leader of the club yet and I wouldn't have him in the mix until he does.

If there were no other obvious choices you might have picked him, but why would you? when we have so many good leaders at the club?
On curent form, Murphy, Morris, would come far ahead of coons.

always right
15-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Surely you cant be happy with his disposal though. Boyd turns the ball over far more than the primary midfielders that play for the top teams in the AFL, especially when kicking into the forward line.

Apart from one turnover, Boyd's disposal was excellent today. Cooney worked hard today but his disposal and decision making are a long way off.

Desipura
16-05-2011, 05:56 PM

If we use Nathan Buckley as an example he used to train on Christmas Day...why? cos he knew no one else would. It was his way of getting the jump on his opponents in terms of fitness.
Whether you liked him or not. Its one of the reasons why he was so good.
Cooney on the otherhand was trialling for an acting role for "Cool Runnings part 2"