PDA

View Full Version : Cooney acknowledged as playing injured

stefoid
16-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Cooney acknowledged as playing injured by Eade.

9% by foot. How is that in any way useful for the team? 10 of his 11 kicks went to the opposition - thats better than some of their own players!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-midfielder-adam-cooney-wins-rodney-eades-praise/comments-e6frf9jf-1226056398329

Cannot get my head around playing him at all. We would be better off playing someone else in the midfield, and letting cooney recover?

Djekurra I would say - OK, he turns it over. So does Cooney.

Templeton31
16-05-2011, 01:36 PM
I read that article and wondered whether this quote:

"Some players with his talent and his history could probably say: 'Ah, no, I'm not going to be able to play to that standard so I don't want to play because I'm going to hurt my reputation"

was a swipe at Brian Lake?

stefoid
16-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Dont know, but we played marco because we had to and have been rewarded.

We got Djekurra precisely to give us some ground level burst around the packs, Id say he is our best 'fit' for cooney. Not perfect, but you use what you have.

Use him now.

The Coon Dog
16-05-2011, 01:55 PM

"Some players with his talent and his history could probably say: 'Ah, no, I'm not going to be able to play to that standard so I don't want to play because I'm going to hurt my reputation"

That's the way I saw it.

comrade
16-05-2011, 02:03 PM

Of course it was.

always right
16-05-2011, 02:05 PM
It's a really difficult call. My understanding is that Cooney's knee is not going to get worse, suggesting it will remain as is or improve. Is he such a liability at the moment that you don't play him?

On the plus side he seemed to have no trouble finding the ball yesterday but for perhaps the first time ever, I had my heart in my mouth every time he had the ball in his hands. I think we can expect to see him up forward for most game time until his knee improves. I'm comfortable with that although it does leave us short on full time midfielders.

LostDoggy
16-05-2011, 02:10 PM
I hate the double standards our club dishes out.

One stage, we are not going to play injured players (Hall, Higgins spring to mind), then we do a complete flip and play an injured Cooney.

Not good enough Dogs.

always right
16-05-2011, 02:17 PM

One stage, we are not going to play injured players (Hall, Higgins spring to mind), then we do a complete flip and play an injured Cooney.

Not good enough Dogs.

Don't disagree but there are certainly players who can play through injury and still be contributors. I'd suggest Hall isn't one of those at this late stage of his career and Higgins has proved in the past that he is unable to provide sufficient run when he has groin complaints.

The Coon Dog
16-05-2011, 02:58 PM

Not good enough Dogs.

There are some type of injuries though that necessitate rest & others that don't. Rest those that need it, but if rest isn't going to help, then keep playing.

GVGjr
16-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Cooney acknowledged as playing injured by Eade.

9% by foot. How is that in any way useful for the team? 10 of his 11 kicks went to the opposition - thats better than some of their own players!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-midfielder-adam-cooney-wins-rodney-eades-praise/comments-e6frf9jf-1226056398329

Cannot get my head around playing him at all. We would be better off playing someone else in the midfield, and letting cooney recover?

Djekurra I would say - OK, he turns it over. So does Cooney.

To me this article is a slap at Lake and it remains to be seen if the club can turn it into a positive. I hope the club isn't making excuses for Cooney's poor form though

LostDoggy
16-05-2011, 07:08 PM
As I posted in the other thread

Cooney played within his limitations , he could only move a short distance and handpass, he had no speed off the mark , there were many occasions were he could have chased or blocked but he just could'nt run , his kicking was awkward and rushed , its entirely possible he played with a few needles , as far as I,m concerned if he needs an arthroscope to clean up some scar tissue/ cartilage or has a ligament strain then he goes and gets his knee fixed so he's good to go later in the season, there is no point risking him , put him on the LTIL and promote Barlow

azabob
16-05-2011, 07:08 PM
If it is a slap at Lake, regardless of Eades relationship with Lake I fear it won't end well.

LostDoggy
16-05-2011, 09:11 PM

Yes, KT31, thought the exact same thing! I reckon it might have been.....

Maddog37
16-05-2011, 09:21 PM
I reckon he was generalizing. It was more about the compliment to Cooney than anything else.

Nothing to do with Brian.