PDA

View Full Version : Doug Hawkins says Bulldogs should throw troubled forward Brendan Fevola a lifeline

The Coon Dog
19-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Mark Stevens - Herald Sun - 19 May

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2011/05/19/1226058/585980-fevola.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs legend Doug Hawkins has urged the club to throw a lifeline to Brendan Fevola.

Hawkins is adamant Fevola would be the perfect fit for the club next season - even if another veteran full-forward, Barry Hall, played on.

"The bloke's still a gun. He can play footy at the top level," Hawkins said. "If the club is not prepared to at least speak to Fev, they are not doing the members and supporters justice."

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/doug-hawkins-says-bulldogs-should-throw-troubled-forward-brendan-fevola-a-lifeline/story-fn7si05c-1226058579209)

comrade
19-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Really, Doug? :o

Mantis
19-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Dougie should know better.

the banker
19-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Lots of laughs

choconmientay
19-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Yeah, I couldn't believe what I just read. It's more trouble than it's worth. I don't want him at our club. With Aker, we should have learn our lesson already. Our club don't need off-field incident and with Fev, there will be too much of it. We don't really want our young players anywhere near him.

LostDoggy
19-05-2011, 09:17 AM
No Doug.....no. Just....no. Your a legend of the club and we love you to bits.. but please pull your head in ;)

bulldogsthru&thru
19-05-2011, 09:22 AM
i think it would be a very bad idea. yes the proposition sounds good when you think of Fevola and Hall in the same forward-line (assuming hall goes on). But it will end in tears just like the Akermanis saga did. Fev has already been given a 2nd chance and he blew it. He's a virus and will ruin the dynamic of the team and possibly the team culture. we should concentrate on developing future forwards like Jones and Grant

Sockeye Salmon
19-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Doug tries to tell us all he's just pretending to be an idiot for laughs.

Then he goes and proves to everyone that it's genuine.

Daughter of the West
19-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Dougie....um....NO!

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

Got it?

EasternWest
19-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Dougie....um....NO!

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

Got it?

What exactly are you trying to say?

Daughter of the West
19-05-2011, 10:29 AM
What exactly are you trying to say?

Sorry, it wasn't very clear, was it? :D

KT31
19-05-2011, 10:53 AM
As soon as I seen "Bulldogs Legends says club should look at Fev".
I said to my Pups,"Looks like Dougie is at it again."

BulldogBelle
19-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Aside from all the obvious problems including that Rocket loaths him and he us, Why would we want that moron playing for us while he's still sulking/rubbing off about playing for Carlton.

LostDoggy
19-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Dougie....um....NO!

Got it?

If I am understanding you correctly, and you are saying "I don't think so", then I agree with you :D

Doc26
19-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Could not escape the irony of Doug's words that we should look to take a punt on Fevola.

strebla
19-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Okay it seems I must play devils advocate here so here goes. If Barry retires do we want a focal point up front if so none of our kids are yet ready or look to be for two or three years so Fevola would be a good inclusion he gets paid on performance and has stipulations in his contract if he stuffs up he gets fined or de-listed. Fevola is a genuine superstar is this his greatest fault I believe so but I also think the stuffing has been knocked out of him if we can get him fit ,firing and to pull his head in then both sides win we took a punt on Barry when a lot of clubs wouldn't .The tigers are the team I look at by taking a punt they got a midfield leader who trains as hard as anyone and look at their mids now much further on than they would have been if they hadn't taken a punt on a confessed drug addict. The question is do we take a punt on an absolute moron my heart says no but I can see where Dougie is coming from.

LostDoggy
19-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Efffffffffff no!

LostDoggy
19-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Just say no!! :D

Doc26
19-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Okay it seems I must play devils advocate here so here goes. If Barry retires do we want a focal point up front if so none of our kids are yet ready or look to be for two or three years so Fevola would be a good inclusion he gets paid on performance and has stipulations in his contract if he stuffs up he gets fined or de-listed. Fevola is a genuine superstar is this his greatest fault I believe so but I also think the stuffing has been knocked out of him if we can get him fit ,firing and to pull his head in then both sides win we took a punt on Barry when a lot of clubs wouldn't .The tigers are the team I look at by taking a punt they got a midfield leader who trains as hard as anyone and look at their mids now much further on than they would have been if they hadn't taken a punt on a confessed drug addict. The question is do we take a punt on an absolute moron my heart says no but I can see where Dougie is coming from.

Strebla, understand you're taking a counter view for debate sake but aside from his age, lack of mobility and being a wrong fit for our structure and the way the game has evolved placing any risk on our culture and brand by taking him on would simply be negligent by the Club. The scrutiny and pressure placed on Fevola, our Club and players would be immense, a distraction that is not worth the large risk even if we made the call to move him on quickly. These are decisions best left made by the Tigers and Lions of this world.

Bulldog4life
19-05-2011, 11:50 AM
I love Dougie. He's always good for a laugh.

strebla
19-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Strebla, understand your taking a counter view for debate sake but aside from his age, lack of mobility and being a wrong fit for our structure and the way the game has evolved placing any risk on our culture and brand by taking him on would simply be negligent by the Club. The scrutiny and pressure placed on Fevola, our Club and players would be immense, a distraction that is not worth the large risk even if we made the call to move him on quickly. These are decisions best left made by the Tigers and Lions of this world.

Not going to disagree with you but on talent alone he ticks all the boxes as did Barry I ask the question is he keen to atone for his failures as Barry was if so don't bag Dougie for wanting to give him a go. Richmond for the only time in my life showed some guts in getting a confessed drug addict and I think their midfield really has learned a lot from him not saying we should take him but I think someone will.

Desipura
19-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Doug is still living in the 90s. He wont help deliver us a premiership, will potentially dismantle this great club. We are too one dimensional with Hall, it wont improve with Fevola and it could blow up in our faces.

Murphy'sLore
19-05-2011, 12:12 PM
The Hall story has a happy ending; the Aker rescue, not so much.

We are a football club, not a rehab centre.

LostDoggy
19-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Doug is still living in the 90s. He wont help deliver us a premiership, will potentially dismantle this great club. We are too one dimensional with Hall, it wont improve with Fevola and it could blow up in our faces.

Would Hall and Fevola in the same forward line make us two dimensional?

There's no chance we'll pick him up. He'll probably just follow the cash in local leagues for the next 5 years, before disappearing altogether.

Typical Herald Sun mid-week filler story.

Desipura
19-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Would Hall and Fevola in the same forward line make us two dimensional?

There's no chance we'll pick him up. He'll probably just follow the cash in local leagues for the next 5 years, before disappearing altogether.

Typical Herald Sun mid-week filler story.
I was assuming Hall would be retired at years end

DragzLS1
19-05-2011, 12:37 PM
barry was a punt and look how he has turned out.
Every1 wants young talent to develope and thats what we need, but fev is already a talented player that has been there and its nothing new for him.. if he can get fit and perform half as good as he used to then doggies can definatley use him. He is older, so ude think he would be more mature, and a club like the bulldogs with our culture really brings out the better in players and with discipline. the culture at our club is different and i think it would be good for him and the club. Barry had anger management issues, but hes like a gentle giant ever since he came to the dogs (as in he hasnt knocked anybody out) and he loves playing with us, dont see why fev cant do the same.

every1 can have a go at me if u like but thats my point of view.. gotta stop looking at the off field incidences and concentrate more on the footy. If he can play footy and benefit the team, there shouldnt be an issue.

The Coon Dog
19-05-2011, 12:41 PM
every1 can have a go at me if u like but thats my point of view.. gotta stop looking at the off field incidences and concentrate more on the footy. If he can play footy and benefit the team, there shouldnt be an issue.

Can't though. It's really difficult to attract sponsors to footy clubs & these days they have a huge say about off field player behaviour. It wasn't all that long ago that the TAC bailed because of off field player behaviour.

DragzLS1
19-05-2011, 12:52 PM
understandable. I wouldnt mind seeing it happen though. see how we go this year and how our younger players improve and if we are struggling (most likely not) then it may be an option we should look at..

strebla
19-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Can't though. It's really difficult to attract sponsors to footy clubs & these days they have a huge say about off field player behaviour. It wasn't all that long ago that the TAC bailed because of off field player behaviour.

Totally agree Coon Dog and its not like we have sponsors coming out of our backside like a few other teams either.

Sedat
19-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Every1 wants young talent to develope and thats what we need, but fev is already a talented player that has been there and its nothing new for him.. if he can get fit and perform half as good as he used to then doggies can definatley use him. He is older, so ude think he would be more mature, and a club like the bulldogs with our culture really brings out the better in players and with discipline. the culture at our club is different and i think it would be good for him and the club. Barry had anger management issues, but hes like a gentle giant ever since he came to the dogs (as in he hasnt knocked anybody out) and he loves playing with us, dont see why fev cant do the same.

Even moving off-field issues to one side, Fev is a liability in the modern game. The only time he ever chased in his life was when he was on 99 goals. Opposition defenders run off him at every opportunity. If the ball doesn't hit him lace out, he just sits and watches the opposition rebounders take it away with ease. Fev isn't Dustin Fletcher fit - he is 31 going on 42. Groin issues have hampered him in the last couple of seasons and his weight has ballooned out even further.

Fev and the Bulldogs are a terrible fit on so many levels it isn't funny.

LostDoggy
19-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Dum idea aside. The Herald Sun is now no better than the Truth. The sooner they get a page three girl the better.

choconmientay
19-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Brisbane did give him a chance to change but he stayed the same. Why should we make the same mistake? His bad habits out weight his talent ( and currently he is far far far away from the form which classified him as a star).

always right
19-05-2011, 03:02 PM
Dum idea aside. The Herald Sun is now no better than the Truth. The sooner they get a page three girl the better.

High profile club legend approaches the Herald Sun calling for his club to give Fevola a go. Why wouldn't they run it?

Ozza
19-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Even moving off-field issues to one side, Fev is a liability in the modern game. The only time he ever chased in his life was when he was on 99 goals. .

Very good point.

Over Fev's career, his team has only won in 36% of the games he has played. Obviously one man doesn't make a team - and he played in some ordinary sides at Carlton - but there's been plenty of times where he wasn't able to contribute and was a complete liability for his team.

On field or off-field - I can't have him.

Sockeye Salmon
19-05-2011, 03:56 PM
I reckon it would be about as successful as when we got Jakovich

Sockeye Salmon
19-05-2011, 04:06 PM

Isn't this true for every newspaper?

1eyedog
19-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Isn't this true for every newspaper?

It's called Alpha Male.

I think it's a better call than trying to get Rawlings over here.

w3design
19-05-2011, 07:43 PM
This (almost) would make me tear up my membership. I'm joking, I'm joking...but I would see this as a ridiculous retrograde step. He's not even young and stupid, just stupid. he has shown no propensity at all to learn from his mistakes.

Cannot believe this would rate a back page story, even in a rag like the Hun.

ratsmac
19-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Hell No!

Maddog37
19-05-2011, 08:59 PM
On the positive side. He would be entertaining and you would be guaranteed mountains of publicity. Might not be all positive though!!

The Bulldogs Bite
19-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Even moving off-field issues to one side, Fev is a liability in the modern game. The only time he ever chased in his life was when he was on 99 goals. Opposition defenders run off him at every opportunity. If the ball doesn't hit him lace out, he just sits and watches the opposition rebounders take it away with ease. Fev isn't Dustin Fletcher fit - he is 31 going on 42. Groin issues have hampered him in the last couple of seasons and his weight has ballooned out even further.

Fev and the Bulldogs are a terrible fit on so many levels it isn't funny.

This.

It's been about 2-3 years since Fevola was a 'gun' AFL footballer. Groin issues and weight problems have slowed him down quite a bit, and I can't see that changing. That's without looking at the baggage he brings.

He was a superstar in his day, though.

BulldogBelle
19-05-2011, 10:04 PM
The only advantage I would see in getting Fev is that if he made use of our Pokies venues his salary would come back to the club, in a round-abouts way ;-)

AndrewP6
19-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Different kettle of fish - off-field, Baz is well-liked and respected, Fev not so much.

He is older, so ude think he would be more mature, and a club like the bulldogs with our culture really brings out the better in players and with discipline. the culture at our club is different and i think it would be good for him and the club.

Yes, you would think so. He's shown that this isn't the case.

I respect your view, but the off-field stuff is way outweighing what he once offered on-field.

AndrewP6
19-05-2011, 10:14 PM
On the positive side. He would be entertaining and you would be guaranteed mountains of publicity. Might not be all positive though!!

If you consider peeing on buildings entertaining ;)

LostDoggy
20-05-2011, 12:04 AM

Not going to disagree with you but on talent alone he ticks all the boxes as did Barry I ask the question is he keen to atone for his failures as Barry was if so don't bag Dougie for wanting to give him a go. Richmond for the only time in my life showed some guts in getting a confessed drug addict and I think their midfield really has learned a lot from him not saying we should take him but I think someone will.

OK, stopped reading here and just had to reply: You cannot compare Fevola to Hall or Cousins. Both Hall and Cousins had off-field issues and behaviour problems, but they trained the house down — especially in Cousins' case — and generally played well despite the issues that forced them out of their respective clubs.

With Fevola, he just doesn't put the hard yards in, ended up fat and out-of-form whilst also creating havoc behind the scenes.

I just don't see what he'd have to offer us, he isn't that full forward from Carlton any more.

Ghost Dog
20-05-2011, 08:05 PM
disturbs me to see him doctored in a Bulldogs top.

Before I Die
21-05-2011, 12:59 AM
To my way of thinking Fev has only one redeeming feature, he (it would appear) put an end to Voss' coaching career.

bornadog
21-05-2011, 01:07 PM
OK, stopped reading here and just had to reply: You cannot compare Fevola to Hall or Cousins. Both Hall and Cousins had off-field issues and behaviour problems, but they trained the house down — especially in Cousins' case — and generally played well despite the issues that forced them out of their respective clubs.

With Fevola, he just doesn't put the hard yards in, ended up fat and out-of-form whilst also creating havoc behind the scenes.

I just don't see what he'd have to offer us, he isn't that full forward from Carlton any more.

Hall has never had any off field issues. Halls issue was on field, when he lost his temper and hit people in anger.

Fevola's issues are off field where he is still an immature brat that thinks he is an 18 year old teenager from the backstreets of Frankston.

Grantysghost
21-05-2011, 03:30 PM
disturbs me to see him doctored in a Bulldogs top.

Good point, wonder what mission thinks of being plastered on the dill of the decade. I guess being back page of the HUN outweighs the negatives - any pubilicity and all that.

Fev wont play AFL again.

Greystache
21-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Good point, wonder what mission thinks of being plastered on the dill of the decade. I guess being back page of the HUN outweighs the negatives - any pubilicity and all that.

Fev wont play AFL again.

I'd suggest a certain AFL dictator will see to that.

LostDoggy
21-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Look who suggested that Fev comes to the Dogs. I'm amazed the media even respond to Dougs ridiculous ramblings.

This is a bloke who was a great footballer but has a past littered with numerous stupid actions and statements.

Ghost Dog
21-05-2011, 06:18 PM
There was some survey in the Hun that was reported to have 49% of respondants in favour of Hawk's idea. Rigged. The whole report is like something out of Viz magazine

Incidentally, there was a report on the ABC today that claimed Australia has the highest number of losers to gambling per capita in the world.
Pokie machines were blamed, which can cause losses of $1000 per hour.
Report claimed the widespread availability of one armed bandits in Aust and the industry freedoms that do not exist in other countries cause massive damage to the community.
Interestingly, Ireland was number 3! Can't remember who 2 is.

azabob
21-05-2011, 06:28 PM
There was some survey in the Hun that was reported to have 49% of respondants in favour of Hawk's idea. Rigged. The whole report is like something out of Viz magazine

Incidentally, there was a report on the ABC today that claimed Australia has the highest number of losers to gambling per capita in the world.
Pokie machines were blamed, which can cause losses of $1000 per hour.
Report claimed the widespread availability of one armed bandits in Aust and the industry freedoms that do not exist in other countries cause massive damage to the community.
Interestingly, Ireland was number 3! Can't remember who 2 is.

I can't recall either but it was a country out of Asia. Malasyia perhaps?

Bulldog Revolution
22-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Wouldn't Dougie be closer to playing weight than Fev?

Dancin' Douggy
23-05-2011, 01:05 AM
At this rate I'd throw a lifeline to Capper.

LostDoggy
23-05-2011, 01:20 PM
I can't recall either but it was a country out of Asia. Malasyia perhaps?

Malaysia doesn't have legalised gambling other than in a "special" (read under-the-table license to a member of the royal family) zone in Genting (a mountain resort). Being a largely muslim country too it would be unheard of.

At a guess it would be either Macau or Hong Kong, although Singapore with its TWO new massive casinos may find itself on the list in the not too distant future.