View Full Version : The Trengove Tackle

The Pie Man
11-05-2011, 05:45 PM
What are your thoughts

Is it reportable?

If it is, is 3 weeks excessive?

Go_Dogs
11-05-2011, 06:33 PM
I understand the decision based on the need to protect the head. The duty of care exists, and if a player gets injured I think it's very easy to say they offending player breached their duty of care.

I also think the cookie-cutter approach to evaluating incidents in wrong. In isolation this tackle was perfectly fine, the falling motion drove Dangerfield into the ground rather than any malicious intentions or actions from Trengove. It's just one of those unfortunate ones where a player gets hurt - not a huge chicken wing or slinging tackle.

I guess they've now set the precedent that regardless of any intention, if your action causes injury to another player's head you've breached your duty of care.

Is the appeal being heard tonight?

Maddog37
11-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Don't mind the reporting so much even if it is borderline. But I do think the penalty was too much.

The Pie Man
11-05-2011, 09:14 PM
It's reportable; I find it hard to believe Melbourne highlighted that as a 'perfect' tackle in their post game, didn't seem any need for the sling, and the rules are clear on that

Three weeks is contentious

Drunken Bum
12-05-2011, 01:38 AM
Three weeks is contentious

contentious?? 3 weeks is ridiculous, i am so close to giving up AFL altogether it isnt funny. If it wasn't for the dogs i wouldn't watch a game.

Flamethrower
12-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Don't have a problem with it. The AFL want to outlaw the "slam tackle" because the risk of serious injury is so great. Dangerfield was concussed and had to be subbed out of the game.

The minimum suspension under the MRP guidelines for such an incident is 3 weeks, which is what Trengove got, and is consistent with cases in previous years involving Mumford and Milburn.

You do the crime, you do the time.

Mantis
12-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Campbell Brown gets 2 weeks for elbowing Callan Ward in the head in an off the ball incident.

Jack Trengove gets 3 weeks for a fierce tackle to a player in possession of the ball.

Something just isn't right there.

Topdog
12-05-2011, 08:08 AM
How injured a player gets and medical reports should play absolutely no part in determining the suspension of a player.

LostDoggy
12-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Campbell Brown gets 2 weeks for elbowing Callan Ward in the head in an off the ball incident.

Jack Trengove gets 3 weeks for a fierce tackle to a player in possession of the ball.

My thoughts exactly too Mantis - the justice wheels have fallen off at the tribunal I think!

The Pie Man
12-05-2011, 09:23 AM

My thoughts exactly too Mantis - the justice wheels have fallen off at the tribunal I think!

It's out of whack, agreed.

LostDoggy
12-05-2011, 10:00 AM

Adrian Anderson was on SEN last night talking about it. He couldn't say much about the Trengove tackle as it was up for appeal, but he did say the Campbell Brown incident has sparked a review at the end of the year, and he said incidents regarded as behind the play may have their penalties increased.

I agree that the cookie cutter approach doesn't work, but he did also say the match review panel has the power to send a case direct to the tribunal where they didn't feel the penalty prescribed by the guidelines fit the incident, so I'd say the real problem lays at the feet of the match review panel and their hesitation in admitting they get it wrong. They don't want to look timid or indecisive.

He did state, on the Trengove tackle, that the rules around that kind of tackle are very strict due to medical reasons — they keep having club doctors pleading with them to rub it out of the game due to the extreme high risk of spinal/neck injuries.

Sockeye Salmon
12-05-2011, 10:03 AM
I can't believe a player has been reported for a tackle.

I can just hear Kanga Kennedy now, "DON"T THINK. DO! Just don't do anything rough. OK?"

Or Barass to Healy, "Gerard, I'll shut up when you give me soft tackles!"

T-Shirt Tommy, "Kevin, you're a back pocket plumber, so try not to hurt anyone"

Sedat
12-05-2011, 10:08 AM

That thing that isn't right is called Adrian Anderson.

Demetriou is one very smart cookie - he makes himself look indispensible to the AFL Commission by hiring incompetent morons and yes-men beneath him.

Here is a transcript of every single Adrian Anderson interview conducted in the last 4 years:

"Crowds are up"
"Ratings are up"
"The Match Review Panel is made up of football people of the highest integrity"

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
12-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Haven't seen Trengrove's tackle, but from all reports it was accidental.

Yet Campbell Brown's elbow to the head was deemed 'non-intentional'? If that's not intentional, nothing's intentional.

LostDoggy
12-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Absolutely disgusting and inconsistent decision.

These guys are killing the game.

Fine, one game max and then I still wouldn't be happy.

Campbell brown must be laughing to himself.

LostDoggy
12-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Campbell Brown was laughing when he was given 2 weeks each.

LostDoggy
12-05-2011, 02:04 PM
10 years for manslaughter

6.5 years for murder.

Oh, that's right, there's no longer precedent. Each act is analysed in its own right. Open case, shut case, delete case.

Joke of a system currently.

LostDoggy
12-05-2011, 03:25 PM
That thing that isn't right is called Adrian Anderson.

Demetriou is one very smart cookie - he makes himself look indispensible to the AFL Commission by hiring incompetent morons and yes-men beneath him.

Here is a transcript of every single Adrian Anderson interview conducted in the last 4 years:

"Crowds are up"
"Ratings are up"
"The Match Review Panel is made up of football people of the highest integrity"

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mark Fraser — only played 110 games across two clubs (Coll & Ess), umpired 3 matches and then retired.
Paul Broderick — 93 games for Fitzroy, 169 games for Richmond, incl B&F in 96.
Peter Carey — Umpired 307 games.

The only name I recognised was Carey's, and that's only because he took a mark whilst umpiring at Subi between Freo & St Kilda.

Remi Moses
12-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Haven't seen Trengrove's tackle, but from all reports it was accidental.

Yet Campbell Brown's elbow to the head was deemed 'non-intentional'? If that's not intentional, nothing's intentional.

Agree, but I also reckon Trengove did tackle with a little more intent than the normal tackle.
Now we're hearing all this diatribe about the game being soft, if anyone could care to look at the tackle count a decade ago might beg to differ.

Scorlibo
12-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Don't have a problem with it. The AFL want to outlaw the "slam tackle" because the risk of serious injury is so great. Dangerfield was concussed and had to be subbed out of the game.

The minimum suspension under the MRP guidelines for such an incident is 3 weeks, which is what Trengove got, and is consistent with cases in previous years involving Mumford and Milburn.

You do the crime, you do the time.

Maybe it is consistent with two other cases, but it's definitely not consistent with the enormous number of tackles exactly like this one every game, often hailed as perfect tackles.

It's also unbelievably inconsistent in this respect:

How injured a player gets and medical reports should play absolutely no part in determining the suspension of a player.

Completely agree, I get quite angry when people use this as a reason for further action. If Cal Ward had been concussed in the Brown incident, and then been force subbed off, Brown would have copped way more than he did, when he should have copped way more than he did regardless. How he didn't get exactly the same penalty as Barry Hall on Staker is beyond me.

bornadog
12-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Appeal dismissed, he will miss 3 weeks.

SonofScray
12-05-2011, 11:25 PM
In the current context I can see how the charge has come about but really, I hate this decision. It wasn't one of the "double motion" aggressive and reckless tackles you see from time time, certainly there was no malice from what I can tell. Its a worry when the outcome for the opponent basically can stitch you up regardless of intent.

Drunken Bum
13-05-2011, 03:09 AM
I can't even get angry at the AFL anymore, i am very quickly losing all passion that i had for the game, i have noticed it a lot while watching games where i will just laugh at some completely ridiculous decision paid against us because i half expect them now. The Minson shepperd the other week was a perfect example, i wanted to get angry and scream and yell but i couldn't even be arsed, i wasn't even surprised because as soon as the whistle sounded my first thought was "he's going to ping Minson for a sheppard here"
This is just another example, i want to be outraged at the lunacy of 3 weeks for Trengove, while Brown gets 2 for his hit on Ward but i just can't anymore, i am beyond caring anymore and the AFL is slowly but surely losing me. I love the Dogs and have been through a few ups and a lot of downs with them over 40 years but i am almost done, i've lost interest in the game itself and what it has become at this level. A joke, and a bad one at that

bornadog
13-05-2011, 09:55 AM
I can't even get angry at the AFL anymore, i am very quickly losing all passion that i had for the game, i have noticed it a lot while watching games where i will just laugh at some completely ridiculous decision paid against us because i half expect them now. The Minson shepperd the other week was a perfect example, i wanted to get angry and scream and yell but i couldn't even be arsed, i wasn't even surprised because as soon as the whistle sounded my first thought was "he's going to ping Minson for a sheppard here"
This is just another example, i want to be outraged at the lunacy of 3 weeks for Trengove, while Brown gets 2 for his hit on Ward but i just can't anymore, i am beyond caring anymore and the AFL is slowly but surely losing me. I love the Dogs and have been through a few ups and a lot of downs with them over 40 years but i am almost done, i've lost interest in the game itself and what it has become at this level. A joke, and a bad one at that

Maybe you were in Cambodia too long and you forgot what footy was like these days:D

With three field umpires on the ground, you will get three different interpretations of rules. The Minson one was a disgrace to football. What was Minson to do, he stands there ready to take a mark and O'Brien jumps on his back and its a shephard, what a bloody joke.

Topdog
13-05-2011, 10:16 AM
well said Drunken Bum (and brilliant username). It has gotten to the point where a decision is made and you think 'that makes no sense at all so it is obviously the correct Tribunal decision'.

You see it everywhere being referred to as a raffle or lottery and this is yet another prime example why. All I do now is shake my head and giggle to myself when I see a ridiculous decision either in game or on Monday night.

LostDoggy
13-05-2011, 11:14 AM
It's a joke that our umpires aren't full time professionals in one of the hardest games
to officiate in the world. The umpiring is so inconsistent I find it hard to watch, just drives
me crazy.

The Pie Man
13-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Maybe you were in Cambodia too long and you forgot what footy was like these days:D

With three field umpires on the ground, you will get three different interpretations of rules. The Minson one was a disgrace to football. What was Minson to do, he stands there ready to take a mark and O'Brien jumps on his back and its a shephard, what a bloody joke.

Being at the game, I was wondering if there was something in the replay that would justify the decision.

Saw it again during the week - there was nothing. Minson did nothing, he was about to put his arms up to contest the ball. Horendous

Not sure if Gieschen scrutinised that one..the same umpiring dept that gave the all clear to the Blair free in the goal square vs Carlton.

Sounds like I'm ump bashing....I don't mean to, these are somewhat isolated, if indefensible, calls.

Sockeye Salmon
13-05-2011, 02:24 PM

This is exactly how I feel as well.

Maddog37
13-05-2011, 03:22 PM
After seeing it a few more times it looked like a sling tackle but instead of the jumper he used Dangerfields arm to actually throw him into the ground.

Drunken Bum
13-05-2011, 04:36 PM
After seeing it a few more times it looked like a sling tackle but instead of the jumper he used Dangerfields arm to actually throw him into the ground.

I personally dont think it should be reportable, thats me, maybe i am way out of touch with society, i dont know, i certainly feel that way a lot of the time.
That being said it is not an issue for me that he got suspended, i can deal with that, he accidentally hit his head, someone has to pay for it :/ What i cannot accept is that it is a 3 week suspension. Regardless of past tribunal decisions i think 3 weeks is ridiculous and over the top for what can be debated as being a perfect execution of a skill of the game. When you add into the equation past tribunal decisions such as the Cambell Brown one i WANT to rage so hard but it all dies inside of me so very quickly because it's pointless because they don't care so long as they get their TV money and they can skew statistics by rigging the fixture to show the game is popular and growing.
I used to shed a tear after a particularly bad Dogs loss occasionally and more then a few in '89, i don't think i even could anymore, now i shed a tear for the loss of the game that i once loved and with it the passion that i once felt.

comrade
13-05-2011, 06:09 PM
This is exactly how I feel as well.

I haven't watched a full game of football that hasn't involved the Bulldogs all season and even when I do flick over, it's purely to check in on how my Supercoach players were going.