PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to the Dogs vs WCE game this week?

LostDoggy
17-05-2011, 09:24 PM
First time im headed to Perth and can't wait!

Would love to know the best pre and post drinking spots nearby to the ground (Bulldog supporter friendly would be a plus). Best way to get there from the city? Train or Drive?

Good things to do to fill in some time? Already got checking out Fremantle on the list along with Little Creatures brewery and hitting up the Sand Dunes.

Could look this all up of course but would rather take opinions from fellow supporters. I know your up there Scraggers ;)

Throughandthrough
17-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Me!

I'm flying in for work #notrandom but my plane arrives an hour before the game so will be a taxi straight to the oval.

Where are you staying Alexxx, in the City?

If so definitely get the train (its free) and follow the crowd.

And normally the WBU WA Supporters group ( a great bunch of people) have pre dinner drinks in the German Club (i thik its the German Club, better check!) in Subiaco, only 5 minutes walk from the Oval.

DEFINITELY go to Kings Park, the look out over the City. Is fantastic. (Google it)

To be honest, I find freeo very overrated (have been there a few times) and cant see the attraction at all. (apart from Little Creatures which is there)

Perth is a fantastic City, great people, great economy, great weather.

(Apart from the Stadium which should be blown up, it is as bad as AAMI stadium)

mjp
18-05-2011, 12:34 AM
First time im headed to Perth and can't wait!

Would love to know the best pre and post drinking spots nearby to the ground (Bulldog supporter friendly would be a plus). Best way to get there from the city? Train or Drive?

Good things to do to fill in some time? Already got checking out Fremantle on the list along with Little Creatures brewery and hitting up the Sand Dunes.

Could look this all up of course but would rather take opinions from fellow supporters. I know your up there Scraggers ;)

Lot's of pubs in Subi. German club host most opposition teams...not too many others are opposition friendly but Eagles supporters wont give you much grief.

Go to Kings Park. If you have a day, go to Rottnest. I dont know what sand dunes you are talking about...but all the beaches have white sand and are very nice (see notes about Cottesloe below).
Go to Freo, have a coffee on the strip and venture down to LC's. Buy some overpriced fish and chips at Cicerello's or Kailis' Brothers...you can eat sitting over the water at both spots which is nice.
Head to Cottesloe beach...grab a beer at the hotel. You cant climb the bell tower any more but due to the warm weather we have been having the water is still good for swimming in.
Stay away from North Bridge...if you want to go out head into Claremont - lots of good pubs there and way lower levels of street violence.

Perth is a small city - if you understand that coming in you will have a good time.

Scraggers
18-05-2011, 02:45 AM
It's the Irish Club that the WA Bulldog Supporter group meets at both before and after the game.
I'm definitely going ... Can't wait !!
Like TnT and MJP ... Check out the cafe strip in Freo and the Indian Tea House in Cottesloe is also worth a look. The view from Kings Park is well worth it too !!
PM me if you want to catch up before the game.

LostDoggy
18-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Lot's of pubs in Subi. German club host most opposition teams...not too many others are opposition friendly but Eagles supporters wont give you much grief.

Go to Kings Park. If you have a day, go to Rottnest. I dont know what sand dunes you are talking about...but all the beaches have white sand and are very nice (see notes about Cottesloe below).
Go to Freo, have a coffee on the strip and venture down to LC's. Buy some overpriced fish and chips at Cicerello's or Kailis' Brothers...you can eat sitting over the water at both spots which is nice.
Head to Cottesloe beach...grab a beer at the hotel. You cant climb the bell tower any more but due to the warm weather we have been having the water is still good for swimming in.
Stay away from North Bridge...if you want to go out head into Claremont - lots of good pubs there and way lower levels of street violence.

Perth is a small city - if you understand that coming in you will have a good time.

Aah, memories - I love Perth and spent lots of holidays there as I had friends living near the Subi Markets (not sure if they are still around?). I went back in 2006 for our final over there! Wish I could get back to the game this weekend, but I have a recovering shoulder reco hubby I need to look after!

LostDoggy
18-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Cheers for all the ideas!

Kings Park sounds great will get over there..and more than likely this Irish pub before the game, sounds a treat.

LostDoggy
18-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Alexxx, we had 5 days in Perth/Fremantle in 2009 when we went over for a Storm game.

Kings Park is definately worth a look and a big walk around. From memory there are 'CAT" buses that are free to travel on and they have different routes around Perth.

We stayed in Fremantle and ate at Kailis' Brothers. It was lovely.

There are ferries that run between Perth & Fremantle which is worth doing too.

Enjoy your trip & I hope the Dogs have a big win for you!! :)

LostDoggy
18-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks for sharing Suz :D Also hope the dogs have a good win, im expecting the crowd to be heavily one-sided like they are at AAMI. Tend to bite back if I hear muppet-like comments about our players, interstate crowds are all up and about when they kick a few but quiet as a mouse when they are being outplayed. Love over-cheering among the drubs of opposition supporters.

mjp
18-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks for sharing Suz :D Also hope the dogs have a good win, im expecting the crowd to be heavily one-sided like they are at AAMI. Tend to bite back if I hear muppet-like comments about our players, interstate crowds are all up and about when they kick a few but quiet as a mouse when they are being outplayed. Love over-cheering among the drubs of opposition supporters.

All crowds/supporter groups are as you have described - not just interstate ones. You couldn't hear a word from us (except screaming at the umpire) during Richmond's fight back last week. West Coast fans are full of confidence at the moment...10-goal plus win is the opinion of most casual fans over here right now - and despite all of the chardonnay cliche's they absolutely love and support their team just like we do with ours. With 3 flags in 20 years though (+ countless finals campaigns) they have an expectation of success and will turn on the team if things are not going well.

Subiaco is a miserable place to watch footy from unfortunately and will be the low point of anyone's trip. Get organised with food before you go - in ground stuff is essentially inedible - and unless you are desperate just bypass the mid-strength flat beer....plenty of opportunity before the bounce and after the game - and getting between your seat and the kiosk is a bit of a mission.

Big fun run on the morning of the race and there will be some road closures around the city because of this...should all have cleared up by gametime (race starts at 7:30) but you might need to have a bit of a think about how you get out of the city for breakfast etc...the details of the road closures etc are on the http://www.hbfrun.com.au/ website.

Throughandthrough
18-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Alexxx, we had 5 days in Perth/Fremantle in 2009 when we went over for a Storm game.

Kings Park is definately worth a look and a big walk around. From memory there are 'CAT" buses that are free to travel on and they have different routes around Perth.

We stayed in Fremantle and ate at Kailis' Brothers. It was lovely.

There are ferries that run between Perth & Fremantle which is worth doing too.

Enjoy your trip & I hope the Dogs have a big win for you!! :)

Aah yes, if you do have an afternoon or day free i would definitely get the ferrt to/from Freeo from Perth city.

http://www.captaincookcruises.com.au/

The Swan is a beautiful River and these cruises are worth every cent. (I have done it a few times)

LostDoggy
18-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the advice mjp.

And agree - I know how quiet we were when the tiges were goal after goal, and they were...bloody loud.

Im not expecting a great experience crowd-wise (especially if we are winning :D) but looking forward to hearing the roar when the big Q takes his glove off. Im sure it will be a very similar AAMI Stadium experience. Makes it all worth it if you win.

I have most of Saturday & Sunday in Perth and fly back at lunch Monday so the ferry is a good idea might do that, along with checking out a couple of brewery's in Fremantle check out that area a bit and King's Park for sure.

Throughandthrough
18-05-2011, 08:57 PM
oh last thing, i was at a dogs v Weagles game about 5 years ago, and Michael Gardiner was playing his first game back after a long club suspension. When he came on i yelled out something loud and stupid about the local bikie scene. The nice chap next to me quietly whispered "it wasn;t the XXX bikie gang, it was the YYYY. And just quietly, i would not yell that stuff out"

so i stopped.

LostDoggy
19-05-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm here with my kids — my little ones live here, so I always work in a trip when we play Subi so my young'uns can see the Doggies.

I can't hit any pubs in the general sense — as I said, with the kids — but will swing by the Irish Club before the game to pick up my Squad tickets from Gary.

I've flogged this particular horse to death, but if you have your kids along, get their faces painted before you enter. The face-painters at Subi won't do opposition face-paint.

And yeah, don't yell out crap about bikies, it is the wild west!

Murphy'sLore
20-05-2011, 10:55 AM
I've flogged this particular horse to death, but if you have your kids along, get their faces painted before you enter. The face-painters at Subi won't do opposition face-paint.

That is ridiculous.

ReLoad
20-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Best and worst moment ever in one, I went to the game where we kicked the first 8 goals and still lost.

Was sitting in a spot with about 6 other random dogs supporters including some ex williamstown Navy guys. One woman about 4 rows in front had a hand knitted eagles jumper with all the players names written in it. One of the Navy guys got up and yelled that he had spoken to the sheep and they wanted thier wool back.

Great stuff, shame we lost that game. I happened to be staying at the same hotel as the team, had a long night that night. :)

was a long crappy flight home though.

LostDoggy
20-05-2011, 06:10 PM
That is just ridiculous Scragger, turning away (small) money? :confused:

cambo
20-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Ill be there shouting loud and proud down city end block 144, lets hope we can smash the Eagles nothing feels better being a WA Bulldogs supporter than beating Eagles

Bulldogs have a training run pencilled in for 10.30am Saturday at Pattersons (Subi Oval)

Go the Doggies!!!!!!!

Danny the snakeman
20-05-2011, 07:30 PM
FYI ,The Irish Club, 61 Townshend Road Subiaco, just a one minute walk to the stadium

Scraggers
20-05-2011, 09:08 PM
FYI ,The Irish Club, 61 Townshend Road Subiaco, just a one minute walk to the stadium

It's not one minute after you've had a few ;)

LostDoggy
20-05-2011, 09:18 PM

Cheers! Shall be there after the game I think.

Doggy
23-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Ill be there shouting loud and proud down city end block 144, lets hope we can smash the Eagles nothing feels better being a WA Bulldogs supporter than beating Eagles

Bulldogs have a training run pencilled in for 10.30am Saturday at Pattersons (Subi Oval)
Go the Doggies!!!!!!!

West Coast had a training run on Sunday afternoon :(

LostDoggy
24-05-2011, 11:07 AM
So how was your weekend Alexxx? Did you enjoy Perth & Fremantle? Any highlights?

Just block the game out and you should have some nice memories!! :D

LostDoggy
24-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Haha trying to Suz. Coming back and leaving the memories of the game there.

Really enjoyed Perth otherwise. Could see myself living there (ha. if I wasn't so passionate about footy, their coverage ain't great.)

Fremantle was awesome..very cool place, hit up Sail & Anchor, great brewery, good food & drink. Went to Scarborough Beach yesterday also very cool, got lucky with 3 days of great weather after Friday's downpour.

Went out in Subiaco afterwards.. caught up with Throughandthrough and the WB-WA supporters in an Irish bar. That mood was very down as expected. But drank the sorrows away and moved onto some other bar which I can't remember the name of, which had plenty of Weagle supporters including Wally & Peter Matera and Dale Kickett. Said G'day to Peter and congratulated his boys along with the progress of son & nephew Brandon Matera (which took me a few minutes to click on the relationship ha.)

Drank plenty there and another place and felt pretty off yesterday. All in all some great days and will do Perth again I hope. :D

Throughandthrough
25-05-2011, 12:04 AM
yeah, that was surreal...

At least the supporters of the other team were nice to us after the match!

Am going to the WCE vs Port game in a few weeks (free tickets)

Go the Eagles!

And cheers to Alexxx who proved he is a real person,