PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Callan Ward

w3design
16-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Since the dat he debuted he has been one of my favorite players and yesterday's performance made me think the sky's the limit for this kid with his toughness, desire for the ball and innate sense of where the ball will go. He was used very effectively yesterday too, really like him coming off the wing and both linking up when the usual suspects have won it in the center or winning it himself. And the way he used it, which was the area that occasionally seemed suspect..wow!

When he played his first game I recall either Murph or Darce confidently predicting he was a 200 game player. The question is, with whom? The idea of this local boy going elsewhere makes me see red.

Some posters here seem to have good insight into the club workings so what do people know about our chances of keeping Ward? The 'do' suggests a laid back relaxed character.Who are his mates and influences around the club? What is the sense of what might drive him and how he would rate friendship, family, loyalty above financial security?

The Coon Dog
16-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Hard to know.

Managers now are a bit cagey & they themselves can be the driving force in delaying contract negotiations.

If the player though wants to stay he's just got to instruct his manager to get the ball rolling.

LostDog
16-05-2011, 09:11 PM
I will be very dissapointed if we do not sign this young star.

azabob
16-05-2011, 09:17 PM
I will rip up my membership if this kid is let go

You can't be serious? We cannot offer no where the same dollars as GWS. There is no chance we would "let" him go.

The Coon Dog
16-05-2011, 09:25 PM

So if he's already signed, what can our club do about it?

If he's offered a squillion dollars & agrees to go, what can our club do about it?

I think you're being a bit harsh suggesting Callan is 'let go'. The decision (should he elect to go) is not one of our club's making, we'd just be victims of the new club's concessions.

At the end of the day, you can shove your membership up your arse for all I care! Can't stand people who attach conditions to their memberships, so just do everyone a favour now & cut the bloody thing up, better still, join those social misfits we beat yesterday, your attitude would be more akin there!:rolleyes:

Jasper
16-05-2011, 09:31 PM

If he's offered a squillion dollars & agrees to go, what can our club do about it?

I think you're being a bit harsh suggesting Callan is 'let go'. The decision (should he elect to go) is not one of our club's making, we'd just be victims of the new club's concessions.

At the end of the day, you can shove your membership up your arse for all I care! Can't stand people who attach conditions to their memberships, so just do everyone a favour now & cut the bloody thing up, better still, join those social misfits we beat yesterday, your attitude would be more akin there!:rolleyes:

That is one of the best posts I've seen in a long while - completely agree.

chef
16-05-2011, 09:45 PM

Well said TCD.

I have the feeling he's gone, hope I'm wrong:(

w3design
16-05-2011, 09:46 PM
While I'm sure we won't meekly 'let' Cal go, we have to hope we're as smart as possible in our tactics to keep him. I guess that's what I was asking, what drives this kid and how can we appeal to that, whether it's ultimate team success, mateship etc. Shaun Higgins said when he re-signed that the financial rewards on offer from GC were not remotely comparable to what the dogs put on the table. Money isn't the only driver for everyone, what makes Cal tick, how can we counter what we know is going to be a massive pitch.

I won't be tearing up my membership, whatever happens, but it would hurt much, much more to see him play elsewhere than I can remember for any other player that's left us in recent times.

Mantis
16-05-2011, 09:46 PM

Do you actually think before you post?

I really wonder sometimes....

Go_Dogs
16-05-2011, 09:53 PM
I'm not convinced he's gone, and I think he's got every right to delay talks. If his form keeps trending like it is, he'll get a significantly better deal at years end than he currently would.

Let's hope he stays, because he's going to be a very good player (if he's not already there).

boydogs
16-05-2011, 10:28 PM
How high is he on the GWS priority list? I reckon they'll snag a couple of others before Ward. Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Swan, Scully, Martin etc.

bulldogsfight
16-05-2011, 10:33 PM
go now

azabob
16-05-2011, 10:34 PM
How high is he on the GWS priority list? I reckon they'll snag a couple of others before Ward. Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Swan, Scully, Martin etc.

That's the problem, all bar Ward and Scully have indicated they are staying.

Bumper Bulldogs
16-05-2011, 10:50 PM
That's the problem, all bar Ward and Scully have indicated they are staying.

I confident that we can keep him. I think the clubs been fantastic to him/with him and he seems the type of guy that will not move too far from home. His level headed and from all I've heard loves the club and the place.

After seeing the GC getting flogged and the years they will need to play finals he will not want to miss out on our flag window.

He is the next Chris Grant. That said I hope Chris is getting in his ear.

w3design
16-05-2011, 11:24 PM
I confident that we can keep him. I think the clubs been fantastic to him/with him and he seems the type of guy that will not move too far from home. His level headed and from all I've heard loves the club and the place.

After seeing the GC getting flogged and the years they will need to play finals he will not want to miss out on our flag window.

He is the next Chris Grant. That said I hope Chris is getting in his ear.

I agree he looks very settled, happy. Local boy, see him around Yarraville, and always speaks in a team-oriented way. (trying to convince myself here..)

Liked the quote from Cal in today's Age, that they didn't need to look far for inspiration, as Cross came out of injury room sporting usual quota of stitches. Hope that inspires him in other ways!

LostDoggy
17-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Who's the recruiter who has their grubby fingers all over the GWS, Clayton-style?

In Lostdogs defense, i'm sure it was a throw away line. Some should think before they get caught up in the emotion of replying.

Mantis
17-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Who's the recruiter who has their grubby fingers all over the GWS, Clayton-style?

'Grubby'... sorry 'Gubby' Allen.

In Lostdogs defense, i'm sure it was a throw away line. Some should think before they get caught up in the emotion of replying.

Why defend the indefensable?

LD loves potting the club and was called on it - Do you really think the club will let a player of Callan's calibre go?? Throw-away line or not he needs to think before he posts.

dog town
17-05-2011, 09:13 AM
While its not great to think some supporters would tear up memberships after losing one of our best young players I dont think we should just accept that we did all we could. We lost one of our best players last year and if we lose Ward I would say that would make us the team that has come out the worst from the expansion teams recruiting. That means 15 teams did it better than us. Questions should be asked if it happens.

LostDoggy
17-05-2011, 09:32 AM
While its not great to think some supporters would tear up memberships after losing one of our best young players I dont think we should just accept that we did all we could. We lost one of our best players last year and if we lose Ward I would say that would make us the team that has come out the worst from the expansion teams recruiting. That means 15 teams did it better than us. Questions should be asked if it happens.

Not sure Brisbane did too well.

Mantis, i haven't noticed LDs' constant potting of the club previously, so i'll take your word on that.

So what are you saying re: The club letting ward go? if he's out of contract, then they can't do anything except offer what they can afford (which should be the highest and major priority of all OOC players this season). If he goes then we're bound by whatever the AFL deem as compensation.

I'd hope to EJ they wouldn't let him go due to his calibre, but Harbs went last year, albeit different personal circumstances, but the calibre was still there.

The Coon Dog
17-05-2011, 09:36 AM

I think Geelong will feel they lost a pretty good player, but I take your point.

Agree that question should be asked, but that's a much better position to adopt than not renewing memberships.

Some should also think before they post nonsense as Lost Dog did.

Mantis
17-05-2011, 09:44 AM
So what are you saying re: The club letting ward go? if he's out of contract, then they can't do anything except offer what they can afford (which should be the highest and major priority of all OOC players this season). If he goes then we're bound by whatever the AFL deem as compensation.

I'd hope to EJ they wouldn't let him go due to his calibre, but Harbs went last year, albeit different personal circumstances, but the calibre was still there.

Yep, if Ward wants to go we are powerless to stop him.

As stated all we can do is offer the best contract we can afford and hope that he wants to stay at our club.... It was the same with Harbrow.

LostDoggy
17-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Being a local boy might actually count against our case — what young bloke doesn't want to get out there and do something different?

dog town
17-05-2011, 10:03 AM
I think Geelong will feel they lost a pretty good player, but I take your point.

. Ablett won 2 flags with Geelong and was offered an insane amount of money. I would understand losing someone in that situation. As the best club of the last few years it was only logical that GC would throw everything at that clubs best player.

Every other club is in the same position as us so if we are the only club that loses 2 quality players I think a bit of anger is justified. Hopefully it is a non issue and Ward plays for us for a long time.

Bulldog Revolution
17-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Yep, if Ward wants to go we are powerless to stop him.

As stated all we can do is offer the best contract we can afford and hope that he wants to stay at our club.... It was the same with Harbrow.

I'm inclined to agree

It's not like Harbrow wouldn't have realised he was a coaching staff and dogs fan favourite - we loved that courageous little midget AND we love Ward, but it will be his call

Sure, woo the guy, but Ward must know the coaches, players and supporters love the way he goes about it

Murphy'sLore
17-05-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm going to feel much more upset about losing Ward (if he goes) than I did about Harbrow, who was at least going home (or somewhere vaguely near it).

If it'll help I'll send 20 cents of my kids' pocket money stuck to a letter begging him to stay...

Ghost Dog
17-05-2011, 11:59 AM

I laugh whenever I read this. Maybe the club should issue some 'stress emergency' memberships that can be ripped up at will. :D

Ghost Dog
17-05-2011, 12:11 PM
how about a people's campaign to keep Callan?
using social media, twitter, Letters.
It worked for Chris grant and I think he's glad he stayed.
If he came to training one day with a small truck load of mail, I'm sure he would be pretty impressed...

Re Gablett example.... at least Wardy seems to like the coach. One wonders if the whole Bummer Thompson thing played a part.
The other thing is, they pretty much offered to set up Gabletts whole family up there. GWS won't have that leverage over Ward as his family are not footballers who might be looking for a contract ( Nathan ) or a coaching role ( senior )

Also, I defend anyone's right to say " I'm gonna tear up my membership" ( personally, it's a pretty childish thing to say) because footy is one of those things that allows people to vent. It's far worse on Big footy, and hey, if you wanna tear up your membership you go right ahead and do it! or get on Swisse multivitamins...whatever makes you feel better.

The ones who always say this are usually the ones who celebrate the most when we win! Unspoken 'moderators' / post policement on this forum should take a chill pill and have a laugh IMO.

Maddog37
17-05-2011, 12:53 PM
I laugh whenever I read this. Maybe the club should issue some 'stress emergency' memberships that can be ripped up at will. :D

:)
We could put it in a glass case and have the old break in case of emergency sign on it.

mjp
17-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Also, I defend anyone's right to say " I'm gonna tear up my membership" ( personally, it's a pretty childish thing to say) because footy is one of those things that allows people to vent. It's far worse on Big footy, and hey, if you wanna tear up your membership you go right ahead and do it! or get on Swisse multivitamins...whatever makes you feel better.

And I defend anyone telling those peanuts that they are peanuts!

The ones who always say they will 'tear up their memberships' are usually the ones who heap abuse on our players when we lose. Unspoken 'moderators' / post policement on this forum should take a chill pill and allow people who say stupid things to be challenged.

LostDoggy
17-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Kids can get blinded by the almighty dollar. I probably wont be surprised either way if he stays or goes. Depends if he can see a future with GWS, finacial and/or professional achievement. Time will tell.

I'm going to have some luch now, "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse". Before anyone jumps down my throat I'm not actually going to eat a horse, it is just something I'm saying to convey my emotion. Come on guys, take thing with a little grain of salt. I know the ripping up of the membership quote touches nerves but if that dude hasn't diched the club on past events and seasons I don't think he is serious saying 'if Ward leaves I'm done'.

Grantysghost
17-05-2011, 02:44 PM
how about a people's campaign to keep Callan?

Maybe we could all grow our hair long in support? Would make an interesting sight by our last home game, couple that with Rock of Ages and we could be headbanging in unison come rd 22!

Murphy'sLore
17-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Rainbow wigs.

Desipura
17-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Maybe we could all grow our hair long in support? Would make an interesting sight by our last home game, couple that with Rock of Ages and we could be headbanging in unison come rd 22!

There might be a few comb overs (myself excluded as I have a full head of hair)

LostDoggy
17-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Maybe we could all grow our hair long in support?

I'm on it.

LostDoggy
17-05-2011, 03:04 PM

Those plastic membership cards are hard to rip... saved mine vs St Kilda last year :D

LostDoggy
17-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Place the guy in the leadership group next season and as a vice the following season, let him know how important he is. He showed a lot of leadership on the weekend and has in other games.

dadsgirl16
17-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Change of avatar to show my support behind "Keeping Ward at Whitten Oval"!!!!!!

Let me know when to start growing the bouffant!

stefoid
17-05-2011, 03:09 PM

Mate, its not a level playing field. The pies can offer their superstars all sorts of deals for non-footy related payments and after they retire they willl "look after them" and all that. We simply cant afford to do that, we are stretched paying the legal salary cap.

Just ask Chris Judd, environmental ambassador to Visi Corp. :rolleyes:

Unless you are suggesting we fight fire with fire and Callan Ward becomes environmental Ambassador to Sims metal.

yeah, that could work.

p.s. If Callan Ward leaves, Im letting one rip...

stefoid
17-05-2011, 03:11 PM

I think richmond issues theirs with a perforated seperator for convenience :D

Murphy'sLore
17-05-2011, 03:33 PM
I think richmond issues theirs with a perforated seperator for convenience :D

This really did make me LOL. :D

Ghost Dog
17-05-2011, 03:37 PM
And I defend anyone telling those peanuts that they are peanuts!

The ones who always say they will 'tear up their memberships' are usually the ones who heap abuse on our players when we lose. Unspoken 'moderators' / post policement on this forum should take a chill pill and allow people who say stupid things to be challenged.

You may not have torn up your membership, but if you haven;t broken, smashed, flung or kicked anything in your journey as a Bulldog fan, I'm deeply suspect. :D

strebla
17-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Never even thought about tearing up my membership (though the dog does hide when we are getting beaten in close games) .No-one will be more dissapointed than I if Callan leaves but the club is bigger than the individual and if we have to break the law to keep him sorry can't and won't do it. Lets just hope his ties in our western suburbs are strong enough to keep him as I believe he is our next captain.

dog town
17-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Mate, its not a level playing field. The pies can offer their superstars all sorts of deals for non-footy related payments and after they retire they willl "look after them" and all that. We simply cant afford to do that, we are stretched paying the legal salary cap.

Unless you are suggesting we fight fire with fire and Callan Ward becomes environmental Ambassador to Sims metal.

yeah, that could work.

p.s. If Callan Ward leaves, Im letting one rip... Well I include these things in the the questions that need to be asked category. If we are the only team to lose 2 quality players then I think supporters have every right to be annoyed. Whether its the clubs fault or the systems fault is the question that would need to be asked at that time. As I said before I am praying that this is a non issue and Ward signs with us. It is not really fair to speculate until we find out what Ward is doing.

strebla
17-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Well I include these things in the the questions that need to be asked category. If we are the only team to lose 2 quality players then I think supporters have every right to be annoyed. Whether its the clubs fault or the systems fault is the question that would need to be asked at that time. As I said before I am praying that this is a non issue and Ward signs with us. It is not really fair to speculate until we find out what Ward is doing.

Brisbane have lost a couple of pretty handy types already although i can understand your frustration we can only offer what the cap has in it unfortunately they have a truckload of room but in two years when their kids need to re-sighn it will be completely different.

dog town
17-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Brisbane have lost a couple of pretty handy types already although i can understand your frustration we can only offer what the cap has in it unfortunately they have a truckload of room but in two years when their kids need to re-sighn it will be completely different. Rischitelli is a good player but he would have left regardless of the GC. I dont have a heap of time for Brennan as a player but thats only my opinion.

Other clubs with far more talented lists than ours have managed to either avoid losing anyone or limited the players lost to overpaid or less talented players. I fully understand we need to operate within the rules but so does every other club.

I dont really want to delve to deeply into this because Ward could sign tomorrow and that would be a good result.

Hotdog60
17-05-2011, 07:56 PM

yeah, that could work.

p.s. If Callan Ward leaves, Im letting one rip...

Taco Callan, works for me or burritos Ward

LostDog
17-05-2011, 08:23 PM

LD loves potting the club and was called on it - Do you really think the club will let a player of Callan's calibre go?? Throw-away line or not he needs to think before he posts.[/QUOTE]

Please Explain??

w3design
17-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Seeing The Age dubbed him the 'pool cleaner' in honor of his hairstyle, maybe that could be an 'ambassador ' option!

Jasper
17-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Lets face it with that hair, if Callan grows a porn star moustaka, we know he's gone...Kings Cross and a pimping career beckons.

LostDog
17-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Do you actually think before you post?

I really wonder sometimes....

My comment that has created a lot of angst for one or two people and provoked some overly personal attacks on me is surprising given it was nothing more than a throw away line about how important that I believe it is for the club to make every attempt to keep Ward at the Whitten Oval.
For Mantis to suggest otherwise and question my integrity says more about him than me

Stevo
17-05-2011, 09:43 PM

LD loves potting the club and was called on it - Do you really think the club will let a player of Callan's calibre go?? Throw-away line or not he needs to think before he posts.

I don't bother to join in the discussion that much now and comments like this aimed to do nothing more than ridicule another member is one of the reasons why. He made an ill advised comment that is all.
For you to link it to the fact that Lost Dog doesn't cheer lead the club as much as you would like is very petty of you. He's entitled to his opinion.

LostDoggy
19-05-2011, 01:13 AM
Well I include these things in the the questions that need to be asked category. If we are the only team to lose 2 quality players then I think supporters have every right to be annoyed. Whether its the clubs fault or the systems fault is the question that would need to be asked at that time. As I said before I am praying that this is a non issue and Ward signs with us. It is not really fair to speculate until we find out what Ward is doing.

It's a sick joke and we've already had our rear ends stretched.... Yeah, yeah we signed up for this bullcrud as did ever other team but it's remains my number 1 AFL bite my chunky one issue :mad:

MrMahatma
19-05-2011, 04:21 AM
It all depends on the strategy GWS take. They may go for just one big fish (for marketing purposes as much as any) and then go for 10+ mid-range players. That'll limit their ability to pay overs.

The first month of the Suns would've made them possibly reconsider going all kids - but the Suns have improved a lot - I guess it'll depend on the quality of kids GWS have already.

In the end, we can speculate all we want, but until it happens we're just spinning our wheels.

Hotdog60
19-05-2011, 06:39 AM
There's a video interview on the dogs site after Callan's game and at the end of the clip Denis gave him a big rap and said you'll be a future leader at the club, do we have any body language experts on Woof might be any to read something in his reaction.;)

Mantis
19-05-2011, 09:09 AM
For Mantis to suggest otherwise and question my integrity says more about him than me

What does it say about me?... Nah, never mind.

I didn't pick up the vibe that you were being light-hearted with your comment, and I wasn't alone, if you were all good and well, but I don't take too kindly to people who post like posts.... which I guess was evident by my reaction.

----

Anyway here is an article from today's Herald Sun:

Bulldogs face nervous wait over Callum Ward as the Giants target the rising star (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/time-to-ward-off-greater-western-sydney/story-e6frf9jf-1226058608548)

The Coon Dog
19-05-2011, 09:13 AM
Anyway here is an article from todays's Herald Sun

Bulldogs face nervous wait over Callum Ward as the Giants target the rising star (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/time-to-ward-off-greater-western-sydney/story-e6frf9jf-1226058608548)
Poor effort from the Herald Sun to get Cal's name wrong in the headline.

choconmientay
19-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Poor effort from the Herald Sun to get Cal's name wrong in the headline.

Aslong as the 'Callum Ward' is going to GWS and we can keep our Callan Ward ... it's all OK I guess. :D

Sockeye Salmon
19-05-2011, 09:27 AM
I don't think the media got any wrong with GWS.

$700K per season? I think we're in big trouble.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-05-2011, 09:30 AM
good to see this come out in the media. could force pressure on ward to give a response on his indications. if he hides from the media for another few weeks and our other players give the same old answers to questions about him then i think he is gone

Daughter of the West
19-05-2011, 10:05 AM

Man....if I were 21/22 and being offerred $700k a year, I wouldn't know if I were Arthur or Martha (actually, if someone offerred me that right now, it would probably be the same result)!

I will be very, very upset if he goes, but what do you do? We just have to wear it unfortunately.

And HUN....get your freakin' headlines right!!! :mad:

LostDoggy
19-05-2011, 10:07 AM

Although not hearing an answer from Cal scares everyone into thinking he will go. I have full confidence that he will stay, Essendon offered him a Million over 3 years, the team he followed as a kid, he stayed for 180 a year with us. Cal is extremely family orientated and it will take more than 700 a year to take him interstate. Personally if we offer him 250 - 300 I have no doubt he wont be going anywhere. If he went to Sydney it would be to play for the Swans not GWS.

Sockeye Salmon
19-05-2011, 10:20 AM
We could be in the position that to keep Ward and Wood we might have to sacrifice some or all of Hudson, Hall, Gilbee and Hargrave.

EasternWest
19-05-2011, 10:26 AM

Crikey. If the figure's anywhere near that we might as well accept that he's gone. Who could blame him?

LostDoggy
19-05-2011, 10:37 AM
We could be in the position that to keep Ward and Wood we might have to sacrifice some or all of Hudson, Hall, Gilbee and Hargrave.

I dont think Hall will play on and If it came down to it I would rather thank Hall for everything but sorry we need the cash.

Mantis
19-05-2011, 10:45 AM

I would think Hudson & Hall will finish up at the end of this year anyway.

Further to your point I would think that all of our 27+ y.o's who would come out of contract might be asked to take a pay decrease which might mean we lose one of these as well if they aren't prepared to do so.

Sockeye Salmon
19-05-2011, 10:48 AM
I would think Hudson & Hall will finish up at the end of this year anyway.

Further to your point I would think that all of our 27+ y.o's who would come out of contract might be asked to take a pay decrease which might mean we lose one of these as well if they aren't prepared to do so.

Lake needs to go onto the vets list so at least one of Hargrave or Gilbee will have to go as well.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-05-2011, 11:40 AM

Maybe the Board should commence discussions with the likes of Mission Foods in the same way that Pratt did to sway Judd to move to Carlton at the expense of Collingwood. There are now over 100 AFL players on marketing agreements outside the salary cap.
Callan Ward has the potential to be a future leader of the club and every effort should be made to retain his services. Unfortunately we have too many players in the 28 year old plus age bracket, which is not a good look going forward. Ward has rapidly become one of our 6 most valuable players this year. It becomes a "no brainer" to do all possible to retain his services.

Bulldog4life
19-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Even if Cal wants to stay you would imagine that his Management have advised him not to discuss extending his contract with us till the end of the year. That way the Club would be in a better position to know how much they can offer Cal, taking into account delistings & retirements.
As long as he hasn't signed already we still have a chance.

Desipura
19-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Gia and Cross are 2 others we could sacrifice, not on top of the players listed. I am saying they could replace Hargrave and Hall for example.

LostDoggy
19-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Sacificing AFL standard players is not the way to manage the salary cap. Players aged 28+ are either worth their place in the side (ie capable of playing at AFL level) or not.

If they are not worth their place in the side then they go as would a 24 year old. There is nothing to be gained by replacing an older player capable of playing in the side with a draftee who may not be ready for 2-3 years, simply to save money.

The new TV rights deal will create some breathing space. Yes, I realise there is a new players agreement about to be signed but clubs will be compensated for that separately

There is also the issue of player morale and future player loyalty at play here. Clubs cannot expect player loyalty if they are prepared to prematurely end a player's career because they have not managed their salary cap in an efficient manner.

1eyedog
19-05-2011, 03:32 PM

Really? I'd like to hear what Brisbane has to say about that while watching Rischetelli and Brennan cut them up last week.

1eyedog
19-05-2011, 03:36 PM

Cross and Gia?

1eyedog
19-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Sacificing AFL standard players is not the way to manage the salary cap. Players aged 28+ are either worth their place in the side (ie capable of playing at AFL level) or not.

If they are not worth their place in the side then they go as would a 24 year old. There is nothing to be gained by replacing an older player capable of playing in the side with a draftee who may not be ready for 2-3 years, simply to save money.

The new TV rights deal will create some breathing space. Yes, I realise there is a new players agreement about to be signed but clubs will be compensated for that separately

There is also the issue of player morale and future player loyalty at play here. Clubs cannot expect player loyalty if they are prepared to prematurely end a player's career because they have not managed their salary cap in an efficient manner.

Do they really still expect it? Free agency is just around the corner and given the underhandedness of recruiting with GC and potentially GWS I think loyalty will soon be (if not already) a thing of the past.

Sockeye Salmon
19-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Cross and Gia?

Would both be well ahead of Hudson and Hall on the "must keep" list.

One of Gilbee or Hargrave must go so Lake's big salary can half go on the vets list

w3design
19-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Where would we rank him in money we are prepared to pay ? I presume Cooney and Lake would be our highest paid players. Is Cal in a bracket with Grif and Higgins for example?

Players took a pay cut to keep Ego. Wonder if they would do similar for Callan?

chef
19-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Where would we rank him in money we are prepared to pay ? I presume Cooney and Lake would be our highest paid players. Is Cal in a bracket with Grif and Higgins for example?

We need to pay him whatever it takes to keep him IMO. I have no problems with Callan being the highest played player on our list next year.

EasternWest
19-05-2011, 07:43 PM

My opinion is that he's below Griff, above Higgins.

w3design
19-05-2011, 07:51 PM
My opinion is that he's below Griff, above Higgins.

Agree with this, wonder if it will still be the same at the end of the year though?

ratsmac
19-05-2011, 08:26 PM
700k, I would go. Clubs are rarely loyal to players so why should a player be loyal to a club. Lets face it, football is now a business and from Callan's point of view, 700k a season is a good business move. I would be absolutely shattered if Callan leaves but can you blame him?
We lost Harbrow last year and we picked up Sherman. That's not that bad. If we lost Harbrow and got nothing well that would be different. The graveyard is full of indispensable people! Callan Ward is a gun but sometimes things don't play out the way we would like.
Callan Ward please stay :(

MrMahatma
19-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Question is: by year end with Wallis and Libba coming through - is Cross still in our best 22.

The morale/loyalty point is valid but I'm not sure Cross will be a walk up start in 2012.

GVGjr
19-05-2011, 08:35 PM
We need to pay him whatever it takes to keep him IMO. I have no problems with Callan being the highest played player on our list next year.

That sort of approach isn't the right thing for the club as it has the potential to create a lot of angst for the playing group.
To me the whole effort of keeping Callan at the club is just part of our list management strategy and we should offer a more than fair contract but not something that becomes a noose around our necks somewhere down the track.

azabob
19-05-2011, 08:36 PM
It comes down to values and beliefs. A brilliant example of this is Will Hopoate. He has stepped away from the NRL for two years due to his religious beliefs.

GVGjr
19-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Question is: by year end with Wallis and Libba coming through - is Cross still in our best 22.

The morale/loyalty point is valid but I'm not sure Cross will be a walk up start in 2012.

Cross should be in our best 22 for the next few seasons and if he isn't, then we should have won a flag.

gohardorgohome
19-05-2011, 08:43 PM
I hope Callan Ward wins our Best and Fairest this year....it may give extra reason to stay at the dogs .....and it should mean that we get a better compensation pick if he leaves.....win ..win situation to me....

I think Sherman has been a fair compensation for Harbrow..

Sockeye Salmon
19-05-2011, 09:09 PM
700k, I would go. Clubs are rarely loyal to players so why should a player be loyal to a club. Lets face it, football is now a business and from Callan's point of view, 700k a season is a good business move. I would be absolutely shattered if Callan leaves but can you blame him?
(

I reckon that's bollocks. Clubs are way more loyal to players than the other way around.

AFL rules say you must have 3 draft picks each year so someone has to go. If you're not up to it, the call has to be made.

I can think of 2 blokes we have shipped off against their will - Brett Montgomery and Stephen Powell. I can think of 2 dozen who have walked out on us.

chef
19-05-2011, 09:43 PM
That sort of approach isn't the right thing for the club as it has the potential to create a lot of angst for the playing group.
To me the whole effort of keeping Callan at the club is just part of our list management strategy and we should offer a more than fair contract but not something that becomes a noose around our necks somewhere down the track.

I'm of the opinion Ward will be the second best player on our list next year(behind Griffen) and will be worth every cent that we pay him. If this puts any other players nose's out of joint than that's their bad luck.

chef
19-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Cross should be in our best 22 for the next few seasons and if he isn't, then we should have won a flag.

That's a big call IMO.

LostDoggy
19-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Facebook page, link. (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Callan-Ward-Stay-At-The-Western-Bulldogs/222383471107562)

LostDoggy
19-05-2011, 10:05 PM
I'm of the opinion Ward will be the second best player on our list next year(behind Griffen) and will be worth every cent that we pay him. If this puts any other players nose's out of joint than that's their bad luck.

Adam Cooney just fell off his couch

AndrewP6
19-05-2011, 10:15 PM

Was he planking??? :)

LostDoggy
19-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Was he planking??? :)

No but he is now:)

AndrewP6
19-05-2011, 10:41 PM
No but he is now:)

I just had a thought (welcome it, it's an only child!) - maybe Coon's antics in Honkers were the first ever mobile-planking!!!

GVGjr
19-05-2011, 11:06 PM

I'm not sure it would be just their bad luck as there is a bigger picture you are simply ignoring.
FWIW, I wouldn't be prepared to pay over the top for potential and disregarding others as you seem to be suggesting isn't a good recipe for success.

The Hawks made it very clear to their playing group a few years back when the won the flag that if money is the primary reason for them staying then the Hawks would do what they could to help them transition to another club. We should do everything within reason to keep a player like Ward but not at the risk of the bigger picture.

EasternWest
19-05-2011, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't be prepared to pay over the top for potential and disregarding others as you seem to be suggesting isn't a good recipe for success.

We've been doing that with Higgins for years.

w3design
19-05-2011, 11:54 PM
We lost Harbrow last year and we picked up Sherman. That's not that bad. If we lost Harbrow and got nothing well that would be different. The graveyard is full of indispensable people! Callan Ward is a gun but sometimes things don't play out the way we would like.
Callan Ward please stay :(
It's still a business where the ultimate achievement is to play in a premiership. That has to be our trump card, surely? It's not a question of him staying with us for zilch. You'd hope he'd be weighing up an offer from us even if it was around 400k against:
Much less likely to play in a premiership
Leaving mates and family and the Melbourne footy culture
Cost of living in Sydney (and outer western Sydney is not all that appealing TBH)
Being a one club player still has prestige and gives some players a lot of pride

These factors might keep us in the race. Didnt Bob Murphy put a letter in his locker before Cal's first game? Murph, time to get out the pen again...

Drunken Bum
20-05-2011, 12:01 AM
It's still a business where the ultimate achievement is to play in a premiership. That has to be our trump card, surely? It's not a question of him staying with us for zilch. You'd hope he'd be weighing up an offer from us even if it was around 400k against:
Much less likely to play in a premiership

as sad as it is for me to say it but i fear we will see a gws flag before a Dogs one, sure over their first 3 years in the comp they will struggle and we should have more success but after that gws and gc are going to dominate for a while unless they somehow manage to completely stuff things up :/

chef
20-05-2011, 08:14 AM

Your living in the past if you think that's the case.

GVGjr
20-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Your living in the past if you think that's the case.

Is this the same guy that you wanted as captain?

chef
20-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Is this the same guy that you wanted as captain?

I wanted Murphy.

Edit.
I wanted Boyd:o
http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=7363&highlight=Murphy

chef
20-05-2011, 09:02 AM
I'm not sure it would be just their bad luck as there is a bigger picture you are simply ignoring.
FWIW, I wouldn't be prepared to pay over the top for potential and disregarding others as you seem to be suggesting isn't a good recipe for success.

The Hawks made it very clear to their playing group a few years back when the won the flag that if money is the primary reason for them staying then the Hawks would do what they could to help them transition to another club. We should do everything within reason to keep a player like Ward but not at the risk of the bigger picture.

The bigger picture to me is we have to keep Cal at all costs(and it's for performance, not potential eg. BOG in a prelim) and I honestly don't believe it would put any noses out of joints. We are going to have prune our list a little to achieve this but.

bornadog
20-05-2011, 11:23 AM
The bigger picture to me is we have to keep Cal at all costs(and it's for performance, not potential eg. BOG in a prelim) and I honestly don't believe it would put any noses out of joints. We are going to have prune our list a little to achieve this but.

We have a number of players hitting 30:

Hall, Hudson, Hahn, Hargrave, Gilbee, Lake, Gia will all be 30 plus next year

Murphy, Boyd and Morris will be 30 late next year.

Thats 10 players that will be either 30 or turning 30 next year.:eek:

Sockeye Salmon
20-05-2011, 11:33 AM

To be fair, Hahn isn't really there now.

At least 3 others won't be here next year.

That will give us 6 (and 2 of those will be on the vets list which will allow us to list 2 younger players anyway).

Something to be concerned about, but not necessarily a one-way slide to 18th.

LostDoggy
20-05-2011, 05:03 PM
To be fair, Hahn isn't really there now.

At least 3 others won't be here next year.

That will give us 6 (and 2 of those will be on the vets list which will allow us to list 2 younger players anyway).

Something to be concerned about, but not necessarily a one-way slide to 18th.

Been talking about this age factor for a few seasons now as a concern (esp if we didn't win a GF). With that many players - who have been the core of the first team for the last couple of seasons - retiring then, veterans list or not, that's a massive chunk of salry cap open at the end of each of the next three seasons, assuming Hahn, Hall, Hudson retire/delist this year the others mentioned above do the same over the two seasons after.

With the new TV rights deal coming in, and with a young inexperienced list currently below the aforementioned i hope we can do our best to retain Ward/Wood/Jones/Roughead/Libba/Wallis etc.

chef
20-05-2011, 08:02 PM

Yep, that's why we need to be hanging on to Ward at all costs.

Sockeye Salmon
20-05-2011, 08:28 PM
I'm not as worried as some about our older group because we do actually have a fantastic young group as well.

I got into an arguement with a Richmond supporting mate about how their future was great and our was dire.

He was particularly bullish about their young group of midfielders.

He said "We have Cotchin and Martin"
I said "We have Higgins and Ward"

He said "What about Foley and Deledio?"
I said "We have Cooney and Griffen"

Conca
Liberatore

Nahas
Picken

Vickery
Roughead

Riewoldt
Jones and Grant - you thought you had me there but you don't have a CHF coming through.

We do - Griffiths
Cordy

We can hold our own against what is supposed to be one of the best young groups coming through.

We really need another young key defender and a couple of young smaller defenders need to come on. Wood needs to come on and become a good player.

Remi Moses
20-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Getting into verbals with the yellow and black Ferals is like night following day!
Yes they've got a good young midfield but the backline is a thorough fare.

bornadog
22-05-2011, 01:10 PM
A snippett from The HUN

THE Bulldogs aren't fretting too much about out of contract star Callan Ward, despite GWS's interest. The kid from Spotswood is seen as an emerging club leader and has indicated he is keen to stay. Can't blame Ward and his manager for considering options, but he is likely to stay at kennel for considerably less.

KT31
22-05-2011, 01:21 PM
A snippett from The HUN

THE Bulldogs aren't fretting too much about out of contract star Callan Ward, despite GWS's interest. The kid from Spotswood is seen as an emerging club leader and has indicated he is keen to stay. Can't blame Ward and his manager for considering options, but he is likely to stay at kennel for considerably less.

I hope they are spot on.
Ward is imperative for our plans to break the Premiership drought.

Greystache
22-05-2011, 01:27 PM
I hope they are spot on.
Ward is imperative for our plans to break the Premiership drought.

It's Mark Stevens reporting it, he's normally pretty spot on with Bulldogs stories.

Sockeye Salmon
22-05-2011, 02:39 PM
A snippett from The HUN

Fantastic news if true.

Now to start worrying about Easton Wood

Jasper
22-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Fantastic news if true.

Now to start worrying about Easton Wood

What has Easton Wood done to warrant worrying about retaining him?

Sockeye Salmon
23-05-2011, 01:59 AM
What has Easton Wood done to warrant worrying about retaining him?

GWS fallback position if Ward turns them down

Jasper
23-05-2011, 08:45 AM
GWS fallback position if Ward turns them down

Don't know if GWS are interested. Interested in why you think Easton Wood is such an important player - maybe he could be - but at present he is bloke who can run and who doesn't get much of the pill and when he does he can't kick or make decisions very well.

So what have you seen that makes him important to keep?

Bulldog Revolution
23-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Don't know if GWS are interested. Interested in why you think Easton Wood is such an important player - maybe he could be - but at present he is bloke who can run and who doesn't get much of the pill and when he does he can't kick or make decisions very well.

Its easy to be knee jerk post a bad game, but Easton is one of our most promising young players. He is tough in a one on one contest, athletic and committed. And he has improved markedly in every year he has been on the list and obviously did enough on the track whilst injured to earn an immediate recall.

He still has scope for improvement but he needs to be fit and playing to do that.

always right
23-05-2011, 12:53 PM

One piece of play says it all. Made a spoil, collected his own spoil, then bolted away from opponents before delivering a penetrating kick into the forwardline. It was impressive and stood out because it was one of the few positive pieces of play all match.:( We need to keep developing him as he has enormous upside.

bornadog
23-05-2011, 12:56 PM

One thing I do agree with you.

Wood can do no wrong in the eyes of our suporters. However, he has potential to be a good player but he has only played 15 games or so.

always right
23-05-2011, 01:06 PM
One thing I do agree with you.

Wood can do no wrong in the eyes of our suporters. However, he has potential to be a good player but he has only played 15 games or so.

Isn't it important to identify players with potential and do your best to hold onto them, particularly when we have a number of players coming to the end of their careers?

Jasper
23-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Isn't it important to identify players with potential and do your best to hold onto them, particularly when we have a number of players coming to the end of their careers?

Completely agree, you didn't quite complete it thought, you also need to develop the potential. Do we as a club do that well is another issue...

Personally haven't seen enough of Wood to see whether we should fight tooth and nail to keep him, he has had some good efforts in one on one contest but this is balanced by his ordinary disposal and decision making.

soupman
24-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Personally haven't seen enough of Wood to see whether we should fight tooth and nail to keep him, he has had some good efforts in one on one contest but this is balanced by his ordinary disposal and decision making.

But surely if the options are:

a) Keep player who clearly has enormous potential and is already a best 22 player.

or

b) lose said player for late second round draft pick who could have the potential to be a anything from a Jesse Wells to what Easton Wood has the potential to be.

Then you select (a) every time. At least with (a) you already have someone who is of AFL quality.

Dancin' Douggy
24-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Kids can get blinded by the almighty dollar. I probably wont be surprised either way if he stays or goes. Depends if he can see a future with GWS, finacial and/or professional achievement. Time will tell.

I'm going to have some luch now, "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse". Before anyone jumps down my throat I'm not actually going to eat a horse, it is just something I'm saying to convey my emotion. Come on guys, take thing with a little grain of salt. I know the ripping up of the membership quote touches nerves but if that dude hasn't diched the club on past events and seasons I don't think he is serious saying 'if Ward leaves I'm done'.

Can I have the horse then?

bulldogsthru&thru
15-06-2011, 11:35 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/bulldog-keen-to-stay-at-kennel-20110614-1g1y4.html

Good News! :)

Lets hope its on the mark!

Will be fantastic of Callan to stay loyal! A good sign!

Mofra
15-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Especially with the dodgy compensation scheme the AFL have set up.
Harbrow worth the same as Bock/Fraser/Krakaur?

Greystache
15-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Especially with the dodgy compensation scheme the AFL have set up.
Harbrow worth the same as Bock/Fraser/Krakaur?

Bock I could understand, he's a former AA key position player who's getting on, but Krakouer, what a joke!

As for Campbell Brown... As David Smorgon shouted out at a game last year when I was sitting next to him- "you're a hack, you were a dud and your peak and now you're past it!"

Happy Days
16-06-2011, 01:43 AM
Bock I could understand, he's a former AA key position player who's getting on, but Krakouer, what a joke!

As for Campbell Brown... As David Smorgon shouted out at a game last year when I was sitting next to him- "you're a hack, you were a dud and your peak and now you're past it!"

Krakouer was end of the second round.

Of course, the Brown pick still makes the system a complete joke, but we may as well get the facts straight.

chef
16-06-2011, 09:06 AM

I would love to have a player like Brown running around in our side. Was the compo judged on wage as Brown would easily be on the same money as Harbrow.

Bulldog Revolution
16-06-2011, 09:18 AM
I would love to have a player like Brown running around in our side.

Maybe the 2004-07 version, but he's been hopeless in 2011

BulldogBelle
16-06-2011, 09:27 AM
I would love to have a player like Brown running around in our side. Was the compo judged on wage as Brown would easily be on the same money as Harbrow.

Gilbee, Addison, Hill, Stack, Hooper and Cross are the players that I would consider putting on the table for GWS

What we get for them is another matter - apart from Cross we wouldnt get anything more than a 2nd round pick + a small upgrade for any of them

Pedro Sanchez
16-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Surely not Gilbee, okay he's form as been nowhere for a while, but I'd like to see him bow at as a one team player...