PDA

View Full Version : Ch 7 flashback 2000 V Essendon

Ghost Dog
15-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Much enjoyed this flashback, with interviews with Barnes and Libba
Anyone else catch it or like to comment?

How's Brad, going up to Barnsey at the end of the game with the bird held high...
So much for sportsmanship!

EasternWest
16-05-2011, 12:28 AM

How's Brad, going up to Barnsey at the end of the game with the bird held high...

From a safe distance though.

bornadog
16-05-2011, 12:31 AM

Barnsey got a week for knocking out Brad but really should have been at least 4 to 5. As for the little slime Morcroft, coming off the bench and whacking Libba when he didn't see him during the half time dust up.

Scorlibo
16-05-2011, 03:20 AM

You realise that Barnes knocked Johnno out earlier in the match, nowhere near the ball, Johnno not even looking at Barnes? Pretty sure sportsmanship was left behind at that point!

This is my favourite match of all time, seeing as we've never won a major final in my lifetime, beating the premier, and being the only team to do so, was amazing. Especially seeing how there was so much at stake for in terms of finals, and Chris Grant and Scott West stepped up big time. Legends of the club.

LostDoggy
16-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Was at the game so I didn't get to see this flashback! Wish I could have relived it again! Such fond memories of that night, sitting in the middle of Essendon supporters who were not very sportsmanlike at the end! From memory, I was sitting in the pocket where Grant kicked that fab goal from to seal the game.......ah, memories!

Ghost Dog
16-05-2011, 11:39 AM
You realise that Barnes knocked Johnno out earlier in the match, nowhere near the ball, Johnno not even looking at Barnes? Pretty sure sportsmanship was left behind at that point!

This is my favourite match of all time, seeing as we've never won a major final in my lifetime, beating the premier, and being the only team to do so, was amazing. Especially seeing how there was so much at stake for in terms of finals, and Chris Grant and Scott West stepped up big time. Legends of the club.

Yes they showed the Barnes hit in slow motion and to tell the truth, I didn't think it was all that bad. Mind you, I've never copped a bump like that so what would I know? Mind you, Brad does have a pretty good history of playing possum ^_^

Ah Well..no fan of Essendon, but .what goes on the field stays on the field in my view.
That sort of thing happens on the field all the time. It's a contact sport!

And it was pretty funny how far Brad was when giving his spray..yes! ha from a very safe distance. :D

Didn't our backline have a blinder that day? Cox for example, a real unsung hero. Boy, they peppered it the 50 enough times and the boys kept spitting it out. I'd forgotten about the Bartlett mark as well, going off with the blood rule.

EasternWest
16-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Didn't our backline have a blinder that day? Cox for example, a real unsung hero. Boy, they peppered it the 50 enough times and the boys kept spitting it out. I'd forgotten about the Bartlett mark as well, going off with the blood rule.

Our backline was so underrated. They could get beaten, but never from a lack of effort.

Scott West was simply awesome in that fourth quarter. An out and out gun. Hard to know why he's not as revered as Grant (and yes, I do revere Grant).

bornadog
16-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Our backline was so underrated. They could get beaten, but never from a lack of effort.

Scott West was simply awesome in that fourth quarter. An out and out gun. Hard to know why he's not as revered as Grant (and yes, I do revere Grant).

What about those tackles from Libba on Lucas. Did you notice a very skinny and young Rob Murphy playing as well as Mitch Hahn.

The game has changed so much, total tackles were 34 a piece.

dadsgirl16
16-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Can anyone remember which end Chrissy won it from? I was there but have had an ongoing argument

with someone in the last few years.

Cheers

LostDoggy
16-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Can anyone remember which end Chrissy won it from? I was there but have had an ongoing argument

Cheers

It was the end to the left of screen (I only saw it on tv) which would be the LaTrobe St/Footscray End of the ground if they still film from the same side. :)

dadsgirl16
16-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Oh Dear

bornadog
16-05-2011, 03:06 PM
It was the end to the left of screen (I only saw it on tv) which would be the LaTrobe St/Footscray End of the ground if they still film from the same side. :)

Correct, I was right above him on level two............... oh what a feeling:)

LostDoggy
16-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Oh Dear

Did you just lose the argument?

Ghost Dog
16-05-2011, 04:11 PM
yeah, they had a highlight reel of Libba's tackles on Lucas. I think he sacked him 6 or so times. So good.... Libba is still quite buff is he not!

strebla
16-05-2011, 04:23 PM

Cheers

Yeah i was also the there on the top level in the opposite pocket definately the Footscray end.

dadsgirl16
16-05-2011, 05:04 PM
I just lost the argument but I'll keep it to myself!!

Murphy'sLore
20-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Finally managed to watch the last quarter of this last night. As I am so new to football a few things really stood out for me:

the play was hardly interrupted by the umpires once!! We can't seem to go for thirty seconds these days without a whistle being blown. Now I understand what you old blokes are going on about re the umps wrecking the game. :p

how baggy do those jumpers look, and why doesn't anyone wear long sleeves any more? (Because they look crap probably)

the sheer amount of space everyone seemed to be floating in

It was wonderful to see those legends like Westy and Grant in action. Jeez they were magnificent. And the special bonus of the Eagle with a full head of hair!!

bornadog
20-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Finally managed to watch the last quarter of this last night. As I am so new to football a few things really stood out for me:

the play was hardly interrupted by the umpires once!! We can't seem to go for thirty seconds these days without a whistle being blown. Now I understand what you old blokes are going on about re the umps wrecking the game. :p

how baggy do those jumpers look, and why doesn't anyone wear long sleeves any more? (Because they look crap probably)

the sheer amount of space everyone seemed to be floating in

It was wonderful to see those legends like Westy and Grant in action. Jeez they were magnificent. And the special bonus of the Eagle with a full head of hair!!

One thing you don't see on TV is the super flood that we employed to win this game. Almost every player stayed in the defensive half and Essendon had no way through.

We did this against Carlton two weeks earlier at Princes Park and won by 3 points. Carlton fans at my work (at the time)were calling us cheats for the way we played.:D

In the last game of that year before the finals, we tried it again against Hawthorn but we just couldn't sustain it and lost by 15 points.
The tactics Hawthorn used was to criss cross the ground around the 50 metre mark then get one of their longest kickers to kick over the flood. WE had a short backline then and we just couldn't hold them.

KT31
20-05-2011, 11:19 AM
We did this against Carlton two weeks earlier at Princes Park and won by 3 points. Carlton fans at my work (at the time)were calling us cheats for the way we played.:D

Ahh the ironey !!;)

Sockeye Salmon
20-05-2011, 11:31 AM
We did this against Carlton two weeks earlier at Princes Park and won by 3 points.

Thanks to one of the all time great umpiring decisions :D

bornadog
20-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks to one of the all time great umpiring decisions :D

Hey, SS I can't remember what happened even though I was there.

Sockeye Salmon
20-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Hey, SS I can't remember what happened even though I was there.

The winning goal was kicked by the Ugg Boot from a blatantly incorrect free. I think they paid too high when Bartlett dived on the ball.

That's what I remember the Carlton fans whinging about most.

Stinky Garlick kicked 6 that day, too.

The Coon Dog
20-05-2011, 11:43 AM
The winning goal was kicked by the Ugg Boot from a blatantly incorrect free. I think they paid too high when Bartlett dived on the ball.

That's what I remember the Carlton fans whinging about most.

Stinky Garlick kicked 6 that day, too.

A pimple faced Robert Murphy wearing #22 made his debut that day & kicked a late goal on the run.

The Pie Man
20-05-2011, 02:40 PM
A pimple faced Robert Murphy wearing #22 made his debut that day & kicked a late goal on the run.

Wobbling it home from 15 metres out at the 'Legends' stand end IIRC

He was very skinny

Mantis
20-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Wobbling it home from 15 metres out at the 'Legends' stand end IIRC

He was very skinny

It looked like they left one of the 'bigger' little league kids on after the break..

Sockeye Salmon
20-05-2011, 03:52 PM
It looked like they left one of the 'bigger' little league kids on after the break..

KT31 was waiting in the queue for Autographs for his pups in the summer of 99-00 when this kid of about 13 tried to push in up the front. KT31 quite rightly told the kid to get to the end of the queue like everyone else!

"I'm Robert Murphy and I'm here to sign some autographs" came the timid reply.

bornadog
20-05-2011, 03:54 PM
KT31 was waiting in the queue for Autographs for his pups in the summer of 99-00 when this kid of about 13 tried to push in up the front. KT31 quite rightly told the kid to get to the end of the queue like everyone else!

Did Murph have that hippy beany on:D

Murphy'sLore
20-05-2011, 04:30 PM

Bless!

w3design
20-05-2011, 06:57 PM

Love it!:)

KT31
23-05-2011, 11:56 AM

Not quite how I remember it, but never let.......etc.:)