PDA

View Full Version : Murphy Must Go Forward

bornadog
09-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Under Rocket Eade we have been one of the most prolific goal scores for the past 7 years, regularly kicking scores over 100 points. So far this season we have only managed that twice and history tells us over the past 7 years, whenever we kick less than 100 points we lose.

The forward line on Sunday was very inexperienced, with only Gia having really been the best goal kicker in the past. I believe we have been falling apart in the half forward to centre area. Jones is getting lots of experience playing the CHF role, but he will take some time. I think Murphy needs to go back to the forward line and stay there. Hargrave is ready to come back and take his spot in the backline.

ratsmac
09-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Totally agree. When Murphy has gone forward in the past two weeks, we have looked like scoring goals. We seem to be robbing Peter to pay Paul though. Hargrave will be welcomed back but i would like to see him have one more week at Williamstown to get t some much needed match fitness. Jack Reiwoldt could be trouble this week.

Lake Superior
09-05-2011, 02:37 PM
completely agree we are more dangerous with Murph forward and always provides leads when forward (you never see him standing still)

LostDoggy
09-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Murph has been a victim of circumstance. With Hargrave, Wood going down, and losing Lakes' and Gilbees' run from the backline, we've lost that rebound run and precision.

I've no doubt that Murph would be floating on a forward flank if all this didn't occur.

Without him down back we'd have very little rebound at all this season.

Dancin' Douggy
09-05-2011, 03:24 PM
We are a much more dangerous team when Murph is forward.
And he is always sent forward when we need to score quickly to try and save a game.
So why not just leave him there instead of sending him forward when it's too late.

Remi Moses
09-05-2011, 03:24 PM
I know it's only his first game back but I reckon Hargrave's ready.Murphy forward for mine,we look more dangerous with him there.

Ghost Dog
09-05-2011, 03:29 PM
If we are winning, put him back.
If losing, put him foward.
Message to robert Murphy's knee ligaments....hold on!

Happy Days
09-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Agree; this rope-a-dope style of football we're playing at the moment is brutal to watch.

Have him play a high half forward, and get it in his hands 60-70 out; let him make the first kick in to someone hard on the lead, rather than just sit it on people's heads, as seems to be the fashion at the moment.

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Under Rocket Eade we have been one of the most prolific goal scores for the past 7 years, regularly kicking scores over 100 points. So far this season we have only managed that twice and history tells us over the past 7 years, whenever we kick less than 100 points we lose.

The forward line on Sunday was very inexperienced, with only Gia having really been the best goal kicker in the past. I believe we have been falling apart in the half forward to centre area. Jones is getting lots of experience playing the CHF role, but he will take some time. I think Murphy needs to go back to the forward line and stay there. Hargrave is ready to come back and take his spot in the backline.

Murphy should go forward but not whilst our defense is so brittle. Murphy and Morris together hold together a very shaky backline. We may have to wait until Lake, Hargrave and Wood return which isn't ideal but necessary.Hall kept our forward line alive last year and we desperately need Hall and Higgins back. Grant who looked good in 2010 has been below par whilst Jones still has a long way to go.

The Adelaide Connection
09-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Whilst it might be "Robbing Peter to pay Paul" with a shift from back to forward, i totally agree that it has to happen. We need an extra chicken down there that has it's head firmly attatched.

I think it is a positive, procative move too. Kinda says "we are going to win this game and Murph is going up forward because that's where the ball will be". In the first 20 minutes of the Swans game that is exactly where the ball was, but we didn't have the forward polish to put the game further out of Sydneys reach.

bornadog
09-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Whilst it might be "Robbing Peter to pay Paul" with a shift from back to forward, i totally agree that it has to happen. We need an extra chicken down there that has it's head firmly attatched.

I think it is a positive, procative move too. Kinda says "we are going to win this game and Murph is going up forward because that's where the ball will be". In the first 20 minutes of the Swans game that is exactly where the ball was, but we didn't have the forward polish to put the game further out of Sydneys reach.

We should have kicked at least 5 or 6 in the first quarter. Even Roos has said that in the past when Murphy went forward he was the hardest player to match up on as well as the most dangerous player in the forward line. I have heard Roos say this a number of times.

Rocco Jones
09-05-2011, 11:18 PM
If only it was old school footy and we were regularly playing with strong winds. Bobby would play the half we are kicking with the breeze forward and the other half down back. He is absolutely gunning it this season.

LostDoggy
10-05-2011, 02:03 PM
I have to agree Bornadog but he should still be used down back too.

Up forward as the norm but send him down back when the opposition are having a purple patch.

Should consider taking him out of the way when the game is beyond doubt too for management reasons.

stefoid
10-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Agree; this rope-a-dope style of football we're playing at the moment is brutal to watch.

Have him play a high half forward, and get it in his hands 60-70 out; let him make the first kick in to someone hard on the lead, rather than just sit it on people's heads, as seems to be the fashion at the moment.

Rope a dope - I like it.

Only, didnt Ali actually win in the end?

Ghost Dog
10-05-2011, 03:33 PM
I can think of half a dozen players I'd rather lose than Bob.
Putting our ' talent' in the fWD-line is all and good but there is a balance.
One of the reasons we're having to pull him forward is because the designated foward players
are not quite getting it right, while doing many good things.

I understand you can't cotton wool players but, work where and when it counts I say.

BulldogBelle
10-05-2011, 04:27 PM
I can think of half a dozen players I'd rather lose than Bob.
Putting our ' talent' in the fWD-line is all and good but there is a balance.
One of the reasons we're having to pull him forward is because the designated foward players
are not quite getting it right, while doing many good things.

I understand you can't cotton wool players but, work where and when it counts I say.

Murphy is becoming the Chris Grant or Ted Whitten of our side, forward or back, a leader by example...

Hopefully Hargrave can come in this week against the Tigers and play the rebounding/defensive role that Murphy is playing.

Our forwards, primarily Jones, Grant and Roughead need Murphy and Gia's leadership in the F50...

LostDoggy
10-05-2011, 05:44 PM
No. We'll crucify his body there....I don't think he is good enough anymore to compete effectively with stronger bodies of the toughest teams.....and he will be forced to come too far up the ground to get kicks. Let him run off half back where he has some freedom and flair and time, with occasional journeys forward.

Ghost Dog
10-05-2011, 05:48 PM
No. We'll crucify his body there....I don't think he is good enough anymore to compete effectively with stronger bodies of the toughest teams.....and he will be forced to come too far up the ground to get kicks. Let him run off half back where he has some freedom and flair and time, with occasional journeys forward.

Agreed, Mental

Murphy'sLore
10-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Agree. Please don't let's break Murph for short term gain.

chef
10-05-2011, 09:18 PM

This. The way I see it we'll either get 1-2 seasons out of him as a forward or 3-4 as a back man.

The Adelaide Connection
10-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Agreed, Mental

If you agree mate, don't call him names! ;)

Ghost Dog
11-05-2011, 12:22 AM
If you agree mate, don't call him names! ;)

Well red white and blue can drive you a bit crazy can't it?:D

Mind you , who would be a saints supporter? They must be sick of narrow losses.
Suffer in yer Jocks!

Wonder where Bob actually prefers playing himself?

LostDoggy
11-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Agree. Please don't let's break Murph for short term gain.

Yes, our forward line might seem fragile but there is no point putting potentially fragile players in there, Murphy gives us drive on the rebound, is a good decision maker and with Lake and Williams out gives us some maturity, at times during the game I have no problem with Murphy or Gilbee spending time at the top of the forward 50 but only if it does'nt leave us vulnerable down back

boydogs
15-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Yes, our forward line might seem fragile but there is no point putting potentially fragile players in there, Murphy gives us drive on the rebound, is a good decision maker and with Lake and Williams out gives us some maturity, at times during the game I have no problem with Murphy or Gilbee spending time at the top of the forward 50 but only if it does'nt leave us vulnerable down back

With Hargrave back now, perhaps we can afford to release Gilbee forward as we did today. As Lake, Williams and Wood come back this should become easier to cover.

LostDoggy
15-05-2011, 08:48 PM
I like Gilbee forward. And i think Murphy needs to stay back when the game is played on our terms. I think when he went forward is when the Tigers made a little comback. Should use Murphy if we need to roll the dice to win the game.

Desipura
15-05-2011, 08:52 PM
I like Gilbee forward. And i think Murphy needs to stay back when the game is played on our terms. I think when he went forward is when the Tigers made a little comback. Should use Murphy if we need to roll the dice to win the game.

Gilbee likes playing against the tigers, he got 30 possessions against them last year

LostDoggy
15-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Gilbee likes playing against the tigers, he got 30 possessions against them last year
Even against Collingwood he did quite well up forward

always right
15-05-2011, 10:58 PM

Murphy went forward in the middle of Richmond's run-on. He actually kicked the freak goal to stop the rot. I like him playing back and pushed forward as the opportunity or need arises.