PDA

View Full Version : Round #10 - Slaps and Sledges

GVGjr
29-05-2011, 05:09 PM
For those who aren't familiar with the Slaps and Sledges thread:

A slap on the back for a job well done by 2 players. (not to be confused with the Woof Player Awards (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9023))
This can be a passage of player or even a spirited effort.

A sledge to two players that let down the team. Try and make this constructive critique and not just overly critical.

Provide us with your thoughts on this evenings game against the Hawks.

GVGjr
29-05-2011, 06:04 PM
That Morris run down of Franklin early in the game is worthy of a slap.

LostDoggy
29-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Slaps
Morris again.
Howard in his first game, could be something.
Hawthorn for showing us how to play when the opposition gets a run on.

Sledge
Barry may be finished

whythelongface
29-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Slaps
Morris
Murphy
Howard - showed promise and courage.
Hanging in there for the 2nd half when it looked like we could have once again capitulated.
Gia - 200 games - not bad for someone that can't play

Sledges

Where do you start......
our lack of composure
decision making
delivery
Lake is completely out of form
Cross sadly is past it ditto Gilbee

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Slap- Griffen - 4 Qtr effort almost unassisted.
Cross- Mitchell had 22 possessions before Cross went onto him, only had a further two for the game.

Sledge - umpire for that non holding the ball against Franklin when Morris ran him down in the last quarter
Sledge - Lake bereft of form and confidence, looked lost.

LostDoggy
29-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Slap : Howard , will be better for the experience

Slap : Wallis , made 7 tackles more than any other player on either team

Sledge : Hall and Lake should not have been selected to play

Sledge : Jones should have been at FF , Markovic should have been at FB

SlimPickens
29-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Slap- Morris battled hard all day.

Slap- Griff tried his guts out all day.

Sledge- our forwards who let their opponent time and time again link up through the midfield and deliver it forward. Looking squarely at Higgins, Gia and Sherman.

The Pie Man
29-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Sledge : Hall and Lake should not have been selected to play

Hall had ten scoring shots for Willy last week. Sure he was ineffectual today, though his selection was sound in my view

Conversely, Lake & Gilbee's was not. Live by the sword, or die by the sword. What may have seemed bold now looks very ordinary in the cold light of Etihad

Liked Williams forward though

Hot_Doggies
29-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Slap; Williams looked a lot more comfortable up forward.

Sledge; Wallis , he tried hard but was mentally and physically slow

Sledge; Lake- did he try?

Ditto Higgins

w3design
29-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Slap: griffen showed real champion qualities today. He kept at it with no other pacey runners to work with. My admiration really grew.

Slap: Howard looks like a player.

Sledge: disposal errors continue to be awful. Boyd's kicking blew several half chances to pull off a steal in the last qtr.

Sledge: the end for Barry? I was fearful he was going to have a total meltdown. He got some poor delivery but gee he never looked like it and his inability to chase was costly.

Sledge: another year goes by without a bulldog flag...we can't win it this year that's for sure.

Rance Fan
29-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Slap
Griffen - gives his all!
Murphy - Need him up forward and back...star

Sledge

Our Game style - Hawks showed how it was done.....run, support, present, short sharp precise kicking...goal.
If we played like that Hall may kick 5 plus goals each week!

Lake, Gilbee Higgins disappointed

Greystache
29-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Slap-

Morris- busted his gut on a player he's outmatched by, he should be gunning down midsized forwards, but no one else gives his effort.

Griff- his work rate has increased immensely in the past 2 years.

Howard- Showed a bit

Sledge-

The way our "class" players think defence is only for foot soldiers, pathetic!

Lack of composure and decision making when the opposition apply pressure, no one wants to be the kicker.

BulldogBelle
29-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Slaps
Morris, Murphy, Picken, Gia & Griffin
Howard, Wallis, Jones and Libba- these pups all tried hard and played reasonable games
There is never a good loss, but not capitulating and keeping the loss to a reasonable margin

Sledges
Our WORK-RATE....
Higgins - for a senior player on the leadership group he simply needs to run harder defensively
Playing a lazy press and allowing Hawthorn to play the game on their terms
Our decision making and skills are sub par
Delivery into the F50 - our brains simply switch off when BBB is at FF
Lake- do you play him into form in the AFL or VFL? He was a liability at times in the back 50
Gilbee- will be playing at Williamstown next week

GVGjr
29-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Slap
Morris for his work ethic and his commitment to the task.
Griffen and Picken for battling on so hard

Sledge
Lake for persistent fumbling
Higgins for being a passenger today

SonofScray
29-05-2011, 09:49 PM
SLAP
Morris - consistent and excellent application to his task, beat Buddy one on one numerous times. Often for no reward. Some real great second and third efforts.

Howard - made the definitive physical effort of the game late in the 4th quarter, went in real hard and poleaxed his opponent. Some good run and carry.

Sledge

Hall - a bit concerned by what I saw, totally ineffective. Might be done.
Higgins - his continued selection is a disgrace. His attitude, effort and leadership today were an even bigger disgrace. Simply put, should not be in the team.

LostDoggy
29-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Slap -
Griffen for going at it all game, and pretty much on one leg.
Morris for being his consistent hard working self & on someone who's a head taller and well looked after.

Sledge -
Overall lack of sticking with opponents.

Bumper Bulldogs
29-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Slap - Griffen as he was the only Dogs that tried to take the game on and get us going.
Morris beat Buddy today, he got a couple from 'Poor" umpiring decisions and had plenty of supply
Wallis and Howard for good solid games today.

Sledge - First the MC as they picked Hall, Lake, Gillbee & Higgins and had Hill on the bench far to long
Higgins for the number of times he didn't man up his man, when Mitchell marked inside F50 he pointed to Griff then walked up the field, just not good enough.
Gilbee has to be out of credits now so just play Howard.
Hall & Lake well not sure but them had shockers, Hall got two hands on 4 balls the first 1/2 and split all chances.

Mofra
29-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Slap -
Griffen was sensational - 19 touches & 5 tackles to halftime and only injuries slowed him
Jones' hands on the HF line - really looked like an AFL standard CHF today
Williams showed a bit today...

Sledges -
... as a small forward. Tommy, you're 6 foot 5 and weigh nigh on 100kg. Use it.
Hall. Looked nowhere near it today

Remi Moses
29-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Slaps- Howard Promising start
Slaps - Morris great effort on Buddy
Slaps- Griffin great today worked his arse off

Sledges- holding the ball , it's official you can have 15 min to rid of the thing
Sledge- Higgins, clear winner in the finger pointing 3 votes
Ditto Brian Lake
Sledge - lack of work as a side and the lack of run and carry
Sledge - the season still has 13 frigging games to go

Sedat
29-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Slap - Griffen and Murphy, for their willingness to take the opposition on and move the ball with some forward momentum.

Sledge - workrate, especially Higgins. Noted several times already but his unwillingness to close the space and allow Guerra to kick the sealer when we were still somehow in the hunt was mind-bogglingly lazy. 299 possessions indicated an overall lack of workrate to get the ball, Hawthorn's 180 marks was a terrible indictment on our willingness to try and win the ball back off the opposition.

Scorlibo
29-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Slaps

- Ryan Griffen is now one of the best midfielders in the competition. He is consistently outstanding and will become huge later in the year with additional support from Cooney and Higgins.

- Robert Murphy would make any team, if a real Australian team was picked (not a pat on the back, meaningless AA 'team') he would have to be one of the first picked.

- Williams up forward. He was a key component of a mini comeback, although not sure of how viable an option up forward he will be in the future considering Grant and Jones will hold the key positions.

- Daniel Cross' job on Mitchell in the second half. This must become his new role as a defensive player.

Sledges

- Tom Liberatore wasn't good enough today

- Sam Reid wasn't good enough today and has no place in the side, not now and not anytime soon. Trade.

- Easton Wood wasn't good enough today

- Liam Jones wasn't good enough today

- The general stream of criticism on this forum. What is the POINT in continually potting players like Gia and Higgins, when they aren't even close to being as bad as the above mentioned players.

- Barry Hall, we are a better side without him, he is slow and can't take contested marks = useless and an easy rebound for the opposition.

- Mitch Wallis, I don't care how many tackles you laid today, because most of them were a result of being second to the ball, being too slow, and not having any sense for the flow of the play. Stop-start, chip kick crap. Get better or get going.

- Liam Picken, the hero of the woofers, you constantly butcher the ball.

- Lindsay Gilbee, needs to start believing in himself. Did not see him once run by for the handball, completely uncreative from defense when we needed it so badly.

- The coaches. There seems to be no capacity for motivation in our coaching ranks anymore, and no sense of purpose in creating a settled team. The best teams are those which are settled, I understand that injuries have worked against us, but ffs how is any player supposed to find form being constantly switched around the ground week to week, quarter to quarter and having very, very few constants within the team. Pick a best team and stick to it.

Topdog
29-05-2011, 10:56 PM
- The general stream of criticism on this forum. What is the POINT in continually potting players like Gia and Higgins, when they aren't even close to being as bad as the above mentioned players.

- Mitch Wallis, I don't care how many tackles you laid today, because most of them were a result of being second to the ball, being too slow, and not having any sense for the flow of the play. Stop-start, chip kick crap. Get better or get going.

I'm just going to highlight these 2 comments and let you guess my thoughts.

Sedat
29-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Sledges

- Sam Reid wasn't good enough today and has no place in the side, not now and not anytime soon. Trade.

- Barry Hall, we are a better side without him, he is slow and can't take contested marks = useless and an easy rebound for the opposition.

- Lindsay Gilbee, needs to start believing in himself. Did not see him once run by for the handball, completely uncreative from defense when we needed it so badly.

- The coaches. There seems to be no capacity for motivation in our coaching ranks anymore, and no sense of purpose in creating a settled team. The best teams are those which are settled, I understand that injuries have worked against us, but ffs how is any player supposed to find form being constantly switched around the ground week to week, quarter to quarter and having very, very few constants within the team. Pick a best team and stick to it.
Interesting post. You pot a number of other posters for criticising Higgins and Gia in particular but your post is littered with criticism of a number of players as well as the coaching staff. Not disagreeing with some of what you wrote but surely others have the right to express their views in a negative manner as they see it, much as you've done above.

PS - what you wrote about Wallis (the highlighted part above) surely can apply to Higgins ten-fold. Wallis' propensity and willingness to tackle certainly sets him apart from Higgins. I actually agree with what you wrote about Wallis being 2nd to the ball but for a 3rd gamer he will adjust to the flow of senior football.

AndrewP6
29-05-2011, 11:30 PM

The point is they are senior leaders of the team. The ones you've potted are kids still learning to become AFL footballers.

Mitch Wallis is eighteen. EIGHTEEN. Give him a break.

AndrewP6
29-05-2011, 11:40 PM
Slaps

Morris for his work punching above his weight on "Three Strikes" Franklin.
Howard, did enough to suggest he can play an important part in the team
Griff for working his tail off.

Special mention to Tommy for his forward line foray.

Sledges
- Anyone who kicks it forward to a one on three. Bloody hell, that story is getting old.
- Our slow, lazy players.

Scorlibo
29-05-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm just going to highlight these 2 comments and let you guess my thoughts.

Your thoughts are that my comments contradict each other? Incorrect.

I said it was silly to pot players like Higgins and Gia who were in out best ten players.

I then potted Wallis, who isn't, and who has not given us much at all in his three opportunities.

Interesting post. You pot a number of other posters for criticising Higgins and Gia in particular but your post is littered with criticism of a number of players as well as the coaching staff. Not disagreeing with some of what you wrote but surely others have the right to express their views in a negative manner as they see it, much as you've done above.

PS - what you wrote about Wallis (the highlighted part above) surely can apply to Higgins ten-fold. Wallis' propensity and willingness to tackle certainly sets him apart from Higgins. I actually agree with what you wrote about Wallis being 2nd to the ball but for a 3rd gamer he will adjust to the flow of senior football.

Gia and Higgins don't deserve half the criticism leveled at them. That is why I defend them, not because of some hatred of expressing negative views. Go nuts - like I did - but don't forget to be fair in your assessments. The continuous anger at Gia and Higgins isn't fair.

I have no doubt that Wallis can adjust to the flow of the game, but at this stage he is nowhere near being an effective cog in any given running play. Higgins on the other hand has proven that he is a good reader of the play, rarely if ever gets caught without getting a positive possession away, and is usually first to the ball.

The point is they are senior leaders of the team. The ones you've potted are kids still learning to become AFL footballers.

Mitch Wallis is eighteen. EIGHTEEN. Give him a break.

Mitch Wallis is a member of the Western Bulldogs Football Club selected 22 players.

Shaun Higgins is a member of the Western Bulldogs Football Club selected 22 players.

Forget age, this is all you should be looking at, I'm not saying that Wallis can't get better, I'm saying that until he does he shouldn't be playing.

Topdog
29-05-2011, 11:50 PM
In our best 10? Did you watch the game @ Etihad stadium?

AndrewP6
29-05-2011, 11:57 PM
Mitch Wallis is a member of the Western Bulldogs Football Club selected 22 players.

Shaun Higgins is a member of the Western Bulldogs Football Club selected 22 players.

Forget age, this is all you should be looking at, I'm not saying that Wallis can't get better, I'm saying that until he does he shouldn't be playing.

OK then, I won't add anything else, the staggering absurdity of this last sentence astounds me.

Sedat
30-05-2011, 12:00 AM
Gia and Higgins don't deserve half the criticism leveled at them. That is why I defend them, not because of some hatred of expressing negative views. Go nuts - like I did - but don't forget to be fair in your assessments. The continuous anger at Gia and Higgins isn't fair.
We'll have to agree to disagree specifically in relation to Higgins. Hawthorn won this game with their rebound drive off half back, and the likes of Guerra and Birchall were simply given far too much time and space on the ball to distribute it further afield with precision.

A dogs life
30-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Slaps

- Ryan Griffen is now one of the best midfielders in the competition. He is consistently outstanding and will become huge later in the year with additional support from Cooney and Higgins.

- Robert Murphy would make any team, if a real Australian team was picked (not a pat on the back, meaningless AA 'team') he would have to be one of the first picked.

- Williams up forward. He was a key component of a mini comeback, although not sure of how viable an option up forward he will be in the future considering Grant and Jones will hold the key positions.

- Daniel Cross' job on Mitchell in the second half. This must become his new role as a defensive player.

Sledges

Do you not think it is a bit late in Gilbee's carreer to try and get him to beleive in himself. I thought he would have done this by now.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-05-2011, 12:10 AM
Slap:

* Griffen. We'd be stuffed without him. Great player.

* Morris. See above.

* Picken. Bounce back today after a few poor performances in recent weeks.

* Williams. Thought he looked better up forward and I hope we persist with this.

* Howard. Showed courage a couple of times and put in two brilliant passes to Hall and Lake, under pressure, which they both dropped. Nice sign though.

Sledge:

* Higgins. WOG.

* Hall. Unfortunately Barry is a liability now.

* Wallis. I'm all for playing kids and wouldn't object to him continue playing given the state we're in, but he's not ready at the moment.

Scorlibo
30-05-2011, 12:24 AM
In our best 10? Did you watch the game @ Etihad stadium?

I was in the third row. He was better than 12 players, therefore he was in the best 10. It doesn't mean he was good, just that as a team we were pathetic and Higgins was better than 12 others (Hall, Reid, Liberatore, Hill, Gilbee, Jones, Wood, Lake, Howard, Williams, Wallis, Sherman).

OK then, I won't add anything else, the staggering absurdity of this last sentence astounds me.

So from what I can gather, you think that age does matter, and that 18 year olds should be given games regardless of their output? I repeat, age should not be a factor if we want to be successful in season 2011.

* Higgins. WOG.

Not by a long way.

LostDoggy
30-05-2011, 12:30 AM
Okay , calm down , if you want to have expanded posts on today's game do it in the right thread

2 Slaps

2 Sledges

That,s all you get !!!

bornadog
30-05-2011, 12:30 AM
Slap -
Griffen was sensational - 19 touches & 5 tackles to halftime and only injuries slowed him
Jones' hands on the HF line - really looked like an AFL standard CHF today
Williams showed a bit today...

Sledges -
... as a small forward. Tommy, you're 6 foot 5 and weigh nigh on 100kg. Use it.
Hall. Looked nowhere near it today

Sorry Mofra have to pick you up on the nomination of Jones. Yes he did a couple of good things but 5 disposals is woeful

AndrewP6
30-05-2011, 12:43 AM
So from what I can gather, you think that age does matter, and that 18 year olds should be given games regardless of their output? I repeat, age should not be a factor if we want to be successful in season 2011.

Not by a long way.

OK I guess I will add. Yes, age does matter. If he ran around cluelessly, had no ability to read play and could not kick or handball, then he shouldn't play. If he shows promise, does some good things and doesn't look out of place, he ought to be given at least another game.

I think the good ship "Success" might have sailed this year already.

Scorlibo
30-05-2011, 01:29 AM
I think the good ship "Success" might have sailed this year already.

That's all I wanted to hear. You have given up on this year and want to blood the kids, and that's fine. I haven't, and I know the club hasn't, hence the viewpoint I'm taking regarding the unimportance of age.

AndrewP6
30-05-2011, 01:30 AM
That's all I wanted to hear. You have given up on this year and want to blood the kids, and that's fine. I haven't, and I know the club hasn't, hence the viewpoint I'm taking regarding the unimportance of age.

Fair enough, although I'd still play him, unless there's a better option.

Topdog
30-05-2011, 01:39 AM
I suppose it depends on philosophy Scorlibo.

Personally you pick players who aren't your best 22 but who are giving you the best at the time.

Higgins has a high standard and is no where near it therefore should be dropped. What Wallis lacks in speed of the game he makes up for with his endeavour to do the 15, something that apparently Higgins has forgotten.

Do you think Dal Santo was the worst player in the Saints side 2 years ago to get dropped?

Scorlibo
30-05-2011, 02:19 AM
I suppose it depends on philosophy Scorlibo.

Absolutely.

Personally you pick players who aren't your best 22 but who are giving you the best at the time.

Sure.

Higgins has a high standard and is no where near it therefore should be dropped.

But can't you see that this isn't how a team is selected? It's not about comparing a player's performance to their best performance, it's about comparing a player's performance to that of other players.

What Wallis lacks in speed of the game he makes up for with his endeavour to do the 15, something that apparently Higgins has forgotten.

We will have to agree to disagree, I saw Shaun work quite hard today in close.

Do you think Dal Santo was the worst player in the Saints side 2 years ago to get dropped?

No, he wasn't. He was one of their best.

What makes you think this was a correct decision though?

Nick Dal Santo averaged 22 disposals either side of his one game omission, and it was indeed a one game omission, so there were no lasting positive effects.

So essentially St Kilda lost one of their better players for a game (two counting Milne) and as a result nearly lost at home to a Fremantle side coming in with a 2-10 record that season. If they had lost this game, they would have finished 8th that season, instead of 4th, then maybe never played a preliminary final, and never have had the success they did in 2009.

The only case you could possibly make FOR the decision is that is sparked the rest of the team, with St Kilda having a fairly successful latter half of the season. Yet we have already made it very clear that if a senior player isn't performing that they will be axed (Lake, Gilbee, Hudson).

Desipura
30-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Slap: Griffen is a leader, if all our best players performed like leaders, we would be much better.
Libba, although still learning the game, he only had 11 possies, I thought he earnt every single one of them. Once he learns how to get in a position to get more uncontested possies, he will be a very well rounded player.

Morris/Picken - another 2 leaders who do inspirational thingsie backing into packs
Sledge:
Hall, father time appears to have caught up with him

Gia, kicked goals from limited opportunities, missed a crucial in the 2nd. Getting caught holding the ball knowing your oppoenent is on your tail was evidence how much faster the game has become. Otherwise performed ok.

Gilbee, sadly did not rspond in the manner we had all hoped.

Mofra
30-05-2011, 10:40 AM
* Higgins. WOG.

* Hall. Unfortunately Barry is a liability now.
I thought Hall & Gilbee were much worse than Higgins.

Ozza
30-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Slap: Ryan Griffen's efforts all day.

Slap: The piece of play where Gia laid the initial body on his opponent to get him out of the way - kept the ball moving forward for us - and then kept working to get it back and kick a checkside shot on the run was our best moment for the day.

Sledge: The piece of play when in our forward line Williams (I think) slapped the ball to keep in in play and it hit Higgins' foot and rooled forward - his opponent who was behind him got passed Shaun and dived on the footy - just wanted the footy much much more. This was just one moment that typified Higgins lack of intensity - the amount of times Guerra got uncontested footy was just pure laziness.

Sledge: Dumb footy. We push ALL our numbers up towards the contest , and crowd the oppositions half - leaving no forward structure whatsoever, but then we still want to play this ridiculous 'play on at all costs' footy where blokes end up kicking to Hall one out against 3 or 4 opponents. The two strategies don't marry up whatsoever. What is going on there? Everyone in the stadium can see it happening - and it happens in every single game that we play against a decent side - and has happened for 4 years.

LostDoggy
30-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Slap: Griff - years ago we asked more of him and he's now delivering. Gun.
Slap: Bob Murphy - at 28 he's still very fast. Chased down Rioli a couple of times.

Sledge: Lake - where's your head at mate?
Sledge: Minson - back to his old horrible ways.

I think calls for Hall's retirement are way too premature, he just looked like a guy that hasn't played AFL for 5 weeks.

bornadog
30-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Slap - Griffen a class act
Slap - Morris, shouldn't be playing on guys like Buddy, but overall beat him
Slap - Gia - 22 disposals, 12 CONTESTED, 5 goals contributed and could have kicked three more.

Sledge - Our supporters for constant bagging of Gia

Sledge - to the 12 players who had 11 disposals or less (except Morris)

LostDoggy
30-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Slap - Gia - 22 disposals, 12 CONTESTED, 5 goals contributed and could have kicked three more.

Agree plus
Sledge The play on at all costs doesnt work against the good sides . It only works against the rubbish sides . This game plan worked 2 years ago but fails with the new forward press that teams apply

Greystache
30-05-2011, 01:40 PM

If you were to ask Hawthorn about the match up with Gia and Guerra they would tell you they were thrilled with the outcome. Guerra was BOG, had 35 possessions, kicked 2 goals, and set up another 6 from halfback.

Ozza
30-05-2011, 01:54 PM
If you were to ask Hawthorn about the match up with Gia and Guerra they would tell you they were thrilled with the outcome. Guerra was BOG, had 35 possessions, kicked 2 goals, and set up another 6 from halfback.

I was pretty sure Gia was on Puopolo for most of the game.

bornadog
30-05-2011, 02:02 PM

yes he was, other than when Gia went to the centre a few times.

Greystache
30-05-2011, 02:03 PM

I watched the contest pretty closely, and they were switching Guerra and Birchall off him when I was watching.

bornadog
30-05-2011, 02:04 PM
I watched the contest pretty closely, and they were switching Guerra and Birchall off him when I was watching.

Definantly Puopolo was picking up Gia, if the other two were on him, that would have been brief time. I went with a Hawthorn supporter and asked him about Puopolo.

comrade
30-05-2011, 02:24 PM

From my POV, Guerra spent a heap of time running off Higgins. Collectively the forward group was pretty bad, but to attribute Guerra's performance solely on Gia is harsh (and I'm not a Gia sympathizer).

chef
30-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Definantly Puopolo was picking up Gia, if the other two were on him, that would have been brief time. I went with a Hawthorn supporter and asked him about Puopolo.

To bad we couldn't get him last year, he would be handy right now and probably thankful that the Hawks got in first.

the banker
30-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Slaps : Griffen, Morris, Murphy, Ward
Tommy for his goals and a couple of quality assists. Looked better forward
Howard moved well with the ball

Sledge: Getting to the contest with real intention.
Too often we cut out of close to boundry contests allowing "miraculous" opposition play. Manic intesity of effort is required 100% of the time. A few players waiting for a magic moment (Higgins #1)

always right
30-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Slap:

The last quarter contest on the boundary line between Murphy and Rioli. Rioli pursuing the contest like a man posessed....Murphy showing incredible determination and balance to keep the ball moving to his advantage along the boundary. The ball ended up out of bounds with Hawthorn supporters cheering Rioli and Bulldog supporters cheering Murphy. Two class acts.

No matter what the state of the game, one of football's great pleasures is watching Bob Murphy with the ball in his hands. Should justly be in AA contention on his form this year, playing in a defence under enormous pressure.

LostDoggy
30-05-2011, 05:01 PM
The hawks supporters ejaculate every time Rioli gets near the ball.

the banker
30-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Sledge #2 The forward structures and forward defensive pressure has been woeful. Who shares the responsibilty for this? Who works with Brett Montgomery?

Maddog37
30-05-2011, 05:24 PM

So does Bruce Mc. Sickening, although I would love him in our team!!!

Sedat
30-05-2011, 05:32 PM
I reckon I would too if we had a player with his sublime skill that loves just as much to get his hands dirty and do the defensive hunting on rebounder defenders.

Not since Peter Matera have I seen a player that can cause so much carnage with so few possessions.

bornadog
30-05-2011, 05:45 PM
I reckon I would too if we had a player with his sublime skill that loves just as much to get his hands dirty and do the defensive hunting on rebounder defenders.

Not since Peter Matera have I seen a player that can cause so much carnage with so few possessions.

His second and third efforts are amazing.

Desipura
30-05-2011, 06:03 PM

I can see why!

bornadog
30-05-2011, 06:34 PM
I can see why!

Picken negated him for the night.

always right
30-05-2011, 06:38 PM

I would suggest he "limited" him. Still did some spectacular things and had a direct hand in several goals....despite the excellent efforts of Picken.

LostDoggy
30-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Rioli didn't do that much yesterday. He is very good and will take him at the dogs but he had a hawk fan groaning behind me before he did anything.

Desipura
30-05-2011, 08:24 PM

He sure did and did well. I still understand why Hawks supporters get excited when he gets the ball.

Topdog
30-05-2011, 09:04 PM
No, he wasn't. He was one of their best.

What makes you think this was a correct decision though?

Nick Dal Santo averaged 22 disposals either side of his one game omission, and it was indeed a one game omission, so there were no lasting positive effects.

So essentially St Kilda lost one of their better players for a game (two counting Milne) and as a result nearly lost at home to a Fremantle side coming in with a 2-10 record that season. If they had lost this game, they would have finished 8th that season, instead of 4th, then maybe never played a preliminary final, and never have had the success they did in 2009.

The only case you could possibly make FOR the decision is that is sparked the rest of the team, with St Kilda having a fairly successful latter half of the season. Yet we have already made it very clear that if a senior player isn't performing that they will be axed (Lake, Gilbee, Hudson).

They were 5 and 7 at that point and ended the season 13 and 9. Thats a pretty remarkable turnaround and NDS and esp. Milne after it played how he demanded not how they liked. The whole team improved because of it.

We are yet to axe anyone for failure to adhere to instructions except for kids IMO and Gilbee hasn't actually been dropped yet. Lake dropped for fitness and huddo because he looks like a spent force.

I wouldn't call anything the Dogs MC have done as putting their foot down and demanding we play a certain way.

always right
30-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Probably the only player who generates almost as much excitement when he is chasing as when he has the ball. Lots of players are quick with the ball in their hands...not all of them are as quick when they are chasing. Johnno was a good example:D. Rioli is a gun and we would get just as excited if he played for us.

Scorlibo
31-05-2011, 09:36 AM
They were 5 and 7 at that point and ended the season 13 and 9. Thats a pretty remarkable turnaround

Like I said, if you're looking at it from a team perspective and how it motivated them, we have already had key players dropped, I don't see how dropping Higgins will motivate them any further.

NDS

The facts say that he didn't improve after being dropped.

and esp. Milne after it played how he demanded not how they liked.

Milne kicked 27 goals before being dropped, 33 goals after being dropped.

More significantly, he laid just 12 tackles after being dropped (at 1 per game) compared to 25 before being dropped.

We are yet to axe anyone for failure to adhere to instructions except for kids IMO and Gilbee hasn't actually been dropped yet. Lake dropped for fitness and huddo because he looks like a spent force.

Arguably Lake was dropped just as much for not adhering to instructions as being unfit. Other than this you are correct, although I think the more relevant question is whether Higgins is/was adhering to instructions. It's a question only the coaching staff can answer.

I wouldn't call anything the Dogs MC have done as putting their foot down and demanding we play a certain way.

Have they even decided which way they want to play yet? I would hope that players could simply listen to the coaches if they want to refine team instructions than have to take the rather extreme action of dropping Higgins or someone else to make an example of them. To me this action shouldn't be necessary, and even if it was, it might not be Higgins who is dropped.

Topdog
31-05-2011, 09:26 PM
The facts say that he didn't improve after being dropped.

stats aren't facts.

I think the more relevant question is whether Higgins is/was adhering to instructions. It's a question only the coaching staff can answer.

Pretty sure he isn't told to not chase his man and yell at his teammates to do his job.