PDA

View Full Version : Round 9 Discussion

Remi Moses
20-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Cats and Blues staged a titanic struggle, those watching Channel 7's delayed disgrace look away now. Very good win in such an emotional week for Geelong.Personally not convinced by Carlton's forward half in big games, unfortunately the cheats look like top 4!

Desipura
20-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Cats and Blues staged a titanic struggle, those watching Channel 7's delayed disgrace look away now. Very good win in such an emotional week for Geelong.Personally not convinced by Carlton's forward half in big games, unfortunately the cheats look like top 4!

If Carlton are top 4 and Collingwood, Geelong and Essendon, where does that leave us?

aker39
20-05-2011, 11:15 PM
If Carlton are top 4 and Collingwood, Geelong and Essendon, where does that leave us?

5th:)

Remi Moses
20-05-2011, 11:21 PM

On current form we're not there obviously, having said that there is a large chunk of the season to go. Personally I think you can throw a blanket after Collingwood and Geelong over the rest. Carlton talking up the return of Kruezer have to remember he's 6 ft 5 coming of a knee reco!

Greystache
21-05-2011, 01:53 AM
5th:)

Generously!

chef
21-05-2011, 07:16 AM

Lucky to make the eight.

LostDoggy
21-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Is this another whinge thread or a round 9 discussion thread?

Flamethrower
21-05-2011, 09:29 AM
An interesting post script to the game last night. Did anyone notice that Warnock was bleeding from the wound sustained from Enright's wayward spoiling attempt that led to the free kick - Jeff Garlett was the closest to Warnock, so if the ump was on the ball and sent him off under the blood rule, perhaps the Blues may have got the chocolates last night. Garlett is a far more relaible kick for goal than the ruckman.

Sockeye Salmon
21-05-2011, 10:45 AM
An interesting post script to the game last night. Did anyone notice that Warnock was bleeding from the wound sustained from Enright's wayward spoiling attempt that led to the free kick - Jeff Garlett was the closest to Warnock, so if the ump was on the ball and sent him off under the blood rule, perhaps the Blues may have got the chocolates last night. Garlett is a far more relaible kick for goal than the ruckman.

Warnock should have told the ump then himself

immortalmike
21-05-2011, 02:06 PM

It seems to be both.

Ghost Dog
21-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Lucky to make the eight.

Walker is looking much better in the fwd line isn't he chef? Much improved.
I had no idea he was an indigeneous player! :eek:
Certainly not shy about going for a big grab.
There was one last night, if he had held on to, would have been an absolute screamer.

chef
21-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Walker is looking much better in the fwd line isn't he chef? Much improved.
I had no idea he was an indigeneous player! :eek:
Certainly not shy about going for a big grab.
There was one last night, if he had held on to, would have been an absolute screamer.

His dad is full and his mum is Anglo. He comes from a very nice family.

He would be handy right now and would fit into our forward line perfectly.

chef
21-05-2011, 06:02 PM

Who's whinging?

Mantis
21-05-2011, 07:04 PM
He would be handy right now and would fit into our forward line perfectly.

If our 'best 22' our forwardline probably looks something like:

HF - Higgins, Grant, Sherman
F - Minson, Hall, Gia

Who's spot does Walker take?

Desipura
21-05-2011, 07:44 PM

F - Minson, Hall, Gia

On current form Gia, Grant, Sherman or Higgins. I would add Hall however Walker is not a full forward

chef
21-05-2011, 10:22 PM

F - Minson, Hall, Gia

On current form either Higgins, grant, Sherman, Minson or Gia, take your pick. He would be the perfect third tall IMO.

Remi Moses
21-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Richmond really got the Bombres at a good time. If ever there was a side screaming out for a break,massively impressed with Dylan Grimes he reminds me of Dale Morris.
Fair to say the other result was also in the cards with Brown back and Brisbane overdue for a win.I'd hazard to guess Dean Bailey is a dead man walking!Seems like a good fella, but just doesn't grab me as a coach

jazzadogs
22-05-2011, 12:26 AM
How have Essendon, Port Adelaide and Richmond not had a bye, but Gold Coast has had two?

I think the loss of Watson is similar to Hayes at the Saints. If Watson had been playing, I reckon he might have willed them over the line.

The Coon Dog
22-05-2011, 06:27 AM
Loved the North jumper last night. Basically it was blue with white stripes, not a white jumper with blue stripes. The back was blue with white numbers, it just looked good.

Mantis
22-05-2011, 07:45 AM
On current form either Higgins, grant, Sherman, Minson or Gia, take your pick. He would be the perfect third tall IMO.

You're easily pleased if you are willing to take him instead of all of those names.

He won't play in front of Minson as he can't take his turn in the ruck.

Of the rest he would probably only play in front of Grant, but Grant has far more upside so if you are taking the long term view you play Grant.

LostDoggy
22-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Richmond really got the Bombres at a good time. If ever there was a side screaming out for a break,massively impressed with Dylan Grimes he reminds me of Dale Morris.
Fair to say the other result was also in the cards with Brown back and Brisbane overdue for a win.I'd hazard to guess Dean Bailey is a dead man walking!Seems like a good fella, but just doesn't grab me as a coach

Yeah I actually picked the tigers, shame the Bombers have the bye next week as I reckon they would get pumped again.

chef
22-05-2011, 08:08 AM
You're easily pleased if you are willing to take him instead of all of those names.

He won't play in front of Minson as he can't take his turn in the ruck.

Of the rest he would probably only play in front of Grant, but Grant has far more upside so if you are taking the long term view you play Grant.

I could say the same for you if you wouldn't. Your either being biased or haven't seen Walker playing this year.

Mantis
22-05-2011, 08:17 AM
I could say the same for you if you wouldn't. Your either being biased or haven't seen Walker playing this year.

His numbers just don't jump out at me as a 'must have'. Averaging under 13 touches a game, 3 marks & 2 goals per game.

While he clearly he had very good games against GC & Adelaide his performances (on paper*) against Coll & Ess show a different story (just 4 touches in each)

Look he would probably just get a game ahead of Gia, but it would be very much a line ball call and seeing as though you have a preference to Walker you would go that way... others wouldn't.

* Not sure if he got injured in these games.

Ghost Dog
22-05-2011, 08:27 AM
Loved the North jumper last night. Basically it was blue with white stripes, not a white jumper with blue stripes. The back was blue with white numbers, it just looked good.

What do you think of Melbourne's away jumper TCD?

It got a fair pasting on
ABC radio yesterday.

Not sure I like it at all.

chef
22-05-2011, 08:36 AM

It did look alright.

GVGjr
22-05-2011, 08:59 AM

I'm not sure Grant clearly has more upside and I could see Walker becoming a key target. At the moment Grant seems to be locked in more as a 3rd tall forward than as a key forward.

Desipura
22-05-2011, 09:01 AM

You and I appear to be in agreeance on this one. And I have no bias towards Walker ;)

chef
22-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Look he would probably just get a game ahead of Gia, but it would be very much a line ball call and seeing as though you have a preference to Walker you would go that way... others wouldn't.

Fair enough. I'm happy in a way that Ratten is now playing him in the position he's suited to. If only he hadn't played so well in that final against the Swans there is a fair chance he would be in our forward line right now.

*I am a bit biased when it comes to Walks.

The Coon Dog
22-05-2011, 09:13 AM
What do you think of Melbourne's away jumper TCD?

It got a fair pasting on
ABC radio yesterday.

Not sure I like it at all.

It looked bloody awful!

Ghost Dog
22-05-2011, 09:56 AM
It looked bloody awful!

Right. Does not look like the Ds at all.
There are some crap away jumpers around.

Go_Dogs
22-05-2011, 11:05 AM
It looked bloody awful!

I actually thought the pink suited Melbourne quite well. :D

Interesting round of games so far. It was only a week ago I was sure Collingwood and Geelong were miles ahead of everyone else, but the competition is so even that I'm now not sure it's that open and shut.

comrade
22-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Pies are looking very average against the Crows. Their press is getting ripped to shreds and their back line has been isolated. Harry O might look good running off the half back line, but as a pure defender he's pretty crap.

Ben Reid is a gun, though.

Have Collingwood been worked out or are they just building for September?

Remi Moses
22-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Someone has to explain how Melbourne(who should have a pink away jumper) can beat The Crows by 15 goals yet The crows can lead Collingwood by 5 goals at half time! Mind Boggling that.

LostDoggy
22-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Think without Jolly Collingwood can't win the premiership.

LostDoggy
22-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Would be a good year to hit our straps season is wide open imo. Pity we have our whole spine missing at the moment. We can't afford to drop any more games.

LostDoggy
22-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Also teams coming off the bye have often started the next match slowly.
Side note-how can gold coast have had 2 byes already when teams like Geelong, Essendon and Richmond haven't had one yet?

comrade
22-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Think without Jolly Collingwood can't win the premiership.

They'll ease him back to full form before finals, just like Geelong have with Ottens in past years.

Wood is a spud though.

Go_Dogs
22-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Damn, looks like the Crows are going to win. The Adelaide media this week will be horrible.... :D

comrade
22-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Damn, looks like the Crows are going to win. The Adelaide media this week will be horrible.... :D

Cracking second half of footy.

LostDoggy
22-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Collingwood supporters were complaining about frees to Selwood last week, Pendelbury is just as bad.

comrade
22-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Collingwood are home off the back of relentless pressure in the last quarter.

Go_Dogs
22-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Cracking second half of footy.

Thankfully it was the standard Crows fade out late.

Collingwood players make great decisions under pressure. They have a lot of guys who have the poise to take the extra second and spot up a better option or release someone who can't even be seen in camera on the TV.

It's about to be a 5-6 goal win as I type. Still the side to beat.

comrade
22-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Thankfully it was the standard Crows fade out late.

Collingwood players make great decisions under pressure. They have a lot of guys who have the poise to take the extra second and spot up a better option or release someone who can't even be seen in camera on the TV.

It's about to be a 5-6 goal win as I type. Still the side to beat.

Their top gear is pretty impressive.

chef
22-05-2011, 07:37 PM

F - Minson, Hall, Gia

Take your pick ATM:(

comrade
22-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Take your pick ATM:(

With our midfield, Andrew Walker wouldn't have gotten a sniff today.

GVGjr
23-05-2011, 06:27 AM
Impressive performance by the Pies who turned it on when needed.

The Adelaide Connection
23-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Impressive performance by the Pies who turned it on when needed.

Super impressive. As was the capitulation by both the Crows and us. Still, I think the Pies got lucky in that another goal and the game would have been completely buried.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that West Coast will knock the Pies off next week with the combination of:
-No Jolly/Wood being quite super useless/the Cox and Natanui combo
-The Pies backline being a bit out of sorts/The Eagles Forward line (which I now rate as going past Hawthorn as the best in the comp).

The West Coast midfield is still a long way behind Collingwood but if they can use their superior hit out advantage even slightly better than we did I think they will get up.

Topdog
24-05-2011, 10:12 AM
I'll be taking WCE at the line. Think it will be a great game.