PDA

View Full Version : Training Friday 13th at 11.30am

bornadog
11-05-2011, 05:34 PM
May even get down there if I can get my work up to date. Should be an interesting session.

Mantis
11-05-2011, 09:43 PM
May even get down there if I can get my work up to date. Should be an interesting session.

In what way? By who trains or how they train?

bornadog
11-05-2011, 11:46 PM
In what way? By who trains or how they train?

Who trains and how they pull up.

bornadog
13-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Popped down to training today to see how the boys were going and ran into fellow woofer Greystache. The on again off again rain didn't help our viewing as we were in and out of the Pound Cafe.

Not a lot to report, the boys were not sharp with their kicking, and we put it down to slippery conditions, although handballing drills were very good.

Lake, Hall, Higgins and Wood participated in some of the drills with the main pack but also did some separate 100m running up and down, supervised by one of the fitness coaches. (sorry couldn't recognize who it was). Lake doesnot look fit at all. Wood and Higgins looked like they could play this week and Barry wasn't the quickest runner either.

Mitch Hahn wasn't out there and we couldn't see Mitch Wallis either. Also Wiliams was not there either.

The guys that stood out to me with their enthusiasm, and running were DJ, Cross, Gia, Cooney, Jones to name a few.

Maybe Greystache can update a bit more.

bornadog
13-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Forgot to mention, Wayne Campbell watched training, just sitting outside the Pound Cafe.

Grantysghost
13-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Your call on Briza was spot on - he's out of the Willi team this week.

HUN Article Here (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bulldog-brian-lake-even-further-from-afl-return/story-e6frf9jf-1226055386860)

Maddog37
13-05-2011, 04:38 PM
How was the talk at training? Did it sound loud and enthusiastic? We went a couple of weeks ago and I could not believe the lack of voice.

One of the first things to go when things are tough is the voice and yet it is a simple thing that all players can do.

Greystache
13-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Good to catch up with a fellow WOOFer at training this morning.

Not much to add to what Bornadog has already said, other than to reiterate how far off full fitness Lake looks. I was at training about 2 months ago when Lake was starting to build up his fitness, he was doing the exact same running drill and he didn't look any fitter today than he did back then. I'm at a loss to understand how he could have gained so little fitness in such a long period of time. Hugely concerning for such a key player.

Murphy'sLore
13-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Good to catch up with a fellow WOOFer at training this morning.

Not much to add to what Bornadog has already said, other than to reiterate how far off full fitness Lake looks. I was at training about 2 months ago when Lake was starting to build up his fitness, he was doing the exact same running drill and he didn't look any fitter today than he did back then. I'm at a loss to understand how he could have gained so little fitness in such a long period of time. Hugely concerning for such a key player.

Don't tell me his thyroid is playing up as well.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Wood looks in very good shape. Moved really well, showed pace and generally used the ball well. He worked pretty hard too - plenty of running. This was the highlight of training for mine.

Agree Higgins looked OK.

Monty was advising Jones on his goal kicking which was nice to see.

One thing that did annoy me, that I can't understand, is Cross continually using his left foot. Turn over, turn over, turn over. No wonder he brings this into his game when he does it at training. At his age, he should be concentrating on his strengths and doing the basics - IE. using his right foot, kicking 20-30m. Instead, he keeps trying to drill passes with his left foot and kick it 40m+. The fact that he's allowed to do it is even more worrying.

Hotdog60
13-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Lake set for early return

WESTERN Bulldogs defender Brian Lake could be ready to return to AFL football as soon as next week, Dogs' coach Rodney Eade revealed on Friday.

Lake, 29, has struggled with a knee injury this season and was sent back to play for the Dogs' VFL affiliate Williamstown after round six, to regain form and fitness.

Eade had previously expressed a desire for his star defender to play three games in the VFL before returning to the AFL team - he has played just one - but the coach has been pleasantly surprised by Lake's progress.

"He's doing a bit more running now and a bit more speed work. I was thinking that he probably might be another couple [of weeks], but he might be [available] as soon as next week," Eade said from Whitten Oval on Friday.

"He's improving and he's worked very hard this week. I just had a chat to him then and he said that it's the best its felt."

Lake's return would be a huge boost for Eade who has turned to the versatile Dale Morris to do the job on Richmond forward Jack Riewoldt on Sunday in the absence of Lake and fellow key defender Tom Williams.

The Bulldogs called up defender Ryan Hargrave, who has missed all season recovering from a foot stress fracture, after just one VFL game, ahead of fellow backman James Mulligan who drops out of the extended squad along with Mitch Wallis and Nathan Djerrkura.

Dylan Addison and Tom Liberatore also come into the team for an important clash for the Dogs who are looking to snap a three-game losing streak without star forwards Barry Hall and Shaun Higgins as well as Lake and Williams.

"They're at full strength and we're a bit undermanned, but having said that I think the players have maintained their belief. We need to win. That's the bottom line - we need to win this week," Eade said.

"We're certainly confident like every week. We've had some really good play. I think we've won [almost] as many quarters as Collingwood, but we've just got to aim for consistency.

"I think we've just got to maintain the faith and maintain that work rate for four quarters. If we can do that we'll be ok."

Eade looked anything but a coach under pressure when he spoke to the media after a training session in which the players matched their coach's buoyant mood.

"I think you can tell from training that the morale is still up, the enthusiasm is still there and they've still got a spark about them and a spring in their step," he replied when asked if the Dogs' slow start to the year had caused morale to dip.

"We just need to hang tough. Teams go through this and individuals go through some rough patches and we've just got to come out at the end of it.

"There's a real culture of 'everyone's in it together'. There's no blame, there's no pointing fingers - we've got some areas that we've got to address and we've spoken about that openly and honestly."

LINK (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/113800/default.aspx)

Cyberdoggie
13-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Looked far from an AFL footballer today.

In what way?

Was he proppy or did he just not look like his physique was right?

bornadog
13-05-2011, 07:53 PM
In what way?

Was he proppy or did he just not look like his physique was right?

His Physique just didn't look right and also the way he ran, yes you can say proppy.

The Underdog
14-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Wood looks in very good shape. Moved really well, showed pace and generally used the ball well. He worked pretty hard too - plenty of running. This was the highlight of training for mine.

Agree Higgins looked OK.

Monty was advising Jones on his goal kicking which was nice to see.

One thing that did annoy me, that I can't understand, is Cross continually using his left foot. Turn over, turn over, turn over. No wonder he brings this into his game when he does it at training. At his age, he should be concentrating on his strengths and doing the basics - IE. using his right foot, kicking 20-30m. Instead, he keeps trying to drill passes with his left foot and kick it 40m+. The fact that he's allowed to do it is even more worrying.

Surely training is a place where players can work on a weak part of their game. Wouldn't you prefer he try to get better at something rather than not?. His kicking skills have never been great but it doesn't mean he should just forget about them. It's not like his right is that much better than his left anyway.

Scorlibo
14-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Training is exactly the environment which should be used to practice difficult but beneficial plays. How many times do you see Cross miss a target? On either foot? Not bloody often, so get off his back.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Surely training is a place where players can work on a weak part of their game. Wouldn't you prefer he try to get better at something rather than not?. His kicking skills have never been great but it doesn't mean he should just forget about them. It's not like his right is that much better than his left anyway.

Not when said player continually brings this flaw into games. It's stupidity; when he can use his right foot, why run around on the left and inevitably turn it over? He should be kicking with his right foot nonstop (ala Robert Harvey style) rather than trying to do something he is simply not capable of doing.

Training is exactly the environment which should be used to practice difficult but beneficial plays. How many times do you see Cross miss a target? On either foot? Not bloody often, so get off his back.

You're kidding me right?

God, I hope you're kidding.

MrMahatma
14-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Not when said player continually brings this flaw into games. It's stupidity; when he can use his right foot, why run around on the left and inevitably turn it over? He should be kicking with his right foot nonstop (ala Robert Harvey style) rather than trying to do something he is simply not capable of doing.

You're kidding me right?

God, I hope you're kidding.
Cross and Boyd's go is the handball. Problem is, that often isn't accurate either - especially Boyd. So many end up at the target's knees or feet. Not clean enough.

LostDoggy
15-05-2011, 09:33 AM

Did I read that correctly or are you talking about another player?