PDA

View Full Version : Training Thread

bornadog
24-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Looks like training is closed off for the rest of the week as only Saturday 28 May 2011, 10.30am - Whitten Oval is listed.

I guess they don't want a bunch of supporters down there abusing the players:D

FrediKanoute
24-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Looks like training is closed off for the rest of the week as only Saturday 28 May 2011, 10.30am - Whitten Oval is listed.

I guess they don't want a bunch of supporters down there abusing the players:D

I know this is tongue in cheek, but if there really are supporters who would go down to the kennel to abuse our guys then they can hardly call themselves supporters.....morons yes

aker39
26-05-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm at training.

No Cooney on the track.

Cyberdoggie
26-05-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm at training.

No Cooney on the track.

I hope you brought your thermals!.

Reports were that they had a very physical training session on tuesday,
interesting to see if they are looking flat, and what kind of session it is today.

bornadog
26-05-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm at training.

No Cooney on the track.

How does Lake look?

aker39
26-05-2011, 12:36 PM
How does Lake look?

He looks ok. If I was to take a punt, I'd say he will play.

bornadog
26-05-2011, 12:40 PM
He looks ok. If I was to take a punt, I'd say he will play.

I think he will play too.

aker39
26-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Grant practising miraculous goals from the boundary line. Should just worry about getting ones from straight in front first.
Last ones on the ground practising their goal kicking - Libba and Walls.

Desipura
26-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Grant practising miraculous goals from the boundary line. Should just worry about getting ones from straight in front first.
2 future leaders that will set a fine examples to the younger players. I hope Ward & Higgins come good as leaders and set an example on and off the field in terms of getting the best out of themselves and not leaving any stone unturned.

G-Mo77
26-05-2011, 04:19 PM
2 future leaders that will set a fine examples to the younger players. I hope Ward & Higgins come good as leaders and set an example on and off the field in terms of getting the best out of themselves and not leaving any stone unturned.

Despite having a shocking season so far it's been fun watching Libba develop and hopefully Wallis gets another go at it Sunday. Watching Wallis play and hearing him talk I see him as a future captain of this club.

Cyberdoggie
26-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Despite having a shocking season so far it's been fun watching Libba develop and hopefully Wallis gets another go at it Sunday. Watching Wallis play and hearing him talk I see him as a future captain of this club.

Yeah he just needs game time and some continuity i think.
He'll find his mojo.

bornadog
31-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Open training session on Wednesday 1st of June 2011 from 10.30am at Whitten Oval

If Bazza doesn't train he won't be playing this week according to Rocket.

bornadog
07-06-2011, 11:56 PM
Open training session on Thursday 9th of June 2011 from 11am at Whitten Oval

Greystache
16-06-2011, 02:37 PM
I went along today, it was a light training session as you'd expect.

Some work on handballing the ball through congestion, some practicing getting the ball out of defensive 50m against the press, and some very casual goal kicking. Skills were pretty poor overall. Rohan Smith was very involved at training.

Cooney and Hall trained, but Rocket said after training Hall is another week away. Markovic and Schofield Trained with the group, but no Lake, Grant, Tutt, or Roughead. Mulligan was doing light run throughs with tape on his calf, and Stack was with him with tape on his hamstring, so I'd suggest neither will play.

Cyberdoggie
16-06-2011, 06:52 PM

Some work on handballing the ball through congestion, some practicing getting the ball out of defensive 50m against the press, and some very casual goal kicking. Skills were pretty poor overall. Rohan Smith was very involved at training.

Cooney and Hall trained, but Rocket said after training Hall is another week away. Markovic and Schofield Trained with the group, but no Lake, Grant, Tutt, or Roughead. Mulligan was doing light run throughs with tape on his calf, and Stack was with him with tape on his hamstring, so I'd suggest neither will play.

Your were right on there.

Stack is out with a hammy

LostDoggy
16-06-2011, 06:56 PM

Did Wood train?

Greystache
16-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Did Wood train?

Yes, he was also doing some one on one work against Markovic and Williams, so we might see him play tall at times.

bornadog
17-06-2011, 12:10 AM
Yes, he was also doing some one on one work against Markovic and Williams, so we might see him play tall at times.

Well he needs to find some form this week, hasn't shown much so far this season.

Greystache
30-06-2011, 12:43 AM
Training is 11am on Thursday, I should be able to drop in. I'll report if I see anything of interest.

jeemak
30-06-2011, 02:29 AM

Nice prophetic post! :)

jeemak
30-06-2011, 02:31 AM

All of the players that can kick them from the hard spots always practice them. As long as he still practices the more conventional shots then it's all good.

DragzLS1
30-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Any word on the line up after training today? Heard lake wasn't training with the team either was Libba or wallis... Don't know if that's true just read it on another forum

Greystache
30-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Not much to report from training, the whole group trained, with what looked like the senior squad finishing early. The potential ins to me are- Reid, Markovic, Hooper, Grant.

Sherman not out there, nor Lake, Murphy, Hargrave, Mulligan, T Hill, Panos

The big news is we practiced, wait for it, THE PRESS!! It was only for about 10 mins, but it might be a sign we're dragging ourselves into the modern era.

comrade
30-06-2011, 03:02 PM
The big news is we practiced, wait for it, THE PRESS!! It was only for about 10 mins, but it might be a sign we're dragging ourselves into the modern era.

That's depressing. By the time we master it, another trend will be in vogue and we'll be behind again.

I'd prefer to get belted for the next 9 weeks while trying something different than attempting to play catch up with a facsimile version of Collingwood's game plan.

Greystache
30-06-2011, 03:05 PM
That's depressing. By the time we master it, another trend will be in vogue and we'll be behind again.

I'd prefer to get belted for the next 9 weeks while trying something different than attempting to play catch up with a facsimile version of Collingwood's game plan.

Agree completely, 3 years ago was when we should've be learning that game plan. I have no doubt you noted my sarcasm.

Greystache
30-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Which game plan 3 years ago?

See the post above- the press.

bornadog
30-06-2011, 03:55 PM
See the post above- the press.

Didn't think the press was used till last year. WE had Clarko's cluster in 2008, we had the Saints with a type of press in 2009 and then Collingwoods full press last year.

Greystache
30-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Didn't think the press was used till last year.

St Kilda used it in 2009, so this is its 3rd season. It an evolution of Hawthorn's rolling zone they started using in 2007.

Pedro Sanchez
30-06-2011, 04:10 PM
So whats the story with Hargy - has he re-injured the same ankle?

bornadog
30-06-2011, 04:17 PM
St Kilda used it in 2009, so this is its 3rd season. It an evolution of Hawthorn's rolling zone they started using in 2007.

Although we didn't base our entire game plan on defense defense defense, we certainly have used forms of the press over the past 3 years. In fact go back and take a look at the Hawthorn v Bulldogs in Tassie in 2008, in that game we beat the Hawks due to our frontal pressure and tackling with most of the game played in our forward 50 and not allowing the Hawks to attack.

In 2009, we also played the same game as the Saints in the prelim, but unfortunaelty we didn't have talls to mark the ball in the fwd 50, so we just couldn't kick goals.

Last year we had one of the best defensive game plans and in fact had the least points kicked against us in the AFL, till round 20 when we were hit hard with injuries.

I don't believe this year we have the personnel to apply an effective full press against the better teams as our forwards just can't apply the pressure, however, we have used it many times this year, with limited success.

What we should be doing is coming up with a gameplan to beat the press. Collingwood's plan is to kick the ball long, over the press and find Cloke or Dawes. Our forwards are still young and eventually guys like Jones will be a similar target like Cloke. Our backline kicking has been bolstered by using HIggins and Murphy, but others need to improve their kicking.

Greystache
30-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Although we didn't base our entire game plan on defense defense defense, we certainly have used forms of the press over the past 3 years. In fact go back and take a look at the Hawthorn v Bulldogs in Tassie in 2008, in that game we beat the Hawks due to our frontal pressure and tackling with most of the game played in our forward 50 and not allowing the Hawks to attack.

In 2009, we also played the same game as the Saints in the prelim, but unfortunaelty we didn't have talls to mark the ball in the fwd 50, so we just couldn't kick goals.

Last year we had one of the best defensive game plans and in fact had the least points kicked against us in the AFL, till round 20 when we were hit hard with injuries.

I don't believe this year we have the personnel to apply an effective full press against the better teams as our forwards just can't apply the pressure, however, we have used it many times this year, with limited success.

What we should be doing is coming up with a gameplan to beat the press. Collingwood's plan is to kick the ball long, over the press and find Cloke or Dawes. Our forwards are still young and eventually guys like Jones will be a similar target like Cloke. Our backline kicking has been bolstered by using HIggins and Murphy, but others need to improve their kicking.

We've been 14-16th for tackles inside our forward 50 for the past 3 years, our forwards don't defend and our coaching staff don't demand they do. Our defensive press has been little more than a token effort to copy the teams at the front of the tactical curve. Our forward 50m has been the launching pad for opposition attacks, but having Brian Lake and Dale Morris in defence has covered up the high number of inside 50's we concede.

The most frustrating thing is a game plan based heavily on defensive pressure and zoning would've actually suited our playing list better than the play on at all costs and run the ball through the corridor style we played. I can't see us coming up with anything more than a slight tweaking of the run and carry we've been playing for years, despite us desperately needing to. I see us playing a mix of run and carry, a bit of a press, and a bit of the Sydney style stoppage game plan. So really a bit of everything and mostly nothing. The team that comes up with a tactic to defeat the press is probably going to be the next premier.

Dry Rot
30-06-2011, 04:47 PM
I can't see us coming up with anything more than a slight tweaking of the run and carry we've been playing for years, despite us desperately needing to.

I'm looking forward to what our new coach will come up with next year.

LostDoggy
30-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Not much to report from training, the whole group trained, with what looked like the senior squad finishing early. The potential ins to me are- Reid, Markovic, Hooper, Grant.

Sherman not out there, nor Lake, Murphy, Hargrave, Mulligan, T Hill, Panos

Went to go to training, but couldn't get a park down there! Yikes! I have a disabled permit but still was not able to find anything. Oh well, seemed like I didn't miss too much but was looking forward to sitting in the sun watching the boys!

LongWait
30-06-2011, 07:35 PM

I agree completely. Pity we haven't seen a shred of evidence to suggest we've made any progress at all. Perhaps you and I are not on the same page as the coaching panel.

LostDoggy
30-06-2011, 09:35 PM

Got them all, good work ;)

AndrewP6
08-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Hi all, I was thinking of heading over for tomorrow's session, and just discovered there's rail work on the Sydenham line, meaning replacement buses. Not sure if I can be bothered dealing with buses, can anyone tell me are us plebs allowed to park in the WO carpark (I have a disabled parking permit). Will help me weigh up my decision! Thanks :)

Greystache
08-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Hi all, I was thinking of heading over for tomorrow's session, and just discovered there's rail work on the Sydenham line, meaning replacement buses. Not sure if I can be bothered dealing with buses, can anyone tell me are us plebs allowed to park in the WO carpark (I have a disabled parking permit). Will help me weigh up my decision! Thanks :)

Yes you are, but it's red hot for spots. There is some disabled parking spaces though so you should be a decent chance.

AndrewP6
09-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Went to training today, will post pics later when I'm home.

AndrewP6
09-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Here's a link to some pics from today's session at WO. Fairly light session, only went for maybe an hour. IMO Murph was moving really well, showed some of the runs we all like seeing. Crossy was kicking it OK, so I'm sure there'll be radars trained in on him to see the fluffed kicks tomorrow ;)

Had brekkie at The Pound, very nice poached eggs and bacon with toast, and a nice coffee. Couldn't resist a hoodie for half price either!

Anyhoo, check this if you wish:

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx31/AndrewP6_photo/Bulldogs%20training%20July%209th%202011/IMG_6774.jpg

LostDoggy
09-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Went to training today, will post pics later when I'm home.

Glad you were able to get a park - I went last Wednesday and wasn't able to find a "disabled" spot anywhere! Drove home in frustration.......

Glad to hear they trained well - hopefully we can put it all together tomorrow!

AndrewP6
09-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Glad you were able to get a park - I went last Wednesday and wasn't able to find a "disabled" spot anywhere! Drove home in frustration.......

Glad to hear they trained well - hopefully we can put it all together tomorrow!

That's disappointing :( - today there were only one or two taken when I got there.

LostDoggy
14-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Just wondering if anyone got to training today?

Was going to go, but got caught up at an appointment.

Regards

Rocco Jones
14-07-2011, 05:26 PM
I went along today but it was a brief stay. Amazing how popular Dahlhaus is, heaps of fans waiting for his autograph and photo.

Greystache
14-07-2011, 05:33 PM
I went along but it was only a brief session, maybe due to the weather.

LostDoggy
14-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Thanks for that,

Hoped all the boys trained well and no injuries.

Cyberdoggie
14-07-2011, 07:07 PM
I went along today but it was a brief stay. Amazing how popular Dahlhaus is, heaps of fans waiting for his autograph and photo.

Been busy in the school holidays Rocco?

:rolleyes:

i'm jealous.

Greystache
14-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Anyone know what time training is tomorrow?

Pickenitup
14-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Is training on Friday or Saturday?

bornadog
20-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Open Training on today at 11am, so if anyone is there a report on a how the boys are going would be appreciated. Especially Hargrave and Moles.

bornadog
20-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Training in Sydney

The Western Bulldogs will have a training session at the SCG. The training session will be held on Friday afternoon from 12.30pm - 1.30pm. So if you will be in Sydney for the game head down to the SCG to see the players in training.

bornadog
27-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Open training today at 11am, I guess we will know how players have pulled up with all the injuries etc.

Murphy'sLore
27-07-2011, 10:46 AM
With all the injuries listed, it'd be a surprise to see anyone out on the track!

LostDoggy
27-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Can't make it down today, will be happy to read what's going on down there!

Pickenitup
05-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Anyone going training tomorrow i thinkit starts at 10am

Greystache
30-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Training this week is Wednesday at 11am.

It will be the last of the season so there should be quite a few people attending.

bornadog
31-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Press conference after training:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150782049145253&notif_t=video_processed

AndrewP6
10-04-2012, 05:31 PM
I went along this morning to training. Not a huge session, only about 45 minutes long. Mostly took place in two groups, the main group and the "VFL" group ( Bill Davoren's words!). I think the SKINS Train with The Team thing was on a bit later in the day, it was very busy there by about 12-ish! Will post a few pics soon - I had to dart in and out with the rain - of course it dried up shortly after they finished.

EDIT: Anyone interested, here are some pics I took. Quality not great, I was preoccupied trying to dodge the raindrops :)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150669505723282.406643.698683281&type=1&l=204e096b37

ledge
10-04-2012, 05:56 PM
I went along this morning to training. Not a huge session, only about 45 minutes long. Mostly took place in two groups, the main group and the "VFL" group ( Bill Davoren's words!). I think the SKINS Train with The Team thing was on a bit later in the day, it was very busy there by about 12-ish! Will post a few pics soon - I had to dart in and out with the rain - of course it dried up shortly after they finished.

It was, my great nephew trained with them today.

AndrewP6
10-04-2012, 05:58 PM
It was, my great nephew trained with them today.

Cool, it was a big crowd when I left.

bornadog
24-04-2012, 01:27 PM
According to the bulldogs website, open training was cancelled today.

Maybe they are doing something indoors somewhere.

The Adelaide Connection
07-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Quick question, when are the training nights this week?

Am flying over early for the Mountain Goats gig on Thursday and was hoping that I might be able to use the opportunity to get to a training if there is one on.

azabob
07-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Quick question, when are the training nights this week?

Am flying over early for the Mountain Goats gig on Thursday and was hoping that I might be able to use the opportunity to get to a training if there is one on.

From memory I think you might be out of luck, a Sunday game I think means Friday training?

I suggest you ring the club just incase they do have a Thursday session on, but it might be closed or in the morning.

The Adelaide Connection
07-05-2012, 09:00 PM
From memory I think you might be out of luck, a Sunday game I think means Friday training?

I suggest you ring the club just incase they do have a Thursday session on, but it might be closed or in the morning.

Friday will do just fine! I will be over till I fly home after the North game. Might have to give the club a call tomorrow unless anyone else is in the know.

azabob
07-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Friday will do just fine! I will be over till I fly home after the North game. Might have to give the club a call tomorrow unless anyone else is in the know.

On the Bulldogs website on the right hand side, half way done they actually advise when the next open training session is. But I'd still ring the club to be certain.

Pickenitup
07-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Pretty sure we train the day before the game so Saturday would be a light session

bornadog
07-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Next training session

10:30am, Tuesday 8th May 2012
at Whitten Oval, West Footscray

The Adelaide Connection
08-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Next training session

10:30am, Tuesday 8th May 2012
at Whitten Oval, West Footscray

Any idea if there is a Friday or Saturday session bornadog? No stress if you don't know, I will keep an eye on the site and if I get a chance in the next few days will ring the club.

bornadog
08-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Any idea if there is a Friday or Saturday session bornadog? No stress if you don't know, I will keep an eye on the site and if I get a chance in the next few days will ring the club.

The website only publishes the Tuesday training session. I guess you will have to ring the club.

The Adelaide Connection
10-05-2012, 01:42 AM
The website only publishes the Tuesday training session. I guess you will have to ring the club.

Cheers mate, will do.

bornadog
10-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Cheers mate, will do.

If you end up going how about a report back.:)