PDA

View Full Version : Whitten address as Captain Coach

gidgegary
15-08-2007, 02:44 PM
Hi Dogs fans

years ago I saw some TV footage of EJ Whitten giving a stirring three-quarter time address to his players when he was Captain Coach. It might have been the '54 Grand Final but I'm not sure.

I'd like to see it again as it was inspirational stuff.

Can't find it on Youtube so I'm wondering if anybody can tell me where I might find it.

Thanks for your help.

Gidgegary

Sockeye Salmon
15-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Hi Dogs fans

years ago I saw some TV footage of EJ Whitten giving a stirring three-quarter time address to his players when he was Captain Coach. It might have been the '54 Grand Final but I'm not sure.

I'd like to see it again as it was inspirational stuff.

Can't find it on Youtube so I'm wondering if anybody can tell me where I might find it.

Thanks for your help.

Gidgegary

"It's got to be a do-or-die effort. You've got to show all the guts and determination you've got in your bodies. You gotta inspire me.

You've been in front all day and you've gotta stay there..."

v Hawthorn. EJ's last game in '70. We won by 3 pts.

bornadog
19-08-2007, 01:02 PM
"It's got to be a do-or-die effort. You've got to show all the guts and determination you've got in your bodies. You gotta inspire me.

I was there that day. At the end of the day we all ran on the ground to hear his speech. It was pooring rain.

Here is a bit of the speech

http://ninemsn.video.msn.com/v/en-au/v.htm?g=e8008db3-4835-4134-bc98-93176145cc7c&f=39/83&fg=email

SonofScray
26-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Excuse the bump, but did anyone notice the video montage pre game on Sunday? Fantastic, I love that they've cut EJ's famous speech into the highlight reel.

IMO - the club should master it/remix it and play it just before the players come out. Dim the lights, and build the tension a bit. Would be terrific, a real feature of the home game experience, and a pump up for the ages!

If anyone has the footage/ or audio to the speech, I'd love to have access to it. I'll have a go at it myself.

AndrewP6
26-07-2010, 07:33 PM
It's my current signature! :D

LostDoggy
26-07-2010, 08:47 PM

Not a goal scored in the last quarter

LostDoggy
26-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Yep, was there that day too - my memory is of Teddy after the game, with all the players around him, standing near the race, in the pouring rain, covered in mud, making his farewell speech. Was sitting in the relative comfort of the EJ Whitten stand. What a fantastic memory of the great man!

LostDoggy
09-09-2010, 02:15 AM
They've been doing it for a while now hey! I love it! Does anyone know where I can find the complete speech and footage online?

LostDoggy
09-09-2010, 02:11 PM
I was there that day. At the end of the day we all ran on the ground to hear his speech. It was pooring rain.

Here is a bit of the speech

http://ninemsn.video.msn.com/v/en-au/v.htm?g=e8008db3-4835-4134-bc98-93176145cc7c&f=39/83&fg=email

Yep, was there that day too - my memory is of Teddy after the game, with all the players around him, standing near the race, in the pouring rain, covered in mud, making his farewell speech. Was sitting in the relative comfort of the EJ Whitten stand. What a fantastic memory of the great man!

I'm jealous of these posts.