Sunday 15th May
Etihad Stadium 2.10pm

Last Time

Rd 2, 2010. MCG

Bulldogs 17.18.120
Richmond 7.6.48

Form leading in

Richmond

The Tigers are flying with 3 wins on the trot. A very good win on Saturday evening against top 4 contenders Fremantle, follows up good wins against North and Brisbane. The “F” word has been silenced down at Punt Rd but no doubt the Richmond supporters are up and about and why wouldn’t they be with young guns such as Cotchin, Martin and Riewoldt running amuck, the emergence of Nahas and a game plan which every player is seemingly subscribing to. They are young, well coached and in form. Expect the Tiger army to be out in force on Sunday.

Western Bulldogs

In contrast the Dogs have been very poor over the last 3 weeks, with loses to Freo, Collingwood and Sydney. The skill level has been very low with players missing targets at will. A big concern has been our inability to score as well as the inability to sustain a 4 quarter effort. The coach has touted changes, "We've just got to find players who are prepared to work and work consistently. That's why young (Lucas) Markovic's done extremely well, because he's prepared to give a contest and he works, even if he's exhausted. We haven't got enough players who are doing that." Rocket has come out strong in the media previously only to make minimal selection changes with fringe (generally young) players copping the brunt. It will be interesting to see if this rings true. With Williams out injured, height down back could be an issue.

Potential Line Ups

Richmond- Can’t see the Tigers changing a winning side.

B: C. Newman A.Rance B.Houli
HB: B.Deledio L.McGuane D.Grimes
C: S.Edwards D.Martin T.Cotchin
HF: J.King T.Vickery R.Nahas
F: M.White J.Riewoldt B.Miller

Foll: A.Graham D.Jackson S Grigg
Int: N.Foley, B.Nason, R Conca, J Batchelor

Bulldogs- Changes have been touted and will be expected.

Possible line up
B- Hargrave Morris Picken
HB- Schofield Markovic Stack
C-Sherman Boyd Ward
HF- Hill Murphy Grant
F- Giansiracusa Jones, DJ
Rucks- Minson, Cooney Griffen
Int-Cross, Roughead , Liberatore, Wallis

Key Match ups
Riewoldt vs Morris-

It was a toss of the coin job between Markovic and Morris as to who plays on Riewoldt. Markovic has been very good this year playing on the big boys at other clubs but to me the job has to go to Morris. Rarely beaten and in All-Australian form, Morris has been one shining light so far this year, if he can stifle Riewoldt early it will go a long way to aiding a bulldogs win.

Martin vs Picken -

Out of the young brigade of Richmond mids, Martin is the one how gets the tag. He is their best extractor and brings his teammates into the game. Picken is clearly our best run with player and needs to stop Martin from clearing the ball. Clearances have been an issue for the dogs, this match-up is extremely important and one Picken must win.

Griffen Vs Deledio

The battle of the 2004 draftees. When Deledio has the ball in his hands he generally uses it well, Hardwick has also shown he is not scared to set him a task (Goddard) and I expect this week to be no different. Griffen has been in good form although his disposal has let him down on occasions, look for him to try to capitalise going forward and hurt the Tigers on the scoreboard, Deledio will no doubt try to do exactly the same thing to Griffen making this a mouth watering match up.

Where the game will be won and lost
Forward Entries are key, Matthew Boyd spoke about Kamikaze football or “playing on at all cost”. That is all a good but if we continue to bomb it in long to Jones or Grant when they are clearly outnumbered, we will get smashed. Smart decisive ball use which takes the first best option is a must.

PRESSURE, PRESSURE, PRESSURE, Richmond are still young and inexperienced. We must at all time pressure their ball carriers. Deledio cannot get space to move freely, nor can Nahas or Cotchin. The Tigers games plan is all about attack, we must force errors and be there to capitalise when mistakes are made.

Leadership- we hear about how strong our leaders are off the park. It is now time for them to show it on the park. I’m looking for Boyd, Cross, Cooney, Gia to stand up and make their teammates better. To beat the Tigers we need a solid contribution from 22 players, for four quarters of football.

Verdict
This is a line in the sand game for the Dogs. A must win. Our backs are against the wall, pressure is mounting on Rocket and the senior group. A loss here ignites the blow torch to a point we have not seen at the Whitten oval for a long time.
We must win the contested ball, We must pressure their midfield, We mustn’t allow Richmond to run freely opening the forward line up for their talls. In short this is a must win and one I expect we will get.

Bulldogs 14 pts

LostDoggy
12-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Great preview Slim Pickens - your final paragraphs say it all really - this is a "line in the sand" game for us, and I like you, am looking to our more experienced players to stand up and be counted, providing leadership and setting the example. I don't want to think about not winning, so I'm chalking it up for a win, by 10 points!

LostDoggy
12-05-2011, 10:43 AM
My heart: Bulldogs by 11 points.
My head: Richmond by 6.

I'm not being negative about the season yet, but I think we have a bit more pain to suffer before we heal.

Let's hope I'm wrong — if the Dogs win, I'll print this post and eat it. :)

DOG GOD
12-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Great review Slimpickens. For me, Deledio, Martin, Nahas and Riewoldt are the keys for them. We have to negate them at all costs. If Riewoldt gets on top early and his confidence goes thru the roof, then look out. Could be in for a big one.

Their backline has been running the ball out with ease on ocassions this year and we must pressure the ball user for 4 qtrs. Newman, Deledio and Houli have looked the goods in all their wins this year. We cant allow theem to run it to the centre and put it in the hands of Martin, Cotchin and Nahas, otherwise our defence will be under immense pressure.

I like your match-ups but personally I would run Ward with Martin as Martin is good overhead with good size about him, and I would run Picken with Nahas, so that when Nahas plays fwd, Picken can follow him there. I have a feeling the tiges will play Roo, Vickery and Miller all fwd to try to stretch our backline, so for mine, Morris take Roo, Markovic takes Vickery and Hargrave takes Miller.

Like u said, this is a line in the sand game. If we cant get up for this one, our next three games to follow could get ugly.

Mantis
12-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Great preview Slim Pickens - your final paragraphs say it all really - this is a "line in the sand" game for us, and I like you, am looking to our more experienced players to stand up and be counted, providing leadership and setting the example. I don't want to think about not winning, so I'm chalking it up for a win, by 10 points!

Here here!!! .... but we also need our young guys to rise to the challenge that presents.

If we out work Richmond we will win, but we can't afford our work-rate to be as poor as it was against Sydney.

Good job on the preview Slim!

Greystache
12-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Great preview Slim

Maddog37
12-05-2011, 11:48 AM
I would like to see Picken on Cotchin and Cross on Martin.

I hope you all are on here on Monday telling me I am weak as piss and have no heart but I can see the Tiges getting hold of us by 39.5 plus..........

LostDoggy
12-05-2011, 12:27 PM
I would like to see Picken on Cotchin and Cross on Martin.

I hope you all are on here on Monday telling me I am weak as piss and have no heart but I can see the Tiges getting hold of us by 39.5 plus..........

And which model Mercedes is your Bookmaker driving lately????????????????????

LostDoggy
12-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Has the world gone mad? I move to the Northern Hemisphere and everything gets turned upside-down: Richmond are CONTENDERS and we are crap? (what are the odds on this market?)

But seriously -- reading the Aussie papers online just makes one want to laugh with their level of analysis. Sure, the Tiges won three in a row, but two wins were against North and Brisbane, both who will surely finish in the bottom 4 this year (along with GC and Port) and we would have flogged as well, and Freo, who play like millionaires in Perth but like an under-15s side anywhere else.

On the other hand, our three losses were to -- hang on to your hats: Freo in Perth (see point above), Sydney (5th last year) by a goal, and COLLINGWOOD (he-llo, reigning premiers, unbeaten etc. etc. etc.).

Way to go with the deep analysis beyond looking at the win-loss column. Geez, a short course in logic wouldn't go astray for most of our so-called 'journos'.

LostDoggy
12-05-2011, 01:02 PM
And which model Mercedes is your Bookmaker driving lately????????????????????

THIS!

Dogs comfortably.

w3design
12-05-2011, 01:21 PM

Unless we put together something resembling a four quarter effort, I'm inclined to agree with you. We are scraping the bottom of the barrel with our selections, we have serious problems with our forward structure and now have serious injury problems in our back half. We don't have the depth to cover them, no team in the comp does. We are in real strife, I am afraid.

DragzLS1
12-05-2011, 01:38 PM
doggies first to 20 points. richmond will take the lead in the 2nd and 3rd quarter by a small margin, doggies will then win by 32 points.. I see richmond giving us a good run for our money and they will be good this year, but the dogs will step it up this week.

Ozza
12-05-2011, 03:03 PM
On paper - thats the worst Bulldogs side I've seen for a long time.

Unless Cooney and Griffen can bring their A game and get us going - I think we're in trouble.

1eyedog
12-05-2011, 04:35 PM
We are demoralised and are not running hard enough, the quicker, more intense and in form Tigers will come over the top of us and win by 4 goals.

Possible line up
B- Hargrave Morris Picken
HB- Schofield Markovic Stack
C-Sherman Boyd Ward
HF- Hill Murphy Grant
F- Giansiracusa Jones, DJ
Rucks- Minson, Cooney Griffen
Int-Cross, Roughead , Liberatore, Wallis

All the players bolded are either too inexperienced, injured, underdone or too out of form to be comfortable about. I think we are in a lot of trouble.

LostDoggy
12-05-2011, 05:13 PM
@ ES.
Roof shut.
Dogs back in Melbourne.
Home crowd.
Point to prove.

Dogs by 40+

1eyedog
12-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Two honourable losses are still losses that we should have won.

1eyedog
12-05-2011, 05:31 PM
@ ES.

Our record is not good here

Roof shut.

Will this suit the Tigers fast ball movement? They played the ground well last week

Dogs back in Melbourne.

We have already travelled alot

Home crowd.

Hopefully we are not outnumbered against the Tiger fans sensing another kill

Point to prove.

Indeed and we usually come to the party in line in the sand games

Dogs by 40+

I hope so but this is very optimistic I think

It will be very tight

Ghost Dog
12-05-2011, 05:37 PM
My heart: Bulldogs by 11 points.
My head: Richmond by 6.

I'm not being negative about the season yet, but I think we have a bit more pain to suffer before we heal.

Let's hope I'm wrong — if the Dogs win, I'll print this post and eat it. :)

We'll be needing a digital image as proof as course :D

Cheer on Dogs. We have the talent. All comes down to how well we use the ball.

Head says Tigers
Heart says Dog by a kick.

edit: forget the head. Dogs by 20 points to get the season on track.

LostDoggy
12-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Great preview Slim.

Momentum is massive for young teams like Richmond (I remember the Bulldogs clipping more fancied teams towards the end of 2005). The only way to slow this momentum is to stop their run, and jump them in the first half. We've only lost one first quarter this season (by a point), and we need to make sure that we're up by a fair bit at half time, cos the Tigers have been coming home strong over the past three weeks, and we haven't really been able to sustain our efforts during the second half.

If we don't shut down the supply to Riewoldt (with Nahas and King at his feet), we might be in trouble. I'm hoping that we turn our season around starting this week, but I'm not convinced given the talent on the sideline.

Tigers by 20 points

LostDoggy
13-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Here here!!! .... but we also need our young guys to rise to the challenge that presents. If we out work Richmond we will win, but we can't afford our work-rate to be as poor as it was against Sydney.

True Mantis, but often it appears that if our experienced guys are showing the way, the younger players are swept up with the momentum of the game! I know I am, sitting in the crowd :D

LostDoggy
13-05-2011, 12:10 PM
The promotion to the senior side from both Skinner and now Mulligan really indicates that the coaching staff knows we are in deep trouble. It looks like their debuts have been rushed and we have been searching for something 'special' IMO.
Tigers by 15 Points.

the banker
13-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Lots of pessimism on this forum after not being able to get over the line in 2 of the past 3 games. After having the momentum at critical times in all final quarters, a few mistakes and the inablity to ice a couple of goals has shaken our belief.

The tigers had an exceptional win last week. As stated elsewhere they come into this game from the opposite end of the scale, full of belief in their game plan and commitment to each other.

Their prime movers are up and about Deledio, Cotchin, Martin and Newton.
We have Griffen, Murphy, Boyd and Picken consistently winning the ball.
A big difference is that in Riewoldt they have a target and converter. We do not.

I think a lot of goals will come through the corridor. Richmond have been bold with this. We must force turnovers and punish them on the scoreboard.

Can we squeeze 10 goals from Sherman, Cooney, Griffen, Gia and Grant with cameos from Murphy, Jones, Hill, Minson etc?

My tip is that our midfield will dominate and that we will have plenty of supply.
Please forwards, bring your best games.

Dogs by 22

Ghost Dog
13-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Lots of pessimism on this forum after not being able to get over the line in 2 of the past 3 games. After having the momentum at critical times in all final quarters, a few mistakes and the inablity to ice a couple of goals has shaken our belief.

The tigers had an exceptional win last week. As stated elsewhere they come into this game from the opposite end of the scale, full of belief in their game plan and commitment to each other.

Their prime movers are up and about Deledio, Cotchin, Martin and Newton.
We have Griffen, Murphy, Boyd and Picken consistently winning the ball.
A big difference is that in Riewoldt they have a target and converter. We do not.

I think a lot of goals will come through the corridor. Richmond have been bold with this. We must force turnovers and punish them on the scoreboard.

Can we squeeze 10 goals from Sherman, Cooney, Griffen, Gia and Grant with cameos from Murphy, Jones, Hill, Minson etc?

My tip is that our midfield will dominate and that we will have plenty of supply.
Please forwards, bring your best games.

Dogs by 22

good on you banker. always enjoy reading your posts.
I'm a bit more optimistic, seeing the team match ups now.
Foward line is greatest concern.
It's a massive, must win game for us and have faith our youngsters will rise to the event.
Dogs for mine.

EasternWest
13-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Great preview Slim.

This is a good opportunity to put a halt to the Tiges momentum and build a bit of our own.

Dogs by 23.

Bumper Bulldogs
13-05-2011, 07:17 PM
I confident we can take this one to the bank, We have the boys to get the job done and from what I hear about the tigers going in tall will really help us out as we can cover that and run off them. We have done this for years!

This is the game that we get us back on the winning way.

My only concern is with the line up in the paper today we should be using the sub for our Rucks as I don't want to see Will, Hudson, Grant & Jones all on the ground at the same time...Unless Jones plays CHB.

Oh yes almost forgot can we see Schofield go to King?

Go_Dogs
13-05-2011, 07:23 PM
Great work on the preview.

Should be an absolute cracker, and it's actually on TV in Adelaide.

I think we can win this one, but Slim is right that it's going to take a huge defensive effort to out work them and create enough opportunity. We then need to be better/smarter with our ball use/movement and find some avenues to goal. I wonder if Hill could bob up with a bag this week?

bornadog
13-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Oh yes almost forgot can we see Schofield go to King?

If he was playing.

LostDoggy
13-05-2011, 07:59 PM
The most important strategy is too put a BBB headlock on their ball supply right from the first bounce, every one of the their midfield possessions has to be contested, force them when they have the ball to spread laterally or kick/ handpass backwards to find a free player , absolute unrelenting pressure

We have to use the corridor , bring back the run and bounce , only kick to a leading player

As I said in the other thread , our stats for effective disposals and tackles have to be higher than Richmonds for all 4 quarter's

This just can't be another game where we are almost level/ doing OK / better than last week for 3 quarter's and then fall away in the 4th

A very critical time will be the first 15 mins after half time , we just have go for broke, no holds barred committed football

Every player on the park has a point to prove to themselves, not to anybody else , not only do I wear the Red, White and Blue I bleed in Red, White and Blue

( I have moved everything fragile out of the Living Room , I just know I,m going to break things )

Ghost Dog
13-05-2011, 08:04 PM
We're goin to find alot out about the character of the boys on Sunday. Let's get behind them

chef
14-05-2011, 08:28 AM
We're goin to find alot out about the character of the boys on Sunday. Let's get behind them

Why is that?

Don't we know this already.

Ghost Dog
14-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Why is that?

that's exactly the problem at the Bulldogs.
People assume we are just where we left off last season.
That players, who have shown it in the past, are going to give the same return.

New season, many new players, new situation.
We have a team of classy individuals that are yet to really play together to their potential.
sunday's pressure game may do the trick. Looking for the stand up players of 2011
rather than waiting for the stand up's of last season to get around to it.

Ghost Dog
14-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Why is that?

Like to see a lot more talk out there, for example. Support

Mantis
14-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Like to see a lot more talk out there, for example. Support

How can you believe talking (or lack of) is a problem unless you have been out there? Have you... been out there?

Mofra
14-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Prior to this round only Geelong & Collignwood had won more quarters of footy than us :eek:

We really need this one and it shapes as season defining. With a number of players out and our form down we'll go in as underdogs, which I normally hate but the club seems to respond to.

Mantis
14-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Prior to this round only Geelong & Collignwood had won more quarters of footy than us :eek:

We really need this one and it shapes as season defining. With a number of players out and our form down we'll go in as underdogs, which I normally hate but the club seems to respond to.

Would this stat be thrown off by the fact we have played both Bris & GC and from memory won all the quarters in these games?

Ghost Dog
14-05-2011, 01:22 PM
How can you believe talking (or lack of) is a problem unless you have been out there? Have you... been out there?

Based on
1. Yes I have been to a game this season and team ethos seems down on last year IMO
2. Other people have commented that at training there is a real lack of talk.

Yes I was in China, but came back two months ago. My mother has cancer. FYI
Does this satisfy you mantis?

LostDoggy
14-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Sure, the Tiges won three in a row, but two wins were against North and Brisbane, both who will surely finish in the bottom 4 this year (along with GC and Port) and we would have flogged as well, and Freo, who play like millionaires in Perth but like an under-15s side anywhere else.

On the other hand, our three losses were to -- hang on to your hats: Freo in Perth (see point above), Sydney (5th last year) by a goal, and COLLINGWOOD (he-llo, reigning premiers, unbeaten etc. etc. etc.).'.

^THIS,^THIS,^THIS...

Panic button is being hit way too early IMO. We've blooded lots of newby's and we've got heaps of experience still coming back into form. Backline is solid with more to come, Marko's a revelation and Jones and Grant will be learning from tough footy. There's heaps of upside and the boys are starving for a win. We won't hear "yellow and black" this week..

Mighty dogs by 26 points. And....nice preview :cool:

1eyedog
14-05-2011, 09:49 PM
^THIS,^THIS,^THIS...

Panic button is being hit way too early IMO. We've blooded lots of newby's and we've got heaps of experience still coming back into form. Backline is solid with more to come, Marko's a revelation and Jones and Grant will be learning from tough footy. There's heaps of upside and the boys are starving for a win. We won't hear "yellow and black" this week..

Mighty dogs by 26 points. And....nice preview :cool:

And what if we lose tomorrow?

LostDog
15-05-2011, 01:13 PM
does anyone know where I can watch this online WA doesnt have the broadcast

LostDoggy
15-05-2011, 03:52 PM
And what if we lose tomorrow?

1. Don't see it happening

2. Still have players coming into form. I see our season VERY like St Kilda 2010. Would like to see a two kick differencial to their season however!

LostDoggy
15-05-2011, 09:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5DHC784dQI

Here you go — a video of me eating my words when I got home. Sorry I doubted you, Dogs! An extra mention to Gilbee, who I totally wrote off last week as finished.

A good lesson to keep a cool head, and keep the faith.

SlimPickens
15-05-2011, 09:57 PM

Here you go — a video of me eating my words when I got home. Sorry I doubted you, Dogs! An extra mention to Gilbee, who I totally wrote off last week as finished.

Brilliant....Just snorted at my desk.

Greystache
15-05-2011, 10:10 PM
That's great!!

JohnGentStand
15-05-2011, 10:10 PM
B A S you are are man of your word

of course some words are easier to eat than others, like Ward or Hall

Giansiracusa took you some chewing!!

Ghost Dog
15-05-2011, 11:03 PM

So funny lol. Kept your word!

jasopan
15-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Hilarious:)

G-Mo77
15-05-2011, 11:57 PM

LOL, nice work mate. :)

LostDoggy
16-05-2011, 02:03 AM
Dogs comfortably.

What's a prediction if you can't review it after the fact right?

LostDoggy
16-05-2011, 09:03 AM

Very funny, and a man of his word! PS - hope you used recyclable paper!

chef
16-05-2011, 09:04 AM

:DThat was brilliant.

w3design
16-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Sooo funny. What a roller coaster of emotions the football season is!

KT31
16-05-2011, 01:21 PM

Loved it.:D

LostDoggy
16-05-2011, 02:41 PM

Well done!! Very funny indeed!! :D

Daughter of the West
16-05-2011, 07:27 PM

That is GOLD B.A.S., well done on keeping your word! :D

LostDoggy
16-05-2011, 08:42 PM

At least you would not have needed toilet paper today, if it worked let us no, would save a lot on toilet paper. !

LostDoggy
17-05-2011, 11:36 AM
At least you would not have needed toilet paper today, if it worked let us no, would save a lot on toilet paper. !

Apparently it's a celebrity fad diet, eating paper…

Ghost Dog
21-05-2011, 06:05 PM
by the way. We beat the tigers last week everyone. Just thought I'd remind you all....
who me?...gloating? never!