PDA

View Full Version : Round 8 Talk

LostDoggy
13-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Terrific game tonight.

The Cats look like a team really enjoying the freshness of a new coach, definitely contenders to the Pies.

bornadog
13-05-2011, 10:38 PM
I picked Collingwood but glad to see them lose.

LostDoggy
13-05-2011, 10:41 PM
I picked Collingwood but glad to see them lose.

I get genuinely excited by Menzel, going to be a gem for Geelong.

Greystache
13-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Looked like the two Grand Finalists this year to me. I think Collingwood are beatable too.

LostDoggy
13-05-2011, 10:44 PM
I thought it was good to see a team willing to tackle and play with purpose.

Remi Moses
13-05-2011, 10:46 PM
After all the Trengove hysteria and the call of the game resembling "Netball", just have a look at the collision with Toovey and Hawkins

Before I Die
13-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Looked like the two Grand Finalists this year to me. I think Collingwood are beatable too.

Fortunately the Grand Finalists are not selected in May. A week is a long time in footy, Five months is an eternity.

Collingwood should have gone down by five goals tonight. Jolly is a significant out, but I think the opposition coaches are starting to unravel Malthouse's game plan. Though, the willingness of the Pies midfielders to run hard both ways will always keep them in the game.

bornadog
13-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Fortunately the Grand Finalists are not selected in May. A week is a long time in footy, Five months is an eternity.

Collingwood should have gone down by five goals tonight. Jolly is a significant out, but I think the opposition coaches are starting to unravel Malthouse's game plan. Though, the willingness of the Pies midfielders to run hard both ways will always keep them in the game.

I think also Geelong have the best defence in the AFL and also have the scoring power up forward. They utilse a St Kilda/Collingwood like press but the difference to the Saints is they can kick goals (although they missed some easy ones tonight)

Before I Die
14-05-2011, 12:28 AM
I think also Geelong have the best defence in the AFL and also have the scoring power up forward. They utilse a St Kilda/Collingwood like press but the difference to the Saints is they can kick goals (although they missed some easy ones tonight)

In the first quarter especially, Collingwood couldn't get the ball into their forward line. Geelong didn't allow them the little dinky kicks to lead up players that they use to move the ball around the skinny side of the ground. They filled space and kept pressure on the lead up players. Most of the turnovers occurred between the 50 metre arcs. Collingwood only managed to score from a couple of fast breaks which their hard running mids turned into easy goals.

Desipura
14-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Collingwood were missing Johnson, Jolly, Maxwell to name a few, they would not have been too concerned with the loss.
The weather conditions did not suit Cloke and Dawes who were quiet

Ghost Dog
14-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Collingwood were missing Johnson, Jolly, Maxwell to name a few, they would not have been too concerned with the loss.

But you could counter that by saying the weather conditions did not suit Hawkins and Podsiadly either. If Jpod had slotted even two of his gimmes, and on not such a swirly night, goals to Ling and others would have sealed it.
Geelong seems happy to leak a few easy goals here and there, to keep the pressure tight in f50. Swan was beaten one on one a few times too by some young kid. Well done Cats

So what do we learn from this?

EasternWest
14-05-2011, 09:23 AM
But you could counter that by saying the weather conditions did not suit Hawkins and Podsiadly either. If Jpod had slotted even two of his gimmes, and on not such a swirly night, goals to Ling and others would have sealed it.
Geelong seems happy to leak a few easy goals here and there, to keep the pressure tight in f50. Swan was beaten one on one a few times too by some young kid. Well done Cats

So what do we learn from this?

Where do Geelong, who have been dominant for years, pull these gun kids from? Yeah they've got great support, but Menzell and Duncan look the goods. Christensen looks good, with a nice tough desperation. Even that Taylor Hunt kid is pretty good too.

Good luck, good drafting or do they know something we don't?

LostDoggy
14-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Is Wells stilll recruiting at Geelong? He is supposed to be one of the best.

azabob
14-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Where do Geelong, who have been dominant for years, pull these gun kids from? Yeah they've got great support, but Menzell and Duncan look the goods. Christensen looks good, with a nice tough desperation. Even that Taylor Hunt kid is pretty good too.

Good luck, good drafting or do they know something we don't?

Christenson from memory was father son and Menzel, Duncan were first round.

azabob
14-05-2011, 09:59 AM

He is still there, if only he took the gold coast bucks, he was first choice but said no.

GVGjr
14-05-2011, 10:05 AM

He has consistently proved himself to be an astute judge and seems to wanting to stay at Geelong for the long haul.

the banker
14-05-2011, 10:23 AM

Agree with this. Great game - but it is May. While we can match both these sides for intensity, I doubt we can do it for 4 quarters like they both did. Also very few clangers in difficult conditions. Pretty awesome match. Like Geelong culture. They believe.

The Collingwood loss brings a better perspective to the competition.

Mantis
14-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Agree with this. Great game - but it is May. While we can match both these sides for intensity, I doubt we can do it for 4 quarters like they both did. Also very few clangers in difficult conditions. Pretty awesome match. Like Geelong culture. They believe.

The Collingwood loss brings a better perspective to the competition.

I must have been watching a different game to you. The wind made it tough, but the skills weren't all that great - especially Swan's errant kick in the 3rd qtr which allowed Bartel to kick a crucial goal.

Go_Dogs
14-05-2011, 01:26 PM
I must have been watching a different game to you. The wind made it tough, but the skills weren't all that great - especially Swan's errant kick in the 3rd qtr which allowed Bartel to kick a crucial goal.

Agreed, didn't think it was a very highly skilled game. Super congestion and numbers around the ball, with very brief patches of fluid ball movement or someone being able to generate some pace out of a contest to clear a small amount of space and execute a hurried kick.

Intensity and commitment to the defensive efforts is the most important thing. Generate enough opportunity and you should win if you can kick straight - or like Geelong did last night, sometimes even if you can't.

LostDoggy
14-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Hehe-pies fans complaining Selwood is protected 1 vs 22

Greystache
14-05-2011, 02:17 PM

Dawes really seems to struggle in the wet, more so than most KPF's, similar to Bazza I suppose. He had a shocker against us, despite getting clear of Markovic quite a few times. I wonder if a final was to be played in the wet whether Collingwood would make the tough call and play a smaller emergency.

Sockeye Salmon
14-05-2011, 02:22 PM
After all the Trengove hysteria and the call of the game resembling "Netball", just have a look at the collision with Toovey and Hawkins

How are these two things related at all?

Footy is tougher than it's ever been. The players are bigger, faster and hit harder than they ever have.

But it still shits me to tears that you can't bump and can get reported - reported at all, let alone cop 3 weeks - for a perfectly legal tackle.

bornadog
14-05-2011, 02:52 PM

Footy is tougher than it's ever been. The players are bigger, faster and hit harder than they ever have.

But it still shits me to tears that you can't bump and can get reported - reported at all, let alone cop 3 weeks - for a perfectly legal tackle.

The bump on Gilbee was a perfect shirt front and there should never have been a report. You can still bump, just don't go for the head. You can still tackle but don't slam the guy in to the turf with both his arms pinged.

Remi Moses
14-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Christenson from memory was father son and Menzel, Duncan were first round.

Don't think He's related to former player Marty.

Remi Moses
14-05-2011, 03:59 PM

Trengove made a split decision to sling Dangerfield. It was a tackle with intent to injure, no he deserved a reprimand or a week at worst. I'm actually making reference to numerous talkback and SMS saturation on calling our game "Netball"

AndrewP6
14-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Don't think He's related to former player Marty.

A nephew of Marty and Damien, according to this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Christensen_(footballer)

Remi Moses
14-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Watched the Melb v Norf game, just wondering how it's possible a team could be outscored 19 goals to 6 after half way through the first.The lack of leadership at Melbourne stands out, the lack of consistent effort .

Scorlibo
15-05-2011, 03:43 AM
The bump on Gilbee was a perfect shirt front and there should never have been a report. You can still bump, just don't go for the head. You can still tackle but don't slam the guy in to the turf with both his arms pinged.

On the Gilbee bump, Richards caught his head = not the perfect shirt front.

Trengove made a split decision to sling Dangerfield. It was a tackle with intent to injure, no he deserved a reprimand or a week at worst. I'm actually making reference to numerous talkback and SMS saturation on calling our game "Netball"

It was a tackle with an intent to dispossess! It can be seen about ten times each match, often labelled the perfect tackle.

bornadog
15-05-2011, 10:39 AM
On the Gilbee bump, Richards caught his head = not the perfect shirt front. .

Didn't Richards get off with the report? If yes, he didn't hit him in the head.