PDA

View Full Version : Werribee vs Geelong

GVGjr
18-08-2007, 10:44 PM
Ventured to Bartercard Oval today. The Reserves had a huge win. They kicked 35 goals for the game and I think Jordan Barham kicked the first four goals of the final quarter and another a goal or two later. Five Bulldogs listed players were in the 2nds.
I think the scoreboard might have missed a goal or two as well.
Lynch, Stack, Hill, McCormack and Walsh all had good games. Hill did some brilliant things, Lynch carried the ball well and Stack was probably the most consistent of all the players and did some nice things in the last quarter. Walsh spent some time forward and in defence and rucked a fair bit as well. McCormack was very good and mainly played in the centre. For most he used the ball well but he does miss his targets at critical times.

The main game started well but we fell away in the 2nd quarter and really struggled after that.
McDougall played in defence and was matched up on Hawkins. Doogs was in everything early on and was even assisting his other defenders by spoiling marks.
It was another solid performance and I think he has developed into a far better player in the last half of the season. It's encouraging to hear him speak to the other defenders and even the defensive coach at quarter and 3 quarter time addresses
McMahon started in defence and made a few errors before doing some of his trademark brilliant runs etc. The moved him onto a wind which got him into the play more. I don't think he would be thrilled with his effort today but he seemed to to accept the challenge of playing with the Bees in a positive manner.
Faulkner was used as a defender today and started well but unlike most of the other weeks he fell off a bit.
Pask started in defence but was quickly moved to CHF and was a lively target. You couldn't fault his endeavour today but the Bees were outclassed and the opportunities were just not there for him.
Hughes started on the bench and then went onto the wing. Quiet day really for him.
O'Shea played in the back half and was serviceable. He did a decent job without starring.
Baird was also used in defence and rotated a few times off Grima who was causing us a lot of problems. Baird battled hard today and wasn't the worst.
Harbrow joined his fellow Bulldog team mates in defence and rotated through the bench and the midfield as well. He did some nice things but his form has dropped back a fair bit.
Wight was also mainly used in defence and was very solid. He took a couple of very strong marks and tried to run off his opponents when he could.
Robbins played in the forward line and given his limited opportunities he really wasn't a factor.

Overall it was another disappointing performance.

Bulldog Revolution
19-08-2007, 02:40 AM
Overall it was another disappointing performance.

Its been unfortunately a year full of them at both AFL and VFL level

Go_Dogs
19-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Very pleasing the continued good form of McDougall, with O'Shea seemingly stepping up to the level with quite a lot of ease. Could he be a wild card to get a game in the last 2 rounds if we lose today? For someone so young he's met every challenge asked of him going by his match form - stepping up to the B's level and going ok. Perhaps his fearless attitude combined with safety in mind though, he won't. Do you think he'd be capable of making a decent go in the league side at the moment?

I'd like to see McDougall played as the third tall defender in the last few weeks and someone like Williams/Harris/Everitt/Wight get a run up forward. He's looking like he's really turned it around. Great to see.

bornadog
19-08-2007, 12:51 PM
In the pursuit for a power forward, do you think Eade would be tempted to give Walsh a couple of games? I know its a long shot and his form is just ok, but could be an opportunity for the last two rounds if finals are a no go.

Sockeye Salmon
19-08-2007, 02:42 PM
In the pursuit for a power forward, do you think Eade would be tempted to give Walsh a couple of games? I know its a long shot and his form is just ok, but could be an opportunity for the last two rounds if finals are a no go.

Not with his run of injuries. He is playing Werribee reserves after all.

Templeton31
19-08-2007, 03:14 PM
thanks for report GVG. Indeed a dissapointing season for the Bees.

Good to hear Doogs playing well and showing a bit more confidence. For mine last week playing for the Dogs his endeavour and efforts were excellent however he seemed very nervous with some poor disposal when he got it. hopefully he can get a game in next few weeks and show a bit.

Templeton31
21-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Axes report from bees website. not his most detailed efort! Definitely prefer GVGjnr's

http://werribeetigers.footballvic.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=125361

Atkins Report Round 19 v Geelong

T. Sheringham: he really competed hard all day and went ok
T. Henderson: up forward he went well but had to go back to cover a few injuries
M. Pask: probably had a bit more influence in the past he went forward for a while and went ok
J. Young: used him to tag one of their on-ballers and got him under control
M. Rockefeller: he was in our best players his workrate for the whole game was outstanding
A. McDougall: he won his spot on the day played on Hawkins and was in our best
J. McMahon: he played half back and got his hands on the footy and gave some run
D. Gleeson: another honest performance but he need to hurt the opposition a bit more
J. Podsiadly: he really worked hard, looked dangerous up forward I was really happy with his game
M. Robbins: he kicked 2 goals works well with Pods up forward. I think we can get a little more out of him though.
R. Castello: he needs to be able to hurt the opposition more than he does.
C. Faulkner: he had a consistent game without being outstanding.
S. Wormald: he played on the wing then we put him on Gardiner and did a good job on him. Good to see that side of his game.
T. Baird: he made his contribution and is learning all the time.
A. Ericksen: he was pretty good in the ruck and we will be working on the other stuff round the ground
J. Harbrow: he was pretty quiet, played midfield wing and half forward, he played in spurts
L. Gardiner: probably his best senior game for the year, he took a lot of marks in defence and was very useful
N. Batchelor: he needs to work on his workrate and to be more consistent.
C. Wight: he competed well, he used his body well and did well in defence
G.Hughes: consistency is his enemy, he needs to work on playing four quarters
F. Chisholm: he played half in the reserves then we had to bring him in due to an injury. There were some real positives to his debut.
P. O’Shea: he competed well, he is continuing his development and gaining experience every week.

Bulldog Revolution
21-08-2007, 03:56 PM
thanks for report GVG. Indeed a dissapointing season for the Bees.

It will be interesting to see whether Atkins remains, and whether we continue our affiliation with the Bees

westdog54
21-08-2007, 05:06 PM
It will be interesting to see whether Atkins remains, and whether we continue our affiliation with the Bees

ATM we won't be going it alone in 2008, if Collingwood go it alone I can see us possibly affiliating with Williamstown.

I'm rapt with the fact that O'Shea has made it into the Werribee 1s. Correct me if I'm wrong but he is yet to turn 18 is he not?

GVGjr
21-08-2007, 05:24 PM

FWIW, I think Atkins is a decent coach. He is clear and concise with his messages to the team and tough enough when it counts. Even against the Cats where we were well beaten his 3qtr time address wasn't all doom and gloom and he was still looking at addressing the problem area's.
I don't think he is 100% comfortable with the relationship but he does seem keen to make it work. He really does appear to be a coach focused on winning the flag.

Sockeye Salmon
21-08-2007, 06:08 PM
ATM we won't be going it alone in 2008, if Collingwood go it alone I can see us possibly affiliating with Williamstown.

I'm rapt with the fact that O'Shea has made it into the Werribee 1s. Correct me if I'm wrong but he is yet to turn 18 is he not?

O'Shea turned 18 in April. That's as young as you can be and still get drafted.

mjp
21-08-2007, 06:24 PM
I didn't see the game, but after his efforts vs Melbourne the week before, and (according to our intrepid reporter) continued good form in the VFL, why was Doogs dropped again?

I still dont understand this.

Go_Dogs
21-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Lack of willingness to concede him to the backline is my guess.

bornadog
21-08-2007, 06:33 PM
I didn't see the game, but after his efforts vs Melbourne the week before, and (according to our intrepid reporter) continued good form in the VFL, why was Doogs dropped again?

I still dont understand this.

Team balance:D

We need him this week as the Hawks have four talls in the forward line and the match ups will be hard. I really am sick of seeing a Hargrave and Morris up against stronger bodied players.

LostDoggy
21-08-2007, 09:42 PM

We need him this week as the Hawks have four talls in the forward line and the match ups will be hard. I really am sick of seeing a Hargrave and Morris up against stronger bodied players.

Eade will not play the tall blokes in defense unless they can run. He will probably have Gilbee on Boyle because it will give us some more run.

Go_Dogs
22-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Doogs attack and run against Melbourne was the most pleasing aspect imo.

mjp
22-08-2007, 12:37 PM

Team balance. Makes you wonder really. I like the way in form players balance out a team!

Sockeye Salmon
22-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Team balance. Makes you wonder really. I like the way in form players balance out a team!

Three ruckmen tend to put a team out of balance - especially when one of them is 209cm tall.

LostDoggy
22-08-2007, 02:19 PM
anyone know what is wrong with minson at the moment. please?

Dry Rot
22-08-2007, 02:30 PM
He's out for the balance of the season. When I'm home I can check the reason.

Buggered disc in back or hammys IIRC.

Sockeye Salmon
22-08-2007, 02:44 PM
anyone know what is wrong with minson at the moment. please?

Originally they said hamstring, then they said back.

There was some speculation (unconfirmed) that it might have been a disc problem.