PDA

View Full Version : Tom the No6 Pick

LostDoggy
26-05-2011, 11:08 PM
I am completely amazed that Tom the No6 pick has snuck past the radar again after last weeks inept performance.

I have lost faith in his ability and the punt by Mr Clayton has turned into poop.

How can this guy be selected again this week? I feel sorry for people like Mulligan who are legitimate AFL footballers.

Greystache
26-05-2011, 11:14 PM
I am completely amazed that Tom the No6 pick has snuck past the radar again after last weeks inept performance.

I have lost faith in his ability and the punt by Mr Clayton has turned into poop.

How can this guy be selected again this week? I feel sorry for people like Mulligan who are legitimate AFL footballers.

Huh???

/thread

GVGjr
26-05-2011, 11:16 PM

I can understand that some supporters would be frustrated by Williams but I don't think the fact he was the number 6 pick should be used against him. As for Clayton, his record stacks up pretty well but there will always be a few selections that will disappoint.

I'm a little surprised you are calling Mulligan a legitimate footballer though especially in comparison to Williams.

stefoid
26-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Who else would you have play on Buddie with Lake out?

AndrewP6
26-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Mulligan a legitimate footballer - who has never played a senior game.

The Underdog
26-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Mulligan isn't a legitimate anything at this point. He's a tall Queenslander with borderline football smarts. Sound like anyone familiar?
Tommy was awful last week and hasn't had a great season but he's still more of a chance to positively influence the game than Mulligan.

BTW on the topic of Tom the No. 6 pick.

Here's the picks up to 35 after him

7 Jordan Lewis Hawthorn
8 John Meesen Adelaide
9 Jordan Russell Carlton
10 Chris Egan Collingwood
11 Adam Thomson Port Adelaide
12 Danny Meyer Richmond
13 Matthew Bate Melbourne
14 Angus Monfries Essendon
15 Lynden Dunn Melbourne
16 Adam Pattison Richmond
17 Andrew McQualter St. Kilda
18 Cameron Wood Brisbane Lions
19 Ryan Willits Port Adelaide
20 Dean Polo Richmond
21 Thomas Murphy Hawthorn
22 Jesse Wells Western Bulldogs
23 Sean Rusling Collingwood
24 Nathan Van Berlo Adelaide
25 Adam Hartlett Carlton
26 Matthew Little Hawthorn
27 Pat Garner Brisbane Lions
28 Chad Gibson Adelaide
29 Matt Rosa West Coast Eagles
30 Andrew Lee Essendon
31 Jarred Moore Sydney Swans
32 Brent Prismall Geelong
33 Cain Ackland St. Kilda
34 James Ezard Port Adelaide
35 Fabian Deluca Port Adelaide

Check out some of the crap we missed out on.

FrediKanoute
27-05-2011, 01:02 AM

I am beginning to lose faith in the eyesight and rationality of some people on this site........

LostDoggy
27-05-2011, 04:20 AM
We should have picked Jesse Wells at 6

Remi Moses
27-05-2011, 06:13 AM
Should have picked up Andrew Mcqualter at 6

LostDoggy
27-05-2011, 09:40 AM

I'm sorry but LMFAO at this comment. While i'd like to see him get a go at some stage this season this is a guy who's been injured up until this year and played a majority of his games in the Willy 2's when he wasn't injured pre 2011.

Ozza
27-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Probably a bit harsh of Tommy. He certainly struggled early in his career - and yes he was awful on Sunday - but I thought he has played some pretty good footy since about mid way through last season up until now.

With Lake out of condition, Tom is pretty important for us right now.

I haven't seen enough of Mulligan to make much of a comment - but given the enormous difference in standard between the VFL and AFL - particularly for tall players - I'd like to hear that he is dominating before he gets thrown in at AFL level.

always right
27-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Tommy is certainly lucky to be playing. Thought Rocket might play to Lake's ego and throw him the challenge of Buddy who Brian has owned in recent times.

The potential Tommy/Buddy match-up might end in tears but I think Buddy is probably the right type of player for Tommy to match up on. Tommy really struggles to play on blokes who are strong overhead, are good body on body, and read the play well. The first two are not Buddy's strong points and he is often led under the ball. Will be a huge challenge for Williams but I'd be more concerned if he was playing on someone like Jonathon Brown or Nick Riewoldt.

ratsmac
27-05-2011, 11:25 AM

My cousin plays for Williamstown and my Uncle watches every game they play. Whenever I catch up I always quiz him on the bulldog up and comers. Every time I mention Mulligan he laughs and scoffs. He still can't understand why the bulldogs have persisted for so long. It's only my uncle's opinion I suppose but I have seen anything to label Mulligan 'legitimate' and Tommy not. The whole team got smashed by West Coast not just Williams. As for Mulligan being a legitimate AFL footballer, please, it's questionable that he is even a legitimate 'VFL' footballer at this stage. I hope Mulligan can become a good footballer but don't compare someone who has proven himself capable to someone who has done diddley squat.

Pedro Sanchez
27-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Surely taking the P2ss re this comment: Mulligan who are legitimate AFL footballers.

Gonna print that out - its a keeper!

Sedat
27-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Mulligan isn't a legitimate anything at this point.
He's a legitimate eker ;)

Ghost Dog
27-05-2011, 03:51 PM

Hey...What's up with the Eker thread?:D

ledge
27-05-2011, 04:00 PM

Not even that, he hasnt played a game.

Sedat
27-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Not even that, he hasnt played a game.
That makes him an even better eker - he's managed to eke out a 5 year career on an AFL list without even playing one game

The Pie Man
27-05-2011, 04:51 PM
That makes him an even better eker - he's managed to eke out a 5 year career on an AFL list without even playing one game

:D Was thinking the same thing, it could go close to a record

Drunken Bum
27-05-2011, 06:51 PM
This thread is turning out well for you isnt it?

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff60/pissedidiot/76771_499930771807_734466807_7403333_2360425_n.jpg

the banker
27-05-2011, 07:58 PM
When (if) Brian resurfaces, may be worth training Tommy boy as our mobile ruckman resting forward. May take a bit of work on the track.....??????

Grantysghost
28-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Gee that list of draftees after Tom is pretty ordinary... Maybe Monfries is ok but he is a limited player. Tells you how much luck plays a part in the recruitment process. Im still unsure if Clayton has drafted a decent tall without looking it up.
I find Williams frustrating to be honest, he seems lost when the ball is in the air a bit like Karmichael he tends to get caught in the wrong positions (rugby backgrounds dont fit AFL well) and think Markovic a much better read of the play and spoiler as a pure defender. Tommy has far more upside, just need to get game after game after game into him, some continuity without injury. He has Peter Dean there to assist so i still have faith (it is slowly diminishing though!)
Very suprised Markovic was dropped this week, must be matchups. Tommy's big test v Buddy.

Topdog
28-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Lake, Grant, Roughead and Jones are all decent.

Grantysghost
28-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Lake, Grant, Roughead and Jones are all decent.

Saves me looking it up. I remember guys like Patrick Wiggins, Tim Walsh, Wayde Skipper etc but your list is definitely decent.

Greystache
28-05-2011, 01:49 PM
In his 10 years at the club Clayton recruited only 3 tall players (being over 190cm) to play 50 games, Lake, Minson, and Williams. Only 2 have played 100.

Topdog
28-05-2011, 03:32 PM
You are better off doing those things after everyone has finished their career.

I think he will end up with 6 over 100 games.

Mofra
28-05-2011, 03:36 PM
In his 10 years at the club Clayton recruited only 3 tall players (being over 190cm) to play 50 games, Lake, Minson, and Williams. Only 2 have played 100.
His record with later draft picks is better than first rounders too strangely.

I'd be very surprised if Jones & Roughy don't make it to 100 games, and I haven't given up on Cordy either.

Greystache
28-05-2011, 03:40 PM
His record with later draft picks is better than first rounders too strangely.

I'd be very surprised if Jones & Roughy don't make it to 100 games, and I haven't given up on Cordy either.

He was great at picking midrange midfielders, talls and early picks weren't his strong point.

I think you're right about Roughy and Jones, interestingly they were a break away from his typical selection, he historically went for tall, really skinny athletes that he hoped would develop into big men, which almost never happened (see Everitt). Maybe by his final draft for us he'd worked that out.

Mofra
28-05-2011, 03:43 PM
I think you're right about Roughy and Jones, interestingly they were a break away from his typical selection, he historically went for tall, really skinny athletes that he hoped would develop into big men, which almost never happened (see Everitt). Maybe by his final draft for us he'd worked that out.
Worth remembering on his final draft he was basically forced to go tall as he knew we had Libba & Wallis as F/S picks the next year - in the absence of the F/S picks I'm not conviced he would have gone for 3 talls.

He drafted Minson as a forward and not a ruckman IIRC. Lake was drafted as a forward too although many gun backman are (Presti was a "flashy high marking forward" when drafted :eek:)

Greystache
28-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Worth remembering on his final draft he was basically forced to go tall as he knew we had Libba & Wallis as F/S picks the next year - in the absence of the F/S picks I'm not conviced he would have gone for 3 talls.

He drafted Minson as a forward and not a ruckman IIRC. Lake was drafted as a forward too although many gun backman are (Presti was a "flashy high marking forward" when drafted :eek:)

Still, credit where credit's due, Roughy and Jones at 30 & 31 look excellent selections.

Just quiety, Clayton was all set to select a project running player at 70 and only changed his mind at the last moment because he felt sorry for Brian and worried about him working in a meat factory. :eek:

Desipura
28-05-2011, 05:03 PM

That's all well and good however if you look at the kpps that were picked up before us, you will find there are very few very good kip's that he missed out on.
I know this because I have had this argument many times with doggies and opposition supporters who said the same thing about Clayton

LostDoggy
28-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Not much in that draft especially as we were desPerate for a tall. Definitely makes the choice look better than I thought.

bornadog
28-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Not much in that draft especially as we were desPerate for a tall. Definitely makes the choice look better than I thought.

We took Griffen (3) before Buddy. Buddy was then taken at 5 and Tommy at 6.

LostDoggy
28-05-2011, 11:21 PM
We took Griffen (3) before Buddy. Buddy was then taken at 5 and Tommy at 6.

Imagine the dogs without Griff but with Buddy, tough choice, we would have been crippled without Griff with Cooneys injuries.

Ghost Dog
29-05-2011, 12:18 AM
Gee that list of draftees after Tom is pretty ordinary... Maybe Monfries is ok but he is a limited player. Tells you how much luck plays a part in the recruitment process. Im still unsure if Clayton has drafted a decent tall without looking it up.
I find Williams frustrating to be honest, he seems lost when the ball is in the air a bit like Karmichael he tends to get caught in the wrong positions (rugby backgrounds dont fit AFL well) and think Markovic a much better read of the play and spoiler as a pure defender. Tommy has far more upside, just need to get game after game after game into him, some continuity without injury. He has Peter Dean there to assist so i still have faith (it is slowly diminishing though!)
Very suprised Markovic was dropped this week, must be matchups. Tommy's big test v Buddy.

Would Tom surprise us if played in the fwd line? And before you shoot me down, you never REALLY know until you give it a go.
If Minson can have a run, surely Tom can. Has it been tried before?

immortalmike
29-05-2011, 06:26 AM
Imagine the dogs without Griff but with Buddy, tough choice, we would have been crippled without Griff with Cooneys injuries.

The issue it seems would be we'd have Buddy but nobody to kick to him.

Desipura
29-05-2011, 09:07 AM

Who is to say Buddy would have been as good with us?

Topdog
29-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Would Tom surprise us if played in the fwd line? And before you shoot me down, you never REALLY know until you give it a go.
If Minson can have a run, surely Tom can. Has it been tried before?

Yes it has a few times (for a qtr or 2 here and there)

Mofra
29-05-2011, 12:58 PM
If we took the Hawks' pick 7 with our pick 6 we would go some measure in covering that - we would still be searching for a CHB though and few good ones have been available at our picks.

LostDoggy
03-06-2011, 12:39 AM
This thread is turning out well for you isnt it?

Yep, it sure is ........ Mulligan selected to play on Saturday.

KT31
03-06-2011, 01:03 AM

I think its a tough choice, but looking from an outside perspective and having the aim to win a flag.
Buddy (although there was some injury clouds over him in the draft) would have been the better choice, certainly would have helped in the prelim in 2009.