PDA

View Full Version : Round #11 Match Committee

GVGjr
29-05-2011, 05:12 PM
If you were on the Match Committee who would the likely ins and outs for the round 11 away game against the top of the table Geelong side next Saturday at Kardinia Park?

GVGjr
29-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Where do we start?

comrade
29-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Where do we start?

Hill and Gilbee have been really poor defensively. Lake is not AFL standard right now.

LostDoggy
29-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Gilbee would be in trouble, Wood made some mistakes but did some good things, worth another shot. Might be all over for Barry.

giaco
29-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Gilbee would be in trouble, Wood made some mistakes but did some good things, worth another shot. Might be all over for Barry.

Wood has to go. Hall probably too. Maybe Grant and Schofield in.

whythelongface
29-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Grant back in for Hall.

Gilbee out DJ in. If Cooney is ok would like to see him come in and drop Cross back to Willi.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Wood has to go. Hall probably too. Maybe Grant and Schofield in.

If we persisted with Stack for several weeks then I think we need to show the same perserverence with Wood.
Wood at least looks more confident and has a preparedness to back himself, still has a long learning curve ahead of him, and given where we are, we need to get more games into him.

Grant needs to continue to work on his effort, and workrate I would've thought before he gets back in.

lemmon
29-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Probably have too just continue trimming off a few older guys who aren't contributing much, its not like we aren't playing the kids and we are still a chance for the eight so its not time to go full scale rebuild. Gilbee out for Dalhaus and Lake to Willi till he gets some form for Mulligan, persist with Hall week to week but if Cordys form continues then perhaps he could change out of full forward and ruck

LostDoggy
29-05-2011, 08:38 PM
If we persisted with Stack for several weeks then I think we need to show the same perserverence with Wood.
Wood at least looks more confident and has a preparedness to back himself, still has a long learning curve ahead of him, and given where we are, we need to get more games into him.

Grant needs to continue to work on his effort, and workrate I would've thought before he gets back in.

Agree on Wood but some of his errors were very bad, he would want to improve next week.

Mantis
29-05-2011, 09:10 PM
I will add more later on, but no.1 on my hitlist is Shaun Higgins.... He needs to removed from the team... Just has to be.

He was ok when around the ball, but his work off the ball was disgusting.. Dead-set refused to pick up a man.

And as a leader of our group his berating of the younger players was embarrasiing... Pull your head in Shaun.

LostDoggy
29-05-2011, 09:15 PM
I will add more later on, but no.1 on my hitlist is Shaun Higgins.... He needs to removed from the team... Just has to be.

He was ok when around the ball, but his work off the ball was disgusting.. Dead-set refused to pick up a man.

And as a leader of our group his berating of the younger players was embarrasiing... Pull your head in Shaun.

Were you at the game? From the tv he looked like a reasonable contributor.

The Pie Man
29-05-2011, 09:15 PM

I can't remember the exact subject (it was a list of some sort) and we debated the merit of including Higgins in it - you suggested he was still in 'potential' stage. In hindsight, I've got no idea what I was thinking at the time. Sets a very ordinary example, and ... me is he slow these days

Mantis
29-05-2011, 09:16 PM

Yes I was.

The crowd around me were all extremely vocal about Shaun's work-rate off the ball (more like lack of).

Hotdog60
29-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Geelong will be a hard task, I think we need some strong bodies for the contest. If there are to be any changes I wouldn't go overboard, Hall maybe as he maybe injured.

I would keep Lake in a hope to God he can only get better and find form, we could bring in Mulligan for Hall and send Lake to CHF with Jones deep forward and rotate Lake and Jones through the course of the game.

We keep the same ruck setup and have Williams rest in the pocket.

Gilbee could make way for Dahlhaus or Djerrkura

Hotdog60
29-05-2011, 09:20 PM

I saw it on TV, was it when Higgins didn't want to chase his man and then had to and then abused someone for not swapping postions with him so he didn't have to chase.

LostDoggy
29-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Yes I was.

The crowd around me were all extremely vocal about Shaun's work-rate off the ball (more like lack of).

Disappointing to hear.

Happy Days
29-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Hall and Gilbee out, DJ and Dahlhaus in.

Bring back the mosquito fleet.

w3design
29-05-2011, 09:37 PM

Unfortunately at the game his complete failure to man up was only too apparent. Many lazy efforts where he pointed to others but refused to pick up an obviosly loose player who, sure enough, was the next link in the chain. Higgins needs to go back to Willi. Even his finishing wasn't good, a guy of his class missing from 35 out...:confused:

Rocco Jones
29-05-2011, 09:40 PM
I saw it on TV, was it when Higgins didn't want to chase his man and then had to and then abused someone for not swapping postions with him so he didn't have to chase.

I went off my rocker a few times at his pointing. I'm not exaggerating, I have never seen a player point as often as he did today.

Having a go at Jones (I think topped it off). At one stage he was screaming at someone to pick up some other player's opponent, in the mean time his own opponent got free and received the ball!

I think Shaun is a danger to the side at the moment. Having few leaders is bad but having 'leaders' who set the wrong example is worse.

OUT: Higgins, Gilbee, Hall
IN: DJ, Dahlhaus/Barlow (I'd like them both in but they are rookies), Veszpremi (give him a go, perhaps as a sub, if he doesn't work his arse off = he is automatically out).

Pickenitup
29-05-2011, 09:44 PM
In Djerrkura, Grant(If Hall is INJ),Markovic, Hargrave
Out Hall(If INJ)Libba (Needs a Rest) ,Gilbee,Hill

Rocco Jones
29-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Really disagree with the Grant in calls. His exclusion wasn't/shouldn't have been about not being in our best 22, he clearly is IMO. It was a long term decision to do with his poor work rate.

From what I have heard about his game for Willy yesterday it sounded like he was doing the same things. Some great work to kick 4 goals but didn't work hard, didn't like the showing of the ball to opponent then missing thing either. I don't care how many he kicks for Willy, I only want him back in the side if he works his arse off for them first.

Mantis
29-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Players who would be the gun so to speak:

Higgins - for reasons already listed.

Gilbee- just not up to AFL standard anymore.

Hall - father time may have caught up.

Wallis - just not ready yet, tries hard, but needs to spend most of the year in the VFL.

Reid - came off sore a few times and his lack of aerobic fitness means he struggles in the modern game.

Rocco Jones
29-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Reid - came off sore a few times and his lack of aerobic fitness means he struggles in the modern game.

Sadly, I agree.

I wanted him to be used as a sub but while it reduces your time, it means you have to pretty much play 100% TOG when you come on which Reid will struggle with.

LostDoggy
29-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Would like to see DFA get a sustained run from here on in, perhaps in the forward line as Sedat proposed elsewhere.

Mofra
29-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Hard to argue against any of those - Lake's brainfades today were quite noticeable so he could be added to that list too.

bornadog
29-05-2011, 10:15 PM

Higgins - for reasons already listed.

Gilbee- just not up to AFL standard anymore.

Hall - father time may have caught up.

Wallis - just not ready yet, tries hard, but needs to spend most of the year in the VFL.

Agree with this and in hindsight Higgins should have not played last week and should have played for Willi. I was surprised Reid got a game ahead of DJ. Not sure what you do with Hall, but to his defense, we did not deliver the ball well to him at all and the one time we did, he handballed to Gia who was surrounded by Hawks.

Hard to argue against any of those - Lake's brainfades today were quite noticeable so he could be added to that list too.

At least with Lake there is a tremendous up side and he will be better for the run.

Bumper Bulldogs
29-05-2011, 10:23 PM

I was at the game and can second the lack of effort from Higgins, He played only for himself today!

bornadog
29-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Come on posters where is the lets drop Wood calls - whoops his name is not Stack. :rolleyes:

Cost us the first two goals of the match, really struggled today to get his hands on the ball. Yes a couple of dashes down the field but bad kicking.

GVGjr
29-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Come on posters where is the lets drop Wood calls - whoops his name is not Stack. :rolleyes:

Cost us the first two goals of the match, really struggled today to get his hands on the ball. Yes a couple of dashes down the field but bad kicking.

I'd have no problems with Stack being recalled but I'm 50/50 on Wood being omitted.

azabob
29-05-2011, 10:30 PM

I think the match committee have let Wood down, he should have played at Williamstown for a good 3 weeks before coming back.

The MC have let quite a few players down by playing them when they are clearly not match fit such as Higgins, Wood and Hall to name a few.

comrade
29-05-2011, 10:30 PM

Stack has produced better games than what Wood showed today, but at least with Wood his attack on the ball is uncompromising and he does look to take the game on, whereas Stack is hesitant.

I agree that if Stack played the same game, there would be calls to drop him. Wood is probably lucky that there were worse performers ahead of him today.

bornadog
29-05-2011, 10:32 PM
I'd have no problems with Stack being recalled but I'm 50/50 on Wood being omitted.

GVGjr, not my usual sort of post, I just wanted to show how posters pick on certain players.

I agree, Wood should continue to be played as he is young and learning. Just as I thought, Stack should not have been dropped and still playing HBF with Wood.

Greystache
29-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Out- Higgins, Reid, Gilbee, Hall, Wallis

In- DJ, Dahlhaus, Schofield, Mulligan, Addison

giaco
29-05-2011, 10:37 PM

Clearly our worst player, but he looks quick.

comrade
29-05-2011, 10:40 PM

I could live with that.

DJ, Dahl and Addison should all be given roles in our forward 50.

Honestly, what was the point in playing Reid? He's as agile as Mitch Hahn.

Rocco Jones
29-05-2011, 10:43 PM
I could live with that.

DJ, Dahl and Addison should all be given roles in our forward 50.

Honestly, what was the point in playing Reid? He's as agile as Mitch Hahn.

Totally agree. We all want him to do well and it's hard to have a go at a guy like Reid but he just isn't made for the modern game. :(

I would also love to see DJ, Dahl and DFA in a smaller, defensive pressure orientated forward line. What about Picken?

Mantis
29-05-2011, 10:48 PM

Agree with the out's, but not convinced on the in's.

I would like to give Schofield a look in, but his form has tapered away a little over the past few weeks so I think he needs to stay in the VFL for now.

Also don't know what Addison brings to the table... he battles hard, but we need pace and he has none.

Cooney & Stack come in for me.

Sedat
29-05-2011, 10:52 PM
I think the match committee have let Wood down, he should have played at Williamstown for a good 3 weeks before coming back.
Our 2011 season reminds me of Hawthorn's 2009 season (minus the flag of course). Terrible pre-season for a number of key players and a complete inability to run out matches as a result.

Bumper Bulldogs
29-05-2011, 10:54 PM
All in all, we need fit players on the field, If Cooney and Hargrave are fit straight back in for me. Honestly I cant see how if they missed this week they will be any good next week.

On what I saw today, the out i would go with are ,
Hall (Had ice on his knee and couldn't move well)
Gilbee sorry just has had a poor year and with his output at the moment we are better off with a kid
Reid pulled up sore and looked lost at times
Lake.....not sure, I don't think he played well but you can't drop him now as you brought him back.
Higgins....again is he going to be better than another, the MC need to get this one right.

Ok Hall, Gilbee, Reid & Libba are my 4 outs
Ins are Moles, Scofield, Vespremi and Djerrkurra as I cant see Cooney, Hargrave and moles being fit

Greystache
29-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Agree with the out's, but not convinced on the in's.

I would like to give Schofield a look in, but his form has tapered away a little over the past few weeks so I think he needs to stay in the VFL for now.

Also don't know what Addison brings to the table... he battles hard, but we need pace and he has none.

It has, his preseason and early season form was better but he hasn't been poor the last couple of weeks. I just see him as Gilbee's replacement across halfback, and realistically we're going get pumped next week and he'll get more out of it. If Cooney's fit then I'd play him instead.

I think Addison has a place as a defensive forward, especially against Geelong. Plus with some of our leaders in our forward line we desperately need some defensive strength.

LostDoggy
29-05-2011, 11:17 PM

The MC have let quite a few players down by playing them when they are clearly not match fit such as Higgins, Wood and Hall to name a few.

Hall played well at williamstown no problem with the mc there. He is finished at afl level.

Sedat
29-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Really disagree with the Grant in calls. His exclusion wasn't/shouldn't have been about not being in our best 22, he clearly is IMO. It was a long term decision to do with his poor work rate.
Agreed. He is part of our future but he needs a few weeks to work on his defensive work before getting a call-up. I do however want him back in the team ASAP once he has ironed out his defensive intensity issues.

Doc26
29-05-2011, 11:31 PM

At the current rate we might consider renaming ourselves the Seagulls.

Greystache
29-05-2011, 11:35 PM
At the current rate we might consider renaming ourselves the Seagulls.

How do you think Ben Jolley would go?

I think we need to face facts, we're declining quickly and it's worth finding out a bit about our young kids rather than waiting until next season.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-05-2011, 11:59 PM

It's a good point.

Wood has been pretty poor since returning, not that it's unexpected after a lengthy layoff. Perhaps he does need a spell, but after investing two weeks in him already, we're probably better off just playing him.

I don't think Stack should have beend dropped in the first place, either.

bornadog
30-05-2011, 12:21 AM

Hargrave?

Greystache
30-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Hargrave?

Is he right?

Otherwise he'll come in.

bornadog
30-05-2011, 12:38 AM
Is he right?

Otherwise he'll come in.

Thats why I had a question mark. Hopefully he is ok.

chef
30-05-2011, 07:48 AM

He should be finding form at Willi not for the Dogs. I'd rather have Stack in the team than Wood.

always right
30-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Everyone says it's time to re-build. We need to perservere with blokes we see as our future. Wood has struggled to get continuity due to injuries so the more senior games we can get into him, the better the quicker we will see the rewards.

Same with Jones and Howard.....should not be dropped for the rest of the season as long as their attitude and work rate is maintained.

bornadog
30-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Everyone says it's time to re-build. We need to perservere with blokes we see as our future. Wood has struggled to get continuity due to injuries so the more senior games we can get into him, the better the quicker we will see the rewards.

Same with Jones and Howard.....should not be dropped for the rest of the season as long as their attitude and work rate is maintained.

and Stack as well.

Desipura
30-05-2011, 10:40 AM
This is the exact point I made some weeks ago where a number of the leaders take the easy option and point for their teammates to man up an opponent so they can have a breather.
Its setting a poor example that cannot be changed due to their inability to catch their opponenet or are just plain lazy.

Mofra
30-05-2011, 10:46 AM
I would have had Jones in the top 10 yesterday (maybe top 5) - he held some difficult marks, field kicking has improved since the start of the year, and his pressure and willingness to chase/run to space/do the little things you don't get stats for is admirable.

Forget potential - he's 100% in the team on merit alone.

On merit Howard holds his spot for another week at least - hopefully he gets a bit more of it in coming weeks. Cosnidering how poor his positioning was at the intra-club at the start of the year I was pleasantly surprised with some of his work off the ball.

Desipura
30-05-2011, 10:47 AM
In: Veszpremi, Dahlhaus, Grant & Cooney
Out: Gilbee, Reid, Hall & Hill

bornadog
30-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Changes this week that I think the match committee will make assumes no injuries:

Out: Reid, Wallis, Gilbee, Hill

In: Cooney, Hargrave, DJ, Stack

This assumes Cooney and Hargrave are fit enough.

comrade
30-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Changes this week that I think the match committee will make assumes no injuries:

Out: Reid, Wallis, Gilbee, Hill

In: Cooney, Hargrave, DJ, Stack

This assumes Cooney and Hargrave are fit enough.

It's a bit stiff to bring Hill back after one week, make him the sub and then turf him but his defensive work was pretty poor. I hate his one armed tackle attempts.

Libba was very quiet and it won't get any easier for him next week. I reckon he'll be due another rest soon.

Dazza
30-05-2011, 11:02 AM
To be fair to Hall we were bombing it on top of his head with 3-4 players covering him for most of the day. He just commands too much of the ball with his presence. Having him play a decoy role could work well.

LostDoggy
30-05-2011, 11:03 AM
I'd stick with Reid if fit - no sense bringing him in for a week and turfing him out the next. He is a quality kid, with an appetite for the contest.

bornadog
30-05-2011, 11:05 AM
It's a bit stiff to bring Hill back after one week, make him the sub and then turf him but his defensive work was pretty poor. I hate his one armed tackle attempts.

Libba was very quiet and it won't get any easier for him next week. I reckon he'll be due another rest soon.

Although I agree Comrade, how many changes can we make. We had six changes this week and yes a better effort, yet 10 players had 11 disposals or less. I hate having Hill in and out swapping with Stack each week. Yet I would prefer to play some of the younger players. Maybe he shouldn't be dropped, its a hard one.

Desipura
30-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Although I agree Comrade, how many changes can we make. We had six changes this week and yes a better effort, yet 10 players had 11 disposals or less. I hate having Hill in and out swapping with Stack each week. Yet I would prefer to play some of the younger players. Maybe he shouldn't be dropped, its a hard one.

I think we need to bring in players that will offer us something in the long term, something Stack and Hill will not do

Mantis
30-05-2011, 11:08 AM
I'd stick with Reid if fit - no sense bringing him in for a week and turfing him out the next. He is a quality kid, with an appetite for the contest.

It was reported after the game that he had some problems with a hamstring which is probably why he played little part in the last qtr.

The kid is a real goer, but he isn't suited to play across HB and with many like types in the midfield already he seems destined to return back to the VFL.

bornadog
30-05-2011, 11:08 AM
I think we need to bring in players that will offer us something in the long term, something Stack and Hill will not do

Who do you sugggest?

comrade
30-05-2011, 11:10 AM

I'm not so sure about that.

Ozza
30-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Wood was terrible yesterday, and terrible the week before - but we know that he has plenty of upside, he has pace, a penetrating kick and attacks the ball hard. Those three attributes make him a non-negotiable at selection I think, if we are keeping one eye on the future.

Maddog37
30-05-2011, 11:58 AM
I am leaning towards youth as the year looks pretty much a battle from here.

Hall out. Grant in if BBB is stuffed (which it looked like.)
Lake to stay. He will improve.
Gilbee out for Hargrave if fit.
Libba out for Cooney. Libba needs a rest.

I would prefer to keep Wallis in as he is not too far away from a good game IMO.

Wood was clumsy yesterday but has obvious traits that we lack so he stays.

Ward to play on Joel Selwood all day.

Lastly, what of Veszpremi? any chance?

Desipura
30-05-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm not so sure about that.
I am. They both dont have enough urgency to play the game for a long time

G-Mo77
30-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Haven't seen the game so I'll just take a stab at it after reading a lot about it. I might change my views when I watch it later in the week.

Out: Hall, Reid (If injured), Gilbee
In: Djerrkura (If Reid is injured), Dalhaus, Grant

If Cooney is fit I'd give Libba a spell.
If Shaggy is fit he'd come in for Hill.

Not sure if they'd make 5 changes as Eade seemed reasonably upbeat. It may just be Cooney and Shaggy back.

Ghost Dog
30-05-2011, 05:48 PM
To be fair to Hall we were bombing it on top of his head with 3-4 players covering him for most of the day. He just commands too much of the ball with his presence. Having him play a decoy role could work well.

Far out. Rocket said when Hall came to the club he was going to use him in a decoy role now and then. Have not seen it at all.

LostDoggy
30-05-2011, 06:48 PM

I still see a lot of up side in Hill, guy is still only 22 & his 2009 season wasn't a fluke.

I am not sure what has happened to him since that time, might be a lack of a permanent field position with the team, as he has been thrown around a bit, or perhaps the decline/retirements of our older forwards over the past couple of years, has had a major impact on him playing in the forward line.

Topdog
30-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Far out. Rocket said when Hall came to the club he was going to use him in a decoy role now and then. Have not seen it at all.

Unfortunately our midfielders are stupid.

AndrewP6
30-05-2011, 07:38 PM

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Really gets on my nerves to see Hall making a lead, 2 or 3 defenders go to him, and someone kicks him the ball!! Simple maths, people!

Cyberdoggie
30-05-2011, 07:40 PM

Hehe, well i guess that might limit potential a tad.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Reports are that cooney is possible but Hall doubtfall. Fantasia said there is a chance for Dollhouse and Barlow to be called up and elevated off the rookie list

Mofra
01-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Reports are that cooney is possible but Hall doubtfall. Fantasia said there is a chance for Dollhouse and Barlow to be called up and elevated off the rookie list
I'd love to see what Dalhaus could do at senior level, but it may be throwing him to the wolves a bit by making him debut at the Cattery.

Sedat
01-06-2011, 12:56 PM
I'd love to see what Dalhaus could do at senior level, but it may be throwing him to the wolves a bit by making him debut at the Cattery.
Their defenders aren't overly quick, and I think they would be a really good club for him to debut against. Plus he's a Geelong Falcons lad isn't he, so he would be familiar with the ground and the conditions?

Mantis
01-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Been mentioned on Twitter that:

Barlow & Dahlhaus are training with the main squad.

Hargrave & Cooney training.

Mulligan congratulated by all players & coaches at end of training. (he must be coming in)

bulldogsthru&thru
01-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Plus he's a Geelong Falcons lad isn't he, so he would be familiar with the ground and the conditions?

Correct he is...I say give him a shot at it pending injuries. I don't think anyone should be dropped for him to come in. Gilbee will be dropped for Hargrave, but if Ryan doesn't pull up fit then i think Dollhouse should get a run. He may be the sub though if Hill replaces Gilbee. Grant should only come in if Hall is out. No other changes required IMO. Only remaining issue is if Cooney is to play who comes out?

bulldogsthru&thru
01-06-2011, 01:09 PM

Also Hargrave & Cooney training.

Mulligan congratulated by all players & coaches at end of training so he must be coming in

thats interesting. I wonder who Mulligan will replace. Probably Gilbee? But if Hargrave comes back it certainly poses intriguing positioning for our defense

Maddog37
01-06-2011, 01:18 PM
So who is out for Mulligan?

Is that Tommy to stay forward, BBBH out and Mulligan in.

Reid for Cooney?

Sedat
01-06-2011, 01:19 PM
thats interesting. I wonder who Mulligan will replace. Probably Gilbee? But if Hargrave comes back it certainly poses intriguing positioning for our defense
Mulligan would be a good match up for Pods and hopefully it frees up Lake to do his Scarlet/Fletcher thing marshalling the defensive group. Also frees up Morris to take a dangerous Geelong small (like a Stokes type). Lake's clearly not physically capable of clamping down on a key forward target (not that Geelong are flushed with them at the moment).

The Pie Man
01-06-2011, 01:21 PM

Mulligan congratulated by all players & coaches at end of training. (he must be coming in)

Have you done a 180 on twitter Mantis? :)

I was anti it 12 months ago, but it's a great source of news

bulldogsthru&thru
01-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Reid for Cooney?

oh yeah thats right. I forgot about Reids injury...

Moles is still injured. A shame for him as he would of had a full game last week to prove himself. HS reported it was illness prior to last weeks game now its reporting its his shoulder

azabob
01-06-2011, 01:54 PM

Also over twitter that Montgomery confirmed Mulligan will play, to allow us to continue with Williams playing up the ground.

G-Mo77
01-06-2011, 02:03 PM
With Mulligan coming in does that mean that Lake is a possibility to miss as well?

Hopefully Dahlhaus gets the nod.

Mantis
01-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Have you done a 180 on twitter Mantis? :)

I was anti it 12 months ago, but it's a great source of news

Not I.

I noticed soemone had posted it on BF and grabbed it to share here.

azabob
01-06-2011, 02:21 PM
With Mulligan coming in does that mean that Lake is a possibility to miss as well?

Hopefully Dahlhaus gets the nod.

I don't think so. It was reported Hall didn't train and Williams will play forward.

G-Mo77
01-06-2011, 03:18 PM
I don't think so. It was reported Hall didn't train and Williams will play forward.

I just don't see him as a forward. Kicked 2 lucky opportunist goals last week and IMO will be lucky to kick another. Williams has played pretty well this year down back minus the West Coast game and I'd rather him continue to play there.

azabob
01-06-2011, 03:24 PM
I just don't see him as a forward. Kicked 2 lucky opportunist goals last week and IMO will be lucky to kick another. Williams has played pretty well this year down back minus the West Coast game and I'd rather him continue to play there.

Im not sure. The MC obviously think its something worth having another look at, but you are right the two goals he kicked were not from marks.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-06-2011, 03:36 PM

I agree with your assessment on Williams going forward. If Mulligan is to come in why not start Williams in defence as normal and use Mulligan as a back up defender on the bench.
You could then release Williams if need be up forward during the game to allow Mulligan to take his place down back. Minson would take Williams place up forward allowing Will to do the ruckwork with Hudson against Ottens and Co.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-06-2011, 03:37 PM
the two goals he kicked were not from marks.

true but what forward would have had any chance to mark the ball in the match against Hawthorn?? Hall could muster nothing so its hard to expect Williams to do much with such woeful entry into the forward 50. I'd like to see him given another go. I think it could be a good outcome for the doggies if he comes good

bulldogsthru&thru
01-06-2011, 03:39 PM
I agree with your assessment on Williams going forward. If Mulligan is to come in why not start Williams in defence as normal and use Mulligan as a back up defender on the bench.
You could then release Williams if need be up forward during the game to allow Mulligan to take his place down back. Minson would take Williams place up forward allowing Will to do the ruckwork with Hudson against Ottens and Co.

while these are good backup options i don't like the idea of having so many part-time forwards in our forward line. Having Williams, Minson and possibly Mulligan/Markovic pinch hit as a forward will not help the development of our forward line. I think one needs to be made into a forward (if we continue to pinch hit one of them as a forward) rather than rotating them through every now and then. Williams is the best option for this

G-Mo77
01-06-2011, 03:52 PM
while these are good backup options i don't like the idea of having so many part-time forwards in our forward line. Having Williams, Minson and possibly Mulligan/Markovic pinch hit as a forward will not help the development of our forward line. I think one needs to be made into a forward (if we continue to pinch hit one of them as a forward) rather than rotating them through every now and then. Williams is the best option for this

Nothing wrong with Liam Jones taking the load. He and some smaller forwards around him is a better option IMO.

BulldogBelle
01-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Also over twitter that Montgomery confirmed Mulligan will play, to allow us to continue with Williams playing up the ground.

Mulligan being rewarded for some good form for Williamstown, and for the hard work he has done since coming to the club on the Rookie list.

Do WOOFers see him as a senior CHB? Or only as a senior FB?

I think he could also be used to pinch hit in the ruck - I doubt we will see Hudson back for a while especially on a larger groud like Kardinia Park

He is far quicker and more athletic than Markovic, but I see Markovic as a much more natural footballer, a much better kick, and a far better decision maker - will be interesting how Mulligan's skills shape up in the AFL.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Nothing wrong with Liam Jones taking the load. He and some smaller forwards around him is a better option IMO.

True but with Hall due to retire i think we need another tall option. Jones would be the only tall target down there which i don't think is reliable....if the smalls can learn to crumb a bit better it may work out considering where the modern game is going but we need another tall option to create those crumbing opportunities IMO

G-Mo77
01-06-2011, 04:01 PM
True but with Hall due to retire i think we need another tall option. Jones would be the only tall target down there which i don't think is reliable....if the smalls can learn to crumb a bit better it may work out considering where the modern game is going but we need another tall option to create those crumbing opportunities IMO

Grant is the second tall. Yeah we need a crumber but we don't have one. We have a lot of smalls that can play a very good leading small forward role and midefielders that can rotate in there. With Hall out our players look for them more with him in it's Hall or nothing.

Williams is a backman, has been for many years now.

Maddog37
01-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Tom needs a chance to play up forward to help in his development at the very least. If someone can convince him to go for his marks we might get a pleasant surprise. Also he at least tries to tackle etc which helps the balance of the forward line.

Sedat
01-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Tom needs a chance to play up forward to help in his development at the very least. If someone can convince him to go for his marks we might get a pleasant surprise. Also he at least tries to tackle etc which helps the balance of the forward line.
This. I don't like kneejerk positional changes at the best of times but our forward 50 is so bereft of defensive intensity at the moment that we simply need to get players in there that have a willingness to apply some defensive heat on the rebounders. The likes of Brent Guerra should never, ever be allowed to stroll around and collect 35 possessions, 18 marks, 2 goals and 3 goal assists in any match.

Assuming Hall is out, a forward line with Williams and Jones (and hopefully Dahlhaus) goes some way to making the likes of Scarlett and Milburn think twice before they stroll out of defensive 50. I agree that Williams is a long-term CHB for us but against Geelong he doesn't really have a positional match-up down back so I'm happy to see him up forward this week.

Greystache
01-06-2011, 05:07 PM

Nothing I saw on Sunday indicated he does. Whether it was from lack of awareness or lack of concern, Schoenmakers ran off him several times and Tom didn't make any effort to chase him down, a couple of times this resulted in shots on goal for the Hawks. It seems defensive efforts in our forward line isn't a priority, but I was disappointed Tom didn't make more of an effort.

The Underdog
01-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Mulligan being rewarded for some good form for Williamstown, and for the hard work he has done since coming to the club on the Rookie list.

Do WOOFers see him as a senior CHB? Or only as a senior FB?

I think he could also be used to pinch hit in the ruck - I doubt we will see Hudson back for a while especially on a larger groud like Kardinia Park

He is far quicker and more athletic than Markovic, but I see Markovic as a much more natural footballer, a much better kick, and a far better decision maker - will be interesting how Mulligan's skills shape up in the AFL.

I mostly have seen him as being a Williamstown FB and then a delisting candidate at the end of the year, but maybe I need to reevaluate. Or maybe i'm about to be proved right.
Let's see shall we?

Agree with your last paragraph, more athletic than Marko but not a natural footballer. Just what we need, another poor kick with no instinct.

G-Mo77
01-06-2011, 05:13 PM
No Dahlhaus this week :(

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/115262/default.aspx

The Dogs will not elevate a rookie this week in place of injured 2010 draftee Tom Hill.

Desipura
01-06-2011, 05:49 PM
No Dahlhaus this week :(

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/115262/default.aspx

The Dogs will not elevate a rookie this week in place of injured 2010 draftee Tom Hill.
It does not say Dahlhaus is not playing

LostDoggy
01-06-2011, 05:54 PM
It does not say Dahlhaus is not playing
I also read it as he is not playing, seeing we are not elevating a rookie this week. Or has he already been elevated ?

G-Mo77
01-06-2011, 06:09 PM
I also read it as he is not playing, seeing we are not elevating a rookie this week. Or has he already been elevated ?

No he hasn't been elevated yet so if the article is correct we won't be playing Doll House this week.

jazzadogs
01-06-2011, 07:22 PM
What has put Mulligan ahead of Markovic? Or is there a chance that both will play?

Rocco Jones
01-06-2011, 07:33 PM
What has put Mulligan ahead of Markovic? Or is there a chance that both will play?

No chance.

It seems like Mulligan is coming in to free up Williams to play in the 2nd ruck role.

I really hope we rest Shaggy and Cooney. I know it's pessimistic but we are no chance to beat the Cats. Our fixture gets easier after that and I hope we use the Cats game to help building us for the following 5 games.

Rocco Jones
01-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Hall looks a certain out and the news report indicated Gilbee was very likely to be dropped. As much as I want Higgins to join them, I think the MC will give him another go due to a few senior players already being out.

They dropped Hudson and Grant after the WC and Gilbee (with Hall injured) seems a rational way of dealing with the senior player issues. As long as they drop Higgins if he doesn't do the right things against the Cats, I will will be happy.

I mentioned Grant earlier. He survived in the senior side for awhile due to his talent and he was/should have been dropped due to his lack of application. He kicked 4 for Willy but reports mentioned he was magical at times but his application was again rather poor. I really hope he doesn't get his spot back because if he does, what was the actual point of dropping him in the first place?

Hotdog60
01-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Geelong will be a hard task, I think we need some strong bodies for the contest. If there are to be any changes I wouldn't go overboard, Hall maybe as he maybe injured.

I would keep Lake in a hope to God he can only get better and find form, we could bring in Mulligan for Hall and send Lake to CHF with Jones deep forward and rotate Lake and Jones through the course of the game.

We keep the same ruck setup and have Williams rest in the pocket.

Gilbee could make way for Dahlhaus or Djerrkura

I might get close with my selections this week.:D

Bumper Bulldogs
01-06-2011, 09:12 PM

Excellent news but who is looking like the long term players out, I have heard Hall is out for at least 6 weeks.....It's looking like Johno all over again! did we kill a black cat?

Bumper Bulldogs
01-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Mulligan would be a good match up for Pods and hopefully it frees up Lake to do his Scarlet/Fletcher thing marshalling the defensive group. Also frees up Morris to take a dangerous Geelong small (like a Stokes type). Lake's clearly not physically capable of clamping down on a key forward target (not that Geelong are flushed with them at the moment).

Yes but the papers are all writing about Cam Mooney so i would expect him to come out all guns blazing after the weeks media stating his gone!

jazzadogs
01-06-2011, 10:07 PM
No chance.

It seems like Mulligan is coming in to free up Williams to play in the 2nd ruck role.

I really hope we rest Shaggy and Cooney. I know it's pessimistic but we are no chance to beat the Cats. Our fixture gets easier after that and I hope we use the Cats game to help building us for the following 5 games.
So why is Mulligan being played ahead of Markovic? Is it just a case of wanting to give Mulligan exposure to AFL level, or rewarding his good form? If it's just rewarding good form, has his form actually been better than Markovic?

Bulldog Joe
01-06-2011, 10:52 PM
So why is Mulligan being played ahead of Markovic? Is it just a case of wanting to give Mulligan exposure to AFL level, or rewarding his good form? If it's just rewarding good form, has his form actually been better than Markovic?

I believe it is about pace. Mulligan is reported to have pace, which is the knock on Markovic.

LostDoggy
02-06-2011, 12:43 AM
Maybe it's just me but we look to be giving kids a go and trying some up and comers in different positions. Tom may just turn out to be an effective swingman, if he isn't doing the job down back send him forward or even into the ruck. Good on Mulli I hope he can provide an option, at least it's adding to our depth.

Mofra
02-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Any chance Mulligan will also provide a chop-out in the ruck? By all accounts he has done so in the past (albeit Willy seconds).

Nuggety Back Pocket
02-06-2011, 03:08 PM
How do you think Ben Jolley would go?

I think we need to face facts, we're declining quickly and it's worth finding out a bit about our young kids rather than waiting until next season.

Agree with your observations and I would be pleased to see Libba, Howard Wallis retained
together with Mulligan coming in on debut. We simply went into the Hawthorn game without a game plan. I cannot recall seeing 3 opposition defenders in Guerra, Birchall and Gibson with either 30 or 30 plus disposals and most of them on their own before.What was our MC thinking. In all the proposed team selections I have seen on Woof this week not one has included Hudson who is still our best ruckman in spite of recent improvement by Minson. Minson gave us something in attack against Richmond with 4 goals. Williams effots as a second ruckman last week was deplorable.
Can we expect Minson to take the ruck on his own? Not in today's modern football I would suggest. I have selected the following line up against Geelong, which I believe will at least make us a competitive unit. I would like two of Robert Murphy, one to play forward and one down back, but we do know that is not possible. We will continue to perform poorly whilst we continue to not pinpoint players on the lead when going forward. The team has been selected for a purpose, for example Lake to support Williams, Morris likewise with Mulligan and Murphy similarly with Jones. I have left out Cooney, Hargrave, Hall and Reid on the understanding that they are injured and dropped Gilbee who apart from the Richmond game is sadly out of form.

Backs Picken Lake Williams
Half backs Morris, Mulligan, Wood
Centre Ward Cross, Hill
Half fwds Sherman Murphy Jones
Fwds Minson, Grant, Higgins
Ruck Hudson, Griffen, Boyd
Inter Giansircusa Liberatore Howard Wallis

SlimPickens
02-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Backs Picken Lake Williams
Half backs Morris, Mulligan, Wood
Centre Ward Cross, Hill
Half fwds Sherman Murphy Jones
Fwds Minson, Grant, Higgins
Ruck Hudson, Griffen, Boyd
Inter Giansircusa Liberatore Howard Wallis

A very tall side to play against Geelong, i just can't see them having Minson and Hudson in the same side. I'd retain another small or consider playing Cooney instead of Hudson.

Ghost Dog
02-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Team selections Video with a very lively Paul Williams - Great effort!~

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/team%20announcement/tabid/16485/default.aspx

bit of a rabbit in the spotlight to start, but picks up speed...and check out the professionalism with the digital whiteboard...you beauty!
Well done to the club for putting that up.
Get well soon Rodney Rocket.