LostDoggy
12-05-2011, 06:19 PM
B: Brennan Stack, Lukas Markovic, Dale Morris
HB: Liam Picken, Ryan Hargrave, Robert Murphy
C: Daniel Cross, Ryan Griffen, Justin Sherman
HF: Callan Ward, Liam Jones, Josh Hill
F: Jarrad Grant, William Minson, Daniel Giansiracusa
Foll: Ben Hudson, Matthew Boyd, Adam Cooney
I/C: Dylan Addison, Lindsay Gilbee, James Mulligan, Brodie Moles, Nathan Djerrkura, Mitchell Wallis, Thomas Liberatore

In: Dylan Addison, Ryan Hargrave, James Mulligan, Nathan Djerrkura, Thomas Liberatore
Out: Tom L. Williams, Zephaniah Skinner
New: James Mulligan (Southport QLD)

The Pie Man
12-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Great to see Mulligan named - with both Hudson/Minson named, seems doubtful he'll make the 22.

bornadog
12-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Hargrave on Vickery, who is 200cm

G-Mo77
12-05-2011, 06:36 PM
I guess our players are on notice next week. :rolleyes:

I think the bench will end up like this

I/C: Lindsay Gilbee, Nathan Djerrkura, Mitchell Wallis, Thomas Liberatore

DJ as the Sub.

bornadog
12-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Skinner unlucky as he shouldn't have played last week but once he is in maybe he should have had one more game

comrade
12-05-2011, 06:38 PM

I think the bench will end up like this

I/C: Lindsay Gilbee, Nathan Djerrkura, Mitchell Wallis, Thomas Liberatore

DJ as the Sub.

I'm sure quite a few are.

DOG GOD
12-05-2011, 06:39 PM
That's a small bench. I cant see both Wallis and Libba playing.

LostDoggy
12-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Didn't we play an under done Lake a few weeks back? Now we are playing an underdone Hargrave. Anyone think this smells a little desperate?

chef
12-05-2011, 06:46 PM
I guess our players are on notice next week.

Exactly what i was thinking.

Remi Moses
12-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Didn't we play an under done Lake a few weeks back? Now we are playing an underdone Hargrave. Anyone think this smells a little desperate?

Looks a lot fitter, agree it's desperate times but if Lake,Wood or Williams were available he'd probably spend another week at Willy.We need our best players on the park

Bulldog Joe
12-05-2011, 07:02 PM

Watched a replay of the Willi game and he looked good. Happy to see him in, he is a smart player.

SlimPickens
12-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Hargrave will be fine, looked really good at Willy. I'm almost convinced we have to play Mulligan, but if we do we're very tall.

Don't think Huddo and Will can be in the same team, so disappointed with that selection.

G-Mo77
12-05-2011, 07:08 PM

They said on the selection video that he is a week early but didn't seem confident about it.

Rocco Jones
12-05-2011, 07:09 PM

I agree that it is a desperate call but it's also one I agree with. Lake, Williams and Wood all being out means we have very little options. Shaggy looked good at Willy. Under the circumstances, I think it's a good call.

Lake Superior
12-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Why does Addison get a look in when one of our major problems is turn overs?

SlimPickens
12-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Why does Addison get a look in when one of our major problems is turn overs?

Form, was best on for Willy last weekend.

Lake Superior
12-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Form, was best on for Willy last weekend.

He didnt get named in the best and watching the game i didn't think he played that well

LostDoggy
12-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Terrible decision to rush Hargrave back , he's not ready , needed another three weeks with Williamstown, it will be Lake version 2 , I,d be quite happy if he proved me wrong but I have visions of seeing him lying on the ground or kneeling on the ground as he's beaten in another contest, Griffen will have to drop back to assist him.

The way the team matches up , this game will be won by the team who can cleanly get possession off the ground, lots of broken unstructured passages of play with congested contest's down the flanks, I really only see Richmond trying to use the corridor.

Jones and Grant need to anchor themselves 10 metre's apart 5 metre's from the goal square and double lead to give us some real targets, the midfielders have to be clean with the delivery

Sherman and Djerrkura will be important with crumbed goals

We must have a higher percentage of effective disposals and tackles than Richmond for all 4 quarters

LostDoggy
12-05-2011, 07:46 PM
I agree that it is a desperate call but it's also one I agree with. Lake, Williams and Wood all being out means we have very little options. Shaggy looked good at Willy. Under the circumstances, I think it's a good call.

Agreed.

Terrible decision to rush Hargrave back , he's not ready , needed another three weeks with Williamstown, it will be Lake version 2 , I,d be quite happy if he proved me wrong but I have visions of seeing him lying on the ground or kneeling on the ground as he's beaten in another contest, Griffen will have to drop back to assist him.

The way the team matches up , this game will be won by the team who can cleanly get possession off the ground, lots of broken unstructured passages of play with congested contest's down the flanks, I really only see Richmond trying to use the corridor.

Jones and Grant need to anchor themselves 10 metre's apart 5 metre's from the goal square and double lead to give us some real targets, the midfielders have to be clean with the delivery

Sherman and Djerrkura will be important with crumbed goals

We must have a higher percentage of effective disposals and tackles than Richmond for all 4 quarters

I must disagree with you on Shaggy. Because it's Shaggy. Best player on the team for playing through pain, and whilst in an ideal world he wouldn't have to, 2-4 going into Round 8 isn't an ideal world.

SlimPickens
12-05-2011, 07:52 PM
He didnt get named in the best and watching the game i didn't think he played that well

Watched the game myself and thought he was excellent. Was that the same best, which had Cordy and Hooper in it?

FrediKanoute
12-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Great to see Mulligan named - with both Hudson/Minson named, seems doubtful he'll make the 22.

I think the opposite. there are no other talls on the bench. Hargrave is coming back from injury and if he goes down or runs out of puff who takes over. I would be surprised if we went that short against the Tigers

divvydan
12-05-2011, 09:08 PM
I noticed watching the team announcement video that the time on it was around 12:40pm. Might explain why there's been a few differences between it and the named teams over the course of the season thus far.

Lake Superior
12-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Watched the game myself and thought he was excellent. Was that the same best, which had Cordy and Hooper in it?

i thought he was the same old Addison great attack on the footy but too slow and can't kick

SlimPickens
12-05-2011, 09:48 PM
i thought he was the same old Addison great attack on the footy but too slow and can't kick

Fair enough, as I said in the willy thread Addison is very good at VFL level because of this I can see why he was selected in the 25. I agree with you that he can butcher the ball and if our best 22 was available he probably wouldn't get a game. Unfortunately our best 22 aren't availble.

LostDoggy
12-05-2011, 09:49 PM
I dont mind us going in small, at least we were winning when we were small.

Rocco Jones
12-05-2011, 09:57 PM
I dont mind us going in small, at least we were winning when we were small.

Going in small > Going in crap

Lake Superior
12-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Fair enough, as I said in the willy thread Addison is very good at VFL level because of this I can see why he was selected in the 25. I agree with you that he can butcher the ball and if our best 22 was available he probably wouldn't get a game. Unfortunately our best 22 aren't availble.

Yeah I understand that I suppose im more annoyed that Schofield and Tutt haven't been given a look in cause I thought they both played extremely well. It just seems to me that these sort of selections are the selections of a coach who is not looking to the future and trying to keep his job for another year.

Mantis
12-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Yeah I understand that I suppose im more annoyed that Schofield and Tutt haven't been given a look in cause I thought they both played extremely well. It just seems to me that these sort of selections are the selections of a coach who is not looking to the future and trying to keep his job for another year.

Schofield was apparantely poor last week, but his name is getting bandied around so a few more good games will see him get a senior berth and Tutt is coming from along way back... if his form in the 2nd half of the year is good he may get a look in, but he isn't ready just yet.

LostDoggy
12-05-2011, 10:58 PM
This team selection worries me but it seems we dont have a lot of choice. First time in a long time I will tip against us.

Greystache
12-05-2011, 11:17 PM

Don't you worry G-Mo, the minute any of our senior players get injured they'll be straight out of the side as a statement. We may even throw in a fringe player or two to make "wholesale changes". :rolleyes:

Mantis
12-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Don't you worry G-Mo, the minute any of our senior players get injured they'll be straight out of the side as a statement. We may even throw in a fringe player or two to make "wholesale changes". :rolleyes:

Where was it stated that we would be making 'wholesale changes'?

LostDoggy
12-05-2011, 11:33 PM
There probably needs to be a balance of youth & experience, given our injuries, the club probably couldn't afford to drop anymore senior players.

G-Mo77
12-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Where was it stated that we would be making 'wholesale changes'?

Well it wasn't said directly but a couple of quotes from Rodney insinuated it.

"We've got to be ... it doesn't matter who it is, if they can't play the role or do what they're expected to do, we've got to be able to find people who can."

"We're going to make some changes, no doubt," he said. "Hall and Higgins will be right next week, so they'll certainly be in. Young Libba (Liberatore) should be OK, so there's three and there might be some debutants. We made four (changes) for this game, so we're not afraid to make some changes."

"We've just got to find players who are prepared to work and work consistently. That's why young (Lucas) Markovic's done extremely well, because he's prepared to give a contest and he works, even if he's exhausted. We haven't got enough players who are doing that."

OK Higgins and Hall didn't get up in time for the game so maybe that tied the hands of the MC a little. Reading those quotes it points to more than Zeph Skinner being outed.

I'm disappointed with the selections this week but sadly not surprised.

SonofScray
12-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Does the criticism of the match selection panel as being too conservative still stand up, given the players given a run so far this year? We've certainly seen a few new faces through necessity to cover injuries. I wonder if form lines were similar, but we weren't having to cover injuries if we'd be seeing any of the players that have been pushing for selection in the reserves?

Things like dropping Skinner, and comments such as being "on notice," only to see the changes this week suggest to me that things haven't changed there at all.

bornadog
12-05-2011, 11:44 PM
It just seems to me that these sort of selections are the selections of a coach who is not looking to the future and trying to keep his job for another year.

You know that is not true.

Mantis
12-05-2011, 11:47 PM
OK Higgins and Hall didn't get up in time for the game so maybe that tied the hands of the MC a little. Reading those quotes it points to more than Zeph Skinner being outed.

I think you answered your query with your opening statement.

If the players on the outer had played well last week we could have expected a few more changes, but the likes of Schofield, Roughy, etc.. haven't exactly banged the door down in order to gain selection.

jeemak
12-05-2011, 11:48 PM
There probably needs to be a balance of youth & experience, given our injuries, the club probably couldn't afford to drop anymore senior players.

This. The balance between the two has probably gone far enough, and playing senior players that might be a bit underdone or out of form is necessary. We've got a season to salvage, and with our two KPD's and two of our best three forwards out along with an already developing list of youngsters we're bordering on non-competitive as it is.

bornadog
12-05-2011, 11:50 PM
I'm disappointed with the selections this week but sadly not surprised.

Why what you have done? How many more debutants should we bring in? The cupboard is currently bare and with the current interchange, a couple more will be out so that will make it 4 changes at least.

G-Mo77
13-05-2011, 12:00 AM
I think you answered your query with your opening statement.

If the players on the outer had played well last week we could have expected a few more changes, but the likes of Schofield, Roughy, etc.. haven't exactly banged the door down in order to gain selection.

I thought Roughead did enough to warrant selection that and Hudson's abysmal play for nearly every game he has played this year should warrant it. Schofield has also been one of our most consistent performers at VFL level I think he warranted selection as well.

Why what you have done? How many more debutants should we bring in? The cupboard is currently bare and with the current interchange, a couple more will be out so that will make it 4 changes at least.

I don't think our cupboards bare at all. I seriously think we have a lot a great young talent running around on our squad that are deserving of a senior spot. If they mentality is they shouldn't be selected because they have played under X amount of games they're getting it wrong. I'd rather someone in there with the hunger to keep his spot rather than another who coasts along knowing he is in there no matter he does, he'll still get a game.

Sorry, just really frustrated right now. I'm in ultra pessimistic mode.

bornadog
13-05-2011, 12:11 AM
I thought Roughead did enough to warrant selection that and Hudson's abysmal play for nearly every game he has played this year should warrant it. Schofield has also been one of our most consistent performers at VFL level I think he warranted selection as well.

. Roughead is only 20 and also a big guy and they take time to develop. Unfortunately he was a burden to us in the Freo game as well as the Collingwood game. Plus against Brisbane and Suns he hardly got a tap out. Although Hudson is out of form, he still has been our best ruckman since transferring to the dogs. I actually thought he played well against Freo, even though Sandlilands had 53 tap outs we won the clearances, and mainly thanks to Hudddo

I don't think our cupboards bare at all. I seriously think we have a lot a great young talent running around on our squad that are deserving of a senior spot. If they mentality is they shouldn't be selected because they have played under X amount of games they're getting it wrong. I'd rather someone in there with the hunger to keep his spot rather than another who coasts along knowing he is in there no matter he does, he'll still get a game.

When I say the cupboard is bare, I mean picking players for this week that are in form. Schofield is oh so close but disappointed last week.

Personally, I think we should go with Mulligan to play on Vickery. Vickery is a 20 year old that is averaging 9 disposals per game, but will be too tall for Shaggy. All Mulligan has to do is punch the ball away from him. I don't understand why posters are saying we would be too tall by playing Mulligan plus two rucks. If Williams was playing we wouldn't say that yet he is 197cm.

aker39
13-05-2011, 12:37 AM
We have so far made 2 changes, and it could be as many as 5. How about we wait until the squad is finalised before we comment about whether enough changes have been made.

kruder
13-05-2011, 12:58 AM
What a disgrace Shaggy is playing!

Have this match committee not learnt their lesson? Give the guy a propper preseason behind the scenes prior to playing him.

Dropping Zephi after 1 quater is equally disgracefull! What a great confidence boost for such a young player.

One postive is they havent dropped Jones. With no Barry next year he should play every match. Moles and DJ in prefernce to Libba and Wallis as we need some run.

Since DJ is new to the team if he is selected, he must be given at least 3 games to impress.

FrediKanoute
13-05-2011, 03:13 AM

I don't think ROughy has set the world alight. Was disappointing in the NAB Cup, was average against GC.....for mine he is the future of our ruck division, but he is not ready now.

Bulldog Joe
13-05-2011, 08:15 AM
I don't think ROughy has set the world alight. Was disappointing in the NAB Cup, was average against GC.....for mine he is the future of our ruck division, but he is not ready now.

I have been saying this since the pre-season. Roughy had his shoulders done in the off season and just has not had the gym work he needs.

Cordy is now significantly more physically developed, but of course he has missed so much footy.

LostDoggy
13-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Lets face it, what ever side the mc picked for this game, many here wouldn't be happy.
How is it a disgrace picking an experienced backman who has played before underdone when a number of other backman are missing. Can't use Lake as an example cos the other clearly wants to play.
Jones was yo-yoed after being dropped and there was criticism but now it's ok for same to happen to Roughead.

Hotdog60
13-05-2011, 10:23 AM
I know injuries aren't helping, but I would like to see the side settled for a few weeks so maybe some sort of cohesion can happen. Regardless of who the MC pick I think we need to to keep a side together and see how it goes. But if we are not getting the 4 points the pressure mounts.

EasternWest
13-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Lets face it, what ever side the mc picked for this game, many here wouldn't be happy.
How is it a disgrace picking an experienced backman who has played before underdone when a number of other backman are missing. Can't use Lake as an example cos the other clearly wants to play.
Jones was yo-yoed after being dropped and there was criticism but now it's ok for same to happen to Roughead.

Don't disagree with you. Would be interested to hear what changes you think should occur?

LostDoggy
13-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Don't disagree with you. Would be interested to hear what changes you think should occur?
I'm in no position to say who should be in or out. I have faith in the MC to do what they think is right with whats available.
Judging them on the changes after the match would be a better idea.

bornadog
13-05-2011, 10:56 AM
I'm in no position to say who should be in or out. I have faith in the MC to do what they think is right with whats available.
Judging them on the changes after the match would be a better idea.

Well said Chops, too many people think they know better than the MC.

G-Mo77
13-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Well said Chops, too many people think they know better than the MC.

I can't speak for everyone who disagrees with selections each week but I don't think I know better, I've just lost faith in them. I'll continue to question their selections until they start getting it right.

Topdog
13-05-2011, 11:13 AM
What a disgrace Shaggy is playing!

Have this match committee not learnt their lesson? Give the guy a propper preseason behind the scenes prior to playing him.

Dropping Zephi after 1 quater is equally disgracefull! What a great confidence boost for such a young player.

Shaggy is a naturally fit bloke. He will be fine.

Meh it worked for Hill and many players before them. Give them a taste of senior action and show them how far away they are. Get them to work harder to get back into the team.

bornadog
13-05-2011, 11:21 AM
I can't speak for everyone who disagrees with selections each week but I don't think I know better, I've just lost faith in them. I'll continue to question their selections until they start getting it right.

Opnions are good for discussion so don't stop.

mjp
13-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Shaggy in is good. It isn't as if he doesn't know what is required.

Skinner out is good (though it doesn't help my dream-team). Should not have been selected and performed pretty much as most expected he would (and please, no comments about limited game time because the more limited it was the better for the other 21).

Addison in is good. He was yo-yoed a couple of weeks ago and deserved a bit better after his performances in the finals last year. Surely he had at least ONE credit ticket?

DJ in is good. He will chase and tackle. We need that.

Mantis
13-05-2011, 12:09 PM

Skinner out is good (though it doesn't help my dream-team). Should not have been selected and performed pretty much as most expected he would (and please, no comments about limited game time because the more limited it was the better for the other 21).

Addison in is good. He was yo-yoed a couple of weeks ago and deserved a bit better after his performances in the finals last year. Surely he had at least ONE credit ticket?

Agree with the first 2.

Addison - Play him up forward? Possibly on Newman or Deledio?

DJ - I hope we plonk him in a FP with just a brief run thru the midfield. His instructions (as per yours) would be to chase, tackle and harrass until you can do no more.

Go_Dogs
13-05-2011, 12:19 PM

Agree with all that.

Just need to show some faith and stick with it for a few weeks. DJ and Addison playing a role in the forward line should help us out defensively. We just need to persist with these guys for a few weeks and get some continuity with their roles.

Cyberdoggie
13-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Jones and Grant need to anchor themselves 10 metre's apart 5 metre's from the goal square and double lead to give us some real targets, the midfielders have to be clean with the delivery.

That would be the only place Jones could kick a goal from. How many times has he fallen over when kicking the ball!.

Unfortunately with the forward press and rugby touch kicking style of game we employ, our forwards are never home unless there has been a stoppage inside 50.

Cyberdoggie
13-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Agree with the first 2.

Addison - Play him up forward? Possibly on Newman or Deledio?

DJ - I hope we plonk him in a FP with just a brief run thru the midfield. His instructions (as per yours) would be to chase, tackle and harrass until you can do no more.

We simply have to put pressure on Richmond's backline, otherwise we'll be chasing tail all day.

The big problem i have is that we are just playing a negative style of football where kicking it into touch is the better option than taking the game on or taking any risks.

Hopefully we can change that around and get some confidence.

bornadog
13-05-2011, 03:37 PM
I/C: Dylan Addison, Lindsay Gilbee, Brodie Moles, Thomas Liberatore

In: Dylan Addison, Ryan Hargrave, Thomas Liberatore
Out: Tom L. Williams, Zephaniah Skinner, Wallis

Looks like final team

Mantis
13-05-2011, 03:47 PM
I would have preferred DJ in the team instead of Addison to give us some pace & mobility up forward, but hopefully Dylan can rise to the challenge.

We look short up back and will need our mids to pull their weight.

Grantysghost
13-05-2011, 03:51 PM
I would have preferred DJ in the team instead of Addison to give us some pace & mobility up forward, but hopefully Dylan can rise to the challenge.

We look short up back and will need our mids to pull their weight.

Maybe he's earmarked for Nahas?

Mantis
13-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Maybe he's earmarked for Nahas?

I would hope not... Dylan's only chance to keep up would be tie Nahas's shoe-laces together.

G-Mo77
13-05-2011, 04:18 PM

Looks like final team

Bites tongue. :o

Is this official?

Mantis
13-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Is this official?

The Age & Herald-Sun are both running with that team.

Also mentioned was that Morris will have first crack at Jack.

DOG GOD
13-05-2011, 04:21 PM

And we better pray to God he can get the job done, because if he can't i would hate to witness Markovic on him.

DOG GOD
13-05-2011, 04:23 PM

Looks like final team

No true CHB, no true FF, and 4 midgets on the bench....oh dear :(

Go_Dogs
13-05-2011, 04:30 PM
I guess we'll know more about 4.00pm on Sunday. Hope the faith shown can be rewarded.

LostDoggy
13-05-2011, 04:52 PM
And we better pray to God he can get the job done, because if he can't i would hate to witness Markovic on him.

Why are you potting Markovic... has played well all year. Might be the new Lake

bornadog
13-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Bites tongue. :o

Is this official?

Rocket mentioned in post training interview and as mentioned by Mantis then reported in HUN.

bornadog
13-05-2011, 05:12 PM

Yes he hasn't been beaten this year plus he can jump higher the Morris. I guess Marcovic will pick up Vickery.

DOG GOD
13-05-2011, 05:13 PM

I'm not potting Markovic. On what I have seen so far of him he has done "ok" in the role he has been given. Jack Roo is a different cattle of fish, as he is quick on the lead and has an almighty leap from behind. How markovic would play him I am unsure of, but i dont want to find out, as he would be too slow to play from behind.

Regards to your comments about he might be the new lake...well we can only dream.

I hope he proves me wrong on sunday.

As I said, i have nothing against him, but we can't expect him to do the job Lake would normally do. He's not an attacking player. He's a more defensive type who can use his body well and spoil well. If he's going to play on Jack then he needs as much congestion as possible to help him out.

Greystache
13-05-2011, 05:15 PM

Looks like final team

Didn't see him on the training track either, wonder if he has a niggle.

EDIT- Although thinking about it now, I don't think any of the players not listed in the seniors trained today.

Mofra
13-05-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm not potting Markovic. On what I have seen so far of him he has done "ok" in the role he has been given. Jack Roo is a different cattle of fish, as he is quick on the lead and has an almighty leap from behind. How markovic would play him I am unsure of, but i dont want to find out, as he would be too slow to play from behind.
Markovic's body work is outstanding though - yes he is more of a negating defender than Lake, but he keeps touch on his opponent and uses this to avoid getting burnt on the lead (mostly). The contact may stop Jack from flying for too many grabs if the switch was made - given the height difference I'm worried about the Morris match up.
The KPPs Morris has done well on (Pav, Fev) are only 2cm taller than him.

Greystache
13-05-2011, 05:24 PM

Regards to your comments about he might be the new lake...well we can only dream.

I hope he proves me wrong on sunday.

As I said, i have nothing against him, but we can't expect him to do the job Lake would normally do. He's not an attacking player. He's a more defensive type who can use his body well and spoil well. If he's going to play on Jack then he needs as much congestion as possible to help him out.

Is Jack Riewoldt really that quick? I have to admit I haven't been to a neutral game he's played in so I could just focus on him, but my impression is he kicks goals due to his elite ability to read the flight, outstanding body work, contested marking, and huge leap. I'm not convinced Markovic isn't a reasonable match up.

Markovic's body work is outstanding though - yes he is more of a negating defender than Lake, but he keeps touch on his opponent and uses this to avoid getting burnt on the lead (mostly). The contact may stop Jack from flying for too many grabs if the switch was made - given the height difference I'm worried about the Morris match up.

While listed at 195cm it's pretty well accepted he's not actually that tall. Riewoldt himself acknowledges he's only about 193cm. The knock on him when being drafted was at 191cm he was a bit undersized to be a true KPF, but he grew quite a bit between 18 and 19, even still his growth has been exaggerated in the offical stats.

DragzLS1
13-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Markovic is playing very well dont see why he wouldnt be able to take on riewoldt. would be good for his experience aswell.. would rather markovic then lake atm..

Ozza
13-05-2011, 05:45 PM
My preference is that Morris gets first crack at Riewoldt, and Markovic to Vickery with Hargave to ease into it on Brad Miller.

I'm not worried about the defence though - I'm concerned with how we will kick a score. We are desperate for Gia and Sherman to kick 2 or 3 each at a minimum.

LostDoggy
13-05-2011, 05:45 PM

The most likely scenario is that Richmond will rotate the forward line to make sure Riewoldt is one on one with Hargrave, Miller is on Markovic, White or King on Morris , this means they can try to isolate Stack marking Vickery , Martin will probably try to get Nahas free by moving forward as the extra man , they will also try to pull Hargrave up the ground as many times as they can to blow him up , Griffen needs to get back to help him as often as he can , tough match for our defense

I,d like to see Sherman and Cooney rotate through FF , particularly the last 8 - 12 minutes of each quarter , the swap would be with Ward and Gia

G-Mo77
13-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Didn't see him on the training track either, wonder if he has a niggle.

EDIT- Although thinking about it now, I don't think any of the players not listed in the seniors trained today.

I think I read in one of the articles he is an emergency.

Desipura
13-05-2011, 10:04 PM
What happened to Senior players getting dropped? Not one senior player dropped.
Last chance for Gilbee, Hudson and Grant to find form or else the MC might actually pull the trigger this time next week.

G-Mo77
13-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Last chance for Gilbee, Hudson and Grant to find form or else the MC might actually pull the trigger this time next week.

Or the week after that. ;)

mjp
13-05-2011, 10:51 PM
The most likely scenario is that Richmond will rotate the forward line to make sure Riewoldt is one on one with Hargrave, Miller is on Markovic, White or King on Morris , this means they can try to isolate Stack marking Vickery , Martin will probably try to get Nahas free by moving forward as the extra man , they will also try to pull Hargrave up the ground as many times as they can to blow him up , Griffen needs to get back to help him as often as he can , tough match for our defense

I,d like to see Sherman and Cooney rotate through FF , particularly the last 8 - 12 minutes of each quarter , the swap would be with Ward and Gia

Really? They are going to rotate their forwards to our defenders are they?

I guess Riewoldt will be playing up on a wing then whilst Morris and Markovic will weld themselves to the goal line.

I get what you are saying - that they would be great matchups from a Richmond perspective - but there is not that much they can do about it.

SlimPickens
13-05-2011, 10:51 PM

Wouldn't say Grant is a senior player, was very surprised Gilbee got another game (maybe the sub). I'd say Huddo would have been dropped if Roughy played well last weekend in the twos.

Desipura
13-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Wouldn't say Grant is a senior player, was very surprised Gilbee got another game (maybe the sub). I'd say Huddo would have been dropped if Roughy played well last weekend in the twos.

Grant has become a regular since the start of last season therefore I classify him as a senior player.
Put it this way, if you play 1 or 2 bad games and you get dropped, you are either a first year player ie Libba or are not classified as a regular senior player by the MC ie Addison and Stack.

Mantis
13-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Grant has become a regular since the start of last season therefore I classify him as a senior player.
Put it this way, if you play 1 or 2 bad games and you get dropped, you are either a first year player ie Libba or are not classified as a regular senior player by the MC ie Addison and Stack.

Libba was rested last week.

Desipura
14-05-2011, 08:43 AM
Libba was rested last week.

Sorry, I was just using Libba as an example of 1st year player, not referring to when he was rested. I should have added 1st year players are either rested or dropped after 1 or 2 bad games.

LostDoggy
14-05-2011, 09:15 AM
I thought Libba looked like he needed a rest, he is very young and it's a big step up. He should come back fresh.

Rocco Jones
14-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Who should we go with as our sub? I'm dissapointed that DJ isn't in the side as I think he would suit the role more than the likely options we have in the selected 22.

Addison looks the 22nd player selected to me but his style probably suits starting and seeing if he fits into a role with the option of subbing him off.

I would like to see Gilbee given the chance in the role, somewhat similar to Milburn but if he is in the side for something, it's his versatility which we need due to so many players missing.

Libba's better games so far have involved great spurts before tiring, which suits the sub role. He missed last week, not sure if that will make the role more desirable or undesirable (ease him back into it vs use his fresh legs/get some game time back into him).

Moles probably gets it via default for me. He is our 21st/22nd picked and a runner. I don't really think he is greatly suited to the role though. Seems like the sub who will do whatever he was going to do as a starter, just over a shorter period.

JohnGentStand
14-05-2011, 06:23 PM
would think addison would have to be sub...not a midfielderwho wins the ball but versatile enough to cover a number of positions ( just not as 1st choice)

1eyedog
14-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Agree with all that.

Just need to show some faith and stick with it for a few weeks. DJ and Addison playing a role in the forward line should help us out defensively. We just need to persist with these guys for a few weeks and get some continuity with their roles.

Whos going to kick the goals? Jones? Grant?

LostDoggy
14-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Moles as the sub.

EasternWest
15-05-2011, 01:08 AM

Yes. High and high-ish draft picks selected for their forward line potential. Now's as good a time as any to have a breakout game, particularly Jones.

the banker
15-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Libba has to start, he has been one of our best performed first quarter players. Addison looks a logocal choice for sub.

Bumper Bulldogs
15-05-2011, 10:58 AM
I,d like to see Sherman and Cooney rotate through FF , particularly the last 8 - 12 minutes of each quarter , the swap would be with Ward and Gia.
I like it and if we use the ruckmen as the subs it could work out in our advantage, I think the richmond backs would be running off our big men so a few dangerous mids down their would have them second guessing what to do.

Before I Die
15-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Who should we go with as our sub? I'm dissapointed that DJ isn't in the side as I think he would suit the role more than the likely options we have in the selected 22.

Addison looks the 22nd player selected to me but his style probably suits starting and seeing if he fits into a role with the option of subbing him off.

I would like to see Gilbee given the chance in the role, somewhat similar to Milburn but if he is in the side for something, it's his versatility which we need due to so many players missing.

Libba's better games so far have involved great spurts before tiring, which suits the sub role. He missed last week, not sure if that will make the role more desirable or undesirable (ease him back into it vs use his fresh legs/get some game time back into him).

Moles probably gets it via default for me. He is our 21st/22nd picked and a runner. I don't really think he is greatly suited to the role though. Seems like the sub who will do whatever he was going to do as a starter, just over a shorter period.

Undoubtably the sub is the 22nd most important player in the team (read least important) and the player least likely to have a significant impact on the game. The possibility that through injury we may lose a starting 21 player with a defined role, means that the sub has to have a degree of flexibility though this can be offset by flexibility in the rest of the team.

Giving the role to first gamers and inexperienced players just being introduced to the team makes absolute sense to me.

Go_Dogs
15-05-2011, 01:12 PM

Would be good if they could both kick a couple.

We really need Hill, Gia, Murph (if forward) to each kick a couple too and the midfield must contribute a few goals as well.

LostDoggy
15-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Moles as the sub.

Yep good choice!

Swoop
16-05-2011, 02:58 PM
I'll be the first to acknowledge that I have questioned Eade's faith in the veterans at times but it would appear he got this one right.

At times we can all be quick to point the finger at his faults but on this occassion I must applaud him for getting it right.

Desipura
16-05-2011, 04:00 PM
I'll be the first to acknowledge that I have questioned Eade's faith in the veterans at times but it would appear he got this one right.

At times we can all be quick to point the finger at his faults but on this occassion I must applaud him for getting it right.
All 3 played a very big part in the win. We are still 3-4 so the next 4 weeks will tell us how far we can go this season. I expect our leaders to step up. If Ward can continue that form that he showed on the weekend, it will certainly help.